• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, Namco-Bandai has a lot bigger stuff than Klonoa anyway. Soul Calibur, Digimon, Dark Souls, Tekken, to name a few. Them also being way more active probably would get Nintendo's attention easier. Fan requests also help, as well. Has Klonoa been getting tons of fan requests? If not, it probably would be under their radar easier than Bamco's more prevalent series.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Well depending on how much of a "shill picks" defeatist you are
I'm not at all. Nintendo definitely does pick a few, but they mostly pick fan-picks.

it makes more sense for Klonoa to be the choice because his games have struggled worldwide since conception and being in Smash might just be the boost he needs to finally be something of a mascot character.
As someone completely ignorant on the topic, off the top of my head without looking it up, I thought there was like 2 Klonoa games somewhere in the PS1/2 era. Looking it up, I see it had about 4 games actually, which does surprise me, but again, super ignorant on the topic. I've still never heard of any of these and people have only talked as though they were a completely dead franchise after one or two games that did okay but nothing spectacular.

As for "needing the boost", that depends entirely on Nintendo, Namco, and, potentially, if there's enough of a fan demand for him. Is there? Mmmm, I'm not sure. I have frequently heard Lloyd and rarely ever see Klonoa.

Neither measures up to Geno.
Well yeah, obviously. This is the Geno thread after all. ;)

Honestly, Namco-Bandai has a lot bigger stuff than Klonoa anyway. Soul Calibur, Digimon, Dark Souls, Tekken, to name a few. Them also being way more active probably would get Nintendo's attention easier. Fan requests also help, as well. Has Klonoa been getting tons of fan requests? If not, it probably would be under their radar easier than Bamco's more prevalent series.
Exactly, and having none of them in Smash (except a tiny cameo of Heihachi in Pac-Man's taunt) is really weird. I could totally see them going with neither Klonoa nor Lloyd, but still getting a character in. Sorry to say to the Klonoa fans here, but I don't think he has a chance. While irrelevancy isn't relevant, it is when he doesn't have the massive following characters like BK or Geno have. Most picks are either relevant (Byleth), relevant-and-popular (Joker, Hero, etc), or irrelevant but very popular (BK, Belmonts, KKR, etc). Sure there's a weird pick every now and then (PLANT), but I don't think we have a single "weird" third party pick.

PS: For the record, I'm not even against Klonoa or anything. That would be another one of those "Neat." picks that I wouldn't react to (other than being sad Lloyd would basically be deconfirmed for FP2), I just don't think his chances are very good when BandaiNamco has a lot of other, relevant, and even more popular franchises that they could pick from. Why go with a not-as-popular, dead, character over one that's popular and still relevant today (so it could double as advertising), y'know?

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I know that 4chan post saying Doomguy and Geno is probably a load of ass and the Id interview hurts Doomguy's chances, but if this Mii Costume blueprint stuff does show Cacomallow being real, I STILL want to have hope that Doomguy and Geno will be revealed in one presentation.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Exactly, and having none of them in Smash (except a tiny cameo of Heihachi in Pac-Man's taunt) is really weird. I could totally see them going with neither Klonoa nor Lloyd, but still getting a character in. Sorry to say to the Klonoa fans here, but I don't think he has a chance. While irrelevancy isn't relevant, it is when he doesn't have the massive following characters like BK or Geno have. Most picks are either relevant (Byleth), relevant-and-popular (Joker, Hero, etc), or irrelevant but very popular (BK, Belmonts, KKR, etc). Sure there's a weird pick every now and then (PLANT), but I don't think we have a single "weird" third party pick.
Banjo-Kazooie is a relevant series due to Microsoft's overall handling of the IP. They never let it die since Rare Replay existed, keeping it fully alive. Just, you know, not as neat as it should be with new actual games. But it's in the spotlight constantly through advertising. That's relevance in the gaming industry. This is mainly how many people know who they are if they didn't grow up with the N64 or were lucky enough to see the new games in the series when they still had them. Castlevania is still relevant to this day(the particular Belemonts aren't used, but the IP overall is. Pinball and the Netflix show aren't the fan favorite uses, but the IP is very active regardless). DKC is relevant. This is why I've found these relevancy arguments to being ignoring key context here. It's not just about the character, it's about the IP's usage too. Every single franchise to get a new character in Ultimate were active products. ARMS is actually advertised less than B-K, especially.

Klonoa is more of a case of entirely unused and probably lacking in fan support too. I'll further clarify that I don't think relevancy mattered for the three picks I'm talking about either. Though it may be why Sakurai went for them over others. DKC's relevancy makes it easier to pick a character than something like Golden Sun which is 100% dead right now. This makes them easier priorities. Fan demand helps too, but Isaac had hefty fan demand, so there's only one clear difference among the franchises. B-K being an active product helped too, but do note that Minecraft is what paved the way, so I doubt relevancy mattered(not that again, B-K were legitimately irrelevant because of the active product status) so much as it could've been favorable for them to work together and give each other stuff in return for others. More like business deals coupled with fan demand. Castlevania was blatantly active, so it's not hard for Konami to want their product promoted further anyway. Ironically Bomberman the character was more active than anyone but Alucard(who is active via the TV show), but that's now how Sakurai looked at it anyway. He wanted the most recognizable protagonists, but it's worth noting that the massive votes were for Casstlevania as a whole, not any particular character. At least the way Sakurai puts it. Alucard was probably the most voted, seemingly with how he talked about him.

That aside, Geno is about the only one who lacks any kind of relevancy I think among 3rd parties is likely. He'd be the first one to have absolutely no active product in question, which would be really neat. That, and the whole relevancy thing would be truly broken in context.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The relevancy argument was pretty much killed thanks to Banjo and Kazooie anyway, but Geno's confirmation would be the final nail in the coffin against detractors who say otherwise

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I know that 4chan post saying Doomguy and Geno is probably a load of ass and the Id interview hurts Doomguy's chances, but if this Mii Costume blueprint stuff does show Cacomallow being real, I STILL want to have hope that Doomguy and Geno will be revealed in one presentation.
Agreed. The DOOM fanbase seems to have a knack for making unlikely friendships incredibly quickly- first Geno, then Isabelle, and I swear there was another one that I can't remember...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Daily reminder that the upcoming Donkey Kong Country calendar includes K. Rool, the first time he’s truly acknowledged outside the context of Smash in a long while. This strongly implies he will be more used in the future.
Smash Ultimate came first before said calendar though so my point still stands.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
And Richter if we're totally blunt. The mental gymnastics people go through to dismiss Geno but say the mild demands of the Castlevania fanbase for Richter was enough to get him is honestly a treat to read again and again. "But he was the star of Rondo of Blood!" Yeah in 1993 and even if you split hairs with Symphony of the Night that was still 1997. To recap: Richter is basically a major playable character that hasn't had a new appearance outside of cameos and rereleases since the late 90's but supposedly the Castlevania fanbase ALONE was enough to consider him. Exactly why is Geno any different? I'll wait...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
And Richter if we're totally blunt. The mental gymnastics people go through to dismiss Geno but say the mild demands of the Castlevania fanbase for Richter was enough to get him is honestly a treat to read again and again. "But he was the star of Rondo of Blood!" Yeah in 1993 and even if you split hairs with Symphony of the Night that was still 1997. To recap: Richter is basically a major playable character that hasn't had a new appearance outside of cameos and rereleases since the late 90's but supposedly the Castlevania fanbase ALONE was enough to consider him. Exactly why is Geno any different? I'll wait...
TFW when its been longer for Richter then Geno has.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The relevancy argument was pretty much killed thanks to Banjo and Kazooie anyway, but Geno's confirmation would be the final nail in the coffin against detractors who say otherwise
Two active series used by their company quite heavily got a character. It killed nothing.

Geno has barely a slight difference in that SMRPG is practically unused. DKC is a continuous series to begin with, so King K. Rool not being used doesn't mean the series he's in is unused. He alone is still a core part of the overarching storyline. B-K is an active product itself, keeping it in the spotlight. Note that I'm not specifically saying the character here either, since that's not the key factor in what Sakurai means by relevancy. Nintendo also probably cares about relevancy than he does, since active products are easier to advertise. Besides that, when working with a 3rd party company, an active product can be way easier to get due to cooperation on the business side(B-K is one of Microsoft's many active products).

Smash Ultimate came first before said calendar though so my point still stands.
Not really. They have plans for him in the future. A relevant franchise got a new character. It's not exactly weird that happened.

If Geno gets in, it's a relevant franchise getting another character(Super Mario). Frankly, to kill the relevancy factor, we should be getting a new character from an actually dead franchise(that means it cannot be an active product at the time). There's quite a few who could fit that mark. Isaac is a perfect example of removing that theory as is. The only time a non-relevant series has gotten a character was with retros/surprise characters only. That was it. Everything else was an active product at the timing of entering Smash. Of course, we actually know that relevancy isn't the entire story and is just a guideline. Characters from inactive series are less likely to get a character. That's literally what relevancy is in the context of Smash. He's never spoken "just about the character", but the franchise always was a key point in context. That's why these relevancy statements have been consistently inaccurate.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not really. They have plans for him in the future. A relevant franchise got a new character. It's not exactly weird that happened.

If Geno gets in, it's a relevant franchise getting another character(Super Mario). Frankly, to kill the relevancy factor, we should be getting a new character from an actually dead franchise(that means it cannot be an active product at the time). There's quite a few who could fit that mark. Isaac is a perfect example of removing that theory as is. The only time a non-relevant series has gotten a character was with retros/surprise characters only. That was it. Everything else was an active product at the timing of entering Smash. Of course, we actually know that relevancy isn't the entire story and is just a guideline. Characters from inactive series are less likely to get a character. That's literally what relevancy is in the context of Smash. He's never spoken "just about the character", but the franchise always was a key point in context. That's why these relevancy statements have been consistently inaccurate.
So why is it then that outside of cameos that our great King was irrelevant for an decade (2008-2018)?

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
:ultrichter: last appeared in Harmony of Despair before the roster for Smash Ultimate was finalised in 2015. That game released in 2010.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So why is it then that outside of cameos that our great King was irrelevant for an decade (2008-2018)?
You completely overlooked the entire point.

That does not matter. He does not need to be used. Because what mattered is both fan demand and being from an active product. It's no coincidence that DKC, an active product, got a character, while Golden Sun, a dead product, got no characters.

The franchise that was active was more likely to get characters. Literally what Sakurai said. It's not some weird rocket science. Relevancy isn't the rule people think it is. It was always about franchises being active, not about the character.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You completely overlooked the entire point.

That does not matter. He does not need to be used. Because what mattered is both fan demand and being from an active product. It's no coincidence that DKC, an active product, got a character, while Golden Sun, a dead product, got no characters.

The franchise that was active was more likely to get characters. Literally what Sakurai said. It's not some weird rocket science. Relevancy isn't the rule people think it is. It was always about franchises being active, not about the character.
I would assume the reason he's gonna be used again for future games is due to the fan demand that especially got him into Ultimate in the first place if the calendar is anything to go by then.

Droodle

Smash Lord
BuT GeNo Is A SiDe ChArAcTeR/s!!!

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Truth be told , the Klonoa fanbase is there , and they're passionate.
But right now , the vast majority are more concerned about a trademark wich hint at a new game/remake after a 10+ years hiatus from the serie. (Last game was Klonoa Wii. Also , recently , Mr.Driller got a new game during the mini-direct , and got trademarked at the same time as Klonoa) : https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/17/2...a-splatterhouse-bandai-namco-trademarks-japan

Klonoa is a very special character to me , and I feel like he got done dirty. Klonoa 1 sold actually pretty well on PS1 , but is extremely hard to find nowadays. Klonoa 2 on PS2 had to compete against stinkin Ratchet And Clank and Jak and Daxter AT LAUNCH. The Klonoa GBA games are pretty much spin-off story wise , one release worldwide , one was US/Japan only , and one was Japan only. And then there's Moonlight Museum on the Wonderswan , a PS1 volley ball game , and a Wii remake of the original.
If anyone want to know more about this fluffy cat-rabbit mascott , I strongly recommend watching this video :

But yeah , truth be told , I rather have Klonoa than most Bamco reps everyone ask for. Beside the Katamari Prince with wich I would be happy with , none of the others reps interest me all that much.

Anyway , back to good ol' Geno :

Did anyone knew there was a pretty good parody of it ? I found it recently , but I love it :

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would assume the reason he's gonna be used again for future games is due to the fan demand that especially got him into Ultimate in the first place if the calendar is anything to go by then.
Oh, that I can agree with. That makes sense. You quoted my entire post, so the context of your reply was a bit off for me to read. Whoops.

Though to be fair, they did keep giving him Smash content in 4, so the fan demand was already doing its work.

Nonetheless, he wasn't hard to see coming. You see, I thought relevance was about the character too. That's why I thought Dixie would have gotten in. But then looking at the context of each character chosen, every single franchise was an active product, and then seeing Sakurai's own statement? It became clearer to me that an inactive character is not equivalent to an inactive franchise in itself. One other note on what he said is that a character that is unlikely to have a future might not be chosen. However, if a product is constantly getting games, that's impossible to tell. This also explains Wolf not being DLC in 4 to a small degree. The delay of SFZ makes his future uncertain. It's also part of why his cut makes sense, since SF was no longer an active product during 4's development. Falco was still an easy clone in comparison, hence him staying(and always widely more popular than Wolf). Mother is still outright dead, though it's more "finished" than dead, but either way it's not getting new product, so removing one of the character has some logic to it. Though Wolf not being DLC is possibly just sad timing, as SFZ might not have mattered even then. The DLC was done very uniquely, namely being the veterans were highly specific(general veteran, Melee veteran, Brawl veteran) with 4 unique newcomers(2 from major 3rd party series, 1 that was highly voted on the ballot but probably chosen by Nintendo beforehand(and also a 3rd party) and 1 from an upcoming game). Ultimate's DLC is... very different, which makes things interesting.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Because Richter is the most popular Belmont in Japan, with many cameos/apearance in recent entries.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yep, that's true. Richter was largely absent apart from rereleases

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
I would argue Klonoa is significantly less known than Tales of. It would be insane to see Klonoa content but not Lloyd TBH. That'd be like seeing the Phanto mask face from Doki Doki Panic Mario 2 USA be playable before Yoshi.
538.jpg
heresy.gif

Did...you just compare Klonoa to a mother****ing mask...? I will find you and feed you spinach. Here comes the airplane.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I'll take the lazy approach and just post this list i made out of a template a while. I'd be pretty happy with any of these peeps and more:

View attachment 269072
also cacomallow is real, have i mentioned that yet?

Here's mine:
Untitled683_20200413154644.png

Things of note:
•King Dedede has been my main since 2008 and I have never dropped him since. It was his inclusion in Brawl, as well as Kirby Super Star Ultra, that hooked me on Smash and Nintendo.
•I was extremely hyped for Ridley, K Rool, and Banjo's reveals for Smash when they happened.
•Most of my secondaries (and some of my mains) are oddballs because I love how wacky and out of place they are among the roster in design and moveset.
•Reimu is one I just want because I want to see what moves she'd have and how they'd incorporate a moveset for her.
•Shovel Knight was my most wanted fighter during the spec cycle for base, with Rayman as 2, Geno as 3, and Bandana Dee as 4. Isabelle was 5 and Banjo was 6. Hoping we can get atleast one of my top 4 in during this.
•Master Chief is a character I've grown to appreciate and my best friend wants him with all his heart, so bring him in, I say!
•Sylux is here because not only do I like the design but the Sylux and Adeleine buddy pictures were hecking adorable and I wish I could have both. I guess Doom Slayer got that too because of Geno.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As someone completely ignorant on the topic, off the top of my head without looking it up, I thought there was like 2 Klonoa games somewhere in the PS1/2 era. Looking it up, I see it had about 4 games actually, which does surprise me, but again, super ignorant on the topic. I've still never heard of any of these and people have only talked as though they were a completely dead franchise after one or two games that did okay but nothing spectacular.

As for "needing the boost", that depends entirely on Nintendo, Namco, and, potentially, if there's enough of a fan demand for him. Is there? Mmmm, I'm not sure. I have frequently heard Lloyd and rarely ever see Klonoa.
Not too long ago Namco filed a trademark for a Klonoa of the Wind title - we still don't really know anything about that, but it's kind of something in his favor from the shill angle. Again, if Namco wants to try and revive the franchise, fan demand be fan damned, we're getting Klonoa.

I'll beat the Klonoa horse a little longer and say that clocking in a massive four games, a few remakes, and at least one manga makes Klonoa more of a staying character than literally anyone from ARMS, but here we are. I'm not saying this to downplay ARMS or get someone to crawl out from the floorboards and remind me that ARMS is a first party title, I'm just putting the facts forward: In terms of having games to pull move ideas and to reference when talking about where the guy comes from, he's been in more titles than approximately half the roster. Also he has the upside of being the undisputed face of the franchise... I mean, his name's on it. I think Joker has sort of proven to us (if Fire Emblem hasn't by now...) that it doesn't matter very much, but if there were any question about alienating fans of a franchise by picking someone who might not be the OG, or who might not be liked as well as other characters, you totally dodge that bullet with Klonoa over Lloyd or any other "Tales of" pick. Is this all coming from a place of thinking that Lloyd would be far too samey of a pick? You bet. I don't wish any Lloyd supporters ill but I would much rather see Klonoa or any of Namco's hundreds of other "literally who" characters. It feels like a total Sakurai move to pick some nobody from the annals of Namco's history and trust me, they have a lot of nobodies. I'm a fan of a number of them, but Klonoa speaks to me in his weird baby language.

Oh, and I mention this when I have the opportunity: if he makes it in there's a chance we get this ****ing gem of a music track and that's a future I'm down with:

Alright, all Geno all the time, never forget that we're here rooting for a character made for an IP that the company that owns him doesn't own, that hasn't been in a game for 24 years. If we ever play the relevancy angle against someone else we're calling the kettle blacker than the deep starless sky.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Oh, and I mention this when I have the opportunity: if he makes it in there's a chance we get this ****ing gem of a music track and that's a future I'm down with:
If I may add one thing...

C U R S E D L E O R I N A

Also , to stay on topic , beside Yoko , wich composers do you want to see for SMRPG remixes in Smash ?

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
I find it funny how some people also use Mario RPG not releasing in Europe as an argument against Geno since the re-releases didn’t come until years later and many people would have no idea who he was.
Yet neither did Earthbound...

D

Deleted member

I find it funny how some people also use Mario RPG not releasing in Europe as an argument against Geno since the re-releases didn’t come until years later and many people would have no idea who he was.
Well it's different because Nintendo owns Earthbound!

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Gonna re-iterate my hot take here:

Geno already has the Mii List, Cacomallow is bigger for Doomguy.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It probably helps that Mother got content in Smash 64 immediately(and Smash 64 was not meant to release outside of Japan, so there's no the localization factors was taken into account yet when choosing the lineup. However, look at Melee as evidence that worldwide release is clearly not going to always matter, if at all), so it's easier to believe it could get another character again. Also, worth noting that many really doubt them getting any new characters due to the series being officially finished and is never getting a new game(unless Itoi changes his mind).

Though yeah, not being released in one region doesn't even matter. I mean, we've gotten characters specifically from the European regions too, including ones owned by a European company as well. Sure, in all of these situations, there's some unique context to why, but SMRPG was still partially Nintendo-copyrighted, so it's the same type of context anyway.

Overall, it never felt like a logical argument to me. So the game wasn't released in the UK yet? Um? Okay? I mean, at best it not being released worldwide might affect some ballot votes?

Here's something interesting though; Lucas almost didn't make it into Brawl cause Mother 3 wasn't going to be localized. But he was also going to replace Ness too. When he found out it was Japan-only, he decided to keep both to appeal to both sides of the world. So the lack of being in one region is something Sakurai has considered, yes, but it clearly hasn't had an actual impact either. On another note, Nintendo is choosing the DLC, not Sakurai, and they had the SNES Mini with Geno. Besides that, Geno has tweets approved by Nintendo(sure, it was the US Twitter, but it still matters that the company as a whole cares about the character). So... I don't think we have to worry about the fact Geno wasn't in the UK yet. Plus, didn't that happen after the Geno costume?

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Here's mine: View attachment 269125
Things of note:
•Shovel Knight was my most wanted DLC during the spec cycle for base, with Rayman as 2, Geno as 3, and Banada Dee as 4. Isabelle was 5 and Banjo was 6. Hoping we can get atleast one of my time 4 in during this.
•Master Chief is a character I've grown to appreciate and my best friend wants him with all his heart, so bring him in, I say!
I was about to say that you forgot to post the actual image, but then it loaded. lol. That's a refined taste you as well as Rikarte Rikarte and all the folks who posted who they wanted without the template got.

Really, I just find it interesting to see what characters other people want in Smash and how both different and similar our wants can be. Maybe even try to appreciate or at least better understand the appeal of said characters. Here's to some of our wishes making it in!

D

Deleted member

Also , to stay on topic , beside Yoko , wich composers do you want to see for SMRPG remixes in Smash ?
I'd honestly prefer getting no remixes. Don't get me wrong, I do like the Smash remixes, but they often fail to capture the quality of the original song and what made them so good in the first place (see: Banjo-Kazooie).

If I had choose, then I'd say Tomoya Ohtani. I doubt we'd get him, as none of the composers from SEGA have returned for DLC, but I feel the style used in games such as Sonic Forces could be a good fit for songs such as Weapons Factory or Fight Against Smithy.

Last edited by a moderator:

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice
I'd honestly prefer getting no remixes. Don't get me wrong, I do like the Smash remixes, but they often fail to capture the quality of the original song and what made them so good in the first place (see: Banjo-Kazooie).

If I had choose, then I'd say Tomoya Ohtani. I doubt we'd get him, as none of the composers from SEGA have returned for DLC, but I feel the style used in games such as Sonic Forces could be a good fit for songs such as Weapons Factory or Fight Against Smithy.
What Banjo remixes are bad? The whole point of them is to remix them so they're suited for battle. It wouldn't make any sense to put in any normal ones (besides Freezeezy) so of course they're going to be different.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Gonna re-iterate my hot take here:

Geno already has the Mii List, Cacomallow is bigger for Doomguy.
I don't think so, since the Martin Straton Interview, all is going bad for DoomSlayer, He is implying that in Bethesda they want DoomSlayer playable, but Nintendo refused, I feel that the timeline we are living is as follows: Direct in June; It starts with the ARMS character, I think it is either min min or ribbon girl and at the end of the direct we see Geno, some days later the video of Sakurai of the character of Arms is broadcast, the miis arrive and then it is announced to Cacodemon, already be normal like Altair or goemon or it is sans style with E1M1

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Did...you just compare Klonoa to a mother****ing mask...? I will find you and feed you spinach. Here comes the airplane.
No, I didn't. I was saying it'd be similar if that happened. That's about the chances I put Klonoa on, the same as trying to push Phanto before Yoshi. Irrelevant isn't relevant obviously or we wouldn't even be in this thread right now because Geno would have no chance, but lacking in fan demand on top of being a dead franchise isn't a good look.

I'm being as neutral as can be because I barely know Klonoa enough to hate him.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
I don't think so, since the Martin Straton Interview, all is going bad for DoomSlayer, He is implying that in Bethesda they want DoomSlayer playable, but Nintendo refused,
Marty Stratton works for Id, not Bethesda. That would be like Nintendo going to Rare instead of Microsoft for Banjo. It also both directly conflicts with Pepe Hines confirming that Bethesda has talked with Nintendo about Smash.
In said interview, Stratton never brings up Bethesda in regards to Smash and only ever said Nintendo never approached THEM, conveniently avoiding mention of a situation the other way around.

the miis arrive and then it is announced to Cacodemon, already be normal like Altair or goemon or it is sans style with E1M1
It's just a hat, it's not gonna get any sort of special treatment on its own unless it allows you to fly like a Cacodemon.
If Doom gets the Mii Costume treatment then it's gonna be with a classic Marine outfit (good thing it won't because Doom deserves better).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What Banjo remixes are bad? The whole point of them is to remix them so they're suited for battle. It wouldn't make any sense to put in any normal ones (besides Freezeezy) so of course they're going to be different.
Most of them. Main Theme feels rather subdued, while the original felt upbeat and rather goofy. Mumbo's Mountain is literally just the original song sped up. Mad Monster Mansion feels cartoony while the original was ominous. Who thought Surf Rock was a good idea for Gobi's Valley? Who? None of these sound good either, they all sound like generic Smash remix #240.

I can fight to environmental noises, which is the least suited for battle a "song" could possibly be.

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice
Most of them. Main Theme feels rather subdued, while the original felt upbeat and rather goofy. Mumbo's Mountain is literally just the original song sped up. Mad Monster Mansion feels cartoony while the original was ominous. Who thought Surf Rock was a good idea for Gobi's Valley? Who? None of these sound good either, they all sound like generic Smash remix #240.

I can fight to environmental noises, which is the least suited for battle a "song" could possibly be.
Even though it's called a remix? Also, comparing environmental noises to a remix is a complete and utter joke.

axel_

Smash Journeyman

How could you forget the biggest point against Banjo's remix of all: ZERO GRUNTILDA THEMES, whether it's Grunty's Lair or the final boss theme. Absolutely unforgivable move on both Sakurai and Microsoft's part.

D

Deleted member

Even though it's called a remix? Also, comparing environmental noises to a remix is a complete and utter joke.
yes, I know it's a remix, but at the very least they could do the original songs justice instead of butchering them

environmental noises is credited as a remix, also my point is that you can't complain about a song not being suited for battle when you have one that is literally just, well, "environmental noises"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom