• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
They don't have to say they "never happened". I don't understand the mentality that because sticker star and color splash were the most recent entries therefore everything has to stick to the same trajectory. Considering the reception to those games outside of Japan I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to have gone back to the drawing board to try and do something more like the first two Paper Mario games. The difference between Vivian and Geno is that lots of people want Geno in Smash including Sakurai himself. As a sidenote: I keep seeing people on Twitter bringing up Vivian as a character that would "make more sense" than Geno in Smash and like... Really? They've both only had one appearance (not counting Geno's M&L cameo) and yet Geno has way more fan demand to get into Smash than Vivian. I just don't really see it. They could use Paper Mario but tbh having a new PM game alongside Geno in Smash would be a celebration of two different iterations of Mario RPGs and Mario in general rather than just a promotion for the new PM game.
I mean for me the retconning the sticker star one is just because of the title of Paper Mario 3, while for Vivian i was saying she makes more sense if they're gonna advertise a Paper Mario game with a character. Like legit if they are going to do something with paper mario as a smash event, it's probably gonna be a character from paper mario, not one of the other mario rpgs. I think geno is more likely overall but Vivian is more likely to advertise a paper Mario game.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it ain't an April Fools joke if the fake leak was released BEFORE April 1st you prick. Anyway hey I like this year's joke. Maybe it's a sign...

CRASH BANDIKKU, CRASH BANDIKKU, CRASH BANDI-BANDIKKU

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I just got on today and I thought that everyone had a Crash profile picture because Crash was gonna be Fighter #7 or something, but then I looked at my own profile picture and I realized.

I am Crash.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'm guessing the majority of the world has a zero mood for April Fools jokes. I don't blame them, in a time where any good news is desperately needed.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
https://mobile.twitter.com/rakujira/status/1245241285167980544
There was a problem fetching the tweet

False alarm! Looks like that Flipnote thing was completely fake. Yet GameXplain still reported on it. Yikes
Well at least , quite some work was put into that false leak , and even if it's made by fans , I was happy to see some attention for Olimar and Chibi-Robo.

Also , I remember last year's april fools on Smashboard , everyone had Reggie profile pics !

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
gotta say its about damn time these boards sack up and give our man crash the respect and recognition he deserves. was pretty sick of people gushing about "geno" (how do you pronounce it, "jen-oh?") posting off topic nonsense when crash is the reason were all here

all jokes aside, a hearty hello and "our time is coming" sentiment to you all!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Well at least , quite some work was put into that false leak , and even if it's made by fans , I was happy to see some attention for Olimar and Chibi-Robo.

Also , I remember last year's april fools on Smashboard , everyone had Reggie profile pics !
I think I read where one year it was turned into the FE boards. Yea....doubt very much that would fly with people after Byleth.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think I read where one year it was turned into the FE boards. Yea....doubt very much that would fly with people after Byleth.
I'm pretty sure it was shortly after Corrin's release, so it has a similar reaction, with people using it to poke fun at Smash.

link2702

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Due to the condition of the world AND lack of basically any news on Nintendo's part for the past several months, you're a real ****hole if you're making elaborate fake leaks at a time where people just want a semblance of good news. Trick someone on actual April Fools day you cowards.
I kind of agree. I'm not sore about this in particular but nobody is in the mood for practical jokes right now... I almost had a panic attack in the ****in' craft beer section at the grocery store because of how things are going at the moment:

-Grandma's in the hospital with pneumonia.

-Uncle had a stroke and now in rehab in a hospital.

-Wife's unemployed because of Corona.

-I'm "essential."

-My workplace got confirmation of its first Corona case yesterday.

-Car has had the check engine light on for two weeks but I can't do **** about it because, you know, money.

-Missouri is handling Corona horribly to the point that there's now an online campaign to literally beg the governor to actually ****in' do something.

-My wife and I's Halloween Facebook focuses on local businesses and non-profits and, holy hell, that's scores of friends we're now trying to comfort and support.

-Work on a college campus so seeing a ton of students unemployed and some literally homeless because of all this is horrifying.

-County more or less came out and said they're not passing any strict measures for people staying home because of the local culture and most people would likely ignore it anyways.

Despite this, I'm still way better off than most people in this situation which gives me a nice helping of "survivor's guilt" too. Still... Barfed out that soliloquy just to further emphasize that nobody wants to deal with stuff like this right now. It was tone deaf to a legendary degree.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
It makes sense really. Look at us, running in a straight line. Sure, we may find a different path, break some boxes, find some gems. But in the end, we start at the start, and we end at the end. Truly, we are all Crash. Woah.

Geno for Smash.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Yea, in all honesty, could the thread title be changed? I really don't need to see any more references to this virus than I already have.

Hell, I'm all supportive of striking and barring the word 'Corona' from anything ever again when this thing is passed.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Woah, what's going on here? Why do I have an actual avatar that isn't a floating, disembodied M?
... this feels weird.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Can I ask why we're calling this supposed Paper Mario Switch game 'Paper Mario 3'?
Not a "we" thing, that's a me thing, though people understand what I'm talking about when I say it. The real PM3 is hardly a paper mario (it's more of a spin-off of the spin-off) and 4 and 5 are so abysmally bad that I pretend they don't exist. So to me, this rumor is about the *true* PM3.

While i desperately want a new traditional paper mario game, i doubt nintendo will just say sticker star and color splash never happened, especially when they were the best received Paper Mario Games in Japan.
Define "best received". Miyamoto himself said SS was boring during development (after he forced them to change away from a "too similar to TTYD" gameplay). CS is supposedly more or less the same thing.

If you're going by sales figures, that's horribly imbalanced in favor of later consoles.

Couldn't take the heat it seems
Almost like making April Fools jokes before 4/1 is a really **** move and people will get mad.

Hell, I'm all supportive of striking and barring the word 'Corona' from anything ever again when this thing is passed.
I won't be surprised if Corona beer is going to rename its brand because of you, plus all the idiots paranoid it causes the virus xD

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Guys, huge news! My dad's boyfriend's stepsister's cousin Bob Von Arugula the fifth just sent me this image revealing the next four fighters!

Character 1 is Min Min

Character 2 is Geno. His gimmick is that his neutral B causes Goombas to rain down. 1 in 20 Goombas wears a Geno hat.

Character 3 is Waluigi. His gimmick is that his neutral B summons small Piranha Plants in random locations. Sometimes they will do nothing, other times they will bite. Since his neutral B is RNG-based, you would expect his down B to also be RNG-based. But it's not. Unlike Peach, Waluigi always plucks a Bob-Omb when using down B.

Character 4 is Lickitung. Its gimmick is that its tongue homes in on you. No matter where you are. You could be on the opposite end of Great Cave Offensive and the tongue will still find you. When no one is playing as Lickitung, there is a 10% chance that the tongue will lick you anyway. Out of nowhere. You cannot escape it.

Behold, your next four fighters, in a clearly legit leak because it contains a Ken thumbs up:

Splash Screen: "Lickitung...uh...LICKS the competition!"

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Hey guys, I found some more interesting evidence pointing towards Crash Bandicoot being DLC!

So today while I was browsing GameFaqs, y’know, our favorite message site, I found a super cool leak from a user on there! He said that Geno is dead, Crash is FP6, and TooManyToastahs is to become mayor of the United States.

Well, you heard it here first folks! It seems that I’m now in charge around here, and Crash is pretty much confirmed. If you wanna praise me for this EPIC leak make sure to check out my soundcloud and also my paypa-

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Woah, what's going on here? Why do I have an actual avatar that isn't a floating, disembodied M?
... this feels weird.
I had no idea that M's were ever "embodied" to begin with.

On another note Fatmanonice Fatmanonice best wishes to you and your family. I can't imagine having to deal with and see all of that. I know I'm just some random doofus on the internet so it doesn't mean a whole lot but we're still Geno bros so just imagine me holding you in my arms and singing sweet lullabies to you cuz that's what Geno bros do for each other man.

On another other note, I'm digging the Crash love! Here's to hoping both him and Geno can make it in FP2.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys, I found some more interesting evidence pointing towards Crash Bandicoot being DLC!

So today while I was browsing GameFaqs, y’know, our favorite message site, I found a super cool leak from a user on there! He said that Geno is dead, Crash is FP6, and TooManyToastahs is to become mayor of the United States.

Well, you heard it here first folks! It seems that I’m now in charge around here, and Crash is pretty much confirmed. If you wanna praise me for this EPIC leak make sure to check out my soundcloud and also my paypa-
Very funny, wise guy! Nice April Fools joke, too.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
They're very related. Paper Mario for N64 was originally going to be SMRPG2. And even besides that SMRPG was the start of the Mario RPG series of titles that continued with Paper Mario and later Mario & Luigi which did have a Geno cameo. So obviously Nintendo sees them all as related to a certain degree.
What I meant was Geno would not be an advertisement for Paper Mario on the Switch, lol. Not every character needs to be a shill. Geno doesn’t need to be attached to some game to justify his possible appearance in Smash when 3/5 of Fighter Pass 1 wern’t really backed by any major Switch titles.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I'm guessing the majority of the world has a zero mood for April Fools jokes. I don't blame them, in a time where any good news is desperately needed.
I think a time of crisis or sadness is the absolute worst time to lose our sense of humor. The reactions I see to this swapnote thing being faked are, in my humble opinion, way overboard - if you're going to get upset about someone starting their prank a few days in advance of April Fools, you may as well get exactly this upset over every fake leak or outright lie ever posted, because they're all too far away from April Fools to be legitimate pranks.

Maybe I only feel this way because I wasn't personally invested in swapnote? Or because I saw through it? I kind of don't think so - even getting fully invested in the Grinch leak, the only thing that made it hurt to not be true was how awful reality was in comparison to it. We're not at a net loss here for this being fake, not as Geno fans, Smash fans, or even Nintendo fans. The Mario stuff is still on the table because it lines up with things Markomaro tweeted as far back as December. Unless he's the April Fool and has been planning for this big day for nearly four months, we're probably golden on that front... and even if that was fake too, well... **** it. Fake stuff gets posted all the time and festers for varying amounts of time before people forget about it or it gets outright disproved.

Just be happy that with the swapnote deal, the creator of the leak intended it to be a joke and came out with the fact that it was a joke - people get less upset over things that never provide us any closure and it just confuses the hell out of me, especially with how many glaring flaws there were in this leak - I mean, come on... wasn't June 8 mentioned in this thread as the timing for Nintendo's E3 and not June 10? And people really believed that Nintendo has this critical information floating around on some publicly accessible CDN? And that Giftpia would be part of an E3 presentation? Stuff just didn't add up to me.

If you're genuinely torn up about this being a hoax I don't know what else to say but I'm sorry it was that personal for you but do want to hit on that point that it being fake means nothing for Geno, good or bad, which is much better than say, cacomallow being proven false by this or something to that effect. Keep on keeping on, Geno Crashbros

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Mr. President, the Coronavirus is currently attacking my penis. What do I do?

zferolie

Smash Hero
So the flipnote leak was fake. Kinda a jerk m9ve to due that a few days before april fools day and with all the **** going on, but it was a really well made fake.

However. I am more worried about the mario news being fake now too.... is that possible? Do we have any word on the mario stuff being fake now too? I mean with the flipnote no actual news sites covered it, but the mario one has been covered at multiple places...

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
So the flipnote leak was fake. Kinda a jerk m9ve to due that a few days before april fools day and with all the **** going on, but it was a really well made fake.

However. I am more worried about the mario news being fake now too.... is that possible? Do we have any word on the mario stuff being fake now too? I mean with the flipnote no actual news sites covered it, but the mario one has been covered at multiple places...
I mean yeah it's possible. We have no actual confirmation of the Mario news from Nintendo so we can't say for sure that it's real. That being said, everyone and their mother knew about Dragon Quest content coming to Smash back in FP1 and this Mario stuff seems awfully similar to me with how abundantly people are corroborating it and how it has spread all over the internet. There was still a margin of error for those Dragon Quest rumors too but they panned out and we got Hero. I'm thinking at least some of these Mario rumors will also turn out to be true but I'm not convinced all of them will. We can't possibly know how much (if any) of these rumors will pan out, but I'm right there with you hoping it's all of them particularly a new Paper Mario and a Sunshine remake/remaster.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I kind of agree. I'm not sore about this in particular but nobody is in the mood for practical jokes right now... I almost had a panic attack in the ****in' craft beer section at the grocery store because of how things are going at the moment:

-I'm "essential."

-Car has had the check engine light on for two weeks but I can't do **** about it because, you know, money.

-Missouri is handling Corona horribly to the point that there's now an online campaign to literally beg the governor to actually ****in' do something.

-My wife and I's Halloween Facebook focuses on local businesses and non-profits and, holy hell, that's scores of friends we're now trying to comfort and support.

-Work on a college campus so seeing a ton of students unemployed and some literally homeless because of all this is horrifying.

-County more or less came out and said they're not passing any strict measures for people staying home because of the local culture and most people would likely ignore it anyways.

Despite this, I'm still way better off than most people in this situation which gives me a nice helping of "survivor's guilt" too. Still... Barfed out that soliloquy just to further emphasize that nobody wants to deal with stuff like this right now. It was tone deaf to a legendary degree.
I am so sorry to hear that

Firox

Smash Master
Mr. President, the Coronavirus is currently attacking my penis. What do I do?
The President: "Is it a 'good' attack or a flaccid attack? I think it's currently attacking my penis too."

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord

-I'm "essential."

Damn, this really sucks. Just goes to show how certain workforces get hugely screwed over in comparison to others with this whole ordeal, even if just about everyone is taking a toll. I always go into extreme anxiety mode when my car’s check engine light goes on. Can’t imagine what it’s like to drive with that anxiety. I feel especially bad for Grocery workers in particular, minimum wage and all, but in the end proving to be some of the most valuable workers in these trying times.

I’m not even worried about catching the virus myself, and i’ve had asthma in the past. I worry way more about catching it and then unintentionally affecting older loved ones AKA the people I have to live with. That’d haunt me for the rest of my life knowing that I infected my mom or dad and put them in a life-threatening condition.

Hope everything works out for you man, with a side of Geno in Smash, of course, when the time is right.

We have to try to get through April as fast as we can. Often times it feels like time moves way too fast but this is (annoyingly) one of those rare times where it seems like time is at a standstill. I just wanna fast forward to 2021 and forget this year ever existed lmao, aside from the great video game news we might be getting, such as 3D Mario games remastered, Paper Mario being more than a wad of paper thrown into a trash bin, and of course, Geno and maybe some other cool characters gettin’ into Smash.

(sorry for the off-topicy post, mods, just wanted to add to Fatman’s sentiment that now really isn’t the time for harsh April Fools’ jokes, even if I think that Flipnote thing wasn’t too bad, because I think he makes a good point)

D

Deleted member

The Mario stuff is months old information that just suddenly bust forth. It's a bit out of character for multiple reputable news sites to all decide to participate in the same April Fools prank based on a rumor that old.

If the Mario stuff is fake, that sucks, but it once again doesn't help or hurt Geno's chances. It's not like anyone busted down the door and said "the new Paper Mario is co-developed by Square and is Legend of the Seven Stars 2."

EDIT: Because it's been mentioned twice, 9 out of 10 times the check engine light in your car is a bull**** excuse literally programmed into the onboard computer to get you to take the thing back to the dealer every 10,000 miles. If you invest in a bluetooth car computer scanner you will never worry about that thing again and can even clear the error for another 10,000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I love how smashboards is now crashboards. :awesome: It is quite fitting since... well... Crash will most likely join Smash :awesome: (and Geno as well so LET'S MAKE SOME NOISE!!!)

As for the Super Mario 35th Anniversary EXTRAVAGANZA, I think it's legit. May thine hearts be at peace lads. Mario and his gang might save 2020.

Firox

Smash Master
If you invest in a bluetooth car computer scanner you will never worry about that thing again and can even clear the error for another 10,000 miles.
Dead serious, what is this "bluetooth car computer scanner" you speak of and where would one typically find these?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dead serious, what is this "bluetooth car computer scanner" you speak of and where would one typically find these?
Amazon. Just search for ODB2 scanner - they make them to connect to your phone via bluetooth or wifi. A friend has one and it's sick - shows tons of diagnostics, tells you if your engine is firing on all cylinders, your RPM, etc, and shows in relatively plain english why your error lights are on. Search your errors on google and find out if they're bull**** - if they are, clear them, if not, normally it's such a simple fix a youtube video can teach you how to do it as long as you have the tools and the time.

It's a wish granted by Geno himself.

Firox

Smash Master
Amazon. Just search for ODB2 scanner - they make them to connect to your phone via bluetooth or wifi. A friend has one and it's sick - shows tons of diagnostics, tells you if your engine is firing on all cylinders, your RPM, etc, and shows in relatively plain english why your error lights are on. Search your errors on google and find out if they're bull**** - if they are, clear them, if not, normally it's such a simple fix a youtube video can teach you how to do it as long as you have the tools and the time.

It's a wish granted by Geno himself.
Indeed! If I had the gif of Geno doing the twirl-victory sign, I'd insert it here.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I see people worried about the Mario stuff but it's likely real. One of my contacts was pretty confident that Zelda and Mario were going to be the main focuses of E3 2020... Back in August. Since then, a lot has come out in support of the Mario part with things like Sunshine and Paper Mario technically being traceable to intel from the fall. Plus, Nintendo's kind of already flexed Mario a decent amount this year with updates on Super Nintendo World and Nintendo officially teaming up with Levis and LEGOS and that's all non-gaming stuff.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
However. I am more worried about the mario news being fake now too.... is that possible?
It's possible all of that *besides PM3* was faked too. I mean PM3 could also be fake, but at the very least, we've known about that for awhile.
TBH though I do think the Mario stuff (like SMS/SM64 HD) is legit.

The Mario stuff is months old information that just suddenly bust forth. It's a bit out of character for multiple reputable news sites to all decide to participate in the same April Fools prank based on a rumor that old.
Source? I don't remember hearing about that stuff awhile back. The only thing I remember was last summer having that very high-quality render of Mario eating a watermelon and everyone flipping their lid that SMS HD was "confirmed".

I see people worried about the Mario stuff but it's likely real.
TBH I'm feeling that it's likely to be real as well since Nintendo's been radio silent and gave us nothing for this year from last year's Q3/4 direct nor this year's Q1 direct, so yeah, they have plans. They won't just silently go down as Sony and Microsoft take over.

One of my contacts was pretty confident that Zelda and Mario were going to be the main focuses of E3 2020... Back in August.
... Zelda? So like, BOTW2 news I suspect? I can't think of anything else that would be Zelda-worthy unless they're doing some big thing for Zelda too (which I doubt).

Since then, a lot has come out in support of the Mario part with things like Sunshine and Paper Mario technically being traceable to intel from the fall.
I actually didn't know about this. I thought the start of PM3 was with Zippo back in Feb/late Jan(?). Glad to hear PM3 (and SMS HD to a lesser extent) has been around way longer!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom