• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
ARMS is a fantastic game, it's great to see it getting a rep like it deserves. I can't even fathom anyone not at least liking the art and character designs. It's likely Min-Min, since she won the character tournament. I'm glad to know that spirits never really deconfirmed, just like anyone with a brain knew beforehand.
If winning character tournament = getting included, then Lyn and Black Knight would been included ages ago

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
If winning character tournament = getting included, then Lyn and Black Knight would been included ages ago
The situations are wildly different here, but I won't bother bickering about it since it's off topic. I don't care who it is, all the characters are great, I'm just pointing out that my bets are on either the main two or Min-Min.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The only character I feel has a strong chance that isn't a spirit or Assist would be Dr. Coyle. Though my personal pick would be Mater Mummy: heavyweight with crazy range, hard-hitting moves, and something of a self-recovery mechanic would be fun.

D

Deleted member

A thought that occurred to me:

I mentioned over on discord today that Nintendo airs their important directs at a time of day when a lot of people are going to see them. Typically, general or "major" directs air at 5 or so Eastern time, which means that almost every time zone in the United States is getting off of work or school, but lesser directs get whatever the hell time of day they want, and very specifically, Sakurai presentations get an awful early morning time slot that most people have to work or go to school through and catch later - Sakurai's nerdgasm over Terry was obviously deemed to be not worth anyone's time to catch "live", and as out of touch as Nintendo is, they knew there'd be no harm in catching Byleth at whatever time of day was convenient for you. We saw that in today's Mini Direct, too - nothing of any real consequence was announced, Xenoblade Definitive Edition - a game we already knew was coming - carried the entire show, and the Smash announcement was so underwhelming that they spent 30 seconds delivering it.

Nintendo's walking a really odd road right now. In one of the most unhype Smash deliveries of all time, they revealed that the next character is from a three year old game that everyone forgot about almost as soon as they put it in their Switch. Truly, Sakurai is making good on his word that recognizability is not the deciding factor in a Smash selection. But enough ****ting on ARMS.

Consider the following situation: Nintendo just revealed one of the most upsetting Smash characters since Piranha Plant. How out of touch do they have to be to follow it up with a shill for a sequel to a game that almost no one remembers, and making us wait until June to know exactly who it is? They planned this with no COVID-19 - that means that Nintendo's plan for this year was to show ARMS ****ing 2 at E3 and a character, brand new to it, as a fighter in Smash before the game is even out. This would be Roy, except they expect us to pay extra for him... Again. I just don't think it's a thing that would happen. There's being out of touch and having bad optics, and then there's this.

The most likely situation we're looking at is either that they planned to kick down the doors of speculation at E3 and show us Spring Man and prove that assist trophies, spirits, and even mii costumes mean nothing. A situation like that would be hype enough in terms of implication that they wouldn't need a second character to make it interesting, but I think that they did intend at second character at E3 - God only knows what we'll be looking at now.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Was bored so I poked around the new character icons on the Smash website. As is expected at this point it's pretty clean. Though the "June 2020" icon is yellow, and after doublechecking to confirm all of the previous "Coming XXX" icons matched the fighter's background color so that's something. Those colors have been borderline random thus far though so I don't think it really means anything at all.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, ARMs has a hell of a firewall to get around to absolutely avoid a promotion.

Assist Trophy/Costume/Spirit:

Springman

Costume/Spirit:

Ribbongirl

Spirit:

Ninjara, Min-Min, Twintelle

5 of the most popular characters with two being the leads. On top of all that, that's half the starting roster of ARMs and basically includes all the characters that are most similar to each other body wise. Helix is a blob, Master Mummy and Mechanica are huge, Byte and Barq have a really specific gimmick, and Kid Cobra is kind of weird body shape wise.

Heoj

Smash Ace

I mentioned over on discord today that Nintendo airs their important directs at a time of day when a lot of people are going to see them. Typically, general or "major" directs air at 5 or so Eastern time, which means that almost every time zone in the United States is getting off of work or school, but lesser directs get whatever the hell time of day they want, and very specifically, Sakurai presentations get an awful early morning time slot that most people have to work or go to school through and catch later - Sakurai's nerdgasm over Terry was obviously deemed to be not worth anyone's time to catch "live", and as out of touch as Nintendo is, they knew there'd be no harm in catching Byleth at whatever time of day was convenient for you. We saw that in today's Mini Direct, too - nothing of any real consequence was announced, Xenoblade Definitive Edition - a game we already knew was coming - carried the entire show, and the Smash announcement was so underwhelming that they spent 30 seconds delivering it.

Nintendo's walking a really odd road right now. In one of the most unhype Smash deliveries of all time, they revealed that the next character is from a three year old game that everyone forgot about almost as soon as they put it in their Switch. Truly, Sakurai is making good on his word that recognizability is not the deciding factor in a Smash selection. But enough ****ting on ARMS.

Consider the following situation: Nintendo just revealed one of the most upsetting Smash characters since Piranha Plant. How out of touch do they have to be to follow it up with a shill for a sequel to a game that almost no one remembers, and making us wait until June to know exactly who it is? They planned this with no COVID-19 - that means that Nintendo's plan for this year was to show ARMS ****ing 2 at E3 and a character, brand new to it, as a fighter in Smash before the game is even out. This would be Roy, except they expect us to pay extra for him... Again. I just don't think it's a thing that would happen. There's being out of touch and having bad optics, and then there's this.

The most likely situation we're looking at is either that they planned to kick down the doors of speculation at E3 and show us Spring Man and prove that assist trophies, spirits, and even mii costumes mean nothing. A situation like that would be hype enough in terms of implication that they wouldn't need a second character to make it interesting, but I think that they did intend at second character at E3 - God only knows what we'll be looking at now.
I dunno wut your on about but if its min-min then imma lose my ****

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
View attachment 267193

This is you. Get over it.
Couldn't be more wrong, actually. My buddy who really wanted Waluigi was way more salty than I was.

Like I said, I'm more frustrated that Nintendo thought this was a good way to start the pass when they already did this with Byleth and we all saw what happened there.

Funny how when the tables are even slightly turned, no one offers the same courtesy I do.

Geno Thread: ****ING BYLETH?! REEEEEEEEEEE~!
Me: *gives them a week to be upset and telling them they are allowed to be disappointed before telling them to move on and does so mostly politely*

Me: *Day of Reveal* Man, getting an ARMS character is kinda lame but I'm sure they will be fun, just really think it was a bad way to start Vol 2.
Geno Thread: *Same Day* Lul, crybaby! Just get over it man! Here is a meme image to show how much of a baby you are!

Really makes you thonk.

However, while I actually like Adeline and would love to she her get in Smash as the next Kirby rep, I still find re-purposing this image into something I can use to be perfect. So thank you for that at least, despite the rest of your post offering nothing at all.

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
Was bored so I poked around the new character icons on the Smash website. As is expected at this point it's pretty clean. Though the "June 2020" icon is yellow, and after doublechecking to confirm all of the previous "Coming XXX" icons matched the fighter's background color so that's something. Those colors have been borderline random thus far though so I don't think it really means anything at all.
Yellow definitely fits min-min:drflip:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I think Rex and Pyra has a good chance now, but that doesnt concern to this thread, right?
I want to have all the characters but man, an arms character makes me fall asleep

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman

That’s a whole lot of words just to say “ARMS bad”

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Why the heck is almost everyone so salty over an ARMS rep in Smash? I mean, there are worse things to get upset about, so why all the fuss over this?

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, I'm more frustrated that Nintendo thought this was a good way to start the pass when they already did this with Byleth and we all saw what happened there.
Right, how dare Nintendo put Nintendo characters from unrepresented Nintendo universes in this Nintendo crossover game?

Last edited:

bomamba

Smash Cadet
I mean, arms is fine I guess, would have liked it earlier on but it’s a decent first pick imo, maybe a bit unsurprising but solid

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah, ARMs has a hell of a firewall to get around to absolutely avoid a promotion.

Assist Trophy/Costume/Spirit:

Springman

Costume/Spirit:

Ribbongirl

Spirit:

Ninjara, Min-Min, Twintelle

5 of the most popular characters with two being the leads. On top of all that, that's half the starting roster of ARMs and basically includes all the characters that are most similar to each other body wise. Helix is a blob, Master Mummy and Mechanica are huge, Byte and Barq have a really specific gimmick, and Kid Cobra is kind of weird body shape wise.
Yeeeeaaaah, I'm thinking that fighter #6 is definitely going to smash the "AT's, spirits and costumes deconfirm" rule once and for all. And even if it doesn't, the high probability alone is enough to shut up all the naysayers for at least the next three months.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Why the heck is almost everyone so salty over an ARMS rep in Smash? I mean, there are worse things to get upset about, so why all the fuss over this?
It's just...boring? Why are they putting in a character from a 3 year old game that never took off like Nintendo wanted it too? An Arms rep was never super highly requested either, I'm not going to act like people didn't want them but you look at who people actually want upgraded and an Arms rep really isn't up there with a lot of the other characters. I'm just more confused than anything else.

I'd be more excited if they straight up smashed the deconfirmation rules but they didn't even do that.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's just...boring? Why are they putting in a character from a 3 year old game that never took off like Nintendo wanted it too? An Arms rep was never super highly requested either, I'm not going to act like people didn't want them but you look at who people actually want upgraded and an Arms rep really isn't up there with a lot of the other characters. I'm just more confused than anything else.
Oh, come on! It can't be that bad! I mean I have not played the game, but "boring" is an opinion. Plus, it is still relatively new, and it is how the character plays that matters more than what franchise they are from. That said, they are working on new mechanics for this character, so they could be fun and worth it. I think they personally will be, despite not seeing any gameplay footage of the character. Why shouldn't ARMS get a rep, anyway?

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
Why are they putting in a character from a 3 year old game that never took off like Nintendo wanted it too?
Just to point it out, Arms sold more in 2 years than SMRPG did in its entire initial run. It's hilariously hypocritical for anyone in this thread to start lobbing "not popular enough", "not relevant", or "forgotten and abandoned" at any other character, especially a first party character. We should all be better than that, but I guess some of us aren't.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Oh, come on! It can't be that bad! I mean I have not played the game, but "boring" is an opinion. Plus, it is still relatively new, and it is how the character plays that matters more than what franchise they are from. That said, they are working on new mechanics for this character, so they could be fun and worth it. I think they personally will be, despite not seeing any gameplay footage of the character. Why shouldn't ARMS get a rep, anyway?
Just to point it out, Arms sold more in 2 years than SMRPG did in its entire initial run. It's hilariously hypocritical for anyone in this thread to start lobbing "not popular enough", "not relevant", or "forgotten and abandoned" at any other character, especially a first party character. We should all be better than that, but I guess some of us aren't.
I'm not mad ARMS is here, I'm genuinely confused WHY Nintendo chose them.

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
I would assume because it is a new, well received, successful fighting game that doesn't have a playable fighter in Nintendo's crossover fighting game franchise. Or maybe ARMS is getting another wave of content or a sequel. Party Crashes are now back, so that's already something.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm not mad ARMS is here, I'm genuinely confused WHY Nintendo chose them.
Based on the reasons you said, why don't think ARMS needs or deserves a rep? Why shouldn't they have a rep just because of being less successful. It is still a new franchise that happens to belong to Nintendo, after all.

No kidding! Plus, it is an Nintendo franchise, to begin with. Who says unpopular, less successful series or anything of that kind of series (not saying ARMS is bad, unpopular or not good in any way, just saying) not be in Smash just because people are confused, don't like it or think it is worthy?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I hope this latest addition also shuts up people whining about '90s man babies' and 'nostalgia overload' with character requests. Taking the 7 DLC characters right now, 1 is from the 80s, 2 from the 90s and 4 from the 10s, specifically the second half of it (while Hero is spread out across decades, Eleven is the default skin). It was so annoying hoping for K Rool, Banjo, Geno, Dixie, etc and having others flip out and complain that Nintendo is catering to 'Boomers,' particularly complaints with 90s characters. And yet, ironically, its actually the 10s that are getting catered to.

D

Deleted member

I’ll gladly accept an arms rep. I kinda wanted Springman or Ninjaro for a while now and I’ll take it way more if it means destroying fanmade rules helping Geno.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Smash Lord
Arms is not anime and doesn't have a sword, therefore it is already a win. Yes it's boring, but it's at least better than Plant, Corrin, Byleth, Wii Fit Trainer, etc. (imo)

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, I just want to point out saying things like "ARMS is a 3 year old game that never took off, and a character from that game was not super highly requested either.", among other things: Let it be known that people are trying to apply such logic to this character and situation, when such same, similar or different, but along those kind of lines logic has not stopped other characters, like Sonic, K. Rool and Banjo, among others from getting in the game as playables. Just saying.

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
Well, while it wasn't my most wanted by any means, better we get a rep from a relatively new IP like Arms instead of a millionth Fire Emblem character :p

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I would assume because it is a new, well received, successful fighting game that doesn't have a playable fighter in Nintendo's crossover fighting game franchise. Or maybe ARMS is getting another wave of content or a sequel. Party Crashes are now back, so that's already something.
Based on the reasons you said, why don't think ARMS needs or deserves a rep? Why shouldn't they have a rep just because of being less successful. It is still a new franchise that happens to belong to Nintendo, after all.

No kidding! Plus, it is an Nintendo franchise, to begin with. Who says unpopular, less successful series or anything of that kind of series (not saying ARMS is bad, unpopular or not good in any way, just saying) not be in Smash just because people are confused, don't like it or think it is worthy?
I feel like I'm being misinterpreted here, I'm cool with ARMS having a character, I'm super happy to see a new Nintendo franchise get added to Smash. It's more just a general whiplash I'm getting than anything else. I just didn't expect it I suppose, this feels like something that would happen base game or something. I'm just sitting here thinking about why exactly Nintendo picked them, not like "Oh GRRR why did Nintendo put in this character from a game people forgot about 3 years ago", and more just "What does this actually mean? Did the ARMS team ask for this? Does Nintendo want to revive the franchise?". It doesn't help that we don't even know who the character is, and honestly the Mini Direct was really underwhelming.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeeeeaaaah, I'm thinking that fighter #6 is definitely going to smash the "AT's, spirits and costumes deconfirm" rule once and for all. And even if it doesn't, the high probability alone is enough to shut up all the naysayers for at least the next three months.
On top of this every DLC spirit board has had at least 7 spirits and there's currently 10 playable characters from ARMS that don't have spirits at all so that practically writes itself. Other stuff to consider:

-Spring Man and Ribbongirl were literally revealed to the world at the exact same time:

-5 of the characters were DLC with 2 being bosses and 1 basically being "Metal Spring Man." It likely won't be any of them.

-Ninjara was also present since the very first trailer.

-Here's the back of the box:

622679_back.jpg

Oh look~, Spring Man and Ribbongirl are dead center in almost every screenshot (except the one with Ninjara and Min-Min, HUH; IMAGINE THAT~) and literally in the middle of the character roster at the top.

Like I said, for 6 to not be a promotion, they would have to swerve the characters that literally launched the franchise. That would be like if Metaknight had come before Kirby or Louie/Alph before Olimar or Corrin before Marth. It has never happened before (knock on wood) but they always do the main character/s that launched the series before they go into side characters and villains.

MattX20

Smash Hero
As far as ARMS reps go, I'm personally leaning more towards the spirits/characters that aren't in physical form already like Spring Man and to a lesser extent Ribbon Girl. My personal guess is that MinMin will be the main/default if we do get multiple characters at once due to her winning the tournament.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Admittedly, I will be annoyed if this in the end actually turns out to be a new character from an ARMS 2 game. Nintendo, use characters that actually have fanbases at the time of reveal, please. Use someone from ARMS 1, not a promotion character from an unannounced sequel. It's one of the reasons people are annoyed at FE.

Anyway, I'm guessing this character will be released the same day as their E3 Direct which will show character 7.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Arms is not anime and doesn't have a sword
Probably the best the take away from today. But really hoping we get Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Twintelle, Min Min or Ninjara just to give Geno the green light and shut these negative zoomers down.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
That, and like Geno, Twintelle could get spirit promotion status and has a pretty good shot as a potential character alt too if they do go that way.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I feel like I'm being misinterpreted here, I'm cool with ARMS having a character, I'm super happy to see a new Nintendo franchise get added to Smash. It's more just a general whiplash I'm getting than anything else. I just didn't expect it I suppose, this feels like something that would happen base game or something. I'm just sitting here thinking about why exactly Nintendo picked them, not like "Oh GRRR why did Nintendo put in this character from a game people forgot about 3 years ago", and more just "What does this actually mean? Did the ARMS team ask for this? Does Nintendo want to revive the franchise?". It doesn't help that we don't even know who the character is, and honestly the Mini Direct was really underwhelming.
Well, like I said...

Well, I just want to point out saying things like "ARMS is a 3 year old game that never took off, and a character from that game was not super highly requested either.", among other things: Let it be known that people are trying to apply such logic to this character and situation, when such same, similar or different, but along those kind of lines logic has not stopped other characters, like Sonic, K. Rool and Banjo, among others from getting in the game as playables. Just saying.
Even if you think it is cool, and though the Direct WAS underwhelming, you did call it a game that never took off and is three years old. That is still new, but you seem to be applying logic to this kind of scenario when it has not stopped other characters before.

As for the other questions as in "why did they do this?" and such, Nintendo, based on what I said above, does not seem to need a good reason to add characters like someone from ARMS into the game, or the kind of reasons fans try to apply, anyways. They wanted to, and they did, regardless of the circumstances surrounding a series like ARMS. Do they really need a special reason, one that people can relate to when those people know how well a game like ARMS did not do, when it is especially their franchise to begin with? No need to think deeply on this. Not everything has to make sense to or at least be the kind of reason the viewer, player, fan or otherwise person that is seeing this expects, you know what I mean?

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Arms is not anime and doesn't have a sword, therefore it is already a win. Yes it's boring, but it's at least better than Plant, Corrin, Byleth, Wii Fit Trainer, etc. (imo)
To be fair, there’s more punchy-punchy characters in Smash than swordfighters anyway

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Um, I think Sonic, K. Rool and Banjo are completely different animals (literally) from an ARMS rep. Sonic (as a character) is massively popular and represents a rich rivalry/cooperation between Nintendo and Sega. K. Rool and Banjo were both from vintage classics that were not only critically acclaimed but both were also HEAVILY requested by the fanbase. ARMS has no such following or historical relevance. Period. Did SOMEBODY want an ARMS rep? Sure. There's people that would die to have Tingle in Smash but that doesn't make it a particularly hype/intelligent idea. I think it's pretty safe to say that ARMS is being added purely because corporate Nintendo thinks they have something to gain by giving it a renewed push. As others have said, I think ARMS in Smash most closely mirrors Marth/Roy in Melee. It's Nintendo's effort to boost the visibility of a lesser franchise.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Um, I think Sonic, K. Rool and Banjo are completely different animals (literally) from an ARMS rep. Sonic (as a character) is massively popular and represents a rich rivalry/cooperation between Nintendo and Sega. K. Rool and Banjo were both from vintage classics that were not only critically acclaimed but both were also HEAVILY requested by the fanbase. ARMS has no such following or historical relevance. Period. Did SOMEBODY want an ARMS rep? Sure. There's people that would die to have Tingle in Smash but that doesn't make it a particularly hype/intelligent idea. I think it's pretty safe to say that ARMS is being added purely because corporate Nintendo thinks they have something to gain by giving it a renewed push. As others have said, I think ARMS in Smash most closely mirrors Marth/Roy in Melee. It's Nintendo's effort to boost the visibility of a lesser franchise.
First off, those three were just examples. Plus, while the reasons AGAINST them may have been different, they do group with reasons like those AGAINST an ARMS character. Plus, ARMS is relatively new, and like I said, how are things like historical relevance going to stop ARMS from getting into Smash Bros, and how is it being a lesser franchise going to do the same? It is Nintendo's franchise, after all, and since Smash Bros. is also a crossover AND an Nintendo franchise, I am sure they can do what they want without having it make sense or have a good reason to the people seeing what is happening for them to add such characters in a Smash Bros. game.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Right, how dare Nintendo put Nintendo characters from unrepresented Nintendo universes in this Nintendo crossover game?
Well Arms was already represented, but i wouldn't be complaining if franchises like Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven were given proper major Fighters. In fact i would rather have that than any other Third Party character left that is not named Crash or Geno.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min and Ninjara and then an alt for each? Seems like a pretty good spread, even if there's no Twintelle.

Also I just realized, that arms stage that most people were predicting in base game but never came to pass will finally actually happen. I wonder if it will be one arena, or a travelling stage for the four heros included, if thats the route they go. Or they could be basic ******* and just do Spring and Ribbon with the default arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom