• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Say, Fatmanonice, who do you think will be the next DLC fighters, and where among the next DLC fightes do you think Geno, if he is in, will be in? Also, while we are at it, any thoughts or hearing about Crash?
Can't outright say my thoughts on 5 given the proximity but my thoughts are that Geno's probably 7 at the earliest at this point. My feelings on Crash have been the same for ages: he's kind of layup for an E3 reveal at the earliest. I think him and a Capcom rep (either Dante or Phoenix) would be good picks for E3.

Mega_Mario_Man

Smash Cadet
I have just one query:

He suggested that there is going to be an announcement on par with Cadence of Hyrule but specifically mentioned it wasn't crossover related so it will be interesting to see how that pans out.
I don't suppose the actual Cadence of Hyrule update from a few days ago has anything to do with this?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Can't outright say my thoughts on 5 given the proximity but my thoughts are that Geno's probably 7 at the earliest at this point. My feelings on Crash have been the same for ages: he's kind of layup for an E3 reveal at the earliest. I think him and a Capcom rep (either Dante or Phoenix) would be good picks for E3.
I was asking what you were thinking of the next fighters rather than what you know, but eh, I did not count on you knowing what it is, though. Just wanted thoughts, not knowledge, and I wasn't aware you had knowledge (not trying to to be mean here, just saying). Still, I would like to know about Fighter 5 at a time that is not now. I would rather be surprised at the moment. So it is cool.

But anyway, I was just mainly wondering on your thoughts on Geno and Crash. I am surprised you seem to think the bandicoot is coming, even if it is a maybe or whatever. You sure they (including Geno) will come out later, though?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I have just one query:

I don't suppose the actual Cadence of Hyrule update from a few days ago has anything to do with this?
Nope. Probably a January Direct announcement given what it supposedly is which is why I wasn't like "lulz, this guy told me that (belch) would either be during the Nindies or the VGAs! Ain't that a knee slapper?" I've said it before but I would be a HUGE asshole if I spoiled that potential surprise so that's why I'm riding this log flume into January.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Nope. Probably a January Direct announcement given what it supposedly is which is why I wasn't like "lulz, this guy told me that (belch) would either be during the Nindies or the VGAs! Ain't that a knee slapper?" I've said it before but I would be a HUGE asshole if I spoiled that potential surprise so that's why I'm riding this log flume into January.[/QUOTE]

Do what you have to do. I would personally, as I said, like to be waiting for the surprise myself.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I have some thoughts to share...

What if...

Geno got into Smash?

Thank you, I'll be here all night.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
GameXplain has been very upfront about not having additional information at this point, and Jon specifically made a point to go on record saying he knows nothing and that people shouldn’t take him seriously as hinting at anything with his **** posts/otter posts.

I’m not keen to support conspiracy theories about GameXplain playing some advanced 4D chess with that much additional information. They certainly have a good relationship with Nintendo, and I have no doubt they get some stuff before the general public like all publications, but I really, really cannot justify believing anything beyond that. The only reason they would know anything additional would be that it’s actually coming very soon.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I mean, do consider it weird but I'm largely going off what I've heard in the last year. Nothing has ever come up for purely promotional characters in the insider circles I've been involved with. Doesn't mean it won't happen, I just doubt it. Again, people still LOL YOU ****IN' FRAAAAAAAUUUUUUUD me about being wrong with my own speculation on Hero so it's always been kind of take it or leave it.
I¨m not calling you a fraud or anything. I just find it odd that no one (you, you know who, Papageno, etc) hasn¨t not even brought it up once. It got even more eyebrow-raising for me when y'all started to act like Daisy in that celebration pic might mean something on that pic, yet no one question the odd handle of spirits that has occurred for months.

Oh well, I get to go to bed. Nice talking to ya

Last edited:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Hey ya'll! Was just cruisin' by and noticed all your awesome art!!
I tried imagining what Geno's grandparents would look like, if he had any.
1576982000413.png

puppet fambly.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
GameXplain has been very upfront about not having additional information at this point, and Jon specifically made a point to go on record saying he knows nothing and that people shouldn’t take him seriously as hinting at anything with his **** posts/otter posts.

I’m not keen to support conspiracy theories about GameXplain playing some advanced 4D chess with that much additional information. They certainly have a good relationship with Nintendo, and I have no doubt they get some stuff before the general public like all publications, but I really, really cannot justify believing anything beyond that. The only reason they would know anything additional would be that it’s actually coming very soon.
Well, then don't. Problem solved.

I¨m not calling you a fraud or anything. I just find it odd that no one (you, you know who, Papageno, etc) hasn¨t not even brought it up once. It got even more eyebrow-raising for me when y'all started to act like Daisy in that celebration pic might mean something on that pic, yet no one question the odd handle of spirits that has occurred for months.

Oh well, I get to go to bed. Nice talking to ya
I never believed Daisy meant anything. That was Papa and he just speculates like I do. We share a number of the same sources but not all. Still, there's disagreements all the time on this stuff so when we actually nod and agree on stuff I consider it pretty significant. On that note, Papageno's a good guy but I don't always agree with him.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So not been here in 70 pages i think, but i guess not much has changed? Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , you have been told who it is now, but not saying because you were told not to, or did i read that wrong? Just checking. Is it still what you said last week that its a third party that will deconfirm a popular one? And its not an indie?

Geno as 7th revealed at e3 most likely, numbers line up

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I was asking what you were thinking of the next fighters rather than what you know, but eh, I did not count on you knowing what it is, though. Just wanted thoughts, not knowledge, and I wasn't aware you had knowledge (not trying to to be mean here, just saying). Still, I would like to know about Fighter 5 at a time that is not now. I would rather be surprised at the moment. So it is cool.

But anyway, I was just mainly wondering on your thoughts on Geno and Crash. I am surprised you seem to think the bandicoot is coming, even if it is a maybe or whatever. You sure they (including Geno) will come out later, though?
Old-School-Nickelodeon-image-old-school-nickelodeon-36405596-500-354.jpg

Well, my thoughts on Geno will be coming in a big ass essay later this month since the character has been my numero uno for Smash since 2002 but, given I'm not super big into Crash, I'll explain why I think he's likely:

-Only one of two Western characters heard by insiders with the other being Geralt, a very obvious red herring or false information.

-Crash rumors first came out around E3. Banjo was supposedly negotiated around E3 2018 so the timing may actually be significant.

-Been requested since even before Melee and even had votes in the official poll that Nintendo of Japan ran after Smash 64.

-Activision has had a good relationship with Nintendo for a long time and has even done exclusive projects like the DK and Bowser Skylanders.

-Definitely an icon in his own right. Was literally a rival with Mario on par with Sonic at his peak. Despite not being a Sony exclusive in nearly two decades, is still considered by many to be a "Sony" mascot in the same vein that Banjo is now a "Microsoft" mascot.

-Crash's story is practically the same as Sonic's and definitely noteworthy in it's own right (former rival turned "friend.")

-Crash revival has been an overwhelming success and, unlike Banjo, is actually back to being relevant with modern audiences with extremely successful remasters to boot.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Nope. Probably a January Direct announcement given what it supposedly is which is why I wasn't like "lulz, this guy told me that (belch) would either be during the Nindies or the VGAs! Ain't that a knee slapper?" I've said it before but I would be a HUGE asshole if I spoiled that potential surprise so that's why I'm riding this log flume into January.
If it's a no show in January, we still gonna hop into the painmobile and give the smackdown on 'em?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So not been here in 70 pages i think, but i guess not much has changed? Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , you have been told who it is now, but not saying because you were told not to, or did i read that wrong? Just checking. Is it still what you said last week that its a third party that will deconfirm a popular one? And its not an indie?

Geno as 7th revealed at e3 most likely, numbers line up
Three different sources have more or less boiled things down to three names with one standing out that I personally think is the most likely. Per usual, I've been asked to not make the name public in the event that it's not just a rumor but an actual leak. These same people are also in agreement that 5 and 6 will be revealed in very close proximity if not the same presentation. One guessed the VGAs while the other two guessed the VGAs or a hypothetical January Direct. 6 is speculated to be a "bonus" ala Plant in that it will simply be a character with no stage or music to either end the Fighter's Pass or kick off Season 2. Also, yes, I do think that if my current speculation on 5 is right that 5 will potentially hard deconfirm a very popular character. As always, rumors, salt, death threats ain't cool, etc.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I’m just glad that 5 is gonna have a likely very quick turnaround, given that they’ll probably come out in January going by the Amiibo pattern. That does make me wonder if the announcement will be for someone on the obscure side given the short hype window though.

Also, happy birthday SonicMetaphor SonicMetaphor

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Three different sources have more or less boiled things down to three names with one standing out that I personally think is the most likely. Per usual, I've been asked to not make the name public in the event that it's not just a rumor but an actual leak. These same people are also in agreement that 5 and 6 will be revealed in very close proximity if not the same presentation. One guessed the VGAs while the other two guessed the VGAs or a hypothetical January Direct. 6 is speculated to be a "bonus" ala Plant in that it will simply be a character with no stage or music to either end the Fighter's Pass or kick off Season 2. Also, yes, I do think that if my current speculation on 5 is right that 5 will potentially hard deconfirm a very popular character. As always, rumors, salt, death threats ain't cool, etc.
Three names huh? I mean, I assume the one you think is most likely is Dragonborne, and the hypothetical "bonus" character is he who shall not be named, but I really have no clue who the third character could be.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Thanks for that catch up. I do see 5 and 6 being shown together, makes sense. To get people to get hyped for the next pass or however they are going to do it.

Death threats for smash info? Thats freaking sick and stupid of them. Grow up whoever is doing that.

I know you have been very pro geno, as have i, but i really want to know: has any indie characters been floating around from.sources? Not just shantae, but reimu, hallow knight/hornet, or others? I really think some indie character is coming. With how hard ninte do pushes indie i feel they feel an indie character deserves to be in

D

Deleted member

View attachment 254026

Well, my thoughts on Geno will be coming in a big ass essay later this month since the character has been my numero uno for Smash since 2002 but, given I'm not super big into Crash, I'll explain why I think he's likely:

-Only one of two Western characters heard by insiders with the other being Geralt, a very obvious red herring or false information.

-Crash rumors first came out around E3. Banjo was supposedly negotiated around E3 2018 so the timing may actually be significant.

-Been requested since even before Melee and even had votes in the official poll that Nintendo of Japan ran after Smash 64.

-Activision has had a good relationship with Nintendo for a long time and has even done exclusive projects like the DK and Bowser Skylanders.

-Definitely an icon in his own right. Was literally a rival with Mario on par with Sonic at his peak. Despite not being a Sony exclusive in nearly two decades, is still considered by many to be a "Sony" mascot in the same vein that Banjo is now a "Microsoft" mascot.

-Crash's story is practically the same as Sonic's and definitely noteworthy in it's own right (former rival turned "friend.")

-Crash revival has been an overwhelming success and, unlike Banjo, is actually back to being relevant with modern audiences with extremely successful remasters to boot.
What are your thoughts on the legitimacy of Sol Badguy and Nightmare?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
View attachment 254026

I see. Thank you for explaining it all, Fatmanonice.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What are your thoughts on the legitimacy of Sol Badguy and Nightmare?
Well... One of my recent contacts shared with me that Nightmare was supposedly one of the characters the developers pitched at Sakurai but was ultimately turned down. People have asked me how they got the information and I have no clue. The guy just knows stuff like Terry's spirit board and Banjo's Mii costumes somehow so I take his word for it.

Sol's weird. The rumors for Sol in Smash and Guilty Gear on Switch came out at the same time during the summer. In November, Guilty Gear was announced for the Switch but it's hard to say if that's the end of things. I say this because similar things have happened with other characters. For example, Gordon for Smash was tacked onto Half Life rumors that wound up being true. Same with Dante and multiple games that wound up being true. Geralt and the Witcher III on Switch is yet another example. Some of my contacts think Sol's still in the running, others don't and think he was a fake rumor tacked onto real info.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
My big three right now are Geno, Crash, and Sora. Gimmie those boi's and I'll never ask for anything again

Until I ask for Chell, Laharal, and Lara Croft that is

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Thanks for that catch up. I do see 5 and 6 being shown together, makes sense. To get people to get hyped for the next pass or however they are going to do it.

Death threats for smash info? Thats freaking sick and stupid of them. Grow up whoever is doing that.

I know you have been very pro geno, as have i, but i really want to know: has any indie characters been floating around from.sources? Not just shantae, but reimu, hallow knight/hornet, or others? I really think some indie character is coming. With how hard ninte do pushes indie i feel they feel an indie character deserves to be in
Like I've shared a number of times, no indie characters have ever come up in the insider circles I've interacted with. Recently, one of my contacts shared a sampling of eight names (probably out of dozens total) that the development team pitched at Sakurai for DLC but he turned down for one reason or another. Two of the supposedly turned down characters were indies but it was the first time I had heard about indies in any capacity, good or bad. That said, despite being a big Shantae fan, my confidence in indies is in the toilet but I'd like to be wrong on this.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Like I've shared a number of times, no indie characters have ever come up in the insider circles I've interacted with. Recently, one of my contacts shared a sampling of eight names (probably out of dozens total) that the development team pitched at Sakurai for DLC but he turned down for one reason or another. Two of the supposedly turned down characters were indies but it was the first time I had heard about indies in any capacity, good or bad. That said, despite being a big Shantae fan, my confidence in indies is in the toilet but I'd like to be wrong on this.
Man I'd love to be a fly on the wall to hear that mythical list when it was pitched

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Honestly at this point if Shovel Knight and Sans didn’t get in as playable characters I don’t really see any other indie characters getting in for SSBU even as dlc. Shantae is popular but I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say that Shovel Knight and Sans eclipse her and every other indie character (yeah Reimu as well) now in terms of sales and mainstream recognition. Shantae getting in would be a boon for spirits like our puppet but being realistic it seems like for whatever reason Sakurai and/or Nintendo just didn’t feel Indie reps should join the roster this time around. Maybe that’ll be a big selling point for the next game.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ah missed you sharing that. I do hope you are wrong in your confodance too as i really want shantae or any indie. I assume that means nome of your insiders heard about Reimu, which may hirt that still floating doujon leak.

Its odd Sakurai rejected indies or 2 indie names, for dlc, when he put 2 indies as a spirit and assost trophy. I wonder of he feels thats all indies deserve... which would suck.

I wonder why, or if we will ever find out, who was rejected and why.

Anyway, im excited to hear the next characters. Whoever it is i hope its a girl as yes just wanting a girl for girl sake is bad but there are many good female characters that earned their spot here.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Man I'd love to be a fly on the wall to hear that mythical list when it was pitched
It's not that great and, aside from Nightmare, there's like one other character on it that's particularly noteworthy and my source said they didn't want them revealed in the extremely low possibility that one actually beat the odds and actually did become somehow playable. Since Nightmare was made public a month and a half ago and Sakurai himself hard deconfirmed echoes for DLC, I'm okay with sharing Ms. Pac-Man and Gooigi. Another name that has a snowball's chance in hell of making it that's on there? Elec Man... Yeah... That's the kind of **** in this sampling of names but again, I was asked to not share the others.

(Sees people with faces smashed against the window en masse)

Fine... The two indies in the "lol, nope" pile aren't Quote, Shantae, Shovel Knight, Reimu, that dude from Hollow Knight, or Steve (who was already leakbait for Banjo anyways). Not really counting on indie characters anyways but there you go... Basically only one of the eight has a sizable fanbase and the rest are kind of... Weird. The fact that people are already screaming at me about it on Discord is miserably ironic because most people wouldn't give a **** about most of these names but I'm respecting the source's wishes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's not that great and, aside from Nightmare, there's like one other character on it that's particularly noteworthy and my source said they didn't want them revealed in the extremely low possibility that one actually beat the odds and actually did become somehow playable. Since Nightmare was made public a month and a half ago and Sakurai himself hard deconfirmed echoes for DLC, I'm okay with sharing Ms. Pac-Man and Gooigi. Another name that has a snowball's chance in hell of making it that's on there? Elec Man... Yeah... That's the kind of **** in this sampling of names but again, I was asked to not share the others.

Fine... The two indies in the "lol, nope" pile aren't Quote, Shantae, Shovel Knight, that dude from Hollow Knight, or Steve (who was already leakbait for Banjo anyways). Basically only one of the eight has a sizable fanbase and the rest are kind of... Weird. The fact that people are already screaming at me about it on Discord is miserably ironic because most people wouldn't give a **** about most of these names but I'm respecting the source's wishes.
I wish Ms. PAC man would be an echo.

Last edited by a moderator:

zferolie

Smash Hero

Fine... The two indies in the "lol, nope" pile aren't Quote, Shantae, Shovel Knight, that dude from Hollow Knight, or Steve (who was already leakbait for Banjo anyways). Basically only one of the eight has a sizable fanbase and the rest are kind of... Weird. The fact that people are already screaming at me about it on Discord is miserably ironic because most people wouldn't give a **** about most of these names but I'm respecting the source's wishes.
I still think it was a huge missed opportunity to not have Ms Pac Man as an echo in the bas game. She is a hugely iconic character and soldnmore then PacMan, and one of the first playable female characters in gaming. She could have very easily been an echo, heck even an alt skin, but nope.

Hmm i wonder what 2 indies it could have been if it wasnt those names. Candance? Reimu(or does japan not think of her as indie instead as doujin), travis(kinda indie)... blanking on other big name indies atm.

I am curious fatman, was there any talk of a retro nes character appearimg on base or dlc? This game didnt add any, and i always felt like sakurai liked adding those(game and watch, ice climbers, duck hunter, rob).

D

Deleted member

Fine... The two indies in the "lol, nope" pile aren't Quote, Shantae, Shovel Knight, Reimu, that dude from Hollow Knight, or Steve (who was already leakbait for Banjo anyways). Not really counting on indie characters anyways but there you go... Basically only one of the eight has a sizable fanbase and the rest are kind of... Weird. The fact that people are already screaming at me about it on Discord is miserably ironic because most people wouldn't give a **** about most of these names but I'm respecting the source's wishes.
Good thing Quote barely qualifies as "indie" anymore, huh...

zferolie

Smash Hero
Good thing Quote barely qualifies as "indie" anymore, huh...
Honestly i could say Shantae and Reimu are barely indie too anymore. Their companies are bigger now, especially Wayforward. Instill think of them as indie as they are their own smaller studios, even if bigger then others

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Recently, they've talked about Geno potentially being #5 which is an idea that even this thread has open mouthed laughed at since like August. No, what I mean is if someone, especially Jon, says something like "I think Kos-Mos is going to be 5" that's when I'm like:

View attachment 253993

This is why I'm also super incredulous that they're pushing Rex and Pyra extra hard for example because, given their super close relationship with Nintendo, flat out saying those things would be a leak and, when it comes to leakers, their ass is grass and Nintendo is the lawnmower.

Fatmanonice isn't this video of GameXplain's technically a leak since it had Ridley and Daisy both in it? This was uploaded a day or two before E3 of 2018 just within a VERY short timeframe before their reveals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom