• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

protoblues

Smash Cadet
So if it's true we're getting a Nintendo Direct next week (26th?) after the Nindie Direct tomorrow, that would line up pretty well with the physical release of the Fighter Pass.

I wonder if Sabi and Zippo's speculation about Paper Mario 6 being released and it being a "return to the series' roots" will pan out.

If it is true, it's Geno's make-or-break moment. Paper Mario is now the property for a Geno tie-in, whether as part of the game or DLC, and a "back to the roots" entry for a series that started development as Super Mario RPG 2 sets the stage as well as it can be set.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
If you know what chaos editions are, what would your reaction be if they announced official Chaos Editions in a direct?
"Wait... what? You mean they okay'd this but not randomizers? Ffs Nintendo, what is wrong with you?"
But probably with a ton of disappointment and/or anger.

I wonder if Sabi and Zippo's speculation about Paper Mario 6 being released and it being a "return to the series' roots" will pan out.
All I know is if we get Sticker Star 3, I'm gonna lose it. That will 100% break any and all hopes I'll ever have for a proper PM3 since we would then have more bad PMs than good ones at that point (SPM is middle-ground).

If it is true, it's Geno's make-or-break moment. Paper Mario is now the property for a Geno tie-in, whether as part of the game or DLC, and a "back to the roots" entry for a series that started development as Super Mario RPG 2 sets the stage as well as it can be set.
Yeah... but it also doesn't need to happen, and Geno doesn't need an advertisement to get in. It's just gonna be on how much Square's willing to play ball.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Something to consider is that, of the bigger rumors to come out, a big question mark is who exactly is developing the games. Of ones that have been made public, a DK platformer, Paper Mario, and a 2D Metroid. It's been outright said that Retro Studios flat out is not doing the DK game so who is? The 2D Metroid rumors are interesting because some rumors have suggested an indie developer taking the reins with a particular OoOoOoOoH worthy rumor suggesting the team behind Hollow Knight. Again, even if these particular rumors aren't true, there's definitely enough behind the scenes that suggest Nintendo is going to take some flying leaps with some of their IPs this year with popular indie developers being given keys to the kingdom, so to speak.
Hmm, this talk about Nintendo potentially allowing certain indie devs take the helm in the development of some of their franchises reminded me of Reggie's speech in last year's Game Awards.

Special attention from the 2:10 mark and onward before he presents the nominees.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Very fascinating with the XP mod being taken down. It can mean nothing or something.

We've had Project M being discontinued ... and we got Smash 4. Now we have Smash Ultimate DLC 2 coming out and now, out of the blue, XP/Legacy now going dark. It can mean nothing and just coincidence, but it could mean something.

As for the conversation about ownership ... remember too NINTENDO took down music tracks that didn't "belong" to them, like UnderTale and Banjo Kazooie music ... so this could mean something.

Come on Geno! Dear goodness give us something Nintendo!
Geno's legacy has been nothing but a bunch of coincidences that just come back to mock us. That is why I am not putting any stock into the disappearance of Legacy XP. It could just as equally mean we are getting Metal Sonic or Mage Ganon.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hmm, this talk about Nintendo potentially allowing certain indie devs take the helm in the development of some of their franchises reminded me of Reggie's speech in last year's Game Awards.

Special attention from the 2:10 mark and onward before he presents the nominees.
On this topic, this is yet another reason why I keep telling people that despite everything I've heard about Indies being kind of dead in the water for Smash Ultimate, there's definitely a future for them and, believe me, Nintendo's going to make up for popular indie characters missing the boat for Smash. I think Nintendo's onboard with the idea of Indies playable in Smash... Just not yet. Like I said, Cadence of Hyrule was not the end of things but the beginning of some genuinely unbelievable indie cross-overs with major Nintendo IPs, with one of the two I've heard about very likely to finally be shown in the next two weeks, "E3" at the latest.

zferolie

Smash Hero
On this topic, this is yet another reason why I keep telling people that despite everything I've heard about Indies being kind of dead in the water for Smash Ultimate, there's definitely a future for them and, believe me, Nintendo's going to make up for popular indie characters missing the boat for Smash. I think Nintendo's onboard with the idea of Indies playable in Smash... Just not yet. Like I said, Cadence of Hyrule was not the end of things but the beginning of some genuinely unbelievable indie cross-overs with major Nintendo IPs, with one of the two I've heard about very likely to finally be shown in the next two weeks, "E3" at the latest.
I really hope we dont have to wait till a maybe sequel to this game which is many years from now, for an indie in smash. I do hope we get one this game, and they are just super tight lipped about it. Like they were for byleth.

Still i do like how much nintendo is embracing the indie gameing scene in other places.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I'll break my psuedo-silence (hey there, for the people who miss me) by questioning something... why is that when some users derail the thread a little sometimes are they more seriously told off, but when one user constantly derails the thread and never discusses the character that this exact thread should revolve around (*checks notes* that would be Geno btw) they get a slap on the wrist or their behavior is just ignored. Clearly a large sum of the thread dislikes the behavior, so I'm baffled when mods like Megadoomer Megadoomer turn essentially a blind eye to this repeated offense and behavior (especially when you've really gotten on users in the past). Beung off task a little is fine, but my word, are the reactions to this user disproportionate to the amount of times mods have told off this thread for being off task. At least the people who get off task can discuss Geno and want him. This is my first "calling out mods post," but it us genuinely baffling to me. At least when someone like Fatman gets the thread off track (no hate) he can actually utter a word about Geno. I've already contacted Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom the other day about this (unfortunately Venus has been sick), but with this most recent example of repeated unjust action against a user who keeps doing what they do, I've gotten irritated to say the least. When thread regulars and those who actually want Geno and discuss him get told off more than a user who is never on Geno and doesn't even want him... there are issues.

I don't want to gatekeep anyone from the thread. But when wynn was here, a lot of people (including me) asked the same thing, "Why are you here?" It isn't that we don't want users here, but if their behavior doesn't change and the mods are being uncharacteristically (and sort of unfairly) turning a blind eye to the repeated offenses seemingly, then there lie the issues.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I'll break my psuedo-silence (hey there, for the people who miss me) by questioning something... why is that when some users derail the thread a little sometimes are they more seriously told off, but when one user constantly derails the thread and never discusses the character that this exact thread should revolve around (*checks notes* that would be Geno btw) they get a slap on the wrist or their behavior is just ignored. Clearly a large sum of the thread dislikes the behavior, so I'm baffled when mods like Megadoomer Megadoomer turn essentially a blind eye to this repeated offense and behavior (especially when you've really gotten on users in the past). Beung off task a little is fine, but my word, are the reactions to this user disproportionate to the amount of times mods have told off this thread for being off task. At least the people who get off task can discuss Geno and want him. This is my first "calling out mods post," but it us genuinely baffling to me. At least when someone like Fatman gets the thread off track (no hate) he can actually utter a word about Geno. I've already contacted Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom the other day about this (unfortunately Venus has been sick), but with this most recent example of repeated unjust action against a user who keeps doing what they do, I've gotten irritated to say the least. When thread regulars and those who actually want Geno and discuss him get told off more than a user who is never on Geno and doesn't even want him... there are issues.

I don't want to gatekeep anyone from the thread. But when wynn was here, a lot of people (including me) asked the same thing, "Why are you here?" It isn't that we don't want users here, but if their behavior doesn't change and the mods are being uncharacteristically (and sort of unfairly) turning a blind eye to the repeated offenses seemingly, then there lie the issues.
This thread is constantly off topic, so its hard to just blame one user.. Many of you use it as a general social thread all the time, and as a result this thread has reached 2500+ pages. Unfortunately , you all may have exhausted all the possible topics you could think of with this particular character.

That being said, unpopular opinion but If SMrpg were to be remade Id rather Nintendo not have anything to do with it. I really don't think they could do a remake justice and they are always lacking behind in features found in certain genres of games. It's best left in maybe Nomura's hands.(Although he may be ruining KH, but FF7 seems promising)

Firox

Smash Master
Anyone else find it funny how everyone else depicts Geno as a total badass but Stoic Miiverse's interpretation is basically Baby Yoda?
Hey, Baby Yoda is pretty badass. You ever seen him do the magic hand thing?

That being said, unpopular opinion but If SMrpg were to be remade Id rather Nintendo not have anything to do with it.
Agreed. Sad to say, but I think the best part of SMRPG was the Square element of it. Nintendo frankly sucks when it comes to making compelling stories and characters. They rock at puzzles and unconventional gameplay, but rarely break the mold anywhere else.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Anyone else find it funny how everyone else depicts Geno as a total badass but Stoic Miiverse's interpretation is basically Baby Yoda?
Geno is a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Seeing the variety of ways people portray him means two things to me:

1) There isn't enough about his character that one would consider 'canon' and I think Nintendo/SE should look into more things with him
2) He means something different to many walks of life and I find that really special. People wouldn't include him in their work if they didn't care.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think people are just afraid that this thread will eventually get shut down because it gets deliberately derailed by people from other sites. It honestly stresses a lot of people out I've noticed. A good number of people have stopped coming regularly because of it. The lengths that people go to antagonize the Geno fanbase is honestly wild and, if I wasn't so committed to all this, the one dude coming in here the other day accusing the Starlight Children's Foundation campaign of being an evil Geno fan conspiracy would have made me throw my hands up and say "I'm ****in' done." That kind of mental gymnastics is surreal and is like how my idiot uncle thinks the Coronavirus is a "Democrat conspiracy to make Trump look bad before the election."

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Something possibly in bad taste but the eventual memes of 6 being the first Smash character revealed after the Western expansion of Corona and the beginning of the likely global recession/depression will be legendary no matter who it is. On that note, I'm super stressed out for a wide variety of reasons so if I start making really dark jokes, you all know why.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Something possibly in bad taste but the eventual memes of 6 being the first Smash character revealed after the Western expansion of Corona and the beginning of the likely global recession/depression will be legendary no matter who it is. On that note, I'm super stressed out for a wide variety of reasons so if I start making really dark jokes, you all know why.
I think at this point any revealed character would be considered really great news to get our minds off the virus for a bit.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I think people are just afraid that this thread will eventually get shut down because it gets deliberately derailed by people from other sites. It honestly stresses a lot of people out I've noticed. A good number of people have stopped coming regularly because of it. The lengths that people go to antagonize the Geno fanbase is honestly wild and, if I wasn't so committed to all this, the one dude coming in here the other day accusing the Starlight Children's Foundation campaign of being an evil Geno fan conspiracy would have made me throw my hands up and say "I'm ****in' done." That kind of mental gymnastics is surreal and is like how my idiot uncle thinks the Coronavirus is a "Democrat conspiracy to make Trump look bad before the election."
Honestly, America is scary sometimes. Hope you have some healthy coping mechanisms Fatmanonice Fatmanonice

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I know what you mean. With how everything that¨s going on here in Sweden, I¨m on current lockdown because of how everything is going on here in Sweden. The only time I¨m will open the door is when a friend delivers the thing I need such as food or my epilepsy meds. Just give me this direct -_- I need some positivity right now

D

Deleted member

I hear you I'm sure 6 will be great weather it's Crash, Dante, Ryu Hayabusa, Buster Baxter from Arthur whoever but with all that's happening yeah they'll be memes for sure. All the best Fatmaonice you got my support in whatever you're dealing with. Hope it gets better in time.

D

Deleted member

Every time I see someone say this I always get reminded of this scene:
View attachment 265933
Perfect, because it's exactly what I thought about while posting.

I know what you mean. With how everything that¨s going on here in Sweden, I¨m on current lockdown because of how everything is going on here in Sweden. The only time I¨m will open the door is when a friend delivers the thing I need such as food or my epilepsy meds. Just give me this direct -_- I need some positivity right now
Positivity, right? 67,000 people have recovered in China and China only reported 4 new domestic cases yesterday. Japan, the second country hit, is still under 1000 cases. I know that's not local to you, but I think it's hope for everybody. Definitely not the hyper-infectious murder disease that it sometimes gets portrayed as, we're just really screwing around in the west, which is scary enough on its own.

Geno is a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Seeing the variety of ways people portray him means two things to me:

1) There isn't enough about his character that one would consider 'canon' and I think Nintendo/SE should look into more things with him
2) He means something different to many walks of life and I find that really special. People wouldn't include him in their work if they didn't care.
Really, they gave us some mixed signals as to his canon personality, anyway. He's either literally a servant of a higher power, or is the most overly dramatic guy ever, referring to his cause, the preservation of wish granting, as "a higher authority". In Japanese he is extremely polite or else thinks of himself as much younger than everyone else (or both!) due to the "boku" pronoun, and despite this, his magical abilities are enough to make a toy grow to the size of a man and presumably fill it with every weapon that isn't detachable fists.

With what little we have, some people latch on to his action hero badassery, some people latch on to "Geno, polite young man". He is definitely both of these things.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
This post and subsequent posts earlier posts were warned. This is due to a continued trend of off-topic behavior. While coronavirus is considered on-topic, this post is more inline with the Social Thread. Please follow the current flow of discussion.
yeah yeah I know unrelated So my dad Literaly told me to stop going to my job taking care of a friends dogs in exchange of him paying up my missing income. I asked for how ling and his respone? "A loong time" even tho I wash my hands so much that my hands go dry so much faster then before so I guess it all boils down to doing my job because uh no, Im not going to not do my job, my door handle sanitizing, hand washing and locking myself in my room and staying far away from him so I guess Ill have time to wait for this ****ing direct

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm a custodian on an international campus and my wife works at a hotel that's mostly aimed at traveling businessmen. We have no real debt but we're supremely ****ed if either of us gets sick. I have health insurance and she doesn't (we can't afford to both be covered). I have paid days off but she doesn't. I have weirdly good job security but sanitation during a global pandemic isn't exactly ideal, especially since I'm currently in charge of the entire athletic department while their custodian is out for knee surgery. My wife's part time so her job could easily be liquidated. No kids and rent's low but I definitely don't make enough to support us both completely. I have a master's but been trying to play things safe given, uh, everything and she's going to school with my employee discount of half off classes. It's a weirdly unique situation given we're better off than a lot of people but somehow not at the same time if that makes sense.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Honestly, Jason brings up a good point that could point towards this direct being this late because of Corona
"Not the most important thing in the world right now, but it won't be too much longer before the Covid-19 video game delays start. Games that are planned for this month and maybe April should be fine, but after that all bets are off "

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1239660395436089344

I'm a custodian on an international campus and my wife works at a hotel that's mostly aimed at traveling businessmen. We have no real debt but we're supremely ****ed if either of us gets sick. I have health insurance and she doesn't (we can't afford to both be covered). I have paid days off but she doesn't. I have weirdly good job security but sanitation during a global pandemic isn't exactly ideal, especially since I'm currently in charge of the entire athletic department while their custodian is out for knee surgery. My wife's part time so her job could easily be liquidated. No kids and rent's low but I definitely don't make enough to support us both completely. I have a master's but been trying to play things safe given, uh, everything and she's going to school with my employee discount of half off classes. It's a weirdly unique situation given we're better off than a lot of people but somehow not at the same time if that makes sense.
I wish you all the best man. I hope you and your wife both comes out on top

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I just got out of the ER a little while ago, I was tested and just have the flu thankfully. Around my neck of the woods, they're very disorganized, everything's very rushed and the hospital staff is aware of this. The only PPE the doctors and nurses had were paper gowns, paper masks and goggles. When I called them out on this, their answer? "It's adequate."

I just want a ****ing Direct to get here already so we can entertain ourselves at least a little bit while Rome burns.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Ah Wha.. Why do I get hit with spam for having a corona themed post that even came back to the direct but...nevermind.. forget it. just doesnt make sense but whatever

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ah Wha.. Why do I get hit with spam for having a corona themed post that even came back to the direct but...nevermind.. forget it. just doesnt make sense but whatever
Well, it does make sense. This is a repeated act with you specifically considering you constantly go off topic in this thread ONLY.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
So my phone picked up an article that said "We thought Nintendo accidentally confirmed 2B for Smash" and it was literally one of those auto bot confirmation posts that said "@ 2BforSmash confirmed!", like what Malo Mart Malo Mart showed us with the "@ cacomallow" one they did days ago. That's how you know it's an incredibly boring and slow news year, despite the indie showcase thing.

Actually, I dug around in my history and found it, and man am I annoyed that people, OF COURSE, notice the 2B one but not the CacoMallow one.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
So, to keep in the spirit of things, my money's on a Shantae reveal during the indie direct and a Geno reveal in the following general direct. Because why not.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Please check your PMs as I clarified as to the why and please don’t use this thread to voice issues and complaints about moderator actions. It’s better to contact us directly about any issues.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Because me posting that outside this thread would probably be considered erotica and flagged anyways.
Imagine the raids that would come from it from Reddit/GameFaqs/4chan if you did that Fatman ... it would be crazy ...

Well, let's see what tomorrow brings from the Indie Direct ... which I will assume it won't be much ... just hope for a General Direct next week. Come on Nintendo, give us news! Reveal a fighter ... and if it is Geno ... I can finally rest. Lol.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Hey, Baby Yoda is pretty badass. You ever seen him do the magic hand thing?

Agreed. Sad to say, but I think the best part of SMRPG was the Square element of it. Nintendo frankly sucks when it comes to making compelling stories and characters. They rock at puzzles and unconventional gameplay, but rarely break the mold anywhere else.
Agreed. Personally even fan games these days seem to push Nintendo's franchises more than what their willing to do with certain entries.

Ive toyed around with the idea of using Unreal to do a demo of sorts that would show off a more real time action fighting system for a SMRPG remake in the vein of KH. It was basically called Booster's Arena, that just took place in a small arena based off of Booster's castle. The whole point is to show off a battle system so the style of it would just be like a survival mode type deal where enemies would randomly generate or there would be different rounds.

As far party members the demo would allow you to start with I was thinking of starting with Geno and Mario first.

Even thought that Ashley would be a decent addition to the roster as well.( Wario ware I believe. Seemed like a decent Black Mage type candidate)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You know... Video games are going to be a weird godsend during this time... I think everyone is going to be celebrated for Season 2 just because of what a **** show everything is right now. Geno potentially coming this year now has an even heavier emotional weight to it than I think any of us thought possible so it's all hard to digest.

QQS

Smash Lord
Indie Direct: Shovel Knight being the “King of the Indies” being upgraded from an assist to a playable character as #76, bringing Hollow Knight Mii costume + Ori Mii costume. There we have an indie playable (Shovel) and many Mii: Sans, Cuphead, Hollow, Ori, etc. (Also Shantae could be #76 and Shovel remains an assist), to support other indies/female characters. Also note that Shantae was born in GameBoyColor in 2002.

Nintendo Direct next week: Geno being #77.

Anyway, maybe there are only reveals in the General Direct. Im pretty sure we will see #76 this or next week; but I hope to see revealed #77 sooner or June at the least. I hope and believe he is Geno, for all what Farman has said and for many reasons we have.

Geno returns to life!

EDIT: fixed mistakes.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Look what turned up. Looks like that Jeff guy may be right after all.
Here's hoping.
GenoEyes.png

(Checks notes)

A lot. Even this Indie Direct is probably going foreshadow things to come so it's going to be an exciting two weeks if the General Direct really is coming on the 26th.

Also, about Legacy, I can't help but see it as a good thing because, as an elder that has been here for eons, fan projects quietly ending is typically a good sign. If Nintendo jackboots a project very publicly, it usually means that they just got started on an idea that likely won't pan out for a few years. If Nintendo is cough-cough-nudge-nudge about it then that typically means the ideas are going to be implemented in something that's coming out "soon." If Nintendo really did the ole "here's $20 bucks; go see me a movie so me and your mother can have some alone time" with Legacy, we're likely to see things pan out probably by the fall if that actually is the case for this.
So what you're saying is... Nintendo and SquareEnix are about to make hot, sloppy love to eachother...?
TifaScoreGeno.png

It's all falling into place. The first general direct of 2020 is on the horizon
Obligatory:
OhYeahItsAllComingTogether.gif

Y'know what I'd love to see but I know Nintendo would never go for it? Embracing randomizers. I absolutely love A Link to the Past Randomized (ALTTPR); it's breathed new life in a game made back in the 90s on the SNES era. Practically a masterpiece back in the day, but now it's like a new game with the randomizer. Imagine if it was official and on the Switch? Nintendo could even monetize it as like an "enhanced classic" game. You could easily redo the same with the other popular games that have randomizers: Metroids, Pokemon, etc. The only reason I specified ALTTPR is just because it's what I've been playing and it's arguably the biggest randomizer project out there, currently on Version THIRTY-ONE (31) and with an extensive list of customizable options, it's insane! I'd kill to see that kind of devotion for all the old greats, and getting it official on the Switch and with updates to boot made by the current team.

Total pipe dream but y'never know. Then we could also get SMRPGR, which I actually did a run of recently and it was quite insane, but very fun!
They should remake the original Legend of Zelda as an online multiplayer randomizer.
  • You can play through the original Zelda or it's 2nd Quest, completely remade in glorious HD.
  • You can create randomly generated worlds with randomly generated dungeons, items, enemies, caves, etc.
  • You can join up with friends locally or online to explore your randomly generated Hyrule together.
  • The more you play and the more quests you complete, the more rupees you earn, with online quests earning you more rupees.
  • You can use these rupees to purchase new characters/skins and other items to help you out during your quests.
  • Special challenge quests are made available every so often a la Ninji Speedruns from Super Mario Maker 2.
  • DLC characters/skins and items are made available after launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom