• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

QQS

Smash Lord
is there a Geno’s WhatsApp group? I have plenty Geno stickers you could like ;D

or not a group, cause this is our group, but if you want them, I can send them to you via private message to spread some Geno love through your friends!

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Man, I can't believe that presentation for the next Smash DLC Fighter was postponed. Well, I can kinda believe it, but still. First, E3 being cancelled, and now this. What's next? Gamescom?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Man, I can't believe that presentation for the next Smash DLC Fighter was postponed. Well, I can kinda believe it, but still. First, E3 being cancelled, and now this. What's next? Gamescom?
That's not what he said. All he said was that a meeting with some publisher about Smash wasn't able to happen.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
hey all. Got caught up with the thread. I actually really enjoyed the Indie direct and saw some games that potentially would be of interest to me. But no Geno so as always it gets 0/10.

I wanted to share another dream I had. Yes Geno was in it don't worry so it's not completely off topic. It's not a smash dream but it sure was...something. So my dream began with the general direct actually happening next week and it started out with a trailer for a new game. It was really funny because Reggie did all the talking for this game and opened up for the video saying that he was really excited to show us their new RPG. Funnily enough the screen cuts to black and you hear an engine revving. Then you see a close up of Mario in a kart but the camera pans out and it's revealed that Toad is in the back of the kart then the title pops up and it's called "Double Dash XP" and yes it's kind of a Mario Kart RPG hybrid. Basically the trailer then reveals that you'll move through a story mode that has you fighting various generic enemies using abilities that the character in the back of your kart has kind of like a MOBA each character has 3 moves plus an ultimate attack unlocked through picking up power ups and landing combos. Basically the driver also has abilities but they are passive and any character can be either driver or passenger. They showed off mini boss and boss fights that actually looked pretty insane. It looked really challenging cuz you had to control your kart in a crazy ever-changing 3D environment while also basically playing a real time strategy game to defeat enemies on top of that. They showed off Toad a lot for some reason and also Dr Mario. They also showed that characters could be customized to a degree cosmetically like they showed Toad in a Captain Toad costume as well as in sunglasses and with different colored spots on its head and different colored vests. Then this is the sad part. Reggie says that Nintendo was really sad that they couldn't get Geno in Smash but they still wanted to include him in a game somehow. And they revealed Geno and Mallow as unlockable characters and that there were 2 whole story chapters dedicated to Tadpole Pond and Star Road. Story chapters appeared to be decently long and all had several relevant bosses and such. The whole presentation was just typical Nintendo in the sense that LM3 really captured the best of Nintendo like really hilarious and crazy but a lot of fun and exciting. Yoshi, DK, Diddy, Birdo, Dry Bones, Wario, Waluigi were also shown as playable and it was revealed that some bosses beaten would be added to your characters like Bowser and Wario. Then they showed a level where you were in a minecart trying to escape before you were swallowed by the giant gas cloud let out by a giant Wario boss. They revealed some more small stuff that I don't really remember. It was quite a long video but as it was ending a kart pulls up and all you can see is an angled shot of the front of the kart as a massive shadow rises out of a pit and the screen cuts to black as you hear Crash Bandicoot say "Woah". The screen flashes for a second and you could briefly see a silhouette of Mario, Crash, and Sonic standing by their karts in front of a chasm as this enormous shadowy creature continued to rise and then that was it. Pretty crazy. Also it had local and online coop. It was kind of funny cuz it didn't seem all that RPG-y but it did look actually really amazing. Plus Geno so instant 10/10.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That's not what he said. All he said was that a meeting with some publisher about Smash wasn't able to happen.
Oops! My bad! Guess I should have kept up with things here.

But seriously, what publisher was it, do you know?

RageCage271

Smash Cadet
All I can say about today's presentation is... EEEEEEEXIT the Gungeon!

Also that I'm much worse at this one than the first one :| Send Help

QQS

Smash Lord
I’m very confident that Wednesday 18 or Thursday 19 we are going to get a date for the next week Direct (probably for Monday 23th).

Geno gets the show on the road!

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
They’ve never revealed a Direct that far in advance before, right? They’ll probably reveal the Direct on the 24th for the 26th.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I wonder if Sabi and Zippo's speculation about Paper Mario 6 being released and it being a "return to the series' roots" will pan out.

If it is true, it's Geno's make-or-break moment. Paper Mario is now the property for a Geno tie-in, whether as part of the game or DLC, and a "back to the roots" entry for a series that started development as Super Mario RPG 2 sets the stage as well as it can be set.
Really hoping Paper Mario goes back to its original ways. Loved the first three, hoping the gameplay ends up like the first two and along with an amazing story as amazing as Super Paper Mario's was. Oh, now would be a great time to bring Geno and Mallow to the Paper Mario franchise as partners/playable characters.

I hope to see Jr. Troopa and the Koopa Bros. return from the first Paper Mario game, they are a few of my favorite characters from the first game. While Jr. Troopa did make a cameo, I really wish the Koopa Bros. made a cameo in TTYD. Also, speaking of the Koopa Brothers, Mark Haynes, aka Alvin-Earthworm, gave them new designs similar to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in his SMBZ reboot. Would be pretty sick if the Koopa Brothers did return to the Paper Mario games and came with ninjutsu weapons this time.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
All I can say about today's presentation is... EEEEEEEXIT the Gungeon!

Also that I'm much worse at this one than the first one :| Send Help
Bounty Battle was the only thing I was remotely interested, and that was in the "Not coming out any time soon" sizzle reel

They’ve never revealed a Direct that far in advance before, right? They’ll probably reveal the Direct on the 24th for the 26th.
I think they have before. Unless I'm remembering wrong, they announced that one Direct on Thursday for that Tuesday, but then the quake happened and delayed it

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I know it's silly, but I'm holding out a tiny bit of hope for an announcement later today for tomorrow. I know it won't happen, but it'd be amazing if it did.
At least we have AC launching in 43h, but man, we need that direct so badly now :(

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
I know it's silly, but I'm holding out a tiny bit of hope for an announcement later today for tomorrow. I know it won't happen, but it'd be amazing if it did.
At least we have AC launching in 43h, but man, we need that direct so badly now :(
it would be pretty awesome for a direct announcement today but i definitely aint putting any faith in it

Polarthief

Smash Lord
it would be pretty awesome for a direct announcement today but i definitely aint putting any faith in it
Oh I have no faith in it, it's just me hoping they want one last huge "PRE-ORDER NOW TO PLAY TONIGHT!" ads for AC. I also just never believed in the slightest the whole "they don't want to take attention away from AC" because I seriously doubt that if someone was gonna get AC, they suddenly wouldn't when other games are shown off. That makes absolutely no sense. AC isn't a F2P game nor does it have microtransactions or a subscription. It's a one-time purchase and once they have your money, what does it matter if you stay interested or not, y'know?

I also don't believe in the coronavirus delaying it, considering they had absolutely no problems with PAX East, Indie World, the Pokemon Direct, and the AC Direct. They all went off completely fine. The gen direct was delayed, Byleth's presentation is proof of that, but there's no way it was because of the coronavirus considering the Byleth Sakurai video was recorded in November, before the coronavirus was going nuts in December.

TL;DR: We better have a March direct because I'm getting so tired of this. At this point, if there isn't a direct next week, I'm gonna start assuming it'll be a June (intended for E3) direct instead, and man I'm gonna go nuts from that.

D

Deleted member

is there a Geno’s WhatsApp group? I have plenty Geno stickers you could like ;D

or not a group, cause this is our group, but if you want them, I can send them to you via private message to spread some Geno love through your friends!
Ever been on Discord? There's a Geno Discord called Star Road someone would have to send you the invite. But it's a dandy place for discussing all things Geno and just plain chilling. Maybe you could share you're stickers there?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Ever been on Discord? There's a Geno Discord called Star Road someone would have to send you the invite. But it's a dandy place for discussing all things Geno and just plain chilling. Maybe you could share you're stickers there?
Does anyone know how to install it on Windows 10?

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Morning Geno thread. No crazy dreams last night. I hope you all are well. Looks like we're still waiting for the full translation of the famitsu column. I totally understand if things get delayed down the line, but the first fighter at least should still release on time.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Been in super lurk mode, but my hope and blessings to everyone during these trying times.

Still confident Geno is either 6 or otherwise 7.

This virus stuff is spooky, but we can get through!

A direct would really help soothe people but sometimes it feels like Nintendo waffles when they actually have a chance to make a real difference in the world. (aka a direct with Geno reveal particularly haha).

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Morning Geno thread. No crazy dreams last night. I hope you all are well. Looks like we're still waiting for the full translation of the famitsu column. I totally understand if things get delayed down the line, but the first fighter at least should still release on time.
Going crazy with this whole self-isolation, but I¨m fine,
Push Dustin has said that he won¨t translate it, but it will be Kody NOKOLO that will do it instead.
For those that do not follow his twitter -> https://twitter.com/nokoloc

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice We’re bored. Have your predictions for 6 - 11 changed in recent weeks - whether by gut or reinterpretation of all your info? Still guessing Geno for 7??

Entertain us! :)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice We’re bored. Have your predictions for 6 - 11 changed in recent weeks - whether by gut or reinterpretation of all your info? Still guessing Geno for 7??

It's best to keep these kind of posts/questions to a profile post or private message; it avoids having the thread get derailed for pages at a time, especially if you're only asking because you're bored.

Firox

Smash Master

To piggy back on this, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , do you honestly think Waluigi has a shot? If so, do you think he'd come before or after Geno and is that just your own personal bias or do you have any evidence to back it up?

EDIT: My questions aren't so much out of sheer boredom, but legitimately curious. I want to get an idea of what impact Waluigi would have on Geno's chances and whether there's any evidence to support it.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
To piggy back on this, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , do you honestly think Waluigi has a shot? If so, do you think he'd come before or after Geno and is that just your own personal bias or do you have any evidence to back it up?

EDIT: My questions aren't so much out of sheer boredom, but legitimately curious. I want to get an idea of what impact Waluigi would have on Geno's chances and whether there's any evidence to support it.
I’d be very curious to know this as well. In particular, I ‘m wondering if there’s any chance Waluigi could be Fighter 6. These strong “Waluigi rumors” have been occuring for almost a year with still absolutely nothing else backing them up. I do think the topic of Waluigi is relevant to this thread because if Sakurai were to add him as a character, it proves stuff like spirits to not deconfirm which is a very relevant topic to Geno’s situation at the moment

Polarthief

Smash Lord
These strong “Waluigi rumors” have been occuring for almost a year with still absolutely nothing else backing them up.
Sorry if I'm ignorant but, what? There were rumors about Waluigi? I thought the only thing he had going was that Nintendo acknowledged the massive fan demand after showing him as an AT.
Geno on the other hand has had rumors since before base. Most of them fake (like he'd be a bonus DLC like PP after FP1 finished, and this was said pre-launch), but some hopefully legitimate. ;)

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I’d be very curious to know this as well. In particular, I ‘m wondering if there’s any chance Waluigi could be Fighter 6. These strong “Waluigi rumors” have been occuring for almost a year with still absolutely nothing else backing them up. I do think the topic of Waluigi is relevant to this thread because if Sakurai were to add him as a character, it proves stuff like spirits to not deconfirm which is a very relevant topic to Geno’s situation at the moment
I'm still of the mind that Waluigi is not happening until the next Smash game. This was back during the Wii U era but I still feel this is relevant

1584553239878.png

Waluigi is as first party as first party gets. Rosalina got in before he did, Daisy got in before he did, a Piranha Plant got in before he did. If Nintendo had any remote interest in putting him in Smash to be playable he'd be in already. Not to mention, you have the likes of Issac, Bomberman, Shadow, and Shovel Knight trapped in Assist Trophies, who arguably would be far better candidates to be sold as DLC versus Wah

Geno I feel is a special case; both belonging to another company, being the face of fan requests since the days of Melee, and with the idea of spirits being disembodied souls and Geno being a disembodied soul until possessing his puppet form his promotion would actually make sense from a story perspective regarding World of Light

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I'm still of the mind that Waluigi is not happening until the next Smash game. This was back during the Wii U era but I still feel this is relevant

View attachment 266148

Waluigi is as first party as first party gets. Rosalina got in before he did, Daisy got in before he did, a Piranha Plant got in before he did. If Nintendo had any remote interest in putting him in Smash to be playable he'd be in already. Not to mention, you have the likes of Issac, Bomberman, Shadow, and Shovel Knight trapped in Assist Trophies, who arguably would be far better candidates to be sold as DLC versus Wah

Geno I feel is a special case; both belonging to another company, being the face of fan requests since the days of Melee, and with the idea of spirits being disembodied souls and Geno being a disembodied soul until possessing his puppet form his promotion would actually make sense from a story perspective regarding World of Light
if i was looking for a response like this, I would’ve gone to GameFAQS.

this tells me absolutely nothing new or interesting.

not trying to be rude, but there was no need for this at all. I was asking for Fatman’s opinion, not yours

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't think they'd need to come up with an in-game justification for promoting Geno from a spirit to a playable character. Mewtwo and Lucas were made into DLC for Smash 4 despite having separate trophies in the base game, and they didn't bother to come up with a reason why.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
and with the idea of spirits being disembodied souls and Geno being a disembodied soul until possessing his puppet form his promotion would actually make sense from a story perspective regarding World of Light
World of Light needs to be modified so Geno is the starting playable character since he's the only one who can leave his body. Then you play the Peach+Twink v Kammy Koopa fight in the first battle, with Peach and Twink being Kirby and Geno (respectively).

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

not trying to be rude, but there was no need for this at all. I was asking for Fatman’s opinion, not yours
You asked in a public forum where anyone can respond, but okay

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Sorry if I'm ignorant but, what? There were rumors about Waluigi? I thought the only thing he had going was that Nintendo acknowledged the massive fan demand after showing him as an AT.
Geno on the other hand has had rumors since before base. Most of them fake (like he'd be a bonus DLC like PP after FP1 finished, and this was said pre-launch), but some hopefully legitimate. ;)

watch this video around the middle, and you’ll see where these “rumors” start to come from. If I recall correctly, Fatman is friends with Paragon

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
World of Light needs to be modified so Geno is the starting playable character since he's the only one who can leave his body. Then you play the Peach+Twink v Kammy Koopa fight in the first battle, with Peach and Twink being Kirby and Geno (respectively).
Unless I'm misremembering, Fatman specifically mentioned that Waluigi has been heard in insider circles but many are quick to write him off and he wasn't really taken seriously. I believe Fatman has mentioned that there are reasons to believe he is coming. It's kind of just a matter of whether or not you take those rumors seriously or not. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I do agree that discussing Waluigi is relevant to Geno in several ways with both being Marioverse characters and both being promotions. If ATs can get promoted then spirits definitely can no doubt about that. However I don't think it's necessary to specifically tag someone and ask for just their specific opinion when you could just take that to dms (not saying you did this Polartheif this is just a general comment).

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

What I guess he was trying to say is this. What does Waluigi have to offer besides being a fan favorite? Nothing, unless they are hiding his own game/a Wario land game where he is playable, but I expect pigs to fly before Nintendo goes that far with him.

The likes of Shadow and Isaac (the latter in a potential position) then what Waluigi does
Shadow is a fan favorite that they can upgrade as a mean to strengthen their relationship with Sega
If there is any interest to review Golden Sun, then Isaac could be added for the same reason as Byleth Corrin.
Geno is in the same position as Shadow, just switch Sega with Square Enix.

What I¨m trying to say that, from a business point of view, Waluigi does not make any sense as DLC in Smash Brothers when there are so many other options that can fill either the marketing or 3rd party cue. Could I be wrong? Sure, and if so I¨m happy for Waluigi fans. But with all cards down the table... you get my point

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
watch this video around the middle, and you’ll see where these “rumors” start to come from. If I recall correctly, Fatman is friends with Paragon
I guess I was just ignorant then. The video's mostly on Paragon but yeah, didn't know there's been some weirdness with him.

Unless I'm misremembering, Fatman specifically mentioned that Waluigi has been heard in insider circles but many are quick to write him off and he wasn't really taken seriously. I believe Fatman has mentioned that there are reasons to believe he is coming. It's kind of just a matter of whether or not you take those rumors seriously or not. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Interesting for sure. I'm not sure whether to make heads or tails of him. Geno I'd bet money on (I really, truly, would), but Waluigi would be a very risky bet.

I do agree that discussing Waluigi is relevant to Geno in several ways with both being Marioverse characters and both being promotions. If ATs can get promoted then spirits definitely can no doubt about that.
Of course, and I've been saying that. I would argue Spirits almost guaranteed not to deconfirm, with ATs way behind that, and Mii Costumes being at the bottom.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
I suggested this on Star Road, but why don't we try to get Jerma involved with Operation Starfall somehow? SMRPG is one of his favorite games of all-time and he's expressed a lot of desire for getting Geno back, particularly in Smash.
Hell, his skin in Jermacraft was Geno.
1584555984918.png

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
So curious what next week will bring.

I would like if Nintendo did something like: "Due to the Corona Virus outbreak, it is causing slowdowns, etc. on all game development (Or however they would word it.) For Smash, the release of DLC will be delayed to an unknown time. Because of that, here is the lineup.

Just release us from this.

Go Geno.

Firox

Smash Master

To be fair, MonkeyDLenny's logic is pretty airtight with:

Considering the number of first party characters (including a random, generic Mario enemy) that got in before Waluigi, I think it's pretty hard, if not impossible, to argue the fact that Sakurai apparently has something against Waluigi getting in. That's precisely the reason why I wanted Fatman to weigh in. Literally ALL logic points to Waluigi as an impossibility, at least for this game, unless someone has concrete insider knowledge to suggest otherwise. I'm not arguing about whether I think Waluigi deserves it or not, but just whether we have any logical reason to assume he has a legitimate chance.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
It's easy to imagine spirit promotions happening because there are workarounds you could do without having to remove content already in the game, but Assist Trophy promotions aren't looking good no matter what.

If Waluigi gets in I want his Assist Trophy removed, but I have a feeling they'll keep it and market him as "the first character to be both a fighter and assist" or whatever, which would be really offputting to me honestly. Rathalos is fine because he couldn't be a boss and assist at the same time, but idk how I'd feel if they made Waluigi playable and kept his assist.

The same goes for all other Assist Trophy summons too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom