• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Lot of people just wouldn't want to see Waluigi get promoted over other more "deserving" characters as is.
The only thing that makes a character deserving is how fun they would be, and Sakurai said that how fun a character would be matters more than relevance or what games a character has appeared in when he was doing the Terry presentation. That said, I am sure the latter two things is not that important to Sakurai as some people think.

Droodle

Smash Lord
That's why I¨m saying that they should have revealed at least one or two fan-favorite (and not adding Chrom in the first place). This is coming from someone that is actually stooked for Byleth and looking forward to trying him out btw.
It's been a consistent pattern for a long time (probably the only pattern that holds up anymore). Sakurai always tends to start with the bigger characters and end on more controversial picks. I would bet money that, that will happen in the next pass too. We'll probably start with some big third parties and fan-favorites before we go towards nicher and nicher characters to end off.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
.....are a lot of characters gonna get costumed with Waluigi?
Here's the thing... If my theory is right about literally one AT promotion and one more first/second party character in DLC, that's the door slamming shut for a ton of fanbases. It was one of the things I was always afraid about when it came to a hypothetical AT promotion but that's the reality of it. Based on where we're at right now, we have a basic theory that three of the packs will be Nintendo, Square, and Namco; that's half. If you believe the Dante rumors, that's four. At most, we'd be getting two totally new companies. It's pretty realistic that we're getting one new company and, again, if Nintendo's swerving bigg'uns like Ubisoft and (theoretically) Bethesda, they must have a very particular company in mind. Double dipping is even less likely here than it was for the Fighter's Pass so once a company gets a rep, it's GG for everyone else, possibly until the next game.

link2702

Smash Champion
Sakurai claimed Nintendo gave him a list to choose from (pretty sure that was what he said, some claim he said Nintendo chose themselves but I don’t think that was what he meant, either way on to my point...), but i get the feeling more and more sakurai was lying then, just like he lied(or “Nintendo lied” ) about how completely new series were going to be represented in smash.

Look at all the picks, 3 are sakurai favorites, 1 is a huge japan icon, and one is a fan pick, more so in the west.

Isn’t it just a LITTLE suspicious that 3 of the characters are from series sakurai absolutely loves? Hell idk if he’s a huge dq fan so for all I know it might be 4.

If Nintendo really did just give him a list, that list had to be pretty freaking huge. Honestly i call bs on it. Smash ultimate’s dlc was 100% in sakurai’s control.

This really doesn’t hurt geno’s chance of course, but i get the feeling pass two might also be more towards sakurai bias, whether that bodes well for other fan favorites idk, geno is pretty safe though imo.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I think we're less optimistic because the stakes are so much higher. With the first Fighter Pass, we always held out hope that there'd be individual fighters, bonus characters, a 2nd pass, etc. Now though? This is it and if another Square character makes it in then we're probably done for. The risks are higher but so are the rewards I suppose.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Just thought of something. Sakurai briefly mentioned the fp6 is essentially ready rn but is holding off until later.

Anyone know when the new doom was supposed to release before it got delayed? Maybe fp6 actually is Doomguy and its coming out in march?

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Just thought of something. Sakurai briefly mentioned the fp6 is essentially ready rn but is holding off until later.

Anyone know when the new doom was supposed to release before it got delayed? Maybe fp6 actually is Doomguy and its coming out in march?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. If Doom Slayer is coming, maybe he was meant to be in the first pass but got swapped to the second when the game was delayed.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice

If that happened and somehow confirmed Cacomallow, that would make the waiting much more bearable.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
That would have been an amusing discussion:

'Sakurai, the next character is ready sooner than planned. Should we do a double reveal on the 16th?'
'No, just Byleth. I'm sure he'll go over very well with everyone.'

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I'm sorry, Fatman, but I must respectfully disagree with what you say about Indies.
One point is fairly obvious, but another is that Sakurai is less predictable than most insiders. Insiders themselves can either be wrong or deliberately mislead others seeking such knowledge. I have respect for you and your platform, but to disregard Indies altogether is not a wise move, at least until Sakurai says "I'm Finished" with DLC for Smash Ultimate.
I hope you have a good day and you get to drink and eat nice foodstuffs.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Considering that the Switch version has been delayed indefinitely (we know it's coming out, though we don't know when), I doubt Sakurai would push back a character to coincide with a game release.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Considering that the Switch version has been delayed indefinitely (we know it's coming out, though we don't know when), I doubt Sakurai would push back a character to coincide with a game release.
That raises a question I’ve been wondering for a few days now. How much control does Sakurai have over the character release schedule?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, I still have hope for Geno, even though this is gonna be a long two years and even though he may not be announced in the next Direct. Anyone else still have hope?

Speaking of Directs, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , when in February do you think the next Direct will be?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
about how completely new series were going to be represented in smash.
Sigh... Reggie never said that there would be new IP only. He said that they would be CHARACTERS new to the series, which Byleth technically is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHt3FyE-VIQ&t=12721s start listening to the stream at 3:31:00 and you hear it yourself

And Sakurai didn¨t exactly lie about new worlds either, concidering Three Houses isn¨t exactly connected to any of the pre-existing entries in the franchise.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
...if Nintendo's swerving bigg'uns like Ubisoft and (theoretically) Bethesda, they must have a very particular company in mind.
The difference is Ubisoft had content in the base game, it's still unprecedented to get Mii costumes from an unrepresented major third party developer like Bethesda.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Sigh... Reggie never said that there would be new IP only. He said that they would be CHARACTERS new to the series, which Byleth technically is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHt3FyE-VIQ&t=12721s start listening to the stream at 3:31:00 and you hear it yourself
Yeah, he also clearly says they are characters you would not anticipate being in smash brothers, don't really see how FE character #8 fits that criteria.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm really doubtful about a FP3 y'all. Especially if the deadline for FP2 is two years from now.
Sounds like it's a placeholder date. Usually when games are announced but the release date is not confirmed, retailers default to the last day of the year. The Shovel Knight amiibos were listed as 12/31/19 until they officially released earlier December.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've understood your speculation so far Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , but doesnt Long Tall Sally getting in before Geno worry you? Two Mario reps is one thing, particulalry with one being 3rd party, but two in a row? It concerns me.

The AT and Spirit promo thing makes sense, particularly together. I'd be more confident in my own speculation if they were revealed together. Sort of Sakurai's biggest middle finger to two annoying fan rules in one fell swoop.
Not really. Gomez Addams and Geno are nothing alike so it's barely an issue. Playstyle wise and aesthetically, they're incredibly different. Every Smash game except Brawl has had at least two new Mario characters and, if you count the spin-offs, Smash 64 had 4, Melee had 3, Brawl had 2, and Smash 4 had 2 and all the Koopalings and Doc being added back in. With Smash Ultimate, we currently have two, the biggest clone in Smash history and a potted plant. That said, Vincent Price and Geno would be perfectly acceptable to have.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hey guys, just gathering data for something. If you could, please answer this poll about Geno. It's only one question.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm sorry, Fatman, but I must respectfully disagree with what you say about Indies.
One point is fairly obvious, but another is that Sakurai is less predictable than most insiders. Insiders themselves can either be wrong or deliberately mislead others seeking such knowledge. I have respect for you and your platform, but to disregard Indies altogether is not a wise move, at least until Sakurai says "I'm Finished" with DLC for Smash Ultimate.
I hope for Shantae most of all when it comes to Indie characters, so I hope we both get our most wanted characters in.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yeah, he also clearly says they are characters you would not anticipate being in smash brothers, don't really see how FE character #8 fits that criteria.
It¨s easy to say that now that Byleth is revealed. Pretty much no one believed Byleth was gonna be one of these five since Rex & Pyra were not able to appear in the base game. It wasn¨t until they announced more DLC that people started to wonder if they would join the fray in the second wave

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Sounds like it's a placeholder date. Usually when games are announced but the release date is not confirmed, retailers default to the last day of the year. The Shovel Knight amiibos were listed as 12/31/19 until they officially released earlier December.
It's possible, but I'm not sure they would print that unless it was in the ballpark or something like they did for FP1.

I.D.

Smash Lord
It¨s easy to say that now that Byleth is revealed. Pretty much no one believed Byleth was gonna be one of these five since Rex & Pyra were not able to appear in the base game. It wasn¨t until they announced more DLC that people started to wonder if they would join the fray in the second wave
That's true. I myself admit I was completely dumbfounded, I already knew that Sakurai had a bias for Fire Emblem, but I never imagined it would be this shameless.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here's the thing... If my theory is right about literally one AT promotion and one more first/second party character in DLC, that's the door slamming shut for a ton of fanbases. It was one of the things I was always afraid about when it came to a hypothetical AT promotion but that's the reality of it. Based on where we're at right now, we have a basic theory that three of the packs will be Nintendo, Square, and Namco; that's half. If you believe the Dante rumors, that's four. At most, we'd be getting two totally new companies. It's pretty realistic that we're getting one new company and, again, if Nintendo's swerving bigg'uns like Ubisoft and (theoretically) Bethesda, they must have a very particular company in mind. Double dipping is even less likely here than it was for the Fighter's Pass so once a company gets a rep, it's GG for everyone else, possibly until the next game.
Who do you think or heard might be that 1st/2nd party character?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

As someone who wants Shantae playable too, I'm not super hopeful. Lots of factors including how indies have been treated so far. Could an indie be one of the six? I suppose but the six names I'm currently proposing are all huge deals in the Smash fanbase and I don't know if anyone really stacks up to them in the Indie world, especially with the likes of Shovel Knight, Cuphead, and Undertale already torpedoed.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I take comfort in the fact that even if we were barking up the wrong tree and it wasn't Doomslayer, Artifact/Crop/Poster theory was still 100% RIGHT

2jq37o.jpg

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
That's true. I myself admit I was completely dumbfounded, I already knew that Sakurai had a bias for Fire Emblem, but I never imagined it would be this shameless.
Granted... this comes from someone that is stooked for Byleth... but to quote Stealth from twitter

"Sakurai has basically added every Smash character that everyone has ever wanted with this game......K. Rool, Simon, Banjo, Ridley.......give the man his new Fire Emblem character. He's earned it haha.!"

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
It is possible he didn't knew about Byelth yet since he was only weeks away from announcing his retirement and Sakurai did say there are lots at Nintendo who didn't know who CP5 was.

D

Deleted member

Don’t know if this meme has been posted yet but yeah.
E293A4F6-62CD-4F54-8671-FC9501079AF8.jpeg

Credits to @thegreyzen on Twitter

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, that Gamesplot SKU number thing was last week, right? I don't suppose anyone has kept track of the typical distance between those and Directs? Given the amount of news Nintendo has recently dropped both in and outside of presentations, I feel like Nintendo can't hold its metaphorical bladder for too much longer. Looking at Nintendo Direct history, the latest they've ever done one was the 23rd (coincidentally yet another Thursday this month) which suggests this coming week is last call for January. Beyond that, Directs generally happen on the second week of the month so, if this coming week falls through, we're likely looking at the week of February 10th since February starts on a weekend this year.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I take comfort in the fact that even if we were barking up the wrong tree and it wasn't Doomslayer, Artifact/Crop/Poster theory was still 100% RIGHT

View attachment 258184
Indeed while was the wrong character it was still legit

So the next time Sakurai does one of the those presentation and the character is unknown

Check for any bad cropping

But really there’s no possible way to know who it is even with those it could be color background or the character

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for answering me Fatman. I respect the living heck outta you brother. Here's to Geno yall!

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So I've been thinking about 6 since it's likely to be showing up in a few weeks. First I can't help but wonder if waluigi was the steve to byleth's banjo. We have confirmation from the man himself wah's name was pushed from every possible avenue to the point of absurdity and wasn't taken seriously at all until fatman decided to claim it for his #6 prediction. Knowing now that there was a nintendo pick in the pass it makes sense to me that he could have been part of the misinformation campaign going on, that and I struggle to find comparable offerings waluigi could have to fill out a challenger pack that wouldn't feel like a massive reach.

On the other hand as we learned today nothing is truly confirmed or deconfirmed until it happens and as such wah is a possibility and if AT's are on the table he still is one of the most notable candidates. So I'd like to talk about mii costumes for a bit. One trend I noticed very early on was 2 returning costumed per character with hero's being mysteriously absent, and frankly I expect this to continue until they run out. however given the original hypothesis that they would be pointing to geno/lloyd/capcom leading out our pass, I realized that the theory is likely going to live or die by the next 3 reveals, since it wouldn't make any sense to skip at this point when there is nothing left in the project plan to hold them off for. So my point is that if waluigi does in fact make it in as 6 then I expect him to come with one set of those costumes which as banjo and byleth showed us don't require any themeing to work. Now which one gets axed is up in the air but my bet is on capcom, geno already had his strange absence from hero so I feel rather confident in him and namco feels like a much more likely partner to work with, especially if one of those costumes is the fighter in question and can slim the total down to 2 naturally and tales has a lot of stuff going for it right now anyway. Capcom has already randomly filled 2 packs and frankly I don't see why it can't fill a third.

To sum it up my current predictions are that either waluigi was leakbait for byleth and never seriously considered or waluigi will come with a pair of the smash4 costumes and knock someone else out, personally betting on capcom. Siding with the former until further notice.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
6 more is so many more tbh.

After adding the 20th fire emblem sword user:132: I see a new generation pokemon as very likely now (or unlikely, a new trainer)

Also keep in mind most picks so far have been Sakurai choices, NOT the Smash 4 ballot realized. Sakurai likes Geno though so send him your spirit bomb energy!

D

Deleted member

Kinda backing Phoenix more then Dante more of an attachment. I do hope Dante gets in and would love if he did.

Many Fire Emblem characters not enough Legend of Zelda characters is kinda sad too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom