• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TowelRoyale

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm the person who made the tweet about the Japanese banner. I deleted the tweet as I thought I had looked at the wrong account and didn't want to spread possible misinformation. It seems as if the banner may be from the Nintendo linked account though, so who knows?

Dukefire

Smash Master
I do hope people understand I REALLY want Geno playable, I just have a huge target on me labeled "Geno Fan" and if he does not end up getting in smash I am going to hear about it.

I'd rather brace myself for the possibility of getting a Mii costume and try and be happy with that potential outcome, otherwise if that ends up as Geno's fate I'll be hit with not only disappointment but also the internet rubbing it in. So I mention the Mii costume possibility and preemptively give my thoughts on it as often as possible. This helps prepare myself to be "ok" with it in case it happens and also hopefully soften the backlash from the internet ( as it will be known before hand that I am ok with accepting such an outcome ).

Some times I even find myself watering down my own Geno support purposefully because I don't want to come off too biased.

I am trying to give an honest look at speculation and that can be tough to do when you strongly want a character. Geno has often been a part of smash speculation rumors/theories etc... for Smash Ultimate so its hard to avoid talking about him. Sometimes I feel like I'm mentioning him too much and try and cut back simply to keep thing level headed and fair. Maybe I sometimes avoid it too much or downplay some thing going in Genos favor too much. Again I do this simply to try and avoid coming off bias, but I'm also well aware downplaying things too much and I'm being dishonest about his chances (which are legitimately very good). It is truly a balancing act I'm trying to pull off by being a fan of Geno and also trying to not look like I'm overly bias in favor of him.

So I apologize if I have disheartened anyone by doing any of that. Truth is I think Geno has an excellent shot at becoming a playable character and I have tons of hope for him becoming one!!!
Many are hoping that their wishes on Star Road are wanting to coming true. Lets hope and tread carefully at the same time.

So then with days counting down.........

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I do hope people understand I REALLY want Geno playable, I just have a huge target on me labeled "Geno Fan" and if he does not end up getting in smash I am going to hear about it.

I'd rather brace myself for the possibility of getting a Mii costume and try and be happy with that potential outcome, otherwise if that ends up as Geno's fate I'll be hit with not only disappointment but also the internet rubbing it in. So I mention the Mii costume possibility and preemptively give my thoughts on it as often as possible. This helps prepare myself to be "ok" with it in case it happens and also hopefully soften the backlash from the internet ( as it will be known before hand that I am ok with accepting such an outcome ).

Some times I even find myself watering down my own Geno support purposefully because I don't want to come off too biased.

I am trying to give an honest look at speculation and that can be tough to do when you strongly want a character. Geno has often been a part of smash speculation rumors/theories etc... for Smash Ultimate so its hard to avoid talking about him. Sometimes I feel like I'm mentioning him too much and try and cut back simply to keep thing level headed and fair. Maybe I sometimes avoid it too much or downplay some thing going in Genos favor too much. Again I do this simply to try and avoid coming off bias, but I'm also well aware downplaying things too much and I'm being dishonest about his chances (which are legitimately very good). It is truly a balancing act I'm trying to pull off by being a fan of Geno and also trying to not look like I'm overly bias in favor of him.

So I apologize if I have disheartened anyone by doing any of that. Truth is I think Geno has an excellent shot at becoming a playable character and I have tons of hope for him becoming one!!!
Hey, even if Geno doesn't make it into Smash in any capacity, you along with PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate and Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and TerminalMontage TerminalMontage have still been the people who've led the charge for this movement, that much is undeniable. Our desire for Geno in Smash is shared amongst all of us on this thread, and you guys have been really good at maintaining support for all this time. I can't speak for everyone here, but I can't thank you enough, man. :)

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
Now, if Geno does appear as challenger 7, which character may take over the longest request character spot? (Other than Waluigi of course.)

Also, how would Geno's trailer play out if you want to run your imagination.
After Geno... Well Geno's issue is he is the last of the classical request. We of course have Goku being a popular long lasting request but i take it we are not really gonna talk about Goku.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast

Your username is PapaGenos, I don’t think there’s many people questioning who you’re rooting for. I’m with you though, I could see either playable or premium Mii and while I’d prefer the first, the second is a very real possibility and I’d still be more or less happy with it if Nintendo went with someone like Neku or Sora.

Hopefully we’ll get some answers next week.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
New Sakurai Column is out, just him talking about Min Min, nothing major. Important thing is

Straight from the man himself, ONLY 5 more DLC fighters, after they are finished, development is DONE. Can we please stop acting like any of this talk about bonus characters makes sense?
Don't get me wrong, I always thought it was a bit of a stretch to imagine more characters after ELEVEN DLC fighters, but we don't gotta bite at each other for speculating on a speculation thread.

After Geno... Well Geno's issue is he is the last of the classical request. We of course have Goku being a popular long lasting request but i take it we are not really gonna talk about Goku.
What is the consensus on Classic requests anyway? I get that the fanbase isn't a hive mind but it feels like that term has been thrown around a lot and people tweak the meaning sometimes to fit a narritive.

Cuzeba123

Smash Apprentice
New Sakurai Column is out, just him talking about Min Min, nothing major. Important thing is

Straight from the man himself, ONLY 5 more DLC fighters, after they are finished, development is DONE. Can we please stop acting like any of this talk about bonus characters makes sense?
I think there's still the possibilty of characters outside of the Fighter Pass happening before the pass ends, but I don't think that will happen tbh

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Don't get me wrong, I always thought it was a bit of a stretch to imagine more characters after ELEVEN DLC fighters, but we don't gotta bite at each other for speculating on a speculation thread.

What is the consensus on Classic requests anyway? I get that the fanbase isn't a hive mind but it feels like that term has been thrown around a lot and people tweak the meaning sometimes to fit a narritive.

“Classic” requests to me are characters that are notably popular requests since Brawl. This is different from the most requested characters at that moment or an all-star group of requests, since Bandana Dee would be part of the latter. Ridley and K. Rool were classic requests, but were also part of Smash 4’s Elite Four which was also something else.

I also think classic requests should have consistent support. Krystal was big for Brawl but after her AT really fell off. Basically, if a request has stuck simce the Brawl days its a classic request in my book and out of those I don’t know how many are left.

MattX20

Smash Hero

It's okay man, we've been going through a lot, and it seems like this direct will either be the endgame or not.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman

It’s ok PapaGenos. I can see your trying to be as unbiased as possible and look at things from numerous different angles, which I can respect.

Obviously while we all want Geno here, I think most of us do have that doubt in us of him just coming back as a Costume, despite everything that may point in his favour. So you preparing for that possibility is fine.

If he’s not in, then at least your prepared. If he is in, then I can’t wait to see the reaction from not just you, but many other people here!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I would honestly be fine with more Marth clones because I enjoy playing as them that much.
They're just as dumb as "too big" and "too many anime or sword characters".
The thing is, others want variety. I don't think anyone else would be happy to have a roster flooded with clones of the same character, even if it was someone beloved like Banjo-Kazooie. Same goes for character designs. People want to see varied designs, not Technicolor Hair JRPG Protagonist in every other slot.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's okay man, we've been going through a lot, and it seems like this direct will either be the endgame or not.
Even if Geno is not revealed by then, I don’t think this will exactly be endgame here. We’ll still have around four chances left. I am not missing something, am I?

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Haha, Geno Alliance! I've posted it before but I do have this saved under one of my old deviantart accounts (the signature):

Sometimes it's hard to find old stuff from myself since I went under different screen names for a while before settling on my current one, but it's cool finding stuff like this on the WayBack Machine. I also remember signing a petition for Super Mario RPG to come back on the GBA sometime around 2004/2005.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

It's not disheartening to think that Geno might not make it, only disheartening that you feel you have to self censor and pay obeisance, lest the internet chew you up and spit you out. Such things have always had a "stated because I have to, not because I want to" feel when coming from you, but I'd never judge for wanting to keep these piranhas off your back, It's a cruel game we play. With any luck the end will be in sight, we'll get our blue boy and fan rules will be dead forever:4pacman:

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
In some positive note. Gamxplain Andre gave The Oragami King a positive review and it's well known how he hates Sticker Star...

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I get it man. Blink twice next video if you're hurting

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think there's still the possibilty of characters outside of the Fighter Pass happening before the pass ends, but I don't think that will happen tbh
I think this too, especially if my theory about more first party additions pans out. Yes, 5 more fighters for Season 2 are definitely locked because you could pre-pay for everything and you're paying for 6 packs. Like I keep pecking at, I'm wondering if there's a loophole of some kind like free DLC or ala carte stuff or something that's totally off the radar because something's ... weird and nobody can put their finger on it.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think this too, especially if my theory about more first party additions pans out. Yes, 5 more fighters for Season 2 are definitely locked because you could pre-pay for everything and you're paying for 6 packs. Like I keep pecking at, I'm wondering if there's a loophole of some kind like free DLC or ala carte stuff or something that's totally off the radar because something's ... weird and nobody can put their finger on it.
How sure are you that what Mii Costume Guy heard on Gooigi was about a Mii Costume? Of course, this is wishfuul thinking, but as a fan of Echo Fighters I wonder if these four WoL slots and amiibo shenanigans point to Echo Fighters specifically. Would certainly explain Mother of all series being part of the amiibo theory.

Last edited:

Cuzeba123

Smash Apprentice
How sure are you that what Mii Costume Guy heard on Gooigi was about a Mii Costume? Of course, this is wishfuul thinking, but as a fan of Echo Fighters I wonder if these four WoL slots and amiibo shenanigans point to Echo Fighters specifically. Would certainly explain Mother of all series being part of the amiibo theory.
And echo fighters are easyer to do, so it wouldn't delay the Fighter Pass

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

That's great to hear! I think he has a great shot for CP7 and I have so much faith that he will get included!

MattX20

Smash Hero
I just hope our wishes/prayers are finally answered for so long. I've been a Geno supporter since at least late 2007 and have wanted to see him in almost half my life now. Seeing Geno confirmed would be one of the best days of my life ever, and that's no exaggeration, especially with how the world is right now, a beam of light like that would make the worries of the world fade away, even if for a little while

TowelRoyale

Smash Rookie
Also, one update quick. The banner is probably a fake. I found someone else who saw the banner and they confirmed to me they found it on the @SuperMario35_JP account, which was created like an hour after the first one was found. So, the banner is probably false. Sorry to cause any confusion over that, I was just excited at the possibility of the rumours being true.

EDIT: The account came out as fake.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guys you won't believe who the next character is

My sources have spoken

Tommy Wiseau

with a Greg Sestero echo fighter

TX-55

Smash Journeyman

Sakurai also mentioned in a book he wrote himself, how "it's better to move on to the next project rather than continue releasing DLC for an already finished game".
This came out before Fighters Pass 1 ended, and everyone thought his words meant no Fighters Pass 2, and lo and behold, here we are waiting for DLC fighter #7.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Sakurai also mentioned in a book he wrote himself, how "it's better to move on to the next project rather than continue releasing DLC for an already finished game".
This came out before Fighters Pass 1 ended, and everyone thought his words meant no Fighters Pass 2, and lo and behold, here we are waiting for DLC fighter #7.
Anything could happen sure, but from what I understand it was around this time last year that vol. 2 began, if there are still no plans in place to do more dlc this late in as he stated in the column then it's not an unreasonable position to not expect any content after this pass.

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah, to your point, it wouldn't be the first time Sakurai ended up going back on his own words.

Sakurai: "Ridley doesn't really fit as a fighter. He's too big."
Also Sakurai: Makes Ridley a fighter.

Sakurai: "Brawl is my last Smash game."
Also Sakurai: Makes Sm4sh.....and then Smash Ultimate.....and then two years of DLC for Ultimate.

Then again, he also said that he'd keep working on Smash stuff as long as Nintendo asked (and paid) him to. There's really no telling what will happen from here.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai never mentioned it was the outright end of DLC when talking about Pass 1 either. He just said they were no plans. On the other hand, his full articles makes it clear it's the end of the DLC cycle entirely. And that he's doing 6 sets of DLC(only 5 left). He's not really vague about this either. So... as cool as bonus characters would be, I don't see any vagueness left to justify it. At least not with his current statements. It's not impossible to change, but we'd have to see it extremely soon, like the next announcement, for it to be logical in timing.

domriver

Smash Lord
Yeah, to your point, it wouldn't be the first time Sakurai ended up going back on his own words.

Sakurai: "Ridley doesn't really fit as a fighter. He's too big."
Also Sakurai: Makes Ridley a fighter.

Sakurai: "Brawl is my last Smash game."
Also Sakurai: Makes Sm4sh.....and then Smash Ultimate.....and then two years of DLC for Ultimate.

Then again, he also said that he'd keep working on Smash stuff as long as Nintendo asked (and paid) him to. There's really no telling what will happen from here.
Money talks! lol Plus i think Sakurai clearly enjoys Smash Bros. So its a pretty good deal to be honest. I won't be shock if Nintendo already mentioned to him regarding Smash after Ultimate.... jeje

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've entertained that idea a little, to be honest. The Luigi's Mansion 3 spirits are STILL missing 9 months later and it's gotten to the point of conspicuousness that either they're specifically holding them off for "someone" or they're waiting until the one year anniversary, which makes no sense to me. If we entertain the echo idea, just for the sake of fun, what if after all this time Waluigi ended up an echo/semi clone of someone but it's a Ganondorf/Captain Falcon situation? Can you ****in' imagine?

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I'm cool with no more characters, personally; It's already a whole lot, and I wasn't sure until when they'd keep making challenger packs, we already passed Smash 4's DLC time a while ago. Though I suppose only time will tell, judging from the columns, Sakurai's already more than ready to move on after FP2 wraps up. I guess the only way for that to change is if Nintendo stepped in to ask for more yet again.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I've entertained that idea a little, to be honest. The Luigi's Mansion 3 spirits are STILL missing 9 months later and it's gotten to the point of conspicuousness that either they're specifically holding them off for "someone" or they're waiting until the one year anniversary, which makes no sense to me. If we entertain the echo idea, just for the sake of fun, what if after all this time Waluigi ended up an echo/semi clone of someone but it's a Ganondorf/Captain Falcon situation? Can you ****in' imagine?
I don’t think Waluigi would be part of the Echo Pack but it would be interesting to think about, considering Waluigi’s eccentric nature.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
There's a difference between him generally saying "I don't like the idea of continuing to add to a finished game" and literally saying "There are 5 characters left, after that development is finished." Not to mention the fact that he said the same thing after the Second Pass was first announced, that the game would be finished after this. Seriously, it feels like people are refusing to accept what Sakurai is saying at face value and instead trying to act like he's pulling a fast one on us or not meaning what he says. The EXACT same thing happened in base-game when he said we weren't getting that many new characters because they put more effort into bringing everyone back instead. "OH, well, uh, it still totally makes sense they'd reveal 5 completely new characters in the last Smash Direct, it would only be 9 new characters compared to 4's 15 in the base game, that's still alot less!" And then no, turns out we only got 5 completely new characters in the base-game, and a semi-clone in Isabelle, plus the 5 echoes. How hard is it to just take Sakurai's word for it and stop getting hopes up for things that completely contradict what he's said about the topic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom