• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
IT IS TIME TO COMMIT SACRILEGE OF THE HIGHEST ORDER, DESTROY THE FABRIC OF TIME AND SPACE ITSELF.

View attachment 276716AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
YOU CAN'T JUST HAVE A SPIRIT AS A FIGHTER NOOOOOOOO WHAT ABOUT THE SPIRIT LORE, WHAT ABOUT WHAT SAKURAI SAID NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE UNIVERSE CAN'T HANDLE IT, YOU'VE MESSED WITH THE NATURAL ORDER!
OH NONONONONOOOOOOO WE GOT TOO COCKY RULEBROS!!

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
After an hour or so of playing with Min Min, I'm here to finally give my thoughts on her.

She's pretty interesting as a character. The fact that Sakurai managed to make a character that really only users her arms to punch an interesting character is mind-blowing to me. Even though I suck with her, I still think she is pretty neat and I can't help but spam that side B. Its just such a great move and covers a ton of distance, as well as her forward smash. Am I gonna main her? No, but I'm pretty fond of her and I am glad to welcome her to the Smash roster, especially since she killed the Spirit rule.

Unfortunately, I'm not getting the Mii Outfits until tomorrow but I can't wait to get the Vault Boy outfit especially! [Also, I'm glad Banjo got a buff].

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, you can literally equip Min-Min on Min-Min, she got a new fighter spirit, and her spirit battle doesn't change. Wow, it's as if a year and a half of intense gate keeping and harassing fanbases of spirited characters was totally pointless in the end! Whodathunkit?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Also, you can literally equip Min-Min on Min-Min, she got a new fighter spirit, and her spirit battle doesn't change. Wow, it's as if a year and a half of intense gate keeping and harassing fanbases of spirited characters was totally pointless in the end! Whodathunkit?
Yet a new tale is getting assumed! Because Min Mins didn't change, it is safe to say any new Mii Costumes will be edited into spirit battles. And everyone's go to? Geno...because he already has a costume made up they could use...Did someone say Goalpost!?

Droodle

Smash Lord
What does Geno even have going against him at this point? Besides a general 'Sakurai/Nintendo/Square might just decide not to use him', which can apply to any character.
Quite literally nothing at this point, much like any character. Aside from non-videogame character or "not for good boys and girls" there is nothing stopping them from adding anyone. Fan-rules are a mistake.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Apparently, the art for "Min Min (Fighter)" is from a piece of ARMS promotional artwork.

Aside from the art used in the Geno spirit, does he have any other official artwork, or do you think they'd take the Cloud/Wii Fit/Pokemon Trainer approach of exclusively using the Smash render?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
And thus the time has come. With Min Min's release, and players now seeing that she has a separate fighter spirit (despite already having a spirit in base game), this should be a reminder to the nature of toys. By the nature of toys I mean that for various brands and franchises, countless of toy iterations are created (i.e. collectible figurines, plushies, LEGOs, and even video games). One can even see different styles of one same branded toy (a taller action figure, and its miniature replica). To top it off, something that collecting spirits time and time again demonstrate, an 'x' number of copies of said toys are produced.

Min Min has come and dashed the spirit fan rule yet, it would seem that it never existed to begin with. Note that in the base game, upon completing the World of Light campaign, the spirits are 'freed', which could be interpreted as characters no longer being bound to being mere spirits.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Apparently, the art for "Min Min (Fighter)" is from a piece of ARMS promotional artwork.

Aside from the art used in the Geno spirit, does he have any other official artwork, or do you think they'd take the Cloud/Wii Fit/Pokemon Trainer approach of exclusively using the Smash render?
Most likely, his Ultimate render will be used for the fighter spirit

Atmoz

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5145-1574-6323

I think the most likely route for a Geno fighter spirit would either be pulling a Cloud and using the Smash render, OR pull a Lucas and have his fighter spirit use a sprite from SMRPG. I'm leaning a tiny bit on having a sprite from SMRPG be his fighter spirit, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went the Cloud route.

Bob-Omber

Smash Cadet
In the corner drinking a frosty with a straw

There's art of Gaz holding the Geno doll without the spirit inside. This might not really work because it's not really Geno though.
200px-Gaz_SMRPG.png

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I haven't played Min Min's Classic Mode yet but from what I have heard from you guys, apparently Min Min's Fighter Spirit comes from promotional material of ARMS. That's pretty cool.

As unlikely as this sounds, I would love if Sakurai used never before seen promotional artwork for Geno's Fighter Spirit besides his usual render. Its unfortunate that Geno's Fighter Spirit will most likely be his Ultimate render, but this would be amazing imo

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
They could also just make new Artwork up. I mean, have you ever seen this artwork from Castlevania's Frankenstein's Monster (A.K.A Creature) before?

The answer is no. This was done SPECIFICALLY for the Creature's Spirit for Smash. Same goes for the other Castlevania Monsters like the Werewolf and the Mummy.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Quick question. Has anyone gotten Ninjara's Mii Costume yet? I am curious to know if his battle changes in any way or does it stay the same.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
They could also just make new Artwork up. I mean, have you ever seen this artwork from Castlevania's Frankenstein's Monster (A.K.A Creature) before?

The answer is no. This was done SPECIFICALLY for the Creature's Spirit for Smash. Same goes for the other Castlevania Monsters like the Werewolf and the Mummy.
Oh really, this is completely unique art? I never knew that.

D

Deleted member

Quick question. Has anyone gotten Ninjara's Mii Costume yet? I am curious to know if his battle changes in any way or does it stay the same.
It gets changed to his Mii costume. Ribbon Girl's spirit stage was changed to Spring Stadium, and the other ARMS spirits had their music changed to their respective stages.

Edit - ignore the second bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paraster

Smash Lord
It gets changed to his Mii costume. Ribbon Girl's spirit stage was changed to Spring Stadium, and the other ARMS spirits had their music changed to their respective stages.
I will say that the Spring Man spirit battle, at least for me, did not change to using Spring Stadium for the music (and the wiki doesn't indicate any other music changes).

Also, Ribbon Girl didn't have a spirit battle in the base release, so her stage wasn't technically "changed."

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Interesting. That could actually be ammo for those who could see Geno's Mii Costume for returning. But it could work as well for a hypothetical Mallow costume...I am conflicted lol. Guess we have to keep this in mind for the days to come.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I haven't played Min Min's Classic Mode yet but from what I have heard from you guys, apparently Min Min's Fighter Spirit comes from promotional material of ARMS. That's pretty cool.

As unlikely as this sounds, I would love if Sakurai used never before seen promotional artwork for Geno's Fighter Spirit besides his usual render. Its unfortunate that Geno's Fighter Spirit will most likely be his Ultimate render, but this would be amazing imo
Yeah, I'm wondering this. Geno thread, you guys know much more about Super Mario RPG content than I do, but is there another official render of Geno that exists? Because I only ever see that one render that's already in Ultimate. Min Min's new fighter Spirit is of official ARMS art, so I'm wondering what will happen with Geno.

(Though maybe Geno will just be a Cloud situation and just use his Smash render.)

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Okay, two things:
-We know that the Glitch Theory is right, plant glichted and we joker with exact same side b, duck hunt and mii swordfighter are obviously hero and banjo, simon was byleth and Bayo was min min we have now 3 glitched characters: Ness, Sheik and Ridley (If you make Down Throw + Down B the animation would be weird) what character you think may be for Ridley?
-Now with min min spirit being her artwork (Btw: i her that idea like a week before min min's reveal) we know sakurai don't care about the spirit rule so we can get shantae with her seven sirens design, rayman with a render of his leaked game and Geno with either his sprite/victory pose or with his smash render like Cloud

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Just crop Geno out from this Transformers comic page and use that as his Spirit.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Okay, two things:
-We know that the Glitch Theory is right, plant glichted and we joker with exact same side b, duck hunt and mii swordfighter are obviously hero and banjo, simon was byleth and Bayo was min min we have now 3 glitched characters: Ness, Sheik and Ridley (If you make Down Throw + Down B the animation would be weird) what character you think may be for Ridley?
-Now with min min spirit being her artwork (Btw: i her that idea like a week before min min's reveal) we know sakurai don't care about the spirit rule so we can get shantae with her seven sirens design, rayman with a render of his leaked game and Geno with either his sprite/victory pose or with his smash render like Cloud
What is the Ridley glitch? This is the first I am hearing about this.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Yeah, I'm wondering this. Geno thread, you guys know much more about Super Mario RPG content than I do, but is there another official render of Geno that exists? Because I only ever see that one render that's already in Ultimate. Min Min's new fighter Spirit is of official ARMS art, so I'm wondering what will happen with Geno.

(Though maybe Geno will just be a Cloud situation and just use his Smash render.)
I have a few ideas. One idea of mine is ripping the artwork from this jigsaw puzzle:

EDi4eGsXYAAVA_g.jpg

Another idea I have is ripping artwork from this promotional artwork:

mario-rpg-feat.jpg

And my last idea is them simply having Geno's sprite be his Fighter Spirit, which honestly seems most likely imo:

Geno (1).png

Either way, any of these would be better then simply having his Ultimate render be his Fighter Spirit.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I have a few ideas. One idea of mine is ripping the artwork from this jigsaw puzzle:

View attachment 276745

Another idea I have is ripping artwork from this promotional artwork:

View attachment 276746

And my last idea is them simply having Geno's sprite be his Fighter Spirit, which honestly seems most likely imo:

View attachment 276747

Either way, any of these would be better then simply having his Ultimate render be his Fighter Spirit.
I could see his sprite being the image they go with. I don't see them taking a render from the puzzle or magazines. Is there really only that 1 singular render for Geno for Super Mario RPG specifically?

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I could see his sprite being the image they go with. I don't see them taking a render from the puzzle or magazines. Is there really only that 1 singular render for Geno for Super Mario RPG specifically?
Yeah unfortunately. Every other render on the internet is fan-made. That is another huge reason why I would be so happy to see Geno included, is to finally get another official render of him.

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
With Min Min and 8.0 released, it's starting to dawn on me that the next Smash news we hear might actually be about Geno. With all the evidence piling up, Geno's chances of getting into Smash are higher than ever, and #2 of FP2 is the most likely time he'd be added. I'm not getting myself too excited, but I'm eagerly awaiting the next few months.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Yeah unfortunately. Every other render on the internet is fan-made. That is another huge reason why I would be so happy to see Geno included, is to finally get another official render of him.
That's really odd to me. So I'm guessing Mallow is in the same boat as well? Now that I think, I believe that all all original characters from Super Mario RPG only have 1 render from what I've seen.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
That's really odd to me. So I'm guessing Mallow is in the same boat as well? Now that I think, I believe that all all original characters from Super Mario RPG only have 1 render from what I've seen.
Yeah, and on top of that, all of the characters have the same pose as well, which is kinda boring to me and doesn't represent any of the characters well.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Yeah, and on top of that, all of the characters have the same pose as well, which is kinda boring to me and doesn't represent any of the characters well.
Yeah, I didn't know if that was a hot take, but I have honestly thought that about the renders as well. They all look sort of lifeless in a way. Mallow's kinda works because he's this short and stubby little dude, but for a cool character like Geno, I feel like his official art does him a disservice (he looks like he is a step away from t-posing). I realize I'm no authority on Super Mario RPG though. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dunking on the game's art. From what I've seen, the game looks good! However, the character renders aren't my favorite since they don't really represent the game's wackier and energetic nature (from what I've seen at least). They're not awful or anything, but I do think Geno should have a more interesting render that's more befitting of his character.

(Please don't kill me Geno thread.)

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Yo guys, I was thinking about this the other day and imagine that on Geno's Challenger Pack reveal, Sakurai surprises us all as he reveals himself to be the most intense Geno fan on EARTH.
  • Geno hat - check
  • Geno cape - check
  • seven different colored star figurines - check
  • official Nintendo branded Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars player's guide book - check
  • original SNES SMRPG cartridge and box (mint condition)
  • Geno figurine - check
  • big poster of the SMRPG world map - check
As the presentation goes on, we see a badass CG character reveal trailer, but when Sakurai goes into depth explaining the character, he goes DEEP lore. The presentation is around 1 hour long. :2gud:

That'd be so sick. One can dream. *prays to the star road*

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman

I always thought he'd be like Lucas where it's just his in-game sprite

MisterMike

Smash Champion

There's still his in-game sprite or, if they're feeling coy, the sprite for his star form.

Okay, two things:
Ness could be Geno, as we've discussed. Shiek could be Ryu Hayabusa since they're both ninjas, though it all depends on what specifically is bugging out with her. As for Ridley... given it has to do with his Down Special, it's possible it could be either a character who uses Ridley's general frame, which I feel is rather unlikely, or a character who has a slow, stabbing attack.

So with that in mind... maybe a Monster Hunter character? That game is focused on slow, methodical gameplay that's all about reading your opponent and picking your moment. Or perhaps it's the Chosen Undead from Dark Souls? Same kind of sluggish combat style, they'd double up as a Namco character, and it'd fit with the two remaining costumes since they're both sword fighters.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
So with that in mind... maybe a Monster Hunter character? That game is focused on slow, methodical gameplay that's all about reading your opponent and picking your moment. Or perhaps it's the Chosen Undead from Dark Souls? Same kind of sluggish combat style, they'd double up as a Namco character, and it'd fit with the two remaining costumes since they're both sword fighters.
Probably some kind of heavy swordsman, so Monster Hunter or Chosen Undead like you mentioned, or maybe Dragonborn or Nightmare (the former fitting due to his connection to dragons and Ridley's Draconic appearence; the latter also being a swordfighter fitting with the Namco costumes).

Also does Shiek really fit the theory? Wasn't the bug she was causing (something to do with her exploding projectile not going off in World of Light) due to it being part of a balance change? (Her exploding projectile was changed from an actual explosion to a negative heal box to prevent it from being cancelled out).

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
As Someone that believes the Glitch Theory, I don't think Ridley's Glitch is for another character, considering the Skewer did actually get move changes. might just be unintended change with damage

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Probably some kind of heavy swordsman, so Monster Hunter or Chosen Undead like you mentioned, or maybe Dragonborn or Nightmare (the former fitting due to his connection to dragons and Ridley's Draconic appearence; the latter also being a swordfighter fitting with the Namco costumes).
It's possible, but I don't really think it has much to do with Ridley's physiology as it does the function of his Down Special; an attack with lots of build-up that deals tons of damage if it hits just right. Not too familiar with Monster Hunter but I know it's combat is slow and methodical. As for Dark Souls the Backstab fits very closely to this description, being that you can deal massive damage to an enemy if you're positioned correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom