• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Shiek could be Ryu Hayabusa since they're both ninjas, though it all depends on what specifically is bugging out with her
The glitch has to do with the bomb. I think a move would act similarly, i.e. one of Hayabusa's many kinds of Ninpo such as the fire wheel.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
The glitch has to do with the bomb. I think a move would act similarly, i.e. one of Hayabusa's many kinds of Ninpo such as the fire wheel.
From what I understand of it, it's only an issue when you have specific Spirits equipped that, due to the update, explicitly negates it, whereas all of the other character bugs happen with the character as-is. If you ask me, this could very easily just be an oversight.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
From what I understand of it, it's only an issue when you have specific Spirits equipped that, due to the update, explicitly negates it, whereas all of the other character bugs happen with the character as-is. If you ask me, this could very easily just be an oversight.
Probably. I was just gonna make a follow-up post on my opinion with where Ryu Hayabusa stands. He's been in speculation for so long with nothing substantial happening that I'm seriously doubting if he'll show up.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Are the SMRPG renders just high-quality versions of the pose used in-game for when they're just standing? The poses all seem to fit that angle that they're seen at often, I think.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Ridley's Down B was actually changed this patch though, there's nothing really that weird about the glitch. Same thing with Sheik last patch, didn't they change her grenade? We can't just take every glitch that shows up and assume it has to do with a character.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Ridley's Down B was actually changed this patch though, there's nothing really that weird about the glitch. Same thing with Sheik last patch, didn't they change her grenade? We can't just take every glitch that shows up and assume it has to do with a character.
I was thinking the same thing (and thank you for mentioning that Ridley's Down B had modifications), Glitch Theory only makes sense if the patch that introduced a glitch didn't make balance changes to the character in question.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
The Ridley “glitch” isn’t even new it’s just easier to land now. And as for Sheik, @Serenade01 figured that out as a quirk of the skill tree in WoL. What we need to look for is graphical glitches like Ness’s eyes, that’s what has indicated a character being used as a “base” in the past.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Ridley (If you make Down Throw + Down B the animation would be weird) what character you think may be for Ridley?

As for Ridley... given it has to do with his Down Special, it's possible it could be either a character who uses Ridley's general frame, which I feel is rather unlikely, or a character who has a slow, stabbing attack.

Just for the sake of discussion, there is this Pokemon called Inteleon. He's a British secret agent who, much like our boy Geno, has working finger guns and a whole lotta hidden weapons and what's THIS? A KNIFE IN HIS TAIL (according to the Pokemon website anyhow, not actually seen in-game).

Well now THIS could (potentially) be interesting. Tall, lanky character with needly limbs and a stabby tail?

Never say never

Ridley Knife.png

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, the glitches so far that related to character bases were usually graphical in nature and the Ridley one doesn't appear to fall into this

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There was nothing forcing Sakurai to add in Cloud and Hero before Geno. In fact, it's more likely that Sakurai just cares about representing those franchises more than putting Geno in Smash. I don't think he went in with the mindset that "I'm going to put in Cloud and Hero into Smash, just so that I can put in Geno into Smash". I mean Sakurai clearly cared a ton about Hero making it in, just judging by his own tweet during his reveal. Not to mention that ultimately it is Nintendo making the picks now, so Sakurai can't really pull the strings on any character getting in.

That's not to say that Geno's path isn't "clearer" with two of Square's megaton franchises out of the way, but at the same time that doesn't only benefit Geno but also other Square characters as well.
Do you know for sure? No you don't. It's very likely Square-Enix demanded for their mascots to be in Smash before Geno. It wouldn't surprise me as they're greedy and there was a rumor going on during release that Cloud was the last veteran to make it into the game and Square-Enix wanted him to be DLC a 2nd time and Sakurai somehow convince them to put him in base game instead for "Everyone Is Here!"

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Right now, Square is 0 for 2 in terms of content amount, so people thinking they are stingy or that a 3rd character will also have low amount of content isn't illogical.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Right now, Square is 0 for 2 in terms of content amount, so people thinking they are stingy or that a 3rd character will also have low amount of content isn't illogical.
In Geno's defense, they could just fill the rest of his soundtrack pack with other RPG Mario songs. It helps that a large majority of Mario RPGs are composed by Yoko Shimomura already, so it wouldn't feel out of place.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Do you know for sure? No you don't. It's very likely Square-Enix demanded for their mascots to be in Smash before Geno. It wouldn't surprise me as they're greedy and there was a rumor going on during release that Cloud was the last veteran to make it into the game and Square-Enix wanted him to be DLC a 2nd time and Sakurai somehow convince them to put him in base game instead for "Everyone Is Here!"
It doesn't exactly seem likely that Square-Enix specifically demanded that Cloud and Hero got in before Geno - Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are the two flagship franchises of that company, and two of the biggest and most influential RPGs in general. It makes sense that they'd get in before any other Square-Enix character. Putting someone else in beforehand would be like putting another Sega character before Sonic, or another Namco-Bandai character before Pac-Man.

Mind you, Square-Enix doesn't seem to have any obvious front-runners at the moment, so Geno seems more likely than he was before, but I doubt that Square-Enix forced Sakurai to do anything. (at least in regards to character selection)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It doesn't exactly seem likely that Square-Enix specifically demanded that Cloud and Hero got in before Geno - Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are the two flagship franchises of that company, and two of the biggest and most influential RPGs in general. It makes sense that they'd get in before any other Square-Enix character. Putting someone else in beforehand would be like putting another Sega character before Sonic, or another Namco-Bandai character before Pac-Man.

Mind you, Square-Enix doesn't seem to have any obvious front-runners at the moment, so Geno seems more likely than he was before, but I doubt that Square-Enix forced Sakurai to do anything. (at least in regards to character selection)
Well, not to specifically said they demanded Cloud and Hero, but basically like: "Okay Sakurai, we will give you Geno but first you have to put Cloud and the Dragon Quest protagonists in Smash. Is that alright with you? If not, we have no deal."

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
So after a couple of hours of gameplay, here is my early breakdown on Min Min:

-Two-armed mechanic is very interesting and has a ton of potential, though I do think it is pretty unweildy at first. If you tap A or B too quickly, you'll do the jab kick. If you're not careful with your stick work, you'll do smash attacks which are hella slow and won't let you move. Overall, her reach is god-like but I'm beginning to understand that her gameplay is all about judging your commitments. Most the time, you want to stick with "tilt" arm jabs because they're fast and allow you to still move and jump, making you harder to hit. Only commit to smashes if you have a solid opening. The megawatt glove is an excellent finisher. (Note: the dragon beam is sexy as hell) I predict that much of her meta will involve mastering mid-air punches to snipe opponents before they can invade your airspace. That said, mapping a shoulder button to jump is going to be a necessity for her because otherwise, you can't initiate a jump mid-punch.

-Nair is pretty awesome but has a slightly smaller hitbox than I imagined. A good "get off me" aerial.

-Up smash is a pretty awesome reflector but it seems a little tricky for faster projectiles and I'm not sure the risk is worth the reward against some of the scarier projectiles out there. I mean, would you really want to roll the dice trying to perfectly time a Kaboom reflect? Makes me wish that up tilt could reflect too.

-All of her kick moves are really fast and satisfying to land. I have to keep reminding myself that she's got a lot more than just the stretchy punches.

Overall, I like her. I really like her. I think she's got some great potential and I'm yet again amazed at how much fidelity she has to her source material. I'm just not looking forward to how much practice it will take to be fluid with her. She's pretty clunky in untrained hands.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord

I kinda see what your getting at with this. However, i think its within reasonable suspicion that Square not necessarily demanded Nintendo/Sakurai but more like if you want "C" please do "A" and "B" and we will keep our end of the bargain. something to that extent.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
IT IS TIME TO COMMIT SACRILEGE OF THE HIGHEST ORDER, DESTROY THE FABRIC OF TIME AND SPACE ITSELF.

View attachment 276716AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
YOU CAN'T JUST HAVE A SPIRIT AS A FIGHTER NOOOOOOOO WHAT ABOUT THE SPIRIT LORE, WHAT ABOUT WHAT SAKURAI SAID NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE UNIVERSE CAN'T HANDLE IT, YOU'VE MESSED WITH THE NATURAL ORDER!
Sakurai: ♪♪How about I do it... anyway!♪♪

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
IT IS TIME TO COMMIT SACRILEGE OF THE HIGHEST ORDER, DESTROY THE FABRIC OF TIME AND SPACE ITSELF.

View attachment 276716AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
YOU CAN'T JUST HAVE A SPIRIT AS A FIGHTER NOOOOOOOO WHAT ABOUT THE SPIRIT LORE, WHAT ABOUT WHAT SAKURAI SAID NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE UNIVERSE CAN'T HANDLE IT, YOU'VE MESSED WITH THE NATURAL ORDER!
That picture is missing this

https://www.pinterest.es/pin/425801339742180630/

And as for the alternative of geno spirit

This is simple his snes pixel art after a battle is finished

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace

Yeah I completely agree Megadoomer. This is basically what I was saying the other day. I'm pretty sure Sakurai approached Square about both Cloud and Hero in Smash, so it isn't like Square forced them to do anything. Heck, Sakurai got "super-stingy" Square to change their strict rule to not have Dragon Quest heroes fight. I don't think Sqaure is going to say no if Sakurai requests Geno, they don't have much to gain from it aside from lost money. I doubt Square would ask for another fighter in place of Geno and be successful. Because if they did, then Sakurai would just include that requested fighter and Geno. Why? Because if Sakurai wants Geno, he'll get Geno.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yesterday was an amazing day for a lot of reasons. I want to do an analysis post on why it was a massive turning point for not only Geno but a certain other character but it's going to have to wait... Came into work and several buildings on campus had flooded during the heavy rain last night so I've been doing flood clean up all morning. Currently taking a short break from trying to save the Historical Preservation room that has artifacts going back to the 1700s so if I don't flat out pass out after work, I'll write it up then.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yesterday was an amazing day for a lot of reasons. I want to do an analysis post on why it was a massive turning point for not only Geno but a certain other character but it's going to have to wait... Came into work and several buildings on campus had flooded during the heavy rain last night so I've been doing flood clean up all morning. Currently taking a short break from trying to save the Historical Preservation room that has artifacts going back to the 1700s so if I don't flat out pass out after work, I'll write it up then.
Okay dude, take the time you need

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I just played through Min Min's Spirit Board and I must say, that was probably the easiest DLC Spirit Board yet imo. Even Max Brass, the Legend Spirit, only took me two tries to beat.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well, not to specifically said they demanded Cloud and Hero, but basically like: "Okay Sakurai, we will give you Geno but first you have to put Cloud and the Dragon Quest protagonists in Smash. Is that alright with you? If not, we have no deal."
I kinda see what your getting at with this. However, i think its within reasonable suspicion that Square not necessarily demanded Nintendo/Sakurai but more like if you want "C" please do "A" and "B" and we will keep our end of the bargain. something to that extent.
I'll try to put this into perspective with a rhetorical question. Let's pretend for a moment that there are no Capcom characters in Smash, and you had to choose the first one. Would it make more sense to go with Mega Man, Ryu, or Amaterasu? (Amaterasu could be replaced with another Capcom character from a series that you're more familiar with)

Okami is an extremely good game with a passionate fanbase, but you can't deny that if a Capcom character's going to be added, Mega Man and Ryu (in either order) would make the most sense given how huge and influential Mega Man and Street Fighter are as series. Same thing goes for Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Dante, or whoever else you might be familiar with - it's going to be extremely difficult to justify putting them in before Mega Man and/or Ryu.

Now that Mega Man and Ryu are in Smash, the third Capcom character that you chose has a much better chance of making it in - there doesn't seem to be a clear front-runner among that group. Same thing goes for Geno - he's got an extremely passionate and dedicated fanbase, which seems to give him the edge over other Square-Enix characters (Sora's owned by Disney, so I'm not sure if he counts as a Square-Enix character), but it wouldn't make much sense to include him over two of the biggest and most influential RPG series out there.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wonder who this other character is. Perhaps Waluigi?

I'll try to put this into perspective with a rhetorical question. Let's pretend for a moment that there are no Capcom characters in Smash, and you had to choose the first one. Would it make more sense to go with Mega Man, Ryu, or Amaterasu? (Amaterasu could be replaced with another Capcom character from a series that you're more familiar with)

Okami is an extremely good game with a passionate fanbase, but you can't deny that if a Capcom character's going to be added, Mega Man and Ryu (in either order) would make the most sense given how huge and influential Mega Man and Street Fighter are as series. Same thing goes for Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Dante, or whoever else you might be familiar with - it's going to be extremely difficult to justify putting them in before Mega Man and/or Ryu.

Now that Mega Man and Ryu are in Smash, the third Capcom character that you chose has a much better chance of making it in - there doesn't seem to be a clear front-runner among that group. Same thing goes for Geno - he's got an extremely passionate and dedicated fanbase, which seems to give him the edge over other Square-Enix characters (Sora's owned by Disney, so I'm not sure if he counts as a Square-Enix character), but it wouldn't make much sense to include him over two of the biggest and most influential RPG series out there.
That what I was saying. Geno wasn't going to get in before Cloud and the Dragon Quest protagonists because they're Square-Enix's mascots.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I give people thanks to pointing this out I forGot

1593532219201.jpeg

This is probably the wayw they ill do genos spirit the same pose as the smash ultimate pose

Same thing was done with Robin and Pokemon trainer

Just do the same thing with geno his own fighter render in smash ultimate

Or B his sprite from the game like they did with ness and Lucas.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I give people thanks to pointing this out I forGot

View attachment 276788
This is probably the wayw they ill do genos spirit the same pose as the smash ultimate pose

Same thing was done with Robin and Pokemon trainer

Just do the same thing with geno his own fighter render in smash ultimate

Or B his sprite from the game like they did with ness and Lucas.
See I thought the same thing at first because Geno only has that one official render that's already in Ultimate, but I forgot that they could just use his in-game sprite like Lucas has (and the other Mother 3 cast). I was unsure if Sakurai would actually put in an in-game sprite, but I completely forgot about the Lucas Spirit (the thread reminded me).

I am unsure as to why Cloud doesn't have his official art, but if I had to guess it would probably be because of licensing. It doesn't have to do with Square Enix being stingy since the Dragon Quest Spirits all had their original artwork.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The Twitter user @ElizaArtz made a Spirit board for Geno, Sora, Rayman, Dante and Crash (It looks perfect)
View attachment 276787
While I have some issues with the order (saving Geno for second-to-last seems like it would be unnecessarily stressful, at least for me, and after the backlash against Bayonetta in Smash 4, I'm not sure if I'd want Dante to be the final reveal - maybe somewhere towards the middle so they have more time to adjust him if necessary), those are relatively minor - this line-up would be amazing!

Last edited:

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Min Min is hands down amazing to play.

SO looking forward to the next Character Packs, Sakurai is going to deliver some amazing stuff, I'm sure

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Am I annoying to same of you guys? I know post on this thread too much like posting every 2 to 3 posts after me in the page when I'm here.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Am I annoying to same of you guys? I know post on this thread too much like posting every 2 to 3 posts after me in the page when I'm here.
I don't think so. You're active in the discussion, which seems like a good thing, and your posts have been on-topic. Plus, most people should still be under quarantine (whether they actually are is a different story), so that means a lot of time for social media and whatnot.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't think so. You're active in the discussion, which seems like a good thing, and your posts have been on-topic. Plus, most people should still be under quarantine (whether they actually are is a different story), so that means a lot of time for social media and whatnot.
I still work. I work the night shift.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
They can still do presentations/reveals for FP7 and beyond even without directs. I have a hard time believing Min Min is going to be our only reveal prior to September
Who says it has to be specifically September? For what we know, July could be a month that they are silent(concidering the new Paper Mario), to then give us some news in August.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I doubt it. Overall Nintendo always has the power to refuse, its not like Square can force them to put any one character in Smash.

I believe a more reasonable explanation is that Sakurai had originally wanted Geno, Square mentions cloud, and therefore got shafted. Same with Hero.
It makes more sense that other characters just always took priority simply because they indirectly bring in more revenue.
Im pretty sure Nintendo still gets a cut of every unit square pushes on their platform so they benefit indirectly for serires/ips that still have current support, plus both hero and cloud would still potentially sell more than geno would as dlc since they are more easily recognized with this generation.

MattX20

Smash Hero
We could always get a Byleth-style "Mr. Sakurai Presents ???" presentation, no need for a full-on Direct. And likely they have the next character's presentation recorded. Remember that Banjo's presentation was recorded right after Hero's.
Exactly. Plus, Nintendo at the recent shareholders meeting made it clear their holiday/end of the year lineup is still on schedule, meaning the end of summer/fall stuff is more or less ready to present and that includes FP7.

D

Deleted member

I feel that even though Sakurai is aware of the high demand for Geno, it could easily be the possibility that Sakurai wanted to prioritize both FF and DQ first since they are both highly influential JRPG franchises especially DQ. It’s no surprise that Japan made a huge push for a DQ rep for a long time especially how huge it is over there. Since DQ and FF are out of the way, that’s less competition for Geno and the costume is mysteriously missing in the first Fighters Pass. Best case scenario that Geno was initially planned to be an extra fighter since Sakurai mentioned he was going to do 1 or 2 more fighters and then there’s Vol. 2. Worst case scenario that Geno’s costume is withheld to a Square character like Lara Croft who is a gaming icon herself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom