• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
You mentioned that Mario already has a lot of recognizable characters in Smash. This is true. On the other hand, why does that justify adding someone that is obscure.
Because all the mainstays of the franchise are here. Why would they care who else they could put in after a low-level mook of a plant that is so common that practically nobody has ever subconsciously thought of their existence?

Smash has included tons of recognizable characters so this point is a bit nonsensical. This is why we have Inkling, Isabelle and why each game gets a new Pokemon. Nintendo clearly cares about adding characters people know. Nintendo doesn't add completely random characters; even the more niche characters are prominent enough that people will recognize them.
Yeah, cuz Richter and King K. Rool were definitely a household name.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, we'll find out what tomorrow brings regarding this supposed hack going on and whether it's worth discussing further regarding Geno's chances.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I guess to start, your point on promotion is all over the place because you are saying Nintendo doesn't do promotion but they also do promotion. All I care is they have done it and can do it again. If ARMS and Byleth are "promotion" then we can say Nintendo can do it again. That's all that needs to be said on that.

Now, on the meat of the post. I think the issue is that you're a bit lost with what I'm trying to convey, so let me start with a summary. From rumors, Nintendo was/is planning to have a big event for the 35th Anniversary. They were planning to have a physical event which they haven't done since the Switch was unveiled and they haven't had a press conference at E3 since 2012. Clearly this was a big deal. So, it's not unreasonable to think Nintendo would include Smash in this. They've done it with other DLC characters and they did something similar for Smash 4. In short, Nintendo may add a character that is to promote Mario's 35th Anniversary. Now, hopefully we are on the same page here.

This is why they want someone recognizable. They want someone who can be put with a lot of other Mario content without being odd. Could they have a Mario theme spirit board. You'd want someone who is general enough that they appear in a lot of Mario titles. This is why you'd probably want someone from the general cast. Waluigi would work. He's in a lot of the Mario spin-off games. Toad, Toadette or Captain Toad could work too. They're in a lot of games too and Captain Toad has his own game. Geno wouldn't work because he could only be centered around that one game (also Nintendo doesn't own him so there's that too). Basically, Geno doesn't scream "35th Anniversary".

You mentioned that Mario already has a lot of recognizable characters in Smash. This is true. On the other hand, why does that justify adding someone that is obscure. Why shouldn't Nintendo want to add recognizable characters. You mention that Nintendo "doesn't appeal to a general audience." Smash has included tons of recognizable characters so this point is a bit nonsensical. This is why we have Inkling, Isabelle and why each game gets a new Pokemon. Nintendo clearly cares about adding characters people know. Nintendo doesn't add completely random characters; even the more niche characters are prominent enough that people will recognize them.
I never said Nintendo doesn't pick promotional picks. They do. What I'm saying is that they've also picked characters that aren't. If you can argue Nintendo will do a promotional pick again because they've done it in the past, then the flip side is that I can also argue that Nintendo can also pick characters that don't necessarily boost them in a huge way. I'm saying that the idea of Nintendo doing another promotional pick isn't enough to put Geno out of the running at all because they've also done non promotional picks. Hopefully that clarifies what I meant

And to address Geno not being a main cast character, and not screaming 35th Anniversary, that hardly matters. Mario has done more than just platformer games. The Mario RPGs are a section of Mario that are constantly talked about online. I could also argue it's just as important to celebrate all aspects of Mario, not just the main ones. Geno is also arguably the most predicted character for Volume 2. Many prominent YouTubers have brought him up and he still is relatively high on fan polls. Believe it or not, but Nintendo does pay attention to this group. And as shown time and time again, they have catered to it. They can easily cater to this group again for Mario's 35th anniversary. They can sway ether way, and along as that's the case Geno is still on the table as a potential Mario rep

To continue with this point, the main problem with the argument that Nintendo would put a more recognizable character over a niche one is that there's already been a similar case of this happening specifically with Microsoft. Nintendo collaborated with them to include a character of theirs in Smash. If we're following your logic, then they would go for someone "recognizable". Someone general that has appeared in many games. Sounds a lot more like Steve or Master Chief rather than Banjo. Guess which one got in? It's not exactly the same scenario, but it's proof that yes, Nintendo can pick whoever they want regardless of relevance. Sakurai himself stated it's more important if a character is more fun to play rather if they are relevant or not. I have no clue why people keep using relevancy as a point against Geno

Mario having a bunch of recognizable characters doesn't justify a niche character should be added sure, but it certainly makes it easier for a niche character to be added when all the major players are already in. That's why I'm saying that I don't think Nintendo would be extremely hesitant on Geno because they already have a lot of major Mario characters, so one niche one won't hurt them in anyway. Especially since it's Mario and you can literally slap it on anything and it will be a guaranteed success

Also I never said Nintendo doesn't appeal to the general audience at all. You must've misread. What I said was:

Nintendo doesn't care about specifically catering to the general public
Key word being specifically. Meaning that they do cater the general audience, just not with every single pick. If Nintendo was concerned about whether or not every character was recognizable to the general public, then why go for Banjo over Steve? Why choose Terry? And Joker? Those are not picks that I would describe as "general audience picks". And as long as that's the case, then there isn't exactly any major roadblocks for Geno getting in

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
It has been confirmed that the next Spirit Event is Animal Crossing, with new spirits from New Horizons coming as well.
I’m very curious what this means for Luigi’s Mansion 3, as it’s pretty much the only Switch release from 2019 that still hasn’t gotten a Spirit Event.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Well, we'll find out what tomorrow brings regarding this supposed hack going on and whether it's worth discussing further regarding Geno's chances.
It's practically not worth even looking at anything tomorrow. If it drops before midnight that's one thing, but dropping on 4/1, it's like, why bother.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Just remember, tomorrow is April Fools Day so don't take everything you hear regarding a Nintendo Leak as 100% truth.

Geno fans are a prime target for garbage level human beings looking to harass and fool anyone who stands on his side. I don't want to get burned again like I did with :ultpiranha:

Just remain level headed and be mindful of anything you hear. Especially within the next 48 hours (just to be on the safe side)

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
It has been confirmed that the next Spirit Event is Animal Crossing, with new spirits from New Horizons coming as well.
I’m very curious what this means for Luigi’s Mansion 3, as it’s pretty much the only Switch release from 2019 that still hasn’t gotten a Spirit Event.
I know Spirit events are for tie in promotional purposes primarily, but I would love to get spirit events for old first party games whose spirits aren't in yet out of nowhere. Like Nintendo just out of the blue announces a spirit event for Metroid Prime Hunters or something.

D

Deleted member

How could King Boo even make Smash fans buy Luigi’s Mansion 3 even though Luigi is the biggest star? You could say the same thing for Geno is not the star but Mario is but Geno is one of the most wanted characters at the moment. Since he is very popular to only Smash fans, he could make them play Mario RPG for the first time on NSO to play has him if not a remastered game. King Boo on the other hand, is not even playable...

Last edited by a moderator:

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
I’m still thinking about the Mario rumors man

64, Sunshine, AND Galaxy all remastered
3D World Ultra Turbo HD Remix
A new good Paper Mario

AND Geno’s getting into Smash this year. Crazy times we live in.
I can't express in words how excited I was when I heard about the 3d Mario "Allstars" coming to the switch. At first I was super skeptical but the fact that Venturebeat came out and confirmed it makes me really think this is real.

This could be an AMAZING year for Mario fans, and even us Geno fans.

If Geno got into smash on top of this I would be so happy.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
You could say the same thing for Geno is not the star but Mario is
I assume you're saying that Geno isn't a main character, which is incorrect. There is a distinct difference between main character(s) and protagonists. Geno has a primary focus in the game alongside Mallow, Peach, and Bowser and is integral to the events, therefore he is a main character. Mario is the protagonist, who is the driving force of the plot. Hell, with context of his backstory, mission and ending you could even go as far as to say Geno could be a protagonist.

D

Deleted member

I assume you're saying that Geno isn't a main character, which is incorrect. There is a distinct difference between main character(s) and protagonists. Geno has a primary focus in the game alongside Mallow, Peach, and Bowser and is integral to the events, therefore he is a main character. Mario is the protagonist, who is the driving force of the plot. Hell, with context of his backstory, mission and ending you could even go as far as to say Geno could be a protagonist.
I know that all along. I’m not trying to say Geno isn’t a main character. All I meant was that Mario is obviously the biggest face of the game. And technically, Geno is not actually a protagonist but more of a dueteragonist.

Last edited by a moderator:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah, cuz Richter
Alright you had me here.

and King K. Rool were definitely a household name.
But you lost me here. Whether he was known by everyone or not, he was absolutely one of the biggest names in Smash for nearly a decade, second only to Rid.

Not to detract from the rest of your point. To add to your point though, this random, obscure, character known as a Geno is by all means THE most popular character right now so if Nintendo sees that then that’ll subside anything to do with relevancy or obscurity as shown by K. Rool and Banjo.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Inb4 SMAS2 is a fake. Paper Mario 3 has had a rumor for awhile though so the most important one is still potentially legit. ;)

Last edited:

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Hey Genobros. Been a while since I've been able to thoroughly participate in Geno or Smash Ultimate discussions. I've heard about the Mario Anniversary rumours, but is there anything else that I've missed or worth noting recently in relation to Geno?

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
https://mobile.twitter.com/rakujira/status/1245241285167980544
There was a problem fetching the tweet

False alarm! Looks like that Flipnote thing was completely fake. Yet GameXplain still reported on it. Yikes
Not overly shocked, whole thing seemed kinda fishy to me to begin with. Never payed too much attention to this one because meh, but having things like revealing Nintendo's entire E3 2020 lineup in Flipnote always felt suspicious. Oh well, time to go back to screeching at each other in the dark.

Griselda

Smash Lord

I was sort of expecting something like this, but it's still sort of funny, actually. I wasn't really all that invested enough to be disappointed.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Hey Genobros. Been a while since I've been able to thoroughly participate in Geno or Smash Ultimate discussions. I've heard about the Mario Anniversary rumours, but is there anything else that I've missed or worth noting recently in relation to Geno?
- Paper Mario 3 rumors; SMRPG was the spiritual predecessor of Paper Mario. Geno could low-key be used to advertise for the game.
- ARMS rep is extremely likely to be one of the five spirits, as they're the most popular and two of them are the mascot characters. This would tear down the "Spirits Deconfirm" fanrule wall a lot of people throw in argument against Geno.
- If you've been gone for a long while, I recommend checking out the link in my signature where I (and others have greatly helped) have compiled most of the rumors and other stuff that may point to or help Geno's chances.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
- Paper Mario 3 rumors; SMRPG was the spiritual predecessor of Paper Mario. Geno could low-key be used to advertise for the game.
- ARMS rep is extremely likely to be one of the five spirits, as they're the most popular and two of them are the mascot characters. This would tear down the "Spirits Deconfirm" fanrule wall a lot of people throw in argument against Geno.
- If you've been gone for a long while, I recommend checking out the link in my signature where I (and others have greatly helped) have compiled most of the rumors and other stuff that may point to or help Geno's chances.
Can I ask why we're calling this supposed Paper Mario Switch game 'Paper Mario 3'? Isn't it, like.. six, at this point? If it's a case of something like disowning the later titles, I'd think Super should still count, since it has the same character art style (for the characters from Mario's universe, anyway) and the same sort of tone and storytelling as the first two. The first three work well as a trilogy, thematically, too - with an increasing threat level every game (Kingdom, Planet, Universe+)

pinshadow

Smash Lord
https://mobile.twitter.com/rakujira/status/1245241285167980544
There was a problem fetching the tweet

False alarm! Looks like that Flipnote thing was completely fake. Yet GameXplain still reported on it. Yikes
Gotta admit, first time in awhile I've actually gotten baited by something like this. Now that I really think about it the idea of a new Mystery Dungeon being announced 3 months after the remake released was a dead giveaway for this being fake but whatever. Atleast I can be content with the fact that Source Gaming, Sabi, and even Gamexplain all got Bamboozled to an extent.

I'm not really mad about it being fake (mostly due to the fact that most of the announcements actually teased by it are probably happening anyway. Prime 4 is confirmed and the Trilogy feels inevitable. Skyward Sword HD will no doubt come eventually, same thing with Pikmin 3. All the 3D Mario news still seems extremely likely given that literally everyone is corroborating it, and I suppose Paper Mario is an extension with that, but I still have no faith in it being a return to form.) I'm more mad about how they handled it. Why the hell would you start an April Fool's day prank 3 days before? It's not even like it's a joke, it's just "We made a fake flipnote mockup to... get a bunch of diehard flipnote fans excited just to shoot them down?" What even is the joke? I get people shouldn't be harrassing them but they aren't handling this well. When Omni did it it was a stunt but atleast he actually went in depth with how he made it.

EDIT: Wow, Gamexplain UNLISTED their video on it. Can't even handle being wrong ONCE? Christ.

Last edited:

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Thanks so much, Polarthief!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I gotta give those guys credit for a realistic fake leak because, like I said yesterday, nothing was unreasonable and was backed by other rumors, even if they were old. On that note, like Pinshadow said, most of the stuff shown is probably going to happen this year or next anyways.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
If you do your April Fools joke on a day that's not April 1st then it's not an April Fools joke. You're just being a ****. Most of the things in the fake leak were heavily rumored and very likely to happen anyway (probably why they were chosen) but it's still annoying that they got people's hopes up by purposely releasing it before April 1st to be more believable. The good part is that means Mario's partners aren't likely going to be (just) from TTYD leaving open the possibility for a Geno/Mallow appearance.

this is a pretty big reach lmao

They’re unrelated
They're very related. Paper Mario for N64 was originally going to be SMRPG2. And even besides that SMRPG was the start of the Mario RPG series of titles that continued with Paper Mario and later Mario & Luigi which did have a Geno cameo. So obviously Nintendo sees them all as related to a certain degree.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Concidering the timing, I can¨t say that I¨m surprised when it comes to that Flipnote leak being fake.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
While i desperately want a new traditional paper mario game, i doubt nintendo will just say sticker star and color splash never happened, especially when they were the best received Paper Mario Games in Japan. As for it's connection to SMRPG, while i do think a remake of the first 2 could lead to talks of a remake/remaster of it, i highly doubt they'd use Geno in place of an actual Paper Mario character, like Vivian or even Paper Mario himself.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Due to the condition of the world AND lack of basically any news on Nintendo's part for the past several months, you're a real ****hole if you're making elaborate fake leaks at a time where people just want a semblance of good news. Trick someone on actual April Fools day you cowards.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
While i desperately want a new traditional paper mario game, i doubt nintendo will just say sticker star and color splash never happened, especially when they were the best received Paper Mario Games in Japan. As for it's connection to SMRPG, while i do think a remake of the first 2 could lead to talks of a remake/remaster of it, i highly doubt they'd use Geno in place of an actual Paper Mario character, like Vivian or even Paper Mario himself.
They don't have to say they "never happened". I don't understand the mentality that because sticker star and color splash were the most recent entries therefore everything has to stick to the same trajectory. Considering the reception to those games outside of Japan I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to have gone back to the drawing board to try and do something more like the first two Paper Mario games. The difference between Vivian and Geno is that lots of people want Geno in Smash including Sakurai himself. As a sidenote: I keep seeing people on Twitter bringing up Vivian as a character that would "make more sense" than Geno in Smash and like... Really? They've both only had one appearance (not counting Geno's M&L cameo) and yet Geno has way more fan demand to get into Smash than Vivian. I just don't really see it. They could use Paper Mario but tbh having a new PM game alongside Geno in Smash would be a celebration of two different iterations of Mario RPGs and Mario in general rather than just a promotion for the new PM game.

OffBi

Smash Ace
WAIT WHAT THE, I'M CRASH
Anyways, remember that user who created that flipnote leak and later said that it was an april fools joke?
Well, he locked his account
lockdown.PNG

Couldn't take the heat it seems

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
YES, CRASHBOARDS.

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WO-okay i'll stop.
WAIT WHAT THE, I'M CRASH
Anyways, remember that user who created that flipnote leak and later said that it was an april fools joke?
Well, he locked his account
View attachment 267959
Couldn't take the heat it seems
If the Mario remasters stuff is fake..........oh boy.

Though i do think Paper Mario is coming regardless of rumors and wheter be good or a piece of colored stickered ****, because it fits the release schedule perfectly.

Paper Mario: 1999

TTYD: 2004

SPM: 2007

SS: 2012

CP: 2016

The series tends to be released in a 3-5 year span.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Man, I must agree, that joke was not cool. I have seen better.

On another note: I guess you could say with today’s board joke, these forums have Crashed?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even if the flipnote thing is fake, it's very unlikely the Mario celebration and remasters were faked too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom