• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That's ridiculous. Who would possibly stay up to see a Nintendo Direct announcement at 3 in the morning?

-video-
I guess you could say by then, "It's 3 AM and I want to go to bed." (That line is from the song, Night Shift, by O.A.R., by the way).

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
I don't know if this has been shown here(The fan game in question has been around for quite a while, so I wouldn't be shocked if this has popped up), but this beautiful fighting fan game has a Geno cameo through a card mechanic, and he is pretty awesome in it. He pops up around 2:07, but I recommend checking the whole video out. Lots of polish in the animations and I am shocked it hasn't gotten more recognition.

Yoooo that Geno looks sick.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
What if we get a direct announcement at 3AM lol
Ah yes, 3AM. I remember people staying awake just to see the Pic of the Day in Miiverse for Smash 4 info. We got stage confirmations, Assist Decomfirmations (Rip Walugi, Takamaru, and Prince Sable) and Luigi's Nose.

Good times......good times.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If Jeff is right, I think we could get a mini direct. Someone else pointed out that the last mini direct or so had announcements including remakes/ports, which matches the rumors going around.

Either way, I feel like he may have had correct info that just changed, since Zhuge and GameXplain were treating him as credible.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If Jeff is right, I think we could get a mini direct. Someone else pointed out that the last mini direct or so had announcements including remakes/ports, which matches the rumors going around.
Odd! I was thinking the same thing about the Mini Direct part!

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Either way, I feel like he may have had correct info that just changed, since Zhuge and GameXplain were treating him as credible.
More or less what I posted in the General Thread. I mean, I'm basically grasping at straws at this point but it could happen.

When I really think about it, maybe they WILL drop a Mini Direct. Honestly isn't that farfetched. You actually look at the 2018 mini direct and we had

• One actual new game announcement, set to release only a couple months later (Aces)
  • Release Dates for the small amount of games we actually knew about (Kirby)
  • Ports/remakes (Hyrule Warriors, Tropical Freeze, World Ends with You Remixed, Dark Souls Remastered)
  • DLC (Pokken, Mario Odyssey, Mario+Rabbids)
  • Smaller third party ports/announcements (Payday 2, Ys VIII, SNK Heroines)
When you really think about it, we are just as much in the dark as we were then. It's a pretty similar situation. Very little known about game wise for the year, a pretty empty (but not nearly 2020 or especially 2019 bad) first half of the year, and when you actually examine most of the rumors flying around, it adds up pretty similarly
  • 1/maybe 2 summer game announcements (Paper Mario?)
  • Xenoblade release date
  • Ports : 3D World, Pikmin 3, Prime Trilogy? maybe whatever 3DS games they were working on before Inside Story Bombed (Fire Emblem?)
  • DLC (Pokemon, Smash)
  • Third Party announcements (Jedi Academy is still set to randomly release tommorrow even though they haven't actually officially announced any release date for Switch yet, it got leaked on the Canadian Eshop, and given how the Jedi Knight 2 port got announced last direct I can easily see them shadowdropping it here.)
Could easily be wrong, but it makes sense in context I suppose.
EDIT : Now that I've looked myself the Jedi Academy thing just feels super weird, its not even listed on the US Eshop yet even though its literally set to come out tommorrow on PS4 (which got announced by the Playstation blog a day or two ago) and got listed on the Canadian Eshop to be out tommorrow as well apparently, yet they STILL haven't listed it or officially announced anything? That just screams shadowdrop, especially because the port of Jedi Knight 2 got announced last direct. I'm pretty convinced we either get a mini-direct tommorrow or 100% something got delayed.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Does Nintendo even care about competition, anymore, if it doesn't hurt to ask?
Not really. Nintendo isn't too big on competing anymore, the only time they were huge in competing was during the 1980s and 1990s when Sega was making their consoles, and when Sony was making the PlayStation 1 and 2; they also got pretty competitive in the early-mid 2000s with Microsoft and Sony when it came to the Xbox, PS2, Xbox 360 and PS3. Nintendo isn't interested in competing against Microsoft and Sony with the Xbox and PlayStation as much anymore since Microsoft and Sony are heavily competing against each other. Nintendo were really big competitors back when the N64, Dreamcast, Xbox, and PS2 were out; Nintendo was also competing heavily when the Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3 were coming and releasing in 2006. It seems like after the Wii U, Nintendo learned a lesson and decided to not focus on heavily competeting anymore, and instead just focus on making the console entertainable and enjoyable for the consumers.

After mainly focusing on making a better console enjoyable for the consumers, Nintendo went ahead of Microsoft and Sony when it came to releasing their upcoming consoles, releasing the Nintendo Switch three years before Microsoft and Sony were able to release their upcoming consoles: the PS5 and Xbox Series X. Nintendo did an incredible job with the Switch; however, with no news so far this year, Nintendo isn't looking so hot right now unless they surprise us with a Direct with upcoming games and maybe even include the cherry on top (6th fighter reveal).

Nintendo and Sega signed a "peace treaty" and are good friends now.

T2by4

Smash Lord

He assured on twitter that it isn't a mini direct.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
What if we get a direct announcement at 3AM lol
It's currently 11:33 AM in Japan, so... yeah there's no way we're getting an announcement if they (actually) were doing a direct tomorrow.

That's ridiculous. Who would possibly stay up to see a Nintendo Direct announcement at 3 in the morning?

I mean technically it wouldn't matter *when* you do the announcement; it'll spread like wildfire until normies start waking up to see it.

I have no faith though. I'd love for it to just shadowdrop tomorrow randomly, but yeah, no faith at all. Why would they just drop a direct w/o an announcement like that? That'd be insane.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So I just finished some sprite stuff that I think you all might want to see.
A little while back, someone named NinspriterX uploaded some Paper Mario styled sprites for different characters. Among those characters was Geno.
125287.png

Funnily enough, this guy had actually made sprites of him a very long time ago. Anyone remember Geno from Smash Kingdom?
18021.png

Yeah, same guy.

Anyways, I really liked his new sprites of Geno, but unfortunately he only made idle poses for him. I decided to fix that by editing his sprites and even making some new ones of my own. Here are the results:
GenoPaperMarioExpanded.png
Let me know what you guys think. It's my first time making/editing stuff in the Paper Mario style, so any feedback is appreciated.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I hear talk about timed hit as his gimmick, but what would that entail? Hitting the A or B button during certain frames to get stronger attacks? Only certain moves getting buffs? Alternate versions of the move ala Ryu and Ken?
Well, obviously I'm no Smash dev, so I don't know for certain. But I do think the former sounds the most likely way they could go about it. I do think Geno would have them in some capacity; it just makes sense and gives him something to stand out from the rest of the roster (Though of course, I'd still be happy even if he doesn't).

I have a mini-theory that, based on the fact that characters are coming out roughly twice as slowly for FP2 compared to FP1, we could be getting characters that require more testing than before. I don't know who all could fit that bill, but Geno is definitely one of them if he uses timed attacks. Make them too good, and you'd be able to 0-80 your opponent easily. Make them too bad, and he'd be a very rough character to play if you're not perfect. So, such a mechanic would require an awful lot of testing and balancing.

It's just a silly little theory though, and of course might not come true.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Imagine thinking that Nintendo follows patterns... I still believe in tomorrow for a full Direct shadow dropped: there's too much cloud this time around (again). And if you think not, remember that people said we couldn't possibly get to New Horizons without knowing what's next for Nintendo in 2020.
A little while back, someone named NinspriterX uploaded some Paper Mario styled sprites for different characters. Among those characters was Geno.
View attachment 267052
Funnily enough, this guy had actually made sprites of him a very long time ago. Anyone remember Geno from Smash Kingdom?
View attachment 267051
Yeah, same guy.

Anyways, I really liked his new sprites of Geno, but unfortunately he only made idle poses for him. I decided to fix that by editing his sprites and even making some new ones of my own. Here are the results:
Let me know what you guys think. It's my first time making/editing stuff in the Paper Mario style, so any feedback is appreciated.
The hair of the Star Form looking a little weird because it's only one of the 2 twirls. But I have no idea if putting both would improve it.
This looks really, really awesome! Good job, man!

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Oh damn, this just reminded me when I was doing perler sprites, I actually made one from this specific sheet (I think the 1st one on the 4th row with his arms crossed). That takes me back...

Anyway, could you imagine Geno being a partner in a PM game? That would have been awesome (but not as forced DLC like someone said many pages ago; I'd want him to have his story reasons for being there).

The hair of the Star Form looking a little weird because it's only one of the 2 twirls. But I have no idea if putting both would improve it.
Should tell TerminalMontage that if he does another Something About video with Geno in star sprite form. Regardless if it looks good or not though, it's a nice indicator of who the sprite is without anyone even saying his name... *recalls Twink and how completely non-unique he is from every other star kid*

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
View attachment 267052
View attachment 267051
Yeah, same guy.

These are amazing! Can I share this?

T2by4

Smash Lord
View attachment 267052
View attachment 267051
Yeah, same guy.

Just realized that both Rosalina and Geno have their right eyes covered. When Geno is facing forward or he does his head nod, his right eye is usually covered. Small coincidence I noticed between the two well known celestial characters in the mario universe.

Attachments

axel_

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 267052
View attachment 267051
Yeah, same guy.

You gotta send these to the Smash Kingdom guy for when he does another video with Geno

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Does Nintendo even care about competition, anymore, if it doesn't hurt to ask?
Not really since the old days with Sega.

Everyone keeps trying to needle Nintendo into a war with the other two, but they've always done their own thing; and everyone has always copied them

Playstation ripped off the Wii Remote and stuck a ball on it to make something that barely worked and literally didn't work during their E3 presentation. Xbox meanwhile made some admittedly impressive tech to copy the motion controls, but shot themselves in the foot by trying desperately to oversell it to the point of shackling it to the Xbox One and making it their core identity when their fans kept rejecting it

Sony was so shameless in trying to rip off Smash Bros that back when YouTube tags were still visible, the reveal for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale was TAGGED as Smash Bros! https://www.engadget.com/2012-06-04...-all-stars-as-super-smash-bros-on-youtub.html

Alienware UFO copied the Switch beat for beat
1585199774156.png

The Totaku line of figures... it's literally Amiibo without the functionality

You get my point: Nintendo doesn't NEED to compete when everyone wants to copy what they're doing

Geno Boost

Smash Master
View attachment 267052
View attachment 267051
Yeah, same guy.

you did a very good job!!!!
but if there is something i would change then its the orange curl being upside down

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
View attachment 267052
View attachment 267051
Yeah, same guy.

Really love the sprites, man, especially his cannon and star form! Also, I LOVE THAT GENO! Geno from Bowser's Kingdom/Smash Kingdom was so awesome; I love his voice and I read Datboigeno Datboigeno 's comments in his voice. That Geno literally roasts everyone, he even roasted his Mii costume, LOL. Remember that time when he saved Jeff and Hal, and single-handedly wiped out a zombie apocalypse?

Language and loud sound warning. Turn your volume down if you watch these.

Last edited:

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
Hey Nintendo... I wanna play a little game.

From this day onward, every week we go without a Direct, I will spell out a new letter from a specific word on your unrelated tweet.
The clock is ticking. You wouldn't want to offend anyone, would you?

Screen-Shot-2020-03-26-at-11.35.24-AM.png

(this is a joke btw I'm not gonna actually do it)

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Isn't Marko also the one who said a 3DS Paper Mario 64 remake? Idk, I'm very skeptical about a 3DS anything.
Actually, that was before the Mario and Luigi remakes flopped, so it was something that was entirely scrapped or ported to the Switch (remember the 3DS Link’s Awakening rumor?)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Isn't Marko also the one who said a 3DS Paper Mario 64 remake? Idk, I'm very skeptical about a 3DS anything.
Playing devils advocate here, but there is rumors that they worked on another "echoes tittle" for the 3DS before they scrapped and potentially moving over to Nintendo Switch. https://serenesforest.net/2019/11/04/rumour-cancelled-fire-emblem-remake-3ds-live-switch/

Koei Tecmo were also the ones that made the most work on Three Houses. It is said that Intelligent System (the ones that make Paper Mario as well) only had a skeleton crew working alongside Koei during the development. https://twitter.com/Stealth40k/status/1242939418140426240

Who is to say that the majority of the Intelligent System crew did not work on this supposed echoes tittle as well as Paper Mario reboot for 3DS, but scrapped them because of 3Ds lifecycle/make the decision to move it to Nintendo Switch?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
hmmmmmm

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
hmmmmmm

Can we please agree that the virus if f-ing up Nintendos schedule at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom