• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
LOL I've been with Smash since the beginning, so definitely during Brawl. I admit that I wasn't a regular of sites like this at the time, but I, for one, was ELATED to see Wolf since he was literally my favorite character from the Star Fox franchise. If he wasn't considered well received by the general "fan base" I suppose I can understand that, but to be fair, I feel that Wolf falls into the same category as Joker, Greninja, Pacman, ZSS, etc. in the sense that nobody was really campaigning for him yet he still ended up as a character that grew on people. As for the current state of the SF franchise, yeah, it's a dumpster fire, but you have to remember that Star Fox 64 was arguably the heyday of the franchise and it still held historical relevance to Nintendo. Even if Star Fox went on to suck rocket ships with Zero, the franchise was still somewhat respectable back in 2008.

I'll give you that.

Ah, yeah, I realized after my post that I kinda read yours out of context. I get what you're saying. You can't argue against Geno's relevance and then claim that stuff like PP, Duck Hunt or WFT are any more justified.
Completely agree, I enjoyed wolf as another addition to the roster as a casual fan. Its a shame that he was more of a clone than I would have liked, but really most of these "ill received" characters are only hated by people who are more invested into the game.

As far as Earthbound goes, this is a Japanese game, so I would expect some of the roster to cater more to the country of origin of the parent company. My understanding is that its a really popular series during the snes era, which makes sense why Ness was used in the original smash bros game.

Personally I can't say that any character is less or more justified than Geno,there's too much bias and opinion with taking a stance on something like that.
If anything, the costume is at least likely to return.
Are there any sales figures on mii costumes available? I am curious how well that costume even sold.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Another thing that I don't think has been talked about a lot is that there's a pretty strong possibility that E3 2020 will be the last E3 to feature Smash in a long time. Brawl had 2006 and 2007, Smash 4 had 2013, 2014, and 2015. Ultimate has had 2018 and 2019 with 2020 practically confirmed. 6 packs left and even low balling it we're getting at least 6 and 7. Like I said in my previous post, except for one E3, there's literally been one that has had less than two character reveals. This means that based on this they would only reveal 2 characters (8 and 9) in the course of a year between June 2020 and June 2021 (the assumed reveal place of 10 and 11). I know Nintendo can hardcore stall for time but this is taking it to extreme lengths. The timespan between Hero through Byleth (4 characters) was roughly 5 months. Nintendo would have to more than double that to stall for 10 and 11 to be held off until next E3.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Considering development is slowed down with everybody at home, I'd say it's a lot. I'm expecting a somewhat smaller one.
If AC can get delayed, this stuff can too. I don't think they'll not show some stuff though.

or instance, Geno announced and Super Mario RPG downloaded for Switch. This keeps people happy.
This keeps *some* people happy. Like with DQ and BK, those were wildly different characters and genres, and doing something similar with Geno and someone else (Doomguy, Rex, etc) would be trying to ensure you please as many people as possible, which is important at E3.

Either way, yeah. Bonus characters in general, or a bonus pass, etc. I think more will come down the line.
Hoping what Fatman is thinking ends up being true. We could potentially see bonuses during the pass, so ARMS + #7 + Bonus #2 would be pretty cool. We'd then still have 4 more in FP2.

That's actually a lot of work. Spring Man has many animations and you need to make sure the skin never once breaks. Basically, you've seen "play as" mods and all? Most of them are awful and break easily. They have to take a long time to make sure there's no weird graphical glitches and so on. And that's a skin alone. That's ignoring any extra details.
I guess, sure.

Also, hiring a new voice actor for that alone is extra money unneeded. At that point, it's in their best interest and development time to put a single line of code to disable Spring Man if you play as ARMS character. You could also say they prefer shortcuts in these cases.
I don't think that would fly with Mass of Hero Soccer Eye though. He'd sooner put Springtron in and remove the voice lines, or just use Spring Man's voices but alter them to be robotic.

Another thing that I don't think has been talked about a lot is that there's a pretty strong possibility that E3 2020 will be the last E3 to feature Smash in a long time. Brawl had 2006 and 2007, Smash 4 had 2013, 2014, and 2015. Ultimate has had 2018 and 2019 with 2020 practically confirmed. 6 packs left and even low balling it we're getting at least 6 and 7. Like I said in my previous post, except for one E3, there's literally been one that has had less than two character reveals. This means that based on this they would only reveal 2 characters (8 and 9) in the course of a year between June 2020 and June 2021 (the assumed reveal place of 10 and 11). I know Nintendo can hardcore stall for time but this is taking it to extreme lengths. The timespan between Hero through Byleth (4 characters) was roughly 5 months. Nintendo would have to more than double that to stall for 10 and 11 to be held off until next E3.
Also this, especially if we do end up getting bonuses during the pass and not after.

So I¨m the only one that has a hard time seeing both getting in? I can see one of them, but both??? No way... Especially if Fatman's "fairness" claims end up being true.
Edit: Whoops sorry missed this one. Nah, I can see both getting in, Waluigi as a bonus IMO. It's really in Nintendo's court though if they actually want to do something with him or not. If his whole schtick is that he's just a joke, then they'll continue to keep him there, but there is a pretty big fan outcry (and it's more than "just for memes" at this point) to have him be a real character at this point. I could see them doing it. Waaaaaaaay worse chances than Geno for sure, but I don't see them in competition for the same slot at all.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If AC can get delayed, this stuff can too. I don't think they'll not show some stuff though.
I just don't think it'll be a giant amount. I expect more directs as per normal, just slightly more time between each one. Game creation is being delayed too, after all.

This keeps *some* people happy. Like with DQ and BK, those were wildly different characters and genres, and doing something similar with Geno and someone else (Doomguy, Rex, etc) would be trying to ensure you please as many people as possible, which is important at E3.
But it's not e3 anymore. e3 is cancelled. They've even confirmed they're taking longer to develop things in general. It's not the same situation overall. So I honestly highly doubt they're going to have a ton of content to reveal as is. And it keeps enough people happy for their purposes. Again, they're stretching at least 3 per year right now. They've been doing that reasonably well considering the necessary delays in development(and it has been confirmed development is delayed).

Hoping what Fatman is thinking ends up being true. We could potentially see bonuses during the pass, so ARMS + #7 + Bonus #2 would be pretty cool. We'd then still have 4 more in FP2.
Really doubt it. Sakurai actually said there is no DLC plans after 2 at this time. That was a fairly recent article too. If bonuses are happening, it's going to be next year when they've had actual time to decide upon it. Anything other than Pass 2 is highly unlikely. Even some Echoes.

I guess, sure.
I mean, they did take a long time to get the Meta-Ridley costume not look like horsecrap. Any skin over animations takes a long time if it's not just basic recoloring. And textures take time too. Springtron has model differences.

I don't think that would fly with Mass of Hero Soccer Eye though. He'd sooner put Springtron in and remove the voice lines, or just use Spring Man's voices but alter them to be robotic.
Well, yeah, he isn't going to do extra work if needed. He's literally disabled AT's from showing up if another character does. The precedence set is that he'll disable an AT and leave it at that without issues. Spring Man's AT isn't actually different from the various stage elements over the years(that is, in how NPC's are handled). Like any Link disabling Toon Link on the Spirit Train stage. Keep in mind he literally disables AT's in tons of Spirit Battles too. Or Knuckles' AT because of the stage thing in Green Hill Zone. There's far more evidence to suggest he's not going to bother with a new AT. Spring Man's AT would also be a completely unnecessary removal when it's a lot of good work thrown out over a fan rule.

Like I said, it's a waste of development time when it accomplishes nothing whatsoever. There's nothing actually gained from making a new AT when the old one is fine. It just doesn't show up under a specific condition, which Sakurai has consistently done during Ultimate as is. Or having a specific AT show up. This is a very common thing and far more likely than a replacement AT. If he makes Springtron as an AT, it'd only be because Spring Man is currently on the field. Spring Man's AT being scrapped is an outright waste of resources and coding. You can have both show up as is anyway. Likewise, Springtron could easily do different stuff and they would only be using the Spring Man AT to slightly help along the creation. Which would actually make the development worth it in that case, since they aren't wasting any time on effectively nothing.

------------

To note, I don't think past games mean much for reveals. We're in a unique DLC period that has to deal with officially delayed development. It's actually possible ARMS wasn't the first planned character of the pass, but that was in-house, but it doesn't seem like COVID19 at the time stopped Sakurai from meeting with a lot of others. Overseas, yes. But Japanese companies, no. I know there's a new interview, but I don't know where the proper link is, that explains the dealing with COVID19.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Just curious, what do you think overall would be what we're getting?
  • FP6 formal reveal, followed by FP7 reveal. I really don't believe we're getting three characters, especially considering what's going on in the world. As to who that character is, I have no idea. Naturally, I hope it's Geno.
  • A new Mario game, either SMAS2, Odyssey 2, Mario Kart 9, or something entirely new. Either way, Mario time.
  • A new trailer for BotW2, with a release window of Holiday 2021. In it's place, Skyward Sword HD is revealed. It fixes most of the biggest issues with the game, namely they allow you to limit Fi's dialogue only to what's needed, allow you to play without motion controls, opens the game up a little more, and introduces a hard mode. Wishful thinking mode, they also rerelease all the other 3D remakes onto the Switch so they can get even more of our money.
  • A couple new games coming to NSO: In terms of NES games, Earthbound Beginnings, Startropics 2, and the other two Ninja Gaiden games are right up there for me. Devil World, Lemmings and Tetris would be cool as well. Also Panic Restaurant. In terms of SNES games, oh my god where do I begin?! Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, the entire DKC trilogy, Wario's Woods, Mario & Wario, Panel De Pon, Super Punch-Out!!, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Skyblazer, the Satellaview Zelda games. Basically, there's a lot. Personally, Earthbound, DKC trilogy, and Wario's Woods are my most wanted.
  • A new Sonic game, either Sonic Adventure Remake or a new game altogether. It was recently announced that the SXSW news they were going to share has been pushed back a bit, so I'm fully expecting The Smoking Crater That Used to Be E3 will be when it gets revealed.
  • At least one game from a seldom-seen franchise. Think Wario, Metroid, any of their back catalogue of franchises. Except F-Zero, we're never getting that. ;-;
  • No news on Pikmin 4. Not because they don't have anything to show, but rather they know you really want it and just want to see you suffer.
  • Some new franchise like Splatoon, ARMS, or RingFit Adventure, that gives a new spin to an old genre.
  • More 3rd Party ports/remakes/collections of older games, because why not?
  • A reminder that life is horrible for everyone and we'll all die alone and miserable.

So I¨m the only one that has a hard time seeing both getting in? I can see one of them, but both??? No way... Especially if Fatman's "fairness" claims end up being true.
"One gets in, the other doesn't. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be." - FatThanosOnTitan

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
About Waluigi, I only think he will get included if we get a bonus like Plant. I just can't see Waluigi being a Fighters Pass character, and I am saying this as someone who wants Waluigi more then any other Nintendo-owned character. I think Nintendo would have to do a whole nother level of reaching for Spirits, a stage, and Mii Outfits to come with him and I just don't think he has much of a shot, even if this ARMS rep will be Spring Man. I hope I'm wrong though.

Lagguino

Smash Apprentice
On a cloud with some kid to defeat the Red Ribbon

As much as i want waluigi in for the waluigibros to be happy i honestly don't see him in the pass either. Maybe as a bonus like plant but other than that i don't see it. I'd gladly be wrong though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
About Waluigi, I only think he will get included if we get a bonus like Plant. I just can't see Waluigi being a Fighters Pass character, and I am saying this as someone who wants Waluigi more then any other Nintendo-owned character. I think Nintendo would have to do a whole nother level of reaching for Spirits, a stage, and Mii Outfits to come with him and I just don't think he has much of a shot, even if this ARMS rep will be Spring Man. I hope I'm wrong though.
That's... not hard to do. They don't group MIi costumes with any clear reasoning at all. Some are just random. There's tons of unused Mario characters, spin-offs included. A stage isn't really difficult at all. There's tons of Mario locales unused. Hell, isn't there some veteran stages not back yet they could throw in?

Practically any character is able to easily make a spirit board/stage/mii costume set with. If anything, the music might be lackluster.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Pretty much my thoughts, there's no way they're double-dipping the same franchise twice in the same Pass, even if Mario is the gaming franchise. I can see double dipping the same publisher, but not the same franchise.

I can see Geno OR Waluigi getting in, but not both. Another "sleeper" Mario rep I think people really underestimate is Paper Mario. If the rumours are true and Paper Mario is the big Mario game of this year, I can totally also see him getting into Smash. You have to remember PM was quite a big fan request back during the 4 days, as well as early Ultimate. That said, my bets are on Geno. There isn't going to be a special bonus DLC pack for fans of a certain characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
https://sourcegaming.info/2020/03/23/sakurai-on-covid/ BTW, here's the interview. Sakurai actually talks about the possibility of them temporarily stopping development. So with this in mind, we may not get as much content as expected. Key term being may.

Whoops, it's a bit older than just recent. My bad. I mean, it's still important to note. The latest column might change things, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m back wasn’t gone long but... Yeah good to be here. Anyway we’ll see what happens next.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
That's... not hard to do. They don't group MIi costumes with any clear reasoning at all. Some are just random. There's tons of unused Mario characters, spin-offs included. A stage isn't really difficult at all. There's tons of Mario locales unused. Hell, isn't there some veteran stages not back yet they could throw in?

Practically any character is able to easily make a spirit board/stage/mii costume set with. If anything, the music might be lackluster.
True. I guess they could use some of the Mario Tennis spin-off characters. You have a point with a stage too. Music is probably the toughest part though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
True. I guess they could use some of the Mario Tennis spin-off characters. You have a point with a stage too. Music is probably the toughest part though.
Name some enemies not in Smash's spirit list. There you go.

Spin-off characters I do agree is a better idea. Not Tennis outright, but just in general. Mario Party has many OC's to work with. Plus, I'm pretty sure the only unique Tennis/Golf characters are already in Smash. I guess you could throw in a second Metal Mario too?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Name some enemies not in Smash's spirit list. There you go.

Spin-off characters I do agree is a better idea. Not Tennis outright, but just in general. Mario Party has many OC's to work with. Plus, I'm pretty sure the only unique Tennis/Golf characters are already in Smash. I guess you could throw in a second Metal Mario too?
Think he's talking about the human characters in Mario Golf and Mario Tennis.
1586999302908.png

Which I don't think will happen but w/e

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Think he's talking about the human characters in Mario Golf and Mario Tennis.
View attachment 269346

Which I don't think will happen but w/e
...Don't we have a Plum spirit or something?

But fair enough.

We have a kid from Mario Golf, so they do use the humans from the spin-offs. So yeah, it has a reasonable chance of happening.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Ah, we’re doing Direct predictions? Here’s mine.

-I expect it to immediately start off with the ARMS character reveal, and most likely an accompanying shadow-drop “watch this livestream after the main presentation” sort of deal. ARMS 2 could also be announced here.
-Getting right into things, we immediately get the first full reveal of the long-awaited Shin Megami Tensei V, with either a shock “late 2020” release date, or more likely “2021” considering everything that’s been going on.
-Pikmin 3 HD finally gets a reveal trailer, third quarter 2020.
-Animal Crossing event announcement.
-Another trailer for Deadly Premonition 2.
-A few indie announcements back-to-back, ending in a big reveal trailer for Deltarune’s next chapter.
-A Metroid Prime 4 update.
-Something to do with Kirby.
-A couple other third-party announcements, not sure of the specifics.
-A reminder about Mario’s 35th anniversary, leading into a sizable block of Mario announcements.
-A new update for Mario Maker 2, out that month if not “tonight”
-SM3DWD, out third quarter 2020.
-A bunch of new Mario games on the NES and SNES Online services, including Super Mario All-Stars and Super Mario RPG.
-A new Paper Mario in the original style.
-Potentially a teaser trailer for the upcoming movie.
-Suddenly, a Smash reveal... and it’s Geno! Fall 2020.
-They end the Mario block with the announcement of Super Mario All-Stars 2. SM64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and possibly Galaxy 2 ported(not remade, just upscaled or something) with altered controls.
-Things get back to “regular Direct” for the first full look at BOTW 2, out 2021.
-Alright, that’s all the time we have today... wait, we have one more thing to show you.
-The Direct then ends with one of two final announcements: Either a third Smash reveal, or the announcement that Halo: Reach is coming to the Switch today, with the full MCC available for digital pre-order as well. Could be both if the character is Chief to begin with, but I‘m not entirely sure about them going all-out at once like that.

I’m not exactly expecting three full character reveals just on the basis of that being a bit much for one event, however if Geno really is #7, then I can see them doing it if only so people don’t immediately assume that the other four will all only be from Nintendo franchises as well.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Alright, I will try to predict Nintendo's "E3" Direct too:
1: I fully expect the ARMS character to start the Pass and I think it will be a Hero situation where they have Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min all as alts of each other. On top of that, a Sakurai presentation drops right after the Direct and released that day as well.
2: Nintendo announces that classic Square Enix games will come to the Switch, such as Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG. On top of that, Nintendo also announces that N64 games are coming to the Switch as well, including SM64, Banjo-Kazooie ECT. The Square Enix games for SNES are shadowdropped and the N64 games are planned to come in July.
3: Pikmin 4 is announced, alongside ports of the older Pikmin games too. Release date is scheduled for Fall.
4: Metroid 5 is announced and scheduled for release in the summer.
5: A new Paper Mario game is announced, which is a return to form. Scheduled for release next year.
6: Super Mario All-Stars 2 is announced, which is a collection of 3D Mario games. Scheduled for release in the Winter.
7: Big blowout of BOTW 2. I think this will be a ten minute showcase. Scheduled for release in the summer next year.
8: Third party and indie announcements are next. Not sure what they will be, but this is all but guaranteed.
9: Second to last announcement, Geno is FINALLY revealed for Smash Ultimate, and scheduled for release in Fall!
10: The last announcement: Super Mario Odyssey 2! Release date is unspecified.

I think these are pretty reasonable predictions.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Ya'll keep talking about how likely Waluigi is, but I literally cannot believe how hard King Boo is being slept on. It's ridiculously suspicious that they haven't added Luigi's Mansion 3 spirits. It's the exact same thing I said about FE Three Houses and this thread told me I was crazy because of a laundry list of reasons they thought it was unlikely, just like King Boo, but look what happened. The biggest thing that's holding me back from 100% believing in Geno is wondering whether or not they would add both in one pass.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Ya'll keep talking about how likely Waluigi is, but I literally cannot believe how hard King Boo is being slept on. It's ridiculously suspicious that they haven't added Luigi's Mansion 3 spirits. It's the exact same thing I said about FE Three Houses and this thread told me I was crazy because of a laundry list of reasons they thought it was unlikely, just like King Boo, but look what happened. The biggest thing that's holding me back from 100% believing in Geno is wondering whether or not they would add both in one pass.
Yeah, now that you mention it, I think it would make sense. I would love a Luigi's Mansion rep so I would be down. I think King Boo could be chosen as promotion, but if Nintendo wanted a fan service pick for FP2, similar to Banjo for FP1, then I think Geno could be that character.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Ya'll keep talking about how likely Waluigi is, but I literally cannot believe how hard King Boo is being slept on. It's ridiculously suspicious that they haven't added Luigi's Mansion 3 spirits.
They added Cuphead spirits but not Undertale spirits, despite Sans being in the game longer. Why are you sleeping on Frisk, Chara, Asgore, etc Undertale characters? (/s)
Legit though, I doubt we'll be getting King Boo. No one is pushing for him and could you imagine getting a second "Mario enemy" before Waluigi or Geno? I'm also not following LM3, so is it getting some substantial DLC or anything later this year? If not, it'd be extra awkward to suddenly push that (mostly) single-player game at June, 8 months after its release. ARMS at least makes sense since it's an online game and they could totally reveal ARMS 2.

PS: They also added ARMS spirits, but now we're getting an ARMS rep, so either way, that line of logic is flawed. Even if we did get King Boo, it's not like they had to hold back spirits. What if they're holding it for Halloween 2020?

(yes I know "King Boo" is a unique Boo, but he's still a Boo, just as Piranha Plant is a Piranha Plant)

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
They added Cuphead spirits but not Undertale spirits, despite Sans being in the game longer. Why are you sleeping on Frisk, Chara, Asgore, etc Undertale characters? (/s)
Legit though, I doubt we'll be getting King Boo. No one is pushing for him and could you imagine getting a second "Mario enemy" before Waluigi or Geno? I'm also not following LM3, so is it getting some substantial DLC or anything later this year? If not, it'd be extra awkward to suddenly push that (mostly) single-player game at June, 8 months after its release. ARMS at least makes sense since it's an online game and they could totally reveal ARMS 2.

PS: They also added ARMS spirits, but now we're getting an ARMS rep, so either way, that line of logic is flawed. Even if we did get King Boo, it's not like they had to hold back spirits. What if they're holding it for Halloween 2020?

(yes I know "King Boo" is a unique Boo, but he's still a Boo, just as Piranha Plant is a Piranha Plant)
As much as I'd like King Boo I have to agree, I really don't see him coming. I don't think the lack of Luigi's Mansion 3 spirits helps or hinders him though since they're kinda weird with spirits anyway. Like you mentioned, we have Cuphead spirits and no UNDERTALE spirits even though Sans came first. Plus we have a substantial amount of Luigi's Mansion spirits in the base game, not that they couldn't pull, say, the bosses from the first or third games to use as spirits, but as is we got a lot of the bases covered.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Uh, no he doesn't count as a generic enemy just because he's technically a boo. Any more than Captain Toad would count as a generic race. And Undertale is a random 3rd party game that got a special Mii costume. We don't know why Cuphead got an event, but it's one example and does not prove a trend. Undertale was never garunteed spirits. Luigi's Mansion 3 on the other hand is a 1st party game that was so big it actually beat out smash itself in one of the categories at the game awards. Why would Nintendo neglect it? And why would they hold back the spirits until Halloween when the game actually launched on Halloween? That would have been the perfect time.

To answer your question, it actually is getting a dlc expansion this year, so there's that too. To be fair though, we all literally just got blindsided by ARMS, let's not pretend we have any idea what their plans for this pass are.

King Boo isn't a minor character anymore. Luigi's Mansion is a big deal now, and he's been the main villain 3 times. He's Luigi's Bowser. Like I said, ya'll said these same kind of arguments when I said the same thing with Byleth.

Edit: the ARMS spirits were base game. They added spirit events for every major Nintendo release since except Mario Maker which doesn't have any unique characters, fire emblem which got a character, and Luigi's Mansion, which has no viable reason to not get an event. You mention Cuphead and Sans, but think about this. Why would Luigi's Mansion be the only new Nintendo game not to get a spirit event?

Last edited:

MarioTime

Smash Apprentice
The entire Smash community is sleeping on my boi King Boo, he's one of my most wanted. And I aint giving up on him until I see the LM3 spirit event lel

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Uh, no he doesn't count as a generic enemy just because he's technically a boo. Any more than Captain Toad would count as a generic race.
I mean, I'd still count Captain Toad as a Toad anyway. Regardless, I just don't see it happening, same with Captain Toad (unless they wanna shill a Captain Toad 2).

And Undertale is a random 3rd party game that got a special Mii costume. We don't know why Cuphead got an event, but it's one example and does not prove a trend.
No, but it does prove that stuff can just not get spirit events and games that already got spirit events can get characters. Hell, Resident Evil is back on board as a "possibility" for a Capcom rep.

Even if you want to ignore Undertale, my point still stands about ARMS, and that it basically says "spirits are irrelevant to new characters".

And why would they hold back the spirits until Halloween when the game actually launched on Halloween? That would have been the perfect time.
I still think they're probably holding it for October, though I'll agree it's a bit weird it wasn't a 2019 Halloween event instead. Maybe it just... won't get one at all. First party games don't have to get spirit events.

Luigi's Mansion 3 on the other hand is a 1st party game that was so big it actually beat out smash itself in one of the categories at the game awards.
The Game Awards mean nothing in regards to what Nintendo does. I don't see how this is relevant in any way.

Why would Nintendo neglect it?
Why would they neglect both SMM2 and SMP? SMP was practically DOA. SMM2 is still waiting to get its second extra game style... or any substantial update. Two games that could have been amazing and are just... existing... right now.

To answer your question, it actually is getting a dlc expansion this year, so there's that too.
Do we have a date? Also is it substantial? You say "expansion", but that can mean anything nowadays.

King Boo isn't a minor character anymore. Luigi's Mansion is a big deal now, and he's been the main villain 3 times. He's Luigi's Bowser. Like I said, ya'll said these same kind of arguments when I said the same thing with Byleth.
Byleth is the primary protagonist in the newest Fire Emblem game (and you know how much Nintendo loves to shill Fire Emblem). Luigi's Mansion is a very sporadic series that has had 3 games in 2001, 2013, and 2019. Paper Mario on the other hand, also being fairly sporadic, has had 5 games and never once got any representation in Smash outside of spirits, and I think stickers (Brawl) and trophies (not even a spirit event, nor moves on Mario to even represent those games!). Just because LM3 is a recent and good game doesn't automatically mean it's going to get a spirit event nor character. I'm not saying it can't/won't happen, but I just don't see it as likely, and especially not just because it's lacking a spirit event.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I mean, I'd still count Captain Toad as a Toad anyway. Regardless, I just don't see it happening, same with Captain Toad (unless they wanna shill a Captain Toad 2).

No, but it does prove that stuff can just not get spirit events and games that already got spirit events can get characters. Hell, Resident Evil is back on board as a "possibility" for a Capcom rep.

Even if you want to ignore Undertale, my point still stands about ARMS, and that it basically says "spirits are irrelevant to new characters".

I still think they're probably holding it for October, though I'll agree it's a bit weird it wasn't a 2019 Halloween event instead. Maybe it just... won't get one at all. First party games don't have to get spirit events.

The Game Awards mean nothing in regards to what Nintendo does. I don't see how this is relevant in any way.

Why would they neglect both SMM2 and SMP? SMP was practically DOA. SMM2 is still waiting to get its second extra game style... or any substantial update. Two games that could have been amazing and are just... existing... right now.

Do we have a date? Also is it substantial? You say "expansion", but that can mean anything nowadays.

Byleth is the primary protagonist in the newest Fire Emblem game (and you know how much Nintendo loves to shill Fire Emblem). Luigi's Mansion is a very sporadic series that has had 3 games in 2001, 2013, and 2019. Paper Mario on the other hand, also being fairly sporadic, has had 5 games and never once got any representation in Smash outside of spirits, and I think stickers (Brawl) and trophies (not even a spirit event, nor moves on Mario to even represent those games!). Just because LM3 is a recent and good game doesn't automatically mean it's going to get a spirit event nor character. I'm not saying it can't/won't happen, but I just don't see it as likely, and especially not just because it's lacking a spirit event.
I'm sorry, it's late and I'm sleepy, so I'm not going to try to respond to everything. It's not because I'm ignoring you.

The ARMS spirits were base game when ARMS wasn't planned as dlc. Now that we're in the second pass, they simply didn't let the spirits stop them. But if King Boo was already planned back in October when the fighter pass 2 was announced, then why would they add spirits and not wait for the dlc wave?

Again, not every 3rd party series in smash is getting events Cuphead has been the exception so far, not the rule. Nearly every Nintendo release, major or not, has gotten a spirit event. I forgot about smp, but again, it does not feature any new characters. I absolutely do think that a major release like LM3 is all but garunteed a spirit event. Just look at the history. It's impossible to deny that almost all Nintendo games since Ultimate's release have gotten spirit events. The only ones that haven't either don't feature any new characters and thus have nothing new to offer that couldn't have just been in base game, or got a character. The only one left is Luigi's Mansion.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Missing spirits don't always mean anything. Yes, LM 3 not getting a spirit event is suspicious; but they may just have them saved for later.

For example, both FE3H and Astral Chain released in summer 2019, yet had to wait until January to get there spirits events; and only 1 of them actually came with a character. If we go even further back, XC Torna came out 3 months before Smash, and hasn't gotten a single spirit either even from updates. Dragalia is a mobile ip, with no spirits either. And it's not like Nintendo is against mobile representation with things like FEH getting music.

So while suspicious, it is more likely then not that no LM 3 spirits means nothing. Even then I would still say King Boo is behind the likes of Geno, Waluigi, and Paper Mario.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
I'm sorry, it's late and I'm sleepy, so I'm not going to try to respond to everything. It's not because I'm ignoring you.

The ARMS spirits were base game when ARMS wasn't planned as dlc. Now that we're in the second pass, they simply didn't let the spirits stop them. But if King Boo was already planned back in October when the fighter pass 2 was announced, then why would they add spirits and not wait for the dlc wave?

Again, not every 3rd party series in smash is getting events Cuphead has been the exception so far, not the rule. Nearly every Nintendo release, major or not, has gotten a spirit event. I forgot about smp, but again, it does not feature any new characters. I absolutely do think that a major release like LM3 is all but garunteed a spirit event. Just look at the history. It's impossible to deny that almost all Nintendo games since Ultimate's release have gotten spirit events. The only ones that haven't either don't feature any new characters and thus have nothing new to offer that couldn't have just been in base game, or got a character. The only one left is Luigi's Mansion.
That actually makes sense. Never thought about it but yeah you're totally right. King Boo could actually seriously happen. King Boo was invented in Luigi's Mansion right? So if he's a spinoff character like Geno then I'd say they have about equal odds.. maybe even leaning towards King Boo since he has a new game to advertise.

Paper Mario on the other hand, also being fairly sporadic, has had 5 games and never once got any representation in Smash outside of spirits, and I think stickers (Brawl) and trophies (not even a spirit event, nor moves on Mario to even represent those games!).
Paper Mario actually has a stage in both Smash 3DS and Smash Ultimate

Powerman293

Smash Ace
People taking lack of spirits as a defacto sign of character confirmation or deconfirmation are deluding themselves. Nintendo only has so many resources to make even spirits , and they can't do so for EVERY game. I'd love more spirits, but it's obvious Nintendo is doing what they consider enough to keep casual players engaged with the game while adding a fun promotional aspect to it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Legit though, I doubt we'll be getting King Boo. No one is pushing for him and could you imagine getting a second "Mario enemy" before Waluigi or Geno?

I think we'll be getting Geno, but this is like saying King Bob-omb and Bobbery are just bob-ombs, King Goomba, Goombario and Goombella are just goombas, Petey Piranha is just a piranha plant, and maybe even the Koopalings are just koopas. They may be of the same species as some generic enemies, but they are not on the same level as those generic enemies.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Dw about it. I miss replying to people all the time.

I don't know, but at the same time, I just don't see it as being that significant.

I still think it's a jump to be like "oh we're definitely getting a spirit event AND a character" just because a spirit board for it is missing.

Paper Mario actually has a stage in both Smash 3DS and Smash Ultimate
Lol I totally forgot about that. Granted, so does LM.
Personally, I'd be a bit miffed if LM got a character rep before PM though, unless they're just doing it to shill.

I think we'll be getting Geno, but this is like saying King Bob-omb and Bobbery are just bob-ombs, King Goomba, Goombario and Goombella are just goombas, Petey Piranha is just a piranha plant, and maybe even the Koopalings are just koopas. They may be of the same species as some generic enemies, but they are not on the same level as those generic enemies.
I had like a whole post in response to this, but it went on too long, so I'll just leave it at this: to reiterate, I never said King Boo is a generic Boo, all I said was, he is a Boo, and it would be weird if we got him before characters like Geno or Waluigi. Hell I'd say the same thing with regards to a Paper Mario partner. Use Bow if you want; she's also a Boo. It'd be even weirder if we got a PM partner playable before Geno or Waluigi... or Paper Mario for that matter.

Edit: I guess I feel like if they are gonna do King Boo, he'd either be in by now, or will be in later (closer to DLC release) to push/shill the DLC, but I still think it'd be weird. Idk, might just be me.

PS: I will however say that Captain Toad is 100% a generic Toad with gear though, in the same way all the colors of Yoshis aren't unique. Any Toad can put on gear and be "Captain Toad". Toadette literally proved that, didn't she?

Last edited:

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of Geno, Arms, and Waluigi, I had the weirdest dream that at E3 the Arms fighter was revealed at the beginning of the direct. being similar to Hero with Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, and Min Min becoming playable (their was another, I couldn't remember who). Geno got revealed as the second to last reveal, similar to Banjo last year, scheduled to be released in fall or winter, then after the direct Sakurai held a presentation for the Arms rep, with a Smash Invitation on the desk as he explained that Spring Man would be the only assist upgrade, only for Waluigi to snatch the letter, say "Like that's ever gonna happen! WALUIGI TIME!" Followed by an announcement that Waluigi would be seperate DLC and release around Mario's 35th. I woke up now laughing at the Waluigi segment and sad cause I would've loved if thats how the direct went down

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
imo, the lack of luigis mansion 3 spirits is just that nintendo/sakurai/whoever decides this stuff simply hasn't felt the need to prioritize it.

One thing i would like to maybe point out is the spirits classes. Boo is a novice spirit, so hes a one star, and he evolves into king boo who is an advanced spirit, and hes two stars. Meanwhile paper mario and waluigi are three star, and geno is a four star. Now obviously this doesnt automatically mean that king boo wont get in, but if you ask me i just dont see king boo happening like at all.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Playing Animal Crossing all the time now because I'm stuck at home due to coronavirus lockdown.

I recently stumbled upon the animal crossing trading community and atm I almost feel turned off from the game because of the community. I kind of wanted to find people to talk with that were into the game but ...I dunno. I find it kind of disgusting.

SwitchButton

and it would be weird if we got him before characters like Geno or Waluigi
I mean.. King Boo HAS been the main villain for one of Nintendo's higher selling series for like 15 years now. I won't comment on Geno but he definitely deserves it over Waluigi.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Who is there really to add as LM3 spirits? Forgive me, for I haven't played it, but since LM3 seems to use characters that mostly already have spirits in the game, it seems they really didn't have enough left to add for a full event. Gooigi seems like the only exception to that, but I don't see them making a Gooigi themed spirit event (though, that'd be hilarious)
King Boo is really the only character I can see them adding from LM3 to Smash. Gooigi (Is literally a Luigi clone) and E Gadd (Not really much of a fighter) have little to no shot imo. If King Boo really is planned to be added, then it's still kinda good news for us because it means spirits don't deconfirm but it's also another Mario rep so eh.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Who is there really to add as LM3 spirits? Forgive me, for I haven't played it, but since LM3 seems to use characters that mostly already have spirits in the game, it seems they really didn't have enough left to add for a full event. Gooigi seems like the only exception to that, but I don't see them making a Gooigi themed spirit event (though, that'd be hilarious)
King Boo is really the only character I can see them adding from LM3 to Smash. Gooigi (Is literally a Luigi clone) and E Gadd (Not really much of a fighter) have little to no shot imo. If King Boo really is planned to be added, then it's still kinda good news for us because it means spirits don't deconfirm but it's also another Mario rep so eh.
In terms of spirits:

Poltergust 3000 Luigi
Gooigi
Polterpup
Polterkitty
E. Gadd
Boolossus
Hellen Gravely
Morty
The various enemies ghost types
The various character ghosts

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Am I the only one here expecting only a dual character reveal? ARMs character and FP7? Nintendo can't blow its entire load for Smash right now given how spaced apart the ratio of characters to end date seems to be.

D

Deleted member

I think Geno and King Boo can both be characters. Geno for fan demand and Boo for promotional pick. If there are 8 Fire Emblem characters, Nintendo would not mind. This is basically Roy and Corrin situation for Smash 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom