• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
No because nothing has come up in regards to Smash with Ubisoft. With the 5 third parties I'm predicting, other stuff has come up: Mii costumes, leaked Amiibo release dates, major announcements that are being heavily foreshadowed, leaked documents, etc that support them being involved in Season 2 in a major way.

Also, looking at my calendar, if Nintendo sticks with the second Tuesday of June E3 tradition for Smash, Geno could be revealed on 6/9/2020. Nice.
Nice

New PapaGenos video!
I think Playable Paper Mario with Geno deluxe costume would actually suck and I say that as a big Paper Mario fan
Playable Geno or bust

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
nintendo would be dumb as hell to include paper mario but not geno.

while paper mario has his fans and arguably deserves a spot as well, he doesn't have quite AS big a fanbase as Geno does, nor has his been around as long.

Add in how so much has supposedly aligned for geno, with so much evidence pointing towards him, and it'd be downright cruel of nintendo/sakurai to not add geno but paper mario gets in.

Not to mention paper mario hasn't been too well received in recent years thanks to the disasters known as sticker star and color splash. While this would obviously be part of "nintendo's plan" to revive interest in paper mario, this would be a bad way to do it.

If they want to drum up interest in the series, Geno could still be a way to do it. "Here's a character from the very first Mario RPG ever created, the game he was in helped set the foundation for all future mario RPG's, You might notice that timed hits are still a thing in Origami King releasing next month in July"

....The scary part is I kinda feel nintendo would do this to us. They are very tone deaf. I could easily see Doug bowser and the japanese president going "Hey, We got a new paper mario releasing, folks want a character from a mario RPG game, why not finally make Paper mario playable to promote the new game? We'll also upgrade the normal Geno Costume to have a helmet/mask that looks like the character, the fans will love it! "

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Paper Mario does happen, I imagine he would fall more in line with a bonus character choice

Griselda

Smash Lord
If Paper Mario does happen, I imagine he would fall more in line with a bonus character choice
I agree with this if we're assuming bonuses come with nothing but themselves and maybe music, mostly because there's nobody else who's really more perfect for it, in my opinion - because it'd just be finally completing the set with the Paper Mario stage and spirits already in the game. ..Whether or not he'd be based on PM64-SPM or SS-TOK would definitely be a question, considering the stage leans heavily to the new era, but whether he's the old or new Paper Mario you have to admit that he seems like a missing piece of the puzzle.

For Geno, it'd be different, since there aren't any stages in the game that I feel could really represent him/SMRPG well, so I'd very much prefer if he came with everything. But for Paper Mario, he's kinda already got it.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Just waiting for June ... need to know the ARMS rep so we will know what Nintendo is doing/planning.

Last edited:

herpderp06

Smash Rookie
Idk if this has been put in the thread yet, but right now the twitter account Demo4Smash is making a smash poll with over 20k votes already. Geno is currently 7th in the polls. If you haven't voted yet go over for a second and vote for Geno. We have to show the smash community we aren't just some meme pick. Here's the link to his twitter. The poll is posted on his pinned tweet. ( https://twitter.com/Demo4Smash ) pls vote for geno tysm :p

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
New PapaGenos video!
Whether I would be excited for Paper Mario as a character depends on what they decide to pull from. If most of it is from the newest three games, I'll be pretty miffed and won't get too excited. Regardless, I like Paper Mario himself so I would still be happy.

But like the Papa himself said, even though Paper Mario has been requested for a long time, people tend to think Smash whenever something new gets announced alongside it. I honestly don't think Paper Mario will get in.

Also, I will be ecstatic if we got Crash OR Rayman but I would be excited for Rayman a little more and right now, I see more concrete evidence for him.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
New PapaGenos video!
Paper Mario playable and Deluxe Mii Geno huh?

I mean, I genuinely enjoy Sans and Cuphead so...I'd ultimately be okay with that? But I know the fallout from that would be catastrophic if Geno got snubbed for Paper Mario

D

Deleted member

Nice

I think Playable Paper Mario with Geno deluxe costume would actually suck and I say that as a big Paper Mario fan
Playable Geno or bust
This. Geno has a much bigger fanbase than Paper Mario over the years especially Ultimate and Brawl. I rather not have another Mario like having 3 links then getting Wind Waker Zelda or Zelda from BoTW2. Unfortunately, Paper Mario is a requested pick and can be promotional material that Nintendo can see that. I am confident we will get at least one more character Banjo and K. Rool tier and I think it would be Geno. I have faith especially in Mii Costume guy. I wonder if he has heard anything new.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
No because nothing has come up in regards to Smash with Ubisoft. With the 5 third parties I'm predicting, other stuff has come up: Mii costumes, leaked Amiibo release dates, major announcements that are being heavily foreshadowed, leaked documents, etc that support them being involved in Season 2 in a major way.

Also, looking at my calendar, if Nintendo sticks with the second Tuesday of June E3 tradition for Smash, Geno could be revealed on 6/9/2020. Nice.
Loving the writeups you've done with the various third party companies, and you've brought up a lot of points that people don't often consider when speculating.

Out of curiosity, what are your current thoughts on Bethesda? I'd love to see a same-style analysis for them! Especially since they, like Microsoft, are helping bring Western RPGs and FPS games into the fold of Nintendo.

Namco has published the Dark Souls remaster, the Dragonball games, and Tales of Vesperia. Most of the games they've skipped out on porting are again too technically demanding for the Switch. I doubt we're getting Tekken 7 or Tales of Arise due to that reason.
Don't forget Katamari! While Reroll did get a PC port, all of the marketing was focused on the Switch version. Feels like Namco might be giving Katamari a new home in Nintendo, and the game itself did very very well. Remember that the PS4 did not get this game, when the original was on PS2.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Idk if this has been put in the thread yet, but right now the twitter account Demo4Smash is making a smash poll with over 20k votes already. Geno is currently 7th in the polls. If you haven't voted yet go over for a second and vote for Geno. We have to show the smash community we aren't just some meme pick. Here's the link to his twitter. The poll is posted on his pinned tweet. ( https://twitter.com/Demo4Smash ) pls vote for geno tysm :p
I voted for that poll around when it first began but i really dont like the way the creator is handling it. When you do a poll and you announce the results, that should be the end of voting, obviously, but this person is doing it differently so that he announced the results ages ago but voting is still up. Which creates a problem because now specific fanbases are only focusing on beating out certain other characters.

Also Geno was originally 3rd when the results were first announced so thats what ill be sticking with

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
New PapaGenos video!
It's honestly demoralizing to see him be okay and settle for a deluxe costume for Geno.

Regarding the poll people are talking about, yeah it's fun to keep track and all, but it's not like they're gonna add/remove Geno from Smash based on the results anyway. I did vote for him, but yeah, it's just a for fun thing at this point.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I'm not looking forward to scalpers trying to get their hands on Geno amiibos
To be honest... None of the Smash ultimate amiibos truly felt too much out of stock imo.

And well , we have to remember that we don't even have a Joker amiibo. If Geno get in Smash , his amiibo will come quite after.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
And well , we have to remember that we don't even have a Joker amiibo. If Geno get in Smash , his amiibo will come quite after.
I do hope they eventually get on that. Haven't been keeping up with Amiibo waves (because I generally don't buy them), but have we gotten every base character + Plant so far? I was thinking the June 12th restock could potentially come with Joker, but it's probably too soon at this point with no announcement. Maybe the September restock?

MattX20

Smash Hero
I do hope they eventually get on that. Haven't been keeping up with Amiibo waves (because I generally don't buy them), but have we gotten every base character + Plant so far? I was thinking the June 12th restock could potentially come with Joker, but it's probably too soon at this point with no announcement. Maybe the September restock?
Cloud's amiibo is getting restocked in September, which is why we're speculating a Square owned character will be FP7

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Yeah, we've got everyone. All that's left are the DLC fighters.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Cloud's amiibo is getting restocked in September, which is why we're speculating a Square owned character will be FP7
Yeah but I was talking about Joker-Byleth getting Amiibo. I was thinking maybe, juuuuuust maybe we could get surprised with those restocks coming with a brand new Amiibo coming out, namely, Joker-Byleth.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Whether I would be excited for Paper Mario as a character depends on what they decide to pull from. If most of it is from the newest three games, I'll be pretty miffed and won't get too excited. Regardless, I like Paper Mario himself so I would still be happy.

But like the Papa himself said, even though Paper Mario has been requested for a long time, people tend to think Smash whenever something new gets announced alongside it. I honestly don't think Paper Mario will get in.

Also, I will be ecstatic if we got Crash OR Rayman but I would be excited for Rayman a little more and right now, I see more concrete evidence for him.
Wait, what’s the evidence for Rayman, again, if I may ask?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
PapaGenos went over it in his newest vid, something about a trademark or something that was similar to BK? Idk, I watched it like right when I was waking up.

I'm very weird on Rayman because of Altair/Rabbid being Mii costumes already. Seems odd to throw Rayman out there *now* when they could have held off on them for his pack and replaced them with something else for Byleth, y'know?

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I believe they do some degree of separate announcements with new character amiibo releases, either as a quick reveal during Sakurai's presentation or a video that Gameexplain then shows. I don't think they just pop up in stores unannounced.

Granted, Cloud/Corrin/Bayonetta's amiibos were released a year and a half after the characters were first playable, so who knows how long it could take them with these DLC ones. IF Farman is correct and there's a Smash only mini-Direct-like presentation, I bet that is when the new amiibos will be revealed.

Those Banjo amiibos are going to be gone in 60 seconds.

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
It's moreso Ubisoft acting strange with Smash stuff like removing a question about Smash is one of their surveys, a bot's response being altered so that it doesn't say "Here's hoping Rayman is part of Fighter Pass 2" or anything about Smash, and a trademark renewal showing a deal has been struck regarding the Rayman ip between Ubisoft and a thrid party company that is quite similar to Banjo's.

MattX20

Smash Hero
We'll have to keep our eyes open for any other license renewals for certain characters or games to see if there might be any hints

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I believe they do some degree of separate announcements with new character amiibo releases, either as a quick reveal during Sakurai's presentation or a video that Gameexplain then shows. I don't think they just pop up in stores unannounced.
That's what I was saying: It'd be cool if we get an announcement for Joker in Sakurai's video on the ARMS rep like on the 9th or something or w/e's happening there.

Those Banjo amiibos are going to be gone in 60 seconds.
Banjo, Geno, and KKR are the only 3 I really give a crap about enough to buy, and I already got one of them pre-ordered and locked in =)

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
We'll have to keep our eyes open for any other license renewals for certain characters or games to see if there might be any hints
Wait, has Geno gotten a license renewal in the past? Not that it may matter, but I’m just wondering.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Omg guys, this is like a melt-steel-beams theory, but if Joker's Amiibo (#1) comes with the ARMS rep (#6), it would make sense that Hero's Amiibo (#2) would come with DLC #7, and with how SE has been with keeping their content separate from all the peasant companies, that would mean it's very likely the SE rep would be next, right?

Again, insanely out there theory, who knows if we'll even be getting Joker's Amiibo with DLC #6, but just something to think about.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Wait, has Geno gotten a license renewal in the past? Not that it may matter, but I’m just wondering.
Not that I know of as of yet, but these trademark renewals are worth looking out for just in case
TBH it might be good to look at a few years within Superstar Saga's release (the original on GBA), his costume reveal in Sm4sh, and any time around Ultimate since those are all his appearances ever.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not that I know of as of yet, but these trademark renewals are worth looking out for just in case
Ah, I see.

It's moreso Ubisoft acting strange with Smash stuff like removing a question about Smash is one of their surveys, a bot's response being altered so that it doesn't say "Here's hoping Rayman is part of Fighter Pass 2" or anything about Smash, and a trademark renewal showing a deal has been struck regarding the Rayman ip between Ubisoft and a thrid party company that is quite similar to Banjo's.
How long ago were the survey and bot things?

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
How long ago were the survey and bot things?[/QUOTE] These were earlier this year, so it's all relatively recent.

Edit: Well I sure ****ed up this response lol.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
After watching PapaGeno's latest video, I have to say that Paper Mario would be one of the most underwhelming characters they could possibly include. I would love to see Paper Mario in Smash, but as DLC? Hell no. Yes, Paper Mario would have a unique moveset, but its still another Mario and it would be a bit disappointing to pay for yet another Mario. That is why I don't entertain the idea of BOTW 2 Zelda getting included, because would people really want to pay for another Zelda? To top that off, I have little faith in Nintendo at making Paper Mario's moveset justice since it seems like they don't give two s****s about the older Paper Mario games, and I guarantee that Nintendo would want his moveset to be more focused on paper then it is on the RPG gimmicks and partners. I would want Paper Mario, but ONLY IF his moveset was primarily based on the older games. If his moveset ends up being based on the newer games, then this would be the first Smash character I would genuinely be angry with, especially with how much is in Geno's favor AND how much we all have been waiting for him. At this point, it would be a huge slap to the face for anyone who has wanted Geno for all this time.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm fairly certain they're well aware of Geno's demand. Given that we got King K Rool, Ridley, and Banjo and Kazooie, I doubt Geno slipped past their radar.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
After watching PapaGeno's latest video, I have to say that Paper Mario would be one of the most underwhelming characters they could possibly include. I would love to see Paper Mario in Smash, but as DLC? Hell no. Yes, Paper Mario would have a unique moveset, but its still another Mario and it would be a bit disappointing to pay for yet another Mario. That is why I don't entertain the idea of BOTW 2 Zelda getting included, because would people really want to pay for another Zelda? To top that off, I have little faith in Nintendo at making Paper Mario's moveset justice since it seems like they don't give two s****s about the older Paper Mario games, and I guarantee that Nintendo would want his moveset to be more focused on paper then it is on the RPG gimmicks and partners. I would want Paper Mario, but ONLY IF his moveset was primarily based on the older games. If his moveset ends up being based on the newer games, then this would be the first Smash character I would genuinely be angry with, especially with how much is in Geno's favor AND how much we all have been waiting for him. At this point, it would be a huge slap to the face for anyone who has wanted Geno for all this time.
I actually made a moveset for Paper Mario and... When researching Color Splash and Sticker Star stuff , I realized that making a character focused around "haha funny paper" and expendable items would be god awful to balance. It's not a problem to have paper funny abilities , like the spring jump , or one of the pixl from Super , tho.
But for real , the only thing everyone kept telling me to change in some way was my down-b : The cards. And I recieved so many different answers about it... And it was pretty hard to find a right way to balance it without making it overpowered or weak as hell.
Of course , I'm no game designer , but a character that would have to depend on every attack being based on ressources would be a nightmare to balance... And just not fun to play as. It's fun with Banjo because it's a single move , and it's basically the trump card that make the character.
Tbh , I would see Sakurai do something on the more generic side , focusing more on his hammer , simple stuff like ground pound and hammer spin , and maybe his origami arms... But I would find it a bit boring ; Paper Mario's moveset potential is insane.

Also , Botw Zelda is in an even worse spot... Because seriously , I think LoZ fans are getting tired of the Links , so if our only fully new LoZ fighter in 18 years is another Zelda , i'm gonna lose it lol. Especially after seeing Midna , Ghirahim , Ravio , ect... Get shafted.

I don't really want to down play Paper Mario , because I truly love the guy , but god did he become such a controversial character.

In the end , while ARMS is a kind of promotionnal pick , we don't know what is the direction for the next DLCs. I'm still on the mindset that they chosed one or two characters that will break the internet , and Geno fit that bill.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I actually made a moveset for Paper Mario and... When researching Color Splash and Sticker Star stuff , I realized that making a character focused around "haha funny paper" and expendable items would be god awful to balance. It's not a problem to have paper funny abilities , like the spring jump , or one of the pixl from Super , tho.
But for real , the only thing everyone kept telling me to change in some way was my down-b : The cards. And I recieved so many different answers about it... And it was pretty hard to find a right way to balance it without making it overpowered or weak as hell.
Of course , I'm no game designer , but a character that would have to depend on every attack being based on ressources would be a nightmare to balance... And just not fun to play as. It's fun with Banjo because it's a single move , and it's basically the trump card that make the character.
Tbh , I would see Sakurai do something on the more generic side , focusing more on his hammer , simple stuff like ground pound and hammer spin , and maybe his origami arms... But I would find it a bit boring ; Paper Mario's moveset potential is insane.

Also , Botw Zelda is in an even worse spot... Because seriously , I think LoZ fans are getting tired of the Links , so if our only fully new LoZ fighter in 18 years is another Zelda , i'm gonna lose it lol. Especially after seeing Midna , Ghirahim , Ravio , ect... Get shafted.

I don't really want to down play Paper Mario , because I truly love the guy , but god did he become such a controversial character.

In the end , while ARMS is a kind of promotionnal pick , we don't know what is the direction for the next DLCs. I'm still on the mindset that they chosed one or two characters that will break the internet , and Geno fit that bill.
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I would love if Paper Mario used moves from the older games, but if he primarily used moves from Color Splash and Sticker Star, then that would be disappointing, especially when Geno is such a highly requested character.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I don’t know if it’s because I woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something - but that latest papaGenos video has sowed a serious seed of doubt in me about Geno getting in.

I can certainly see Nintendo choosing Paper Mario over Geno (and who can blame them?). Also, the fact that Paper Mario OK is coming out in July and that may be close to the reveal/announcement of fighter #7 is making me a bit nervous. Unfortunately, I think Paper Mario as a smash character has a lot of momentum right now.

Obviously I want Geno more than any other character, but I can’t help but feel a bit nervous today for his chances.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
I'm fairly certain they're well aware of Geno's demand. Given that we got King K Rool, Ridley, and Banjo and Kazooie, I doubt Geno slipped past their radar.
nintendo has responded to Operation Starfall with the letter we discussed a few days ago in which he says things like "It's very clear, you want to see Geno in Super Smash Bros Ultimate" and there is also the Nintendo Of America ambassador who said that nintendo knows what orders Geno or Waluigi are, sakurai said he wants Geno for 2 things
-For how unique and interesting it is and the moveset it could have
-By your popular demand
Sakurai made Ridley a brawl boss and a hazard on stage
-K rool was a mii in Smash 4
-Sakurai talked about banjo on melee but said he didn't get in due to legal or financial issues with Rare
It is obvious that sakurai and nintendo know how requested it is

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't disagree on those two but they were different in a few ways. Sonic and Megaman were pretty much #1 and #2 for most requested third party characters ever and, like you said, had already committed to the footwork by the time they were added. This "footwork" was also in closer proximity to their addition to Smash, Sonic getting a lot of exclusives on the GBA and Wii and Megaman technically on the GBA and DS. Since these two, we've mostly had characters that have lacked a lot of recent exclusives, even with very iconic characters like Simon. This is why I think most of the third party characters additions have been strategic, either to build a stronger bond with certain companies or wrangle certain series to Nintendo's side.
I think you may be oversimplifying it. There's a lot that goes into the character choices. Strengthening relationships may be one thing they look at, but it's not the only thing. That alone doesn't disqualify any character. And I would argue that if being too close is a problem, then a Bamco rep is in more trouble than Rayman because they're so close that they're actually involved in making the game.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
So I know there are times when there is quite a bit of talk about GameXplain and how much they actually are connected to Nintendo and have insider or whatnot.

...well take a lookie at this. GameXplain got a Nintendo Treehouse member on for a collaboration!
20200523_110520.jpg

https://youtu.be/-B__AIqlhl4

(Now this doesn't necessarily have to mean anything, but I know people such as Fatmanonice Fatmanonice could probably use this in future discussions regarding GameXplain and their Nintendo connections.)

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Also, another reason why I am seriously hoping for Geno, especially this year, is because this year has been absolute trash for me. This was supposed to be my last year of high school and because of this quarantine, my school has been shut down for the rest of the year. I don't get a proper graduation or any of that. Because of that, I have been just down in the dumps recently and if Geno gets revealed for Smash, it would instantly make what is otherwise an absolute terrible year better. So, heres hoping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom