• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I mean... sure, it's possible Paper Mario could get in before Geno. It's in the realm of possibility.

It's also possible Sakurai could go back on his statement on video game characters only and add Goku. Likely? No. But possible? Yes, it is in the realm of possibility.

Just because something is possible doesn't mean it will happen. I'd expect the Geno fanbase of any supporters to know this better than anyone.
I know, and I'm not saying it *will* happen, it's just the paranoia giving me that doubt that it *could* happen because Nintendo has been a big bag of wangs post-E3 2019. Like I said in my last post, I thoroughly do believe Geno's still coming.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I though that you were talking about Rayman, lol. I'm very stupid sometimes.
Nah meng, this is the Hee-noh thread, though going back to SpiritofRuin's post, I can see where the confusion happened. Just to be clear, that entire post you said "wait what?" to was about the blue doll, not Rayman.

That said, for anyone who cares, 100% indifferent towards Rayman and Crash. I think I've played like 1 Rayman game on the GBA and 0 Crash games. Hope everyone here who wants them gets them, but I really don't care about them myself.

It's been more than his Discord; this topic got a revival since the day tOK was revealed. That said, since Byleth and now ARMS, people are understandably worried that Nintendo just wants to start pushing more shill/ad picks. It's not just fearmongering when it could actually happen. I'm still confident in Geno's chances, but if I see a flat Mario anywhere near Smash, I'm packing it up.
I thought we were discussing Rayman as well lol. The first part of my one post was regarding Rayman and the second Paper Mario/Geno. That's why I brought up the Japan thing. But Polarthief is right that that's not necessarily a death sentence which is something I acknowledged. I just can't see Rayman happening between his lack of popularity in Japan and the Ubisoft Mii costumes.

But enough about Rayman. Geno is the boy I want most!

zriL

Smash Journeyman
For reminder, out of 26 mii costumes in smash 4, 16 came back as mii costumes in Ultimate, 4 were promoted in base game (2 echoes), 6 are missing. So returning as a mii costumes is still the most likely outcome for an old mii costume.

In that sense, I'm not surprised papagenos think it's more likely too.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
For reminder, out of 26 mii costumes in smash 4, 16 came back as mii costumes in Ultimate, 4 were promoted in base game (2 echoes), 6 are missing. So returning as a mii costumes is still the most likely outcome for an old mii costume.

Is this how probability works now?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Well Mario does way better than either of those, so I still don't see why Origami King needs to be promoted. Again, outside a Spirit event that'll probably happen.

Remind me how this is any different than people claiming King Boo is coming to promote Luigi's Mansion 3?
It's different because there's less evidence for Paper Mario than there is for King Boo. As far as the reason people are acting like Paper Mario is a serious threat anyway? Most likely because they think he'd come with a sticker star/ color splash moveset which would be super dissapointing and after years and even decades of supporting Geno they've become extremely pessimistic.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

... You’ve never actually taken a statistics class have you?

TriggerX

Smash Ace
... You’ve never actually taken a statistics class have you?
Idk I think what he/ she is basically trying to say with those numbers is that there is a ~60% chance of a mii costume coming back as a mii costume. 16/26. So they would be correct in that sense that you’re more than likely to get a mii costume to return.
Edit:
Lol had that backwards it wouldn’t be in his favor, but 40% ain’t bad at all. And it’s pretty much a coin toss he gets upgraded

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

Only 6 3rd party Mii Fighter costumes and a hat remain, and 2 of those costumes, Geno and Lloyd Irving, are prime candidates for being upgraded into fully playable characters. I wouldn't be too keen on counting them out given we went an entire Fighter Pass with no sign of them

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
and 2 of those costumes, Geno and Lloyd Irving, are prime candidates for being upgraded into fully playable characters.
Geno and either Lloyd or Heihachi, not just Lloyd. Could be both Lloyd and Heihachi, but I seriously doubt any company but Nintendo would get a double-up... that said though, Namco's been helping a ton with Sm4sh and Ultimate, so if anyone deserved it, it should be them!

I wouldn't be too keen on counting them out given we went an entire Fighter Pass with no sign of them
For real.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Geno and either Lloyd or Heihachi, not just Lloyd. Could be both Lloyd and Heihachi, but I seriously doubt any company but Nintendo would get a double-up... that said though, Namco's been helping a ton with Sm4sh and Ultimate, so if anyone deserved it, it should be them!

For real.
I doubt Heihachi enormously due to being part of Pacman's taunt. That, and if they really wanted a Tekken character, they would go with Jin since he's the main character since Tekken 3. That, and Tales is the much larger series for Bandai Namco on top of its major anniversary recently.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I doubt Heihachi enormously due to being part of Pacman's taunt. That, and if they really wanted a Tekken character, they would go with Jin since he's the main character since Tekken 3. That, and Tales is the much larger series for Bandai Namco on top of its major anniversary recently.
Ah yes, the good ole' argument that "this character already has a tiny, unintrusive sprite cameo in a character's taunt, which means it's completely impossible for them to become fully playable". You know, just like how Geno obviously can't be playable because he's already in the game as a Spirit... right?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I doubt Heihachi enormously due to being part of Pacman's taunt.
That means nothing. Honestly, that's even lower on the totem pole than having a spirit (I don't actually know if there is/isn't a Heihachi spirit).

That, and if they really wanted a Tekken character, they would go with Jin since he's the main character since Tekken 3. That, and Tales is the much larger series for Bandai Namco on top of its major anniversary recently.
I wasn't saying it's for sure gonna be Heihachi over Lloyd; I do think Lloyd has better chances, I was just pointing out that it's possible since his costume is also missing. I wouldn't be surprised if when one comes out, the other is costumed. I also haven't been following any other character besides Geno.

Anyway, uh, Geno's in boys, let's go.

Ah yes, the good ole' argument that "this character already has a tiny, unintrusive sprite cameo in a character's taunt, which means it's completely impossible for them to become fully playable". You know, just like how Geno obviously can't be playable because he's already in the game as a Spirit... right?
Let's also not forget that Chrom is still in Robin's final smash and victory screen, despite now being a separate playable character.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Heihachi is more important to the franchise and already had considered way beforehand. He's pretty much as close to a mascot as you can get.

...The taunt means, like, nothing. It's a tiny sprite. Let me put it this way; Spirits are more important to the game, and it's clear a lot of the consensus is that Spirits only mattered for the base game. Same thing applies here more.

That said, I don't think Bandai-Namco is only held to two characters. Mii Costumes aren't everything. You still have Dark Souls, Digimon, and Soul Calibur, all among very large and relevant franchises. Combined with Tekken and Tales of and you have 5 hefty franchises to draw from. Besides, Tekken's issue isn't a tiny cameo, it's making sure the mechanics are able to be remotely transferred over in a way Sakurai likes. But even then, Heihachi is clearly the forefront character of Tekken to begin with. It's far more likely for Nintendo to pick him over anyone else. He is the embodiment of the series. Being a villain doesn't change that factor. It's not the only franchise where a villain is vastly important or the mascot. Nightmare and Fulgore are two more core examples, especially as they became so popular they're part of the logo.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If a single static image that didn't impact gameplay was enough to disqualify a character from being playable, then you'd think that every single spirit (Geno included) would be disqualified under the same criteria. (it seems like an odd reason for saying that a character can't make it in since this couldn't possibly be mistaken for this)

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Let me put it this way; Spirits are more important to the game, and it's clear a lot of the consensus is that Spirits only mattered for the base game. Same thing applies here more.
I'm personally in the belief that spirits/costumes/etc stuff in base very likely did influence FP1, in the way that the FP1 characters were specifically not put in base as anything, and that spirit events mostly from the latter half of FP1, as well as costumes, will also influence FP2. This is also why I believe Geno's costume hasn't come yet.

Basically, anything in base is totally free game, potentially stuff from early FP1 as well (Joker/Hero's packs). Anything past that and I feel like it was too late since FP2 would have already been decided. Heihachi is definitely free reign now for FP2, but was likely not gonna be in FP1.

If a single static image that didn't impact gameplay was enough to disqualify a character from being playable, then you'd think that every single spirit (Geno included) would be disqualified under the same criteria. (it seems like an odd reason for saying that a character can't make it in since this couldn't possibly be mistaken for this)
Yeah, which means most of everyone's most wanted list, especially anyone from Nintendo, likely gets deconfirmed from that.

MattX20

Smash Hero
That, and my other major issue with Heihachi (putting aside my dislike of the character), is his moveset is too similar to Ryu and Ken's and doesn't have any unique mechanics that would help him stand apart from them. Complex button combinations are what got him cut in the first place.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
That, and my other major issue with Heihachi (putting aside my dislike of the character), is his moveset is too similar to Ryu and Ken's and doesn't have any unique mechanics that would help him stand apart from them. Complex button combinations are what got him cut in the first place.
Not really. I've never touched a Tekken game but I'm fairly certain he doesn't have a projectile (unless you count that weird beachball thing from PS All-Stars), he doesn't have a designated spin kick, and Tekken is nowhere near similar to Street Fighter As 3D vs 2D. Heck it could be argued Terry is more similar to Ryu and Fatal Fury being more similar but even then they are still pretty much non comparable. Tekken would also have unique mechanics, you just said so yourself. Button combinations would be unique and they are perfectly doable now as characters like Bayonetta and such have had things comparable since then suggesting it's perfectly doable. That combined with how you still think the sprite is reasonable to use against him despite people saying why that inevitably wouldn't be the case makes me think it's just your disliking of the character.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I find guessing probability like this to not make much sense considering we’re talking about human beings here and they could just as well promote another one of them (or even all of them if they wanted to, but of course there’s going to be different kinds of characters they want which is the only reason why this stuff doesn’t make zero sense). If they deem they can make a profit off of Geno and other characters as fighters and make people happy, and don’t have anyone else prioritized this time, they’ll likely do it if they can.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Ah, yes, so we're discussing the Heihachi vs Lloyd argument. Both of these candidates have very important things on their sides that make them pretty evenly matched in speculation:
Both are missing their Mii costumes even if they would've made sense with both Terry and Byleth. Neither have spirits, assists, or anything in Smash besides that one pointless taunt sprite for Heihachi. Lloyd has over a decade's worth of fan demand while Heihachi has actually been directly confirmed to have been considered for the roster before by Sakurai himself (This would be assuming Lloyd has never been considered, which isn't a fair argument, honestly). Heihachi is easily one of the most iconic fighting game icons of the genre, regardless of his antagonistic role, while Lloyd has maintained his image as the go-to Tales icon for ages. These two Bamco superstars are unbelievably popular in regards to their counterparts like Nightmare and Agumon.
It's hard to exactly predict who of these two would get in because, let's be real, it'd be a pretty big deal if either got in because both mean so much in regards to their respective genres. I, personally, would prefer Heihachi due to his appearance and I feel we need more fighting game originals in general but I wouldn't be too disappointed if Lloyd took his place as Bamco's second fighter.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Since this thread is on a Lloyd VS Heihachi debate, I'd like to again pose a third option: Nightmare

Soul Calibur is Namco's other big fighting game series and has been a fighting game staple for years. Nightmare is the face of the franchise to the point where Project Soul uses him as their logo, and while he would indeed be another sword user, he'd be a sword user unlike the others and could possibly bring with him a stance change mechanic

The big thing that has me on his side is the fact that the one thing Soul Calibur is known for is it's crazy crossovers; it's had the likes of Star Wars, Assassins Creed, and Spawn in its roster; and also Link himself

That's a pretty big deal and it still is a big deal since Nintendo characters appearing in other games is still very rare. You know if he had the chance, Sakurai would love to hype up a rematch between Link and Nightmare

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman

Well most of the Mii Costumes that did come back as Mii Costumes aren't exactly front-runners when it comes to fan demand to be fair. Characters like Akira, Zero, Takamaru aren't widely supported in Smash. That's not trashing them as characters, but none of them are considered most requested to be in Smash.

The Mii Costumes that were promoted as full characters are fan favorites that preformed well enough on the ballot. They weren't random, they were due to popularity. Geno as well as Lloyd have history when it comes to popularity within the Smash fanbase and because of this, they parallel characters with Costume upgrades a lot more over the other characters that stayed as costumes

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Since this thread is on a Lloyd VS Heihachi debate, I'd like to again pose a third option: Nightmare

Soul Calibur is Namco's other big fighting game series and has been a fighting game staple for years. Nightmare is the face of the franchise to the point where Project Soul uses him as their logo, and while he would indeed be another sword user, he'd be a sword user unlike the others and could possibly bring with him a stance change mechanic

The big thing that has me on his side is the fact that the one thing Soul Calibur is known for is it's crazy crossovers; it's had the likes of Star Wars, Assassins Creed, and Spawn in its roster; and also Link himself

That's a pretty big deal and it still is a big deal since Nintendo characters appearing in other games is still very rare. You know if he had the chance, Sakurai would love to hype up a rematch between Link and Nightmare
Heihachi is as interesting as Ryu or Terry, which isn't saying much at all. Lloyd is a big fan request so I wouldn't mind that much but it is a JRPG character that is a human that has a swinging weapon.

However, I would really like Nightmare. Not only does he look cool and be one of the few sword wielders I like, Soul Calibur is a sole exception in that I actually like Soul Calibur.

Polarthief

Smash Lord

Crazy idea: Heihachi, Lloyd, AND Nightmare. Namco's done a lot for Smash so they deserve a ton of extra reps. That leaves enough room for ARMS, Geno, and 1 more 3rd party. Then Waluigi surprises us as a bonus.

Note: Polarthief doesn't actually think that'll happen, he just wanted to be a dumb and say something crazy.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
A Heihachi vs Lloyd argument. I won't join, but I have a feeling a mod will tell us to get back on topic.

That said, I prefer Lloyd myself. No special reason. I am also wondering how high Geno's chances are after that PapaGenos' video came out.

MattX20

Smash Hero
To get back on topic with Geno, you think his reveal trailer will feature the Seven Stars or Star Road?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Ah, yes, so we're discussing the Heihachi vs Lloyd argument. Both of these candidates have very important things on their sides that make them pretty evenly matched in speculation:
Both are missing their Mii costumes even if they would've made sense with both Terry and Byleth.
It's implied that Lloyd's costume was supposed to have come back with Byleth? Not sure how you came to that conclusion, given that Byleth's Mii Costumes wave was another grab bag.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Idk I think what he/ she is basically trying to say with those numbers is that there is a ~60% chance of a mii costume coming back as a mii costume. 16/26. So they would be correct in that sense that you’re more than likely to get a mii costume to return.
Edit:
Lol had that backwards it wouldn’t be in his favor, but 40% ain’t bad at all. And it’s pretty much a coin toss he gets upgraded
Lemme explain with an example.

“There are two states. Being eaten by a wildebeest and not being eaten by a wildebeest. Therefore there is a 50% chance that you are being eaten by a wildebeest.”

That’s the level of statistical fallacy we’re working with here.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
It's implied that Lloyd's costume was supposed to have come back with Byleth? Not sure how you came to that conclusion, given that Byleth's Mii Costumes wave was another grab bag.
Not him but I feel it's more a general assumption based on the idea that all of the Smash 4 costumes were meant to comeback at some point. I have a feeling Byleth is the grab bag it is precisely because of costumes being moved around to characters later in the pass.

This is basically how I assume it was meant to go initially.

Joker : Morgana Hat, P4 Protag, Teddie Hat, P3 Protag, Tails, Knuckles (Sega)
Hero : Veronica, Erdrick, Martial Artist, Slime, Chocobo, Geno (Square)
Banjo : Goemon, Team Rocket, Zero, Protoman, X, EXE (Grab Bag)
Terry : Nakoruru, Ryo, Iori, Akira, Jacky, Heihachi (Fighting Games)
Byleth : Hunter, Rathalos, Lloyd, Gil, Altair, Rabbid (Medieval)

I think it's not too out there to suggest that Sans might not have been planned initially, and I'm positive Cuphead wasn't. It's not rock solid, maybe the Ubisoft costumes were added in later and swapped out for other stuff, who knows. But Heihachi coming with Terry and the Monster Hunter costumes, Lloyd, and Gil coming with Byleth feel like no brainers to the point where them not showing up is extremely suspicious.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I read a few pages of discussion on this thread and I have completely forgotten what started the whole Heihachi VS. Lloyd debate. So, to get back on topic with Geno, I would love to give my opinion on a topic I saw discussed earlier.

I have seen quite a few people in this thread fear Paper Mario getting included over Geno. I will admit, I was pretty scared myself, especially after watching PapaGenos's video earlier. But as I thought more about it, I really don't think Paper Mario is getting included. The only real thing I have seen that even slightly suggests Paper Mario could be coming is because he is getting a new game soon. While it could be something in favor of Paper Mario joining, I don't think that means he is outright inevitable and 100% getting included like some people seem to be convinced he is. Just because a game is coming out soon almost never hints at a character in Smash. And like some people have already said, Mario is big enough on its own that promoting a character from a Mario game just seems unnecessary. Any game with Mario on the cover is sure to sell like gangbusters, so Nintendo doesn't really need Smash to promote The Origami King. You also need to consider just how much representation we have of Paper Mario in Smash already. We already have a stage, music, and tons of Spirits. The only representation SMRPG has is two Spirits. Their is so much more Sakurai could pull from for a full on Fighters Pass for Geno then Paper Mario imo. On top of that, I just feel their is more evidence in favor of Geno then Paper Mario, and Geno is easily more of a fan favorite, and characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie prove that fan demand can go a long way. I guarantee we are going to be getting at least one more character that is on the same tier as Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo, that is a character thousands of people want, but never thought would actually get included, and I can't think of any character that would be perfect for that other then Geno. This is just my two cents. Don't let the new Paper Mario game demoralize you from thinking Geno has a shot, because if anything, it could be yet another thing in Geno's favor, since Nintendo will have a focus on Mario RPG's this year, and they could easily include Geno to introduce newcomers to the Mario RPG that started it all.

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
That, and my other major issue with Heihachi (putting aside my dislike of the character), is his moveset is too similar to Ryu and Ken's and doesn't have any unique mechanics that would help him stand apart from them.
That is probably the most ignorant statement towards a Smash fighter idea I've ever heard, good lord. This is somehow more offensive than anything that could ever be said about Geno.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I don't like overthinking about a characters chances. I stated a month or so ago that if there is another Square/Mario rep it's a 60% chance of it being Geno, and I still believe that.

That's not to say that I think that everyone here should also think Geno has a 60% chance to get in. If someone here thinks Geno has a 100% chance on getting in, feel free to do so. Don't overthink his chances, just believe he's 100% in; the same could be said of any other percent. Overthinking just leads to anxiety because eventually you get to the point where you start thinking "... but what if there's that 1% chance he isn't in". Don't get me wrong it's pretty hard to do but if it gets to the point where you get extremely stressed out, then it's best to take a break from speculation and just relax for a bit.

At this point all the major evidence pointing towards/against Geno has been out for at the very least like 7 months (if we count Cacomallow as the last big leak). Unless some major developments happen, you're not going to convince someone who thinks Cacomallow isn't real (like me) that it is real; likewise I'm not going to convince someone who thinks Cacomallow is real, that it's actually fake. Everyone has had over 6 months to decide which side of the metaphorical fence they're on, they're not going to budge.

On the positive side, we're likely a month away (maximum) until we get the ARMS character (and very likely 7) and we get another piece of the puzzle. What's everyone doing to hold themselves off during this time? It doesn't have to relate to SMRPG. Personally I'm playing through some of my Switch backlog currently (DQ 11S in particular, I got it at launch and couldn't get into it but now I'm pretty hooked), I'll probably end up getting Xenoblade DE next week. Outside of that, I'm looking forward to the potential HD remasters of those old Mario games. In terms of real life, I'm mainly just studying for my Spring Psych class.

Really hoping we see the ARMS character soon though because even if it's someone I did not expect, chances are it'll be one of the most unique fighters in the game mechanically. Obviously hoping we see a potential Geno reveal alongside him. Geno really isn't the highest on my MW list, but I do like him enough. Other characters I'd like to see (as long as they don't deconfirm Geno) would probably be Rayman, Crash, Neku Sakuraba (Probably my MW), Sora, Minecraft Steve, Dante, Adol Christin, Lloyd/Yuri, and Sol Badguy or Ragna. Obviously, most of these are decently unlikely and I don't expect them to get in; but I'd be really happy with any of these. Though to be fair I'd be fine with a lot of characters, and there is no one off the top of my head that would actively push me the wrong way.

Yes, that includes another Fire Emblem character and even some impossible meme pick like Goku. I'd be really happy if we got a Genealogy character in Smash, and I'm not going lie but there is a part of me that would be beaming with joy if Goku got in (as much as it would destroy the "sanctity" of Smash); though I'd be terrified that he'd open the possibility of Shrek or Naruto in Smash.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I don't remember if I've said it, but I would've liked if mii fighters could customize their final smash like the other moves. The final smash not quite 'matching' is one of the biggest obstacles to a mii not feeling 'real' in my opinion, even more than the weird proportions and iffy costume designs. I can make three mii fighters that all look pretty passable as the characters they're meant to be, but when they all use the same final smash in one match, it immediately breaks the illusion. Like, with the Geno mii in Sm4sh, the final smash could reasonably pass as a Geno Beam, but if we do end up getting Mallow, what about him? None of the options we have would really fit him, as a character. If we had something like falling lightning, or even something star-like for Geno, that would've been better.

I think that not only should there have been more options within classes, you also should've been able to select any type of final smash for any class of mii fighter. You want Goku? Make a brawler with the karate gi and give him the gunner's beam finisher, and you have a physical-focused moveset with a kamehameha final smash. It's not even as if any of the costumes' models would cause much issue. The brawler would just stick their arm out as usual, which wouldn't look odd at all, and even the swordfighter is basically just arm-flailing during their final smash if I recall, so that could pass for any sort of rapid-fire energy attack, since the sword beams barely look like 'slashes' anyway.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
I could see Paper Mario as a possible character, but (And I don't want to bring up the entire "VS" scenario PapaGenos mentioned in his video) given how Nintendo knows about the fan picks I see Geno being more likely (I probably have a bit of bias but he generally does have a bigger backing regardless)

Also sorry for not being active on here for a while, I had a lot of stuff to do this week : )

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Well most of the Mii Costumes that did come back as Mii Costumes aren't exactly front-runners when it comes to fan demand to be fair. Characters like Akira, Zero, Takamaru aren't widely supported in Smash. That's not trashing them as characters, but none of them are considered most requested to be in Smash.

The Mii Costumes that were promoted as full characters are fan favorites that preformed well enough on the ballot. They weren't random, they were due to popularity. Geno as well as Lloyd have history when it comes to popularity within the Smash fanbase and because of this, they parallel characters with Costume upgrades a lot more over the other characters that stayed as costumes
On the other hand, fan demand also seems to be their only reason for making the deluxe mii costumes. Sans and CupHead are really popular. That's why I think Lloyd, Geno and Monster Hunter could be our next deluxe costumes. At this point, I'm looking forward the June direct, not because of the Arms character, but because I want to know who's the next deluxe costume.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
On the other hand, fan demand also seems to be their only reason for making the deluxe mii costumes. Sans and CupHead are really popular. That's why I think Lloyd, Geno and Monster Hunter could be our next deluxe costumes. At this point, I'm looking forward the June direct, not because of the Arms character, but because I want to know who's the next deluxe costume.
Alright, so, I saw this but I can't help but think about how strange this post is. For starters, yes, fan demand got Sans and Cuphead in as "deluxe costumes" (I'm assuming we're just calling any costume that completely covers the mii's body and head "deluxe" now) but you need to consider the fact that their are clear principles to these costume choices.

Firstly, Sans and Cuphead are really popular in regards to gaming in general, not just Smash specifically. The same could, arguably, be applied to any of those three you mentioned, sure. However, you're forgetting the big difference between the reasons they're deluxe and K. Rool, Isabelle, Chrom, and Inkling were upgraded:

Let's make a pool here for easier comparison.

:ultchrom::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultkrool:
[All Costumes in 4; became full fighters]
|
|
[Almost all 7 have been around for years to even decades longer than Sans and Cuphead have and have leagues more fans and demands in Smash specifically due to their longevity, all have had mii costumes in Smash prior to Ultimate]
|
|
Geno, Lloyd Irving, Monster Hunter
[All costumes in Smash 4; costumes are MIA]
|
|
[All 5 of them are third party characters and aren't playable yet]
|
|
Sans, Cuphead
[Both are indie properties, never had a costume or anything to do with Smash prior to Ultimate]

See what I mean? Yes, Sans and Cuphead have some popularity but when you compare them to Geno, Lloyd, and Monster Hunter, they just don't hold a candle to how long and frequently these guys have been asked for.

On the topic of costumes, I'll openly say that in terms of longevity, Inkling just doesn't have it because they came out in 2015 alongside Sans. However, consider how their inclusion was a guarantee, regardless of popularity in Smash because their series was a huge success for a questionable console. That, however, doesn't change that this:

Smash 4 Costume's Game Release:
:ultchrom: (2012)
:ultisabelle: (2012)
:ultkrool: (1994)
:ultinkling: (2015)
:starman:Geno (1996)
Lloyd (2003)
Monster Hunter (2004)

"Deluxe" Costume's Game Release:
:nessecho:Sans (2015)
Cuphead (2017)

"Deluxe" costume candidates just don't have that same longtime popularity and request factor these other ones have. Heck, you could even argue that the rumored Knight and Kris costumes Fatman mentioned could be deluxe costumes because they fall more in line character-wise to Sans and Cuphead as indies who are pretty recent characters with no prior history with Smash before Ultimate.

That's just my cup of tea on the whole thing.

{P.S.} Lloyd wouldn't work as "deluxe" because of fans' rules on what forms a "deluxe" costume. It's any costume that fully covers a mii's body and comes with a music track, right? I wonder why no one ever mentions the fact that, technically, that's literally Black Knight's costume (covers entire Mii and could be argued to have come with "Against the Black Knight"). He'd be more akin to an Isaac costume, unless you just meant it'd be a costume that came with a music track.

{P.P.S.} I highly doubt they're going to do yet another "deluxe" gunner for the third time in a row.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

Indeed, Lloyd and Geno were very popular during the Brawl era of speculation, and both of them have quite a few parallels.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
There is no competition with Geno and Paper Mario. There is nothing either side needs to worry about.

Now, Paper Geno, on the other hand.

MattX20

Smash Hero
With only 7 days left to go for May, it's going to be a tense few weeks for speculation for the presentation/"direct"

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
His chances wouldn't remotely change because a YouTuber posts a video. He's been locked in since June last year. ;)
It’s not the video itself I meant, but what it said about Rayman and Paper Mario, and possibly the evidence along with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom