• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I still say it's a little unreasonable to expect 3 whole characters in June. I'm sitting in the boat that they might have originally planned to do that, but with everything getting pushed around, them working from home, and the lack of an E3 direct I don't see it. Even a hypothetical Smash Direct is suspect compared to the livestream type thing everyone else got. It's already confirmed they aren't adding in any new modes, just characters. I don't see them doing something like "Ok Heres the ARMS character!" and then at the end they go "Ok, Heres Fighter 7!" AND THEN go "Here's fighter 8 too lol!" 7 will most likely be there but I anticipate 8 being pushed back to a hypothetical August/September direct.
I decided to go back and watch the past Smash presentations and 3 reveals wouldn't be too unusual for a Smash Direct. The massive info dump of E3 2018 was about 25 minutes, and the August 2018 presentation with 5 character reveals was about 27. For Smash 4, the E3 2015 Smash presentation is a little less than 20 minutes and the December 2015 presentation is a little more than 30. It can definitely be done, especially in the light that 6 has technically been revealed.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I wonder what the chances are of Metroid Prime 4 coming out this year. They said they started over development, but maybe retro was able to salvage more than we thought. That Paper Mario teaser wasn't exactly subtle. I'd be more skeptical if we weren't also talking about Breath of the Wild 2 this year.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I wonder what the chances are of Metroid Prime 4 coming out this year. They said they started over development, but maybe retro was able to salvage more than we thought. That Paper Mario teaser wasn't exactly subtle. I'd be more skeptical if we weren't also talking about Breath of the Wild 2 this year.
I would be genuinely surprised if we saw anything of Metroid Prime 4 this year. As far back as October, all I've heard is that development isn't going well and it's mostly been an ongoing effort to keep the project from becoming a circus tent fire. I believe this gives credence to the 2D Metroid rumors because it and possibly the vaporware Prime Trilogy were planned to be buffers before Prime 4's release. Ever been at a party and you basically have to watch and take care of a really drunk friend for several hours because if you don't they're probably going to start projectile vomiting or do something stupid like piss in a closet or try to get naked? Supposedly that's how Prime 4's development is going.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I don't expect prime to come out before breath of the wild 2, wild 2 is able to reuse a bunch of assets from 1, and has no known development isues, while prime has to be made from the ground up, the only other hd assests for metroid would be nintiendoland, and the game's development had to be restarted,

MattX20

Smash Hero
I decided to go back and watch the past Smash presentations and 3 reveals wouldn't be too unusual for a Smash Direct. The massive info dump of E3 2018 was about 25 minutes, and the August 2018 presentation with 5 character reveals was about 27. For Smash 4, the E3 2015 Smash presentation is a little less than 20 minutes and the December 2015 presentation is a little more than 30. It can definitely be done, especially in the light that 6 has technically been revealed.
That would be nice. At bare minimum, we should get two fighter reveals

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I suspect it will be ARMS full reveal and maybe a trailer for number 7. If they just show ARMs, people may burn down Nintendo's page.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Especially if its just Spring Man given "Guess who it is!?" for over two months just to go with the obvious this whole time.
I doubt it would be him though. Why go through this guessing game if it was going to be the most obvious? Frankly, with his AT, it's hard to think it's him when Min-Min has more going on in her favor

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I doubt it would be him though. Why go through this guessing game if it was going to be the most obvious? Frankly, with his AT, it's hard to think it's him when Min-Min has more going on in her favor
Protagonist/Mascot first tho.

Also they might had not revealed him right away due to COVID-19 interfering with work. Plus remember everyone threw off box theory only for that to come true.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Protagonist/Mascot first tho.

Also they might had not revealed him right away due to COVID-19 interfering with work. Plus remember everyone threw off box theory only for that to come true.
Even then, you could make the same argument for Ribbon Girl, but both fall apart due to both having Mii costumes. We've never had AT or Costume upgrades occur within the same game they were introduced in. Spirits though are a different story if they were in the base game, and the fact MinMin was a personal favorite of the producer gives her more leeway. I can see her and Geno getting revealed together due to their fan favorite status

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Even then, you could make the same argument for Ribbon Girl, but both fall apart due to both having Mii costumes. We've never had AT or Costume upgrades occur within the same game they were introduced in. Spirits though are a different story if they were in the base game, and the fact MinMin was a personal favorite of the producer gives her more leeway. I can see her and Geno getting revealed together due to their fan favorite status
Honestly though I'm expecting Spring Man with the Hero treatment with Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Minmin.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Except don't:ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4:all play differently as does:ultbowserjr:with the Koopalings?
It could be argued that, with the Koopalings, you're mainly playing as the Clown Copter - who's driving it is cosmetic. For Hero, the heroes in Dragon Quest games seem to consistently be well-balanced with swords and magic in my experience. (though I've only played 1, 3, 8, and 11) I don't think that any one DQ hero can use all of the spells that Hero can, but I guess it's kind of like Ness using PK Fire and PK Thunder, where they felt it would make for a better moveset.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Spring Man was a favorite of his as well.

Regarding the “no ATs” and “no costumes” pattern, pre-Ultimate we’ve only had 3DS/Wii U with one season of DLC, pre-FP6 the only new 1st-party DLC characters have been Fire Emblem, and the image used in the reveal implied Spring Man was on the table (and tbh I find “no costumes” at this point a bit strange considering they’re literally just costumes, so basegame ones would fall in line with spirits imo but idk). I don’t know why they would do the “guess who?” thing if it’s Spring Man, the mascot/protag, but maybe it’s so it’s talked about longer with some more hype in store for Spring Man fans when he’s revealed or they just didn’t think the mascot thing mattered. It’s likely just marketing stuff.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Spring Man was a favorite of his as well.

Regarding the “no ATs” and “no costumes” pattern, pre-Ultimate we’ve only had 3DS/Wii U with one season of DLC, pre-FP6 the only new 1st-party DLC characters have been Fire Emblem, and the image used in the reveal implied Spring Man was on the table (and tbh I find “no costumes” at this point a bit strange considering they’re literally just costumes, so basegame ones would fall in line with spirits imo but idk). I don’t know why they would do the “guess who?” thing if it’s Spring Man, the mascot/protag, but maybe it’s so it’s talked about longer with some more hype in store for Spring Man fans when he’s revealed or they just didn’t think the mascot thing mattered. It’s likely just marketing stuff.
Pretty much this. In Smash 4 we had a total of 7 characters, 4 of which were entirely new (no ATs, trophies, costumes) and 3 of which were upgrades of trophies (but the characters themselves were already playable in previous Smash games). In Fighter's Pass 1, the characters were planned while the game was in development; so there were no "upgrades" at all, it was just entirely all newcomers.

Now we enter Fighter's Pass 2, where the characters were decided after development. Literally everything is off the table, we could get AT upgrades, we could get spirit upgrades into newcomers, or we could still get a pass consisting entirely of completely new characters. A ton of people say that Springman isn't going to be happening because he's too "obvious" and already an AT. But having our first AT upgrade in and of itself would cause a ton of fanbases to rise from the dead, it would still be quite unexpected because of that. That's not to say we WILL get Springman or someone else like Min-Min, we could get someone entirely different like Helix or Max Brass.

People may say, if it was Springman they would have just said it right then and there. But they could have done this for literally any ARMS character too; by not revealing the character, it causes the community to speculate and speculation is just free marketing, and it also keeps the Smash fanbase busy with discussing what the potential implication of an ARMS character could be. If they came out and stated that "Max Brass is the new Smash character", I doubt this thread and others would have been as OK as they are. In fact, I'm pretty sure there would be a ton of disappointment here.

Regardless, when the ARMS character is revealed, it'll be an interesting time for sure. I can see a lot of salt from the community if it just ends up being a non-spirit/AT character, but if it is one of those a lot of fanbases will be decently excited. But what I'm more interested in are the Mii costumes that come with ARMS. Byleth (and Banjo) came with entirely separate costumes from their series, and a lot of people like to consider them 1st party, we could be seeing a lot of costumes return with ARMS.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Don't forget how they did Ridley in Smash 4.

'Here's a car shaped sheet covering the mystery prize which we won't reveal yet.'

-4 months later-

'Surprise! It was a car the whole time. Weren't you shocked?'

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
But having our first AT upgrade in and of itself would cause a ton of fanbases to rise from the dead, it would still be quite unexpected because of that.
Honestly the way I see it though is he could be an exceptional case as he and Rex were considered for Base game and the only one to be promoted.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Honestly the way I see it though is he could be an exceptional case as he and Rex were considered for Base game and the only one to be promoted.
Yeah, but would that really stop tons of fanbases from getting excited?

I know a ton of people here would be saying that Geno is pretty much guaranteed if a ARMS Spirit is promoted.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Honestly, they kinda owe the Xenoblade fanbase a character at this point. You can't tell them 'Sorry, your game came out too late to get a character' and then turn around and go 'We naturally added an FE character because they had 7 lines of their concept art made just 20 minutes ago.'

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

I know a ton of people here would be saying that Geno is pretty much guaranteed if a ARMS Spirit is promoted.
Spirits I honestly see being more likely to be promoted and Spring Man being the only exceptional case of an Assist promotion. Guess that's just me though.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Isaac and Wah would definitely get revivals. Hell, the day of that mini direct, Waluigi was trending on Twitter (alongside Min-Min, Twintelle, and Spring Man too).

I mean he's basically guaranteed either way. You'd have to be a fool to assume spirits deconfirm. ;)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I can see a lot of salt from the community if it just ends up being a non-spirit/AT character
Or having gone with the obvious this whole time being Spring Man making those over two months of speculation pointless and saying "Well why didn't they just reveal him right away then".

Though I could understand COVID-19 probably interfered with development.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I guess it depends on how Sakurai does the presentation for how many characters I'm expecting:

"Sakurai presents: Armando the Great." - Probably 2.

An honest to God Smash Direct- 3, possibly 4 if my theory about multiple bonus character is right.

People ask me a lot why I entertain the idea of bonus characters and, because I'm tired of the "I hate you and I'm going to drop a cinderblock on your cat" comments whenever I talk about it, I'll go into my reasoning:

- Back in January 2019, the game was datamined and 16 dummy slots/placeholders were found in the game's code. When Nintendo found out people found this, it was quickly yanked. In Smash 4, all 7 placeholders found in the game's code were eventually filled. Adding the Fighter's Pass and Season 2, we can account for 12 of the 16, making the argument that Nintendo at least seriously considered an additional 4 characters at some point. Will they happen? That's debatable but it's also notable that the game crashes if more slots are added beyond this. That said, 16 DLC characters has been the hard limit for almost a year and a half now.

-As you all know, I've brought up a number of characters in the past year that have come up in insider circles. A good number have also had Mii costumes attached to their companies come while there's notably four that haven't. With these four, the question is why they've even come up and if they're going to actually be anything in the end: Waluigi, Ryu Hayabusa, Sol Badguy, and Sora. It's very widely agreed that it's extremely unlikely that any of these four would wind up as Mii costumes so it begs the question why they've stuck around.

-I've mentioned it a lot and have detailed the controversial history of Waluigi going back to late 2018. When I say he's been heard by everyone, pretty much my entire contact list has heard him at some point. The big mystery is why and why he was my original prediction for 6. I still think he's coming, even if he winds up being the only extra character. I feel like he's been heard for too long and by too many high profile people to be absolutely nothing in the end.

-Conversations of "bonus characters" have coincidentally come up around the time Season 2 was greenlit last E3 and shortly after the VGAs in December, when 11 was likely successfully negotiated. This is why I'm currently leaning on my theory that there will be an extra in the first half of Season 2 and then the second, especially based on where certain info came from. It may not happen but at the same time I'm not totally discarding it without more evidence that it can't happen.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Was just listening to a banger song and thought, "dang, now THIS should be the song to go with Best Guy Ever's video when Geno's revealed".

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget how they did Ridley in Smash 4.

'Here's a car shaped sheet covering the mystery prize which we won't reveal yet.'

-4 months later-

'Surprise! It was a car the whole time. Weren't you shocked?'
Christ almighty, that was a ****show if I've ever seen one. I was mostly sure it was just a stage boss but there was that nagging feeling that something else might've been going on. But yeah, it was like lamp-shaped present that turned out to be, guess what... a lamp.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Christ almighty, that was a ****show if I've ever seen one. I was mostly sure it was just a stage boss but there was that nagging feeling that something else might've been going on. But yeah, it was like lamp-shaped present that turned out to be, guess what... a lamp.
I hate pointless secrets where nothing would have changed if it was shown now or 3 months later, except there would be more ticked off people after the wait. Like how they shadowed the big bad of DKC Tropical Freeze and then showed him later on. The opening cutscene would not have had anything different if they showed him in full then. There was literally no reason to hide his identity. In fact, people thought it was K Rool in another disguise because why hide the identity if its a brand new character?

Maybe they think being pointlessly coy is cute or something.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I hate pointless secrets where nothing would have changed if it was shown now or 3 months later, except there would be more ticked off people after the wait.
Oh I'll definitely be mega-cheesed if we get just Spring Man. I'm hoping they show him off, and then Sakurai being the memer he is, then shows off additional characters, showing the whole "it's actually X-in-1!"; the Hero/Jr situation we were speculating on. But he starts with Spring Man because obviously, and he has that chuckle knowing that we're all annoyed.

It doesn't even matter that SM would break all the fanrule limitations, it would just be annoying that the most obvious one was picked and solo at that.

More the reason that the ARMS rep will be Spring Man.

Protagonist/Mascot always comes first. Simple as that.
Ribbon Girl is just as much of a protag/mascot as he is. This could easily be both of them or a more-than-both-of-them situation (like a 4-in-1 with Ninjara and Min-Min).

Polarthief

Smash Lord
If it were that simple, he wouldn't be an AT
Except AT was added in base. ARMS rep wasn't conceived until FP2, which as we know, wasn't originally planned from the get-go.

That's what I'm expecting.

Spring Man with the Hero treatment.
Oh you've said repeatedly "Spring Man cuz mascot" so I was under the impression you meant just him. Gotcha.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If it were that simple, he wouldn't be an AT

You didn't bother reading the other comments did you?

I said before he could be an exceptional case as he along with Rex were considered for Base.

Also people points out to the waists and different dimensions or how the characters play differently.

Reminder.

:ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4: - Plays differently

:ultlarry::ultwendy::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig: - Different waists and dimensions

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
I guess it depends on how Sakurai does the presentation for how many characters I'm expecting:

"Sakurai presents: Armando the Great." - Probably 2.

An honest to God Smash Direct- 3, possibly 4 if my theory about multiple bonus character is right.

People ask me a lot why I entertain the idea of bonus characters and, because I'm tired of the "I hate you and I'm going to drop a cinderblock on your cat" comments whenever I talk about it, I'll go into my reasoning:

- Back in January 2019, the game was datamined and 16 dummy slots/placeholders were found in the game's code. When Nintendo found out people found this, it was quickly yanked. In Smash 4, all 7 placeholders found in the game's code were eventually filled. Adding the Fighter's Pass and Season 2, we can account for 12 of the 16, making the argument that Nintendo at least seriously considered an additional 4 characters at some point. Will they happen? That's debatable but it's also notable that the game crashes if more slots are added beyond this. That said, 16 DLC characters has been the hard limit for almost a year and a half now.

-As you all know, I've brought up a number of characters in the past year that have come up in insider circles. A good number have also had Mii costumes attached to their companies come while there's notably four that haven't. With these four, the question is why they've even come up and if they're going to actually be anything in the end: Waluigi, Ryu Hayabusa, Sol Badguy, and Sora. It's very widely agreed that it's extremely unlikely that any of these four would wind up as Mii costumes so it begs the question why they've stuck around.

-I've mentioned it a lot and have detailed the controversial history of Waluigi going back to late 2018. When I say he's been heard by everyone, pretty much my entire contact list has heard him at some point. The big mystery is why and why he was my original prediction for 6. I still think he's coming, even if he winds up being the only extra character. I feel like he's been heard for too long and by too many high profile people to be absolutely nothing in the end.

-Conversations of "bonus characters" have coincidentally come up around the time Season 2 was greenlit last E3 and shortly after the VGAs in December, when 11 was likely successfully negotiated. This is why I'm currently leaning on my theory that there will be an extra in the first half of Season 2 and then the second, especially based on where certain info came from. It may not happen but at the same time I'm not totally discarding it without more evidence that it can't happen.
3 things:
1- If I'm not mistaken, the characters you heard were Sol Badguy, Crash Bandicoot, Yuri Lowell, Geno, Waluigi, Lloyd Irving, Dante, Sephiroth, Ryu Hayabusa and Geralt De Rivia (Even if he was born in a book) and some miis were: Something you don't want to tell us, Arle Nadja, Travis TouchDown, The Knight, Kris, Ms Pacman, Nightmare, Kosmos and Gooigi
2- Then you think that in the end: The Pass is Min Min, Geno, Crash, Lloyd, Dante and Master Chief while Sol, Waluigi, Sora and Ryu Hayabusa are bonuses
3- How many songs would have the bonuses? when you brought Sora bonus you thought it would bring 2 songs and I think waluigi or able also doesn't bring anything, but sol y ryu?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honestly, they kinda owe the Xenoblade fanbase a character at this point. You can't tell them 'Sorry, your game came out too late to get a character' and then turn around and go 'We naturally added an FE character because they had 7 lines of their concept art made just 20 minutes ago.'
doesn't even have to be from 2. do ppl forget X exists? Came out on the Wii U in 2015? also, the first game could get something with Xeno 1 DE on the way...

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
doesn't even have to be from 2. do ppl forget X exists? Came out on the Wii U in 2015? also, the first game could get something with Xeno 1 DE on the way...
Yeah, Elma would have made a lot of sense for base game. I'd swap her with Incineroar in a heartbeat. We really didn't need a Pokemon rep in base just for the sake of having a Pokemon rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom