• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I just love all the characters added in this series and the amazing music. I'm sorry that it sounds spoiled, but I just want them to keep adding characters to Ultimate. I don't even mind clones. I don't care if they are simply reskins; just throw as many characters possible to this game. I don't need a new Smash game. I don't want a reboot. Just support Ultimate throughout the Switch's life. Hell, if stages are too much, forget them.

And the perfect first stop in bringing in more characters? Geno.

And Mallow.

And Boshi.

....................and Kamek, Dixie, Isaac, Geno, Phoenix, Crash, Jeanne, Protoman, Tom Nook, Shadow, Ninten, Black Mage, Sora, Geno, Alph, Blastoise, Zack Faire, Bandana Waddle Dee, Doc Louis, Geno, Waluigi, Chun-Li, Ms Pacman, Impa, Rex, Skull Kid, Geno, Funky Kong, Kraid, Slippy Toad, sans, Black Shadow, Raiden, Medusa, Geno, Porky, Celica, Soma, DJ Octavio, Mumbo, Septile, Alucard, Geno, Toad, Tails, Zero, Shantee, Elma, Shovel Knight, Geno, Geno, Demise, that dragon from Ring Fit, King Hippo, Knuckles, Tifa, Mona, Black Knight, and Geno.

Just add EVERYONE.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
....................and Kamek, Dixie, Isaac, Geno, Phoenix, Crash, Jeanne, Protoman, Tom Nook, Shadow, Ninten, Black Mage, Sora, Geno, Alph, Blastoise, Zack Faire, Bandana Waddle Dee, Doc Louis, Geno, Waluigi, Chun-Li, Ms Pacman, Impa, Rex, Skull Kid, Geno, Funky Kong, Kraid, Slippy Toad, sans, Black Shadow, Raiden, Medusa, Geno, Porky, Celica, Soma, DJ Octavio, Mumbo, Septile, Alucard, Geno, Toad, Tails, Zero, Shantee, Elma, Shovel Knight, Geno, Geno, Demise, that dragon from Ring Fit, King Hippo, Knuckles, Tifa, Mona, Black Knight, and Geno.
Fun fact: 9 Genos were named in this part.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
TBH I didn't hear about that. All I know is 2 songs, 2 very, very specific songs that are tied to Geno, were taken down. Something SMRPG-related is happening, and the only thing I can think of is Geno in Smash. Like I said, nothing is 100%, but it's looking pretty dang good.

Also I said this about a page or two ago, but yeah, it's one small piece of the puzzle, but when you combine a lot of small pieces, it starts to make a picture. Taking *everything* into account: The songs, the missing costume, Sakurai saying Nintendo superseded his pick for DLC 5 (because they wanted to push Byleth) and even backing Geno himself, the legacy and history Geno has had with Smash and even SMRPG's history in gaming (correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it what brought RPGs to Western mainstream?). Nothing is ever 100%, but Geno's chances are very high and have more going for him than pretty much every other front-runner character.

Nope, just circlejerking over past stuff. A small convo did happen between Fatman and Mandy though...

TL;DR: Mandy and Fatman chatted. Mandy revealed that their source said Geno is 5th before backpedaling and saying "Now Byleth is 5th, dunno where Geno is, don't expect him anytime soon" (I'm paraphrasing btw). Mandy also revealed that his source said Crash is 6th; that's not his own speculation.
okay I don’t know how I missed this.

if it’s not too much, could someone provide the page number in this thread about this exchange between Mandy and Fatman?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
if it’s not too much, could someone provide the page number in this thread about this exchange between Mandy and Fatman?
Too lazy to look (mostly because this site runs like butts; it's SO BAD JUST TRYING TO _REFRESH_ A PAGE!), but it was within the last 10 pages I'm pretty sure. It was fairly recent.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
Once Geno makes it into Smash, we need Nintendo and square enix to make a remaster of Super Mario RPG. So that both new and old fans can experience this wonderful title once more, or for the first time.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Once Geno makes it into Smash, we need Nintendo and square enix to make a remaster of Super Mario RPG. So that both new and old fans can experience this wonderful title once more, or for the first time.
But not if it's remotely close to the M&L remakes, because man oh man do I really not like that Dream Team art style. That might be what killed off half of my interest in that game.

Also if it was like the same style of game, but a touch different, what I'd love is some customization, like badges in Paper Mario. Don't get me wrong, I love SMRPG (tied for #1 favorite game of all time), but I think it could do better with customization. Weapons/Armor are mostly straight forward: New ones are generally better and the old ones are trash. The most "customizing" you have is in your 2 extra party members (MAKE MARIO REMOVABLE FROM THE PARTY IN THE REMAKE!) and the accessories. I'd love just a bit more wiggle room if you get what I mean.

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
I want a true sequel. Square Enix said they have a Nintendo Switch division after the success of Octopath. I feel like they should work with Nintendo and bring back Geno not just in a remaster but something to continue his story.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I forgot to post this here but like a year ago, I had a dream where Geno actually did get into Smash and when I checked the Smash site he wasn't named Geno but was instead called "Geno from Super Mario RPG" as his character name and I don't know how I feel about that.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I just love all the characters added in this series and the amazing music. I'm sorry that it sounds spoiled, but I just want them to keep adding characters to Ultimate. I don't even mind clones. I don't care if they are simply reskins; just throw as many characters possible to this game. I don't need a new Smash game. I don't want a reboot. Just support Ultimate throughout the Switch's life. Hell, if stages are too much, forget them.

And the perfect first stop in bringing in more characters? Geno.

And Mallow.

And Boshi.

Just add EVERYONE.
Everyone? But you forgot Bomberman, Midna, Doomguy, Geno, Dante, Pig Ganon, Ashley, Rayman, Lyn, Dr Eggman, Louie, Geno, Arle, Sephiroth, Marx, Gooigi, Cranky Kong, Travis Touchdown, Geno, Conker, Starfy, Captain Syrup, Krystal, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, the Grinch, Geno, Akuma, Heihachi, Lloyd, Tom Nook, Reimu Hakurei, Cacodemon, Mallow, Geno, Mimikyu, Quote, Ryu Hayabusa, Octoling, Shadow, Ghirahim, Geno, Goku, Goku (the monkey one)™ , Plok, Agumon, Poochy, Earthworm Jim, Scorpion, Sol Badguy, Heavy Weapons Guy, Toxtricity, Jimmy T., Shrek, Geno, Phoenix Wright, Gruntilda, Professor Layton, Pink Gold Peach, Dr. Baby Purple Quartz Waluigi, Baby Geno, Geno, Sakurai, Garfield, Movie Sonic, Movie Mario, Bubsy, Gex, Master Chief, 2B, Mickey Mouse, Weird Al, Altair, Godzilla, Geno, Boogerman, Spongebob, Malo, Goomba, Hat Goomba, Spiderman, Error from Zelda 2, PapaGenos, Geno, Fatmanonice, Leanbabyunderlava, Laxchris, Steve, Steve Harvey, Glass Joe, Tingle, Jinjo, Klaptrap, nintendog, Geno, Wii Safety Strap Guy, Monika, Freddy Fazbear, Rick Astley, Fat Albert, Mr. Incredible, Joe, Geno, Ed, Edd, Eddy, Stunfisk, Michael Jackson, Shaggy, Dan Hibiki, Geno, Geno, Gandalf the grey, Gandalf the white, Monty Python and Holy Grail's Black Knight, Benito Mussolini, the Blue Meanie, Cowboy Curtis, Jambie the Genie, Robocop, The Terminator, Captain Kirk, Darth Vader, Lo-pan, Superman, every single Power Ranger, Bill S. Preston, Theodore Logan, Spock, the Rock, Dock Ock, Hulk Hogan, Geno, Geno and Geno.

Clearly, the roster won't be complete until each and every single one of those characters listed are in. :ultpacman:

QQS

Smash Lord
I know Geno playable is coming 100%, either as #76 or #77. I settle only with him playable. I will be forever grateful with the people who made this dream come true. One of my top 3 video game characters (Link, Mega Man & GENO) in my favorite game after 24 years.

But just for fun, What would be your reaction if not only they announce Geno playable in Smash; but also Geno playable in Mario Kart, Mario Party, and a sequel of MarioRPG?

Just asking for fun, cause I’m 200% done and happy just with Geno playable in Ultimate (which makes sense it would come also with MarioRPG to the Switch library), and also I think this is the most likely scenario (only Geno in Smash + a port back). Makes total sense also because MarioRPG was in the Virtual Console + preinstalled onMini Snes).

But can you imagine also in Kart, Party and a Sequel or Remake? It would be a lot to digest at once. But Geno playable in Ultimate it’s the only thing I ask, that would be the best and epic return. As long as we get that, I don’t care if he is added to other Mario games. But of course it would be even nicer!

(Credits to the artist).
692A68E5-AF7A-4FE1-9B5D-0D79BD243402.jpeg

What would be papagenos papagenos and Fatmanonice Fatmanonice reaction? Best wishes from Chile!

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I know Geno playable is coming 100%, either as #76 or #77. I settle only with him playable. I will be forever grateful with the people who made this dream come true. One of my top 3 video game characters (Link, Mega Man & GENO) in my favorite game after 24 years.

But just for fun, What would be your reaction if not only they announce Geno playable in Smash; but also Geno playable in Mario Kart, Mario Party, and a sequel of MarioRPG?

Just asking for fun, cause I’m 200% done and happy just with Geno playable in Ultimate (which makes sense it would come also with MarioRPG to the Switch library), and also I think this is the most likely scenario (only Geno in Smash + a port back). Makes total sense also because MarioRPG was in the Virtual Console + preinstalled onMini Snes).

But can you imagine also in Kart, Party and a Sequel or Remake? It would be a lot to digest at once. But Geno playable in Ultimate it’s the only thing I ask, that would be the best and epic return. As long as we get that, I don’t care if he is added to other Mario games. But of course it would be even nicer!

(Credits to the artist).
View attachment 262697

What would be papagenos papagenos and Fatmanonice Fatmanonice reaction? Best wishes from Chile!
So basically, 2020 would be the year of Geno? Sign me right up! I'd be overjoyed.

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice

(Credits to the artist).
View attachment 262697

A man can dream...

Polarthief

Smash Lord
If they buy the rights, would that include Culex as well?
If they bought all of SMRPG, I would assume so, yeah. The Crystals of the Elements might need to be tied to Square though, especially if they keep reselling the old FFs that rely on said crystals.

It's just sad that 2 great heroes plus so many villains and NPCs are tied to Square. Imagine a game where Wario and Booster meet. The Axem Rangers make a return in a Paper Mario game. Mallow and Geno are playable in Mario Kart and also become regular Mario characters to boot, which would mean anything with Star Spirits and Rosalina(?) would likely include Geno as well.

But nah, let's just let SE own the rights to what's effectively a gold mine of dead characters. It's a crying shame :(

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
The themes associated with him are straight from Final Fantasy, but other than that, yeah, I think so.
I'm by no means knowledgeable in this, but I would assume song/audio rights aren't the same as visual rights. "Owning the rights to SMRPG" would own the rights to all visuals (such as characters) in the game, but not the songs. Again, just my assumption.

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
I think Frogfucius as a Mario tutorial figure just fits amazing and could be used in so many games.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I think Frogfucius as a Mario tutorial figure
I'm just gonna stop you right there and condemn you for saying "tutorial figure". That would also be a really sad existence to become. I wouldn't want to hate Frogfucius like people hate nagging characters like Navi.

(but yes, he would fit pretty well if we have to have a "tutorial figure"... ugh, it felt awful just typing that sentence)

Edit: Reminder that Sakurai's thing is being posted on Thursday at midnight (Japan's time). Wednesday seems like a great day for a direct and DLC 6 reveal (if he actually talks about a character or something).

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I'm by no means knowledgeable in this, but I would assume song/audio rights aren't the same as visual rights. "Owning the rights to SMRPG" would own the rights to all visuals (such as characters) in the game, but not the songs. Again, just my assumption.
You're right, if we assume the music is owned by the composer instead of the company like with other Square games, then Nintendo wouldn't be buying the its soundtrack anyway.

Luckily, Yoko Shimomura seems to be a cool gal as far as lending out her songs go, so they'd probably have no issue with getting the rights to her music, I assume

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Edit: Reminder that Sakurai's thing is being posted on Thursday at midnight (Japan's time). Wednesday seems like a great day for a direct and DLC 6 reveal (if he actually talks about a character or something).
Spoiler Alert: The direct won't be next week and was delayed until March but Sakurai will still talk about the fighter. To compensate, they will censor the fighters name so no one knows who he's talking about.
"Since Brawl, I've always wanted to include **** from Super Mario RPG in Smash. There were roadblocks with things like getting rights from Square Enix and time constraints but we've now managed to get **** in. As you may know, he was a Mii Costume in 3DS and Wii U and a spirit in Ultimate but we've made **** a full fighter now."

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
I'm just gonna stop you right there and condemn you for saying "tutorial figure". That would also be a really sad existence to become. I wouldn't want to hate Frogfucius like people hate nagging characters like Navi.

(but yes, he would fit pretty well if we have to have a "tutorial figure"... ugh, it felt awful just typing that sentence)

I didn't mean it in a bad way... I wouldn't want that to be all he was. For like Mario party where there is a lot of explaining they use Toad or Kamek and stuff. I think he would fit better while still be endearing.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I didn't mean it in a bad way... I wouldn't want that to be all he was. For like Mario party where there is a lot of explaining they use Toad or Kamek and stuff. I think he would fit better while still be endearing.
Oh I know you didn't, I was just memeing. Like Egoraptor (the guy in the video I linked), I do think tutorials are obnoxious and overused to the point of making them pointless, but yeah. Sorry, didn't mean for you to take my words like that.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Spoiler Alert: The direct won't be next week and was delayed until March but Sakurai will still talk about the fighter. To compensate, they will censor the fighters name so no one knows who he's talking about.
"Since Brawl, I've always wanted to include **** from Super Mario RPG in Smash. There were roadblocks with things like getting rights from Square Enix and time constraints but we've now managed to get **** in. As you may know, he was a Mii Costume in 3DS and Wii U and a spirit in Ultimate but we've made **** a full fighter now."
Or some shorter like "This character feels like a wish come true"

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo, just buy Geno since Square sure as **** isn't doing anything with him, ffs.
Unlikely. Ever work in retail? Specifically an area where you deal with a lot of things getting thrown out? The stuff is just trash to them. Pure garbage. Unless you want to take some of it for yourself that is. In that case, suddenly you'd be stealing.

My point is, most of the time, a company would rather let something go to waste rather than see anyone get it without said company making money on it.

In this instance, it's Square preferring Geno to stagnate rather than sell him for a one time profit then watch as someone else makes bank.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Unlikely. Ever work in retail? Specifically an area where you deal with a lot of things getting thrown out? The stuff is just trash to them. Pure garbage. Unless you want to take some of it for yourself that is. In that case, suddenly you'd be stealing.

My point is, most of the time, a company would rather let something go to waste rather than see anyone get it without said company making money on it.

In this instance, it's Square preferring Geno to stagnate rather than sell him for a one time profit then watch as someone else makes bank.
So basically they're hoarders

osby

Smash Obsessed

Do you have any proof that it's SE who withholds Geno or is it just another "Square stingy!" thing? For all we know it's Nintendo who doesn't care about getting his rights.

Also, to be honest, Geno isn't the gold mine some people make him up to be. Mario isn't exactly hurting for popular characters. And while Nintendo can make a good buck by making Geno a DLC fighter for Smash, paying royalties for him one time would be a lot easier than straight-up buying him.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Do you have any proof that it's SE who withholds Geno or is it just another "Square stingy!" thing? For all we know it's Nintendo who doesn't care about getting his rights.

Also, to be honest, Geno isn't the gold mine some people make him up to be. Mario isn't exactly hurting for popular characters. And while Nintendo can make a good buck by making Geno a DLC fighter for Smash, paying royalties for him one time would be a lot easier than straight-up buying him.
No, I have no proof. You're absolutely right in that it's just an assumption of mine. Nintendo very well could have zero interest in Geno. Nobody really knows. Sadly though, the world generally works exactly as my analogy.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
Everyone? But you forgot Bomberman, Midna, Doomguy, Geno, Dante, Pig Ganon, Ashley, Rayman, Lyn, Dr Eggman, Louie, Geno, Arle, Sephiroth, Marx, Gooigi, Cranky Kong, Travis Touchdown, Geno, Conker, Starfy, Captain Syrup, Krystal, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, the Grinch, Geno, Akuma, Heihachi, Lloyd, Tom Nook, Reimu Hakurei, Cacodemon, Mallow, Geno, Mimikyu, Quote, Ryu Hayabusa, Octoling, Shadow, Ghirahim, Geno, Goku, Goku (the monkey one)™ , Plok, Agumon, Poochy, Earthworm Jim, Scorpion, Sol Badguy, Heavy Weapons Guy, Toxtricity, Jimmy T., Shrek, Geno, Phoenix Wright, Gruntilda, Professor Layton, Pink Gold Peach, Dr. Baby Purple Quartz Waluigi, Baby Geno, Geno, Sakurai, Garfield, Movie Sonic, Movie Mario, Bubsy, Gex, Master Chief, 2B, Mickey Mouse, Weird Al, Altair, Godzilla, Geno, Boogerman, Spongebob, Malo, Goomba, Hat Goomba, Spiderman, Error from Zelda 2, PapaGenos, Geno, Fatmanonice, Leanbabyunderlava, Laxchris, Steve, Steve Harvey, Glass Joe, Tingle, Jinjo, Klaptrap, nintendog, Geno, Wii Safety Strap Guy, Monika, Freddy Fazbear, Rick Astley, Fat Albert, Mr. Incredible, Joe, Geno, Ed, Edd, Eddy, Stunfisk, Michael Jackson, Shaggy, Dan Hibiki, Geno, Geno, Gandalf the grey, Gandalf the white, Monty Python and Holy Grail's Black Knight, Benito Mussolini, the Blue Meanie, Cowboy Curtis, Jambie the Genie, Robocop, The Terminator, Captain Kirk, Darth Vader, Lo-pan, Superman, every single Power Ranger, Bill S. Preston, Theodore Logan, Spock, the Rock, Dock Ock, Hulk Hogan, Geno, Geno and Geno.

Clearly, the roster won't be complete until each and every single one of those characters listed are in. :ultpacman:
ngl I would love if Sega Genesis MJ was added and you would fight using iconic dance moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom