• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
His “gimmick” would be timed hits. Some of his attacks would have extra damage/effects if you press/hold and release/etc at certain particular times.
So, at certain frames, pressing/holding the A or B button rewards the better Geno player...
Reminds me of Paper Mario, which itself is a spiritual successor to Super Mario RPG.
So wait, if Geno throws a projectile, does the player need to time a button press the moment said projectile connects with the opponent?
That's gonna be difficult, but at the same time it would set him apart from the regular Mario characters.

For Waluigi, I can only think of moving while charging smash attacks as a gimmick, the same way Waluigi charges his shots in the tennis games.
Maybe add a durability meter similar to the one from Mario Tennis Aces, forcing Waluigi to change his playstyle and adapt, could be fun.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Quick question: Is there a database of all of the Geno (or SMRPG) cameos in TerminalMontage TerminalMontage 's videos? If there isn't, I'd say we should make one. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
I see the defense is ready...
... so is the prosecution, Your Honor.

Another reason why I like Phoenix Wright- I mean- Genix Wright

Quick question: Is there a database of all of the Geno (or SMRPG) cameos in TerminalMontage TerminalMontage 's videos? If there isn't, I'd say we should make one. What do you guys think?
Absolutely! I mean, I know where a lot of them are off of the top of my head so it shouldn't be too hard. Even the very obscure ones like the one in meta knights ship in his 1st Kirby video, and the one in his world of light video when DK falls at the beginning.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
No, it was more than that. It had other character data too. I can't find anymore information cause the list was removed. That's just a tiny snippet of the data found. It also had the full data of Pokemon Trainer(who was cut due to transformation issues as is).

But like I said, the original data dump is erased. But yes, to use Snake in general in the final game, they have to have Konami's permission. The data found here isn't Snake being used, it's leftover unused data of the files from Brawl being transferred over. So either Sakurai didn't ask(which is possible) or negotiations fell through. I don't think he actually clarified if he failed to get Snake back or not. He did mention a small bit about him being one of the many requests on the ballot, but it wasn't too clear beyond that.

As for Geno's stage, I'm thinking a cloudy one based upon Star Road.
Ah, it was all leftover audio files and such from Brawl and nothing that points to actual plans or negotiations to have Snake in the game, that makes more sense.

I could definitely see Star Road working as a stage, though probably with the gimmick that “wishes” would fall on the stage now and then in the form of items, so it might be more of a “no hazards” stage for me.

In other things, it’s looking like multiple sources are finally starting to rev up “general direct soon” rumors, including one that can’t be named. It’s looking like we might very well know the first pass character within the next week or two, which is exciting.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Ah, it was all leftover audio files and such from Brawl and nothing that points to actual plans or negotiations to have Snake in the game, that makes more sense.

I could definitely see Star Road working as a stage, though probably with the gimmick that “wishes” would fall on the stage now and then in the form of items, so it might be more of a “no hazards” stage for me.

In other things, it’s looking like multiple sources are finally starting to rev up “general direct soon” rumors, including one that can’t be named. It’s looking like we might very well know the first pass character within the next week or two, which is exciting.
What sources, exactly? Aside from the one that can’t be named of course.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It’s them and Zippo. Zippo specifically speculates that we won’t be getting any Smash news in it, but I doubt that.
I doubt it too. There has to be some kind of Smash news there. That was just mere speculation, right?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Geno isn´t announced by the end of the year, give up hope
This is a bit dramatic but I kind of agree with it. Kind of like how I kept insisting that the Fighter's Pass was going to end on a flat note (and holy hell was I right), I feel like I'm right on my assertion that these last 6/7 characters are going to be particularly meaningful. Sakurai has made it well-known that this project was basically the last promise that he made to Iwata before he died so this is why I keep repeating that these last characters are going to be a big deal. If you view Ultimate as a final promise between best friends, I feel like certain character expectations are a lot more warranted. Probably going to get a lot of hate mail for this but it is of my opinion that if your character wasn't a big deal in Smash speculation until after Brawl, I can't see them happening. This is yet another reason why I'm extremely confident in Geno because he's one of the few characters that's literally been a part of Smash speculation since the beginning. To further zero in on this, if your character wasn't a "hot topic" by 2008, it's probably for the best that you lower your expectations now. As always, we'll see how things play out but I got a strong feeling that, even if my character predictions wind up being wrong, I'm probably right on this guiding principle.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
In addition, I'd say if another Square-Enix rep is announced for this pass (like say, 2B), I'd stick a fork in Geno by that point as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is a bit dramatic but I kind of agree with it. Kind of like how I kept insisting that the Fighter's Pass was going to end on a flat note (and holy hell was I right), I feel like I'm right on my assertion that these last 6/7 characters are going to be particularly meaningful. Sakurai has made it well-known that this project was basically the last promise that he made to Iwata before he died so this is why I keep repeating that these last characters are going to be a big deal. If you view Ultimate as a final promise between best friends, I feel like certain character expectations are a lot more warranted. Probably going to get a lot of hate mail for this but it is of my opinion that if your character wasn't a big deal in Smash speculation until after Brawl, I can't see them happening. This is yet another reason why I'm extremely confident in Geno because he's one of the few characters that's literally been a part of Smash speculation since the beginning. To further zero in on this, if your character wasn't a "hot topic" by 2008, it's probably for the best that you lower your expectations now. As always, we'll see how things play out but I got a strong feeling that, even if my character predictions wind up being wrong, I'm probably right on this guiding principle.
Do insiders in general still feel very confident about Geno and the Mii costumes?

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

Just going to do a casual driveby and give everyone a piece of info I was given permission to share (And no, its not from Fatman).

The Direct is very likely happening on the first week of February. From what I was told, this is the date that is being agreed upon behind the scenes. Though it could be subject to change.

Basically, I would estimate that its 70% chance of the 5-6th, and 30% of the 12-13th based on this information.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Sure, but end of the year would be December 2020. Even if he’s not announced this year he could be one of the characters revealed in 2021 if they do end up going out that far. Also tbh considering we just got Byleth a character that didn’t even exist a few years ago I don’t think Sakurai would be totally against seeing what big requests were around the time the second wave was agreed upon. If Grinch Leak could have steered decision making I don’t see why newer requests around that time period couldn’t have either.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Sure, but end of the year would be December 2020. Even if he’s not announced this year he could be one of the characters revealed in 2021 if they do end up going out that far. Also tbh considering we just got Byleth a character that didn’t even exist a few years ago I don’t think Sakurai would be totally against seeing what big requests were around the time the second wave was agreed upon. If Grinch Leak could have steered decision making I don’t see why newer requests around that time period couldn’t have either.
is that 2021 just a stand in date and not saying characters can be revealed then?

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
So, nice to see Fatman back. Still waiting on our boi to come along. Waiting for Geno is a journey I hope we can finally close the story book on this year. The missing costume HAS to mean something...

On a short side note, my indie game now has a Twitter! If you're interested, dm me since the mods probably don't want off topic discussion and I'm just trying to spread the word. You guys are like family.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Decided to check up some dates to make sure and, guys, if patterns are to be believed, and if Nintendo, Sakurai and Co. are going along with it;

• The first Fighters Pass was announced during the 11/1/2018 Smash Direct (yet no release date).
  • Challenger Pack 1 - Joker from Persona 5 was revealed during The Game Awards 2018 (first DLC fighter of the pass; this took place on 12/7/2018).
  • The first Fighters Pass became available for purchase on... 12/7/2018.
  • On the latest Smash Direct (from 1/16/2020), Sakurai officially announced Fighters Pass Vol. 2, which will consist of six (6) Challenger Packs. The Pass will be available for "pre-purchase" (actually, just purchase because it'll be just as last time with the first Fighters Pass) on January 28th, 2020.
  • Following from 2018's timeline then, Challenger Pack 6 (the first DLC fighter of the second pass) could most likely be revealed on... January 28th, 2020.
Going a bit further with the aforementioned points, if the pattern is to mirror that of 2018's not just on timing, but also on impact, I could in fact see Challenger Pack 6 being Crash Bandicoot since, right now his situation feels similar to Hero's. I say Hero's because back then, prior to E3 2019, Erdrick had been rumored and mentioned around A LOT, and apparently it was known that he'd be coming around that time (correct me if I'm wrong). Likewise was Banjo's case. Besides the noise surrounding Crash, it has a parallel to Joker in that both characters come from Playstation exclusive games (although Joker appeared on Persona Q2 for the 3DS); except that in Crash's case, this is true ONLY in retrospect (the late 90s era). Both are characters that at first glance are seen as "Playstation exclusive" but, with the passage of time their games have made their way onto Nintendo systems (Crash of course appearing as early as the Game Cube era).

As for Geno, I guess I'll bank from now that he'll most likely be an E3 2020 reveal a-la Banjo & Kazooie (following the consensus of some Genobros of him being one of the "never-evers"), being revealed near the end of the Direct.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Do insiders in general still feel very confident about Geno and the Mii costumes?
Yes. A lot of people are now going "HMMM" about that deconfirmation list I posted the other day too because there's a lot of goofy coincidences and the handful of people who know the whole list and agreeing that "huh, that's... Actually kind of a realistic Mii costume spread based on what we know..." Of my six character predictions, Geno, Crash, and Dante are the ones people agree with me the most on. Waluigi is by far the least followed by Lloyd and then Master Chief, weirdly enough. (Yes, more insiders have more confidence in Master Chief than Waluigi at the moment. That was not a typo.)

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Aaaand here's another video reviewing Super Mario RPG. The reviewer mentions a few points that do make you wonder (in a good way).

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Yes. A lot of people are now going "HMMM" about that deconfirmation list I posted the other day too because there's a lot of goofy coincidences and the handful of people who know the whole list and agreeing that "huh, that's... Actually kind of a realistic Mii costume spread based on what we know..." Of my six character predictions, Geno, Crash, and Dante are the ones people agree with me the most on. Waluigi is by far the least followed by Lloyd and then Master Chief, weirdly enough. (Yes, more insiders have more confidence in Master Chief than Waluigi at the moment. That was not a typo.)
I can’t seem to find this deconfirmation list, got a link?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Do not trust any Smash rumors right now.

From what I have heard, insiders have no clue about anything Smash related atm (apart from the Hayabusa situation mentioned by Verge). Any rumor that is being spread about future DLC is likely bunk with no substance to it.

Firox

Smash Master
Dec 2021 does seem to be a placeholder end-date. Double E3 reveals are probably back on the table.
I really hope this is the case. I'm gonna be pretty bent if we go 6 months until the next SINGLE reveal...

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I'm just going to pop back for a little bit because I had time to think and reflect my previous stance that I had during the Fighters Pass Vol 1 and how there was really going to be any requested characters added to Ultimate. I now came to the conclusion that the same is going to apply to Vol 2, we're barely going to see any requested characters that are in the same vein as Ridley and K. Rool added in.

Looking at Vol 1 we only had one character added in solely because they were requested (Banjo) and then we had Hero was added a little because of request but mostly for marketing Dragon Quest XI S in the west. Out of five characters that pretty on the low end.

Now with Fighter Five being revealed to be Byleth shows Nintendo's & Sakurai's stance, they don't care about what characters you've been begging for. This was originally going to be the very last DLC character (it's more apparent that Vol 2 was decided upon due to the success of early sells of Vol 1 seeing how we got five characters in the span of 13 months and now we're getting six characters in the span of two years) and to end Ultimate they chose a character who's game was even out yet (Vol 1 was finalized on November 2018, Three Houses releases in July 2019). The last character that was going to be added in was a marketing character for a game they had no idea on how it would be received by the time they decided it. Sakurai and Nintendo knew about the over overabundance of Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros but they didn't care. They knew they couldn't end Smash Bros without the latest FE character which is why they had to make Sakurai play an early build of the game. This honestly shows that they really don't care about what fans have been asking for. They have a whole list of characters they know people want and just ignored it for their final pick.

I'm sure people are going to argue that it's going to be different now with the new pass, but I don't think so. Byleth is now the third most dislike Nintendo video on YouTube, but all six character were already decided upon before they can learn from that reaction. If they weren't really listening to the fans that much for Fighters Pass Vol 1 what makes you think anything is going to be different in Vol 2? Why would Nintendo make Vol 2 cater more to fan requested characters when they were good with ending Ultimate off with Byleth? I think we're going to predominately get characters that people really weren't wanting (like Piranha Plant, Joker and Terry), get one requested character (which at this point I'm just going to give up on it being Geno now) and the newest Pokemon.

Also if anyone keeps thinking that Byleth was originally going to be the first fighter in Vol 2 and was switched out with Fighter Five to make Vol 2 be more interesting really needs to think things over again. It's a stupid theory.

D

Deleted member

I'm just going to pop back for a little bit because I had time to think and reflect my previous stance that I had during the Fighters Pass Vol 1 and how there was really going to be any requested characters added to Ultimate. I now came to the conclusion that the same is going to apply to Vol 2, we're barely going to see any requested characters that are in the same vein as Ridley and K. Rool added in.

Looking at Vol 1 we only had one character added in solely because they were requested (Banjo) and then we had Hero was added a little because of request but mostly for marketing Dragon Quest XI S in the west. Out of five characters that pretty on the low end.

Now with Fighter Five being revealed to be Byleth shows Nintendo's & Sakurai's stance, they don't care about what characters you've been begging for. This was originally going to be the very last DLC character (it's more apparent that Vol 2 was decided upon due to the success of early sells of Vol 1 seeing how we got five characters in the span of 13 months and now we're getting six characters in the span of two years) and to end Ultimate they chose a character who's game was even out yet (Vol 1 was finalized on November 2018, Three Houses releases in July 2019). The last character that was going to be added in was a marketing character for a game they had no idea on how it would be received by the time they decided it. Sakurai and Nintendo knew about the over overabundance of Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros but they didn't care. They knew they couldn't end Smash Bros without the latest FE character which is why they had to make Sakurai play an early build of the game. This honestly shows that they really don't care about what fans have been asking for. They have a whole list of characters they know people want and just ignored it for their final pick.

I'm sure people are going to argue that it's going to be different now with the new pass, but I don't think so. Byleth is now the third most dislike Nintendo video on YouTube, but all six character were already decided upon before they can learn from that reaction. If they weren't really listening to the fans that much for Fighters Pass Vol 1 what makes you think anything is going to be different in Vol 2? Why would Nintendo make Vol 2 cater more to fan requested characters when they were good with ending Ultimate off with Byleth? I think we're going to predominately get characters that people really weren't wanting (like Piranha Plant, Joker and Terry), get one requested character (which at this point I'm just going to give up on it being Geno now) and the newest Pokemon.

Also if anyone keeps thinking that Byleth was originally going to be the first fighter in Vol 2 and was switched out with Fighter Five to make Vol 2 be more interesting really needs to think things over again. It's a stupid theory.
That’s nice Wynn.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Aaaand here's another video reviewing Super Mario RPG. The reviewer mentions a few points that do make you wonder (in a good way).

>Sharing a random generic YouTube vidya reviewer who takes 10 minutes to tell me little about the game and why it's good and ends up saying very little at all just because it was about a game we like
PicsArt_01-13-05.41.19-1.png

PeopleWhoComplainAboutTheRoster.png

ok doomer

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I don't think we can make any assumptions about FP2 until we at least see who #6 is.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, very requested character like Joker. A character where every supporter believes who had no chance in getting into Smash Bros. I guess Terry was also a highly requested character as well.
============> (The Point)

(Your Head)

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Oh yeah, very requested character like Joker. A character where every supporter believes who had no chance in getting into Smash Bros. I guess Terry was also a highly requested character as well.
>People are still salty about Joker to this day.

Lol.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
I completely disagree, purely based on By’s reveal trailer. Sakurai went through all those hoops to keep FP5 a secret from even Nintendo, but he was willing to let the animation style of the trailer spoil the rep immediately? Not even the character itself, but the style. To go through all that drama just to ruin the surprise in the most lackluster of ways? Laughable.

They weren’t going to be 6, definitely not—even Sakurai knows you can’t sell a pass with another tired Fire Emblem rep—but to say that they always intended to close out the only round of DLC with a divisive character from an unreleased (at the time of choosing) game after apologizing to the Xenoblade fans for not even considering a character because his game was released too late is just too hypocritical—even for Sakurai.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Outside of insider stuff, I still think this is notable:

https://store.nintendo.com/super-nintendo-entertainment-system-controller.html

Somebody pointed this out in this thread a while back and I think it will still hold true. Again, it coincides with what I was told on Christmas about an SNES dump "coming soon" and how Nintendo even stated in the fall that Online game "dumps" would be announced with bigger gaps in-between them, heavily implying most would be reserved for Directs. This said, basically what we're looking at based on this is either the SNES dump announced this week just because or in a Direct.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Outside of insider stuff, I still think this is notable:

https://store.nintendo.com/super-nintendo-entertainment-system-controller.html

Somebody pointed this out in this thread a while back and I think it will still hold true. Again, it coincides with what I was told on Christmas about an SNES dump "coming soon" and how Nintendo even stated in the fall that Online game "dumps" would be announced with bigger gaps in-between them, heavily implying most would be reserved for Directs. This said, basically what we're looking at based on this is either the SNES dump announced this week just because or in a Direct.
It would be in a dump.

Trust me, there is no Direct this week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom