• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Thank you.

Super Paper Mario is honestly underrated, even nowadays after Sticker Star was released. It easily stands alongside the first two games in quality, and doesn't deserve to be lumped in with Sticker Star and Color Splash as one of the "bad" Paper Mario games.
It definitely doesn't, but it doesn't deserve to be lumped in with 64/TTYD.

64/TTYD >>>>>>>> SPM >>>>>>>>>>> SS/CS/probably tOK.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It definitely doesn't, but it doesn't deserve to be lumped in with 64/TTYD.

64/TTYD >>>>>>>> SPM >>>>>>>>>>> SS/CS/probably tOK.
Personally I thought SPM was excellent and definitely deserves to at least be close to TTYD (haven’t finished it nor 64 but I’ve at least reached the final boss in TTYD), even if it’s different, but to each their own.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Personally I thought SPM was excellent and definitely deserves to at least be close to TTYD (haven’t finished it nor 64 but I’ve at least reached the final boss in TTYD), even if it’s different, but to each their own.
I mean, my problem with it is it's a fine game (I don't personally enjoy it), but it's a bad *paper mario* game.
- No badges
- No RPG elements besides leveling
- No followers (Pixls are powers, not followers)
It's basically "a puzzle platformer with story", and I was hoping for more RPG stuff, like, y'know, what the first two games were about.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
I was actually about to make this argument. Yep. With Nintendo liquidating the Spring and E3 Directs into Twitter bombs, it looks like we borderline have confirmation that a June Smash Direct is going to happen.
but it does happen that (That everything points to yes) that he reveals himself one day in advance because today I woke up, took my phone (It was 7 in the morning here in Costa Rica) and I realize that both Nintendo Of America as Nintendo Spain had uploaded the trailer

MattX20

Smash Hero
Again, we hit 2700 pages. It's amazing how far we've come in 3 years since the thread launched

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
- More paper puns and jokes *groan*
- The same art style as SS/CS *groan*
- Badges and *actual* partners nowhere to be seen *GROOOOOOOOAN*

This is legitimately not funny. That trailer was awful. If there's no badges, Paper Mario is dead since that's what *made* the combat system, along with partners with their unique kits.

I am so thoroughly disappointed that my entire day is ruined.
Pretty much this. I don't care about the new formula at all, no matter how much they improve it.

The good news is, is that mean i have more money to spend in other games i care about or haven't purchased yet, so more free time for me.

and no, i don't care about a compromise here. Why settle for the 50% when i can get the 100% elsewhere, if you know want i mean. At least i can safely put Paper Mario off the list of franchises im a fan of. (even if the original will always have a special place in my heart)

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Seriously though, why is Nintendo so ****ing attached to the sticker star format? They've now made more sticker star games than they have original style ones. How have they not realized that literally the entire fanbase hates it? Nintendo has been listening and improving with every other series. Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Three Houses, and of course Smash Ultimate, all take what the fans have wanted for so long and actually make them. We're in a golden era of modern classics for most Nintendo franchises with new entries finally surpassing the most beloved titles. Even just the fact that Metroid Prime 4 exists proves that they're listening. Why is Paper Mario the only one still doing the same old ****? Pokemon is one thing because it's technically not Nintendo, but I'm seriously confused about this one. It's like they are absolutely determined to make sticker star work no matter how much people hate it. Literally why do they love this format so much?

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Seriously though, why is Nintendo so ****ing attached to the sticker star format? They've now made more sticker star games than they have original style ones. How have they not realized that literally the entire fanbase hates it? Nintendo has been listening and improving with every other series. Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Three Houses, and of course Smash Ultimate, all take what the fans have wanted for so long and actually make them. We're in a golden era of modern classics for most Nintendo franchises with new entries finally surpassing the most beloved titles. Even just the fact that Metroid Prime 4 exists proves that they're listening. Why is Paper Mario the only one still doing the same old ****? Pokemon is one thing because it's technically not Nintendo, but I'm seriously confused about this one. It's like they are absolutely determined to make sticker star work no matter how much people hate it. Literally why do they love this format so much?
But they only made 2. So far it's the same amount. Origami King isn't like SS. Partners are back and stickers/cards are gone.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
But they only made 2. So far it's the same amount. Origami King isn't like SS. Partners are back and stickers/cards are gone.
Partners don't appear to be back for any gameplay purposes, and most of them are just generic enemies. It looked to me like stickers were back again. Was I wrong?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Pretty much this. I don't care about the new formula at all, no matter how much they improve it.

The good news is, is that mean i have more money to spend in other games i care about or haven't purchased yet, so more free time for me.

and no, i don't care about a compromise here. Why settle for the 50% when i can get the 100% elsewhere, if you know want i mean. At least i can safely put Paper Mario off the list of franchises im a fan of. (even if the original will always have a special place in my heart)
Basically, yeah. Also someone pointed out to me that there's no FP in battles, which means we'll be once again having item-based gameplay or some really crappy gimmick. This is virtually Sticker Star 3 where battles will continue to reward you with a grand total of nothing since there's no level ups (what could you possibly upgrade without FP/BP?)

Heavy disagree man. It's my favorite and certainly better than 64 at least. It stands toe to toe with the first 2 for sure.
You can disagree all you want, you can have your own opinion, but I really, really did not enjoy it. Everyone agrees the first two games are great, and then there's this massive divisive nature to SPM. That alone should tell you something. The general opinion is first 2 > SPM > latest 2. Regardless, tOK looks like it'll be with the latest 2 group.

Origami King isn't like SS. Partners are back and stickers/cards are gone.
- No FP
- No FP also means no badges
- No FP and badges means no level ups (at least not ones that matter)
- No FP/badges means we're getting item-based gameplay, because you have to limit overpowered moves *somehow*
- Item-based gameplay means SS/CS gameplay
- SS/CS aesthetic
- SS/CS "PAPER THIS PAPER THAT AHAHAHAHA"
- Generic mooks as most NPCs, just like SS/CS
- 13,000 coins at some point, so the money also means nothing
- Partners seem to be over-world partners and don't even stick with you permanently. Most are also generic mooks, not even modified like 64/TTYD.

Remind me how this isn't SS again?

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Basically, yeah. Also someone pointed out to me that there's no FP in battles, which means we'll be once again having item-based gameplay or some really crappy gimmick. This is virtually Sticker Star 3 where items will continue to reward you with a grand total of nothing since there's no level ups (what could you possibly upgrade without FP/BP?)

You can disagree all you want, you can have your own opinion, but I really, really did not enjoy it. Everyone agrees the first two games are great, and then there's this massive divisive nature to SPM. That alone should tell you something. The general opinion is first 2 > SPM > latest 2. Regardless, tOK looks like it'll be with the latest 2 group.

- No FP
- No FP/badges means we're getting item-based gameplay, because you have to limit overpowered moves *somehow*
- SS/CS aesthetic
- SS/CS "PAPER THIS PAPER THAT AHAHAHAHA"
- Generic mooks as most NPCs, just like SS/CS
- 13,000 coins at some point, so the money also means nothing
- Partners seem to be over-world partners and don't even stick with you permanently. Most are also generic mooks, not even modified like 64/TTYD.

Remind me how this isn't SS again?
Add to the list that Mario had 50 HP in what looked like the beginning area and 150 later on, so it looks like we're getting the "items upgrade your HP" format again.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Add to the list Mario had 50 HP in what looked like the beginning area and 150 later on, so it looks like we're getting the "items upgrade your HP" format again.
I don't actually have a problem with that. It's that when that's the only collectible that I take issue with it. The HP-Up Hearts in SS would be fine as an added incentive for exploring/doing difficult puzzles (in the same way Badges were in 64/TTYD) if you still had the Star Points level-up system (and gameplay) of 64/TTYD.

I also don't get why we have to have so much HP. We started with *TEN* in the first two games, and now the low-numbers format has been thrown out the window for where double (and even triple) digits are the norm. I liked that PM was the lowest-HP/damage RPG in existence.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I can't tell you but it sure is frustrating for me especially because I've said many times I don't care about most JRPGs. The sole exceptions are anomalies like Child of Light and the Mario RPGs. So with this crap going on with Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi lying in uncertainty, I'm kind of livid.

I need to see more of the story and battle mechanics to truly know if I will get it but things are going downhill fast right now.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I can't tell you but it sure is frustrating for me especially because I've said many times I don't care about most JRPGs. The sole exceptions are anomalies like Child of Light and the Mario RPGs. So with this crap going on with Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi lying in uncertainty, I'm kind of livid.

I need to see more of the story and battle mechanics to truly know if I will get it but things are going downhill fast right now.
I've been in the same boat for awhile myself. I do like some JRPGs when they do fun stuff, but I hate how heavy-handed stories tend to be for the sake of just having a mediocre story and when the RPG elements aren't enjoyable (like SS/CS).

I've also waited since after finishing TTYD (so like 2005?) for another good Paper Mario RPG to follow it up and it looks like I have to still wait longer. A decade and a half wasn't enough time to make a proper Paper Mario 3 :(

Also I already said this but regarding the battles/gameplay:

- No FP
- Partners seem to be overworld and temporary, not for battles like 64/TTYD

I don't think we need another trailer to know this is Sticker Star 3.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Partners don't appear to be back for any gameplay purposes, and most of them are just generic enemies. It looked to me like stickers were back again. Was I wrong?
Yes on both accounts actually. Screen shots and a japanese gameplay demo showed stickers are gone and partners do seem to appear in battle. They have a button dedicated to them. And normal attacks are selectable again. The shiny shoes thing in the trailer was misleading it's just equipment or an upgrade.

Actually the general opinion of Super is positive. The hate for it is really just a minority. Whenever it's brought up you always see way more love for the game. Generally, it is still said to not be as good as TTYD but it's still well-liked. Either the reception to the changes in SS and CS made people retroactively believe it wasn't well-liked or the hate disappeared with time the game isn't really divisive.
Also there's no item based gameplay it's selectable commands again.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
friendly reminder amidst the PM talk that the heavily paper mario 1/2 inspired bug fables is announced to be coming to ps4 and switch in 2 weeks. If you love the format and are looking for something new to scratch the itch it might just be right up your alley as it definitely was for me.
1589488796029.png

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
friendly reminder amidst the PM talk that the heavily paper mario 1/2 inspired bug fables is announced to be coming to ps4 and switch in 2 weeks. If you love the format and are looking for something new to scratch the itch it might just be right up your alley as it definitely was for me.
View attachment 271750
I just looked up a trailer. Holy crap this is awesome! This is more of a paper Mario game than Origami King! Day 1 buy! Thanks for this!

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Yes on both accounts. Screen shots and a japanese gameplay demo showed stickers are gone and partners do seem to appear in battle. They have a button dedicated to them. And normal attacks are selectable again. The shiny shoes thing in the trailer was misleading it's just equipment or an upgrade.
"Stickers are gone"
EX-wDfvXkAE76WN.jpg

Also no FP so this isn't a badge.

Actually the general opinion of Super is positive. The hate for it is really just a minority. Whenever it's brought up you always see way more love for the game. Generally, it is still said to not be as good as TTYD but it's still well-liked. Either the reception to the changes in SS and CS made people retroactively believe it wasn't well-liked or the hate disappeared with time the game isn't really divisive.
Also there's no item based gameplay it's selectable commands again.
See above for the bit about items; SPM is still divisive. Yes there's plenty of people who like it and even I'll admit it's fine mostly because it's playable and not like SS/CS, but compared to 64/TTYD, it doesn't hold up. It's not an RPG and basically had its story as the main draw. There's a slew of extremely frustrating parts about it, like obnoxious platforming that makes you lose a lot of time in vertical segments, and the not-at-all Pit of 100 Trials where you waste a LOT of time just using Bowser's breath attack on the generic samurai dudes. Some of the characters were really hilarious and enjoyable, but as someone who has played it recently, it really doesn't hold up like the previous two. Again, you're more than welcome to your own opinion, but it's not nearly universally loved like the RPGs were, and the only reason its divisive nature is decreasing is because, again, SS and CS exist. When there's worse garbage, you start to look fondly on the not-as-garbage-but-not-as-good stuff too. Hell, people in WoW right now are looking back on what was *THE* worst expansion ever (Warlords of Draenor) because people absolutely hate the current one (Battle for Azeroth). Trust me when I say it's a very similar phenomenon, except WoD was basically Sticker Star whereas SPM isn't nearly as bad.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
They need to stop with Paper the Game Featuring Mario and Friends and go back to The Adventures of Mario in Paper Form.

TTYD took PM64's format and tweak it favorably. Use THAT, Nintendo.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
"Stickers are gone"
View attachment 271753
Also no FP so this isn't a badge.

See above for the bit about items; SPM is still divisive. Yes there's plenty of people who like it and even I'll admit it's fine mostly because it's playable and not like SS/CS, but compared to 64/TTYD, it doesn't hold up. It's not an RPG and basically had its story riding on everything. There's a slew of extremely frustrating parts about it, like obnoxious platforming that makes you lose a lot of time in vertical segments, and the not-at-all Pit of 100 Trials where you waste a LOT of time just using Bowser's breath attack on the generic samurai dudes. Some of the characters were really hilarious and enjoyable, but as someone who has played it recently, it really doesn't hold up like the previous two. Again, you're more than welcome to your own opinion, but it's not nearly universally loved like the RPGs were, and the only reason its divisive nature is decreasing is because, again, SS and CS exist. When there's worse garbage, you start to look fondly on the not-as-garbage-but-not-as-good stuff too. Hell, people in WoW right now are looking back on what was *THE* worst expansion ever because people absolutely hate the current one. Trust me when I say it's a very similar phenomenon.
They are gone. That bit is misleading it's not stickers it's an upgrade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3XwDV6jF6M&feature=youtu.be
In this video that actually shows the commands and handy translations, they are selectable commands again. Items are gone bro. Heck even partners are back. Why they showed it so poorly in the trailer I don't know but here we are.
Also Super isn't divisive, like I'm sorry you don't like it but most did and it's not even close.

Firox

Smash Master
Sales, baby. Always look at the sales. Sticker Star was the second best selling Paper Mario game. https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Paper_Mario At the end of the day, Tendo don't give a **** whether something is qualitatively crap. People buy it = Make more of it. That's how Nintendo thinks. It's the ONLY way they think. Heck, the only reason they keep spamming crappy motion controls is the sad hope that they can hit a home run like the Wii again. At least Sony and Microsoft have figured out that motion controls were a fad that deserves to die.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Yes on both accounts. Screen shots and a japanese gameplay demo showed stickers are gone and partners do seem to appear in battle. They have a button dedicated to them. And normal attacks are selectable again. The shiny shoes thing in the trailer was misleading it's just equipment or an upgrade.
Here's a screenshot of The Origami King's battle system, taken from that short Japanese gameplay clip on GameXplain's channel (with translated text courtesy of a Reddit user on r/NintendoSwitch)...

At the very least, it seems like they're trying for a battle system that's much more similar to the first two games than it is to Sticker Star's.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Here's a screenshot of The Origami King's battle system, taken from that short Japanese gameplay clip on GameXplain's channel (with translated text courtesy of a Reddit user on r/NintendoSwitch)...

At the very least, it seems like they're trying for a battle system that's much more similar to the first two games than it is to Sticker Star's.
Thanks. I didn't have the translated image on hand. Did they also happen to translate the starting menu? There's a button with a toad on it and a screen shot somewhere showing the partner toad in the battle screen with you so I'm wondering if they're a command now. Also important to note that the audience is back.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I just looked up a trailer. Holy crap this is awesome! This is more of a paper Mario game than Origami King! Day 1 buy! Thanks for this!
I consider it the true 3rd paper mario game. Took everything great about the first two, and then preceded to throw out every flaw I had with them and even innovate some things to become greater then it's inspiration in some ways. While not viable for the main series probably a constantly active party of less but much more developed out "partners" works much better imo than Mario + one of a half-dozen companions with a singular function and 4 moves.

Literally my only complaint is the greater narrative having trouble settling in while the x-nauts/bowser were pretty smoothly integrated but the chapter arcs and the worldbuilding are good enough that I don't really care.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Thanks. I didn't have the translated image on hand. Did they also happen to translate the starting menu? There's a button with a toad on it and a screen shot somewhere showing the partner toad in the battle screen with you so I'm wondering if they're a command now. Also important to note that the audience is back.
You mean this one, with the three icons in the bottom corner?

According to another user on Reddit, those three translate to "Hint", "Support", and "Retreat".

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
You mean this one, with the three icons in the bottom corner?

According to another user on Reddit, those three translate to "Hint", "Support", and "Retreat".
Yup, that's the one. Support does sound like that could be it. Guess we will have to wait and see. Thanks.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I consider it the true 3rd paper mario game. Took everything great about the first two, and then preceded to throw out every flaw I had with them and even innovate some things to become greater then it's inspiration in some ways. While not viable for the main series probably a constantly active party of less but much more developed out "partners" works much better imo than Mario + one of a half-dozen companions with a singular function and 4 moves. Litteraly my only complaint is the greater narrative having trouble settling in while the x-nauts/bowser were pretty smoothly integrated but the chapter arcs and the worldbuilding are good enough that I don't really care.
That's what it looks like. They should just give up on Paper Mario and let Bug Fables replace it. I hope it becomes a full franchise! I want to see more of these.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
They are gone. That bit is misleading it's not stickers it's an upgrade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3XwDV6jF6M&feature=youtu.be
In this video that actually shows the commands and handy translations, they are selectable commands again. Items are gone bro. Heck even partners are back. Why they showed it so poorly in the trailer I don't know but here we are.
*shrug* I'll wait to see another trailer to know for sure, but overall this game just looks awful. The fact that FP and BP are gone means battles are still pointless, so yet again you have the main mechanic of the game being not rewarding, except in the coin department because there are screenshots showing you having 13k coins.

So even if you do away with stickers/cards, this still looks to be the same game.

Also Super isn't divisive, like I'm sorry you don't like it but most did and it's not even close.
We'll just have to agree to disagree at this point.

Sales, baby. Always look at the sales. Sticker Star was the second best selling Paper Mario game. https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Paper_Mario At the end of the day
Firox, are you seriously, again, comparing sales of a game in an age where marketing is easier than ever, gaming is mainstream, and the Internet exists in your pocket to games from the days when the Internet was still not as convenient and gaming was still "just for nerds"? Please stop comparing anything pre-Wii to post-Wii. You're not even looking at console sales either.

Here's a healthy reminder about the INSTALL-BASE of each Paper Mario game:
- N64 Console Sales (PM64 Game Sales): 32.93M (1.37M); ~4.16% of N64 owners also purchased Paper Mario 64
- GC (TTYD): 21.74M (2.25M): ~10.35%
- Wii (SPM): 101.63M (4.23M): ~4.16%
- 3DS (SS): 75.77M (2.43M): ~3.21%
- Wii U (CS): 13.56M (0.186M): ~1.37%
(console-sales numbers taken directly from Wikipedia, PM game sales taken from your link)

For TTYD to undersell SS by about 180k people when its installbase isn't even a THIRD of 3DS means that TTYD was a significantly better success. SPM also didn't even double that of TTYD despite having nearly 5x the install-base. Adjusted for the console sales, and the fact that you can see stuff on the Internet instead of having to physically see ads, SS was a colossal failure comparatively, and TTYD was an absolute smash success. No other PM game was remotely as successful as TTYD; 64 and SPM are essentially tied together, SS did worse, and CS significantly worse than that.

It's incredibly short-sighted to look at sales of a game and not bother to see what % of your install-base also bought it, in addition to what era of Internet was available at the time.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
On the topic of partners in Paper Mario: The Origami King, true that they may seem plain and generic but... hear me out guys. What if they look that way, because throughout the game you might be able to acquire/purchase equipment that change their appearance? :eek: A few examples:

Hammer Bro Gear
  • Fire Bro
  • Boomerang Bro
  • Ice Bro
Bob-Omb Gear
  • Pink shell (Bombette)
  • Captain Hat (Admiral Bobbery)
Koopa Troopa
  • Ninja gear (Koopa Bros.)
  • Training Jacket (Koops)
  • Blue Shell (Kooper)
Just to name a few examples.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
View attachment 271750
This game looks so incredibly competent. Purposefully avoided any sort of spoiler just so I could eventually experience it all for myself one day and I think that time is now.
Apparently there is a buttload of content in this game too. I know a dude who speedruns the original PM and it took him 35 hours to beat the main story which is way more than I'd expect from a small indie title like this.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I know a dude who speedruns the original PM and it took him 35 hours to beat the main story which is way more than I'd expect from a small indie title like this.
Damn, really? That sounds awesome, I gotta look into this now. The main question would be to wait for Switch or buy for Steam.
Also looking at Steam reviews: 98% (overwhelmingly) positive. Plus $20 is a steal compared to $60 for Sticker Star 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom