• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Don´t think we are ever gonna get a new installment to be perfectly frank. It will be Ultimate but ported over with new content from here on out. I can´t see any casual player (which is the largest player base) would just look at Smash 6 and say "Why would I buy this when I have Ultimate"?
So much this. I think ports of Ultimate with a new game worth of content is the best way to go. If they go the reboot route there is quite literally nowhere to go but down. That would be a massive mistake.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just saw this. Hopefully it comes to countries outside Japan.

It's amazing how such a little thing in the first Smash 4 trailer became so iconic over the years.

MattX20

Smash Hero

It's amazing how such a little thing in the first Smash 4 trailer became so iconic over the years.
I hope this goes full on mass retail and not just My Nintendo rewards

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
HOLD UP, let's take a step back here. What exactly is the deal with this Mario Event? Based on what people like Natedrake have said it was meant to be this presentation/possibly live event for the 35th anniversary, including game reveals, DLC, the Universal partnership, possibly talks about the movie, held sometime in April/May. But here's the thing, according the original Venturebeat article that all this Mario 35th stuff like the remakes was first rumored and picked up by basically every single gaming news outlet, this event was originally going to be held at E3.

"The core of the report is that Nintendo originally planned to focus on Mario’s 35th anniversary at E3 (the Electronic Entertainment Expo) in Los Angeles in June. But organizers canceled that event due to the spread of the coronavirus. Nintendo is going ahead with that promotion, and it will likely hold a Direct-style event to provide all of the details. That includes info on remasters, a Paper Mario game, the upcoming Mario film, and Universal Studios Super Nintendo World Theme Park."
https://venturebeat.com/2020/03/30/nintendo-is-making-3d-mario-remasters-for-his-35th-anniversary/
So, whatever was meant to be revealed at this Mario Event that we don't already know about right now was meant to be revealed AT E3, they only planned to do a Mario themed event after that got canned. Let's theorycraft a timeline.

• Original Plan : Spring Direct, revealing Paper Mario+Potentially the Mario Maker Update and announcing the 35th Anniversary, E3 reveals the remasters+3D World+Potentially other games+Non-Game stuff
  • Revision One : Splice Spring Direct into a mini and only reveal the bare minimum of what we are releasing this quarter, hold Mario Event in April/May instead and reveal what was meant to be at E3 along with Paper Mario/Mario Maker 2 update
  • Revision Two : Mini Direct still happens, but the Mario Event is cancelled, forced to shadowdrop both the MM2 update and Origami King, instead reveal Mario 35th plans at a later date (July 20th?)
Again, whatever was planned to be in the Mario Event was always meant to be revealed at E3, likely part of the conference itself, based on what we know it seems Mario's 35th was meant to be their big thing for E3 this year like how BOTW, Mario Odyssey, and Smash Ultimate were in the past. Here's what would have likely tied into that based on what's floating around.
  • 3D World Port
  • 3D Mario Remasters
  • Non-Game stuff like the themepark
  • Potentially MK9 based on what Verge has said?
  • Potential Spin-Offs? Still no idea what Camelot is doing at the moment.
Now obviously that does lead into the question, is it farfetched to suggest the idea that Nintendo would also tie in a Mario character being Smash DLC as well? I'd say it's plausible.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Dunno if anyone’s mentioned this so if they have then my bad but the “new” has gone on the smash page and usually it doesn’t go until a character is about to be shown off. Somethings definitely happen soon.

D

Deleted member

New on the Smash site gone hinting at a character and HotGirlVideos69 posting more about getting a Nintendo Direct awesome.

Hope we see soon.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039

That looks so cool! I hope this comes for the Nintendo Rewards program for the US.

:bowser:.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
One quick point regarding Waluigi and what could possibly be his Spirit Board; they could make his spirit board based on Mario Tennis Aces.

Now, onto the juicy rumblings of what seems to be an IMMINENT Nintendo Direct. I feel that the Direct announcement/stream window will start tomorrow up until the 20th. Sometime within that time window we could be getting news on when the Direct might go live (if all these rumors and roaring Midas River echoes end up being true).

Touching on something that was mentioned a few posts ago in regards to what could Square Enix possibly have as a key reason to allow Geno's inclusion in SSBU (i.e. a new game to promote); the inclusion of SMRPG on the SNES NSO Library not being it certainly does lead into the possibility of a SMRPG remake, or an actual sequel. Funny thing about the idea of a sequel is that the Geno doll could have a redesign which could serve as the render used for Smash (a redesign however that doesn't stray off too much from the original).

GolisoPower

Smash Master
While I was out on my walk, I had a thought: looking back at the numerous Daisy glitches, the discussions we had about double-reveals at E3 season, and the upcoming Direct, I think we might get another Hero-Banjo reveal.

Hear me out here: I'm in agreement with you all that Geno's gonna be in this pass. But to me, Geno feels more like a Banjo-type cap-off reveal. So based on all the glitches of Daisy that we have, I'm beginning to think we'll get Reimu from Touhou next instead of Geno, with her being the Hero reveal that starts the Direct off. All these glitches seem to line up with Reimu to me, but that's not to say we won't be getting Geno in Fighters Pass 2. Far from it. I just feel they won't start off their Direct with the big guns this time around. I might be wrong and it could be an inversion. But regardless, as a firm believer in glitches telling whispers of upcoming fighters, I think we'll have to wait longer for whenever Geno releases, just like how Banjo fans had to wait until after Hero to get to the character they've advocated.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
While I was out on my walk, I had a thought: looking back at the numerous Daisy glitches, the discussions we had about double-reveals at E3 season, and the upcoming Direct, I think we might get another Hero-Banjo reveal.

Hear me out here: I'm in agreement with you all that Geno's gonna be in this pass. But to me, Geno feels more like a Banjo-type cap-off reveal. So based on all the glitches of Daisy that we have, I'm beginning to think we'll get Reimu from Touhou next instead of Geno, with her being the Hero reveal that starts the Direct off. All these glitches seem to line up with Reimu to me, but that's not to say we won't be getting Geno in Fighters Pass 2. Far from it. I just feel they won't start off their Direct with the big guns this time around. I might be wrong and it could be an inversion. But regardless, as a firm believer in glitches telling whispers of upcoming fighters, I think we'll have to wait longer for whenever Geno releases, just like how Banjo fans had to wait until after Hero to get to the character they've advocated.
If that's the case bestguyever is gonna have a field day.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Is it bad that when I saw this I immediately thought "Is this a Loss joke?"

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yep the new tab is gone so and the byleth one was up till a few days away til min min on
And this user is double down on 14th

The intended double reveal is very soon

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I wanna say there was one time where the New tab disappeared months before the new fighter was revealed, but I can't remember when it was for the life of me. If that actually happened, it would've been during a drought, so maybe a while before Isabelle? Can anyone else remember that, or am I just crazy?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I definitely think a Direct is happening. You can hand wave away some things like if you don't think HotGirlVideos is credible, but a lot of insiders now who usually never comment on rumors... are commenting on the possibility of a Direct.

I mean, André Segers never comments on rumors. People think Jon Cartwright is credible, but André literally owns GameXplain and never talks about rumors unless they have some validity. He didn't even comment on the Grinch fiasco aside from shooting it down. Let alone hint at them being true. Add in the various smoke we've been seeing from credible gaming insiders, the Smash website updating, Nintendo having no 1st party games for this year after The Origami King... well, we all know what Mario and Luigi said...

"Where there's smoke..."
View attachment 278299
"They pinch back!"

To be honest, I feel this way about Geno and Waluigi potentially being revealed together. As popular as he is, Geno is certainly a bigger deal to hardcore fans than he is to more casual players, unlike Banjo who's more of a general crowdpleaser type character. So I kind of feel like they could reveal Geno first to please the more hardcore fans, then bring out Waluigi at the end to make everyone **** themselves as we all did when Banjo was revealed.

Yep the new tab is gone so and the byleth one was up till a few days away til min min on
And this user is double down on 14th

The intended double reveal is very soon
Hmm... now that I think about it, maybe they'll shadowdrop the next Direct/Mini tomorrow? I mean, it would be "very, very soon" after all...

I wanna say there was one time where the New tab disappeared months before the new fighter was revealed, but I can't remember when it was for the life of me. If that actually happened, it would've been during a drought, so maybe a while before Isabelle? Can anyone else remember that, or am I just crazy?
I believe it was Isabelle, though I'm also certain it's happened for other characters as well.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Is it bad that when I saw this I immediately thought "Is this a Loss joke?"
Almost, but not quite. It´d be hilarious. The meme lives on. So there´s definitely a direct comings. that´s nice. Isn´t the 15 the date when DKC comes to online.
It´s very weird that Nintendo has a bunch announcements before a direct, so something tells me that´s it´s gonna be a mini direct instead of a full blown one.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Almost, but not quite. It´d be hilarious. The meme lives on. So there´s definitely a direct comings. that´s nice. Isn´t the 15 the date when DKC comes to online.
It´s very weird that Nintendo has a bunch announcements before a direct, so something tells me that´s it´s gonna be a mini direct instead of a full blown one.
That makes me wonder, tho: how many announcements were there before the March Direct?

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
All I am hoping for at this point while we are waiting for the inevitable July Direct is for Shinobi to tell us if we are in for a smashing good time, just like what he did for the Ridley supporters and Banjo supporters.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Oh I missed some stuff while I was working today! It really seems like we are about to get something "soon". So a scenario I have seen once, but could be a possibility is: Geno gets announced for Fighter 7 and along with him is Waluigi. No, not fighter 8. I think we may see our first individual DLC fighter since P-Plant. And we may see it presented to us as a very cheeky nod to one of SMRPG's gimmicks....that's right....A FREEBIE.

Let me dream haha.

EDIT: Oh s*** How do you sell the pass if Min Min wasn't enough!? If you purchase the fighter's pass in "Insert amount of time" you will get Waluigi as a Free Fighter (Will be available for individual purchase at a later date) I am calling it right now! And if I am wrong....ehh.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
The stars are aligning one more time after 24 years. He is here, my friends.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Found more fanart for the lovely Geno thread

20200713_152521.jpg

(Have I ever said how much you all rock? ...Well... maybe not you, but everyone else rocks though! I hope a Direct comes soon to make you all happy! Even though I don't think Geno is guaranteed to be shown as the next fighter, his time is still approaching nonetheless.)

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
So if we get a reveal tomorrow that means we’ll have our direct on the Wednesday. I’m so excited

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Regardless of where people stand, I think we can all agree that a Smash reveal is coming soon and, unless you're borderline Amish like me, you'll want to make sure you have your recording equipment ready to go.

TTF

Smash Journeyman
I definitely think a Direct is happening. You can hand wave away some things like if you don't think HotGirlVideos is credible, but a lot of insiders now who usually never comment on rumors... are commenting on the possibility of a Direct.

I mean, André Segers never comments on rumors. People think Jon Cartwright is credible, but André literally owns GameXplain and never talks about rumors unless they have some validity. He didn't even comment on the Grinch fiasco aside from shooting it down. Let alone hint at them being true. Add in the various smoke we've been seeing from credible gaming insiders, the Smash website updating, Nintendo having no 1st party games for this year after The Origami King... well, we all know what Mario and Luigi said...

"Where there's smoke..."
View attachment 278299
"They pinch back."

Firox

Smash Master
So much this. I think ports of Ultimate with a new game worth of content is the best way to go. If they go the reboot route there is quite literally nowhere to go but down. That would be a massive mistake.
Honestly, I agree with you and Icewolf that porting is the best way to go for the exact reason you describe. There's no way they'd be able to replicate the amount of licensing magic they pulled off with this one and no amount of new gameplay modes would compensate for any dropped characters.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Regardless of where people stand, I think we can all agree that a Smash reveal is coming soon and, unless you're borderline Amish like me, you'll want to make sure you have your recording equipment ready to go.
To think the Direct would happen before the 20th...this is insane

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Honestly, I agree with you and Icewolf that porting is the best way to go for the exact reason you describe. There's no way they'd be able to replicate the amount of licensing magic they pulled off with this one and no amount of new gameplay modes would compensate for any dropped characters.
I can definitely tell you that Ridley, K Rool, Joker, and Banjo are huge selling points for me. I'm unlikely to buy another smash game if it doesn't have them. Imagine cutting half the roster and adding another 12 newcomers. There really isn't any set of a dozen or so characters they could add that would make up for the losses.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I get the feeling most of those 3rd parts would be dlc ala smash 4

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Oh, absolutely. If this is gonna be the true final Smash Bros game, then give this as many extra lives on future consoles as humanly possible. Rebooting the franchise is basically suicide for it tbh.

Dukefire

Smash Master
At this point, Smash Bros is too big and famous as the Hall of Fame to celebrate gaming as a whole.

Pretty much most of the fanbase if the next installment series should be a reboot.
Screenshot_20200704-203949_YouTube.jpg

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

But Banjo fans really didn't have to wait any longer than Hero fans, he was shown like 25 minutes later. I just don't understand the logic for this post since you called Banjo a cap-off reveal, but he didn't cap-off the pass. If you're referring to him capping off the E3 direct, then wouldn't Geno still be in the presentation at the end next week by your logic? It just seems like you're saying you think Geno will come later but none of the reasons why really make sense

GolisoPower

Smash Master
But Banjo fans really didn't have to wait any longer than Hero fans, he was shown like 25 minutes later. I just don't understand the logic for this post since you called Banjo a cap-off reveal, but he didn't cap-off the pass. If you're referring to him capping off the E3 direct, then wouldn't Geno still be in the presentation at the end next week by your logic? It just seems like you're saying you think Geno will come later but none of the reasons why really make sense
For the first part, I meant waiting until the Hero released last July. Banjo came out over a month later, so they had to wait that amount of time before they can finally play as the bear and bird.

As for the second part, yes, I was referring to ending the Direct with a Geno reveal.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I know; I was wondering whether or not the person who uploaded the video made the remix or if they took it from someone else without credit.
Oh, I did not read your post well. Looking at some of the videos, it seems that the guy who posted it made no remixes, meaning that it was most likely taken and uploaded without giving credit to the original.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJquhSWrYM
I found this while browsing for "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" remixes. I'm fairly certain this is a fan remix, but I can't tell whether this is the source for it or if it was taken from somewhere else.
This track has come up before and I recall one of the users who did an extensive search to figure out the origin of it. The results were inconclusive about the original source for this particular track. This was done quite some time ago and I don't recall all the details.

QQS

Smash Lord
I can’t believe that we are about to see #7 and probably #8 in a double reveal. For sure Geno is one of them. Also, I can’t believe that this torture and 2 decades of fan demand are coming to an end. Just imagine how we all would feel when Geno gets revealed and confirmed and see the trailer 800 time and time again, just to wait until the official download months later. Omg I hope that my heart can tolerate that CGI and not die in the moment :D

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So something I've wanted to take some time to talk about for awhile now and haven't really found a good time to since I beat the game about a month ago is the game this thread is actually supposed to be about, Super Mario RPG. I figured that since I'm kind of in a bit of a downer mood about the state of the Mario RPG's in general at the moment due to Origami King, and the fact that it really feels like we are in a "calm before the storm" kind of moment where it seems this drought of Nintendo news might finally be coming to end an in a week from now, and could very well bring Geno with it if the past year of speculation pays off.

I think it's a good idea to take a step back, bring in some positive energy, and talk about the entire reason all of us are even in this thread in the first place. I'm not entirely sure how to start this or structure it, maybe we could just talk about what we each specifically love about the game, maybe we could make it a thing where for the next 7 days we talk about a different aspect of the game each day? I'm just kind of spitballing here, what do you guys think?

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I feel like enough time without a brand new Smash game is gonna soften the blow of a FAR smaller roster substantially. Going a decade with no new smash game before a reboot would make any hostility almost vanish.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
So something I've wanted to take some time to talk about for awhile now and haven't really found a good time to since I beat the game about a month ago is the game this thread is actually supposed to be about, Super Mario RPG. I figured that since I'm kind of in a bit of a downer mood about the state of the Mario RPG's in general at the moment due to Origami King, and the fact that it really feels like we are in a "calm before the storm" kind of moment where it seems this drought of Nintendo news might finally be coming to end an in a week from now, and could very well bring Geno with it if the past year of speculation pays off.

I think it's a good idea to take a step back, bring in some positive energy, and talk about the entire reason all of us are even in this thread in the first place. I'm not entirely sure how to start this or structure it, maybe we could just talk about what we each specifically love about the game, maybe we could make it a thing where for the next 7 days we talk about a different aspect of the game each day? I'm just kind of spitballing here, what do you guys think?
That's an excellent idea! I'd propose how strange the world feels as a topic. The Mushroom Kingdom and beyond has never felt like it does in Mario RPG and that's a big reason why it keeps drawing me back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom