• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Gonna be honest, part of the reason I would be okay with him in(Beyond music and the style he has) is because I really like watching Maximillian Dood and I know he loves Guilty Gear a ton. I can only imagine the sheer joy he would have with such a reveal. Anyone else here watch him?
I love Max's content, and he would get so dang hype at a Sol announce I'd love to see it just for that

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh man I love Max’s videos. After Cloud, Mega Man, and Terry I wonder if his heart could take Sol...

Or Nightmare now that I think about it, he loves Soul Calibur too
That is also why I was more than fine with Nightmare. He may not get Sub-Zero(The character he has constantly voiced his desire for), but I am sure he would be over the moon with Nightmare or Sol.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Gonna be honest, part of the reason I would be okay with him in(Beyond music and the style he has) is because I really like watching Maximillian Dood and I know he loves Guilty Gear a ton. I can only imagine the sheer joy he would have with such a reveal. Anyone else here watch him?
I've been around since the original Online Warrior days of vanilla Marvel 3 and the Assist Me series. I think he is the channel I've watched the most. I've spent a long time watching him and even though he's changed a bit and I don't agree with him on everything, his love for fighting games holds true.

Still miss his old Hype and Rage videos though.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So, I normally don't have much good to say about traditional fighters, but Guilty Gear is one that I really would try to get into if we had a more active scene for it around here. It's got a great style and a really diverse cast of characters, in terms of gameplay. It's in the same boat as Skullgirls with me in terms of coming at a high recommendation despite the fact that I'm laughably bad at both.
Wait. You like...SkullGirls?

*Unstable Catalyst begins to crack, breathes in deep to hold it in*

I've been following SkullGirls since it's inception. I love everything about it, even gushing about it on the Shoryuken forums back in the day.

Who's your favorite character?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
That is also why I was more than fine with Nightmare. He may not get Sub-Zero(The character he has constantly voiced his desire for), but I am sure he would be over the moon with Nightmare or Sol.
Yeah given that Mortal Kombat is outright banned in Japan I’d say Sub’s chances are about Absolute Zero (pun intended), but luckily there are other great fighting series to represent.

D

Deleted member

Nightmare seems like he’d be a heavyweight with lots of hack and slash attacks but also some close ranged moves. Really cool character.

Would be more then fine if he got in for Soul Caliber.

And Bandai Namco deserves another character being they help make Smash 3DS/Wii U and Ultimate. Plus their a cool company so yeah.

D

Deleted member

Wait. You like...SkullGirls?

*Unstable Catalyst begins to crack, breathes in deep to hold it in*

I've been following SkullGirls since it's inception. I love everything about it, even gushing about it on the Shoryuken forums back in the day.

Who's your favorite character?
I play Big Band and Peacock. Never found a third character that really meshed with me, so I can't really round out a three person team. It's been a long time since I've touched the game, probably over a year at this point.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Nightmare seems like he’d be a heavyweight with lots of hack and slash attacks but also some close ranged moves. Really cool character.

Would be more then fine if he got in for Soul Caliber.

And Bandai Namco deserves another character being they help make Smash 3DS/Wii U and Ultimate. Plus their a cool company so yeah.

????????????? ????????????? made a great moveset conspect video for Nightmare:

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Anyone knows how to put a picture in the signature that link to another thread ? That's for putting a link for the Arthur support thread ^.^

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Man, I lurk the Geno thread to see cool theories and low tier memes, not to see pictures of Sol and get painfully thirsty.
The Geno thread dabbles in a variety of topics, some of which involves very masculine men.

You get used to it.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I play Big Band and Peacock. Never found a third character that really meshed with me, so I can't really round out a three person team. It's been a long time since I've touched the game, probably over a year at this point.
Big Band and Peacock, I see you're a man of culture as well

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Because the Fighter's Pass was originally going to be it and the series was probably going to take a long hiatus. #5 would have been the last Smash character for basically an ongoing project that has technically been going on almost a decade. That's a big deal. That's a very big deal. Like Sakurai has said, he has strong doubts that he'll ever be able to top this game and it comes off as a Magnum Opus. I said this on the Papageno's Discord but Soul Caliber is basically Namco's Smash. It has had absolutely crazy guests from Link to Kratos to Ezio to DARTH VADER and YODA. Star Wars is worth 65 BILLION, with a hard B, dollars. The entire Mario series? 36 billion. I mean... That's an enormous deal. Like I keep saying, I don't think people fully grasp the full significance of how big of a deal this would be given it would literally be the merging of the two biggest crossover franchises in gaming.
Should we really be bringing up how much popular media franchises gross when THE king is already well-represented in Smash?

And everything else seems more circumstantial than anything. Does the personal supersede the external as far as crossover heights go? That isn't something any of us can know without deep diving into Sakurai's brain. He can still see it as his magnum opus with characters that aren't perceived to be as big a deal. As a celebration of gaming, but also a love letter to what the public sees as the little guy. I mean characters like Banjo kind of go against this thought process in general imo.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I've been around since the original Online Warrior days of vanilla Marvel 3 and the Assist Me series. I think he is the channel I've watched the most. I've spent a long time watching him and even though he's changed a bit and I don't agree with him on everything, his love for fighting games holds true.

Still miss his old Hype and Rage videos though.
I've watched Max since his Soul Calibur 5 Online Warrior videos (i believe I subscribed to him just after episode 3), and have probably watched him more than any other channel as well. I know he'd by psyched for Sol, even though his favorite character in GG is Baiken. Siegfried, and by extension Nightmare, is actually one of his favorite game characters of all time. So I think he'd be more elated to see Nightmare join Smash than Sol. He already thinks Smash is one of the greatest video games of all time (and that continues to top itself overtime since he's greatly enjoyed a lot of the Smash additions since Mega Man) and the reason he thinks Smash is so is merely because of the character roster alone.

In his mind, and in mine as I agree, characters make the fighting game. If the roster is incredible (balanced out with solid and fun gameplay) then the game is worth more than what is charged for it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I've watched Max since his Soul Calibur 5 Online Warrior videos (i believe I subscribed to him just after episode 3), and have probably watched him more than any other channel as well. I know he'd by psyched for Sol, even though his favorite character in GG is Baiken. Siegfried, and by extension Nightmare, is actually one of his favorite game characters of all time. So I think he'd be more elated to see Nightmare join Smash than Sol. He already thinks Smash is one of the greatest video games of all time (and that continues to top itself overtime since he's greatly enjoyed a lot of the Smash additions since Mega Man) and the reason he thinks Smash is so is merely because of the character roster alone.

In his mind, and in mine as I agree, characters make the fighting game. If the roster is incredible (balanced out with solid and fun gameplay) then the game is worth more than what is charged for it.
I thought I recall hearing the Siegfried/Nightmare was one of his favorite characters. Thing is, I also recall him liking the Guilty Gear series on a similar level to the MvC games. The former may satisfy him on a character basis, but he would probably be blown away by what Smash could do for Guilty Gear.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I have returned as Snake...but now I am holding an apple pie (Thank you Franco Geno Franco Geno )!

I was away for a bit and something hit me about Nightmare being number 5. Get ready for a reveal trailer idea!

Alright, we are obviously getting something at the VGA's...but what if it is more than just Nightmare. For this to make sense we need to understand WHAT Nightmare is. The Soul Edge (his weapons) devours souls to gain power. In Smash Bros Ultimate we have these things called 'Spirits' Hopefully you see where I am going with this...without further ado.

*Black screen with swords clashing in the background* We see Link, Hero and Marth fighting. As the fight draws on, we hear a voice overlap the fighters. "This is a tale of swords..." We see Hero emerging as the victor and starts to walk towards something in the distance. We see a giant sword embedded into the ground, Hero draws his sword to strike it...but the eye on the blade opens wide and the voice returns "and Souls..." Dark miasma pours out of the blade, blinding Hero. In an instant, we see a figure dart towards Hero and clashes blades with him. Another voice calls out

"Show me the madness that lies within!" Nightmare calls to battle! We see a bit of gameplay. You thought we were done!?

After the Smash Ultimate logo appears, we are treated to Nightmare standing over Hero. "I need more souls!" A Spirit comes out of Hero and gets absorbed into Soul Edge. A second passes and the eye on the blade dilates and zooms in.

We see Nightmare in a dark void and behind him we hear fire crackling. As he turns to see what it is...it is the burning Smash Logo (from Inkling's) and again...we see 5 silhouettes. One of them is more clear than the others. "What are you?" Nightmare questions.

"I serve...a Higher Authority!" Geno Awakens!

domriver

Smash Lord
So till they right out deconfirm it . Its either going to be Nightmare or Sol for DLC 5. I love the Soul Caliber series - Nightmare is pretty good character also Ivy :>

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Should we really be bringing up how much popular media franchises gross when THE king is already well-represented in Smash?

And everything else seems more circumstantial than anything. Does the personal supersede the external as far as crossover heights go? That isn't something any of us can know without deep diving into Sakurai's brain. He can still see it as his magnum opus with characters that aren't perceived to be as big a deal. As a celebration of gaming, but also a love letter to what the public sees as the little guy. I mean characters like Banjo kind of go against this thought process in general imo.
Right, yes, but that's why this is speculation and why it's totally okay if I'm wrong. Yes, of course, there are factors that are impossible for me to know like Sakurai's inner thoughts but that's kind of why I'm tinkering with what's tangible and knowable and trying to more or less make educated guesses on these things.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I have returned as Snake...but now I am holding an apple pie (Thank you Franco Geno Franco Geno )!

I was away for a bit and something hit me about Nightmare being number 5. Get ready for a reveal trailer idea!

Alright, we are obviously getting something at the VGA's...but what if it is more than just Nightmare. For this to make sense we need to understand WHAT Nightmare is. The Soul Edge (his weapons) devours souls to gain power. In Smash Bros Ultimate we have these things called 'Spirits' Hopefully you see where I am going with this...without further ado.

*Black screen with swords clashing in the background* We see Link, Hero and Marth fighting. As the fight draws on, we hear a voice overlap the fighters. "This is a tale of swords..." We see Hero emerging as the victor and starts to walk towards something in the distance. We see a giant sword embedded into the ground, Hero draws his sword to strike it...but the eye on the blade opens wide and the voice returns "and Souls..." Dark miasma pours out of the blade, blinding Hero. In an instant, we see a figure dart towards Hero and clashes blades with him. Another voice calls out

"Show me the madness that lies within!" Nightmare calls to battle! We see a bit of gameplay. You thought we were done!?

After the Smash Ultimate logo appears, we are treated to Nightmare standing over Hero. "I need more souls!" A Spirit comes out of Hero and gets absorbed into Soul Edge. A second passes and the eye on the blade dilates and zooms in.

We see Nightmare in a dark void and behind him we hear fire crackling. As he turns to see what it is...it is the burning Smash Logo (from Inkling's) and again...we see 5 silhouettes. One of them is more clear than the others. "What are you?" Nightmare questions.

"I serve...a Higher Authority!" Geno Awakens!
(Always a pleasure to help!) and that idea for a trailer sounds very nice

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
So till they right out deconfirm it . Its either going to be Nightmare or Sol for DLC 5. I love the Soul Caliber series - Nightmare is pretty good character also Ivy :>
No chance in hell for Ivy after Mai didn´t even get a spirit.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, our talks of Sol had me wonder something I have never thought about before...

What would Geno look like in the Guilty Gear aesthetic?

D

Deleted member

You know, our talks of Sol had me wonder something I have never thought about before...

What would Geno look like in the Guilty Gear aesthetic?
I can’t be confident about a specific design, but he would look badass

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Right, yes, but that's why this is speculation and why it's totally okay if I'm wrong. Yes, of course, there are factors that are impossible for me to know like Sakurai's inner thoughts but that's kind of why I'm tinkering with what's tangible and knowable and trying to more or less make educated guesses on these things.
I do find it all interesting, just trying to come up with some counterpoints similarly based on educated guesses. Speculation is more fun when there's some opposing viewpoints in the mix :D.

That's why I find your "thank you" theory so interesting in how it can be applied in different ways. I think at this point we can all admit that Sakurai marches to the beat of his own drum, so there's going to be a lot of different interpretations on just how we can move forward with that theory, and it's probably going to end in a bucket of contradictions assuming it's even correct in the first place. My issue with the way it's being applied now isn't just that it's circumstantial, but that the patterns mentioned seem reaching. Kind of like a literature professor talking about how the blue door in the room is a metaphor for the character's loneliness only for the author to come in and say, "no, the door is just blue".

D

Deleted member

Guys!

Vergeben is making an allegory!

He is comparing Fighter 5 with Goku because the character will break the internet as much as he would!

In fact, I have the leaked amiibo of Fighter 5:

image.jpg

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Well ****.
We can stop arguing about his cred now right?

Guys!

Vergeben is making an allegory!

He is comparing Fighter 5 with Goku because the character will break the internet as much as he would!

In fact, I have the leaked amiibo of Fighter 5:

Gah WE WERE RIGHT ABOUT A SOUL CALIBUR REP WE JUST HAD THE WRONG CHARACTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom