• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I just can't see Kos Mos being a game awards type of reveal. People thought Terry was a literal who, just wait until Kos Mos. Nobody will have a clue where she's from and she doesn't nearly have the history unlike terry.
The whole idea that #5 has to be a character that appeals to the Game Awards crowd is pretty faulty. When they were deciding who was going to be DLC they weren't thinking about what venue the character would be revealed at, if KOS-MOS is who they wanted they're not going to think twice about it just because she's not a Game Awards type of reveal, the content itself is more important than the moment. At most it might have influenced the order in which the characters were released, it's no coincidence that the two big shots of the Pass were both revealed at E3, but even then they might not have had full control over that given the complexities of dealing with so many licenses at the same time.

With that said, if it is KOS-MOS I could see them giving us a bit of information about the post-Pass DLC, Nintendo won't be blind to the fact that she's a rather obscure character, so for those not interested in her they'll give us something else to ponder. If we are to believe the 4chan leak, then it's obviously alluding to KOS-MOS being revealed alongside information that we're getting 4 more characters afterwards, which would at least give everyone something new to discuss.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
oh boy , what have I walked into, anyway good afternoon from the uk! im getting lunch what you guys wanting?
It feels like I'm getting sick, so I'll be eating medicine until TGA lmao

Outside of cameos, I think her last actual game was the early 2000's. Even Banjo's latest game was 2008 and most people consider his series "dead." Geno only manages to skirt crippling irony in this situation because Mario is definitely relevant and has never stopped being relevant.
Technically, her last and final appearance in the story was in 2006. This doesn't cancel the fact that people might not know her original games since they were available for PS2, but they will recognize her as a blade from Xenoblade 2. Despite my love for her, she wouldn't get a big hype reveal that matches Joker's from last year.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
"Important to Sakurai" part is debatable when being inspired by a game and working hard to get a character are two different things. We don't even know if Banjo was harder to get than other Western content, Cloud or Snake. I can see Sakurai's personal decisions affecting the choices but I'm reluctant to call it a theme.

I'll give you the crossover element but I don't think it was intentional and it can be applied to a huge number of characters (pretty much all third party fighters appeared in multiple crossovers). Funny enough, that would be in favor of KOS-MOS, given how many other games she appeared in.
Hey osby! I feel like i haven't seen your name in forever, so welcome back!

Also, unless Banjo was in a game I didn't know about, he TECHNICALLY first appeared is Diddy Kong Racing which only ties to DK via Diddy being a DK character. Even if all these characters existed in the DK universe, which is highly unlikely and more like a Rareware universe, Mario has multiple spinoff games where characters like Wario, Bowser and Waluigi come and hang out like nothing is wrong in non-canon events.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Might as well post this here as well. Remember this Game Awards leak from last year?

Just because a leak has some stuff correct doesn't mean everything in it is, it can easily miss things or be filled with bogus information.
Finally some common scene on this board.

D

Deleted member

Also, unless Banjo was in a game I didn't know about, he TECHNICALLY first appeared is Diddy Kong Racing which only ties to DK via Diddy being a DK character. Even if all these characters existed in the DK universe, which is highly unlikely and more like a Rareware universe, Mario has multiple spinoff games where characters like Wario, Bowser and Waluigi come and hang out like nothing is wrong in non-canon events.
But thanks to Deep Lore we know the only canon of Mario is actually the racing and the parties.

And the RPGs, of course.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

I like to imagine that Banjo and Conker canonically take place in the Mario universe because of that game lol. Means Geno and Banjo are technically from the same continuity.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Let me get this straight

Verge’s source KNOWS who the character is.

Verge’s source claims that no Namco Bandai character period is the 5th DLC.

Then when asked about KOSMOS Verge’s source “is unsure”? What the ****? What kind of logic is this?

How can you confidently deconfirm every single character within a company and then all the sudden not know if a certain character from said company is deconfirmed?

It’s not like it’s a confusing history either. A quick google search tells you that Bandai owns Kosmos. Or I could ask literally anyone in Discord

And also, since this source straight up KNOWS who the character is, it’s pretty hard to think of how you can give an “unsure” answer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Let me get this straight

Verge’s source KNOWS who the character is.

Verge’s source claims that no Namco Bandai character period is the 5th DLC.

Then when asked about KOSMOS Verge’s source “in unsure”? What the ****? What kind of logic is this?

How can you confidently deconfirm every single character within a company and then all the sudden not know if a certain character from said company is deconfirmed?

It’s not like it’s a confusing history either. A quick google search tells you that Bandai owns Kosmos. Or I could ask literally anyone in Discord
You make a good point, but there's one issue with this: we rarely know which source is giving information at any given time. If Verge and Sabi both have a source (maybe the same source) who knows beyond the shadow of a doubt who #5 is but isn't talking, they could easily be getting these deconfirms from another source who isn't 100% on #5.

But it is confusing for Vergeben to say Namco isn't in the running but then not be sure about KOS-MOS who apparently is a Namco character, unless I was right 500 pages ago and KOS-MOS is actually a Monolith character.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
You make a good point, but there's one issue with this: we rarely know which source is giving information at any given time. If Verge and Sabi both have a source (maybe the same source) who knows beyond the shadow of a doubt who #5 is but isn't talking, they could easily be getting these deconfirms from another source who isn't 100% on #5.

But it is confusing for Vergeben to say Namco isn't in the running but then not be sure about KOS-MOS who apparently is a Namco character, unless I was right 500 pages ago and KOS-MOS is actually a Monolith character.
You'd think that you would run all of your character requests by the source that actually knows who the character is. It's like you've got two mechanics, one who knows how to replace head gaskets, and one who has a middling idea of the process. Let's just go ahead and ask the second mechanic, shall we?

D

Deleted member

You'd think that you would run all of your character requests by the source that actually knows who the character is. It's like you've got two mechanics, one who knows how to replace head gaskets, and one who has a middling idea of the process. Let's just go ahead and ask the second mechanic, shall we?
If your source who 100% knows isn't talking then you're stuck going to a less knowledgeable source.

Of course, that just further illustrates the problem that both Vergeben and Sabi are just struggling for relevance at this point. Like I've said before, if you don't know and you can't provide meaningful answers, just say as much and move on with your life. Leaking isn't putting bread on the table (and is more likely to do the absolute opposite) so like just chill out.

****'s in 3 days.

Dynamic Worlok

If your source who 100% knows isn't talking then you're stuck going to a less knowledgeable source.

Of course, that just further illustrates the problem that both Vergeben and Sabi are just struggling for relevance at this point. Like I've said before, if you don't know and you can't provide meaningful answers, just say as much and move on with your life. Leaking isn't putting bread on the table (and is more likely to do the absolute opposite) so like just chill out.

****'s in 3 days.
If that's the case, then clarification is key. You absolutely must differentiate the info you get from the source who knows and the one who doesn't.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

****'s in 3 days.
THREE DAYS!

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I just caught up on the whole KOS-MOS thing and I have to say...what the **** is KOS-MOS?

So I know some Geno bros are getting mad about the Geno thread being the general thread now, but honestly when your character is over 20 years old and was only in one game...there is only so much to talk about after awhile. Honestly, we just end up having the same conversations and sometimes having new people join them, the only thing that gets us really talking about Gino is when something new shows up that may support him, which honestly doesn't happen very often.

With that in mind, much like how I got to speak with Dragon Quest fans taking a better idea on Dragon Quest, if there are any xenosaga fans out there to inform me on why KOS-MOS is cool and a big deal, I would appreciate it, as I've only heard of her via speculation l.

D

Deleted member

If that's the case, then clarification is key. You absolutely must differentiate the info you get from the source who knows and the one who doesn't.
I agree, and this is why people like PapaGenos are infinitely more useful than Sabi and Vergeben have been. It may be a safe assumption that Sabi and Vergeben are not at liberty to disclose which source they're getting information from. At first, one would think that as long as the sources are given non-identities (source A, source B, etc) there's no problem, but it can be argued that the information the sources know is identifiable. Even if that isn't the case, it's an excellent CYA for both Sabi and Vergeben.

D

Deleted member

Aaaand we have a Nintendo Indie showcase tomorrow at 1 PM EST.

It's never Smash... But damn it if the potential doesn't make me watch these things every time.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Guess I had a correct assumption but it's just for Indie World.
Ninja'd
I hope we can get another Nintendo and Indie crossover like Cadence of Hyrule. Maybe it is a little too soon for that, but you never know.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Might be wrong here but aren’t Indie Directs pretty consistently a week or two before an actual Nintendo one?

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
With that in mind, much like how I got to speak with Dragon Quest fans taking a better idea on Dragon Quest, if there are any xenosaga fans out there to inform me on why KOS-MOS is cool and a big deal, I would appreciate it, as I've only heard of her via speculation l.
Dumb TL;DR but she's basically an android with a huge arsenal of attacks (miniguns, swords, pistols, sabers, etc, etc) and has a personality of "being a robot": she defeats enemies because she was designed to and speaks in logic only. She was kinda unofficial Monolith mascot before they were bought by Nintendo and also easily the most recognizable Xeno character. Monolith still loves her a lot. I'm not getting into the spoiler territory because there are A LOT of spoilers about KOS-MOS existence.

Ok indie nintendo i sleep

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Would be cool if tomorrow they revealed some sort of indie RPG reminiscent of SMRPG’s gameplay.

Would be cool to see another RPG with the gimmicks of Geno’s game.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Might be wrong here but aren’t Indie Directs pretty consistently a week or two before an actual Nintendo one?
Sooooort of?

lol watch as we get nothing Smash at the VGA's and get it in a Direct or specialized Smash Direct instead

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
I just can't see Kos Mos being a game awards type of reveal. People thought Terry was a literal who, just wait until Kos Mos. Nobody will have a clue where she's from and she doesn't nearly have the history unlike terry.
I don't really agree with this. Smash tends to use all the hype characters towards the beginning of its advertisement cycle; and Smash is big enough (Ultimate outsold all the versions of SF2 combined for crying out loud, the World Warrior was Capcoms best selling game for over 20 years for reference!) that any character will cause a buzz.

The only reason I can't see Kos-Mos is because Rex Pyra and Mythra all exist and are more currently more relevant than Kos-mos.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The only reason I can't see Kos-Mos is because Rex Pyra and Mythra all exist and are more currently more relevant than Kos-mos.
Considering that Rex's Mii costume was included with the Fighters Pass as a bonus because Xenoblade Chronicles 2 came out too late to be considered for the Fighters Pass, I wouldn't think that the fifth character in that pass would be Rex/Pyra/Mythra.

Also, relevance doesn't seem to be an issue on its own, considering that we've gotten K. Rool (a character who hasn't been in a game in a little over a decade, and hadn't had a major role for even longer than that) and Banjo (who hasn't had a game in over a decade, and hasn't had a good game in about a decade and a half or two decades, depending on how you feel about the Game Boy Advance games) in Smash Ultimate alone.

If relevance was a major deciding factor, then Geno wouldn't stand a chance because there are more relevant Mario/Square-Enix characters, but we've already seen from this game's character reveals that it's not.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Sooooort of?

lol watch as we get nothing Smash at the VGA's and get it in a Direct or specialized Smash Direct instead
I would prefer that honestly. A VGA reveal wouldnt have much time to elaborate on anything new shown. I’m thinking they might give us a Direct date at the VGAs. The famous Nintendo announcement of an announcement

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Considering that Rex's Mii costume was included with the Fighters Pass as a bonus because Xenoblade Chronicles 2 came out too late to be considered for the Fighters Pass, I wouldn't think that the fifth character in that pass would be Rex/Pyra/Mythra.

Also, relevance doesn't seem to be an issue on its own, considering that we've gotten K. Rool (a character who hasn't been in a game in a little over a decade, and hadn't had a major role for even longer than that) and Banjo (who hasn't had a game in over a decade, and hasn't had a good game in about a decade and a half or two decades, depending on how you feel about the Game Boy Advance games) in Smash Ultimate alone.
Well too be fair, K.Rool and Banjo had significant fan demand going back to the Melee days and probably placed very high on the ballot that was used to craft ultimates roster. Kos-Mos... probably didn't, at least to the extent of those two.

Also, how can Vergeben's source be "unsure" of whether this character is Kos-mos? Either they know the character or they don't.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I would prefer that honestly. A VGA reveal wouldnt have much time to elaborate on anything new shown. I’m thinking they might give us a Direct date at the VGAs. The famous Nintendo announcement of an announcement
I agree. If we get a reveal with the VGA's, I'm thinking we'd only see a 1-2 minute reel for one character, tops. If we get a special direct, however, I'm betting we'd get at least two characters along with the fighter pass 2 announcement. Plus I wouldn't have to sit through a multi-hour snore fest just to see my reveal trailers.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
vergeben last week: My source says fighter 5 is not a namco character
vergeben today: My source says fighter 5 is the namco owned character, Kos-Mos

How is it not clear as day he's leading people on at this point, its been over a year since he was right.

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Would be cool if tomorrow they revealed some sort of indie RPG reminiscent of SMRPG’s gameplay.

Would be cool to see another RPG with the gimmicks of Geno’s game.
If you like stuff like timed hits and minigame battle gimmicks, there’s an indie game called Knuckle Sandwich coming out that has stuff like that.

Check it out if you’re interested, I’m a big fan of the gameplay :)

D

Deleted member

I agree. If we get a reveal with the VGA's, I'm thinking we'd only see a 1-2 minute reel for one character, tops. If we get a special direct, however, I'm betting we'd get at least two characters along with the fighter pass 2 announcement. Plus I wouldn't have to sit through a multi-hour snore fest just to see my reveal trailers.
Wouldn't it be nice if Nintendo would tell us if we should watch the VGAs? They were kind enough to tell us about Terry and that's their own video.

T2by4

Smash Lord

How is it not clear as day he's leading people on at this point, its been over a year since he was right.
He never said it was kos mos. He said his source doesnt know.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Alright so he said he asked about the 4chan leak and then his source said not sure so what if the leak is real but the KOS-MOS part was this person screwing with people. Like what happened with the Freeman stuff a little while ago. Could explain why the source is a little unsure.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

I forget the context of this, but I distinctly remember either verge or sabi saying that they don't trust leakers who are like "I don't know who the character is, but I know who it isn't" like, what the hell is up with that?

Firox

Smash Master

I honestly don't see how this fighter#5 business doesn't end badly for Vergeben. After deconfirming almost every known developer, company and character, I feel like the odds are highly in favor of him just being outright wrong. If he is, I should hope it's safe to say that the fanbase stops taking such hack leaker bile as gospel and starts relying on good ol' fashion logic and deduction to do speculation.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I forget the context of this, but I distinctly remember either verge or sabi saying that they don't trust leakers who are like "I don't know who the character is, but I know who it isn't" like, what the hell is up with that?
Well that's ironic.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Verge saying that the character is expressly not Bamco then going back on his word and saying "oh I dunno it could be KOS-MOS" is pure ****ing gold.
They realised that a constant presence gives them more attention and E-Cred. Sabi's Twitter bio promotes his discord as "The biggest video game news and speculation server on Discord". That's not the mark of a leaker, it's the mark of someone who wants to grow their online community, which runs completely against the M.O of, say, Shinobi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom