• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I just like the chaos. I think it's hilarious. Plus they chose that path. If they didn't drop hints, they wouldn't get any questions. What's the point of being an insider/leaker if you don't actually leak anything? You just turn into an internet LARPer.
In a way Sabi and Verge aren't the leakers. It's their source who leaks, they just dicatate what has been said back to us. That's why I keep saying it's kind of dumb to direct the anger back at them because they only say what they here, which is what we all want and why we keep listening to them.
I hold no resentment against Sabi and Verge. They’re probably working with what they’re told, I can understand and respect that. I’m simply unhappy with how they’re handling this situation, and I’m starting to doubt their credibility.
No, we're fed up with Sabi and Verge because they've been playing this BS wishy-washy game of Guess Who for a month rather than give us concrete info. Most people here would rather they went dark then gave us info sporadically than the current state of affairs.
The problem is they aren't being wish washy, this is their concrete info from their concrete sources. We hate it isn't just a name of a character but this is what they have been told. As for the community saying it rather be kept in the dark that's total bull **** and we all know that. If they weren't saying anything at all we'd be complaining about them not giving any info.

Last edited:

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Everyone is mentioning Kratos as Sony rep, but everyone is also forgetting my boy Spike/Kakeru from Ape Escape. Dude was in Playstation All-Stars and his franchise is celebrating its 20th anniversary :р

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Okay, so let's assume that these deconfirmations ARE in fact real:

Whoever this mystery character is, it's going to get a lot of backlash.

After all these deconfirmations, who are we getting? A nobody.
Backlash within the Smash bubble sure, but there's certainly people that aren't nobodies left.

Saber is from a multi-billion dollar franchise and the most tweeted about game in 2018 worldwide. Someone like her would absolutely be celebrated even if there'd be A LOT of people angry as well.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Thinking about it. This does seem intentional. What if it was to hide the Mii costumes leaking? This entire deconfirmation game started right after that leak came out. "Doomguy isn't 5 Geno isn't 5" and it all just spiraled from there into this mess
I could see this as a possibility. Putting on my tinfoil hat for a second, I think I can come up with a possible scenario for this that could explain what's happening.

Imagine you're an insider: You walk on a razor's edge between leaking insider information early and getting gangbanged all night by Nintendo Ninjas, and then this post (CacoMallow) comes out that, while it can be easily dismissed as a hoax by some, looks pretty legitimate and has nothing really going against it. So you go to confirm it with your source and he comes back and tells you basically "Yeah, it's real, and one of them is FP5". At this point you're ****ting yourself, because you know if you come out in support of it you risk getting hit from behind by the boys in black, but if you don't come out and talk about it, the people who follow your every word will turn on you.

So you decide to simply go "Ehh, maybe." on the post, but not only that, you then distract people with a large scale disconfirmation campaign to make extra sure that, by the time FP5 comes out people will have forgotten it. Of course, this has the unintentional side effect of you sounding like a Gurmpy Old Troll under the bridge giving riddles to little adventurous latinas, which leads to the people following you to get restless. This then begins to balloon out of control as thirsty Smash fans begin to press X to doubt, culminating in other public figures (Jon for example) getting sick of your ****.

Now I'm not at all saying this is how things went down or that I even believe that this is how it went down, all I'm trying to do is try to look at things from a different perspective.
SIGHHH what a turn of events.
DoomGuy and Geno for TGA. calling it. thats it. lol xD
As awesome as that'd be, I really doubt that'd happen. Double reveals are usually reserved for massive events like E3, not TGAs. Sure, it's a big venue, but it's nowhere as celestially epik as E3 is, and has more of a lean towards western companies anyways. I still think we're most likely getting a character reveal at TGAs, though.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Tell you what, with all this buildup, Number Five is gonna have a good deal of backlash unless it's, like, Kratos or Master Chief.
5 was always doomed from the start. 5 was going to get massive backlash unless it was literally a world shattering iconic character like Master Chief (as it would be as thought as impossible), and the amount of characters on that level are few and far between. It would have to be Sonic level of crazy hope and star power. Coupled with Smash always ending a roster on a whimper compared to their start and middle and how easily instigated the Smash fanbase is on a drop of a hat, 5 was looking to most likely and sadly be deemed a failure outside of maybe 4 or 6 characters options.

And this attitude we see now is AFTER we found out that there's more DLC. Speculation would have been FAR uglier now if 5 was the actual end.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Everyone is mentioning Kratos as Sony rep, but everyone is also forgetting my boy Spike/Kakeru from Ape Escape. Dude was in Playstation All-Stars and his franchise is celebrating its 20th anniversary :р
But can he spam "BOY!" with his taunts?

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
It's not a jealousy thing but how many times have you seen GameXplain do this in the past and humor leaks? I think Jon is looking for more clout with this situation. Considering he gets monetization from this kind of stuff, he is the last guy into this situation I would really want to side with.

But I just want Geno so I've been wanting to put FP5 behind us since day one and just be hopeful for post pass.
Like I said before, if this were about making money off the situation, he’d cover the deconfirmations in a video. He’s not going to make a dime off of Twitter drama.

Calling Jon out for clout chasing because he complained about Sabi and Verge piggybacking on his own speculation is priceless though.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
It's not a jealousy thing but how many times have you seen GameXplain do this in the past and humor leaks? I think Jon is looking for more clout with this situation. Considering he gets monetization from this kind of stuff, he is the last guy into this situation I would really want to side with.
This is a shameful and idiotic conspiracy theory.

D

Deleted member

In a way Sabi and Verge aren't the leakers. It's their source who leaks, they just dicatate what has been said back to us. That's why I keep saying it's kind of dumb to direct the anger back at them because they only say what they here, which is what we all want and why we keep listening to them.

The problem is they aren't being wish washy, this is their concrete info from their concrete sources. We hate it isn't just a name of a character but this is what they have been told. As for the community saying it rather be kept in the dark that's total bull **** and we all know that. If they weren't saying anything at all we'd be complaining about them not giving any info.
No, they're doing the definition of being wishy-washy, and it really is coming close to just being clickbait. I said it a while back but I'd understand if Sabi was getting paid by the Tweet but there's no sense in this otherwise.

If you're getting conflicting information, just don't post. If you're getting non-concrete information, just don't post. If you're afraid your life's in danger for posting the truth without padding it with 6000 pounds of bull****, just. don't. post.

Instead, we have two people who know a lot of folks hang on their every word and they're gonna get upboats and likes and retweets for dropping hints and making suggestions and still having a CYA line in there to maintain their credibility when they flip over the wrong tarot card.

If I had a source on the inside feeding me this stuff, I'd get him to either tell me if it's written in stone or if there's a chance it's bull, and if it is, I wouldn't talk about it. If he told me something was the gospel and it turned out to be fake enough times, I'd just cut the line and stop with the insider game. It's that simple. This is what people are angry about.

There is, but it also sounds very 4D chess-like, so I definitely won't bet on it lol. I wouldn't be surprised if something like that did happen while simultaneously doubting it.

That said, Jon vs. Sabi/Verge? My bets are on Jon, especially with the uncertainty of Verge and the wishy-washiness of Sabi. Where's the popcorn?!
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice is gonna need to confirm or deny if I understood this right, but the NOA source already let the "group of 10" know that Nintendo had to deal with the Grinch Leak in a way that can be considered to be 4D chess already. It was bad 4D chess, because they didn't let it fall into obscurity, and instead bolstered confidence in it by having their lapdog GameXplain not cover it instead of going into another near hour long podcast about how it shows some signs of being legitimate.

The idea that Nintendo can't into 4D chess is erroneous, so the question is, can they learn to play 4D chess well? I think they can, and I think they already have. With how DLC leaks have been, I'd say that somewhere between the base roster and Joker, Nintendo found all the people who were breaking their contracts and got rid of them, no questions asked. There's obviously a small handful of people still willing to talk, so are they next on the chopping block? Or are they talking out of their ass to discredit two of the biggest names in leaking?

It's not a hard game to just tell lies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't hold any investment in 5, especially with almost every video game company being ruled out at this point, so I'm not attached too much to this guessing game and instead I'm just taking it casually. I'm not biting my nails in anticipation or concern, outside of having the Mii costumes in the back of my mind. It's more relaxing, more being an outsider looking in than stuck in the circle of chaos.

I'm more interested in post pass, mainly because it has no nailed down rules yet so speculation and hopefuls are more fresh and interesting.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I can't believe today's snap brought us back to considering iPhone characters again. I would have hoped the jonsey stuff would have proven financial success does not = a positive reception to making one of them a smash character from the installbase but here we are. I can only wonder what's next but this morning's deconfirmation completely pulled the rug from under that one so I'm going to just enjoy the rest if the ride.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
anyone else having trouble with Discord? Is it down again? Did this smash leaker drama cause it?

T2by4

Smash Lord
I can't believe today's snap brought us back to considering iPhone characters again. I would have hoped the jonsey stuff would have proven financial success does not = a positive reception to making one of them a smash character from the installbase but here we are. I can only wonder what's next but this morning's deconfirmation completely pulled the rug from under that one so I'm going to just enjoy the rest if the ride.
>iphone characters

No.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
The thread is moving lightning fast today, it’s kind of crazy.
Oh how I missed you, intense speculation. You know how to make my weekends a lot more interesting.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Wow, I can’t believe that Fighter 5 is Mavis Beacon from Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing.

In all seriousness, I am glad that people are getting called out. All of this is just so annoying to hear about, like somebody new is disconfirmed each day. My patience isn’t what it used to be with speculation. 5 days out and we still have no clue and I hope it stays that way.

Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not on Jon’s side at all especially because of his normal behavior. He always seems really cocky about the fact that he’s privy to insider info and sneaks it into GameXplain stuff all the time which is frustrating. Then he walks it back and is like “I know nothing guys ;)”. Yeah right. Spare us your third rate theatrics and tell us straight up if you want to be a leaker. The “holier-than-thou” schtick can only last for so long.

But yeah, thinking I’m gonna duck out of Smash Speculation pretty soon here. I don’t get how so many can keep it up. Plus, I’m a sucker for a surprise reveal. Gotta keep the mystery alive, right?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Okay how many people believe the character won't be a person that was debunked and how many people think it will be someone from the list anyways?

D

Deleted member

Okay how many people believe the character won't be a person that was debunked and how many people think it will be someone from the list anyways?
I am honestly indifferent.

I’ll just wait and see what happens and not take sides as I did with Grinch back in the day.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I hope this doesn't turn into another Smash fanbase vs insider thing like last year's debacle. That was aggravating. And this week has not been good for insider's PR.

I think everyone needs to chill out and step back a bit. In general, not directed to here, no need to attack insiders or fans. It's hard to respond to various attitudes because the start of it gets muddled, ie, you get annoyed at an insider acting jerky, but they are because they get annoyed that a fanbase was giving them attitude because they're frustrated over an insider's crypticness which they have to do because a fanbase spreads their words like gospel after the insider gets pestered with a billion already answered questions, etc. Its a crazy cycle and easy to generalize, discouraging those who aren't being annoying but still get the criticism.

In a shout-out, thanks to Nazyrus with their input and discussion and answering questions. As well as Polar when they stop by to clear stuff up.

Anyway, all insiders are dumb, all Smash fans are dumb and I and only I alone is wright about everything because shut up. Sorry folks, just science.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
No, they're doing the definition of being wishy-washy, and it really is coming close to just being clickbait.
How? It would only be wish washy if they were like yeah Sora may be out but that's only from one source there's still a chance he could be in just mabye think it's possibly not him probably, instead of "yeah X is out for 5." A solid deconfirmation is just as solid as a concrete confirmation.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
'Afternoon, peeps! Today was not only Smash Ultimate's anniversary, but also my cousin's, which is why I couldn't log in earlier. Crazy to think it's been a whole year, huh? Here's to several more! Regardless if there'll be more DLC or nah (which I believe there will), I'm sure I'll be playing the game for ages at least, it's that good.

And on another note, I got to play Kirby's Return to Dream Land for a while with my cousin and a couple other relatives during her party, good times. And as you all know, Sakurai is my uncle, he specifically scheduled Ultimate's release to coincide with my cousin's birthday and I actually asked him to make Bandana Dee the 5th fighter today because I love the little fella. Yep, you heard it here first folks, spread the word.

bandana dee game awards.png

Glorious; Waluigi breaking the "Assist Trophies can't be promoted to fighters" rule, Geno breaking the "Spirits kind'a deconfirm characters" (or at least clears out that doubt), and... *looks both ways* ... Goemon breaks the "Mii costumes also kind'a deconfirm characters" (again, would clear up that doubt).
Krystal
Dixie Kong
Pig Ganon (But the ALTTP version with the trident.)
Zero
Tron Bonne
Shantae
Skull Kid
Elma
Mach Rider
Wart
Ayumi Tachibana
Medusa

And I think I'll stop there. There are few other characters I would like to see get promoted for the sake of seeing their fanbases happy like Issac, Bandana Dee, Waluigi, and Ashley.
Highlighted are the characters who weren't on my radar but I might add now. Thanks for the suggestions!

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I think if FP5 is actually a character that hasn’t been deconfirmed and maybe doesn’t have a huge backing I don’t think there’ll be that much blowback from fans. Maybe if Nintendo hadn’t announced/wasn’t at all doing a second wave of dlc sure because people would look at this as their one chance to get whichever character they wanted in. But at this point most reasonable people are able to stand back and figure that just because their pick isn’t FP5 doesn’t mean they’re out of the running for future dlc. The only people that’d legit get mad at a FP5 announcement are those whose characters would take a blow because of whatever character is announced or people with the patience of a 3 year old.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
In the end, Nintendo miscounted and Plant was really character 1. Terry actually ended the pass.

ReggieShrug.png

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
My current stance
Who I think it is: One of the deconfirmed boys, and everyone including insiders got bamboozled
Who I want it to be: Sora, I still believe despite everything
Who I think it is if Deconfirmations are to be believed: Honestly maybe a Valve rep like Chell or Heavy; I'm at a loss, anything can happen
Wild Card "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?" Pick: To everyone's surprise, FNAF comes out of literally nowhere and snatches the Indie Rep spot

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Every proclaimed deconfirm character right now:

I think FP5 is just Terry again and the presentation or Direct will be Sakurai talking about SNK for 2 hours instead of just 40 minutes this time lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom