• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Yeah. It's also super convenient because it fits perfectly into a ton of our theorycraft and predictions in this thread:

-5 was ready to present in November but wasn't.

-5 probably started being "polished" around the time Terry released.

-Amiibo releases and character releases are still a consistent pattern.

-Characters typically being released before their respective Amiibo wave is still a consistent pattern.

-At least one other character is now ready to present.
Great, i remember you saying something among the lines of there being one or two characters already in "testing". could one of those be Geno?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Great, i remember you saying something among the lines of there being one or two characters already in "testing". could one of those be Geno?
Based on the timing, I'm assuming that 6 and 7 are the two characters being "polished" because E3 is still 5 months away and we're probably getting at least a double in that presentation anyways. Like I said on New Year's Eve, my prediction is that 6 will be February or early March and 7 will be April. The fact the "5 being shadowdropped" theory was confirmed strengthens my confidence in this.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Morning from NY Geno brethren

Roughly this time tomorrow we'll be moments away from getting off the fighter pass ride.

I am still confident for Geno in playable form, and aside from one or two bad moments, I'd like to think I've been overall positive. But seeing as tomorrow has so much riding on it, I still find myself completely nerve wracked.

I'm in a bad head space, but I really appreciate you all so much. My small time in this community has been empowering and enriching. Bless you all and here's to tomorrow helping Geno along

Also, i missed hat fest and I'm photo editing illiterate. If it isnt too much trouble, I'd love to join the phenomenon. My humblest thanks. ;,^_^

D

Deleted member

Very Nintendo character huh?

That'd be great if they ended on that still have no idea who that could be.

Could be Shantae dang man she'd deserve it. Would be really happy for her or Professor Layton or Pheonix Wright. (Though I want Dante more on that last one) Still sounds cool!

Last edited by a moderator:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Guess what this video talks about?

Saw this glad I agrees we are one to something about the cut out he still thinks it’s arle though which I can agree with a possibility of it being the case

5:45 is the important part

7:28 is another important part

For those wondering on doomguy

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Based on the timing, I'm assuming that 6 and 7 are the two characters being "polished" because E3 is still 5 months away and we're probably getting at least a double in that presentation anyways. Like I said on New Year's Eve, my prediction is that 6 will be February or early March and 7 will be April. The fact the "5 being shadowdropped" theory was confirmed strengthens my confidence in this.
Oh man, looks like things are lining up to something big in a few months

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to bother you good sir, but just for clarity since my head is a whirlwind, when you say February for 6 and April for 7 you mean playable for February/March and April or just revealed?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sorry to bother you good sir, but just for clarity since my head is a whirlwind, when you say February for 6 and April for 7 you mean playable for February/March and April or just revealed?
Release. I'm currently predicting 6 to be revealed in this presentation and 7 during whenever the ****in' General Direct finally happens.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Could be Shantae dang man she'd deserve it. Would be really happy for her or Professor Layton or Pheonix Wright. (Though I want Dante more on that last one) Still sounds cool!
I'm really hoping it's either Shantae, Geno, or Phoenix Wright too brother. I hope they all get in before this DLC cycle is all wrapped up.

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , what are your thoughts on Zippo's comment on #75 being very closely related to Nintendo but not at the same time?

Wait, Piranha Plant was the base for Joker? I don’t remember anything like that. The save-wipe glitch depended on certain SD cards, anyway.
I don't remember hearing that either. But what I do remember hearing awhile back was that there was some insiders who got to see or claimed to see Piranha Plant a short while before he was announced. They said Bowser Jr. was being used as Plant's base.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I kinda have to ask Fatmanonice with Sony skipping E3 this year.

Is there any chance Nintendo does the same?

I mean they could just do a seperate Direct from the event in June.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
What if Fatmanonice Fatmanonice himself was actually Fighter #5 all along? He has been lying to us and deceiving us! "You thought it was Dragonborn or Geno, but it was ME, Fatmanonice!"

...nah, that's silly. ...unless?...

...Or maybe it's wynn or something, amiright MisterMike MisterMike

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What if Fatmanonice Fatmanonice himself was actually Fighter #5 all along? He has been lying to us and deceiving us! "You thought it was Dragonborn or Geno, but it was ME, Fatmanonice!"

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice would be the best character ever. He would dominant the meta game and be top tier in Smash. ;)

D

Deleted member

I mentioned this stuff over in the Geno discord, but I figure I'll bring it here too: I've been relatively convinced that the big insiders have been the targets of a misinformation campaign for quite some time, leading to people like Sabi and Vergeben being outright wrong about their #5 predictions and they likely would have been entirely wrong about Terry had Nintendo not leaked it themselves.

Given that belief, I think that if Zippo has any information that corroborates with Sabi, it is incorrect. However, I think that when Sabi said "corroborates", he meant that Zippo corroborates the fact that #5 is dangerous to share outright, to which I say "no ****". Every character is dangerous to share, you're breaking a contract with your employer.

Assuming that Zippo is correct, though, and this character is a third party that is very "Nintendo", it really takes any current Bethesda IP off the table aside from Doom, and definitely eliminates Master Chief. Obviously, it also eliminates folks like Dante and Travis, one of which was never on a Nintendo console until recently, and the other who so far cannot survive without them. To make matters a bit worse, the other characters who fit this bill are already in Smash.

Now, most people wouldn't think Nintendo when they think Doom, but it's important to recall that before 2004, the only home consoles to ever host a Doom title were the SNES (Doom) and the N64 (Doom 64). Aside from those two instances, Doom was a PC exclusive. This matches up with the Sakurai background theory quite well, since we have a character whose background is likely a dark orange/brown, and whose clothes are green.

Ryu Hayabusa also comes to mind as a third party franchise that was, at one point, closely associated with Nintendo, but has proven that it doesn't rely on Nintendo's support to survive. Ryu could obviously come with any background color, but the green doesn't quite add up. There's a chance that the green in Sakurai's hair is actually a different color, but I'd say that unless he's dyed his hair extremely dark green, the white lighting in the room would have a hard time lying to us in terms of reflected color against a black surface... and he was created by a Japanese company, which thanks to Sakurai tweeting in English about this presentation along with the speculation from Fatman's sources, this character is all but confirmed to be a western character.... And you know, I'm inclined to trust the speculation of Fatman's sources because they haven't been wrong on the broad details, just the finer points.

That "western character" caveat is one of the things that makes Zippo harder to believe - if this is a character who is somewhat emblematic of Nintendo, then they're a western, third party character who has had not only a presence on Nintendo in the past to the point that one could easily associate them with Nintendo, but has lasted all this time to be reasonably standalone. Off the top of my head, I can't tell you many western developed NES or SNES games that weren't made by Rare, and I honest to God think we've gotten as much from Microsoft as we're gonna get. Other western games ended up being one-offs that didn't last (become a franchise) or movie/comic book tie-ins that would never make it into Smash, anyway.

The tl;dr here is that I don't put any stock in Zippo's statements unless they're pointing to Doom Guy, and that's only because within the context he provided, that's the only character off the top of my head that I can think up, and I'm not going to dig through the annals of Nintendo history to find another jolly green giant that was raised in the Nintendo nursery and grew up to be his own man. You may think I'm being lazy about it, but really, think about it - we have someone saying this character is as Nintendo as apple pie is American... so I should be able to think of them off the top of my head, especially if they managed to maintain relevance throughout the years. The way Zippo worded it is so pointlessly vague that I don't believe it would have gotten any traction at all if Sabi hadn't brought it up, and again, it seems like all Sabi did was give yet another worthless morsel of information in that "this guy says it's dangerous to share the identity of Fighter 5 which I agree with". Safe plays from a person whose relevancy is quickly diminishing.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I mentioned this stuff over in the Geno discord, but I figure I'll bring it here too: I've been relatively convinced that the big insiders have been the targets of a misinformation campaign for quite some time, leading to people like Sabi and Vergeben being outright wrong about their #5 predictions and they likely would have been entirely wrong about Terry had Nintendo not leaked it themselves.

Given that belief, I think that if Zippo has any information that corroborates with Sabi, it is incorrect. However, I think that when Sabi said "corroborates", he meant that Zippo corroborates the fact that #5 is dangerous to share outright, to which I say "no ****". Every character is dangerous to share, you're breaking a contract with your employer.

Assuming that Zippo is correct, though, and this character is a third party that is very "Nintendo", it really takes any current Bethesda IP off the table aside from Doom, and definitely eliminates Master Chief. Obviously, it also eliminates folks like Dante and Travis, one of which was never on a Nintendo console until recently, and the other who so far cannot survive without them. To make matters a bit worse, the other characters who fit this bill are already in Smash.

Now, most people wouldn't think Nintendo when they think Doom, but it's important to recall that before 2004, the only home consoles to ever host a Doom title were the SNES (Doom) and the N64 (Doom 64). Aside from those two instances, Doom was a PC exclusive. This matches up with the Sakurai background theory quite well, since we have a character whose background is likely a dark orange/brown, and whose clothes are green.

Ryu Hayabusa also comes to mind as a third party franchise that was, at one point, closely associated with Nintendo, but has proven that it doesn't rely on Nintendo's support to survive. Ryu could obviously come with any background color, but the green doesn't quite add up. There's a chance that the green in Sakurai's hair is actually a different color, but I'd say that unless he's dyed his hair extremely dark green, the white lighting in the room would have a hard time lying to us in terms of reflected color against a black surface... and he was created by a Japanese company, which thanks to Sakurai tweeting in English about this presentation along with the speculation from Fatman's sources, this character is all but confirmed to be a western character.... And you know, I'm inclined to trust the speculation of Fatman's sources because they haven't been wrong on the broad details, just the finer points.

That "western character" caveat is one of the things that makes Zippo harder to believe - if this is a character who is somewhat emblematic of Nintendo, then they're a western, third party character who has had not only a presence on Nintendo in the past to the point that one could easily associate them with Nintendo, but has lasted all this time to be reasonably standalone. Off the top of my head, I can't tell you many western developed NES or SNES games that weren't made by Rare, and I honest to God think we've gotten as much from Microsoft as we're gonna get. Other western games ended up being one-offs that didn't last (become a franchise) or movie/comic book tie-ins that would never make it into Smash, anyway.

The tl;dr here is that I don't put any stock in Zippo's statements unless they're pointing to Doom Guy, and that's only because within the context he provided, that's the only character off the top of my head that I can think up, and I'm not going to dig through the annals of Nintendo history to find another jolly green giant that was raised in the Nintendo nursery and grew up to be his own man. You may think I'm being lazy about it, but really, think about it - we have someone saying this character is as Nintendo as apple pie is American... so I should be able to think of them off the top of my head, especially if they managed to maintain relevance throughout the years. The way Zippo worded it is so pointlessly vague that I don't believe it would have gotten any traction at all if Sabi hadn't brought it up, and again, it seems like all Sabi did was give yet another worthless morsel of information in that "this guy says it's dangerous to share the identity of Fighter 5 which I agree with". Safe plays from a person whose relevancy is quickly diminishing.

Points to shantae being on Gameboy color, and only nintendo systems till ports of her later games. Plus shantae was in a warioware game and for awhile she seemed very tied to nintendo.

Droodle

Smash Lord

Yeah but apparently another moderator came in and straight up said the character is "unpopular". And Zippo made no statement on that.

Whether they mean "unpopular" in the general sense of gaming or "unpopular" in the sense of Smash speculation isn't clear; but Doomguy doesn't qualify for both. This makes me think that the character can't be Doomguy.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah but apparently another moderator came in and straight up said the character is "unpopular". And Zippo made no statement on that.

Whether they mean "unpopular" in the general sense of gaming or "unpopular" in the sense of Smash speculation isn't clear; but Doomguy doesn't qualify for both. This makes me think that the character can't be Doomguy.
You make a good point. Dante I think doesn't qualify for both either than too.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
Shantae is kinda unpopular in the Smash fanbase for whatever reason, at least in my experience cuz when I brought her up on a discord server I was met with hot glue, torches and pitchforks for some reason. :/ I'd love her, but I don't think it's her. Not for now at least.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Zippo? I'm pretty sure I know what they're talking about but, since they seemed really hesitant to elaborate, I'm going to respect that. If someone with insider info is uncomfortable talking about it out loud, it would be in poor taste for me to say "oh, this is what he was probably talking about." Talking with one of my contacts this morning, we agreed it would be better to let it slide and not put them on the spot. On his (?) end, I've heard great things about Zippo so I hope people are respecting that and not pestering them.

Last edited:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I hope it's Geno, but I think Geno might be the very last DLC character. Because some anonymous person on Tumblr told me that'd be the case. :p

D

Deleted member

Points to shantae being on Gameboy color, and only nintendo systems till ports of her later games. Plus shantae was in a warioware game and for awhile she seemed very tied to nintendo.
Outside of the less than 1% chance that Geno was going to be an upgraded spirit in this fighter pass, I don't quite see how any other spirit, such as Shantae, was gonna make it either, so I just don't consider them. Plus I don't see her coming with a hellfire background and a green outfit but I've never played transforming genie adventures so **** do I know.

Despite what all the talk about him may make you believe, Doom Guy isn't really "popular" in Smash speculation. In all of my years riding the hype/speculation train, I don't remember him ever really coming up, mostly due to the fact that Smash is a dumb baby game for poo poo diaper babies and mom wouldn't let us play gory **** like Doom regardless of the fact that it was on the Super Nintendo. I think the mild support he has garnered was birthed entirely from the 2016 reboot and the oft-alluded interview in which, "oh yeah", Bethesda talked to Nintendo about Smash.

Doom is a popular franchise, especially with older gamers (and by that I mean gamers even older than me), but I think very little of that popularity really transferred to the player character. I doubt he's the first thing longtime fans of the series think of when they think of their glory days with the game. That's just my opinion on the matter.

Droodle

Smash Lord
You make a good point. Dante I think doesn't qualify for both either than too.
Yeah, I've bought up the fact that Dante is more likely to be revealed in the second pass rather then the first.

If the background theory, and the moderators statements are correct; my guess is Adol. If not, my guess is Arle.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice

Would you mind sourcing that? Can't find it anywhere on the site.

Firox

Smash Master
Ok, I'm trying to catch up from yesterday and I've got only one question:

Who the feck is Zippo?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Morning from NY Geno brethren

Roughly this time tomorrow we'll be moments away from getting off the fighter pass ride.

I am still confident for Geno in playable form, and aside from one or two bad moments, I'd like to think I've been overall positive. But seeing as tomorrow has so much riding on it, I still find myself completely nerve wracked.

I'm in a bad head space, but I really appreciate you all so much. My small time in this community has been empowering and enriching. Bless you all and here's to tomorrow helping Geno along

Also, i missed hat fest and I'm photo editing illiterate. If it isnt too much trouble, I'd love to join the phenomenon. My humblest thanks. ;,^_^
I hope this is alright.
Mastadoom88Geno.png

No way, Wynn would be too broken.

Shantae is kinda unpopular in the Smash fanbase for whatever reason, at least in my experience cuz when I brought her up on a discord server I was met with hot glue, torches and pitchforks for some reason. :/ I'd love her, but I don't think it's her. Not for now at least.
I understand the pitchforks and torches, but "hot glue"? What does that mean? S-sounds lewd...

T2by4

Smash Lord

So it really is gonna be Arle, huh?
1577047385663.jpg

Droodle

Smash Lord
Outside of the less than 1% chance that Geno was going to be an upgraded spirit in this fighter pass, I don't quite see how any other spirit, such as Shantae, was gonna make it either, so I just don't consider them. Plus I don't see her coming with a hellfire background and a green outfit but I've never played transforming genie adventures so **** do I know.

Despite what all the talk about him may make you believe, Doom Guy isn't really "popular" in Smash speculation. In all of my years riding the hype/speculation train, I don't remember him ever really coming up, mostly due to the fact that Smash is a dumb baby game for poo poo diaper babies and mom wouldn't let us play gory **** like Doom regardless of the fact that it was on the Super Nintendo. I think the mild support he has garnered was birthed entirely from the 2016 reboot and the oft-alluded interview in which, "oh yeah", Bethesda talked to Nintendo about Smash.

Doom is a popular franchise, especially with older gamers (and by that I mean gamers even older than me), but I think very little of that popularity really transferred to the player character. I doubt he's the first thing longtime fans of the series think of when they think of their glory days with the game. That's just my opinion on the matter.
He may not be at the top of popularity in terms of Smash speculation; but Doom has definitely been decently discussed throughout the lifespan of Smash Ultimate. Far beyond the likes of say Crash Bandicoot, or Dark Souls.

If I was a mod who risks getting banned if I were wrong; I would definitely not use the word "unpopular" to describe Doomguy in terms of Smash speculation. Maybe in 4 or brawl; but definitely not now.

EDIT: I can't find the source of the statement, which is why I said apparently. Era has like 3 50 page+ threads discussing Smash right now; and I can't go through all of them.

My statement is based on the fact that a ton of the users there were talking about it last night.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Woah, woah, what?! Hold on a minute! Shantae is a very popular highly requested character in the Smash community and performed amazing in the Smash Ballot along with K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Shovel Knight. She might not be as popular here on Smashboards outside of her thread, but she has a lot of Smash fans on Youtube, Reddit, and so on. Though she does have quite a hater fanbase on Reddit as well.

I hope it's Geno, but I think Geno might be the very last DLC character. Because some anonymous person on Tumblr told me that'd be the case. :p
Please prepare a video ready for Geno's return because it's happening very soon my man. ;)

The real question why are we taking zippo for gospel

The both Nintendo and not Nintendo thing

That could be anybody
Because Sabi trusts him.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
She seems to get a lot of hate and l9ve.

Arle Nadja (from Puyo Puyo), Shantae, Travis Touchdown, and Geno could all fit Zippo's description.
Indeed, it could be them as well.

I am mostly basing my idea that originally, this was all the dlc we were gonna get, and i could see, as this is the ultimate smash, sakurai wanting to end on fan requested characters. Making them spirits to throw people off guessing them i can see happening as well. Shantae and geno not appearing as spirits would have been a huge red flag for dlc possibility.

I dont think that thumbnail means anything though. Sakurai atm seems to like the idea there is no idea, and wants it to be a hige surprise. So why ruin that with the background hinting it?

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman

I agree with you. The fact that this is coming out right now of all times and so many names are being pushed up out of nowhere when we were radio silence on insider info for a month smells like a misinformation problem. I don't want to kill the hopes of any character, but these speculation spikes are a red flag for me. Which comes to my theory of what's happening right now:
Zippo? I'm pretty sure I know what they're talking about but, since they seemed really hesitant to elaborate, I'm going to respect that. If someone with insider info is uncomfortable talking about it out loud, it would be in poor taste for me to say "oh, this is what he was probably talking about." Talking with one of my contacts this morning, we agreed it would be better to let it slide and not put them on spot. On his (?) end, I've heard great things about Zippo so I hope people are respecting that and not pestering them.
No need to answer this and don't want to put Zippo on the line as well, just want to put my two cents in: Based on all of the speculation talked about so far in this thread, we have a situation of "Right Info, Wrong Character", probably because we have two characters in testing right now that isn't 5. I think he's probably talking either about someone that isn't Fighter 5, possibly Purple Pie Man, Geno or somebody else, and they're probably going to be revealed in the presentation / next General Direct. And everyone is taking all of the info as related to 5, when it could be a mixture of 5, 6 and 7 together and they won't speak more on the matter because it could put them on the sight of the Nintendo Ninjas. That would also explain some of the name spikes that fit all of the information at the same time + random happenings, but aren't actually the ones coming to the game or are really far away from getting in.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Comrade Jeremy! Always an honor! What's shakin', Francis Bacon? Any major animation projects in the works?
Hello old chap!

It's been good! Hope you've been well. I'm finishing up Something About Iceborne now, meant to have it ready in December but I injured my hand and there were holidays :x but after that I got a lot of Nintendo parodies on my list. (;

Inching closer and closer to Something About SMRPG : P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom