• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry to hear about people breaking your trust and going on their word Fatmanonice Fatmanonice .

...on the bright side, I found this. This guy has gotten stuff right (we've talked about him before) and he is seemingly backing up stuff you've been hinting at for a bit now (regarding what Nintendo has in store for 2020). "Niche and RPG's..."
(Also, he hinted at that "tires" game S*** recently hinted that months ago.) Definitely keeping an eye on this guy. Thoughts?
View attachment 260677
There is a sun emoji so that 100% means that Golden Sun is back, yep 100% no doubt whatsoever! Please I'm desperate Nintendo, give me my beloved series back!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The "Big One™" is not Mario RPG related. On the upside, I think SMRPG has a stupidly good chance of being in the SNES Online dump. Again, saying it since Christmas, supposedly at least 3 of the games will be tied to announcements either in the Direct or E3 so definitely keep your eyes open.

T2by4

Smash Lord
The "Big One™" is not Mario RPG related. On the upside, I think SMRPG has a stupidly good chance of being in the SNES Online dump. Again, saying it since Christmas, supposedly at least 3 of the games will be tied to announcements either in the Direct or E3 so definitely keep your eyes open.
Thanks for shooting that down at the very least. Was thinking it may be mario rpg related.

I wonder what it could be...

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, it's potentially one of two things and both would be massive announcements. It's one of those situations that I could outright say it (but forever be a terrible person in the process) and virtually no one would believe me (but what else is new? Amirite lads or amirite?).
All I ask is that you point it out after the fact so I can know if my guess (which I'm just keeping to myself unless asked) is in fact correct. That said, you do you.

Edit:
NINJA'D AND SHOT DOWN LIKE THAT

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
So a new Donkey Kong Country has been rumored by people (like as "DK insiders" and that guy I just quoted on Twitter), and it has been shot down that it probably isn't Retro Studios. ...so I have to wonder, if this is rumor is true, who are the developers then? DKC games have been made my western developers historically (first Rare in the UK, and then Retro in the U.S.), so I'm wondering who Nintendo would even go to. I mean, Next Level Games is a western developer in Canada, but they're working on the Luigi's Mansion 3 DLC still, so I have no clue who it'd be.

(I mean they don't HAVE to use a western developer, but I would just presume they would since DKC is more popular in the west and that's where the developers have been from.)

Imma assume Fatmanonice Fatmanonice can't talk about this, but I'd be so stoked if we got a new DKC.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
The "Big One™" is not Mario RPG related.
I figured, but dang.

On the upside, I think SMRPG has a stupidly good chance of being in the SNES Online dump
I pray it is. I've wanted SMRPG *officially* portable for as long as the VC was a thing, especially on the 3DS.

All I ask is that you point it out after the fact so I can know if my guess (which I'm just keeping to myself unless asked) is in fact correct. That said, you do you.
I'd want to know just so we're not going "IS IT THIS?! IS IT THIS?!" for the next year or so when they've already been revealed.

T2by4

Smash Lord
So a new Donkey Kong Country has been rumored by people (like as "DK insiders" and that guy I just quoted on Twitter), and it has been shot down that it probably isn't Retro Studios. ...so I have to wonder, if this is rumor is true, who are the developers then? DKC games have been made my western developers historically (first Rare in the UK, and then Retro in the U.S.), so I'm wondering who Nintendo would even go to. I mean, Next Level Games is a western developer in Canada, but they're working on the Luigi's Mansion 3 DLC still, so I have no clue who it'd be.

(I mean they don't HAVE to use a western developer, but I would just presume they would since DKC is more popular in the west and that's where the developers have been from.)

Imma assume Fatmanonice Fatmanonice can't talk about this, but I'd be so stoked if we got a new DKC.
Hopefully K rool returns. The fan outcry with his smash inclusion is an obvious indicator that people love him and see him as the bowser of the DK series.

Back to on topic with Geno though, it is very odd that we still dont have his mii costume AND the game he's from yet. If they announce more SNES games this direct and STILL dont announce SMRPG then we may be in business for E3 lads.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Maybe the guys who did the 3DS port of returns, the new levels in that were really good.

As for "the big one", still confused how people aern't catching on. I'm not going to point anything out but he's been laying it on pretty thick both in December and today.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Maybe the guys who did the 3DS port of returns, the new levels in that were really good.

As for "the big one", still confused how people aern't catching on. I'm not going to point anything out but he's been laying it on pretty thick both in December and today.
... Am I really that dense cause I don't see it. We talked paper mario, metroid, and zelda. What else could it be?

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
fatman will you circle back here and tell us which one is The Big One once it’s revealed?

Linkx20

Smash Rookie
- (Most Likely) Geno is playable. This is why the Sm4sh costume (and no new premium one) was AWOL from Hero's pack.
- (Possibly Likely) No new Geno content is coming. He will remain as a Spirit and nothing more.
- (Very Unlikely, But Still In The Realm Of Possible) Geno's getting a premium Mii costume like Sans and Cuphead, along with a music track or two, alongside a 2nd SE character. [Also, people saying "only Indies get premium Mii costumes", let's not make yet another new fan rule, okay? Anything can happen, even something sucky like this]
- (I Would Do Something Insane If This Happened Because Of How Impossibly Unlikely It Is) Geno's Sm4sh Mii costume is returning alongside a 2nd SE character.
While I think Geno's chances are at an all time high right now with 6 known newcomers left, I'm definitely still concerned about Mii costume + song for him. It's super popular characters who just don't make the cut, and have a good music track to go with them. Geno fits that very well with a costume as Mii gunner and Forest Maze as an iconic song. I still hold my breath every time they show new Mii costumes. Obviously that being said I still think he has a better chance as a full character and has endless potential for moveset, songs, stages, music, spirit board, etc. and I've waited too damn long for him just to be yet another costume, just don't discount how easy it would be to make him a gunner costume again. I still have hope, if anything optimism. I have to admit, these fighter pass 2 prediction videos are getting me super hyped and I genuinely think E3 is the time.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Hmm...apparently Fighter #6 is based on Bayonetta View attachment 260673
A gunner character like Geno could fit this description, or possibly KOS-MOS. https://twitter.com/CaptainZack_/status/1222607603458547715
For Christ's sake people this probably means nothing. Mii Sword Fighter and Duck Hunt's glitches were not even comparable to what happened to Simon and Bayonetta. Like, one was glitches involving save data and the other involving visual appearance, not even related at all. Not to mention, we have no proof Byleth used Simon as a base as far as I know. Wouldn't Shulk or any of the other FE characters work much better than Simon? Like, it seems awfully suspicious that the 2 glitches of the visual variety are also ones that are completely unproven to be linked any characters. Also, Ice Climbers had a glitch a few months back and it amounted to nothing. I read to deep into everything and even this is a bit much for me.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I may be reading the room wrong but I'm pretty sure this niche rpg is earthbound
I mean I just didn’t see any of the evidence for this in this thread since December (and maybe that’s a good thing since we have been asked to stick closer to Geno related topics??).

but if that’s true.... that would be an amazing comeback story for sure!

as would Geno! See? It comes full circle!

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I may be reading the room wrong but I'm pretty sure this niche rpg is earthbound
Hey I said it. That's a "Niche RPG" sounds like, which could lead into Mother 3 which could lead into Reggie coming on as a guest because no one else but him should be the one to announce it: Mother 3 port on Switch, uncensored, with tons of warnings.

While I think Geno's chances are at an all time high right now with 6 known newcomers left, I'm definitely still concerned about Mii costume + song for him. It's super popular characters who just don't make the cut, and have a good music track to go with them. Geno fits that very well with a costume as Mii gunner and Forest Maze as an iconic song. I still hold my breath every time they show new Mii costumes. Obviously that being said I still think he has a better chance as a full character and has endless potential for moveset, songs, stages, music, spirit board, etc. and I've waited too damn long for him just to be yet another costume, just don't discount how easy it would be to make him a gunner costume again. I still have hope, if anything optimism. I have to admit, these fighter pass 2 prediction videos are getting me super hyped and I genuinely think E3 is the time.
I'm not saying it's impossible that it'll happen, I just think him dodging the ENTIRE first FP means it's pretty unlikely to happen. If the Sm4sh costume made a return, I would fly to Japan just to curse Sakurai out in a language he doesn't know. If he gets an updated Mii costume, I'll be thoroughly disappointed (moreso than if he got nothing, TBH). I do agree that every time the Mii costumes come up w/o a Geno reveal, I do hold my breath for a bit because if we see him, it's game over.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
fatman will you circle back here and tell us which one is The Big One once it’s revealed?
Oh, you'll know. You'll definitely know.

On this topic, note how Markomaro said "niche and RPGs." Plural. Everyone and their grandma has been open about Paper Mario rumors. Markomaro and I have been open about Fire Emblem rumors. I've been open about SMRPG likely coming to the SNES Online. Namco itself announced their Tales 25th anniversary plans. Markomaro is likely talking about games from none of these or he would outright say it. Food for thought.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Oh, you'll know. You'll definitely know.
*shakes hands furiously in the air* At least we won't be left in suspense if it's The Thing™ or not.

On this topic, note how Markomaro said "niche and RPGs." Plural. Everyone and their grandma has been open about Paper Mario rumors. Markomaro and I have been open about Fire Emblem rumors. I've been open about SMRPG likely coming to the SNES Online. Namco itself announced their Tales 25th anniversary plans. Markomaro is likely talking about games from none of these or he would outright say it. Food for thought.
Wait, could Lloyd be back on the table? TOO MANY SWORDSMEN, ARE THERE?!
(I'd be down, Lloyd was my #6, now #5 after Banjo, my old #2 got put in, sorry guys)

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
*shakes hands furiously in the air* At least we won't be left in suspense if it's The Thing™ or not.

Wait, could Lloyd be back on the table? TOO MANY SWORDSMEN, ARE THERE?!
(I'd be down, Lloyd was my #6, now #5 after Banjo, my old #2 got put in, sorry guys)
Idk if Lloyd would be considered "the big one" and I don't recall there being discussion in this thread about him since last december.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
There's been recent articles and Gameexplain videos about Smash concerning Sakurai and Iwata. I wonder if there's a connection anywhere with these other rumors.

And if Iwata was a fan of Geno.....

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Idk if Lloyd would be considered "the big one" and I don't recall there being discussion in this thread about him since last december.
Nonono, I wasn't saying for The Thing (what I'm calling "The Big One"), just relating to the RPGs thing that tweet mentioned.

There's been recent articles and Gameexplain videos about Smash concerning Sakurai and Iwata. I wonder if there's a connection anywhere with these other rumors.

And if Iwata was a fan of Geno.....
THERE'S ALSO THAT BOOK THAT SAKURAI DID(?)/MENTIONED IN A TWEET!

What's a shame is they could have made Geno DLC 5 and revealed it just before the game awards. December 6th last year would have been Iwata's 60th birthday. Alternatively, July 11th will be his 5th deathday... E3 reveal for DLC 7?
PS: Why is "birthday", one word, a thing, but "deathday" isn't?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Niche and RPG? Nintendo? "The Big One?"

Seems like the sort of thing that would come out just in time for Mother's Day, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792

Seems like the sort of thing that would come out just in time for Mother's Day, doesn't it?
ahem....for Mother’s Day, I’m wondering if I should get my Mother something NEW or something she already has but with HD graphics.... what do you think?

Polarthief

Smash Lord

TBH they kinda ****ed up last year. 30th anniversary of Mother 1, year of the pig in Chinese zodiac, Porky mysteriously still missing from Smash Ultimate. Would have been a better thing to reveal last year.

Don't get me wrong, I still do believe it could be Mother/EB related, but it seems like such a missed opportunity for the 30th anniversary to have done... nothing at all for the series.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
ahem....for Mother’s Day, I’m wondering if I should get my Mother something NEW or something she already has but with HD graphics.... what do you think?
Either way I'm just hoping it's in English

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Ah yes, so this is the beginning of "The Big One" Arc of the Geno Thread. Perhaps THE best (if not second best) arc of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC speculation cycle. :2gud: Hmm, let me check who's animating the ...

*reads Studio Bones*

Oh... OH! HORRRRRY SH*************TT-OOOO!!!!

OffBi

Smash Ace
Ah yes, so this is the beginning of "The Big One" Arc of the Geno Thread. Perhaps THE best (if not second best) arc of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC speculation cycle. :2gud: Hmm, let me check who's animating the ...

*reads Studio Bones*

Oh... OH! HORRRRRY SH*************TT-OOOO!!!!
What does this mean?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Back when the Link’s Awakening remake was announced I said that it’d be really cool to get an Earthbound remake in that style so I hope one of the Nintendo ninjas lurking here saw that and made it happen.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
TBH they kinda ****ed up last year. 30th anniversary of Mother 1, year of the pig in Chinese zodiac, Porky mysteriously still missing from Smash Ultimate. Would have been a better thing to reveal last year.

Don't get me wrong, I still do believe it could be Mother/EB related, but it seems like such a missed opportunity for the 30th anniversary to have done... nothing at all for the series.
It's not like Nintendo isn't aware of Earthbound and Mother 3's popularity and demand. When Earthbound was finally rereleased, they ran out of stock. Of a DIGITAL product. But Nintendo is also bad at being consistent with anniversaries.

Porkey's absence is one of most bizarre things in Ultimate. To go from a boss in Brawl (one of the few bosses at that!) to being completely removed by Ultimate? I am not counting the Absolutely Safe Capsule as his representation because that barely makes any sense reference wise. That would be like representing all Mario power ups with only with Spring Mushroom. Granted, Gyigas isn't represented.....but that's a bit more justifiable.

And the Mother 3 spirits use the sprites and not the game renders. Its weird.

The spirit argument is amusing when it comes to people claiming that Geno can't be added as they also claim that Porkey is out too, which is contradictory.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
It's not like Nintendo isn't aware of Earthbound and Mother 3's popularity and demand. When Earthbound was finally rereleased, they ran out of stock. Of a DIGITAL product. But Nintendo is also bad at being consistent with anniversaries.
How is that even possible?

Dan

Smash Lord
Ehh? There is no false “all or nothing” spreading. Again, why waste time and resources for an updated costume when they can copy and paste? They would need to renegotiate with Square and use up assets for a higher quality costume as they’re not gonna get anymore money. These premium looking costumes would probably be nothing but indie characters with a music track to say the least.
Because the San/Cuphead treatment wasn't a thing back then, there's no guarantee he'll be playable and it's better than just having the generic costume.

Sakurai and Nintendo are aware of how requested he is... imagine stringing us along this long for just the generic costume again.

Buddy, let me tell you something.
The premium mii costumes are reserved only for indies.
That is a possibility, but that's also a false rule you're just making up with no authority (which Sakurai will and has broken time again and again).

Edit: Remember when the Fighters Pass was reserved for third parties? :laugh: Just wait till one of the next six is a Spirit.

Plus, there is no way in hell that square would just let them make a geno costume with a song for ****ing 0.99 cents, when they could make so SO MUCH MORE MONEY.
Square doesn't choose the characters... Nintendo and Sakurai do. Square doesn't have any say in how or what content is released other than giving permission.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Alright Geno thread. Just a friendly reminder to try and keep topic based around Geno. Thanks in advance.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'll say this one more time, Geno has just as good a chance of being a general direct reveal as an E3 one. Geno is popular with the Smash fanbase, and could easily be done outside of E3 due to him not being part of one of Square's central IPs, though Cloud himself was revealed in the last general direct of 2015.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I never understood the idea that Nintendo is worried about "setting expectations too high" by starting off FP2 with Geno or something. Nintendo started the base game with Inkling and ****en Ridley, they weren't worried about it then and I doubt they will now. If Nintndo was worried about disappointing people like that, Byleth just wouldn't be in the game at all.

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
I'll say this one more time, Geno has just as good a chance of being a general direct reveal as an E3 one. Geno is popular with the Smash fanbase, and could easily be done outside of E3 due to him not being part of one of Square's central IPs, though Cloud himself was revealed in the last general direct of 2015.
Yeah, to be honest, I don't think Nintendo really cares about when and where Smash characters get announced. Sure Banjo was in the last E3 direct, but Palutena was the grand reveal in a previous E3 direct. And instead of announcing Ryu in the E3 direct back in 2015, they had a specific Smash direct aired like 3 days prior.

Geno can come at any time. Sure he would make for one hell of an E3 reveal, but there's no reason to think that's the only time he would be revealed.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
If Cloud didn't need an E3 reveal, Geno sure as hell does not need one. As much as I love Geno/SMRPG, I know Cloud/FF is INFINITELY more popular.

Honestly, I think Hero and Banjo were just convenient, both being massive characters to the East and West (respectively) and both being in the E3 reveal. Geno can come whenever they want.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
In a span of two E3s in a row, Nintendo showcased Megaman, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer in one and then revealed Miis and Palutena in another. And Cloud was at a regular Direct. So they have shown to not always utilize timing to build logical hype. Geno can easily be E3 or regular Direct. Hell, he could be a memo at 2AM on Sunday and I wouldn't care since it still means that's he's playable.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
In a span of two E3s in a row, Nintendo showcased Megaman, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer in one and then revealed Miis and Palutena in another. And Cloud was at a regular Direct. So they have shown to not always utilize timing to build logical hype. Geno can easily be E3 or regular Direct. Hell, he could be a memo at 2AM on Sunday and I wouldn't care since it still means that's he's playable.
It'd be nicer to get a nice-ass trailer for him, but yeah I'd be fine if they're like "oh yeah btw geno is playable kbai" and then posted his splash screen (because that's how you know it's truly official).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom