• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I wonder why people want to leak. Seeing all the headaches it brings, I can't see how the positives outweigh it. You'll get hate no matter you do: either because you get stuff wrong (especially now with Nintendo's lackluster updates), or because you get stuff right but eventually people get sick of seeing your name come up so often.

But if Geno gets in as full playable, I bet all insider dealings/talk will be done in this thread.
I'm going to stick around until the end of Season 2 just to see things play out but I kind of give **** all about anything 2021 and beyond outside of Smash. This is too much of a pain in the ass and I can't imagine doing this for years on end. It's no wonder most insiders last maybe a year tops before they get fed up with the bull**** and bow out.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm going to stick around until the end of Season 2 just to see things play out but I kind of give **** all about anything 2021 and beyond outside of Smash. This is too much of a pain in the ass and I can't imagine doing this for years on end. It's no wonder most insiders last maybe a year tops before they get fed up with the bull**** and bow out.
Okay but what if word of Popeye getting in for season 3 comes up?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Yea. My issue with Gematsu for Smash 4 wasn't that he was leaking per se, but rather how he KEPT leaking. Revealing the first E3 stuff isn't a surprise as it's a major event. But then he chimed in for the April Direct, then E3 again and even had to tweet his info with the July Dojo character announcement. At that point, I was thinking 'Dude, chill. We don't need you to say something before EVERY reveal.' Coupled with that fact that character speculation was pretty much dying everywhere at the time as any character hopefuls got knocked down because they weren't on 'The Gematsu List,' and I got sick of seeing his name. And that's why Robin's trailer was so lauded because it showed him to be wrong with something, which meant other characters could happen.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
That video lost me when it said Birdo.
The video lost me when they said one of the characters in Volume 2 will be an Echo Fighter.

I still watched it for entertainment value (and was pretty sure I'd see Geno in it of all things), but dang watching it hurt a little bit. Echo Fighters, and by extension clones, have always been development freebies. Sakurai and his team would never charge extra for Echo Fighters. And beyond that, almost none of those choices actually make sense to pick.

I understand the disappointment people felt for Byleth, so with that in mind I swear those Pass 2 choices would be as if Pass 1 had four Byleth's and one Banjo (that Banjo being Geno). Fun to watch and see how they came to the conclusion, but daggum those choices were pretty awful.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
I don’t feel bad for any of these “insiders”

If people are being “mean” on twitter and “calling them out” just DONT RESPOND. DONT ENGAGE TROLLS

Can we just put all insiders in the trash already, we had better discourse during Japan time without these wannabe journos

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
The video lost me when they said one of the characters in Volume 2 will be an Echo Fighter.

I still watched it for entertainment value (and was pretty sure I'd see Geno in it of all things), but dang watching it hurt a little bit. Echo Fighters, and by extension clones, have always been development freebies. Sakurai and his team would never charge extra for Echo Fighters. And beyond that, almost none of those choices actually make sense to pick.

I understand the disappointment people felt for Byleth, so with that in mind I swear those Pass 2 choices would be as if Pass 1 had four Byleth's and one Banjo (that Banjo being Geno). Fun to watch and see how they came to the conclusion, but daggum those choices were pretty awful.
Some people really don't understand humor unless it is delivered in a way that says 'See, this is OBVIOUSLY a joke, now laugh please! I need you to laugh and like for the algorithm!'

I watched the whole video and it was clear that, multiple times when he said 'This is for sure the only right choices for Vol 2.' that is was a joke because he was doing 'math' and you 'can't argue with the math' or 'the math doesn't lie' so it 'must be correct.' I think this falls under satire in terms of humor, as he is poking fun at the idea that, since it's all based on math, it can't be wrong when obviously math cannot be used to approach a situation like this in such a way.

Sakurai himself said the DLC would not have Echoes, and thus right there it's already clear that since he used that math to say there will be one and his tone and dialogue matches up with him being sarcastic. Honestly, none of that could possibly come close to predicting the characters because Sakurai isn't that predictable in the slightest. Finding the average of all these different statistics is fine, but apply them to determine the next characters really does not work.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Wait what happened yesterday, Fatman? I was around all day and apparently I'm missing something.
My guess is that Fatman talks about the tweet "Are you a fan of Animal Crossing" which she tweeted as an answer to a friend of hers that said "I want another direct" and people (he who shall not be named being among them) went "EMILY ROGERS IS HINTING TOWARDS A ANIMAL CROSSING DIRECT... HYPE" type of behaviour

Polarthief

Smash Lord
My guess is that Fatman talks about the tweet "Are you a fan of Animal Crossing" which she tweeted as an answer to a friend of hers that said "I want another direct" and people (he who shall not be named being among them) went "EMILY ROGERS IS HINTING TOWARDS A ANIMAL CROSSING DIRECT... HYPE" type of behaviour
Wait that tweet was yesterday? It feels like that was days ago at this point. Am I losing track of time now too? This lack of a direct is making me crazy...

MattX20

Smash Hero
Any kind souls willing to summarize the Source Gaming video? Work sucked today and I don't think I could stay awake through one of their analysis videos because they're usually super dry.

Add in: Yet another leak courtesy of GameXplain:

God, where is this Direct?!?
If you meant the video PushDustin tweeted about, it's basically mathematics used to make guesses about the Fighter Pass, which Geno happened to be based on his calculations.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Any kind souls willing to summarize the Source Gaming video? Work sucked today and I don't think I could stay awake through one of their analysis videos because they're usually super dry.

Add in: Yet another leak courtesy of GameXplain:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H4COA0RDGZE

God, where is this Direct?!?
Man, I sure hope the Direct is coming soon, even if it actually comes later. We could all use it by now.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
You could literally say "I like water" and people would think there's a Hoenn rep coming.
God damn.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I wonder why people want to leak. Seeing all the headaches it brings, I can't see how the positives outweigh it. You'll get hate no matter you do: either because you get stuff wrong (especially now with Nintendo's lackluster updates), or because you get stuff right but eventually people get sick of seeing your name come up so often.

But if Geno gets in as full playable, I bet all insider dealings/talk will be done in this thread.
When Geno gets in, this thread is gonna be moved to the Geno section as the Geno social, I'm pretty sure. That's what happened for several other characters.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Considering how long we have waited for the next Direct, I made some lyrics for the occasion based on a favorite song of mine from a movie from my childhood. Here they are.

[ Polarthief Polarthief ]
I got Direct fever. It's boiling my brain

[ DaxMasterix DaxMasterix ]
I got Direct fever. It's all making me insane!

[ YsDisciple YsDisciple , Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester and AdamBel731 AdamBel731 ]
We've got Direct fever like we're lost in Canada
We've let them be so long that we
Have simply gone bananas!

Chicka-chicka-boom-boom-chic-
Boom-boom-boom-chic
Chic-boom-boom-boom-chic

[ MattX20 MattX20 , ForsakenM ForsakenM and OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer ]
We, we
We got Direct fever. We lost the sense we had
We got Direct fever. Now we're all going mad!

[COMPANY]
Our once great minds are hanging by a thread
Since we're going nowhere
We've gone out of my head
We were waiting, waiting for the Direct to come

[MattX20 ]
(spoken)
And now we're not! Hehehe!

[ R RetrogamerMax ]
Grab your partner by the neck
Punch him in the face
Do-si-do, bite their ear so
Now pick up the pace!
Allemande left, allemande right
It's time to have some fun
Then make sure to run. Hehe!

[ T TriggerX ]
We've got Direct fever-

[ @Kremling Man ]
LIke bad runts

[TriggerX]
We're going so crazy-

[Kremling Man]
Not so lazy-

[Both]
-and a little nuts

[Company]
Ach du lieber, volkswagen car (Yo-del-ay-dee-hee)
Sauerbraten, wienerschnitzel
Und a wunderbar- (Yo-del-ay-dee-hoo)

[Company]
We were waiting, waiting, the leaks were on our side

[ TheCJBrine TheCJBrine ]
But then it died

[SonicSmasher1]
I got Direct fever. I think I'm gonna slip

[ Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ]
I'd like to get my hands on whoever makes this script

[ HudU HudU ]
(spoken)
Si

[ SpiritOfRuin SpiritOfRuin ]
I was playing Smash Bros. on the moon
And watched a old, funny cartoon
Now I'm as crazy as a loon! HAHA!

[COMPANY]
Direct fever has hit us in our minds
This forum is now a psycho ward
Nintendo give a sign
We were waiting, waiting, heading who knows where
And now though we're all here
We're not all there!

What do you all think?

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
Considering how long we have waited for the next Direct, I made some lyrics for the occasion based on a favorite song of mine from a movie from my childhood. Here they are.

[ YsDisciple YsDisciple , Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester and AdamBel731 AdamBel731 ]

Boom-boom-boom-chic
Chic-boom-boom-boom-chic

[ MattX20 MattX20 , ForsakenM ForsakenM and OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer ]
We, we

[COMPANY]

[MattX20 ]
(spoken)

[ R RetrogamerMax ]
Punch him in the face
Now pick up the pace!

[ T TriggerX ]
We've got Direct fever-

[ @Kremling Man ]
LIke bad runts

[TriggerX]
We're going so crazy-

[Kremling Man]
Not so lazy-

[Both]
-and a little nuts

[Company]

[Company]

But then it died

[SonicSmasher1]

[ HudU HudU ]
(spoken)
Si

[COMPANY]
Direct fever has hit us our minds
Nintendo give a sign
We're not all there!

What do you all think?
What was the movie?
and it's a'ight

MattX20

Smash Hero

Boom-boom-boom-chic
Chic-boom-boom-boom-chic

We, we

[COMPANY]

[MattX20 ]
(spoken)

[ R RetrogamerMax ]
Punch him in the face
Now pick up the pace!

[ T TriggerX ]
We've got Direct fever-

[ @Kremling Man ]
LIke bad runts

[TriggerX]
We're going so crazy-

[Kremling Man]
Not so lazy-

[Both]
-and a little nuts

[Company]

[Company]

But then it died

[SonicSmasher1]

[ HudU HudU ]
(spoken)
Si

[COMPANY]
Direct fever has hit us our minds
Nintendo give a sign
We're not all there!

What do you all think?
Hahaha, nice! Muppet Treasure Island was the first Muppet movie I saw in theaters, and it's one of my favorites.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yea. My issue with Gematsu for Smash 4 wasn't that he was leaking per se, but rather how he KEPT leaking. Revealing the first E3 stuff isn't a surprise as it's a major event. But then he chimed in for the April Direct, then E3 again and even had to tweet his info with the July Dojo character announcement. At that point, I was thinking 'Dude, chill. We don't need you to say something before EVERY reveal.' Coupled with that fact that character speculation was pretty much dying everywhere at the time as any character hopefuls got knocked down because they weren't on 'The Gematsu List,' and I got sick of seeing his name. And that's why Robin's trailer was so lauded because it showed him to be wrong with something, which meant other characters could happen.
I mean, the Gematsu leaker wasn't really wrong he just had outdated information. He said: :4wiifit:, :4littlemac:, Gen 6 Pokemon/:4greninja:, Miis, :4palutena:, :4pacman:, :4shulk:, Chrom, and the Chorus Kids were all in the game. Sakurai confirmed I believe in a Famitsu interview that Chrom was intended to be in Smash 4 but got cut for some reason. Rhythm Heaven data was found in the game's code and it appears there was going to be a stock icon for the franchise which means Rhythm Heaven was suppose to have a rep in Smash 4.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
So I was looking through the Brawl achieves on this site since nothing much has been going on around here lately, and I looked through the Melee poll again and I realize Chocobo was the most wanted 3rd party character in the poll: https://smashboards.com/threads/i-think-this-might-be-interesting-to-look-at-melee-1999-poll.81891/

Imagine if we get Chocobo as the playable Square rep in Pass 2 instead of Geno lol!
Don’t give Square any funny ideas now Mr. RetrogamerMax, that sounds just like something they’d do.

D

Deleted member

Boom-boom-boom-chic
Chic-boom-boom-boom-chic

We, we

[COMPANY]

[MattX20 ]
(spoken)

[ R RetrogamerMax ]
Punch him in the face
Now pick up the pace!

[ T TriggerX ]
We've got Direct fever-

[ @Kremling Man ]
LIke bad runts

[TriggerX]
We're going so crazy-

[Kremling Man]
Not so lazy-

[Both]
-and a little nuts

[Company]

[Company]

But then it died

[SonicSmasher1]

[ HudU HudU ]
(spoken)
Si

[COMPANY]
Direct fever has hit us in our minds
Nintendo give a sign
We're not all there!

What do you all think?
Awesome and accurate. Nintendo is letting us endure this long drought Then when we least expect it Nintendo Direct weather that's an AC or general one at this point who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Anytime someone says Geno can't get into Smash.
View attachment 262667
Man I will never forget that part. Not only because as a kid, it made me ask my parents who the heck Bruce Lee was, but also because I was stuck in that damn forest for who knows how long. So to finally leave it was amazing.*

... I was a dumb kid, alright? I went HP for every level up bonus and wondered why the game was so hard and took me forever to beat.

* Legit though, nowhere in the game does anyone tell you which way to go when Geno isn't on-screen, which royally confused me as a kid to the point where I just tried everything. Even as an adult, I think the maze itself (just the section of following Geno, not the entire level) is one of the worst parts of the game simply because nothing outright tells you which path to take on the part when Geno just isn't there.

Mallow is such a Pal, I still remember him placing a hand on Bowser's back to consolate the buddy,
what a great friend
Oh yeah when they return to Mushroom Kingdom after Marrymore. I remembered that too. This was the first time Bowser's ever shown real personality IIRC so as a kid, I realized that while he's obviously one of those tough guys always trying to show how big and stronk he is, he clearly does have feelings and emotions like the rest of us. I'm really glad they did stuff like that in SMRPG.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
1580383785224.jpg

Can you imagine if Mandy is right and we get both Geno and Crash. Like only one of those is worth the cost of the pass alone but getting both would be absolutely nuts. Please Mandy, please don't be lieing. Every leaker fell for it being this week, Mandy could still be right. If he is and Crash is in, then I think Geno's a done deal. I just want off this ride so I can fulfill my dream of playing pro and being the best Geno main on the planet. Idgaf about Wish7s Wish7s Imma still be the best Geno main, count on it.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Can you imagine if Mandy is right and we get both Geno and Crash.
Both are as close to as lock as possible, Geno being even higher up IMO simply because he's got evidence. Crash just has a handful of insiders backing him, but with no hard evidence.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Both are as close to as lock as possible, Geno being even higher up IMO simply because he's got evidence. Crash just has a handful of insiders backing him, but with no hard evidence.
What evidence? Was there anything aside from the mii costume mallow clip?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
What evidence? Was there anything aside from the mii costume mallow clip?
The copyright takedown songs (Beware the Forest Mushrooms and Battle Against an Armed Boss) being the big kicker. 2 songs is consistent with other SE characters; this also happened around E3 last year, likely when negotiations for FP2 would be happening. Nothing is ever 100% until we see the splash screen, but it's a huge boon to Geno. We've also gotten additional bits like how Spirits can be modified, both their names and battles, also based on if you have DLC or not, Geno's costume is still AWOL, and of course, Sakurai himself has personally backed Geno. While yes, Nintendo is picking the DLC, you know damn well Sakurai is likely influencing picks or giving his two cents, with Nintendo having authority on the final say (which is what happened with DLC 5 being Byleth while Sakurai wanted someone else instead; we don't know who).

T2by4

Smash Lord
The copyright takedown songs (Beware the Forest Mushrooms and Battle Against an Armed Boss) being the big kicker. 2 songs is consistent with other SE characters; this also happened around E3 last year, likely when negotiations for FP2 would be happening. Nothing is ever 100% until we see the splash screen, but it's a huge boon to Geno. We've also gotten additional bits like how Spirits can be modified, both their names and battles, also based on if you have DLC or not, Geno's costume is still AWOL, and of course, Sakurai himself has personally backed Geno. While yes, Nintendo is picking the DLC, you know damn well Sakurai is likely influencing picks or giving his two cents, with Nintendo having authority on the final say (which is what happened with DLC 5 being Byleth while Sakurai wanted someone else instead; we don't know who).
Didnt fortnite music also get taken down by nintendo? I dont think we can rely on that as evidence.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Hello again. I know I haven't been posting a lot. Just got kinda tired of speculation.

And this is what gives Nintendo fans a bad rep of being impatient and looking into everything under a microscope. But to be fair, it is getting a bit ridiculous on how long Nintendo has been holding out on a general direct. I'm calling it now: Animal Crossing direct is next. They are just going to keep us waiting.

So has anything major happened over the past couple days? And I'm seeing people say that Mandy said Geno. This is the first time I've heard about it. Did Mandy just recently say Geno?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Didnt fortnite music also get taken down by nintendo? I dont think we can rely on that as evidence.
TBH I didn't hear about that. All I know is 2 songs, 2 very, very specific songs that are tied to Geno, were taken down. Something SMRPG-related is happening, and the only thing I can think of is Geno in Smash. Like I said, nothing is 100%, but it's looking pretty dang good.

Also I said this about a page or two ago, but yeah, it's one small piece of the puzzle, but when you combine a lot of small pieces, it starts to make a picture. Taking *everything* into account: The songs, the missing costume, Sakurai saying Nintendo superseded his pick for DLC 5 (because they wanted to push Byleth) and even backing Geno himself, the legacy and history Geno has had with Smash and even SMRPG's history in gaming (correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it what brought RPGs to Western mainstream?). Nothing is ever 100%, but Geno's chances are very high and have more going for him than pretty much every other front-runner character.

So has anything major happened over the past couple days?
Nope, just circlejerking over past stuff. A small convo did happen between Fatman and Mandy though...

And I'm seeing people say that Mandy said Geno. This is the first time I've heard about it. Did Mandy just recently say Geno?
TL;DR: Mandy and Fatman chatted. Mandy revealed that their source said Geno is 5th before backpedaling and saying "Now Byleth is 5th, dunno where Geno is, don't expect him anytime soon" (I'm paraphrasing btw). Mandy also revealed that his source said Crash is 6th; that's not his own speculation.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Screenshot_20200216-200420_YouTube.jpg

Geno finally gets in Smash and gets 10 songs, but every one of them is an acapella by the Four Peters. Would you accept his inclusion?

Don't even think about it, Siivagunner.

Edit: Bruh wtf it already exists lmfao https://youtu.be/4Lrx84DpkFk

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Geno finally gets in Smash and gets 10 songs, but every one of them is an acapella by the Four Peters. Would you accept his inclusion?
I already said I'd be fine even if he got 0 songs (even though that would be illegal on Nintendo's part since that would be false advertising of the challenger packs). The only thing I really care about is him getting in; the songs are nice bonuses.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
TL;DR: Mandy and Fatman chatted. Mandy revealed that their source said Geno is 5th before backpedaling and saying "Now Byleth is 5th, dunno where Geno is, don't expect him anytime soon" (I'm paraphrasing btw). Mandy also revealed that his source said Crash is 6th; that's not his own speculation.
That sounds suspicious to me with his source backpedaling like that. I'm split on Mandy. I want Geno and especially Crash so badly, but there is always the Twitter edit technique and the possibility of his source being wrong. The curse of smash speculation I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom