• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
First post where I talk about two "rejected" indie characters and multiple people can confirm one is Cuphead. The other is probably coming in Pack 6 if I had to guess.

https://smashboards.com/threads/gen...and-2500-pages.446378/page-2106#post-23748430

This is I believe the first post where I talk about people knowing about Undertale content in Ultimate as early as May.

https://smashboards.com/threads/gen...and-2500-pages.446378/page-1867#post-23693196

Just to get people up to speed, the following names were rumored to be "rejected" by the development team according to different sources since November but many wind up being Mii costumes in the end:

Elecman, Ms. Pac-Man, Gooigi, Cuphead (confirmed), KOS-MOS, Travis, Nightmare, Ryu, "a Microsoft character asked to be kept secret", "a Square Enix character asked to be kept secret", Arle, Kris (Deltarune), Knight (Hollow Knight), "an indie asked to be kept secret", and "a character that no hints want to be given for at all."
Hold up, Ryu is on the "list" now? Since when? I'm still not really believing this, but when did he get thrown on there?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oh i see what you mean. Those kept secrets are most likely becoming mii costumes if anything huh?

I had no idea that happened on 4chan. I dont listen to anything said on 4chan as its 95% fake.

I am still surprised we havent seen any little leaks poping up yet. Does that mean the first character may be a 1st party, or just really tightly sealed? Im thinking the later. I am hoping that its shantae to break both the indie fan rule and spirit upgrade rule, which helps Geno a ton
That's been my train of thought. 6 is probably first party because, weirdly enough, SEGA is the only company that has successfully kept all their characters secret in Smash history. Square's in second because Hero only got out by what could only be described as a series of unfortunate events (with Neil Patrick Harris). Every other third party technically dropped the ball at least once. This is actually kind of the funny thing about Geno. If Geno's real, then him getting out is largely because of Nintendo itself across the company itself and several of its social platforms. Aside from "the Seven Squares" which came from Square itself, all the insider rumors about Geno have come out of Nintendo.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
This post was warned for being spam. Please take it to the Newcomer Discussion Thread or the Nintenzone Social Thread
Dear Leakers on the internet, just come to me and tell me Layton and Sora are never happening so I can finally let go of my hope off a clif that I already tore up, thanks. Just burn them, son

I guess to be on topic, something something geno.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hold up, Ryu is on the "list" now? Since when? I'm still not really believing this, but when did he get thrown on there?
Ryu and Travis were two characters I was specifically told to not expect in December and one of my guys flat out told me to stop putting him on my prediction lists. Travis I could see becoming a Mii costume if not playable. In my opinion, Ryu is like insider rumors of Reimu and Arle, either playable or literally nothing. That's my take on it. I'm in the camp that Ryu was misinformation for Byleth until more comes out. Like I said, Ryu is definitely a "WTF are you" character because I acknowledge that they've come up but there's no real consensus on what they probably are.

D

Deleted member

Ryu and Travis were two characters I was specifically told to not expect in December and one of my guys flat out told me to stop putting him on my prediction lists. Travis I could see becoming a Mii costume if not playable. In my opinion, Ryu is like insider rumors of Reimu and Arle, either playable or literally nothing. That's my take on it. I'm in the camp that Ryu was misinformation for Byleth until more comes out. Like I said, Ryu is definitely a "WTF are you" character because I acknowledge that they've come up but there's no real consensus on what they probably are.
What about Sephiroth and Lloyd?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Feel like you should differentiate from what the mii costume guy has told you and what everyone else has on the topic.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What about Sephiroth and Lloyd?
I think that comments/questions like this might be better reserved for posting on Fatman's profile - I don't want this thread to be derailed by people constantly asking him things like "what have you heard about Shantae and Monster Hunter?", which seems like it would easily happen if people are using the Geno thread to ask one user about a ton of different characters.

Plus, it might help to give these claims publicity; I know that some people have expressed annoyance that they don't hear rumours about characters that they support because those rumours only seem to pop up in the Geno thread. I don't know how valid they are (I'm not 100% sure about Fatman's track record - I've only seen stuff like "a Cuphead Mii costume was rumoured since December" or "Banjo was rumoured since April" long after that content was released, though there's a lot of pages to look through), but it gives people something to discuss as opposed to keeping it quarantined to this thread.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Feel like you should differentiate from what the mii costume guy has told you and what everyone else has on the topic.
Well, if you put it that way:

Kris, Knight, Microsoft costume, Indie costume, Cuphead, Square Enix costume, Secret But Fun costume, Ms. Pac-Man, Gooigi, Elecman, Arle, and Nightmare - supported by Mii Costume Guy or from Mii Costume Guy

KOS-MOS, Ryu, Travis, Reimu, Tracer, Sephiroth, Sol Badguy, Heihachi, Lloyd, and Steve?- from other people

Does this help?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This all just kind of highlights why I prefer rumors over leaks because the ambiguity honestly gives us more to talk about. Imagine if I was like "Geno is absolutely happening, deal with it;" this thread would basically be months of "yuh-huh" and "nuh-huh" until something significant happened. I'm weirdly okay with not knowing things 100% and even things turning out to be flat out wrong. Do you know why the Gematsu leak sucked so much? Because it dominated conversations for months and your ass was dragged for questioning it. That's not fun. Contrary to popular belief, I actually like the variety predictions and how very few people are on board with all 6 of my predictions. Disagreement isn't inherently bad, it's actually really good because it demonstrates that this place isn't a hivemind and people can tell me to **** off without fear of reprecussions.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
This all just kind of highlights why I prefer rumors over leaks because the ambiguity honestly gives us more to talk about. Imagine if I was like "Geno is absolutely happening, deal with it;"
Yuh-huh!

This all just kind of highlights why I prefer rumors over leaks because the ambiguity honestly gives us more to talk about. Imagine if I was like "Geno is absolutely happening, deal with it;" this thread would basically be months of "yuh-huh" and "nuh-huh" until something significant happened. I'm weirdly okay with not knowing things 100% and even things turning out to be flat out wrong. Do you know why the Gematsu leak sucked so much? Because it dominated conversations for months and your ass was dragged for questioning it. That's not fun. Contrary to popular belief, I actually like the variety predictions and how very few people are on board with all 6 of my predictions. Disagreement isn't inherently bad, it's actually really good because it demonstrates that this place isn't a hivemind and people can tell me to **** off without fear of reprecussions.
All seriousness, I agree with you. I've actually kinda gotten to the point (a bit back) where when I hear the term "leaker" I kinda tune it out for a variety of reasons, but not because I want to. For a long time running there, it seems that the word "leak" replace "rumor" really. And in general, rumors have been far more fun to discuss as opposed to "leaks" (be they valid or not). It keeps that air of mysticism alive and oddly kind of reminds of the mid-90s when everyone heard about "the mew hidden underneath the truck" or other game secrets or predictions that nobody had a way of knowing, but by God did it ever spur excitement to try to find out more about a game.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Good to know Geno wasn't on that deconfirm list. Although I would hope that you would end our misery if Geno's end is truly coming and he gets costumed or something. The wait is killing me on what his fate may be. I wonder what the other square character could be for the mii costume if not Geno. Chrono maybe?

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I wonder what the other square character could be for the mii costume if not Geno. Chrono maybe?
See, Crono has the same issues with irrelevancy as Geno but not as much fan support as he does. He had a pretty big push in Brawl and still some fans have stuck around but he doesn't have the same support. Geno was the one that got the Mii Costume in 4, after all. Not to mention, he's another Akira Toriyama designed Square Enix sword fighter, I have trouble seeing the time line where he gets in the pass right after Hero.

D

Deleted member

Please cross your fingers for me.
My mom is in a coroutine, because of potential c-virus infection
A single mom (newborn child) that currently lives with me and my sis have gotten the stomach flu...
My computer is dying on me, and if can¨t afford a new computer >.< and with no computer, no freelance work which is essentially my only income as of now -_- I¨m nervous, scared and stressed out all at ones.
Stay safe and strong I hope all gets better. My thoughts are with you and your family and friends.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Did anyone catch this?

Apparently, we may be getting Fighter Number 6 this month.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Did anyone catch this?

Apparently, we may be getting Fighter Number 6 this month.
Yeah, we've heard. Definitely interesting.

Does he have a license to be here without a Geno hat?
"Reality is whatever I want it to be." - Purple Pie Man, 2020

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
First post where I talk about two "rejected" indie characters and multiple people can confirm one is Cuphead. The other is probably coming in Pack 6 if I had to guess.

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-happy-100-000-and-2500-pages.446378/page-2106#post-23748430

This is I believe the first post where I talk about people knowing about Undertale content in Ultimate as early as May.

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-happy-100-000-and-2500-pages.446378/page-1867#post-23693196

Just to get people up to speed, the following names were rumored to be "rejected" by the development team according to different sources since November but many wind up being Mii costumes in the end:

Elecman, Ms. Pac-Man, Gooigi, Cuphead (confirmed), KOS-MOS, Travis, Nightmare, Ryu, "a Microsoft character asked to be kept secret", "a Square Enix character asked to be kept secret", Arle, Kris (Deltarune), Knight (Hollow Knight), "an indie asked to be kept secret", and "a character that no hints want to be given for at all."
Not sure if you know this, but I'd thought I'd ask anyways. What were the reasons that people believed these names were "decomfirmed" as characters? Not that I'm doubting the list or anything, just mainly curious

axel_

Smash Journeyman

Oh... And I really wanted Travis too, almost more than Geno...
...****.

sad vivi.png

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Screenshot_20200303-120756_Chrome.jpg

Holy crap we're finally getting dlc for Brawl.

Also yeah fp6 is coming soon. By the 23rd it seems.

Edit: check your msgs btw fatmanonice

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not sure if you know this, but I'd thought I'd ask anyways. What were the reasons that people believed these names were "decomfirmed" as characters? Not that I'm doubting the list or anything, just mainly curious
A lot of them just fly in the face of what's likely to be playable if we're brutally honest. Sakurai himself practically squashed echoes as DLC which nixes Ms. Pac-Man and Gooigi, for example. People have stories about some of the others. For example, one story I shared awhile back from one of my guys is that Nintendo narrowed down a new SEGA rep for the Fighter's Pass between Puyo Pop and Persona and left it to Sakurai and his team to decide. Persona supposedly won by a brutal margin, leaving Arle to be sort of an inside joke or so the story goes. I suppose another way of putting it is that people heard these names in official capacities from their own contacts, didn't know what to make of them, but there's enough out there to heavily suggest that a good number of them weren't playable. For example, Elecman is pretty much the token child of this. If Elecman is miraculously playable, there's going to be a lot of questions asked.

D

Deleted member

Quite a while since the last time I posted here.

Sadly things haven't been going quite well for me, but the Ultimate Social Thread is already scared as frick about that so I don't want the fear to expand here.

Anyways, I still feel Geno could be kinda plausible.

Firox

Smash Master
A lot of them just fly in the face of what's likely to be playable if we're brutally honest. Sakurai himself practically squashed echoes as DLC which nixes Ms. Pac-Man and Gooigi, for example. People have stories about some of the others. For example, one story I shared awhile back from one of my guys is that Nintendo narrowed down a new SEGA rep for the Fighter's Pass between Puyo Pop and Persona and left it to Sakurai and his team to decide. Persona supposedly won by a brutal margin, leaving Arle to be sort of an inside joke or so the story goes. I suppose another way of putting it is that people heard these names in official capacities from their own contacts, didn't know what to make of them, but there's enough out there to heavily suggest that a good number of them weren't playable. For example, Elecman is pretty much the token child of this. If Elecman is miraculously playable, there's going to be a lot of questions asked.
While I personally think Elecman would be really cool (though I think X or Zero would have been way cooler) he just seems so random to me. Of all the potential Capcom/Megaman characters, why him? Wait....wasn't he an assist trophy? Did he not come back in Ultimate? HHHMMMMMMMM.......do we have another Lil Mac situation????? I think we may have seriously overlooked this guy.....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Apparently, the html for the Direct page on Nintendo's website was updated.
Yeah, the html was updated. I wouldn't look into it too much though. It's probably just general upkeep and maintenance.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
While I personally think Elecman would be really cool (though I think X or Zero would have been way cooler) he just seems so random to me. Of all the potential Capcom/Megaman characters, why him? Wait....wasn't he an assist trophy? Did he not come back in Ultimate? HHHMMMMMMMM.......do we have another Lil Mac situation????? I think we may have seriously overlooked this guy.....
On this note, this is why I have my "WTF are you" category because a lot of those characters could arguably be playable, a Mii costume, or literally nothing and these are the ones people fight over the most. Sure, most people would agree that Elecman being playable is borderline impossible but throw in characters like Lloyd, Heihachi, Travis, Ryu, Steve? etc and that's when you get the real big divisions in opinions about who's ultimately going to be playable or not. Blow off Ms. Pac-Man and nobody cares but outright dismiss Reimu, Tracer, KOS-MOS, etc and a fight's probably going to break out in most discussion circles.

D

Deleted member

Let's not get too hyped but...

D

Deleted member

A Direct this week would make some sense.

But I'm not counting on It more so with my luck.

Firox

Smash Master
On this note, this is why I have my "WTF are you" category because a lot of those characters could arguably be playable, a Mii costume, or literally nothing and these are the ones people fight over the most. Sure, most people would agree that Elecman being playable is borderline impossible but throw in characters like Lloyd, Heihachi, Travis, Ryu, Steve? etc and that's when you get the real big divisions in opinions about who's ultimately going to be playable or not. Blow off Ms. Pac-Man and nobody cares but outright dismiss Reimu, Tracer, KOS-MOS, etc and a fight's probably going to break out in most discussion circles.
LOL Poor Ms. Pac-Man. Nobody cares about her except for Pac-man, apparently. Misogynist ********..../JK. But seriously, I know what you mean. I've had knockdown drag-outs over whether freaking TETRIS BLOCKS could get into Smash. You wouldn't believe the stuff that people will defend to the death. That said, I do honestly have my doubts as to whether Elecman could be playable simply due to the fact that he lacks what I would call a viable moveset. Consider the fact that Megaman's moveset has to pull from a variety of other fighting robots in order to be well rounded and unique. He's got flame sword, leaf shield, metal blade, etc. etc. AND electro shock up smash. Then you have Elecman...where EVERYTHING is basically going to be some variation of electro shock. I feel that he'd make for a less interesting mashup of Megaman and Pikachu, thus I'm putting my money on Mii costume if nothing else. I'll be totally floored if he ends up an actual fighter, especially over choices like Protoman, Vile and Sigma. Or you know what? Didn't Byleth come with a random dump of Megaman costumes? Mmmmmmm, maybe Elecman isn't coming after all....

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, for good measure, let's NOT get too hyped.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If this means a Direct this week, I'm guessing we can expect the announcement tomorrow and the Direct proper this Thursday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom