• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

QQS

Smash Lord
Well, is finally here.
Due to the pandemic in Chile (if you know, the situation in my country has been else some difficult)
But the store in Chile where im got this plush have send today our boy to make company with Mario and Luigi :)
Saludos a todos ♡♪!?

amazing bro, mine (from the same store) is on the way! Will post it when I have him in mid July :)

Geno joins my room!

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman

So uh, do we take this statement as legit and as a good omen for July? Learned of this on RGT 85's latest video.
Looks like another shadowdrop trailer for a new game could be happening. Maybe it’s finally Metroid 5 since Vergeben said the announcement was “soon”?
Or like other people are saying maybe it’s the Mario remaster collection, which would make sense too since Paper Mario’s release date is close.

TTF

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I’ve been off for awhile, personal stuff has come up.
What have I missed in the world of Geno/Smash discussions, leaks, rumors, etc.?

Firox

Smash Master
Okay, serious question, and this doesn't have anything to do with Geno specifically: why is it that when people try and come up with a list of newcomers that are "realistic", they always go for the most boring or predictable choices imaginable?
I know, right? My hot take? One of three things:

A) People in general have no imagination. This is fact, hence why true artists exist as a rarity. To be fair, thinking outside the box is pretty hard in most instances.

B) People are downright terrified at the prospect of being the solo voice or the odd one out. They think that going with the flow gives you more credibility. The boring picks are usually regarded as the "safe picks" because we hear them relatively often.

C) Character exposure. Let's face it, the characters we want the most are the ones we've actually PLAYED. It's no coincidence that pretty much everyone in this thread has played SMRPG at some point in their lives. Hence, we want Geno. I've played and enjoyed Halo games, hence I'd love to see Master Chief. I've played and enjoyed the Golden Sun games, hence I'd love to see Isaac. I'll admit I have very little exposure with the likes of Shantae or Sol Badguy, hence I'm fairly indifferent towards them. My point is, we keep seeing the same predictions for FP#2 because many of those picks are characters that most of us have a mutual exposure to. Plus speculation in general is self perpetuating. Since we've talked about Crash before, people talk about Crash. If one of our past leakers had mumbled something about Sol Badguy instead, I'm sure everyone would have him on the "probable" list just as easily.

That said, I had a thought the other day that is the only thing that concerns me about Geno.....our confidence. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE how probable he seems now. The pieces are falling into place so perfectly....but is it TOO perfectly? Think about it. When was the last time we ever knew FOR SURE who was going to get in without a leaker spelling it out for us? We have the benefit of actual, OFFICIAL evidence in Geno's favor with Spirits no longer deconfirming, the costume missing, etc., but when has Sakurai ever been that predicable? He almost strikes me as the kind of guy to go out of his way just to shake us off his trail. The fact that things look so good is precisely why I'm worried he'll just shake us like he's always done. Then again, it could just be my Smash Speculation PTSD (SSPTSD™)

Last edited:

Monokarhu

Smash Cadet
but when has Sakurai ever been that predicable?
When he added in Yet Another Fire Emblem Character™ last time (and I don't just mean the predictability of an FE character, I'm also talking about how there wasn't a Spirit event for FE:3H even though almost every other big Nintendo release gets one).

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

So uh, do we take this statement as legit and as a good omen for July? Learned of this on RGT 85's latest video.
Interesting. Does anyone think it will be Smash related or no? I don't think so since Min Min is coming out today.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
but when has Sakurai ever been that predicable?
Whether it was through divine providence or by simply coincidence KCCHIEFS27 KCCHIEFS27 and I were joking amongst ourselves that E3 2014 would have been Mii Fighters, Palutena, and Pac-Man, which was basically our worst-case scenario. (although I've personally come to like Pac-Man in Smash)

And then it was exactly those three.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I feel like all the newcomers, in retrospect, are somewhat predictable and "boring" picks. How can they surprise us with the base roster? Whoa, adding Ridley and K. Rool! This isn't necessarily true in advance of the announcements, of course. But, after the fact, all of the inclusions seem sensible and predictable to some degree. We can usually figure out the why of all the characters to be included. (Aside from Plant.)

Because of that, people tend to try "predicting" boring, predictable characters for their safe choices lists.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Whether it was through divine providence or by simply coincidence KCCHIEFS27 KCCHIEFS27 and I were joking amongst ourselves that E3 2014 would have been Mii Fighters, Palutena, and Pac-Man, which was basically our worst-case scenario. (although I've personally come to like Pac-Man in Smash)

And then it was exactly those three.
Little did I know they’d start letting literally anyone waltz into the game not long after that

SNEKeater

Smash Master
idk if you want he in, but has alredy be confirn that Kiryu won't be in smash, sorry: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ni...stas-lleguen-a-super-smash-bros-ultimate/amp/ (Sorry, this is the interview but i just find it on spanish)
That interview is from April 2019, by then Pass 2 wasn't finalized.
As for Kiryu and Majima, Nagoshi says: "Mr. Sakurai would not want them (laughs). It is all right if he said. But he does not want, maybe."

I don't think that's any deconfirmation. For Pass 2, I mean. It's more or less a standard answer. If Kiryu's actually in Smash as DLC, obviously he isn't gonna spoil it.
At best he could say "I'll like to see my character in Smash, but that's not up to me".

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mii was a very obvious addition. Mii Fighter, as in a very specific kind of Mii, was not so obvious and pretty difficult to guess. Since they play completely different from a general Mii, who would be representing the Wii game series, so not actually too different from stuff like what Waluigi can do(various Party games, sports, etc.) normally.

The customization stuff was quite interesting, and pretty cool. I mean, the weight system was pretty bad in 4 and basically got them banned for tournaments. It makes sense, as there's no way to easily define a reasonable "default" style for them. Ultimate still suffers somewhat from that, due to custom moves, but at least there's a significant change with no weight system. It's much easier to properly test them out and only ban certain builds if absolutely necessary. It isn't like Hero who had issues with RNG(and also that you couldn't properly read his RNG attacks, something that's supposed to be a balancing factor, making him a slight bit unfair. Language barriers are a legitimate problem to deal with overall). Not that he's an actual problem, even with RNG, but that made more sense than "random OTK move". Admittedly random criticals were a bit ridiculous, but nothing worth banning him over either. He's nowhere near what Brawl Meta Knight was, and MK was better than Pre-Patch Bayonetta too, which is saying something.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I wish they would have added a "Mi Magician" since there's so many magic users on the roster it should have been its own broad category by now.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I wish they would have added a "Mi Magician" since there's so many magic users on the roster it should have been its own broad category by now.
I keep saying Smash needs more mages/casesters in general. Even the one actual mage we have still stabs with a knife. Mii Mage would be great, especially with a black mage costume. Or just add Vivi/Black Mage/Shantotto you cowards.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The way I look at it is Mii Mage is basically a mix of Gunner and Swordfighter. The weapon generally is a long disjointed hitbox, which even a Wand works for that. But they also focus on magic and projectiles, which works well for various sword-like attacks. Think of Marth's slashes having a magical effect.

So they could accomplish it with either a new class or basically make it so the Magic-wielding Swordfighter costumes have new animations that have magical colored effects for their sword slashes. So only ones like the Viridi or Lip costume, and other such similar ones(more or less you could apply it to any costume that doesn't use an actual sword, whether it's a club/wand/staff, etc.). I prefer a new class and it could also have non weapon attacks too, being somewhat of a combination of all 3.

It's worth noting the magic users in Smash actually are extremely variable. Some are very physical, while others use weapons, and others use projectiles too. All 3 Mii Fighter types have capabilities that work for "Mage" within the series. You'd just need new specials at the very least, since a lot don't work that well. An Absorb spell like Ness' PSI Shield is one perfect way(since absorbing magic is a very common spell/ability in stuff like DnD). You could probably throw in a variation on Warlock Punch too to show off the physical ways to use magic. Teleport is another given. Not sure on what the obvious Side B would be, though. Another thought is that since you have 3 options per Special, one could be based around Gunner/Swordfighter/Brawler style. Teleport would be Gunner, easily(MegaMan is a good reason to suggest that, for instance).

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
British Summer Time.
Thank you. I live in Sweden and we basically go with "Military time"( 00:00-23:59 ) instead of am, pm and all that which is why I´m a little lost at the time with the different "zones" so to speak

T2by4

Smash Lord
18 more minutes if I'm not mistaken right? I wonder they'll be anymore bugs with certain characters that could hint at who's next. Also, I wonder if Min Min's WoL spirit will change... Hmm.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Thank you. I live in Sweden and we basically go with "Military time"( 00:00-23:59 ) instead of am, pm and all that which is why I´m a little lost at the time with the different "zones" so to speak
timezones exist irrespective of 12 or 24 hour time and the UK is an hour behind Sweden

Atmoz

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5145-1574-6323
Min Min's fighter spirit is called "Min Min (Fighter)" and uses a different piece of art from ARMS, the WOL spirit is the exact same as it was in base game. Huh....

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Min Min's fighter spirit is called "Min Min (Fighter)" and uses a different piece of art from ARMS, the WOL spirit is the exact same as it was in base game. Huh....
Ack, you beat me to the punch! I did take some screenshots of her world of light battle before and after the patch, and like you said there wasn't anything changed with her spirit battle...
Here are the screenshots if anyone's interested. The ones with Banjo were taken in 7.0.0, the ones with Min Min are obviously 8.0.0:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I think there was a 4chan "leak" that claimed one of the DLC characters would be a League of Legends character, and said "leak" managed to get one or two details right (and I'm putting the word "leak" in quotes because I obviously have no idea whether to trust it or not).
So.......Katalina 2.0.

Seriously the days where she was seen as likely were my ****ing nightmares.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
IT IS TIME TO COMMIT SACRILEGE OF THE HIGHEST ORDER, DESTROY THE FABRIC OF TIME AND SPACE ITSELF.

EbuS0WQU8AEEfis.jpg
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
YOU CAN'T JUST HAVE A SPIRIT AS A FIGHTER NOOOOOOOO WHAT ABOUT THE SPIRIT LORE, WHAT ABOUT WHAT SAKURAI SAID NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE UNIVERSE CAN'T HANDLE IT, YOU'VE MESSED WITH THE NATURAL ORDER!

D

Deleted member

Sure: sakurai and team don’t care about how the new DLC affects the main game. So no limits on what spirits could be promoted.
Pretty much this. Geno’s Fighters Spirit could use his Smash Ultimate render like Wii Fit and Cloud if they couldn’t find another image or they could possibly make up an original render like the Banjo and Kazooie spirits. They could use an image of Geno from the SMRPG jigsaw puzzle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
IMG_20200629_204552.jpg

Min Min's Classic Mode spirit is different than her regular one and specifies it as (Fighter)

GEE SOUNDS AWFULLY SIMILAR TO SOMETHING PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SAYING THEY COULD EASILY DO WITH SPIRITS THAT ARE ALREADY IN THE GAME, HMMMMM

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Man, these are going to be quite the times ahead methinks. With the Spirit promotion of Min-Min occurring, there's going to be quite a lot of internal battles between fandoms. I mean, it's always been that way, but with Min-Min, it's quite different since now it's strong evidence that fan-rule was nothing more than imaginary. Here's hoping that Geno finally gets his rightful dues, right?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Hey, does this mean anything major, because it feels like something is flying over my head right now.

Most likely nothing major. At least we know that the stages stay on one screen still, instead of a second page like what the 3DS CSS did when all DLC was downloaded.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Me, seeing people reguritating this same tired **** yet again
View attachment 276666
Okay, serious question, and this doesn't have anything to do with Geno specifically: why is it that when people try and come up with a list of newcomers that are "realistic", they always go for the most boring or predictable choices imaginable? "All we're getting is another Pokemon no one cares about, a shill pick from a big chinese company, and someone else that's easy to predict, I dunno..." Has Smash Ultimate's roster even come close to that level of boring? Hell, has any Smash game ever gotten close to that level of boring?

Take a step back and marvel at the absolute banger of a roster we've gotten thus far. Ridley alone would've easily made this roster great, but then we get **** like Simon Belmont, King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie. Hell, even the Echo Fighters this time are characters people actually wanted like Daisy, Chrom and Dark Samus. Now sure, they haven't all been home-runs, but as a whole this roster has easily been one of the best in the series' history, filled with plenty of characters people outright believed to be impossible, characters even the director of the series himself said weren't feasable. And yet, despite all of this, people continue to keep their expectations as low as possible.

I honestly can't stand it when people continue to low-ball their predictions like this. I mean I get it, you don't want to set yourselves up for disappointment for what is potentially the third time in a row, or perhaps you're just sick of being wrong in your predictions and just want to feel as if you have any idea as to who's getting in. But at this point, given how this roster has gone in the >2 years since it's initial reveal, if you still believe that the best we're getting for the remainder of this Fighter Pass is a bunch of boring shill picks or obvious mascot characters, and that the likes of Geno or Waluigi are outright impossible at this point, then I'd recommend taking a good look back at past precedent.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Yes. Yes he was.
Because Nintendo has dissapointed for a lot of time.
Nothing like Corrin and Byleth to see obvious higher up interference

Yes, there's a lot of evidence for Geno. But also against him. Right now i feel like there's a 50/50. If sakurai was the only one in charge, i would be absolutely sure.

That's why in the realistic predictions, it bothers me.
In the desired predictions, Geno is the no 1 for me.
Then Nightmare, Dante and Crash.
Master chief or doom guy for the last spot.

MattX20

Smash Hero
With MinMin officially released, it's only a matter of time before the reveal trailer for FP7 comes along.

Griselda

Smash Lord
What does Geno even have going against him at this point? Besides a general 'Sakurai/Nintendo/Square might just decide not to use him', which can apply to any character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom