• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Talking about the up-B, what would be you guys take on it? I would make it like this: The star leaves Geno as the doll shrinks in size and the star carries it flying upward. If you press B again while in the air, the star throws the doll down like a projectile, so you have to be careful to not press B while recovering.
I like Geno's up B in Legacy XP. Geno turning into a Cannon to recover that can be used as to attack and string a short combo. Would be pretty happy with that

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Something that particularly annoys me about this GameStop leak is that people really aren't talking about this one unlike us. I get this leak probably isn't a leak at all, but I find it really aggravating that the Smash community will talk about an Overwatch Switch case that 100% most certainly means Tracer is coming to Smash, but yet completely ignore all the actual compelling evidence in favor of Geno. It just rubs me the wrong way.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I wanted to address this post because it's honestly kind of a summary of most of the accusations I've gotten since I started doing this in November 2018:

-My predictions are not my personal wishlist. They are who I believe is the most likely based on everything I've found since I've had access to insider stuff. I don't want Dante or Master Chief and I really wasn't attached to the idea of Crash until a few months ago. I don't say Geno and Waluigi because I want them I say them because that's who the current evidence points to. I even addressed that I regularly told the Geno fanbase to temper their expectations during the Smash 4 days and, as always, I have receipts:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2402#post-23830018

-I'm not going to predict certain characters just to make people feel better. Contrary to this post, I have gotten in a ton of arguments in this thread about Rayman, Doom Guy, Rex and Pyra, Isaac, Shantae, etc. On my end, not a lot of evidence has come up. Does this mean they won't happen? No. Will I tell people not to support certain characters because of this? No. Information changes and that's why, for instance, I'm now heavily considering Dixie Kong when many people in the Dixie personally messaged me and I was sad to tell them that nothing really came up for her. That's honestly been the case for first party characters in general. I'm not going to lie to people about what I've found but at the same time I'm not going to tell them to cancel their support.

-Most of the harassment I've gotten can honestly be boiled down to four fanbases because people have interpreted me as not predicting certain characters as a slight. I literally mean no offense when I express doubt or say not much has come up. That's just it. Stuff has come up for Geno and the others which is why they're part of my predictions in the first. If something damning came up to suggest Geno wasn't coming, I'd simply drop him from my predictions. I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't think Geno's chances were great and my opinions during the Smash 4 days are definitive proof of this.
Have you ever considered the remote possibility of Geno and Waluigi not being separate characters? And I don’t mean that whole “Waluigeno” thing, but, say, a “Mario All-Stars” sort of deal with them and probably Paper Mario? If these six Challenger Packs really are the end, I could legitimately see them pulling something like that because they have these two big Smash requests that won’t be filled for years if either misses this pass, and a chance for Nintendo to weasel their way in a bit and further “separate” PM from its RPG roots, with Geno working to soften the blow.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I doubt that the possible direct could show challenger 7 & 8 since Min Min was revealed last month.

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice
While we are in our best position possible with this leak, I do think this should be stated. Pamela Horton is a cancer survivor and she is currently recovering from being in the hospital since the beginning of July. Regardless if this leak is real or not, just please be respectful however this turns out. I know most of us would NEVER say anything horrible, but this is the Internet and people get away with things they’ve said. Again, I know most if not all of you would never say anything hurtful or demeaning. If you want to send condolences her way, she does have a twitter account: https://mobile.twitter.com/pamelahorton13?lang=en

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I doubt that the possible direct could show challenger 7 & 8 since Min Min was revealed last month.
We’ve known that it was an Arms character since March, however. That’s an important factor that makes a double-reveal more likely.

Still, it wouldn’t surprise me if it gets announced to just be a Mario direct, anyway, so we’d only see #7.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I am still being cautious of this whole thing, but wanted to add on to more of my thinking if this is a real "whoops" leak.

As for the footage that was used during her comment about Geno, using the spirit and not the actual of the "apparent reveal" my possible thoughts on that are either:

A.) Nintendo revealed the fighter to GameStop since they were going to make this "support" video for Origami King so GameStop used recycled footage while making the video
B.) Due to the Pandemic since we know things were shifted AND she has been in the hospital recovering ... they were in a bind since they couldn't easily redo/voice over that small section of the video. Let's say they used the reveal footage originally in the video and the "quick and dirty" way to "fix" things were to use the Geno spirit footage during her line. This way, it would sow confusion on what she means. Look what's happening right now, there isn't a split consensus. There are three sides: Confirmed! / Let's wait and see / No it's not a confirmation.

Just a thought I had. As I mentioned I am still being cautious about it ... but even if her "wording was off" it still wouldn't fit the bill if she was referring to the Mii Costume or Spirit as I mentioned some time back.

Come on direct ...

Griselda

Smash Lord
What do you think Geno's crowd cheer is?

...On a related note, I was just disappointed when I realized that Link's crowd cheer is just 'Link Link Link'. All this time, I've been hearing 'Think Like Link'.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Something that particularly annoys me about this GameStop leak is that people really aren't talking about this one unlike us. I get this leak probably isn't a leak at all, but I find it really aggravating that the Smash community will talk about an Overwatch Switch case that 100% most certainly means Tracer is coming to Smash, but yet completely ignore all the actual compelling evidence in favor of Geno. It just rubs me the wrong way.
Given everything going on with the Smash Community the past few weeks, I can't say too many people have been hyped about the series as a whole lately.

It's not a popularity contest so I'm okay with this going under the radar if it's the real deal.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
While we are in our best position possible with this leak, I do think this should be stated. Pamela Horton is a cancer survivor and she is currently recovering from being in the hospital since the beginning of July. Regardless if this leak is real or not, just please be respectful however this turns out. I know most of us would NEVER say anything horrible, but this is the Internet and people get away with things they’ve said. Again, I know most if not all of you would never say anything hurtful or demeaning. If you want to send condolences her way, she does have a twitter account: https://mobile.twitter.com/pamelahorton13?lang=en
Maybe we shouldn’t only be nice to her because she’s a survivor—maybe we should be nice to her because she’s a human being.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
What do you think Geno's crowd cheer is?

...On a related note, I was just disappointed when I realized that Link's crowd cheer is just 'Link Link Link'. All this time, I've been hearing 'Think Like Link'.
They say Geno’s name in the cadence of Geno Beam’s sound effect

GeeeeeEEEEEEEEEENOO!

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Yeah I hope she gets better. My best wishes and all. Leak could be real or fake (probably fake as something of that calibre probably wouldn't slip through the cracks) but I'm as I'm sure many others will put a dedicated wish in for a speedy recovery for her instead of the leak being true.

On a different note, Genos chances are still pretty good all things considered and I'm sure that it's no skin off anyone's shoulder if that post did mean something else (which, again it probably did)

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Example: Imo Rex & Pyra are very likely. Many people think this too. But here? I dont see people talk about them because Fatman is not talking much about them.
What are you talking about? Rex is talked about on almost every single page of this thread and was in more than half of people's FP2 prediction lists? I'm hyperaware of this because i specifically don't want Rex in

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Have you ever considered the remote possibility of Geno and Waluigi not being separate characters? And I don’t mean that whole “Waluigeno” thing, but, say, a “Mario All-Stars” sort of deal with them and probably Paper Mario? If these six Challenger Packs really are the end, I could legitimately see them pulling something like that because they have these two big Smash requests that won’t be filled for years if either misses this pass, and a chance for Nintendo to weasel their way in a bit and further “separate” PM from its RPG roots, with Geno working to soften the blow.
No because not only is the evidence not very strong for another Nintendo franchise focused pack but the evidence for a Square Enix pack is much more stacked. Like I've been saying, the first party stuff is very weird because there's evidence suggesting more is coming but not as Season 2 and not as a true Season 3 so it's hard to define. That said, I have strong doubts of an honest to God Mario pack as part of Season 2.

zferolie

Smash Hero
That geno leak is nothing honestly. I am 100% sure it was just Gamestop ****ing up and not doing any research, and just googled googke smash and assumed he was in and just said that to try and sound reasonable.

That Ryza leak is more legit but not sure how likely it is. I think she could be quite fun using alchemy, and its a good choice for a gust/koei techmo rep honestly. Ryu makes a bit more sense but perhaps sakurai and KT wanted to try and get more buzz for that series.

Had fatman said anything about hearing her?

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Hey hey. Since this GameStop person is on our radar anyway, and since they're currently in the hospital, I think it'd be a good idea, fake leak or no, fake fan or no, to send her some well wishes. Lets make someone's day for once, yeah?
Here's the Twitter account.
https://twitter.com/PamelaHorton13?s=09

Trevenant

Smash Lord
No because not only is the evidence not very strong for another Nintendo franchise focused pack but the evidence for a Square Enix pack is much more stacked. Like I've been saying, the first party stuff is very weird because there's evidence suggesting more is coming but not as Season 2 and not as a true Season 3 so it's hard to define. That said, I have strong doubts of an honest to God Mario pack as part of Season 2.
Weren't you saying Waluigi? What is your stance on him after Samurai apparently fully reiterating that these are the last 5 for probably about the 3rd time? This seems to be one of those times where what he says goes like not too many newcomers for base.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hey hey. Since this GameStop person is on our radar anyway, and since they're currently in the hospital, I think it'd be a good idea, fake leak or no, fake fan or no, to send her some well wishes. Lets make someone's day for once, yeah?
I wish her well for sure. I do think she was just reading from a script, so dont attack her guys. It was whoever wrote that script is at fault

MattX20

Smash Hero
The only way we'll reach 3000 pages before the 20th is if the thread keeps this rate of posts up for the next 4 days

Firox

Smash Master
Sidebar after seeing her twitter account:
Holy crap, that Bayonetta cosplay is fire.

D

Deleted member

Good on you guys for not attacking her. I've always wanted people to treat others with respect, which is sorely lacking in the Smash community. Mistake or not, it's not right to harass her.

People outside this thread almost certainly will, though. It's a shame.

Sidebar after seeing her twitter account:
Holy crap, that Bayonetta cosplay is fire.
Yeah, I saw that! She looks the part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dukefire

Smash Master
So much hype appearing with July 20 four days away. I'm pretty much ready for it, but also ready to take cover for salt.

Plus, IDK if Atelier Ryza would get a rep for smash ultimate. Still, Sakurai and Nintendo holds all the cards, so surprises are always bound to show.

Also, here is the the trailer for Atelier Ryza in case people doesn't know.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So guys, don't get too excited because this could easily just be a case of GameStop using a poor choice of words and really bad research on their part. I know the phrase is old at this point but: "Take it with a grain of salt" ... BUT GameStop may have made an oopsie

In one of their game overviews (Those videos they usually play in-store on those little TVs) for Origami King. They spoke about Mario RPG and how it led to Paper Mario as a series... and she says those magic words: "Everyone freaked out when Geno was announced for Smash!"

Since Covid messed everything up, its entirely possible that Geno was supposed to have been revealed by now and these being recorded in advanced with information that was supposed to go out at a certain time and yeah you see where I'm going

But again, the more likely explanation is that they just took the spirit inclusion to mean something more than it was and they just flubbed their research and used poor wording

Still.. it sure is something when even GameStop is talking about our boi
To add onto this, a discord user had this to say about the video:
View attachment 278592
Like with any piece of potential info, don’t take this as confirmation just yet. But, it’s lookin like our time is upon us...
As much as I'd like to believe this was a genuine slip-up, I think it's much more likely that it was just some very badly worded phrasing by a largely ignorant and apathetic Gamestop employee. People like that are the kinds of people who think every Pokemon is Pikachu and that Super Mario 64 is the Dark Souls of Mario games, so I wouldn't put it past them to make mistakes like this. That said, if this does end up being an real slip-up, then OH BOY.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
What is this game stop leak about geno?

Link?

Anyway whatever it is guys don't conclude it's real you remember the whole grinch leak incident I'm so glad I was only 50/50 on that one
(by the way no one go to gamefaq they think you guys are crazy that you think this is a confirmation but that's gamefaqs for Ya.)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What is this game stop leak about geno?

Link?

Anyway whatever it is guys don't conclude it's real you remember the whole grinch leak incident I'm so glad I was only 50/50 on that one
(by the way no one go to gamefaq they think you guys are crazy that you think this is a confirmation but that's gamefaqs for Ya.)
MisterMike quoted it in the post before yours - here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsTIB4w-Gq4

At about the 1:30 mark, the host of the video discusses Super Mario RPG, which includes the phrase "I mean, there's a reason people were freaking out when Geno was announced for Smash."

Some people are dismissing it as referring to the inclusion of a Geno spirit (since that's shown when she says that), though I don't recall people "freaking out" about that. Still, it could be a coincidence or a poor choice of words, or it could be a legitimate slip-up; we'll have to wait a few days (assuming the Direct on the 20th actually happens) and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Gamefaqs, the place to complain if a certain character is getting a lot of hype for a possible reveal.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
MisterMike quoted it in the post before yours - here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsTIB4w-Gq4

At about the 1:30 mark, the host of the video discusses Super Mario RPG, which includes the phrase "I mean, there's a reason people were freaking out when Geno was announced for Smash."

Some people are dismissing it as referring to the inclusion of a Geno spirit (since that's shown when she says that), though I don't recall people "freaking out" about that.
let alone his spirit was NEVER announced or shown in a Nintendo video. It was discovered when people played and posted videos. I just wanted to add that.

MattX20

Smash Hero

Some people are dismissing it as referring to the inclusion of a Geno spirit (since that's shown when she says that), though I don't recall people "freaking out" about that.
and I doubt the script she was reading from was referring to the Mii Costume since that was over 4 years ago, and even then, people weren't freaking out about it either.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman

Geno's spirit was also never actually announced. It was just a thing in the game that you had to find for yourself.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
That geno leak is nothing honestly. I am 100% sure it was just Gamestop ****ing up and not doing any research, and just googled googke smash and assumed he was in and just said that to try and sound reasonable.

That Ryza leak is more legit but not sure how likely it is. I think she could be quite fun using alchemy, and its a good choice for a gust/koei techmo rep honestly. Ryu makes a bit more sense but perhaps sakurai and KT wanted to try and get more buzz for that series.

Had fatman said anything about hearing her?
I can understand GameStop failing to do their due diligence here. I can’t see Pam Horton doing so, however. She knows her stuff.

Last edited:

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
I already said it on Star Road but I think the GameStop incident is in fact a leak. The video was supposedly done before June, the woman has been hospitalized since, and Tiffany mentioned dates were changed not long ago. So basically what happened is: they made the video with the old dates (7 and 14th of July via Tiffany) in mind and to release it today. But then plans changed, the dates have moved, but they kept their release schedule and forgot to edit out a small part that was supposed to talk about an event that happened on the 14th.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
people are talking about it, they just dont latch onto stuff they dont know is real or fake

Bomber57

Smash Cadet
Been lurking in this thread for a little while now, especially since my boy Banjo is already in. Might start posting in here from time to time, so hello!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
R RetrogamerMax I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, buddy. My lines are always open if you need an ear. ♡

-

So... this Gamestop leak fiasco. Personally, I'm very hard-pressed to find legitimacy in it. There are things in Geno's favor, don't get me wrong, but I have a feeling this was just a massive misunderstanding. It's so easy for the lines to get muddied in the process of information being given, and especially considering this is from an E3 interviewer during a year without E3, the first year in an unspeakable amount of time that we've lacked one, I can see things being poorly-handled along the way. I'd love if it was an actual leak for Geno on one hand, because that'd be so, so sick, but I can't help my doubts.

Now, on the other hand, I kinda hope it... isn't a leak for Geno. Think about it. A slip-up like that on the magnitude of leaking highly-anticipated Nintendo DLC is something I could see people losing work for. Even if the interviewer herself in question (to whom I wish the best and a speedy recovery for) doesn't, what of the people who got the information to her? The people who wrote the script for this, namely, would fall under scrutiny, and people could lose their livelihoods because of that. Then again, could they lose their jobs for the HUGE misinformation, even if it isn't a real leak? I dunno. It's one thing for Joker's render to be leaked on Best Buy, and it's another for a Gamestop higher-up to leak an entire DLC fighter... or otherwise give false info that could damage FP2's marketing.

(Let me be clear, though, that Geno not getting in doesn't mean that FP2 would be any less marketable. It's more the viewpoint of Gamestop's CEO and all involved parties in a potential termination. I personally don't think it's worth firing someone at ALL, but let's not understate that corporate executives are ruthless...)

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
I already said it on Star Road but I think the GameStop incident is in fact a leak. The video was supposedly done before June, the woman has been hospitalized since, and Tiffany mentioned dates were changed not long ago. So basically what happened is: they made the video with the old dates (7 and 14th of July via Tiffany) in mind and to release it today. But then plans changed, the dates have moved, but they kept their release schedule and forgot to edit out a small part that was supposed to talk about an event that happened on the 14th.
The video dropped on the 13th, so the event would’ve had to have happened earlier—so the 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom