• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Smash Lord
Sakurai's wanted Geno to be playable for over a decade. I doubt he would be opposed to him now of all times
Yet he still isn't in the game...

Smashboards is acting up again so I'll have to wait until tomorrow for photos but, thanks to @Corbin I decided to dig up up some of my old stuff. I found my Nintendo Power SMRPG guide (complete with missing pages and a corner a cat chewed off) that I bought in 1997 and my rough draft Smash idea list from 2002 (so I would have been about 14 at the time). Some highlights:

-My Mario list has 11 characters. Waluigi isn't one of them but Birdo and Kamek are.

-Banjo's still on here so the RARE/Nintendo divorce didn't happen yet.

-Metroid section has Kraid and has a side note that says "make him the size of Bowser."

-I have a Fire Emblem section that I crossed out. It reads "Marth, Roy, add two major characters to this list since I have never played this game."

-I have a Nintendo Classic section. Little Mac, Pit, and Lololol and Lalala are here, weirdly enough.

-I have an "RPG and Other" section. Geno's first and Mallow's second. "The boy and girl from Animal Crossing" are here too.

-I don't have a third party section but I have a Capcom section weirdly enough. It has Megaman, X, and Exe. Despite being extremely meh about Ryu's inclusion in 2015, him and Chun Li are here too. I have Rebecca (not Jill) and Chris from Resident Evil as well.

-Bomberman and Goemon are the first two listed in my "wish list of new characters who probably won't be added" section.

Crazy what all has changed in almost 18 years.

Ope, Smashboards has un****ed itself:

View attachment 276316

View attachment 276317
View attachment 276318
View attachment 276319
I've got that same guide and it's in a million pieces as well.

RichieGonzo

Smash Rookie
Heyo guys quick question for y'all.

I've heard that it's possible that we might get a fighter reveal on July 7th. I've also heard some ppl say that apparently Min Min was originally supposed to be revealed in April, and Packs 7/8 at E3. Anyone got a source for this? If this is true it greatly supports the whole April 7th reveal thing.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Heyo guys quick question for y'all.

I've heard that it's possible that we might get a fighter reveal on July 7th. I've also heard some ppl say that apparently Min Min was originally supposed to be revealed in April, and Packs 7/8 at E3. Anyone got a source for this? If this is true it greatly supports the whole April 7th reveal thing.
Sure mate. Here's proof ARMS was originally supposed to be an April release:

https://slickdeals.net/f/13864508-n...isabelle-super-smash-bros-pre-order-at-target

https://animalcrossingworld.com/202...re-release-on-april-17th-pre-orders-open-now/

This Amiibo wave was delayed until June, continuing Amiibo theory that characters always release the same month as Amiibo waves.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If Geno finally don't get in as a playable fighter, blame Sakurai for giving priority to Piranha Plant before him. It sounds a bit aggressive but that would be a fantastic chance to happen; the big bonus if you buy Smash Ultimate in its first 2 months.

I get the reason to include Ridley (popular), King K Rool (popular), Simon (maybe not that hugh popular but Sakurai likes him), Inkling (a bit popular and was the newest IP Nintendo released at end 2015), Isabelle (new face of Animal Crossing and that IP is huge, even nowdays) and Incineroar (Pokemon is huge and propably PKM Company has a deal that obligate Sakurai to include a new Pokemon Rep) but I think Piranha Plant was something like "mm I need to include a Mario Universe character..well I included him"
For F sake... sorry, but no.... Sakurai loves to put a "WTF" character in every Smash game since Melee. First, it was G&W, then it was R.O.B, after that Duck Hunt and Wii Fitt Trainer. Not to mention, all of them, with the exception of Wii Fitt trainer, has some form of "legacy" within videogame history. Piranha Plant fits the same category as G&W, Duck Hunt, and R.O.B perfectly. He is yet another "I did not see that coming" while also being one of the most recognizable villains in videogame history... for a game that is about CELEBRATE videogames... As far as we know, the plant was someone that were supposed to be in the base roster but he were unable able to finish in time, so they made him a "pre-order bonus" for the sake of giving them time to complete him.

If you want to "blame someone" if Geno doesn´t get in, blame Square who clearly wanted to have their second character to be Hero for obvious reasons (market in the west + fan demand in Japan)... Sakurai is not a magical entity that can say "I want that character" and he suddenly is allowed to use him/her. It´s not even he that makes the paper works for the third party reps. It´s Nintendo that makes the paperwork. Heck, I would not be surprised if Square demanded Heros inclusion as a bargaining tool to allow Sakurai and Nintendo to have Cloud back within the base game.

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
For F sake... sorry, but no.... Sakurai loves to put a "WTF" character in every Smash game since Melee. First, it was G&W, then it was R.O.B, after that Duck Hunt and Wii Fitt Trainer. Not to mention, all of them, with the exception of Wii Fitt trainer, has some form of "legacy" within videogame history. Piranha Plant fits the same category as G&W, Duck Hunt, and R.O.B perfectly. He is yet another "I did not see that coming" while also being one of the most recognizable villains in videogame history... for a game that is about CELEBRATE videogames... As far as we know, the plant was someone that were supposed to be in the base roster but he were unable able to finish in time, so they made him a "pre-order bonus" for the sake of giving them time to complete him.

If you want to "blame someone" if Geno doesn´t get in, blame Square who clearly wanted to have their second character to be Hero for obvious reasons (market in the west + fan demand in Japan)... Sakurai is not a magical entity that can say "I want that character" and he suddenly is allowed to use him/her. It´s not even he that makes the paper works for the third party reps. It´s Nintendo that makes the paperwork. Heck, I would not be surprised if Square demanded Heros inclusion as a bargaining tool to allow Sakurai and Nintendo to have Cloud back within the base game.
This post just made me realize - aside from the 7 Square Theory, what ELSE do we know about Square’s thoughts on Geno? Clearly they must be aware of the fan demand for Geno. Does anyone have any interviews/etc from Square reps POST Geno Mii Costume?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Are any of you experiencing problems with Smashboards? I have and since yesterday the site has been going either SUPER slow for me or just unworkable.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Are any of you experiencing problems with Smashboards? I have and since yesterday the site has been going either SUPER slow for me or just unworkable.
Looks like fan rules were the actual support for the site to exist. Now that spirits deconfirm is deconfirmed, the site is collapsing on itself!

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Looks like fan rules were the actual support for the site to exist. Now that spirits deconfirm is deconfirmed, the site is collapsing on itself!
Smashboards as the timelines with fan rules and without Geno all collapse out of existence:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace

Mr. G&W, ROB and Duck Hunt has something in common, they represent 80’s Nintendo hardware (Game Watch, ROB and Zapper) so there is a reason to include them. Wii Fit Trainer represents Wii IPs (alonside other stuff).

What I mean, if Sakurai really wanted Geno, he could have negotiated with Square to include him for base roster or bonus DLC. I don’t think any publisher would say no to Sakurai. I mean, I think that is a big honor to be playable in Smash.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Mr. G&W, ROB and Duck Hunt has something in common, they represent 80’s Nintendo hardware (Game Watch, ROB and Zapper) so there is a reason to include them. Wii Fit Trainer represents Wii IPs (alonside other stuff).

What I mean, if Sakurai really wanted Geno, he could have negotiated with Square to include him for base roster or bonus DLC. I don’t think any publisher would say no to Sakurai. I mean, I think that is a big honor to be playable in Smash.
You make a fair point there, as Reggie did mention previously that if Nintendo want a fighter, they pretty much get it. He said he didn't recall any company every saying "no" to Sakurai or Nintendo.

However, what you said before wasn't that. You said to blame Sakurai and said he prioritized Piranha Plant over Geno. Piranha Plant isn't my favorite fighter in the world or everything, but targeting the character so you can put your angst about Geno not getting in on something is unfair and unwarranted. Piranha Plant didn't affect Geno's chances, and if you think that then chances are you think Sora or any other Sqaure Enix character is Geno's enemy (which is a tribalistic mindset to have).

As much as I want Geno first this thread and his fans, it isn't fair for you to act like Piranha Plant deserves hate just because he is a Mario character and Geno didn't get the invite yet (and heck, Nintendo owns Piranha Plant whereas Square Enix owns Geno, so this issue already seems mute to me). As someone mentioned above, Piranha Plant is one of the most iconic villains (enemies) of all time. Regardless whether or not you think his invite was "deserved," Sakurai always includes a "WTF" character and Piranha Plant is iconic. Geno isn't iconic (no hate on Geno, I'm just stating the situation). I don't think Geno was ever considered to be in the spot Piranha Plant was.

You can dislike Piranha Plant, that's fine. Not every roster addition is a fan-favorite. But don't call for people to specifically target a character just because your personal choice didn't make it.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Square recently announced that several major announcements are coming in July and August because they had to liquidate the E3 presentation:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3639...sting-e3-replacement-will-announce-new-titles

Nintendo announced today that their Holiday line up is on track and implies should be announced soon:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Stealth40k/status/1276470436231106562?s=20

The Time of Kings™ approaches.

Side note: Apparently it's been hard leaked that Ubisoft is working on a brand new Rayman (not Rabbids) game. Congrats Ray-Men!

MattX20

Smash Hero
Has the site been having any more downtime this morning? Just wanted to make sure if it was just my connection or not

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Random fun thing, I have seen this users art of the Princesses in the plumber getup around Twitter, but I never noticed the SMRPG nod in the background of this one.

They have SMRPG inspired art in their banner, so clearly they are a big fan of the game.
You know what would be really nice? If they replaced those two characters' crowns with a pink hat with a big P on the front for Peach and a yellow hat and a flower around the big D on the front for Daisy. Seeing the crowns on Mario and Luigi's heads in that picture makes it readily apparent they symbolize a really anachronistic character role that has no place in modern games.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Square recently announced that several major announcements are coming in July and August because they had to liquidate the E3 presentation:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3639...sting-e3-replacement-will-announce-new-titles

Nintendo announced today that their Holiday line up is on track and implies should be announced soon:

Side note: Apparently it's been hard leaked that Ubisoft is working on a brand new Rayman (not Rabbids) game. Congrats Ray-Men!
The time of kings you say? Ah yes, then it is almost time. :starman::starman::starman:

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice

I would love to believe that this is Smash related and we are extremely close to see Geno's stellar return. However E3 was cancelled, so it's pretty normal that we are getting news from several videogame companies next month, it's probably just a coincidence.

And yeah, I'm experiencing problems with Smashboards as well, in fact I can't quote more posts. I don't even know if this reply will be posted lol.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The fact Square is announcing more of their content soon probably implies that their last Smash character choice was among them

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Is this Rayman leak able to be seen or read about somewhere or is it a private thing amongst your mates and such?

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
New Rayman game? Ubisoft has mentioned the Fighter's Pass multiple times before burying it... Not to get too hyped but his chance did just slighty increase by a notch if they were to announce the game this year and soon after him in Smash. One of the few times I'd take shilling.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
For F sake... sorry, but no.... Sakurai loves to put a "WTF" character in every Smash game since Melee. First, it was G&W, then it was R.O.B, after that Duck Hunt and Wii Fitt Trainer.
Sorry but that's definitely not correct. They're their own franchise reps that endow themselves the entry to Smash bros, there is no WTF represetives thing. That may even explain why plant piranha isn't welcomed, he isn't a "WTF franchsie rep" like those characters are.

For Geno, how to break the bottleneck and be picked when a Mario slot is given is always his challenge. So I wouldn't think "Nintendo is picking a WTF fighter so this justified Geno's failure" is valid. He should just fight for every chance to be picked.

As much as I want Geno first this thread and his fans, it isn't fair for you to act like Piranha Plant deserves hate just because he is a Mario character and Geno didn't get the invite yet (and heck, Nintendo owns Piranha Plant whereas Square Enix owns Geno, so this issue already seems mute to me). As someone mentioned above, Piranha Plant is one of the most iconic villains (enemies) of all time. Regardless whether or not you think his invite was "deserved," Sakurai always includes a "WTF" character and Piranha Plant is iconic. Geno isn't iconic (no hate on Geno, I'm just stating the situation). I don't think Geno was ever considered to be in the spot Piranha Plant was.

You can dislike Piranha Plant, that's fine. Not every roster addition is a fan-favorite. But don't call for people to specifically target a character just because your personal choice didn't make it.
I agree that personal preference isn't everything, and Geno the character indeed relies on fanbase support over offiical preference. Just that doesn't mean all the critiques come from personal preference so they are all invalid.

I think that's a common mistake when it comes to judging In a general view, we'd like to know which character is the most competent one among all the rest of unused characters and series and whether NIntendo could had done better decisions. So that comparison is necessary here.

It ends up like "everything classic happens in Mario" "every competent warrior comes from Fire Emblem" if we just look at the chosen fighters in invidual but ignore how the process of choices should go through. I mean what if some other iconic villains like Ridley and KRool failed? Would plant piranha still be appropriate when most iconic villains are not on the board?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
2020 and we're still making Square out to be this villainous any Geno organisation despite not only giving Sakurai permission to use his likeness and music from SMRPG in Smash 4's mii costume announcement but also letting him use Geno and Mallow as the only non-Cloud Square Enix spirits in the entire base game

"Sakurai is not a magical entity that can say "I want that character" and he suddenly is allowed to use him/her."

Yes he literally is

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Sorry but that's definitely not correct. They're their own franchise reps that endow themselves the entry to Smash bros, there is no WTF represetives thing. That may even explain why plant piranha isn't welcomed, he isn't a "WTF franchsie rep" like those characters are.

For Geno, how to break the bottleneck and be picked when a Mario slot is given is always his challenge. So I wouldn't think "Nintendo is picking a WTF fighter so this justified Geno's failure" is valid. He should just fight for every chance to be picked.
They are their own franchises yes, but they are still in the category of "WTF", who would have thought of that category. And it should be explained by itself why PP deserves it. ONE OF THE MOST ICONIC VILLAINS OF ALL TIME.

Funny, concidering he has tried to get Geno since Brawl, yet have not been able to get him, via the company that is said to be the hardest to get "guest appearances" from....and the same company that almost made the "everyone is here" not possible to happen.

Has the site been having any more downtime this morning? Just wanted to make sure if it was just my connection or not
It has been like this for me since yesterday.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord

The fact Square is announcing more of their content soon probably implies that their last Smash character choice was among them
Not everything relates to Smash.

Both Square and Nintendo couldn't put up any information regarding the rest of the year as their traditional E3 plans got scrapped. That's literally it. They're both large gaming companies that have plans that were delayed/reorganized; just because they're both likely to announce things soon doesn't really mean anything regarding Smash. It's probably safe to assume that there were certain things regarding games like Bravely Defautl 2 or maybe TWEWY 2 that were supposed to be shown off in the E3 Nintendo Direct; but we have 0 idea if Square is just going to put up the trailers up on their own now or wait for a Nintendo direct to announce those things.

Square has multiple titles in the works that have been announced, and probably even more so that they're still waiting on. The fact that they're announcing things now, again, doesn't really have anything in regards to them getting another Smash character soon. The most we can learn from this is that we should be getting more Square and Nintendo announcements soon, but that's literally it. Square isn't waiting for a Smash character in order to advertise the rest of their year. That said my guess of a Direct coming in late July/August is looking pretty likely now.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
i’ve always thought Piranha Plant was the worst choice ever added to Smash regardless if Geno gets in or not

It’s a generic enemy (not even a popular one like Goomba or Koopa)
The joke was only funny for 10 whole seconds
“Plant Gang” died within a single day of the character’s release
The moveset is clunky as hell
It’s gotta be my least favorite character in the game, easily. And that’s including Corrin and Byleth

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I just something that gets me a bit nervous to be quite honest. We are 3 Premium costumes in, and all of them have been Gunners.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Hot take: PP is a more interesting and original addition to the SSBU cast than Hero and Byleth. I’d personally prefer original characters like PP, Banjo, and hopefully Geno even if people have an issue with their not being “iconic” enough. I prefer funny common enemy character to Generic Anime Swordsman #15.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
I just something that gets me a bit nervous to be quite honest. We are 3 Premium costumes in, and all of them have been Gunners.
If you’re considering Vault Boy to be a Premium costume despite his lack of music, then you should also consider Rex as one too. His costume clearly has more put into it than most Mii costumes (Sakurai drew attention to it as well).

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
2020 and we're still making Square out to be this villainous any Geno organisation despite not only giving Sakurai permission to use his likeness and music from SMRPG in Smash 4's mii costume announcement but also letting him use Geno and Mallow as the only non-Cloud Square Enix spirits in the entire base game

"Sakurai is not a magical entity that can say "I want that character" and he suddenly is allowed to use him/her."

Yes he literally is
After everything Sakurai's managed to pull off, to think there are still people that think he has limits. Granted, there are likely characters he chooses not to pursue due to the extremely high cost or hassle of getting them, but to say that he couldn't get someone the likes of Geno if he wanted to? Laughable. Smash is one of the most legendary sources of advertising and exposure the gaming industry has. Hell, there are devs that would PAY NINTENDO to get their characters in. I have a hard time imagining a dev so freaking idiotically diva that when Sakurai walks up to them with a wad of cash and instant fame (or more if they already have it) that they would go stingy on him and tell him to scoot. If such a person exists, I'd love to know who they are so I could count them among some of the stupidest people in existence. Even if people want to cite the noticeable lack of SE content in smash compared to all other companies, note that Sakurai still got Cloud! The poster boy of one of the most premiere JRPG franchises! I guess you could pretend like it means nothing, but to this day, I still count him as one of the most "holy ****, he actually got in!" characters right next to BK.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
i’ve always thought Piranha Plant was the worst choice ever added to Smash regardless if Geno gets in or not

It’s a generic enemy (not even a popular one like Goomba or Koopa)
The joke was only funny for 10 whole seconds
“Plant Gang” died within a single day of the character’s release
The moveset is clunky as hell
It’s gotta be my least favorite character in the game, easily. And that’s including Corrin and Byleth
I usually never talk about characters I dislike on the roster (since I am very content with the roster), but in my opinion, :ultdoc: , :ultcorrin: , and :ultpiranha: are the worst character choices. This is the first time I think I've ever expressed this so allow me to explain.

I think all three characters are bad choices in their own ways, but to start, Dr. Mario probably is the least egregious because, well, it is Super flippin' Mario. I dislike the idea that there is more than one of a character on the roster (:ultzss: gets a pass because at least regular Samus looks different). People complain about :ultdarkpit:, but at least he is an actual separate character (despite his name and his appearance). Nowadays anger towards him seems to have lessened due to the "Echo Fighter" moniker (seriously, if he wasn't already in the game he would definitely be a highly requested Echo.) Dark Pit is canonically a separate character so I'm fine with him, whereas Dr. Mario literally is Mario just in a doctor's outfit. In my opinion, it should be a skin, but, again, it is Mario of all characters so I give it a begrudging pass. Really wish Dr. Mario was a costume, but he is the Mickey Mouse of gaming and Nintendo's mascot so I let it slide. But still, at least clone characters like Pichu are actually different characters, not what is basically a skin.

Then we get to Corrin. Now, I am not a Fire Emblem hater. I agree that Fire Emblem has a bit too many characters in Smash, but I recognize that is due to a certain set of circumstances that have led us to this point. Personally, I think :ultmarth:, :ultike:, :ultrobin:, and :ultbyleth: should be the FE characters in Smash (with :ultlucina: as an Echo or a skin) as all of them not only have unique movesets, but also come from acclaimed games. I hate to be stereotypical, but this is where Corrin falls apart for me. Despite them having a neat moveset, they will always feel like a shill pick to me (and I hate to use that term). Look, putting my Three Houses affection aside, I agree the Byleth reveal was poorly handled. However, if there were less FE characters in Smash, I think Byleth's reception would've been a lot smoother. At least Three houses was a commercial and critical darling, whereas Fates split the community and is looked upon as probably one of the worst FE games. As opposed to Three Houses which is touted as one of the greatest FE games, bringing the community mostly together it seems. Dr. Mario is aping the Mickey Mouse of gaming, so he technically has a legacy, but Corrin comes from a divisive game and doesn't really have a legacy. Again, despite Byleth's shoddy reveal, that character does and will continue to have a legacy that is looked upon favorably. Three Houses being represented doesn't feel totally like selling out, as opposed to Corrin representing a game even before release. Sure, I understand if one were to think Byleth is still a shill, but with their radio moveset and hailing from an actually impactful critically acclaimed game, I think most agree that Byleth is a better character choice than Corrin in almost every way.

Lastly, Piranha Plant. Now as I mentioned in my "Geno confessional" a bit back, I love Super Mario. It is probably in my top 3 video games series. However, Piranha Plant does feel a little... hollow to me. As much as I love Mario and like the "WTF" additions in Smash past, Piranha Plant isn't a character. The issue with Piranha Plant is that since he is a generic enemy it is hard to connect with him. Now I understand the Pokémon are technically "generic," but at least you can bond with them. Your Pokémon can become your own and you can create memories with them. Piranha Plant, on the other hand, wasn't even playable before this. I love Petey Piranha because he is this weird flower monster with a funny voice and a swimsuit, but Petey didn't get in, now did he? Petey is an actual identifiable character who isn't generic. Piranha Plant is and people have never even gotten to play as him. At least with something like a Goomba or Koopa Troopa there have been the opportunities to play as them in spinoff games. But Piranha Plant has only ever been an enemy. And, again, I'm all for a "WTF" pick like :ultgnw:, :ulticeclimbers:, :ultduckhunt:, and :ultwiifittrainer:, but Piranha Plant isn't really a character like they are. Yes I know Mr. Game & Watch and Wii Fit Trainer technically don't have much in the way of personalities, but they are characters at least. Piranha Plant just being a generic enemy makes the invite lesser a little bit because, yeah, he isn't an actual character. At least Corrin is a character. At least Dr. Mario is a character (by literally being another one). Piranha Plant is indeed iconic and probably favorite generic Mario enemy, but I would've rather had another retro character like the Excitebiker, Balloon Fighter, or Mach Rider.

Tl:dr

I think Dr. Mario, Corrin, and Piranha Plant are all iffy choices for their own reasons, but at least each one of them do have redeemable qualities. Sakurai usually makes good characters for Smash and with a roster over 80, the man is bound to make a few mistakes here and there. Smash's roster is far from perfect and while I don't typically like to focus on the bad sides of the roster, it is important to view and accept the bad so you can appreciate the good that much more.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If you’re considering Vault Boy to be a Premium costume despite his lack of music, then you should also consider Rex as one too. His costume clearly has more put into it than most Mii costumes (Sakurai drew attention to it as well).
Vault Boy is a bit more of a premium because it actually looks like the character

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Piranha Plant's really fun to use so I like him. He's clearly a "let's just freaking do this" kind of pick and I like the end result. If it were up to me I probably would have gone for another Mario enemy but I'm content with Piranha Plant and how he was handled.

Which makes this thread extremely hard to read sometimes...

Lightspeed97

Smash Cadet

Veeery interesting coincidence... You just recently talked a lot about your thoughts on FP7 being announced in July due to delays and the cancellation of E3. Now, it just so happens that Square now stated their cancelled E3 announcements will be happening starting July as well...

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Nintendo confirming everything being on track for this fiscal year is very interesting. Like I said a few days ago Nintendo waiting until September to announce their Holiday line-up is insanity (particularly in a year with two next-gen console launches) and now here we are at the end of June with nothing out after Paper Mario less than a month from now. If Covid has seemingly only been a large-speedbump rather than a full on traffic stop for them something has to give soon in regards to information.

Good outlook for a new Rayman game is awesome. It was always more of a "when" rather than an "if" honestly given that Ubisoft usually lets Micheal Ancel do his own thing because he/Rayman is basically the only reason the company even took off in the first place. He even said a few years ago he wanted to do Rayman 4 after he finished WILD and BGE2 but the first one seems to be vaporware and we haven't seen BGE2 in 2 years so that's probably getting moved to next-gen.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
“Who do we blame if Geno doesn’t get in the game?”

Here me out... how about nobody? Maybe when you make a video game designed to represent literally the entirety of the medium, some fanbases will inherently not be as lucky as others considering development time is finite and everyone is vying for the limited amount of DLC spots? Believe me, I get it; it sucks when your pick doesn’t get in. I’ve been a Geno fan since before Brawl too. But I don’t think expressing your disappointment by finding someone to blame is a healthy coping mechanism. Every character that makes it in instead of Geno makes someone else happy, (yes, even :ultpiranha:,) and it’s important to keep that in the back of your mind. Of course, I’m not saying that you can’t also critique character choice from a personal point of view or you have to like every character, but the important thing is that no character in this game is made solely out of spite or for business decisions. For a lot of people, Byleth is fun. Hero is fun. Piranha Plant is fun. And they were made to be that way by people who put a lot of love and hours into making these characters real. So instead of issuing blame if Geno doesn’t get in, I say it’s better to express your disappointment in healthy ways and not use targeted anger as a coping mechanism.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I decided to dig up up some of my old stuff. I found my Nintendo Power SMRPG guide (complete with missing pages and a corner a cat chewed off) that I bought in 1997 and my rough draft Smash idea list from 2002 (so I would have been about 14 at the time). Some highlights:
I don't have any of my lists anymore but I do recall saying either 2006 or 2007 that Lucario should be in Brawl but he should be based on Mewtwo's moveset, who should be cut. I have no idea why I was so adamant about this, but I felt weirdly vindicated when that was basically the case after being flamed so hard for my roster posts on either Nsider. I had Geno as a Mario character and the 3rd parties I wanted were Sonic, Snake, and Mega Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom