• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Wait, if they are celebrating the 35th Anniversary of Mario next week, then wouldn't they have to release a possible Nintendo Direct this week to not conflict with next week, or the week after next? I am not sure if a Direct releasing on the week celebrating Mario's 35th Anniversary would be a good idea, but I could be wrong.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Wait, if they are celebrating the 35th Anniversary of Mario next week, then wouldn't they have to release a possible Nintendo Direct this week to not conflict with next week, or the week after next? I am not sure if a Direct releasing on the week celebrating Mario's 35th Anniversary would be a good idea, but I could be wrong.
The actual Anniversary is in September, stuff just happens around March 10th, because, well, it's Mar10 day. Nintendo tends to make their Anniversary celebrations like they do for Mario and Zelda more of a throughout the year kind of thing.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The actual Anniversary is in September, stuff just happens around March 10th, because, well, it's Mar10 day.
Oh, okay. I get it now. Still, I am not sure if a Direct will be released next week alongside Mario Day, but maybe that is just me.

D

Deleted member

Paper Mario is probably going to be announced on Mario day. I think it’s more likely Geno would be revealed in a normal direct leading up to Mario day and SMRPG on NSO unless there is a Mario day direct or a general direct but Mario is the biggest focus. I think the second is more likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Paper Mario is probably going to be announced on Mario day. I think it’s more likely Geno would be revealed in a normal direct leading up to Mario day and SMRPG on NSO unless there is a Mario day direct or a general direct but Mario is the biggest focus. I think the second is more likely.
Assuming the Direct *is* on Mario day, they'd announce it all there. There's also the weird possibility of it being Waluigi, but I think Geno would be much better, seeing as how Geno is pro-Mario and Waluigi is generally anti-Mario (or rather anti-Luigi, who *is* pro-Mario, so by association, Waluigi is basically anti-Mario). Idfk what I'm saying anymore, don't mind me; hopefully Geno and PM3 next week, let's go!

MisterMike

Smash Champion
here's what I can put together

> March 10th is Mario Day
> Nintendo has already announced two of many Mario announcements for Mario Week
> March 10th is a Tuesday, one of the biggest days for Directs
> Super Mario RPG released on March 9th, 24 years ago
> we have officially passed the longest drought between Directs in Nintendo history
is any of my information wrong? or are the stars aligning? :^)

don't listen to me though I'm blowing smoke
Dude, this is a no-smoking area. I'm gonna have to ask you to leave.

A challenge you will probably decline. Just look at my avatar. I also have knowledge of what the number "621" means, usually with an "e" thrown in there somewhere. Do you really want to accept this challenge? >_>;
I ain't afraid of no furries. But fine, let's not. It would be way too off topic anyways.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Still, my whole theorycrafting point today is that I think Season 2 is going to try to cover a lot of bases, like SNK did.

"Oh? You think Geno sucks? Fine... Here's a ****ton of Square Enix music and some bomb-ass Square Enix Mii costumes to compromise."

"Hate Chief? Fine... Here's some of Microsoft's best music including **** from Minecraft and Conker's Bad Fur Day. Eat a ****..."

Per usual, I'm probably getting ahead of myself but I'm honestly falling in love with this idea, especially if they do this for Capcom and Square Enix because the potential is absolutely absurd. Seriously, imagine if we got Geno and Nintendo goes absolute mad lad and gets **** like Chrono Trigger and the World Ends with You music in the process? You know how Cell dies in DBZ when Gohan destroys him on a molecular level? That would basically be me but with hype.
If this theory is correct then I really hope we do get blindsided by a playable Indie character and then just get a ton of music and Mii costumes from other popular indie games. I wouldn't even care who the rep was if I could get some music from The Messenger and Deltarune.

T2by4

Smash Lord
If this theory is correct then I really hope we do get blindsided by a playable Indie character and then just get a ton of music and Mii costumes from other popular indie games. I wouldn't even care who the rep was if I could get some music from The Messenger and Deltarune.
I think it's safe to say Kris as a mii costume is a safe bet.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Random mario clip for tonight (depends on your timezone)

Zav22

Smash Cadet
For the out of left field character I'd definitely like to see Jibanyan from Yokai watch given how much that series has been represented to the point where it has an anime, but I think Layton might take the spot.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
For the out of left field character I'd definitely like to see Jibanyan from Yokai watch given how much that series has been represented to the point where it has an anime, but I think Layton might take the spot.
Oh god, what if we get Jibanyan as a fighter, but Layton is a Mii Swordfighter outfit?

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Smash 5 has been released over a year so we can conclude that nothing special happened to all known Nintendo franchises. Plus, that would neither justify why we should have presented franchise for DLC nor explain why Nintendo made the first DLC from Mario franchise too. And still, with unused Mario main cast on hand, I wouldn't think it's easy to predict even if Nintendo actually announce the next DLC is Mario franchise.

As a fan, I think the biggest matter is whether Nintendo think Geno still has a strong bond with Mario franchise so that they would like to highlight him on the Mario Day, otherwise SMRPG anniversary might make better sense for any news related to Geno and Mallow. I can frankly say all the SMRPG anniversaries so far are not quite pleasant.

Last edited:

Zav22

Smash Cadet
Oh god, what if we get Jibanyan as a fighter, but Layton is a Mii Swordfighter outfit?
That'd make perfect sense since Layton has used a sword before....... oh no WHAT IF THAT'S WHAT HE USES AS A MAIN MOVESET IF HE GETS IN LOL fans are gonna be rioting at that.

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
That'd make perfect sense since Layton has used a sword before....... oh no WHAT IF THAT'S WHAT HE USES AS A MAIN MOVESET IF HE GETS IN LOL fans are gonna be rioting at that.
Which do you think would be worse:
  1. Jibanyan gets in and Layton is relegated to Mii Swordfighter
  2. Both Jibanyan and Layton are relegated to Mii Costumes released alongside whoever, with the former being a hat and the latter is a Mii Swordfighter

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
If the Direct doesn't drop at all, perhaps we should gather fans and write Nintendo a letter asking why this is the case? Doesn't have to be angry at all, but still...
idk if you are being serious but nah, Nintendo dont need no letter from yall. This is the only thread Ive seen continually hope for a direct everyday

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
If the Direct doesn't drop at all, perhaps we should gather fans and write Nintendo a letter asking why this is the case? Doesn't have to be angry at all, but still...
That sounds like an awful idea. Don't do this. They'll release it when they release it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, if Nintendo does have the final say, they know what games they have coming soon, and in a way, I see a Byleth type character. Someone who can promote one of the rumored/upcoming games. So if it’s not one of Fatmanonice’s blessed 6 (because I really would be ecstatic for Waluigi,Geno, Crash, Lloyd, Dante, and Master Chief), I can see the following:

Paper Mario
BOTW 2 Rep
Sylux or a different Metroid Rep
Dixie Kong

Aside from BOTW 2 and Metroid Prime 4, the rumored Paper Mario, DK, and Metroid games do have me intrested. Plus I see it like this, Nintendo communicates with Sakurai on their upcoming games, why wouldn’t they want to promote something they feel is substantial? They did it with Fire Emblem Three Houses. Of course, that’s just my opinion....

But something truly out of left field?.... Foreman Spike
It is glorious to hear someone say Dixie Kong might have a chance because myself and the rest of us at the Dixie Kong thread have kind of lost hope for Dixie appearing as DLC in this game.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, if Nintendo does have the final say, they know what games they have coming soon, and in a way, I see a Byleth type character. Someone who can promote one of the rumored/upcoming games. So if it’s not one of Fatmanonice’s blessed 6 (because I really would be ecstatic for Waluigi,Geno, Crash, Lloyd, Dante, and Master Chief), I can see the following:

Paper Mario
BOTW 2 Rep
Sylux or a different Metroid Rep
Dixie Kong
While most of us agree on a new Zelda rep overdue, you happen to note three franchises that have been expanded within Smash 5 era, The answer is still that NIntendo have chosen the three they prefer for these franchises, and we can only judge whether the decisions were right or wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Switch_games

If using advertising as a factor, remember there is still debate within this idea since each new game represents a choice, and we got many on hand. ARMS definitely fits in the debate, and we're also getting several new IPs from Nintendo from recently released titles.

Last edited:

Zav22

Smash Cadet
Which do you think would be worse:
  1. Jibanyan gets in and Layton is relegated to Mii Swordfighter
  2. Both Jibanyan and Layton are relegated to Mii Costumes released alongside whoever, with the former being a hat and the latter is a Mii Swordfighter
I'd say number one is great given that level 5 would have a representative and that Jibanyan would be more unique than Layton in my opinion not to mention the series is selling quit a lot that it's almost up there with Pokémon.
Number two is probably the worst because who would the fighter be being released alongside level 5 content? And why them? Plus if Jibanyan did get in as a mii costume I think most would expect it to be a full skin just like cuphead, Sans, etc.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'd say number one is great given that level 5 would have a representative and that Jibanyan would be more unique than Layton in my opinion not to mention the series is selling quit a lot that it's almost up there with Pokémon.
Number two is probably the worst because who would the fighter be being released alongside level 5 content? And why them? Plus if Jibanyan did get in as a mii costume I think most would expect it to be a full skin just like cuphead, Sans, etc.
I could see a Layton costume come with a playable Phoenix Wright or vice versa since they were in a crossover together at one point.

Zav22

Smash Cadet
I could see a Layton costume come with a playable Phoenix Wright or vice versa since they were in a crossover together at one point.
Oh yeah they did do that, I never watched that all the way through but it was cool seeing them crossover. I know some of professor layton but I've watched MOST of pheonix wright and it'd be like breaking the law to see him in smash.

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
In other words, "drunk online shopping. :troll:" Like I've been saying since August or so, a vast majority of the insider rumors that have come involve 1. big fan favorites that have been wanted for at least a decade, 2. characters that would have been borderline impossible before Ultimate or 3. both. Obviously, I have my six predictions but of the 14-15 characters that come up in insider speculation and rumors, most honestly hit this right on the head. While people fight and squabble about the particulars, I will say that there's a couple of things people do agree on:

1. At least one more Western rep.

2. At least one Nintendo character.

3. At least one character that's overwhelmingly identified with Sony or Microsoft.

4. At least one promotion whether it's a spirit, AT, or costume.

5. At least one character that would have been ridiculously hard to negotiate but Nintendo did it anyways.

6. At least one character with a fanbase going back to Brawl or even Melee.

Again, everything points to Season 2 going all out with fanservice and has since last summer to the point it's almost an established fact that most of Season 2 will be borderline unbelievable.
I think Heihachi would also fit pretty well into it: a character previously wanted by Sakurai but at that time too complicated to implement. Now with Daddy Saks having more expertise with fighting game characters he can also make the impossible possible. Heihachi is one of the few Japanese made characters left that would break the internet and as a bonus also the FGC.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I think Heihachi would also fit pretty well into it: a character previously wanted by Sakurai but at that time too complicated to implement. Now with Daddy Saks having more expertise with fighting game characters he can also make the impossible possible. Heihachi is one of the few Japanese made characters left that would break the internet and as a bonus also the FGC.
Unless they open with Namco, I think we won't be able to see who pulls ahead in the Loyd/Heihachi race until we get a couple of characters to figure out whether the tone will be "Fan favorites" or "Break the Internet" with each one definitely favoring one over the other. That said, did Fatman ever say which on he had heard more/felt better over? (If not that's fine, no need to drag things too hard in this direction.

Fortunately, it seems Geno can easily do both due to having banjo tier popularity.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That sounds like an awful idea. Don't do this. They'll release it when they release it.
So sue me; it was just a thought. It didn’t sound that awful to me, anyway. Plus, considering how long it is taking, the idea of just checking to see what was going on didn’t sound like it would hurt to do.

Last edited:

protoblues

Smash Cadet
I just wanna join the legendary Geno thread. Maybe y'all could give me your thoughts on some things.

I think Geno's biggest hurdle is that he doesn't have an obvious sales tie-in. Of course there could be a release of SMRPG for Nintendo's online service, but this doesn't bring the big bucks.

Banjo also had this problem, but Nintendo and MS were really creative and open-minded with that negotiation. I think that's how we ended up with Cuphead and Ori on Switch. So there's obviously some flexibility in what's possible.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on how Nintendo and Square Enix would try to make the most of Geno if he is included. The most obvious move to me would be for him to play a major role in the next Paper Mario game. But I'm 1. not sure what Intelligent Systems is doing and 2. not sure if Nintendo is serious about the Paper Mario series. Also, the Alpha Dream (RIP) games were more of a successor to SMRPG--they included a Geno cameo in the first game, and had the same composer--so I'm also unsure of whether the Paper Mario team would be interested in making a successor to SMRPG.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, who is ready to be disappointed if a Direct doesn’t come? I mean it will come when it comes, but still...

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Rip me, wrong board, apologies, thought this was a different one, still asleep, ignore me

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Why are we still talking about Directs as if the last one wasn't a week ago? I think we all need to chill.

I shudder to think how some people would react to the wait for information on other games like Elden Ring which we only have a teaser for after a whole year
Hey, don't mind me. I was just saying. Plus, I am chill.

EDIT: Rip me, wrong board, apologies, thought this was a different one, still asleep, ignore me
Shame...On...You. Nah, just kidding, you're good.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Unless they open with Namco, I think we won't be able to see who pulls ahead in the Loyd/Heihachi race until we get a couple of characters to figure out whether the tone will be "Fan favorites" or "Break the Internet" with each one definitely favoring one over the other.
*Cough* Soul Calibur *cough* Nightmare *cough* you forgot.

Sorry, I just had to do it when you said the word ignore. :troll:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, kind of like pinshadow pinshadow pointed out yesterday, there's definitely reasons for Mario Day to be a big deal this year because of the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros but I realized there's even more reasons for Nintendo to drop megaton announcements for Mario this year outside of "it's 2020, hurrdurr":

-Super Nintendo World is opening in Japan this year.

-Mario is one of the official mascots of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

With these in mind, rumors like a new Paper Mario, Geno/Waluigi in Smash, 3D World on Switch, and even a full ass new 3D Mario announced at E3 are honestly plausible if 2020 is going to be the year that Nintendo flexs Mario's massive Italian sausage to the world.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Since the Miyamoto interview is in a magazine, it would need to be printed before hand. Meaning the info will probably shown off beforehand, like how Sakurai does his columns. Direct announcement today with a direct on Thursday with whatever the interview is about dropping on the eshop on March 10th? Let's hope so.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Since the Miyamoto interview is in a magazine, it would need to be printed before hand. Meaning the info will probably shown off beforehand, like how Sakurai does his columns. Direct announcement today with a direct on Thursday with whatever the interview is about dropping on the eshop on March 10th? Let's hope so.
I dunno about the Direct being today. I hear the Reddit leaker who got the Animal Crossing Direct date right says that the General Direct is likely to be next week.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
People keep saying "Chill, we'll get a Direct when we get one, be patient.", but here's the thing...

Here's Nintendo's line up of First Party games for the year and beyond:

March
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX (Remake of a GBA and DS titles)
Animal Crossing New Horizons (New Entry)

April
Nothing.

May
Nothing.

June
Nothing.

July
Nothing.

August
Nothing.

September
Nothing.

October
Nothing.

November
Nothing.

December
Nothing.

TBA 2020
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

???
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 [Tentative Title]
Metroid Prime 4 (likely 2022)

...and people wonder why there are fans that are begging for a Nintendo Direct. There's not many first party games for 2020 that have been announced. Plus we have the Fighters Pass Volume 2 to consider as well, since Fighter 6 should be almost ready.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Both Heihachi and Lloyd would bode really well for Geno I think. But it seems like Heihachi would definitely break the internet more as you say. A character who was attempted but deemed impossible plus if my understanding is correct, Heihachi is like a main character who's a villain basically. Forgive me if that's a misunderstanding I'm not at all familiar with Tekken. But if that's the case then that's something we haven't seen before: a villain being the first representative of a series and a third party series no less. That would be another fan rule to take a blow and the more these rules topple the better it is for our star boy. And both Heihachi and Lloyd have impressive fanbases and are requested characters so that too bodes well for Geno. Heihachi is also just really cool and even tho I'm not a fan of other fighting games, he's one fighting game character I'd actually be excited to see. I don't think he'd break the internet to levels like Master Chief or Sora would but probably around the level that Ridley did which is certainly nothing to scoff at. I have to admit that I'm more interested in Kloana and Nightmare because I like mascot characters and characters that have impacted my gaming experience respectively but I know it will probably be Heihachi or Lloyd and I absolutely have mad respect for both of those characters and they'd deserve it.

I just wanna join the legendary Geno thread. Maybe y'all could give me your thoughts on some things.

I think Geno's biggest hurdle is that he doesn't have an obvious sales tie-in. Of course there could be a release of SMRPG for Nintendo's online service, but this doesn't bring the big bucks.

Banjo also had this problem, but Nintendo and MS were really creative and open-minded with that negotiation. I think that's how we ended up with Cuphead and Ori on Switch. So there's obviously some flexibility in what's possible.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on how Nintendo and Square Enix would try to make the most of Geno if he is included. The most obvious move to me would be for him to play a major role in the next Paper Mario game. But I'm 1. not sure what Intelligent Systems is doing and 2. not sure if Nintendo is serious about the Paper Mario series. Also, the Alpha Dream (RIP) games were more of a successor to SMRPG--they included a Geno cameo in the first game, and had the same composer--so I'm also unsure of whether the Paper Mario team would be interested in making a successor to SMRPG.
Essentially yeah I agree that it boils down to sales or I'd also argue relevance. Clearly, as you have already stated, Banjo is proof that these cannot outright prohibit a character from getting included, but they probably are Geno's biggest hurdles in terms of whether Nintendo and/or SE are going to be willing to chose Geno opposed to a character from a different IP. Geno is also in this super weird limbo of basically being a third party one hit wonder in a first party franchise for Nintendo. No other characters really have this kind of weird position as well as insane levels of fan support making him quite the oddity among other speculated characters.

Unfortunately I don't think Nintendo and/or SE will ever make the most out of Geno's character. I think part of the reason Geno's Smash support is so massive is because it's basically his only shot of resurfacing so the stakes for Geno fans are generally just so much higher than fans of other (popular) characters. I don't think we will ever see Geno in Mario games again whether it be RPGs, Mario kart, Mario sports, Mario party, etc. I could maybe see more small cameos but nothing major. It's truly a shame but I really don't believe that either company knows how to handle the awkward legal limbo that Geno exists in and are simply more content to let the character be a dead albeit very popular character. I think the closest thing we would get to relevance is SMRPG coming to NSO.

Dukefire

Smash Master
If you haven't noticed, Nintendo has been putting up trailers for upcoming games lately. A minute long of each game trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom