• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Good for you. Good for us that Geno is both a Mario character that is one of the most unique as well as being third party, so Geno falls under your wants as well.

Hey mods, not only was Geno not mentioned and barely alluded to in this post, but this person came in specifically to this thread to say "I'd rather have any other character but the one you are supporting."

You wonder why some people get upset, and this is tame. Can you do something about this other than punishing those in the support thread?
That's what the report button is for. Don't bother feeding the trolls (for the lack of a better term - not sure how else to refer to someone who goes into a character support thread to say "this character shouldn't be in") - I've already warned the user for that post, and he'll either realize that going into a character support thread to say those sorts of things will only get him in trouble, or he'll continue to do that and get banned.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Ugh, he is even worse on the official SSF2 forums...
Anyways, back to our boi, if he was added, do you think he would be a good character competitively?

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I hope so. I was disapointed when K. Rool and Ridley turned out to be not very good competitvely.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I hope so. I was disapointed when K. Rool and Ridley turned out to be not very good competitvely.
Hasn't K. Rool won a few majors? I mean sure not many people are using him but it's like Maister and Game and Watch, all it takes is a few good players to make a character viable.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Hasn't K. Rool won a few majors? I mean sure not many people are using him but it's like Maister and Game and Watch, all it takes is a few good players to make a character viable.
Nah K Rool basically hasn’t done anything notable since the first month the game came out when no one knew how to fight him. Once people realized his weaknesses he’s been a bottom 5 character in the game.

That being said, Ultimate’s balance is pretty fantastic so even the worst characters are still viable to everyone who isn’t playing at the top level

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
except for little mac..
yeah he won't be viable until they fix down tilt

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
except for little mac..
yeah he won't be viable until they fix down tilt
Yeeeeeaaaah Little Mac is doomed. When you can't platform in a platform fighter, you're pretty much guaranteed to be one of the worst characters in the game, and nothing short of a win button is gonna be able to circumvent that (funnily enough KO Uppercut is essentially that, except he loses it if he's hit by any attack that deals knockback, so he can't really find chances to use it unless he gets a read or is lucky). He's the only character where I feel his problems are in his design, not his numbers.

The Little Mac mains in Elite Smash spamming his super armor smash attacks aren't doing him any favors either.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I had to do a double-take when I saw the image.

So, someone earlier posted the image of the SMRPG Japanese box art, and it has all the characters lined up. Interesting thing to note, Each character is accurate height-wise, relative to each other I mean.

Thus, Geno is TALLER than MARIO. He's actually the middle of the party, size-wise! Bowser is tallest, followed by Peach. Mallow is shortest followed by Mario. Geno is between all of them. Therefore, when translated into Ultimate's visuals, Geno wouldn't be this short, pudgy, stubby little fella. He's almost Luigi's height. The SMRPG style makes every character look pudgy, especially Mario. (I also recall another conversation where two fan renders of Geno were compared: Smashified and a second one, and someone said they preferred the non-Smashified one because the proportions were more accurate. But the truth is, he's taller than Mario so those proportions are technically not accurate.

So, it's amazing how close to his proper proportions the Gunner costume helped make him appear. Of course, the gunner hunches slightly, so it doesn't reach full height, whereas I'm certain Geno would stand tall.
I'm pretty sure I was the one who started that conversation lmao. Geno's height is so weird to me thinking about it. I figured he'd be just shorter than Mario since he's, you know, a doll and all. but as you said, it turns out it's the opposite. I even checked the character sprites and well, the same holds true there:

smrpg menu daisy.png

It doesn't help that his original render is at an angle, making him seem shorter than he is, at least to me.

geno render og.png

That said, even though it looks like he's consistently depicted as taller than at first glance (again, at least to me), I think I prefer stubbier looking Geno slightly more and I'm sure some people do too. If Sakurai wants to make him as accurately as possible, he'll go for something like in that image. Personally though, I think he should be around Megaman's height, that'd be spot on in my eyes. But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter, because it's GENO! GIMME GENO! :ultpacman:

Ugh, he is even worse on the official SSF2 forums...
Anyways, back to our boi, if he was added, do you think he would be a good character competitively?
I don't know much about competitive Smash past the basics BUT, I can see Geno's fast speed and projectile game being devastating, plus the timed hits mechanic could end up pretty busted, especially with Geno Whirl

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Alright let's talk Victory Poses

1. Just like the taunt everyone suggests, Geno folds his arms and nods as the camera zooms in

2. The seven stars orbit around Geno before moving behind him in an arch and he strikes a pose

3. Geno rises out of the pipe podium from the level up screen, and poses with his gun arm

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to chime in on that leak, and also giving my support for it and you Geno fans with something that I've thought in relation to it and why I feel it's not only real, but it's also lining up with Doomslayer being either the last fighter in the pack or a post-pass character.

Now, the Geno costume was more or less the catalyst for an influx of support that Geno's gotten in the last few years. You'll also notice Geno got a splash screen, unique to him and him only.

Now everyone thought Geno was coming back as a costume and then coming as a fighter thanks to the Grinch Leak. And neither happened. And then comes the leak with the Mallow Hat and Cacodemon Hat. Now why those two specifically? Wouldn't it make sense to show Geno's costume? And then I see the cacodemon hat. Why the cacodemon and Mallow together? Either this is an elaborate troll that's trying to play with people in a more detailed manner like the Grinch leak using those hats to sucker people into thinking Geno's coming or this could be a way to commemorate Geno and Doomslayer's inclusion in Smash Bros. Granted, it could be another character from Bethesda, but then, why the cacodemon specifically? Why not show off Doomslayer's costume unless it meant he was coming as a playable character? This isn't like the other companies' situation where you get Goemon and Akira costumes due to having stake in the roster; Bethesda would have to have a character coming if the cacodemon is anything to go by and if it's the cacodemon being presented as a costume, who else would go well with it other than either a Doomslayer costume or the Doomslayer himself?

This also applies for Geno, given Mallow's hat which we could have gotten in Smash Four or it just means we get a Geno costume and a Mallow hat as a bonus. Right?

Well, here's where that boggles me and why I think the leak is real: Other supposed insiders are denying it and modders have dug into Ultimate and tried to replicate it and all the results have been poor if not impossible due to how Mii hats work this time around. If this were a mod for Ultimate, it would mean someone has come to groundbreaking results for Ultimate modding. But then if it was a fake and someone admitted to it, they'd have to show their work. Every attempt to try to debunk it has only gotten far as to get the model in the preview screen, never an in-game match due to the game crashing if the costume's filesize is too high. So with that said, this could mean

-The leak is real and we're getting Geno and Doomslayer soon
-The leak is real, but we're getting Geno and Doomslayer costumes with Mallow and Cacodemon
-The leak is just modded footage of Ultimate and someone knows things others don't and won't share

Any of the above is possible. But then I consider that Super Mario RPG is available on the SNES Mini and Sakurai more or less has the rights to Geno and Mallow already via spirits, so why not go further and add Geno as a fighter now that the base game is out and situated? Square would also get a cut of the sales directly if the rumors are true about Cloud barely making it in due to their stinginess. I repeat, any of the above scenarios are possible but I feel that the first bullet is very likely. Doomslayer fits with Reggie's statement on characters you wouldn't imagine being in Smash and Doomslayer is from an IP more known in the west, said region getting a few bones with Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo.

Plus to me, this would be another vindication to another fan favorite going back over a decade and in this case, damn near two. I played Super Mario RPG and saw my godbrother play it on release and way before Smash was in my mainstream life, I played and loved the game and its visuals mainly and saw it as a unique RPG with a flare still not seen in Mario's world as of 2019. A time capsule showing Mario's ambitious beginnings in branching out of the platforming genre. Geno wasn't on my lists, but I understand and saw his support way back and know that he'd be a prime candidate for the DLC, if only to stand by the Ridley fans and in my case, the K. Rool/Banjo fans as finally putting to rest the argument of relevancy and other asinine arguments for why a character can't get in as a playable, Sakurai himself stating that a character's relevancy means nothing so long as they're fun to play, another possible hint perhaps?

Last thing to consider with that splash screen: It was shown right around the time Sakurai was composing his project plan for Ultimate. Perhaps this was his way of seeing Geno fans some type of way knowing Four was pretty much done and the Switch being around the corner and wanting to wait for another chance to get him in Smash as a playable character. With the base game done, wouldn't it make sense to try to push for Geno as a fighter instead of bringing back the costume if it got its own splash screen? It wouldn't have the same impact twice. If Mallow was shown in that leak as a hat, wouldn't that further prove Geno's chances to be ripe for the next or near-future reveal? Especially if the cacodemon hat was alongside it and not a Doomslayer gunner costume?

Short version: I stand by the leak and feel that he's likely to come alongside Doomslayer. Count me in as one of Geno's supporters.
The stars shine brightly this fine night.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Alright let's talk Victory Poses

1. Just like the taunt everyone suggests, Geno folds his arms and nods as the camera zooms in

2. The seven stars orbit around Geno before moving behind him in an arch and he strikes a pose

3. Geno rises out of the pipe podium from the level up screen, and poses with his gun arm
  1. Geno flips his cape (kind of like King K. Rool's victory animation) and folds his arms while nodding as the camera zooms in at an angle.
  2. Geno runs across the screen and does something akin to Mario's Triple Jump, landing and striking a pose.
  3. The Star Pieces orbit around Geno as he floats in the air with them. A pillar of light eclipses him before he lands on the ground as a doll, and his spirit form dances around it.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to chime in on that leak, and also giving my support for it and you Geno fans with something that I've thought in relation to it and why I feel it's not only real, but it's also lining up with Doomslayer being either the last fighter in the pack or a post-pass character.

Now, the Geno costume was more or less the catalyst for an influx of support that Geno's gotten in the last few years. You'll also notice Geno got a splash screen, unique to him and him only.

Now everyone thought Geno was coming back as a costume and then coming as a fighter thanks to the Grinch Leak. And neither happened. And then comes the leak with the Mallow Hat and Cacodemon Hat. Now why those two specifically? Wouldn't it make sense to show Geno's costume? And then I see the cacodemon hat. Why the cacodemon and Mallow together? Either this is an elaborate troll that's trying to play with people in a more detailed manner like the Grinch leak using those hats to sucker people into thinking Geno's coming or this could be a way to commemorate Geno and Doomslayer's inclusion in Smash Bros. Granted, it could be another character from Bethesda, but then, why the cacodemon specifically? Why not show off Doomslayer's costume unless it meant he was coming as a playable character? This isn't like the other companies' situation where you get Goemon and Akira costumes due to having stake in the roster; Bethesda would have to have a character coming if the cacodemon is anything to go by and if it's the cacodemon being presented as a costume, who else would go well with it other than either a Doomslayer costume or the Doomslayer himself?

This also applies for Geno, given Mallow's hat which we could have gotten in Smash Four or it just means we get a Geno costume and a Mallow hat as a bonus. Right?

Well, here's where that boggles me and why I think the leak is real: Other supposed insiders are denying it and modders have dug into Ultimate and tried to replicate it and all the results have been poor if not impossible due to how Mii hats work this time around. If this were a mod for Ultimate, it would mean someone has come to groundbreaking results for Ultimate modding. But then if it was a fake and someone admitted to it, they'd have to show their work. Every attempt to try to debunk it has only gotten far as to get the model in the preview screen, never an in-game match due to the game crashing if the costume's filesize is too high. So with that said, this could mean

-The leak is real, but we're getting Geno and Doomslayer costumes with Mallow and Cacodemon
-The leak is just modded footage of Ultimate and someone knows things others don't and won't share

Any of the above is possible. But then I consider that Super Mario RPG is available on the SNES Mini and Sakurai more or less has the rights to Geno and Mallow already via spirits, so why not go further and add Geno as a fighter now that the base game is out and situated? Square would also get a cut of the sales directly if the rumors are true about Cloud barely making it in due to their stinginess. I repeat, any of the above scenarios are possible but I feel that the first bullet is very likely. Doomslayer fits with Reggie's statement on characters you wouldn't imagine being in Smash and Doomslayer is from an IP more known in the west, said region getting a few bones with Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo.

Plus to me, this would be another vindication to another fan favorite going back over a decade and in this case, damn near two. I played Super Mario RPG and saw my godbrother play it on release and way before Smash was in my mainstream life, I played and loved the game and its visuals mainly and saw it as a unique RPG with a flare still not seen in Mario's world as of 2019. A time capsule showing Mario's ambitious beginnings in branching out of the platforming genre. Geno wasn't on my lists, but I understand and saw his support way back and know that he'd be a prime candidate for the DLC, if only to stand by the Ridley fans and in my case, the K. Rool/Banjo fans as finally putting to rest the argument of relevancy and other asinine arguments for why a character can't get in as a playable, Sakurai himself stating that a character's relevancy means nothing so long as they're fun to play, another possible hint perhaps?

Last thing to consider with that splash screen: It was shown right around the time Sakurai was composing his project plan for Ultimate. Perhaps this was his way of seeing Geno fans some type of way knowing Four was pretty much done and the Switch being around the corner and wanting to wait for another chance to get him in Smash as a playable character. With the base game done, wouldn't it make sense to try to push for Geno as a fighter instead of bringing back the costume if it got its own splash screen? It wouldn't have the same impact twice. If Mallow was shown in that leak as a hat, wouldn't that further prove Geno's chances to be ripe for the next or near-future reveal? Especially if the cacodemon hat was alongside it and not a Doomslayer gunner costume?

Short version: I stand by the leak and feel that he's likely to come alongside Doomslayer. Count me in as one of Geno's supporters.

Really interesting read. Another thing going for us is the mii list with mallow and smithy. Which could be added for your evidence for geno being playable over a mii. Plus even if mallowdemon is fake the mii list is looking stronger then even. So we are in a good spot right now.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

A damn good post, this! I have a point to add to this, but first I'd like to make a few corrections:
Well, here's where that boggles me and why I think the leak is real: Other supposed insiders are denying it and modders have dug into Ultimate and tried to replicate it and all the results have been poor if not impossible due to how Mii hats work this time around. If this were a mod for Ultimate, it would mean someone has come to groundbreaking results for Ultimate modding. But then if it was a fake and someone admitted to it, they'd have to show their work. Every attempt to try to debunk it has only gotten far as to get the model in the preview screen, never an in-game match due to the game crashing if the costume's filesize is too high.
First off, all we've really heard from insiders is that they simply haven't heard of anything regarding these. They haven't outright said they were fake, the just don't know. And second, there have been some working Mii hat mods in response to the CacoMallow post:
EJeB7xZWkAUWlUL.jpg:large.jpeg

The size issue is still a thing, but it's perfectly possible to make working Mii hat mods.

Anyways, I wanted to add to your initial point right here:
And then comes the leak with the Mallow Hat and Cacodemon Hat. Now why those two specifically? Wouldn't it make sense to show Geno's costume? And then I see the cacodemon hat. Why the cacodemon and Mallow together? Either this is an elaborate troll that's trying to play with people in a more detailed manner like the Grinch leak using those hats to sucker people into thinking Geno's coming or this could be a way to commemorate Geno and Doomslayer's inclusion in Smash Bros.
A lot of people tend to take for granted how much risk there is with this leaking thing, and how easily it is to be discovered, fired, and disemboweled by the Nintendo Ninjas, especially if you're leaking things yourself via 4chan. This is amplified even further if you're leaking particularly juicy info, as Stabby found out when he got CnD'd before he could leak the E3 Direct. If you're going so far as to leak stuff under Nintendo's round, moustache-clad nose, it helps to not also royally piss them off in the process.

This leads me to the CacoMallow post. A lot of people have been wondering why whoever leaked this (assuming it's real, which I think and will say for the sake of argument that it is) didn't go further and show off Geno, Doomguy, Dovakin, Terry (who hadn't been released at the time), etc., instead of just some Mii Costumes. Well, I think it's rather simple: He didn't need to. I believe that the Mallow and Cacodemon hats were chosen specifically because of their very unique quality of being able to both convey some really juicy info whilst also being plain enough and having just enough plausable deniability to minimize risk for the leaker and keep them off of Nintendo's radar.

The CacoMallow post appears very ho-hum as far as leaks go, especially compared to what we've got for Ultimate thus-far. All it shows is two fancy-looking hats and nothing else. I mean sure, one of the hats is from an american company not currently affiliated with Smash, but it still doesn't outright reveal anything else. On the surface, it's not all that bad. But dig a little deeper and get your noggin' joggin' a beat, and it's meaning becomes crystal clear. It's pretty obvious that this is hinting towards Doomguy (or any other Bethesda character) and Geno coming to Smash post-Fighter Pass. I mean, unless you had some other outcomes for Geno and Doomguy in mind (which have their own flaws in logic if you ask me), it's pretty hard not to see this as anything other than a hint.

Now you may be wondering "Well, Nintendo clearly aren't that dumb to overlook this post assuming it's real, so why didn't they just take it down?". Well, consider how the leak's been regarded with the community: Most people who've heard of the CacoMallow post have either dismissed it as a mere mod by some talented Artsi Omni-tier troll, or have completely forgotten about it. If that's the case, there's really no reason for Nintendo to waste time worrying or doing anything about it, since as far as most people are concerned it came and went like a fart in the wind. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Not that they really could do anything about it since any action on their part, such as flagging any videos showing the leak or talking about it, would be taken by most as a sign that it was legit, drawing unnecessary attention to it that they clearly don't want.

Furthermore, consider when the CacoMallow post first dropped. Consider what was also happening around that time. That's right, the Pokemon Sword & Shield Leaks. Compared to that whole kerfuffle the CacoMallow post seems like small potatoes, which would allow it to better pass by undetected. Of course, Nintendo can totally keep an eye on both situations, I'm not so dumb as to insinuate they can't walk and chew gum at the same time here, but I wouldn't doubt that something like that would certainly aid in the CacoMallow post slipping by relatively unknown. I'm also not saying that it was planned that way, either.

Either way, I believe that it's no accident that the CacoMallow post was presented in the way it is. Hell, I'd even go so far as to say it's downright ingenious. Forget slipping past the radar, it's practically hiding in plain sight. So unremarkable-looking that most will dismiss it, so clear that it's easily understood by it's recipients, but just sensitive enough to stay any action on Nintendo's part, meaning they can't do a damn thing about it lest they spoil the suprise. If this turns out to be legitimate, I think the CacoMallow post will go down in infamy as one of the best leaks in all of Smash. It's not very showy or dramatic, but at the end of the day posting potential Smash leaks isn't about being flashy, it's about sending a message.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Good points. I do know about that video and I do know that particular mod is from the slime hat, which has the jiggle feature the Mallow hat seems to have. The thing is, that hat looks very different from the leak's hat and the cacodemon's hat in your image so far hasn't been shown in-game, has it?

And on that point, I want to say that in terms of the person leaking that footage, I think that was Nintendo themselves who did it, just like I feel that the SNK copyright slip-up was also on their hands to deter any actual leakers. Remember how big that ESRB leak was, and the guy in question who got deported I think back to his home country. This time, I don't think Nintendo wants to take any chances, so why not do the dirty deed yourself and then keep mum on it to not draw suspicion? This is why I'm very skeptical and outright distrusting of these insiders; Terry came to them unexpectedly and it shut down a lot of speculation on their end.

I also feel that the sources they get are potential red herrings to deter actual information. Remember how Ryu Hayabusa and Chosen Undead were speculated prior to September? Notice how they're pretty much dead in the water for the most part? This is why I feel the Mii hat leak was done intentionally by Nintendo and why they haven't taken it down: They themselves are doing their own slip-ups to catch any would-be snakes in the grass and bust them on the spot. The fact that the Game Awards lacked Smash information also knocks a lot of the names mentioned for FP5 out the ring, even though Doomslayer would have fit nicely in that type of thing, but nonetheless. This is probably the one time I'm anticipated for the next Smash reveal rather than dreading it, only because the evidence continuously piles up and hasn't been disproven completely.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
One of the supposedly leaked Mii costumes is Smithy, right (not shown in the Caco-Mallow leak itself, but as part of a leak list that also includes those two costumes)? To be honest, how would a Smithy Mii costume even look? His design doesn't really look like it would lend itself well to a Mii costume... unless you were to base it on his second form...

... though in that case, I've no idea how you'd make that into a Mii costume without it looking... well, horrifying.

OffBi

Smash Ace
One of the supposedly leaked Mii costumes is Smithy, right (not shown in the Caco-Mallow leak itself, but as part of a leak list that also includes those two costumes)? To be honest, how would a Smithy Mii costume even look? His design doesn't really look like it would lend itself well to a Mii costume... unless you were to base it on his second form...

... though in that case, I've no idea how you'd make that into a Mii costume without it looking... well, horrifying.
Something like this
IMG_20191217_105926.jpg

D

Deleted member

You know, I went back to thinking about stages and considered something. When it came to speculation on the Splatoon stage, who exactly expected Moray Towers? I am bringing this up because while we are pretty confidant about them choosing something like the Forrest Maze or Bowers Keep, there is a chance that they will throw in a very leftfield stage.

So, what do you guys think would make for very good leftfield SMRPG stages?
I'm not really a huge Splatoon person, but where else would it have been? From my experience talking with people who are a bit more "into" Splatoon, Moray Towers isn't very popular (it's actually my favorite map), but it feels extremely iconic. It's one of several maps that has appeared in both games, and as far as being a Smash stage goes, it represents Splatoon well. The setting gives off the feeling of the games, and the design is very "territory control" based - more than tournament legal stages, there's a huge focus on maintaining a position on Moray Towers and taking advantage of it, because there are extremely disadvantageous positions.

This is one of the reasons that I don't lean Forest Maze. The music has become representative of Geno, yes, but the location is neither representative of Geno nor Super Mario RPG as a whole. If Geno is getting a stage to represent himself, it'd be Star Hill, Rose Town, or maybe Factory. Representing the game as a whole would either be the roof of Bowser's keep with Exor, or my personal favorite - a tour of the world with various stops along the way. Maybe with the Exor Roof stage, you could damage Exor enough to defeat him, and cause the stage to transition to the Factory for a while.

Firox

Smash Master
I still can't believe Geno actually got a Mii costume in Smash 4. I was a big supporter of Geno back in the Brawl days, and after seeing him miss that game and 4, I kinda of fell off. During the DLC run, and hearing about Cloud, I was in shock to see that Geno actually got to see the light of day again. That Mii Costume is a big reason as to why I am still a Geno supporter today. Wish he would have been playable, but the recognition then was very nice to see.
I'm right there with you. Not just in the disillusion of no Geno in Brawl and Sm4sh, but also in the surprise over the mii costume. To this day, it's important to note that Geno's mii costume was the only one I know of to ever get its own splash screen. That's a pretty big deal. It visually shows that Geno was teetering on the fence between playable and non-playable and that he's very much on Sakurai's radar despite how obscure some people think he is. To be honest, I feel this next round of DLC will really show where Geno stands, once and for all. Square-Enix's greatest franchises have already been represented, Cloud and Hero have already been added, and with literally nothing else we know of to stand in the way, Geno is either now or never. The fans have spoken, Sakurai has spoken, now it's time to turn dreams into reality.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
The only thing I'm scared of is the music, I don't know if Shimomura Yoko is the legal-owner of SMRPG tracks, I want Geno but comin' with only 2 songs is such a waste :C

Firox

Smash Master
The only thing I'm scared of is the music, I don't know if Shimomura Yoko is the legal-owner of SMRPG tracks, I want Geno but comin' with only 2 songs is such a waste :C
Hopefully Geno ends up more like Hero with at least 10 songs instead of Cloud's two. I still can't believe that's all we got from final fantasy.

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
So has anyone pointed out that the Geno Mii costume logo behind it is a smash logo, instead of a mushroom? I thought they generally had a series icon, could just mean MIIs but...maybe sakurai got the rights to SMRPG outright and Geno is a SMASH character? Probably reaching I know, but i just noticed the logo today.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
So has anyone pointed out that the Geno Mii costume logo behind it is a smash logo, instead of a mushroom? I thought they generally had a series icon, could just mean MIIs but...maybe sakurai got the rights to SMRPG outright and Geno is a SMASH character? Probably reaching I know, but i just noticed the logo today.
I feel like if that were the case, he'd be in the base game and not dlc. You don't buy a whole-ass character to just use a png

Firox

Smash Master
I mean, if Nintendo could get the rights for Geno to be a mii costume, why not a fighter? I have a hard time believing that there is a legal/rights reason why he couldn't be added as a playable fighter. If he doesn't make it in by the end of this DLC cycle, then I'll be convinced that either Nintendo, Sakurai or SE explicitly DOES NOT want him in the game.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am not entirely sure, but wasn't the Geno and Mallow spirits represented under the Mario series?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t recall mii costumes getting series icons ingame, and the spirit uses the mushroom logo. The trailer likely used the Smash logo because it was still a mii.

D

Deleted member

I am not entirely sure, but wasn't the Geno and Mallow spirits represented under the Mario series?
Yes, both Geno and Mallow have that dumb mushroom logo watermarked in the background of their spirits. It's very safe to say that if he gets put in as a character, he's coming with that logo.

I'm right there with you. Not just in the disillusion of no Geno in Brawl and Sm4sh, but also in the surprise over the mii costume. To this day, it's important to note that Geno's mii costume was the only one I know of to ever get its own splash screen. That's a pretty big deal. It visually shows that Geno was teetering on the fence between playable and non-playable and that he's very much on Sakurai's radar despite how obscure some people think he is. To be honest, I feel this next round of DLC will really show where Geno stands, once and for all. Square-Enix's greatest franchises have already been represented, Cloud and Hero have already been added, and with literally nothing else we know of to stand in the way, Geno is either now or never. The fans have spoken, Sakurai has spoken, now it's time to turn dreams into reality.
This is still my biggest problem, my biggest source of not believing in Geno's chances 100%. You give us a Mii costume for a beloved character that you later claim to have wanted to put into the game since Brawl, show him off next to Cloud, the most wild pick imaginable... and then he comes back in the next game as a PNG while Ridley and K. Rool and even Isabelle are in the base roster. Then you mix this with how Sakurai's comments regarding getting Dragon Quest content makes SquareEnix look like they're not hard at all to work with, and there probably wouldn't have been an issue getting Geno in as a base roster character at all. And then put the cherry on top - there's a possibility this was all the DLC we were getting, and chances are extremely high that Geno is not fighter 5.

Someone over in the discord said that Sakurai probably doesn't want Geno except for the fans' sake and honestly I believe it. I'm fairly certain interview Sakurai was full of ****, he doesn't think Geno's cool and he probably never once attempted to put Geno in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom