• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Honestly, I have been getting a hunch Geno is gonna kick off Season 2. Or we get a weird double reveal before E3 and its Geno and Crash.

Humor me. Lets say we do not get a General Direct this month (Which seems likely now) and instead we have to wait til March. What happened to release on March 9th of oh say...1996?

Slowly but surely...Its all coming together! (Can't upload the gif!!)

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Honestly, I have been getting a hunch Geno is gonna kick off Season 2. Or we get a weird double reveal before E3 and its Geno and Crash.

Humor me. Lets say we do not get a General Direct this month (Which seems likely now) and instead we have to wait til March. What happened to release on March 9th of oh say...1996?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD NO WAY IF THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS.

I think it'd be cool if they post the direct now, get it out of the way finally, and if they did want to show off 2 characters, show off Crash instead, and show that he's DLC 7. "Oh, but who is #6 you ask? Well, we can't reveal them at this time but we will Soon™".

That said, March 9th is Monday and it's also the 24th anniversary, which is a bit awkward, but that would make for an amazing 24th anniversary.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It just seems like I'd he was meant

It just seems like if he was supposed to FP5 he e would be super done and they would be sitting on a completed character for not one but 2 character reveals? Seems like it would make more sense to have him be FP6.
Let's look at this way: the source said Byleth was 5 and Crash was 6 in a short timespan. If Geno's not 5 or 6, the earliest he could be is 7 according to this source unless Geno was just outright false information. We've seen a similar situation to this with Ryu. Shifty swore Ryu was 4 and then 5. Byleth is technically part Tecmo so if Ryu was leakbait for Byleth, they're interchangeable. Shifty technically heard Byleth for 4 but simply pushed it back when it didn't pan out. Geno could easily be a similar case of originally being heard as 5 but pushed back as new information came up.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Well, I dun goofed. Probably should have just posted the actual conversation to begin with:

View attachment 262187
Okay so byleth was planned to be five and crash is six. Got it. Geno WAS going to be five? So according to him Geno was originally going to be Fighter five? Thay's pretty wild. Damn man, are you telling me we could've been playing Geno RIGHT NOW? So he's definitely E3 then. Nintendo probably demanded another FE rep to capitalize on three houses and pushed him back. He's abso-effing-lutely the E3 reveal, they know his popularity and know he'd be the big talking point of E3.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD NO WAY IF THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS.

I think it'd be cool if they post the direct now, get it out of the way finally, and if they did want to show off 2 characters, show off Crash instead, and show that he's DLC 7. "Oh, but who is #6 you ask? Well, we can't reveal them at this time but we will Soon™".

That said, March 9th is Monday and it's also the 24th anniversary, which is a bit awkward, but that would make for an amazing 24th anniversary.
I'll just put this here for the fun of it. 25th Anniversary would make more sense to me. Geno 2021 confirmed!

sponge.jpg

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Okay so byleth was planned to be five and crash is six. Got it. Geno WAS going to be five? So according to him Geno was originally going to be Fighter five? Thay's pretty wild. Damn man, are you telling me we could've been playing Geno RIGHT NOW? So he's definitely E3 then. Nintendo probably demanded another FE rep to capitalize on three houses and pushed him back. He's abso-effing-lutely the E3 reveal, they know his popularity and know he'd be the big talking point of E3.
I don't think Crash is 6. Waaaaaaaaaaay too many people have heard Crash at this point and it's turning into another Dante for 5 situation. I think Crash is coming but, with how Nintendo treated Joker, 6 is probably under hard lock and key too. Crash has reached a saturation point where visibility is too strong and Nintendo would be proactively cracking skulls if it were true. Mandycan's Crash statement went viral almost a month ago if you can believe that.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I don't think Crash is 6. Waaaaaaaaaaay too many people have heard Crash at this point and it's turning into another Dante for 5 situation. I think Crash is coming but, with how Nintendo treated Joker, 6 is probably under hard lock and key too. Crash has reached a saturation point where visibility is too strong and Nintendo would be proactively cracking skulls if it were true. Mandycan's Crash statement went viral almost a month ago if you can believe that.
So, do you think the theory that Joker was initially supposed to be 2 and Hero 1 but were swapped holds any water?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
So, do you think the theory that Joker was initially supposed to be 2 and Hero 1 but were swapped holds any water?
I'm not Fatman, but I absolutely think no. The Game Awards was the perfect place to "steal the show" and it fit very thematically. Unless we were supposed to not have a Game Awards reveal and instead have Hero in the Q1 direct, that's the only way it would make sense (since "stealing the E3 show" would also make some lick of sense to me, though less than VGA 2018).

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Unless we were supposed to not have a Game Awards reveal and instead have Hero in the Q1 direct, that's the only way it would make sense.
That's my idea, Hero was gonna be revealed in that 2/13 Direct with a buncha DQ 11 info but was delayed until E3. Apparently, Nintendo even asked the VGAs to add a Joker reveal suuuuper late. I think what might have happened is both Square and Nintendo began to sweat nervously at seeing the prospect of a DQ character in Smash not being treated as enthusiastically by westerners as they hoped. Square didn't want DQ 11 to be screwed by association and Nintendo wanted to cool people off after the lackluster November Direct so they decided to change Hero to Fighter 2 revealed at E3 (and be shown along with Banjo, a character much more well known in the west) and instead have Joker be a last minute VGAs reveal so that people would gain some faith back in the Fighter Pass and wouldn't be as sour about DQ in general. This is why Verge and many other insiders said Hero would be first as he was genuinely going to be but changes had to be made. It's the same scenario Geno, he was going to be 5 and that's what Mandy's source heard but Nintendo (most likely wanting to start things off with a bang for FP2) decided to tack Geno to the beginning of FP2 and replace him with Byleth (who was initially never planned for anything) because he's a cheap and simple first party advertising pick. This also explains why Geno was heard so much since 2018, he's been essentially planned since then but has been held back for reasons.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ77q8K2RFc
Full credit to Around The Clock
Could mean something might not be anything. I do expect we're getting something soon.

I don't know when soon is but hopefully it's a good sign.

Interesting info with The Mandycan stuff cool guy that probably just got some wrong info. All the best go him and we'll see what happens.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ77q8K2RFc
Full credit to Around The Clock
Could mean something might not be anything. I do expect we're getting something soon.

I don't know when soon is but hopefully it's a good sign.

Interesting info with The Mandycan stuff cool guy that probably just got some wrong info. All the best go him and we'll see what happens.
Didn’t they just add the Pokémon Direct on the playlist?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Lord Woomy is right from what I've heard. The decision to have Joker at the VGAs was supposedly decided during the second half of October 2018.

As for Geno, we're getting more and more of a story that Geno's been relevant the entire time but has been repeatedly pushed back for one reason or another.

Sakurai: "Can Geno be base?"

Square: "No, **** you. DLC only"

Sakurai: "Fine... Can Geno be in the Fighter's Pass?"

Square: "No, **** you; we want Dragon Quest first."

Sakurai: "That's fair. Can Geno be in Season 2?"

Square: "Sure, why not?"

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Lord Woomy is right from what I've heard. The decision to have Joker at the VGAs was supposedly decided during the second half of October 2018.

As for Geno, we're getting more and more of a story that Geno's been relevant the entire time but has been repeatedly pushed back for one reason or another.

You joke but that's actually how the conversation went down

MattX20

Smash Hero
You know, given that all the prominent leakers were apparently given outdated information, it's looking more likely to me at least that at the very latest we'll get the first general direct on the first week of March.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah that's probably what it is. Disregard this then. Oh well hopefully we see something soon.
Well, in the latest Famitsu column, made before publishing on February 9, Sakurai said this after commenting on FP2 DLC: “See you the week after next!”. That is next week, so we could get something by then.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace

I'm beginning to wonder a little if the leaked memo that got out that made so many people think DQ was in Smash was actually unintentionally leaked or not. Square wanted to familiarize western audiences with DQ to ease them into Hero's Smash reveal and wanted to plug the leakers that would come from it. They killed 2 birds with one stone.
I also feel that interaction may have happened and it may lead to a different reason Geno possibly was moved from 5 to 6, after Hero got moved to 2, Square got all ornery as they do and said "Well, Hero and Geno still have to have the same amount of fighters between them" So Nintendo groans and accommodates.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
So we potentially have more evidence for revised order of characters in DLC huh? This could bode well for us but again I'm not really buying into this fully and we will just have to wait and see. If Geno was initially 5 and was pushed back (especially if pushed back to 7) then at least he should be incredibly polished when he comes out.

D

Deleted member

Too bad March 9 is a Monday.

May 13 however... is a Wednesday

MattX20

Smash Hero
If it goes past the first week of March, it's almost like something the Geneva Convention was against.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
What happened next was even more fascinating and why I'm making this post. He then shared with me that his contact told him three characters in October. You all know the first two: Byleth and Crash but he was actually told a third character before Crash but didn't make this public. This character was Geno.

Obviously, this peaked my interest and I asked the circumstances surrounding this. He said he was told Geno after Byleth but his contact came back to him a couple of days later, gave him Crash, and then told him "don't expect Geno anytime soon." This is why Mandycan is predicting Crash for 6, because his contact said Geno was happening but much later. Again, this makes sense because this all went down in October which, painfully enough, was already four months ago. So, once again, we have yet another insider who I didn't have a connection to until yesterday who has a contact that has also heard Geno. Groovy.
"Groovy"? I'm sorry, but I think you mean
Geno-VERY-COOL.png

But seriously, it's great to hear that yet another person with inside sources has heard Geno. Don't know why he'd be so late, anyhow.

So after reading the 3 latest pages on here and... damn. Like... i don't know how to put this into words but like, this is all sounding really good for Geno.
Whether hes 7, 8 or even 11 or 12, hes looking like the most likely out of anybody right now, and crash also seems pretty good.

Also, this spirit event doom spirit conspiracy saddens me because it lowers doomguys chances even more, but it also adds even more credibility to cacomallow.
I wonder how people are still going to think its completely fake at this point.

Cacomallow real.
With arguments like these, of course!
Not yet, but there have been plenty of arguments made to try and debunk it. Classic arguments such as...
  1. Well, it could be faked, though. (Always a possibility, but can't currently be proven, so it's just begging the question.)
  2. People have been able to make Mii Costume Mods, so it's highly possible it was faked. (Same as above. Also, we've yet to see an accurate replication of what we see in the videos and image.)
  3. If the guy who "leaked" this was able to get these hats, why didn't he leak anything more than that? Why not leak a new character, or a new stage, or any other Mii Costumes? (Assuming this is a leak, we have no idea how they even managed to get these videos and images or what situation they were in. Perhaps this was all they were able to get, or perhaps this was all they knew was coming. After all, you can't leaks things you don't have or don't know are coming. Also, that could be said for any potential leak, so it's just begging the question.)
  4. The image has Ken in it doing a thumbs-up, just like in the Ken Leak. The person behind is trying to make it look more legit by referencing an actual leak, which means that it's fake. (Perhaps, but it's far from the only explaination. It could also just be a coincidence, or maybe it's the same guy using that as his calling card, or maybe it's a completely different person adopting that gesture as a way to signal to people that it's legit. We have no way to prove anything one way or the other, so it's a moot point.)
  5. The unmoving timer is set to 2:30, just like the Ken Leak, which would make you think that it's a legit leak from a dev build, but it's displayed as 2:30 rather than 02:30 like in the Ken Leak. This discrepancy means that this is fake. (While it's true that there is an extra 0 that is missing compared to the Ken Leak, it's not a flub in the process of potentially faking this. Small details, such as there being an extra zero in front of times less than ten minutes, only existed in eariler builds of Ultimate and has since been removed. Proof of this can be seen during the Hero presentation, where Sakurai is using a development build of the game. The extra 0 seen in the Ken Leak is no longer there, meaning it was only there during production of the game, and was subsequently removed before it's retail release.)
  6. The hats weren't revealed with Byleth, so they're fake. (Leaks can still be true even if the timing was off. For example, Vergeben was right about there being a SquareEnix character "Erdrick", but he was wrong in saying that it'd be the first DLC character.)
  7. The hats were "leaked" back on November 3rd 2019, and it's now 3+ months since then and we haven't seen them yet. Hats are easy to make, so they must be made very shortly before a fighter's release, which means this is fake. (Unless outwardly stated, leaks don't have a "best by" date. Also, that's not how game development works. Content is made well in advance, as such it's more likely that all of the Mii Fighter costumes/hats were made in bulk, or whenever they could be made, which would logically be as soon as possible. As such, it's entirely possible that these hats were made many months ago in preparation for these upcoming DLC fighters.
  8. There was an interview with one of the head Bethesda guys that disconfirmed Doomguy, so this is fake. (First off, Doomguy wasn't completely disconfirmed, though I will admit this is a pretty substantial blow to his chances. Secondly, and more importantly, nowhere in this interview did they mention that Nintendo rejected/didn't follow up on anything other than Doomguy as a fighter. It's entirely possible that we could still get DOOM content (such as costumes or spirits) in the future without a fighter to come alongside them. I mean, it's happened with Ubisoft getting costumes alongside Byleth without them getting a fighter, and there was a Spirit Event for the Kunio/River City series without them getting a fighter.)
  9. If this were even a real leak, Nintendo would've gone and taken down anything about them. (Not necessarily. They didn't do that with videos talking about the Ken Leak, after all.)

View attachment 262150

So Geno truly is finally coming afterall? I really hope this Mandy fella is telling the truth and not messing with ya fatman. Because I already got money on Geno at E3, can't afford to lose this bet.
Yo, OffBi OffBi 's new avatar is lookin' fine!
OffBiNewAvatar.png

Pretty good! I actually forgot about that Mallow easter egg, so there is still 1 other one ;) Might be the hardest of them all.
Was it the sound effect that plays when Mario grabs the key from Bowser in the Fire Sea? Because I had already noticed that. It sounded like it was from SMRPG but I'm not entirely sure.

Not that I've heard. I think this is deliberate and I talk about it in the Waluigi thread. Female characters are pretty much hard skipped for Mii costumes unless they're, uh, flat chested. They probably do this so that there aren't a bunch of Miis online that are basically Sans and Hitler with gahoobanoids.
So what you're saying is Madeline still has a shot at being a DMC?

This video makes me laugh every time I see it. Now that I'm an adult, I kind of resent the fact that most male cartoonists not so subtly tend to incorporate their fetishes into their work and holy hell is this super apparent with shonen anime/manga. Prefer not to think about this? Too bad. This is the Geno thread. Innocence dies here®.
It's not just cartoonists, it's also the fine folks behind live action kids shows. Ever wonder why there's so much feet-related stuff in iCarly? You can thank Dan "Hold her tighter, she's a fighter" Schneider for that.

Gotchu covered, man.
OhYeahItsAllComingTogether.gif

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So if a Direct still happens this month, what are the chances it would happen in the next two weeks?

OffBi

Smash Ace
"Groovy"? I'm sorry, but I think you mean
View attachment 262191
But seriously, it's great to hear that yet another person with inside sources has heard Geno. Don't know why he'd be so late, anyhow.

With arguments like these, of course!

Yo, OffBi OffBi 's new avatar is lookin' fine!
View attachment 262192

Was it the sound effect that plays when Mario grabs the key from Bowser in the Fire Sea? Because I had already noticed that. It sounded like it was from SMRPG but I'm not entirely sure.

So what you're saying is Madeline still has a shot at being a DMC?

It's not just cartoonists, it's also the fine folks behind live action kids shows. Ever wonder why there's so much feet-related stuff in iCarly? You can thank Dan "Hold her tighter, she's a fighter" Schneider for that.

Gotchu covered, man.
View attachment 262195
Lmao thank you for the avatar, F in the chat for the old one tho.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Misred. Forget what I said. I was replying to Offbi back there.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To further clear Mandycan, I wanted to share this:

(Insert screenshot here. The person I talked to requested it be deleted.)

Literally Imran Khan thought a Direct was going to be this week so anyone still jeering at Mandy for being wrong can go amongst the grand sprawling tundras and enthusiastically dine upon a polar bear's ass.

Last edited:

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
As much as I think it'd be cool, I do wonder how it would work in a not-turn-based fighting game.
Probably only with a few moves. Like if Geno whirl was side b and you can't have more than one on the screen, hitting side b on contact adds dmg/knock back? Then for normal/melee attacks it would be close to a Link forward smash situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom