• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Like I said the other day, it's kind of irrelevant when it comes to Smash because most of the conclusions people are coming to are the same conclusions people have been coming to since the fall. If I were to just be bold faced blunt about it, you probably have like 14/15 characters that are still taken seriously and probably like 9 companies. A whole lotta mix and matching so it's a lot less varied than predictions for the Fighter's Pass were.
I wanted to PM you about something. I see we cannot "Start a Conversation" with you though.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just to poke a finger in the eye of the situation, let's reduce the current insider speculation to a "Choose Your own Adventure" kid's placemat at Denny's:

Oh boy! You're a Smash insider! Make a prediction list to feed the crazed, news starved masses! First, answer these questions until you get 6 that satisfy you:

Ryu: real or not?
*Free Space: insert Nintendo character here*
Master Chief or Steve?
Sora or Geno?
Lloyd or Heihachi?
Reimu or Travis?
Crash in Smash: yes or no?
Capcom: yes or no?
Pokemon: yes or no?

There... I just summed up like 90% of the honest conversations I've had with people in like the last four months... Seriously, most peoples' predictions are just a shuffling of these topics.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Master Chief or Steve?
Sora or Geno?
Lloyd or Heihachi?
Reimu or Travis?
So as far as new companies it's only Koei (kiiiinda), Suda, Activision, and whoever does tohou that are being considered. Interesting...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So as far as new companies it's only Koei (kiiiinda), Suda, Activision, and whoever does tohou that are being considered. Interesting...
Again, if I were to be super blunt, these seem to be the companies that people are taking seriously at this point. Of course, this is just people's speculation and I kind of want to remind people that virtually nobody took SNK seriously and look what happened there. This isn't definitive, this is just "this is basically the wavelength most people are on right now and have been for months."

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Just to poke a finger in the eye of the situation, let's reduce the current insider speculation to a "Choose Your own Adventure" kid's placemat at Denny's:

Oh boy! You're a Smash insider! Make a prediction list to feed the crazed, news starved masses! First, answer these questions until you get 6 that satisfy you:

Master Chief or Steve?
Sora or Geno?
Lloyd or Heihachi?
Reimu or Travis?

There... I just summed up like 90% of the honest conversations I've had with people in like the last four months... Seriously, most peoples' predictions are just a shuffling of these topics.
Reimu is actually going around? Really? You seemed pretty firm on the idea a couple months ago that you hadn't heard her or any other females going around at all.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Again, if I were to be super blunt, these seem to be the companies that people are taking seriously at this point. Of course, this is just people's speculation and I kind of want to remind people that virtually nobody took SNK seriously and look what happened there. This isn't definitive, this is just "this is basically the wavelength most people are on right now and have been for months."
What about Bethesda? Pre-FP5 some of your sources were saying them, no?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Marina Lightyears from Mischief Makers?
Hmm...

1. A game published by ENIX back in 1997.
2. One of the rare gems from the N64 era.
3. Would satisfy the "female rep" demand.
4. Would potentially bring a grappler-type fighting style (and a fast moving one at that).

You might be onto something lad.:2gud:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Reimu is actually going around? Really? You seemed pretty firm on the idea a couple months ago that you hadn't heard her or any other females going around at all.
I'm mentioning predictions. She's on the prediction lists of some people in my network. Not my contacts but some confidants. Like my little placemat thing illustrates, people have heard different things and, even if they haven't, they come to different conclusions. I personally think indies are totally ****ed. People who are in the camp of "indies are possible" are predominantly siding with Reimu, Travis, and/or Steve. I don't think we're getting Pokemon. Some people do. I think Sora's rumored situation is Bad News Bears. Other people don't think it's a big deal. It's that sort of thing.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
View attachment 263292

Do you think she knows of Geno?
I’ve spent many a sleepless night staring at the ceiling wondering

“Are Lumas and Star Spirits the same thing?”

“Are the seven Star Spirits elder Luma like Polari?”

“What about Star Sprites like Starlow?”

“Is Geno a Star Spirit like the seven, or a Sprite, or a Luma, or something else entirely?”

To these questions I have no definitive answers, but for my own speculation... they’re all related and yes Geno knows Rosalina

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What about Bethesda? Pre-FP5 some of your sources were saying them, no?
A couple of things that shaped their predictions:

-Long standing rumor that there were going to be two Western characters after Banjo. (Master Chief didn't start being taken seriously as a real possibility until late December.)

-Nobody knew yet that it was completely possible for big companies to have Mii costumes without playable characters (Ubisoft). Like I said in December, most of my contacts believe Cacomallow is real so assuming Cacodemon was attached to a Bethesda character was just a logical conclusion at the time.

-Very prevalent belief that the Fighter's Pass was going to be entirely third party, further supported by the fact that first party characters almost never came up.

-Very prevalent belief that the Fighter's Pass was predominantly going to involve companies that supported Switch right off the bat (Dragon Quest XI and Skyrim were pretty much the first third party games announced back when it was simply NX).

-Very prevalent belief that the Fighter's Pass wasn't going to have promotional Nintendo characters ala Corrin.

In short, predicting 5 was a mess because there were factors that people didn't know were relevant, people really weren't sharing information, leads were few and far between, everyone was kind of tired and pissy anyways, etc. That whole two month period was, objectively speaking, total dog**** and I'm glad it'll probably never be that bad again.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
A couple of things that shaped their predictions:
Ah, so nobody was actually saying Bethesda because they'd really heard Bethesda.

Either way, I really don't think they should be out of the running. Altair's Mii costume doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of Cacomallow in my opinion. Ubisoft was already a part of Ultimate, so I imagine it was far less effort to ask them for a little bit more than it would be to go to Bethesda. We haven't gotten costumes from an unrepresented third party just yet.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ah, so nobody was actually saying Bethesda because they'd really heard Bethesda.

Either way, I really don't think they should be out of the running. Altair's Mii costume doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of Cacomallow in my opinion. Ubisoft was already a part of Ultimate, so I imagine it was far less effort to ask them for a little bit more than it would be to go to Bethesda. We haven't gotten costumes from an unrepresented third party just yet.
5 just sucked to the point that even most insiders were making educated guesses based on what they knew. I cannot stress enough that the gap between Terry's release and Byleth's was probably the most bull**** in Smash speculation history. As a senior citizen of Smash speculation, I knew 5 was probably going to either be super niche or super controversial with the Smash fanbase and why I just kind of dreading it and why I felt chunks of my soul evaporating when people were innocently predicting characters like Sora and Dante with shining eyes and boundless optimism.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Geno, after Sakurai buys him from Square Enix.

If it comes down to the final Ultimate character (I don't believe for a minute that this will be the last Smash game period; even if Sakurai wants it to be, Nintendo would never allow it to end here with how much money the series makes them. On top of the chance Sakurai just changes his mind next year) and it isn't Geno, then at the very least I want a 'Mr. Sakurai presents: Why I was unable to add Geno' video where he goes into detail about how he couldn't get him, or no longer wanted to for whatever reason. I'd be annoyed if the answer turned out to be 'I just didn't want to go through the trouble', but if it was the honest truth, I'd take it.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
You guys remember the James Bond rumors way back? Well...if the SE costume is Gex then we got our James Bond, assuming he'd wear his black tuxedo and be for the Mii Brawler.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Geno, after Sakurai buys him from Square Enix.

If it comes down to the final Ultimate character (I don't believe for a minute that this will be the last Smash game period; even if Sakurai wants it to be, Nintendo would never allow it to end here with how much money the series makes them. On top of the chance Sakurai just changes his mind next year) and it isn't Geno, then at the very least I want a 'Mr. Sakurai presents: Why I was unable to add Geno' video where he goes into detail about how he couldn't get him, or no longer wanted to for whatever reason. I'd be annoyed if the answer turned out to be 'I just didn't want to go through the trouble', but if it was the honest truth, I'd take it.
Woah, hey there! I know you were supposed to have left the forums (Maybe for some amount of time), but how have you been?

Also, I would feel the same way about if Sakurai did not want to "go through the trouble".

D

Deleted member

You guys remember the James Bond rumors way back? Well...if the SE costume is Gex then we got our James Bond, assuming he'd wear his black tuxedo and be for the Mii Brawler.
James Bond? More like James Pond
3D6BB2C4-6083-4A4B-A879-15805DE3E322.jpeg

...I’ll see myself out.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yet another reason I think Geno's happening is because Sakurai knows we're all getting old. Back in the Brawl days, he commented that children who played the original Smash were now young adults and, 12 years later, we're old AF. The character selection for Ultimate is much more similar to Brawl than Smash 4. Brawl's character picks were overwhelmingly big fan favorites while Smash 4's were mostly grandstanding the success of the Wii and 3DS's biggest games. Ultimate is definitely overwhelmingly big fan favorites. Wario, Dedede, and Sonic in Brawl are definitely comparable to Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo in Ultimate.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
In short, predicting 5 was a mess because there were factors that people didn't know were relevant, people really weren't sharing information, leads were few and far between, everyone was kind of tired and pissy anyways, etc. That whole two month period was, objectively speaking, total dog**** and I'm glad it'll probably never be that bad again.
Well too bad, navy man. The sequel, Fighter Pass 5 2, is comin' in about a year's time guarenteed, whether you like it or not. So you'd better prepare your hole, sailor boy, 'cos it's comin' in HARD and it's comin' in RAW.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Woah, hey there! I know you were supposed to have left the forums (Maybe for some amount of time), but how have you been?

Also, I would feel the same way about if Sakurai did not want to "go through the trouble".
I've been as fine as I was, before (off and on sickness, way too much free time that I waste anyway). Unironically, thanks for asking. I often go some time without even glancing at this place, but there's always about a 30% chance that I'm watching, but you just can't see me. Like a monster in the corner.

I really do want to get an answer for Geno's absence if he doesn't turn up, though. Like, we know why Ridley wasn't on the table for ages - because of the 'too big' reasoning. I want to know what Geno's 'too big' is. As it is, it's like a nameless wall keeping him out unless it's elaborated on.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Question for you all: We get a "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" remix. Which composer(s) should be in charge?
ACE, because every single remix they made in Smash is PURE FIRE!

D

Deleted member

Question for you all: We get a "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" remix. Which composer(s) should be in charge?
As much as I would love to hear ACE’s rendition, I think it’s only right that Shimomura composes it. She did do the original after all.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I could see other Super Mario RPG tracks remixed by others, but Beware the Forest's Mushrooms seems like something that Yoko is a must for.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
As much as I would love to hear ACE’s rendition, I think it’s only right that Shimomura composes it. She did do the original after all.
Grant Kirkhope. Yoko did one of his, so he should do one of hers.

Release the sacred power that was sealed away for decades and make the circle complete!

Secondary choice; I would love to see David Wise get a crack at a song in Smash.

If not David, get freaking Mick Gordon on here. His work is perfect for combat music, so maybe he could get Fight Against an Armed Boss?

Last edited:

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
If Geno got in I'm guessing the Forest Maze would be the stage but what would that look like? Would it have Bowyer as a stage hazard / background? Would it be a walk off stage?

Also if he got in the inevitable chandelier pic-of-the-day in Byleth's stage with Peach, Mario, and Bowser would be really cool.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
If Geno got in I'm guessing the Forest Maze would be the stage but what would that look like? Would it have Bowyer as a stage hazard / background? Would it be a walk off stage?
This is my idea for what that'd look like. Please excuse the high quality of the image.
CrappyMSPaintGenoStageMockup.png

BluYoshi828

Smash Rookie
Minecraft may have started out indie, but I'd hesitate to argue it still holds that label. That said, could still see it being a "premium Mii Costume" situation anyway. That label isn't just for "indie" series, just is a coincidence so far I feel. Cuphead started out indie as well, but given its success, I'd argue it'll soon join Minecraft in terms of prestige.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
This is my idea for what that'd look like. Please excuse the high quality of the image.
View attachment 263323
Grr!

(Also that's a pretty good idea of what a Mario RPG stage could look like. Im hoping for a transforming stage that goes through everything, but if I had to choose what I think would actually happen, weapons factory, Forest Maze, or star hill would be my picks.)

Last edited:

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be cool to have he stage as the mushroom forest and have bowyer as a stage hazard. Have him shoot arrows and if it lands on a player, they freeze for about 5 seconds, or have the buttons of smash, and if the arrows land on it you can’t grab items, you can’t smash the a button or the b button. That would be a cool way of making that stage unique

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Anyone else banking on Zippo being accurate and just counting the days to next Thursday now? *shaking*

... I just really want the dang direct, okay?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Anyone else banking on Zippo being accurate and just counting the days to next Thursday now? *shaking*

... I just really want the dang direct, okay?
While I definitely respect the hard call he made for the AC Direct on the 20th, I'm not holding my breath. We don't usually get Directs this late into the month, so unless Nintendo's gonna be weird with this one (which wouldn't be too much of a stretch, really), we'll most likely get it in early March.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
While I definitely respect the hard call he made for the AC Direct on the 20th, I'm not holding my breath. We don't usually get Directs this late into the month, so unless Nintendo's gonna be weird with this one (which wouldn't be too much of a stretch, really), we'll most likely get it in early March.
Isn't that... a fanrule though? It exists until it doesn't anymore.

She's a literal pipedream. But I would be so excited for her if by some miracle she got in.
I'd be ecstatic with it. She doesn't have nearly enough of a kit to be a playable fighter, but I'd be thrilled if she got in Smash in any form.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
View attachment 263323
Yo, nice idea! It kinda left inspired to expand on the idea a bit. So here's a reeeeeeally rough draft of how I think the Geno stage should be done, with background elements and all. I think it'd be really neato if you could see other landmarks from SMRPG from afar.

forest maze stage proof of concept but not really.png

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'd be ecstatic with it. She doesn't have nearly enough of a kit to be a playable fighter, but I'd be thrilled if she got in Smash in any form.
I was excited when my boi Goemon got a Mii costume back in Banjo & Kazooie's pack because never in a million years did I expect him to appear in Smash in any form and he got a Mii costume. It literally made me cry tears of joy because he is my absolute most wanted character ever and now that he has a Mii costume he really isn't a pipedream anymore because he has a legitimate chance for the future to get in even if it's not in Ultimate. A Marina Mii costume would almost make me as happy as the Goemon Mii costume.

Last edited:

slopdop

Smash Cadet
Just having Mischief Makers and Marina be relevant again would be a dream for me. Real shame it never got re-released on both Virtual Consoles. Here's hoping like Stunt Race and other new old titles that didn't come to VC get a shot at a N64 Switch Online.
Heck I'd buy a Marina Mii Costume in a flash at the least if not a fighter. Similar to Goemon showing up I'd actually be really hype for that too. Would be neat if she got paired with a Geno fighter Mii Costume round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom