• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

link2702

Smash Champion
Tomorrow we'll know for sure what the arms character is. Anyone other than springman or ribbongirl would be a tad worrisome imo.

The biggest thing though we need to look out for is the mii costumes. We'll either be able to breath a sign of relief again at least momentarily, or we might need to pack it up and throw in the towel in the worst case scenario if we Get "Geno, the premiimum costume"

Although Nintendo stated quite clearly there won't be any other characte reveal tomorrow, anyone think there's a chance of a "hint" of who's next? That's not something I know that nintendo has done ever in the past, but maybe in these strange times, they might throw a bone at folks since the pandemic has really slowed development time and they know folks are anxious for more regular news.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Right, guess I'll drop my predictions for tomorrow's Direct:
  • The ARMS Fighter will be Min-Min, or Spring Man as a possible second option. I think there still might be a chance for a 2-in-1 or 4-in-1 character (Spring Man & Ribbon Girl for the former, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Min-Min for the latter), but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Their main gimmick will be their Stretch ARMStrong's, with some fighter-specific gimmicks being available.
  • Their home stage will be either their own, Spring Stadium, or Sky Arena. The main gimmick of each of these stages is the occasional drones that drop in soccer ball bombs or Healing Fields, the latter of which mimick the green soda bottles.
  • Their music will be a good portion of the ARMS soundtrack, namely the themes for Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min-Min, Master Mummy, Mechanica, Twintelle, Helix, Max Brass, Dr. Coyle, and Hedlok's theme when fought at levels 5-6. Other themes will include remixes of the main theme.
  • Their Mii Costumes will be another grab bag of random costumes. The two returning costumes will be the Monster Hunter costumes from Smash 4. They will come with a "Deluxe" Mii Costume based on another indie character. No bets on who it'll be, but I'm hoping for Madeline from Celeste. I'm also hoping for the Cacodemon Hat to make an appearance, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • The presentation will follow a similar structure to Terry and Byleth's presentations: Introduction with Sakurai sittin' like a snack, followed by the reveal trailer for the ARMS Fighter. Sakurai then explains to us what arms are, followed by a rundown of the character's moves and general playstyle. This is followed up with a quick match showcasing the fighter in-action. Their stage is next, followed by the music, Mii Costumes, maybe a run through of their Classic Mode route though I hope this isn't the case, and the next wave of amiibos are shown off. The presentation then concludes shortly thereafter. There are no extra teases of upcoming fighters.
Here's hoping tomorrow's Direct is a good one! :ultbrawler:~~~~~~:ultlittlemac:~~~~~~:ultbrawler:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Gonna join in before it's too late

Smash 4
:4mewtwo:4/5 - First introduction to Mewtwo in Smash and I think he's a fun character.
:4lucas:3.5/5 - Happy to see a Brawl veteran return but it wasn't my first choice.
:4feroy:2/5 - Was happy for FE fans but I really don't care about him otherwise.
:4ryu:2.5/5 - Cool to see him get in Smash but I don't like playing as him at all.
:4cloud:2/5 - Shock factor was there but I have no attachment to him. Cool stage though.
:4bayonetta:1/5 - Did not give a damn about her, most likely not the ballot winner, and killed Smash 4 meta.
:4corrin:0/5- Aside from not liking FE at all, Fates didn't even come out in the West by the time he was revealed, so that really soured my mood.

Ultimate
:ultpiranha:3.5/5 - Was miffed at first but he's a fun wacky character.
:ultjoker:1/5 - Similar to Cloud but there wasn't much of a shock value and I like him as much as Bayonetta.
:ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4:2/5 - I get the importance of Dragon Quest but my distaste in JRPGs prevents me from really liking them.
:ultbanjokazooie:10/5 - Holy ****! I screamed loudly multiple times when I saw them FINALLY join Smash and they are a very fun duo to play as.
:ult_terry:3/5 - Like with Ryu, I don't like playing as him but I like Terry as a character and his stage is fun. Getting a ****ton of songs was also nice.
:ultbyleth:-5/5 - Corrin is worse moveset wise but god damn this reveal felt so much worse and was timed horribly.

Feel free to bash and criticize my opinions.
P.S The artifact theory was correct but it led to another Fire Emblem character when I was hoping for Doomguy. :crying:

DuoStuff

Smash Rookie
I do not know how to do the little icon things, so I'll just do my list with words. XD

Mewtwo 2/5: Not a Pokemon guy, and never was too big on Mewtwo. Cool he started the DLC, but that's kinda it.
Lucas 4/5: Was pretty happy to see him come back honestly.
Roy 2/5: Character from a game I haven't played. Hard to be that excited.
Ryu 3/5: Was neat to see a third party, but Street Fighter does little for me, and I really don't care for his moveset.
Cloud 5/5: Super exciting reveal, super fun character. He was my main in Smash 4 for a reason.
Corrin 1/5: Felt really strange to get a character from a game that hadn't even released in America yet.
Bayonetta 5/5: Was my 3rd most wanted character at the time. Her reveal made me scream.

Ultimate
Plant 1/5: Still very miffed about the timing of the announcement. Would've been hilarious, but right after all the deconfirmations, it felt a liiiiitle bit dumb.
Joker 5/5: Freaking amazing initial reveal, stylist character, and honestly Joker is just a lot of fun.
Hero 3/5: Liked Hero more than expected. Honestly a really fun character.
Banjo 4/5: Amazing fanservice pick. I was mostly really happy for everyone else.
Terry 2/5: If it wasn't for the 50 music tracks, this reveal would've done practically nothing for me.
Byleth 4/5: I was one of the few who actually wanted a Three Houses character, and was really happy to see them. They're also one of my favorite characters to play as from the DLC. Sucks that people legit got mad at me for being happy about it. :(

I uh... Doubt many will agree with me. (Especially on Byleth and Terry.)

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I don't even remember my reactions to Smasg 4's DLC and they're all in Ultimate anyway so I'll just stick with Ultimate DLC

:ultpiranha:: 5/5
:ultjoker:: 4/5
:ulthero:: 3/5
:ultbanjokazooie:: 5/5
:ult_terry:: 3/5
:ultbyleth:: 3/5

The ARMS character will likely rank anywhere from 3 to 4 (maybe even 5 if I end up really liking their moveset)

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
My DLC Excitement Ratings

Smash 4 DLC:

So uh, I actually wasn't on the Smash hype train till Ultimate. I played decent amount of Smash 4 but it wasn't something I played regularly. I saw all the DLC reveals but shrugged most of them off at the time since I didn't recognize them. It wasn't till Ultimate that I really got into Smash Bros. Though would like to throw in 2 honorable mentions for 4's DLC cycle

:4cloud:- At the time I didn't get the significance but looking back now having gotten into Ultimate and also having played FF7, this was a really cool reveal. The fact too that no one saw it coming at the time and it was a complete surprise makes it even better. Wish I got the significance of it at the time

Geno Mii Costume - I know it's not technically a character, but this was actually the one thing I remember from Smash 4's DLC cycle that I got hyped for when I saw it. Had no clue it was thrown in because Geno had a huge following for Smash so finding that out few years later was a nice surprise

Ultimate's DLC:
:ultpiranha: 2/5 - Was spoiled on it before I could see his reveal. So that soiled it, but it was a bizarre enough pick to get me a little excited

:ultjoker:5/5 - I haven't played Persona, and didn't know anything about this character, but the reveal was extremely shocking and out of left field that it got me extremely hyped. The trailer was executed really well. Really hope FP2 reveals a character like this sometime down the road

:ulthero:3/5 - So Dragon Quest is actually the only character from FP1 that I've actually played games from. I rank it midway not cause I dislike the characters, but it was leaked months in advance so it wasn't all that surprising. The alts were pretty neat though and some parts of the trailer were cool

:ultbanjokazooie: 4/5 - No attachment to Banjo but it was nice to see Nintendo fulfill this long standing request. Not much too say, just a really happy reveal

:ult_terry:3/5 - Didn't know anything about Terry, and it was leaked but the trailer was really fun and unique that it managed to get me decently excited about a character I wasn't familiar with

:ultbyleth:1/5 - I don't hate the character, but the reveal just was eh. Trailer was ok (though I liked the too many swordsmen joke) and choice itself felt like a step down from the previous picks

Last edited:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
:ultmewtwo: 4/5 Was glad to have him back.
:ultlucas: 5/5 First they took my main, Roy. Then they took my new main, Lucas. Then they brought him back!
:ultroy: 10/5 My boy Roy! I was really hyped when they brought him back.
:ultryu: 3/5 I think he was a good addition to have.
:ultcloud: 5/5 FF wouldn't have any other rep first, this was a good addition.
:ultbayonetta: 2/5 I had never heard of her before this, but she seems to fit well.
:ultcorrin: 1/5 We don't need more FE characters, but at least they're kinda fun to play. This was a really poor way to end Smash 4.

:ultpiranha: -20/5 His inclusion still stings. Basically every assist trophy deserves to be playable more than Plant.
:ultjoker: 4/5 I hadn't played a Persona game up to this point, but I have started P5 since and I like Joker's inclusion.
:ulthero: 4/5 A great addition, deserved to be in. Only change I would've made is to name the various alts after the default name of each character rather than the blanket Hero.
:ultbanjokazooie: 5/5 Added purely for the fans. This is what they should be doing for every DLC slot.
:ult_terry: 3/5 While I knew very little of KoF/FF before his inclusion, I was aware of Terry. I understand the series' significance in regards to Smash now, but he's not that exiting for me.
:ultbyleth: -5/5 Seriously a terrible way end the first pass.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Threw in my last second prediction for tomorrow. As long as the fighter is a spirit I'm happy. Just the sheer smugness I'll have will be monumental, ESPECIALLY if it's springman. I'm absolutely gonna start Wahposting again even though I don't care if Wah gets in or not. Just the fact that his fans got bullied this long and have a potential shot of actually getting in if Springman is revealed will be glorious enough.

Screenshot_20200621-222952_Chrome.jpg

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I finally read through the entirety of this thread starting from my last post and man, what a ride. I'm glad they're finally going to reveal the character tomorrow morning and while it's likely to only be related to ARMS, it'll at least show if assists or spirits can be upgraded or if it's really that much of a problem to disable Springman's assist when he's in play, or like I said before, treat a video game as such.

So people are rating the DLC? Sure.
Mewtwo: 6, was hoping for more DLC to come.
Lucas: 7 initially, 5 when the DLC ended, where was Wolf?
Roy: 5, and I called that a new FE character was coming on the DKVine at the time.
Ryu: 6, interesting pick and I thought this one was Capcom's request for putting in Mega Man in the base game/
Cloud: 4 because of the reasoning Sakurai mentioned for having him. Enjoying the games themselves seemed like a copout answer, didn't buy.
Corrin: 1 and that's being generous. Even when I saw it coming it still pissed me off.
Bayonetta*: 6 overall, 1 for that blatant lie to justify her inclusion. I like her games and I'm eager about Bayo3 but as soon as that asterisk appeared I called bull**** on the whole thing. Worse was everyone crying about being salty and woe is Sakurai. Even better when it was revealed she wasn't that high in the ballot. Thank you Kremling King for emerging two miserable years later.
Extra: Geno getting that splash screen was more of a surprise than Bayonetta and Corrin.

Overall, Ryu was the last DLC I brought for that game, deleted all the other DLC when I saw Bayonetta* and gave the game to my nephew.

Plant: 6 overall, 3 if I had to buy it. Glad that wasn't the case.
Joker: 3, don't play as him but I did get the P3 victory music. Would have preferred Jack Frost.
Hero: 8 for the execution. I wanted the Slime in but Hero works as well. This is what I hope the ARMS rep will take notes from
Banjo-Kazooie: 10/10 I will now buy your pass.
Terry: 7 for SNK being cool and letting Sakurai get all that music and for going all out with the DLC. Compared to the tightwad fees from Sugiyama's estate and everything to do with Square and Final Fantasy's music rights, this alone saved it. Plus it was fun seeing all the kiddies getting mad over a 3rd party character at the same time when they made the claim that 3rd parties generate more hype and are more interesting than scraping the bottom of the barrel of Nintendo's 1st/2nd party catalog. Serves them right.
Byleth: 1 overall, zero for being another FE character. FE's nepotism is well-documented and this happened with Smash Four. Chibi-Robo could have taken Corrin's place and I would have brought that character instead. Byleth could have been Ring Fit Trainer, King Boo, the protagonists from Astral Chain, or ARMS itself. Any other 1st party game could have gotten a push, why is it always Fire Emblem? Worse was how Sakurai hyped it up to be some top secret character. Technically if you brought the whole pass, you got Byleth for free but that's like buying a bag of apples and finding a granny smith in the middle.

Bad analogy, I know. But a bonus is just that - an optional addition that I can do with or without.
I'm not going to buy the second pass until I know full well what's in. If I have to wait until 2022, so be it. I refuse to have my money wasted on another Byleth. And if they do show another FE game before the DLC ends, you know who's coming at the dead end of the pass.

With that, I'm going to bed. Tomorrow, the sun may rise on our hopes, or burn them into ash.

DuoStuff

Smash Rookie
I think the thing that's so frustrating about FE in Smash is that now every time I mention that I love Fire Emblem, I usually get someone coming after me saying "Oh Fire Emblem has too many Smash characters, so the franchise is bad. How can you like Fire Emblem?"
Whether or not you like the amount of FE reps, I think it's pretty dumb to base the actual series' quality based off of overrepresentation in a different game. FE is really great, but it's forever going to be hurt by this dumb circumstance.

Xehanort1372019

Smash Journeyman
Going to bed, and I might keep an eye on Vergeben in the morning...he might revel the ARMS character on the last minute, like last time.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I hope everyone has a good sleep tonight until the presentation tomorrow. Hopefully the nerves won't get the best of people. I really don't feel like Geno's Mii costume is coming back, but no matter what happens, like I always say, I'm with you all until the end of the line. Keep the faith Genobros.

(P.S.: I think Min Min is the fighter, with the possibility of Spring Man since that seems like a Nintendo pick.)

(I also really hope for a premium Hollow Knight Mii costume because the game is great and getting music from the game in Smash would make me a happy fella.)

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
God, it better not be just Spring Man.

If they confirmed it was Spring Man back in March/April that'd be one thing, but if they strung us along with this "WHO COULD IT BEEEEEEE" for 3 months just to pick the character literally anyone would tell you it would be if ARMS got into Smash, then this'll be the first time in ages I'd be genuinely angry at a character.

I have faith it'll be more than that though. Min Min gang.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hoping for Spring Man. The mystery shouldn’t discount him, it was marketing and he has a lot of fans too. And let’s not ignore April’s Party Crash I would like Min Min too, and a few others, though I really want Spring Man and you can easily reason why Nintendo did the mystery thing if it’s the mascot, but of course all of this could mean nothing.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Okey dokey, last minute predictions

--Hero-Style Alts: Spring Man as the face, followed by Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and up in the air about the last one
--The gimmick for the fighters is purely their insane reach
--The different ARMS gloves will be represented in different attacks, like Byleth's weapons and Inklings arsenal
--Spring Stadium as the stage
--Max Brass and Hedlox will be the two legendary spirits of the board
--A non-indie Mii Deluxe will appear: I'm hoping Bomberman

Now, here's the big one...

--The Mii Showcase is going to feature a big upset: Some fan requested character is going to get knocked out of the running via Mii Costume. But I do NOT think it'll be Geno, I'm confident he's safe. I'm honestly putting my bets on someone like Lloyd maybe

Griselda

Smash Lord
If it's just Spring Man, then why didn't they just say so in the first place? I don't see how that even makes sense as a marketing tactic any more than just saying 'a new fighter will be revealed on this date'.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
I think the thing that's so frustrating about FE in Smash is that now every time I mention that I love Fire Emblem, I usually get someone coming after me saying "Oh Fire Emblem has too many Smash characters, so the franchise is bad. How can you like Fire Emblem?"
Whether or not you like the amount of FE reps, I think it's pretty dumb to base the actual series' quality based off of overrepresentation in a different game. FE is really great, but it's forever going to be hurt by this dumb circumstance.
I played FE after Corrin got revealed and FETH after Byleth. Even so, both characters really shouldn´t be in Smash. The series was well represented without them, have little to no personality and don´t have ICON status. They´re pure advertisement for their games.
That being said, judging a series because of a mishandling of the corporation in another game IS dumb.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If it's just Spring Man, then why didn't they just say so in the first place? I don't see how that even makes sense as a marketing tactic any more than just saying 'a new fighter will be revealed on this date'.
It could be seen as drumming up hype for ARMS, since they hard pushed it afterwards with a free trial and another Party Crash between Spring Man and Ribbon Girl. It grabs people’s attention, enticing people to play and hopefully enjoy the game enough to buy it while getting to know the characters for Smash I guess.

And, if the ARMS in Smash full reveal really was delayed, this could be their way of at least showing something while still pushing the game early. Admittedly though I also think it’s kinda stupid because they’re bound to bother some of the characters’ fans, but honestly I’m not sure how else they could’ve done it aside from forcing themselves to wait and market it later (there is a benefit to doing it earlier, as they get more than one burst of hype). Spring Man was still shown to be on the table and he has a lot of fans, so they likely wouldn’t care he’s seen as the “obvious boring mascot” choice by some people (which seems to be the minority) and would still do it even if he’s the character. I mean if he’s so “obvious” why are other characters possible and being pushed as likely with some Spring Man fans being unsure?

You could also ask why they would do this if it’s any other character. Why not just show who it is? Why get fans’ hopes up for one or the other? Why not wait until later? Why this if it’s just one of the most-popular and obvious characters who are already represented in Smash? Because marketing.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Honestly it's a brilliantly insidious marketing campaign. Nintendo obviously wanted ARMS to be their next start-up franchise like Splatoon but the vast majority slept on it in favor of waiting for Splatoon 2. ARMS barely misses the boat for base roster, and suddenly once Pass 2 rolls around they get an idea

1. Give ARMS a redemption slot on the roster
2. Make the newcomer a mystery
3. Make a free trial for a little while
4. People have been talking about ARMS more in these past three months then they did during the games entire initial lifespan
5. ARMS is now glued into the collective Nintendo fanbase psyche as this damn mystery has held us for so long

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I know the feeling

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Even so, both characters really shouldn´t be in Smash
I think they have all the right in the world to be in smash. Id imagine you wouldnt be saying this if Geno got in only to be an advertismant for a game. In fact, Im going to say it, every FE character has the right to be in smash whether you like it or not

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think they have all the right in the world to be in smash. Id imagine you wouldnt be saying this if Geno got in only to be an advertismant for a game. In fact, Im going to say it, every FE character has the right to be in smash whether you like it or not
Well, your right every FE character does have the right to be in Smash, but Sakurai himself said that there are too many so no not at this time. At least Geno is a character people have asked for years. It would be better for shills picks being an advertisement/popular pick like Paper Mario would.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
every FE character has the right to be in smash whether you like it or not
Pretty much every Nintendo character does...

The point is, people don't wanna see others act like smug a******* if their character gets chosen. Which, not all, but A LOT of Fire Emblem fans acted like when Byleth was added.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Pretty much every Nintendo character does...

The point is, people don't wanna see others act like smug a******* if their character gets chosen. Which, not all, but A LOT of Fire Emblem fans acted like when Byleth was added.
Not defending it, but pretty much every characters fanbase acted like that. Which character didn't cause smugness.

I'm willing to bet if the ARMS character tomorrow will cause a lot of smugness no matter who it is.

cool6012

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cool6012
3DS FC
5455-9651-7560
I'm 99% certain those FE fans were only smug because of the extreme amount of hate Byleth got/still gets.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't know what to expect from the ARMS character. I would prefer at least one of (or in the event of another Hero character, some combination of) the currently Spirit-ed characters (Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min, or Twintelle), but I don't know if I'd bet anything on them. For all we know, we could instead end up getting some weird choice that would just confuse and upset a lot of people like Piranha Plant did, like Biff or a new character meant to be the ARMS 2 protagonist. And that's without even getting into the Mii Fighter costume wave and what that could bring (obviously keeping my fingers crossed for a certain blue puppet and old man to pull through)...

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Me trying to sleep knowing full well that some potentially huge stuff may happen in the realm of Smash speculation when I wake up

icantsleep.png

no but seriosly i can't sleep send help

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
i doubt that we will see both mallow and the cacodemon costumes but it's possible we could only get the cacodemon
if that's the case, the leak would probably be real and geno is going to be be without any doubt the fighter 77 but the doomslayer would probably be deconfirmed....

if the cacodemon is not present this afternoon, we will have to seriously question ourselves about the legitimacy of the leak
I don't think so. Until we see the Square/Geno pack CacoMallow lives on.

QQS

Smash Lord
5 hours and 30 left, omg, this will be solid proof when a spirit or an assist gets upgraded to a Full Fighter.

Go go Geno!

OffBi

Smash Ace
Here's also my last minute predictions
I'm betting on a either Min Min solo or Hero situation, but there's also a possibility of it being just SpringMan
I think that the stage is gonna be the SpringRing, but maybe it has a gimmick where it changes into other stages.
Mii costumes are probably Max Brass, Biff, Cadence with a song, maybe somehow a Heihachi mii costume?
What i can say for 100% is that spirits will no longer deconfirm

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Here's also my last minute predictions
I'm betting on a either Min Min solo or Hero situation, but there's also a possibility of it being just SpringMan
I think that the stage is gonna be the SpringRing, but maybe it has a gimmick where it changes into other stages.
Mii costumes are probably Max Brass, Biff, Cadence with a song, maybe somehow a Heihachi mii costume?
What i can say for 100% is that spirits will no longer deconfirm
Same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom