• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Still, I'm feeling optimistic for Geno's chances this year no matter when the Directs air.

D

Deleted member

This song will play when Smash Ultimate’s DLC ends and we all walk away with the 4 highest requested characters of Smash history.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Knowing they get hyped for pretty much anything, it will indeed be very hype. Well, except for Byleth. Yikes did you SEE that reaction, it was pretty bad.
Meh.

I did enough screaming (well, internal screaming) of my own to make up for their disappointment.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Huh. That was weird. I was on the spirit board just now and was picking my primary spirit when I saw that all the DLC non fighter pass spirits on my list were now a default spirit icon instead of their picture, even if you picked them. I exited the game and reopened it and it was fine now.

Perhaps Geno is trying to take over.

D

Deleted member

Huh. That was weird. I was on the spirit board just now and was picking my primary spirit when I saw that all the DLC non fighter pass spirits on my list were now a default spirit icon instead of their picture, even if you picked them. I exited the game and reopened it and it was fine now.

Huh. Did you happen to take a capture of it?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I highly doubt Geno will make into Ultimate as a DLC fighter because he's already a spirit. They have to make fighter spirits for the DLC fighters but they can't really do that with Geno. I wanted a Resident Evil character (Leon would've been the most likely, but I prefer Wesker) to be a playable fighter, but that seems very unlikely now that we had the Resident Evil spirit event. Another favorite character of mine is a spirit, so he isn't getting into Ultimate either.

I would also say that because Geno is from MRPG, he would still be considered first-party and therefore most likely not be suitable. However, with Byleth a thing, I can no longer say this.

Geno is possible for future Smash games (if we're being hopeful enough for a new Smash game), but I just don't see it happening in Ultimate.
https://youtu.be/x3x8zfHcNd0

I disagree.

link2702

Smash Champion
I’ve said it before but I’m gonna do so again, I truly believe byleth was not meant to originally be the character to end season 1. The original end character was swapped out last minute for them.

The question still remains though; why? I’m not sure if it was to bait a leaker out, because they were having issues (either programming or paperwork wise) with the original final character and needed some more time, or if they felt they should start season 2 off incredibly strong with a major fan request since anyone who probably was gonna get season one already had by then.(this might be the most likely scenario)

MattX20

Smash Hero
A thought occurred to me. Given that Mario and Luigi have Wario and Waluigi as evil/bad counterparts, you think Geno's would be the equivalent of the Cryptkeeper from Tales from the Crypt?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A thought occurred to me. Given that Mario and Luigi have Wario and Waluigi as evil/bad counterparts, you think Geno's would be the equivalent of the Cryptkeeper from Tales from the Crypt?
Just remake Puppetmon in RPG style as some kind of expy. :p

He can actually make voodoo dolls of others, and Geno used to be a doll in a similar way. But yeah, there's a lot of possessed dolls. Goosebumps has more than one of them too. Weird part is Slappy isn't even the most evil, as he has a more evil brother, and there was a stalker doll after him that even had him terrified.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Geno's evil counterpart is the possessed wooden effigy of the Twinkie Mascot that I keep locked in my basement.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
It has been almost half a year since a normal direct. and I am slowly being driven insane by lack of actual news, which means it's time to start looking way too deep into stuff that isn't there. So after what happened a couple weeks ago with the whole Cuphead spirit event I decided to look into the in-game smash website, specifically the numbers tied to each Spirit Event and Tourney. Here's what I found. Each Spirit Event and Tourney is displayed with the day they started and ones with an asterisk happened out of order later than they should have according to the numbers.

01.Spectacled Spirits 12/13/2018
02.Fire Emblem Fest (Part One) 12/20/2018
03.Oh Yeah! Mario Time! 12/27/2018 3 New Super Mario Party spirits
04.Classics! 01/03/2019
05.Double XP and SP! 01/10/2019
06.Fire Emblem Fest (Part Two) 01/17/2019
07.Metroid Mania 06/27/2019***
08.The More the Merrier 01/24/2019
09.MEGA SPIRITS! 01/31/2019
10.Well-Rounded Spirits 02/07/2019
11.Power, Wisdom, and Courage 02/14/2019
12.Kong Family Reunion 02/21/2019
13.Hard 'n' Heavy Metal 02/28/2019
14.Taking the Lead 03/07/2019
15.Green Is the New Black 03/14/2019
16.Spring Snackfest! 03/21/2019
17.Kings & Queens of the Sky 03/28/2019
18.Cruisin' for a Bruisin' 04/04/2019
20.Super Smash Sisters 05/30/2019*** Peachette Spirit Added
21.Nintendo Labo SMASH KIT 04/25/2019*** 4 New Labo Spirits
22.The Right Staff 04/11/2019
23.Castlevania: Spirit Nocturne 04/18/2019
24.Tall Tails 05/02/2019
25.Mum's the Word! 05/09/2019
26.Suit Up! 05/16/2019
27.Spirit Shield Slowdown 05/23/2019
28.Making a Splash 06/06/2019
29.Return to Koholint 06/13/2019
30.Talk to the Cape! 06/20/2019
31.Beware of Spikes 07/04/2019
32.Squid Pro Quo 07/11/2019
33.Triple EXP & SP! 07/18/2019
34.Mother Series 30th Anniversary 07/25/2019
36.Step on the Gas! 08/15/2019
37.Change Your Fate! 08/27/2019
38.Experience before Youth! 09/12/2019
39.Arsenals at the Ready! DAEMON X MACHINA 09/26/2019 4 New Daemon Ex Machina Spirits
40.Autumn Snackfest! 10/10/2019
41.Attack of the Tetriminos! 10/24/2019 5 New Tetris 99 Spirits
42.Smash by the Sword 10/31/2019
43.New Galar Region Pokémon Discovered! 11/21/2019 4 New Pokemon Spirits
44.SSB Ultimate Is One Year Old! 12/05/2019***
45.Ready? Wallop! 02/13/2020*** 4 New Cuphead Spirits
46.Oust Resident Evil! 11/28/2019 4 New Resident Evil Spirits
47.Chain the Future to Spirits! 01/16/2020*** 4 Astral Chain Spirits
48.River City Smash 01/23/2020 4 New Kunio Spirits
49.So Comfy! So Cool! 12/26/2019
50.Spirits in Black 02/27/2020 New WarFrame Spirit

01.Heroes vs Villains 08/08/2019
02.Original Class of '64 08/22/2019
03.The Ultimate Partnership 09/05/2019
04.The Next Big Super Star 09/19/2019
05.Battle for Spirit Supremacy 10/03/2019
06.Hefty Heavyweights 10/17/2019
07.Mano a Mano 11/07/2019
08.Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield! 11/14/2019
09.A Tribute to Melee 01/02/2020***
10.Bringing Back the '80s 12/12/2019
11.Some Training, Professor? 02/06/2020***
12.amiibo Tag Team Tourney 01/09/2020***
14.Hailing from the '90s 02/20/2020***
15.Mega Tourney! 12/19/2019

There's a couple of weird things to point out here, the two most obvious being the two gaps in the Spirit List, 19, and 35. Both are interesting for different reasons.
  • 19 was skipped over along with 20 and 21, both of which appeared shortly later and both contained new Spirits. 19 however never appeared and there is no real explanation I can give why. It would have occured sometime in April/May I suppose but I don't know what to make of that.
  • 35 is even more interesting. See, the week it should have theoretically happened was the week of Heroes release but for some reason, there was just no event that week. The only other time this occurred was the week of Byleth's release. but that didn't seem to disrupt anything, Hero's did. 34 was the week before, and then a blank week, then the first tourney the following week, and then 36. So what happened to 35? We have a Spirit event meant to occur during the week of Heroes release that was skipped over for unknown reasons. Was it meant to be tied with a Square mii costume that was pushed back? A Three Houses spirit event, since the event would have happened the week directly after the games release? It could just be something completely random, but that doesn't explain why they would completely skip over it and then not go back to it eventually. It should be noted that other character releases such as Plant and Joker did not stop random Spirit Events from occuring during their respective release weeks.
Here's something else interesting. Imran Khan actually said last month that Byleth was delayed from December to January
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Downloadable Contents Discussion Thread 9   New Decade  Same Old De...png

And these number actually support that. Let's take a look
  • The Cuphead Spirit Event is 45 yet doesn't show up for almost 3 months after it was planned.
  • Looking at the Tourney Numbers, 10 was held the Week of the 12th, so if it followed the numbers, 11 would be the week of the 19th, and 11 just so happens to be Byleth's Tournament, yet instead 15 is moved up to that week instead, skipping a whole 5 numbers.
  • The Week after that is a spirit event, which again, rather than following the numbers skips over 47 and 48, both themed events, straight to a random event not tied to anything. Later on, Byleth's Tournament was followed the week after by the Cuphead event, so it was likely going to be placed here instead.
  • Also should be noted that if Byleth had been released the week of 12/19/19, it would have been the week directly after the Game Awards, the place where Nintendo suspiciously had no First-Party announcement despite having one for the past 5 years, along with the trailer being a clear bait and switch like Joker's.
So yea, interesting stuff. Again, don't take this toooo seriously, I do think this might be overthinking a bit.

Last edited:

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
I’ve said it before but I’m gonna do so again, I truly believe byleth was not meant to originally be the character to end season 1. The original end character was swapped out last minute for them.

The question still remains though; why? I’m not sure if it was to bait a leaker out, because they were having issues (either programming or paperwork wise) with the original final character and needed some more time, or if they felt they should start season 2 off incredibly strong with a major fan request since anyone who probably was gonna get season one already had by then.(this might be the most likely scenario)
Can you not bring up that dumb conspiracy theory again? There's been zero evidence that would suggest that as a real possibility, it's completely baseless.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Where do we think Sakurai and Co. are at in terms of progress on Fighters Pass Vol 2? Do you think they have 3 characters completed so far? 2? 4?

if Cacomallow is real, that makes me think they are way ahead on characters...unless the mii costumes aren’t developed along the fighter that they come packaged with..

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Where do we think Sakurai and Co. are at in terms of progress on Fighters Pass Vol 2? Do you think they have 3 characters completed so far? 2? 4?

if Cacomallow is real, that makes me think they are way ahead on characters...unless the mii costumes aren’t developed along the fighter that they come packaged with..
With the promised due date being December 2021 I wouldn't expect the first character's release until the second half of the year honestly. Have a feeling they only recently started development, with 6 almost being ready for showcase.

MattX20

Smash Hero
With the promised due date being December 2021 I wouldn't expect the first character's release until the second half of the year honestly. Have a feeling they only recently started development, with 6 almost being ready for showcase.
The December 2021 date is more just a general placeholder, we're basically guaranteed to get them all before then

D

Deleted member

Speculation feels really slow right now... good thing there might be a direct probably the week after next.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The December 2021 date is more just a general placeholder, we're basically guaranteed to get them all before then
Yeah we will get them before the end of 2021 I'm 100% sure, I'm just saying that I'm not expecting these characters to come out as fast as Fighters Pass 1 since I feel they only started development fairly recently.

I mean the deadline for Fighters Pass 1 was February and :ultbyleth:released just one month short of that.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace

Form what I've heard, it happens because the pngs of the spirits are taken from Internet, and their image dissapear when your Switch isn't connected to Internet. The images are then downloaded after a future update.

Polarthief

Smash Lord

I would assume:
- 1 completed and will be shown this/next week
- 1 more completed or very close to being completed who will be shown at E3
- 2 the models are done for and they're working on animations/projectiles/etc; 1 of these are mostly finished and will be ready by E3, while the other will be for the late Q3/early Q4 Direct
- 2 that don't even have a model yet who will likely be shown off at Q1 2021 Direct and E3 2021.

If CacoMallow is real, Geno is already done. Doomguy if he's getting in as well, likely also done or close to done. I still think CM is real w/o Doomguy getting in, as I do think Geno and Crash are DLC 6/7 (unknown order) and I feel like Master Chief will take that FPS character slot from DG as it's kinda expected to see another Microsoft rep IMO (plus DG has that somewhat hit against him after it was said that no talks for him has happened, but that could always be NDA-speak). Geno could easily be next, giving us the Mallow costume and Crash being the first at E3 would give us Cacodemon hat as one of those "extra" costumes, like how Byleth came with Altair, Cuphead, and some other randoms.

If they don't have one character completed or pretty much completed at this point, I don't know how they did 6 characters (including Plant) and did them amazingly well in 13~14 months while they still had the base game being made during Plant and likely most of Joker's development. Yes they gave themselves an extra ~11 months or so extra time, but that doesn't mean they have to use it.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
On the topic of "spirits deconfirm" there's two things I want to scream every time it's brought up. Sorry if you've all moved on, I'm a little behind.

First of all, saying something can't happen because of a "pattern" is the literal definition of a fan rule. People keep saying "it's not a fan rule it's a pattern". 1 character per third party company and no pacifist characters were once "patterns". What makes it a fan rule is when you assume it can't change. It's literally the exact same thing.

Second, just because something hasn't happened yet doesn't make it a pattern. The Earth has never stopped spinning. Is that a pattern? No it's just something that hasn't happened. Just like no third parties double dipping was just something that hasn't happened. So far they haven't added any half life characters. They've added 6 dlc characters now, and none of them are from half life. Clearly it's a pattern just like no spirits and now Gordon Freeman is disconfirmed right? Every character they've added has made an appearance on a Nintendo system. Is that a pattern now that disconfirms 2B? Of course not. It's just something that hasn't happened yet. We can't claim that everything they haven't done yet is a "pattern" and should affect speculation.

I swear, I get so sick of this ****.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Wow, it's amazing to think we're already done with February. Time really does fly, huh? I'm really feeling confident that we'll be getting a general Direct this week. Putting aside the fact that most Directs tend to drop early in the month, and to my knowledge almost never happen in April of a year, we have two possible dates that would be pretty much perfect for a Direct:
  1. March 3rd is the 3-year anniversary of the Nintendo Switch's launch, so a big blowout of news on that day would be pretty sweet.
  2. March 10th, or "Mario Day", would be the perfect time to showcase the new Spring/Summer games/DLC, especially if those happen to be related to Mario.
Odds are pretty good we could see a Direct on or around those dates.

I think I remember Sakurai saying that FP6 was basically already done, or ready to be shown off at the very least. So yeah, I'm going with FP6 already being pretty much done, FP7 and FP8 are still being developed, and the rest not even being started yet.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Anyone actually buy Fighter's Pass 2 yet? I feel like that's kinda weird by Nintendo to put it up for pre-purchase and not even give a hint to any characters on it. At least for Fighter Pass 1 they announced Joker pretty early to get people hyped. I'd at least want to see one character before committing 30 bucks to a group that I may not even want.

Branching off of that I do wonder who the first Fighter Pass character will be. Seeing how Byleth was supposed to be the grand reveal and that didn't go over well with a lot of people I can't imagine Nintendo is actually putting thought into the order of the characters / wanting to get people hyped so it could really be anyone. I sorta just hope if Geno's in it he's first just so all this waiting can come to a nice conclusion as early as possible.
Absolutely not getting it until we get a few characters I can respect in it or characters I really want. I feel like that's fair of me as a consumer and it wouldn't be hard for them really since I do respect a wide range of characters. Geno is of course who I'm really hoping for but there are still many other characters I'd really love to see for a variety of reasons. I can't justify the purchase without them really impressing me a couple of times tho. I was pretty disappointed by FP1 overall even tho I respected all the choices excluding Byleth and I don't play the game much any more and all my friends quickly moved on from the game so I don't have much reason to buy the pass unless some really crazy characters get in.

QQS

Smash Lord
So:

-March 3rd: 3 years anniversary of the Switch
-March 9th: 24 years anniversary of SMRPG
-March 10th: Mar10 Day

Prepare for news/ports/sequels/remakes/new games of:

-Mario64
-Sunshine
-Galaxy
-Odyssey
-PaperMario
-MarioRPG
...and most notably: GENO FOR SMASH!

Geno wakes up to Smash!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
So:

Prepare for news/ports/sequels/remakes/new games of:

-Mario64
-Sunshine
-Galaxy
-Odyssey
-PaperMario
-MarioRPG
...and most notably: GENO FOR SMASH!

Geno wakes up to Smash!
We can only hope at this point

Polarthief

Smash Lord
While all these dates are on Monday/Tuesday, I can't help but feel we're like 99% sure to get a Direct by the 10th. If we don't, I'm gonna go insane, if I somehow didn't already. I bought DQ11 much earlier than I expected (pretty good deal, $37.50 on Amazon) just to distract myself. I can't go that much longer DX

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
They have to begin FP2 with an amazing explosive character.

I just think Geno #76 in March (probably March 9th because the SMRPG’s °24 anniversary or March 10th to celebrate MarioDay bringing back a new port, a new remake, a sequel or probably PaperMario to the Switch with Geno playable there as PaperGeno and/or Geno for Smash and/or SMRPG to the NSO; while Crash #77 at E3 in June to climb the mountain even higher.

It could work upside down also: Crash being #76 to have a monster beggining-reveal; and Geno at #77 to recreate the Banjo-Kazooie atmosphere (best epic fan request making it in) and to fit the number #7.

I can’t think about better candidates to be #76 and #77, for me they are Crash-Geno; and the rest could work perfectly for Hayabusa, Waluigi, Bandana, MasterChief, Doomguy, Dante, Shovel, Tails, Eggman, a new Pokémon, a new Zelda rep, Isaac, Lloyd or Heihachi (+Link with his new outfit to the new Soul Calibur game on Switch to promote it).

Anyway, Cloud is the biggest Square mascot and he didn’t need an E3, so there are no rules and patterns. Geno could perfectly be a General Direct reveal or an E3 reveal. What I know 100% are that he is coming anyway (#76 or #77) and that his CGI trailer will break the internet, it will be the most beautiful piece of art ever made in Smash. (also with Mega Man & Banjo-Kazooie).

Geno would close this era of 24 years long fan demand + love for the character, the big four would be already in playable; and Crash would finish this Mascot Icons playables in the same game. Can you believe a fight between: Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Crash, Banjo, Cloud and Snake in the same game? It will cover almost all Nintendo + icons from other companies + the mascots of each one (most notably you will have Mario’s rivals being Sonic from Sega & Crash (as the PS1 face) & Banjo (as Rare/Microsoft rep). The old school battle of consoles with their own heroes would be back in the same fight.

Geno & Crash (or Crash & Geno) would fulfill the Everyone’s Here with justice for the characters and love for the fans, just like they did with Mega Man and Banjo.

Geno will keep the house (us) satisfied and Crash will keep the eyes of the world on him, probably beating the other mascots impact.

Geno awakens!
People always say how Crash would complete the picture of mascots in Smash and don't get me wrong he is definitely a much needed addition for his role as a major mascot, but for me personally the picture will never be complete without Rayman too. I know Rayman hasn't seen the same success but he was definitely a big part of the mascot picture back in my day lol. I really think Rayman's chances are totally shot which really bums me out, but hopefully we can at least still get Crash.

I highly doubt Geno will make into Ultimate as a DLC fighter because he's already a spirit. They have to make fighter spirits for the DLC fighters but they can't really do that with Geno. I wanted a Resident Evil character (Leon would've been the most likely, but I prefer Wesker) to be a playable fighter, but that seems very unlikely now that we had the Resident Evil spirit event. Another favorite character of mine is a spirit, so he isn't getting into Ultimate either.

I would also say that because Geno is from MRPG, he would still be considered first-party and therefore most likely not be suitable. However, with Byleth a thing, I can no longer say this.

Geno is possible for future Smash games (if we're being hopeful enough for a new Smash game), but I just don't see it happening in Ultimate.
Well I'm late to reading this so I'm sure you've already discovered how this thread responds to "spirits disconfirm" not the best subject to bring up but I do understand why it makes you wary.

Weaker is a character I really want as well but I know it would have been a different RE character if one were to make it in. Unfortunately, with how timing panned out with FP2 being decided and the RE spirit event, a RE rep in FP2 seems highly unlikely.

I'd say spirits from base game are definitely in a different boat than those that showed up afterwards. Regardless, you're not wrong that FP1 was set up a certain way and that this thread is placing an awful lot of faith in the prospect that FP2 will not be set up the same way. I similarly find it difficult to believe that FP2 will be different without definitive proof. I will never ever give up on Geno or the fine people in this thread tho and I hope even if you can't find hope for Geno that you'll stick around and give speculating a shot with all of us just to be a part of the community.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I'd say spirits from base game are definitely in a different boat than those that showed up afterwards. Regardless, you're not wrong that FP1 was set up a certain way and that this thread is placing an awful lot of faith in the prospect that FP2 will not be set up the same way. I similarly find it difficult to believe that FP2 will be different without definitive proof. I will never ever give up on Geno or the fine people in this thread tho and I hope even if you can't find hope for Geno that you'll stick around and give speculating a shot with all of us just to be a part of the community.
Definitely this. I feel like (base game) spirits did deconfirm for (most of) FP1, but they won't for FP2. Spirits added during FP1, especially after E3 last year, very likely deconfirm for FP2 (so for example, Resident Evil is extremely unlikely). I also say this "rule" applies to Assist Trophies, but that's just me. I don't necessarily want them, but I'm rooting for Isaac and Waluigi to be AT-promoted (SK I would like though).

I just don't understand why anyone would think a JPEG added in 2018 would affect the possibility of a character almost/more than 2 years later. If the Geno costume from Sm4sh was the consolation prize to not getting him playable, how the hell is a Spirit in any way a consolation prize? That's a significant downgrade. While I still think Geno is a lock, absolute worst case scenario is they make a premium Mii costume for him, but Sakurai's likely aware that doing another costume would be a huge letdown.

I truly do think that Sakurai intended Geno to be #5, back when FP1 was the "expected" end of the DLC, but Byleth was pushed by Nintendo instead, and we got a second FP pushing Geno into that instead.

Knowing they get hyped for pretty much anything, it will indeed be very hype. Well, except for Byleth. Yikes did you SEE that reaction, it was pretty bad.

Meant to comment on this sooner: I like how the reaction to "Too many swordsmen, are there?" was about as loud as the actual reveal. But yeah, what a mild reaction. Hopefully we'll get 6 BK-levels-of-hype reveals for FP2. If these truly are the final 6 characters of Smash forever (or at least for a super long ass time), they've gotta be pretty hype, yeah?

Edit: LAST 3 PAGES TO 100k LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited:

Zav22

Smash Cadet
Welcome to the forum!

My favorite part of PM Geno is it's use of Geno Blast. It's so creative and sets up some really great off stage follow ups. I don't even think Sakurai could find a better way to utilize Geno Blast, but let's hope I am wrong if we get that luxury.
I actually really liked how they used geno blast in this too with how it comes down at an angle and looking like different colored stars. Not to mention how they used geno flash as his recovery by having him turn into his cannon form to shoot himself back onto the stage. Very curious how Sakurai would top that if geno gets into ultimate for his moveset.

It'll probably be a E3 like they did with joker and if so it's gotta be a showstopper of a character. I honestly can't imagine any other way for the first one other than in the next direct, and the due date of 2021 in December would mean the character releases would be way more spread out than the 1st fighters pass. We might be here awhile.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Reread my post. Theres a difference between just being a popular character and having huge smash support, sometimes, for better or worse.
I know what you wrote... and I say again... This is one of the poster boys of iconic villains. Of course, there is solid support for him. There is a reason why Square put him in the supposed "seven names" that floated around before Hero got revealed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom