• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Someone on Gamefaqs said "the first picture says E3 2020 presentation. Leads me to believe that maybe the presentation was going to take place IN Flipnote? These would be the headers for whenever they shift topics. Some of this stuff is just too random to display in a video advertising a new Flipnote for Switch."

That would certainly be a unique way of doing a presentation.
Oh gosh, that means likely Paper Mario and Pikmin (4?) reveals in June :o

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Someone on Gamefaqs said "the first picture says E3 2020 presentation. Leads me to believe that maybe the presentation was going to take place IN Flipnote? These would be the headers for whenever they shift topics. Some of this stuff is just too random to display in a video advertising a new Flipnote for Switch."

That would certainly be a unique way of doing a presentation.
Or it could be used as a place holder for the actual slides! Perhaps it could have been used as a presentation tool to plan out the Direct.

"Alright, so here are my slide ideas. Ringing g in the new decade with some Mario!"

Or something like that.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I believe in these Mario Remaster rumors about as much as Metroid Prime Trilogy HD rumors. Which is to say not at all.

So Geno's chances don't change in my mind all that much.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So I definitely think 3 reveals around "E3" is a possibility. But I truly believe them when they say that the ARMS character is taking longer than expected and that things are getting backed up by all this virus nonsense so it wouldn't surprise me if the initial plan involved ARMS release in April with 2 reveals at E3 but then ARMS rep got pushed back to June. Now it's a matter of whether they decide to still reveal those 2 characters or just one of them alongside the ARMS rep(s). I really feel like things are going to keep getting worse for awhile before getting better so I'd imagine it's more likely we will see the ARMS reveal plus one other reveal at "E3" since progress has likely been delayed.
Y'know, I've been thinking. Because it very much seems that the virus won't be passing until around next year, maybe we won't be getting anything in terms of reveals come June due to the virus, and instead they'll just end up putting all the Direct stuff in an early September Direct instead.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Guys, if they're gonna be super "Mario-based" this "E3", I can't really think of any potential Smash characters besides Waluigi and/or Geno, y'know? ;)

Seriously, it now makes perfect sense why, assuming Geno's getting in, he'd be revealed at E3.

Now more than ever for sure. I know it's a lot of assumptions, but these Mario rumors just add to his chances even further... enough to the point where I'm probably gonna add it to the list =)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Guys, if they're gonna be super "Mario-based" this "E3", I can't really think of any potential Smash characters besides Waluigi and/or Geno, y'know? ;)
And Paper Mario.

All 3 are pretty clearly missing(Toad too, but being a core part of Peach's moveset is quite different from a Spirit or AT or a quick Final Smash).

So three cool options. Obviously Geno should be hoped for the most(at least on this thread, heh).

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Or it could be used as a place holder for the actual slides! Perhaps it could have been used as a presentation tool to plan out the Direct.

"Alright, so here are my slide ideas. Ringing g in the new decade with some Mario!"

Or something like that.
Another option is that it could be screenshots for a trailer they would reveal at E3. The posts while matching rumors, don't even directly spoil anything so it'd be safe if they revealed this midway through the presentation, especially if some of the announcements the sketches are referencing are revealed earlier in the presentation

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Or Captain Toad, or King Boo (no Luigi's Mansion 3 Spirits yet). There's a lot they can go with. If they are focusing on Mario though, it wouldn't bode well for Geno as they likely picked someone that would represent Mario as a whole. Geno only represents the one title and I don't see them doing two Mario characters. Don't think this would help him.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Or Captain Toad, or King Boo (no Luigi's Mansion 3 Spirits yet). There's a lot they can go with. If they are focusing on Mario though, it wouldn't bode well for Geno as they likely picked someone that would represent Mario as a whole. Geno only represents the one title and I don't see them doing two Mario characters. Don't think this would help him.
I mean, I'm not digging on Captain Toad or King Boo whatsoever, but Geno has a bigger fan support. He's a very similar pick to King K Rool, Ridley, and Banjo which were long requested. What better way to celebrate Mario then to reveal that one of the most requested Smash characters, whom is from Mario, is in Smash. I don't think it hurts his chances at all

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Toad too, but being a core part of Peach's moveset is quite different from a Spirit or AT or a quick Final Smash
Yeah, plus I don't see it happening.

Captain Toad
Not to be that guy, but I really don't see this happening. Not being able to jump is a core part of his character, and if he could suddenly jump... yeah...

King Boo (no Luigi's Mansion 3 Spirits yet)
I just don't see this happening either.

There's a lot they can go with.
But like, why though? Is anyone asking for Captain Toad (who has had one game, and a minigame-esque series in SM3DW) or King Boo (who has mostly only been in Luigi's Mansion)? I'm more surprised you didn't say Birdo TBH as s/he's been in way more titles (even SMRPG!).

Meanwhile, Waluigi's the big ??? as to why he's still missing, being the last "main secondary" character, and Geno is a huge fan favorite that has also sparked the Mario RPG series (Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi). Not to mention...

And Paper Mario.
Geno only represents the one title and I don't see them doing two Mario characters. Don't think this would help him.
Assuming the PM3 rumor is true SmashChu SmashChu , unless they were adding Paper Mario as a fighter, Geno would definitely make the most sense as they could now spin a THIRD PARTY CHARACTER, that is ALSO HEAVILY REQUESTED, into a bit of an advertisement! Imagine the field day Nintendo would have, giving a large group of fans what they want while it also being an advertisement? Huge win-win for them. The Sakurai video would obviously go over SMRPG that then led into Paper Mario, and oh how convenient, "Paper Mario 3, coming XYZ date!" and everyone behind the scenes would laugh at Sakurai's cheekiness, plus myself.

So just to remind you, Geno may have only been in one game, but he still spiritually represents Paper Mario and even Mario & Luigi as well to a smaller extent.

I mean, I'm not digging on Captain Toad or King Boo whatsoever, but Geno has a bigger fan support. He's a very similar pick to King K Rool, Ridley, and Banjo which were long requested. What better way to celebrate Mario then to reveal that one of the most requested Smash characters, whom is from Mario, is in Smash. I don't think it hurts his chances at all
Exactly. I do not see why they would go with King Boo or Captain Toad over Geno. Captain Toad's been out even on Switch for awhile now and let's be honest, practically no one (if even anyone) is asking for him. King Boo I see a few, very few requests, but he represents LM more than anything, not so much Mario (and TBH neither does Captain Toad). It's Geno's time to shine.

Last edited:

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
face it, there always was going to be and always will be fan rules placed against Geno until he is confirmed for the game

People are always going to find x reason as to why character y won’t get in the game. The actual reason? They don’t want the character in the game, and they’re asspulling to find actual reasons why they cant be in
I feel like that's the reason some people think assist trophies can't be upgraded. Some people don't want Spring Man and would rather another ARMS rep like Min Min or Ribbon girl, so they say that Spring Man can't be the rep because he's already an assist trophy.

From a technical perspective, there's absolutely no reason why Spring Man can't be both an assist trophy and a playable character. Certain assist trophies are disabled under certain conditions like Alucard when playing on Wii Fit Studio, so there's no reason why they can't disable Spring Man's assist trophy when someone is playing as the character.

So yeah, I agree that some people just use these "rules" to deconfirm characters they don't personally want.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Ok ok, I better get this out before April 1st rolls around and I'm inevitably forced to go full ****posting mode.

Sooooo, ARMS. I've seen a lot of mixed opinions about Fighter Pass 2 starting out with an unspecified rep from that game both in this thread and outside of it, but honestly? Even though I only got to play ARMS a couple days ago once Nintendo "lent" it for free for NSO subscribers (and yes, it's free to download right this very moment, so go get it before it's too late), I not only am pretty happy with this news, but, I also think this might potentially be the biggest boon Geno has gotten a long time!

About the choice itself, I think it makes sense to give ARMS a bit of a spotlight in Smash, even if later rather than sooner. The game is Nintendo's own weird yet charming take on the 1v1 fighting genre, with the matches being fought at long distance in a 3D arena by means of the fighters' coil shaped arms of all things, with customizable hands unique to each fighter, each with strengths and drawbacks, an attack/shield/grab dynamic similar to Smash, a good few modes, a fresh soundtrack and a cast of characters that's colorful in every sense of the word. From what I've played, it's not quite what I'd pay 60 bucks for but hey, that's most first party Switch releases for ya. Basically what I'm trying to say is, it's a pretty novel IP with much of what makes other Nintendo games great and even though it's not for everyone, it could definitely use a little boost. Certainly not a flop like some peeps have suggested, but when put side by side with Splatoon, another relatively new franchise, it just makes sense to try and replicate a bit of that success, ya know?

... yeah, but that's whatever. Let's talk characters now! One thing even the most cynical of us can agree is that the cast of ARMS is probably its strongest point. We have 15 guys and gals (and robots... and mummies... and DNA blob things... and...) and all of them are pretty likeable and memorable in their own right. They have enough to fill three Fighter Passes with, but Imma be real, there are only really a few I think even have a chance. First off, I'd do away with all of the DLC folk. Sorry Max, you're gonna have to kick Brass somewhere else. They aren't as recognizable as the base game characters and haven't had as much time to make an impression on people, either. Of the 10 characters left, 5 of them stand out in terms of popularity, and would you know, those just so happen to be the ones who already have Spirits in Smash Ultimate. Springman, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min and Thicctel- um, Twintelle. All of those are pretty solid choices and I'd be happy with any, but if I had to bet, our fighter will be one of two outcomes:

1. Springman/Ribbon Girl/Ninjara/Min Min combo. This is the best and most likely of the two, I'd say. You have the two most heavily pushed characters by Nintendo and arguably the posterboy and girl of the game and you have the two most popular male and female characters respectively all in one package? Sounds like a deal! Now I know that each of them have their own personalities and differences in combat, but the way I see it, come on, it's not like we haven't seen alts having different animations (see: :ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf:), and creative liberties aren't a new thing to Smash anyway. Some of :ultness:'s moves are derived from Paula and Poo, for frick's sake. I think we'd be fine if they all had shared attacks from each other.

2. Min Min solo. This one seems especially likely to me seeing the ARMS Crash Bash resulting in Min Min voted as the most popular character, and the timing of it being suspiciously close to when Nintendo might've decided on fighter 6 as Lord Woomy Lord Woomy pointed out. While I'd prefer the former outcome just so we can have some of the other characters, I'm pretty cool with this too. From what I've played of ARMS, Min Min was the one who I most had fun with, what, with her speed and that awesome laser spitting dragon hand of hers. Plus, she cute. So Min Min for the Win Win.

So, in order for me to not be blasted with a warni-, I mean, to get back on-topic and conclude this post, what does this all have to do with Geno? Simple, pretty much every single outcome is massively beneficial to our boi in some way. Even in the off chance they go with a character who isn't one of those 5 ARMS Spirits, just the fact Nintendo gave the thumbs up for a Smash fighter to be from an already represented franchise even going into FP2 is a small point in favor of him if nothing else. And in the best case scenario, where we do get one of said Spirits as fighter 6... GUYS. THIS IS IT! The one "potential" thing that could keep Geno away... GONE. That's nothing to scoff at. It'll be a pretty incredible sight to see the "spirits deconfirm" argument we've been tirelessly discussing the past several months fall flat in its face with one fell punch from several meters away. And if Springman specifically gets to be a fighter, the Assist Trophy and Mii Costume arguments are also to be thrown in the trash too, potentially opening the door for fans of such characters too. AFSHSFADAJAGF, I'm excited!

Even if you're not really looking forward to the ARMS rep, at least let that be a silver lining: this will likely be paving the way for Geno and other similar characters to come. So stay strong, stay positive, bros. We've got this.

tl;dr: Ha, you just got duped! Bamboozled! Smeckledorfed! The real ARMS rep is gonna be Cacomallow and you can't convince me otherwise.

cacomallow arms.png

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I¨m with SmashChu SmashChu here. No matter if this supposed Mario madness/Flipnote rumor is true or not, I can¨t see them going with more then one Mario character. And if I had to guess, it would be Geno. He is a fan favorite+someone Sakurai legit want himself.

Waluigi, on the other hand, is a character that Nintendo never takes seriously and will most likely never will. They haven¨t even put him in a Wario Ware game for heaven sakes. Yes, I know about the whole WSJ interview, but it could just be a corporate PR talk in order for people to "calm down" and nothing more. Also, if this pass is truly based on "fairness" as Fatman has claimed months back, then I can¨t see how it is "fair" to have the same franchise get two of the 6 supposed slots. Especially when people ask for the representation of other franchises. If Waluigi truly were a "bonus" it would have made more sense to make him a Piranha Plant (free for you that pre-purchase the fighters pass but cost x less separately then what a "normal" fighter would.) If there are bonuses, then it will be to fill the remaining dummy slots as a third wave.

Granted, there could also be the possibility of Waluigi getting in instead of Geno :/. The fact that they opened with Arms after the Byleth fiasco begs the question of the budget for the entire pack (could it just be based on leftover money only?). Waluigi would obviously be cheaper to create after all concidering he would not be behind the Square Enix paywall. But sure, I could be wrong and we get both.

All 3 are pretty clearly missing(Toad too, but being a core part of Peach's moveset is quite different from a Spirit or AT or a quick Final Smash).
Speaking of Toad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ci-V9HzXV0&t=53s

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Yeah, plus I don't see it happening.

Not to be that guy, but I really don't see this happening. Not being able to jump is a core part of his character, and if he could suddenly jump... yeah...

I just don't see this happening either.

But like, why though? Is anyone asking for Captain Toad (who has had one game, and a minigame-esque series in SM3DW) or King Boo (who has mostly only been in Luigi's Mansion)? I'm more surprised you didn't say Birdo TBH as s/he's been in way more titles (even SMRPG!).

Meanwhile, Waluigi's the big ??? as to why he's still missing, being the last "main secondary" character, and Geno is a huge fan favorite that has also sparked the Mario RPG series (Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi). Not to mention...

Assuming the PM3 rumor is true SmashChu SmashChu , unless they were adding Paper Mario as a fighter, Geno would definitely make the most sense as they could now spin a THIRD PARTY CHARACTER, that is ALSO HEAVILY REQUESTED, into a bit of an advertisement! Imagine the field day Nintendo would have, giving a large group of fans what they want while it also being an advertisement? Huge win-win for them. The Sakurai video would obviously go over SMRPG that then led into Paper Mario, and oh how convenient, "Paper Mario 3, coming XYZ date!" and everyone behind the scenes would laugh at Sakurai's cheekiness, plus myself.

So just to remind you, Geno may have only been in one game, but he still spiritually represents Paper Mario and even Mario & Luigi as well to a smaller extent.

Exactly. I do not see why they would go with King Boo or Captain Toad over Geno. Captain Toad's been out even on Switch for awhile now and let's be honest, practically no one (if even anyone) is asking for him. King Boo I see a few, very few requests, but he represents LM more than anything, not so much Mario (and TBH neither does Captain Toad). It's Geno's time to shine.
TBH I would absolutely love a Captain Toad/Toadette duo fighter ala Ice Climbers style and it wouldn't bother me one bit to see them jumping. King Boo would be the first levitating fighter and would be incredibly difficult to balance but once I start thinking about having a royal levitating incorporeal spherical evil Lickitung in Smash I just can't not want him to make it too. Paper Mario would be fun too. Kamek is perhaps my top choice for another Marioverse character altho he could be considered Yoshi character too I guess. Anyway I think there are plenty of people who want these characters or other Mario characters for good reasons and that is fine as the franchise has so many beloved characters with a ton of unique Smash potential, but obviously Waluigi and Geno are the characters with the big fan followings that have staying power. And as you said Geno doesn't just represent one game; he represents the very first venture that Mario games had into the delightful genre of RPG and that's a HUGE deal. Nothing against Waluigi as you gotta love to hate him, but Waluigi has absolutely no claim to fame like that. I could see Paper Mario getting the spot, but I agree that Geno makes the most sense due to fan demand and all that he represents not to mention that Sakurai himself sees our boy as a good fit.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Don’t get me wrong, I really hope this Mario rumor pans out, but even if it does, it doesn’t really mean much for Geno either way. For one, we don’t even know if this is what Nintendo was going to focus on for E3, and even if they were, last year’s “focus” was on Luigi’s Mansion and Pokémon—neither of which had anything to do with Smash.

You could argue that Dragon Quest was shown and we got Hero, which is true, but the DQXIS:EoaEA-DE trailer was just a small drop in the bucket of trailers they showed—something that could easily happen again with any sort of “promotional” character.

Just a word of caution, friends. Don’t go in with overhyped expectations

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Since it's coming up, while not Geno, I'd still prefer Toad/Captain Toad over Waluigi, especially the latter because of cool moveset potential.

Exactly this. Even though there is arguably signs towards him, you should never take victory in advance so to speak. Do I need to remind people of the Grinch leak?
God, don't get me started... I pray this doesn't get big if only for dealing with the "HURRHURR I OBVIOUSLY KNEW IT WAS FAKE AND YOURE JUST A STUPID MC DUM DUM FOR NOT SEE THE BLATANT TRUTH" ... yes I'm still mad at about half the fanbase's attitude on that.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You can look at characters like Terry and Byleth that had no fan support and they managed to get into Smash. Say what you will about them getting it, but they're there nonetheless.

The problem is when you are talking about Mario, and promoting Mario, it's hard to look at one character that Nintendo doesn't own and hasn't been in a game since a cameo in the early 2000s. Captain Toad has his own game. He's been in other Mario titles. If they make a 3D World Deluxe, he'll be in there too.

My thought that if Nintendo adds a Mario character for the 35th anniversary, they are going to want someone that is recognizable by a large number of people. A lot of people know Toad and probably Captain Toad. People who are familiar with Luigi's Mansion will know King Boo (the second one sold over 5 million copies mind you). And the same goes for Waluigi. Yeah, Geno has a large and vocal fanbase within the Smash community, but Nintendo will want to reach more than just the folks on Smash Bros Websites. This is why Geno may not happen for something like this.

Yeah, plus I don't see it happening.But like, why though? Is anyone asking for Captain Toad (who has had one game, and a minigame-esque series in SM3DW) or King Boo (who has mostly only been in Luigi's Mansion)? I'm more surprised you didn't say Birdo TBH as s/he's been in way more titles (even SMRPG!).

I'm merging this into one post as a lot of what I'd respond to you I said to waterhasataste waterhasataste above. In summary, they'd want a character that would be recognizable to a lot of people, not just fans of Smash Bros. Characters like Waluigi, Capt Toad and even King Boo can do that. Yeah, Geno can still be the face of the Mario RPG side of it and there's potential in that. However, I think the intend would be to push the main series. Keep in mind this would be alongside the movie and the theme park. It's hard to pick a character that, while very popular, hasn't maintained the same presence as other characters.

It's easier to have a character like Waluigi or Capt Toad that could be part of a General Mario pack where someone like Geno would be just the RPG games.

zferolie

Smash Hero
The only way I am seeing Waluigi added is if he is one of these possible Bonus Characters Fatman seems to be hearing about. Iwata tribute, Waluigi, and 2 echos as limited free or always free could maybe happen. 2 echos are easier to make then full fighters(I want Medusa and Impa for a New rep from both series and would be popular echos), Waluigi shouldn't be too hard if they take the Trophy as a base, and don't make him too COmplex, just reference Mario spin off titles in his moveset(sports, Kart, and party). The only one that may have a lot of work is this Iwata tribute character, but this sounds like a Love letter/thank you to a man Sakurai and everyone at nintendo respected and adored, so I can see them doing more love for that.

As for the fighters pass, yes, no way are we getting 2 from the same series, even if Geno and Waluigi may be listed as "different" series.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
So, it seems that there will be ports, and maybe a sunshine remake that someone here suggested that.

A Super Mario Sunshine remake is extremely needed. Yes, NEEDED. No, not just because of fan demand, but because... THE GAME IS UNFINISHED! Sunshine was scheduled for a 2 year development cycle and did not completely finish in time. Sunshine needs to be fully completed with this remake. There are unused (most likely unfinished) area names found in the debug file, with the name of the areas titled:

• Warship Island
  • Fire Shrine
  • Hotel Lacrima
  • Erto Rock

There was also supposed to be another village like the Pianta Village, but the village title is unnamed, so it could've just been the reincarnation of Pianta Village. Hotel Lacrima also could've been the predecessor of Hotel Delfino. But this is most likely why there are tons of blue coins in Isle Delfino because Nintendo did not have enough time to finish the game, so to finish the rest of game on schedule, they decided to add blue coins to the game to make up for the 120 shine sprites. If Nintendo had 3 years of development instead of 2, we probably would've gotten the unused places in Isle Delfino.

There are 77 Shine Sprites in all the worlds, 16 in Delfino Plaza, Delfino Airstrip having 2, the 100 coin Shine Sprite, and Corona Mountain's giant Shine Sprite; there's 240 blue coins, and that makes 24 shines, which would make 120 Shine Sprites. There's 8 Shine Sprites per area/world and 2 Shine Sprites with the red coin levels. We most likely would've had three of the five unused areas make it in the final game if there was enough time, and those three unfinished places could've been Warship Island, Fire Shrine, and Erto Rock. Corona Mountain was also supposed to have multiple episodes, but it was cut and decided to end up with one episode. See why this game needs a remake? The game is already awesome now, think of Sunshine being completely finished, remastered, and HD-ified with the uncut worlds and an 8 episode Corona Mountain BEING in the remake...

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
God, don't get me started... I pray this doesn't get big if only for dealing with the "HURRHURR I OBVIOUSLY KNEW IT WAS FAKE AND YOURE JUST A STUPID MC DUM DUM FOR NOT SEE THE BLATANT TRUTH" ... yes I'm still mad at about half the fanbase's attitude on that.
If you are talking about these Mario rumors not getting big, then I¨m sorry to say but it already has. Gamxplain, Spawn Wave, Arlo, and Kotaku have all reported on this.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
You can look at characters like Terry and Byleth that had no fan support and they managed to get into Smash. Say what you will about them getting it, but they're there nonetheless.

The problem is when you are talking about Mario, and promoting Mario, it's hard to look at one character that Nintendo doesn't own and hasn't been in a game since a cameo in the early 2000s. Captain Toad has his own game. He's been in other Mario titles. If they make a 3D World Deluxe, he'll be in there too.

My thought that if Nintendo adds a Mario character for the 35th anniversary, they are going to want someone that is recognizable by a large number of people. A lot of people know Toad and probably Captain Toad. People who are familiar with Luigi's Mansion will know King Boo (the second one sold over 5 million copies mind you). And the same goes for Waluigi. Yeah, Geno has a large and vocal fanbase within the Smash community, but Nintendo will want to reach more than just the folks on Smash Bros Websites. This is why Geno may not happen for something like this.

I'm merging this into one post as a lot of what I'd respond to you I said to waterhasataste waterhasataste above. In summary, they'd want a character that would be recognizable to a lot of people, not just fans of Smash Bros. Characters like Waluigi, Capt Toad and even King Boo can do that. Yeah, Geno can still be the face of the Mario RPG side of it and there's potential in that. However, I think the intend would be to push the main series. Keep in mind this would be alongside the movie and the theme park. It's hard to pick a character that, while very popular, hasn't maintained the same presence as other characters.

It's easier to have a character like Waluigi or Capt Toad that could be part of a General Mario pack where someone like Geno would be just the RPG games.
I'm fully aware that characters that don't have fan support can get in, but fan requested characters have happened. Especially in Ultimate's case. Also when looking at the character choices so far in Ultimate, there's not much to suggest Nintendo is heavily prioritizing characters that boost what's relevant to them and their first party games anyways

You mentioned Terry earlier, and while he does have a legacy in gaming, it should be noted that outside of Smash, he wasn't used to push anything for Nintendo and isn't at all widely recognized among casual groups. Banjo too, even with his strong Nintendo roots, didn't end up benefitting Nintendo outside of Smash. Sakurai literally said to play Banjo Kazooie on Xbox. Then we have Joker, who's main game is a Sony exclusive currently

Yes, we've had picks like Byleth and now ARMS that are indeed used to promote their modern Switch line up, but that hasn't been a consistent thing

So to get to your main argument, I don't think it matters at all that Geno is less relevant than characters like Captain Toad when it comes to the Mario brand. Nintendo has shown they'll pick characters that don't have a promotional value to them outside of Smash for whatever reason

Also, it's not like the Mario brand is lacking characters that are publicly recognized in Smash. Suddenly putting in a niche popular Mario character doesn't make people forget that other Mario characters are in Smash as well. In fact just the fact that this character is related to Mario will grab public attention anyways

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
If you are talking about these Mario rumors not getting big, then I¨m sorry to say but it already has. Gamxplain, Spawn Wave, Arlo, and Kotaku have all reported on this.
It's on the front page of IGN for christ sake. This clearly isn't an ordinary rumor, pretty much every major video game news site and journalist is giving this rumor credit, that just doesn't happen especially for something as crazy as this. That's what makes it feel so real.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Something i thought about genos mii costume that i feel like is fairly significant is that one of the main arguments against geno not getting in is that the geno mii costume was going to come with hero but then nintendo and square wanted to focus on dragon quest so they delayed genos and chocobos mii costume. That would mean that if season 2 development began at around e3 2019 then the logical move is to place both geno and chocobo miis into the first season 2 character aka fp6. So i feel like if genos mii still doesnt come with fp6 then that would lower the chance of nintendo and square wanting to "focus" on dragon quest.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Sunshine is an amazing game. I adore it, even if some of the things required to get a shine sprite are pretty bad *glares at Pachinko machine* I hope it gets a remake that helps iron out the flaws

D

Deleted member

Something i thought about genos mii costume that i feel like is fairly significant is that one of the main arguments against geno not getting in is that the geno mii costume was going to come with hero but then nintendo and square wanted to focus on dragon quest so they delayed genos and chocobos mii costume. That would mean that if season 2 development began at around e3 2019 then the logical move is to place both geno and chocobo miis into the first season 2 character aka fp6. So i feel like if genos mii still doesnt come with fp6 then that would lower the chance of nintendo and square wanting to "focus" on dragon quest.
So far Square content comes with Square content. If that is really the case, then if there is no Square rep in this pass, then I feel the costumes would of definitely come back with Hero. If Square is not a stickler with their costumes, they should of come back with Banjo and Byleth. Sakurai made a Mii costume of Sans because he was a popular request and Rex since he was too late for his inclusion. It would feel very odd that the Geno costume is gone for no reason. A Mii costume to a spirit battle feels like a downgrade, so why not both?

Last edited by a moderator:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Something kinda relevant since you guys are talking about Mario related stuff, there was a datamine of the E-shop, and a flipnote was found. Here's a link to the gamefaqs topic with it, because my computer doesn't want to let me post it here for some reason.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78522656
It shows 6 pictures: smoething related to Animal Crossing New Horizons, a pirate guy with Link in the background, and the pirate was in Skyword Sword meaning it may mean Skyword Sword HD (if Nintendo wants to make Mario's 35 anniversary special, then it seems normal that they do not release BotW2 this year, but still give something to Zelda fans), what seeems to be Paper Mario, Ribbon Girl with aparently a new design (her haircut is shorter), Mario with Cappy, while Luigi and King Boo (potentialy a crossover between Mario Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3) are also there, and Olimar. Take it as you want.
My main issue with this flipnote stuff is that... I'm 100% sure that flipnote is coming , that's not the problem.
However , witht those kind of apps , they have to show off how it work in a trailer , and them using Nintendo IPs to show it off is completely normal.

I doubt they would use that singular app to hint at so many games , unless it's show near the end of the E3 , and use all the announcements as examples for drawings.
And even with that logic , well...
Granted , it may just be my pessimistic side talking.
As to the Mario rumor , we at least get one Mario game per year , and if I had to take a guess... Paper Mario and Sunshine HD seem like the frontrunner to me.

Also , ngl , if we just get Pikmin 3 Deluxe and never get Pikmin 4 on Switch afterwards , I'm gonna lose it , Iv'e been waiting since 2013 lol.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I’m still thinking about the Mario rumors man

64, Sunshine, AND Galaxy all remastered
3D World Ultra Turbo HD Remix
A new good Paper Mario

AND Geno’s getting into Smash this year. Crazy times we live in.

D

Deleted member

Not being able to jump is a core part of his gameplay. Captain Toad has about as much character as any other non-RPG Mario Character, and not being able to jump isn't part of it.

I don't want him, but I'm tired of seeing "can't jump" be used as an argument when we have a roster packed with characters that never once jump in their home game and we just naturally assume they can. Every Mario platformer that Toad has been playable in, he's been able to jump (and now Toadette can jump too). Typically the gimmick is that he doesn't jump well, but he can jump.

****ing Piranha Plant is a playable character. Just admit you don't want to see Toad regardless of his rank, and carry on. The reasons that the next Mario rep is probably Geno far outweigh the reasons it would be anyone else and that includes Waluigi, so there's no need to resort to dumb **** just to convince yourself Toad isn't gonna cuck Geno after a nearly 20 year fight.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I understand not being able to jump is a big part of Captain Toad's character, but there are probably workarounds they could do. Or just let him jump in Smash, since it's kinda crucial to fighting. Smash already has inconsistencies with canon out the wazoo anyway.

Heoj

Smash Ace
at least in my opinion, the way i see it, the only mario characters who have a chance are geno waluigi and paper mario as i just dont see king boo or toad/captain toad happening at all. And ill take the L if im wrong

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Someone made a full moveset where Captain Toad can't jump , if anyone is interested.
Remember , limitations can easily lead to creativity.

Granted , I'm biased , since I love the Mario franchise. Captain Toad , Waluigi , Geno , Fawful , Paper Mario , King Boo , E.Gadd , so many good choices.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
OOOOOH BABY IT'S TRIPLE!!!

So, ya'll pretty much know or have read by now (if you've been following on the upcoming Mario remasters/Paper Mario, etc.) that the rumored Paper Mario game seems to be a return to form a-la Paper Mario for the N64? What if (and I think it's been mentioned here some time ago) going back to the REAL roots of the franchise (before it got the re-branding of Paper Mario, it was going to be Super Mario RPG 2), they brought back characters from the original Super Mario RPG game, in Paper Mario form (Geno, Mallow, Croco, Axem Rangers, etc.)? :eek:

But boy o boy, the first bit; if legit game news outlets are indicating that Nintendo's possibly going after a Super Mario All-Stars 2 with Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2?!?!?! :eek: :2gud:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ehhh captain toad would be cool and unique, but i just dont see any more then 1 mario character in the pass, and maybe another in the rumored bonus characters. Captain toad i think may be too complicated for a bonus character, as i feel they will mostly be kinda simple, and echos. Only one i think may be complicated would be whoever the Iwata tribute is, mostly just due to how sakurai is.

I know i said waluigi could be a bonus, but kinda moving away from that. Only if they feel AT can be upgraded same game will it happen. I feel Sakurai may feel the AT are good enough in the game. Thats why i think Ribbon girl or Min Min will be the solo ARMS character we get. However Waluigi could be a very simple character though for a bonus character. So either we get 2 wchos, a bonus, and Iwata tribute, or 3 echos and 1 iwata tribute

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
To be honest , I don't think we're going to get full on remasters of all the 3D Mario.
My personnal theory is that they'll simply port all the games under a single package.

Why that ? Because , compared to 2D games , 3D games like these tend to take a lot of place. And while 16 gygabites cardridges exist for Switch , they're very costy to produce. So even something like a simple upscaling for all games under a single package would take quite some place.
While SM64 wouldn't take much space , SMS , SMG1 , and SMG2 , on the other hand... Not saying they're 60 gygabites games each , but still.

Maybe I'm overestimating the storage place these games take , and how much the Switch can handle , but it seem a tiny bit too good to be true. They also have PM (even if IS is probably making it) and the rumored 3D World (ehanced ?) port to release according to the rumors.
Well , maybe I'm underestimating Nintendo on that one , but just giving a full collection of 4 3D Mario for 60 bucks would already be a very good deal. Remember how costy Sunshine is ?

But if we get remasters of all theses games , + 3D World (even if honestly , i would prefer a sequel with unique worlds at this point) and a new Paper Mario ? I would be super happy , lol.
Oh yeah , and Geno , too.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
OOOOOH BABY IT'S TRIPLE!!!

So, ya'll pretty much know or have read by now (if you've been following on the upcoming Mario remasters/Paper Mario, etc.) that the rumored Paper Mario game seems to be a return to form a-la Paper Mario for the N64? What if (and I think it's been mentioned here some time ago) going back to the REAL roots of the franchise (before it got the re-branding of Paper Mario, it was going to be Super Mario RPG 2), they brought back characters from the original Super Mario RPG game, in Paper Mario form (Geno, Mallow, Croco, Axem Rangers, etc.)? :eek:

But boy o boy, the first bit; if legit game news outlets are indicating that Nintendo's possibly going after a Super Mario All-Stars 2 with Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2?!?!?! :eek: :2gud:
Tbh a great return to form would be a Paper Mario game that acknowledges all the previous Mario RPG games including SMRPG. Even just acknowledging N64 paper Mario and ttyd in a brand new game would be amazing.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
My main issue with this flipnote stuff is that... I'm 100% sure that flipnote is coming , that's not the problem.
However , witht those kind of apps , they have to show off how it work in a trailer , and them using Nintendo IPs to show it off is completely normal.

I doubt they would use that singular app to hint at so many games , unless it's show near the end of the E3 , and use all the announcements as examples for drawings.
And even with that logic , well...
Granted , it may just be my pessimistic side talking.
As to the Mario rumor , we at least get one Mario game per year , and if I had to take a guess... Paper Mario and Sunshine HD seem like the frontrunner to me.

Also , ngl , if we just get Pikmin 3 Deluxe and never get Pikmin 4 on Switch afterwards , I'm gonna lose it , Iv'e been waiting since 2013 lol.
I agree. I just think we (royal we as in also these sites covering it) are so starved for legit information that we are seeing what we want to see. I'm not saying the Flipnote stuff isn't for new games or couldn't be the vehicle through which they do transitions and reveals in a presentation (which would be really cool) but I feel like everyone is just kind of jumping on the train of thought that that is what it means and there's just not enough evidence that that is the case. My mantra always seems to be "wait and see".

Taking that mantra into other discussions taking place, why are we even arguing about how characters are getting chosen and what factors are significant for a character to get chosen? If anything, reveals in general have proven that many factors can impact character choices. But there's no way you can look at the base roster at least and not point out that fan demand is overwhelmingly a major factor to consider and Geno fits that bill. But because of how DLC has used many factors across the board both realizing and ignoring fan preferences to select each character, it's simply impossible to say what the important factors really are because they shift each character so far. Basically...wait and see. There's no point in gatekeeping, because there are no gates left. Just because a character seems unlikely or likely doesn't mean they will go that route.

Firox

Smash Master
"Sure, Geno did come out, just remember he's bottom tier despite what the pros are saying and is 100% going to be cut in the next game."
LOL The irrational hate is real. I could just see it now....

"Geno is trash tier. Nobody wanted him in the first place. After about a week, you won't see anybody playing him!"

(3 months later Geno wins several major tournaments, MKLeo decides to main him and he is considered in top 5 characters in the game)

"We always knew he was a broken, brain-dead character. Just Geno-whirl for the win, herp derp. You know he's gonna get banned, right? Either that or Sakurai will straight nerf him out of the game. That's what you get for breaking the game with that stupidly OP possessed doll!"

D

Deleted member

(3 months later Geno wins several major tournaments, MKLeo decides to main him and he is considered in top 5 characters in the game)

"We always knew he was a broken, brain-dead character. Just Geno-whirl for the win, herp derp. You know he's gonna get banned, right? Either that or Sakurai will straight nerf him out of the game. That's what you get for breaking the game with that stupidly OP possessed doll!"
I really hope not, I enjoy playing underappreciated characters.

I agree. I just think we (royal we as in also these sites covering it) are so starved for legit information that we are seeing what we want to see. I'm not saying the Flipnote stuff isn't for new games or couldn't be the vehicle through which they do transitions and reveals in a presentation (which would be really cool) but I feel like everyone is just kind of jumping on the train of thought that that is what it means and there's just not enough evidence that that is the case. My mantra always seems to be "wait and see".

Taking that mantra into other discussions taking place, why are we even arguing about how characters are getting chosen and what factors are significant for a character to get chosen? If anything, reveals in general have proven that many factors can impact character choices. But there's no way you can look at the base roster at least and not point out that fan demand is overwhelmingly a major factor to consider and Geno fits that bill. But because of how DLC has used many factors across the board both realizing and ignoring fan preferences to select each character, it's simply impossible to say what the important factors really are because they shift each character so far. Basically...wait and see. There's no point in gatekeeping, because there are no gates left. Just because a character seems unlikely or likely doesn't mean they will go that route.
Maybe I'm just overlooking something obvious, but exactly what's wrong with the idea that they're just upscaling and porting the classic 3D Mario games as a collection rather than remaking them from the ground up? I mean, how many times has Nintendo proven to us that remaking their much loved games is a mistake? Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, Majora's Mask 3D, Mario 64 DS... Honestly it feels like the only remake they've nailed is Link's Awakening (but that's because the original game was terrible, in my honest opinion). A collection of straight ports doesn't appeal to someone like me, who has all of their consoles connected to one TV in a mess of cords and dust - I can play the original whenever I damn well please, as it was meant to be played and I don't have to buy the games again, but at this point, Mario 64 is like 25 years old, Sunshine is 18, and Galaxy is 13 - none of them have been re-released aside from 64 on Virtual Console, and it's getting harder to find them. A new generation deserves to be able to play them approximately as they were intended, as well.

It's not like it means anything bad for Geno's chances if the games aren't remakes. I'm more interested in the Paper Mario and feel like it means more for Geno.

Also, to theorize a bit further about the characters and how they're getting chosen, I do think it's very convenient that one of the more concrete things Fatman has said some folks in his network have talked about is how aware Nintendo is of the disappointment the November 1 Smash Direct was. Nintendo being out of touch with the fans has been talked to death, so I don't think I need to ramble on about it, but it sure is interesting that they're opening up the second pass with a fighter from a franchise whose front man was revealed that day as a soulless assist trophy - one that a ton of people didn't understand happening, since the franchise is so new and he seemed like not just a great fit, but an obvious fighter choice. Even guys like me who never wanted him thought that ARMS and its fans were robbed with that dumb move.

And really, aside from eternal joke Waluigi, all of the first party fan favorites were shown off as assist trophies that day, and I am including Black Knight in that, as he was a popular request after Ike was revealed in Brawl and continued to be, even in Smash 4. Maybe he deserves to stay just an assist trophy, though... SURELY by now they realize even a fan favorite Fire Emblem character won't be welcomed. Anyway, to lead off with arguably the least interesting "apology" character... Spring Man or not, if this is supposed to be the hype play, we're in for a bad time, but if it's just the tip of the iceberg, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom