• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Someone please educate me on who Sol badguy is?
This is Sol Badguy.

This is what Sol Badguy looks like when he's playing for real, this form being called Dragon Install

His dead girlfriend's DNA was used to make many of the characters in the games as clones of her as well as making this killer machine called Justice.

And he was betrayed by his closest colleague and turned into a prototype weapon of mass destruction called a Gear and seeks to destroy other Gears so they aren't forced into being war-wreaking machines against their will. He used to hide how he felt so as not to get too close to people and potentially ruin things when it came time to fight, but due to learning from his eternal rival Ky Kiske and taking in his son, Sin Kiske, as an apprentice he has slowly learned to open up and have a new outlook on life.

Sol's weapon is called the Junkyard Dog Mk III and he is incredibly talented and smart while also extremely powerful and kindhearted, but he wears his headband to limit his power and retain his humanity. Basically, this is what happens when an awesome and talented Japanese man has a undying love for the band Queen and builds a character that is a love letter to Freddy Mercury.

Oh, and the newest game comes out late next year and THIS is the theme of the game.

Not sure anything else needs to be said, honestly.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I mean there’s a difference between not backing a real leak and leaking something that doesn’t happen. And I didn’t say anything about a fighter, Verge said Minecraft content was coming and, to be fair it still could but it hasn’t yet.
There is a difference, one didn't know a character and one got side content wrong. They both have been widely supported on their talks for DLC regardless. When they say a fighter is or isn't happening far better to take note.

Last edited:

Oshawott777

Smash Cadet
So now we've come to the end of journey. We've come to the conclusions that 1. there's very strong evidence that all the Smash 4 DLC costumes were meant to return and 2. these Mii costumes were never planned as playable for the Fighter's Pass. With this in mind, what do we have left that's not "in the vault?" Gil, Lloyd, and both Monster Hunter costumes. Interesting... Two Namco costumes... All have swords... Three have heavy armor... Hmmm... Interesting... Seems to be a theme... Who uses a sword and wears heavy armor... Hmmm, I say, hmmm, son, HMMMM....
I just want to err on the side of caution, didn't Verge say that the 5th DLC character wasn't from Namco?

Also your posts remind me of Clark Griswold's rant from Christmas Vacation.

"Hallelujah! Holy ****! Where's the tylenol..."

Firox

Smash Master
Everyone's talking about Namco but I still wouldn't count out Rayman or Travis Touchdown. They just seem so much like something Sakurai would do.

D

Deleted member

but due to learning from his eternal rival Ky Kiske and taking in his son, Sin Kiske, as an apprentice he has slowly learned to open up and have a new outlook on life.
So he's Terry. Mixed with Dante.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This is Sol Badguy.

This is what Sol Badguy looks like when he's playing for real, this form being called Dragon Install

His dead girlfriend's DNA was used to make many of the characters in the games as clones of her as well as making this killer machine called Justice.

And he was betrayed by his closest colleague and turned into a prototype weapon of mass destruction called a Gear and seeks to destroy other Gears so they aren't forced into being war-wreaking machines against their will. He used to hide how he felt so as not to get too close to people and potentially ruin things when it came time to fight, but due to learning from his eternal rival Ky Kiske and taking in his son, Sin Kiske, as an apprentice he has slowly learned to open up and have a new outlook on life.

Sol's weapon is called the Junkyard Dog Mk III and he is incredibly talented and smart while also extremely powerful and kindhearted, but he wears his headband to limit his power and retain his humanity. Basically, this is what happens when an awesome and talented Japanese man has a undying love for the band Queen and builds a character that is a love letter to Freddy Mercury.

Oh, and the newest game comes out late next year and THIS is the theme of the game.

Looks sick.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
There is a difference, one didn't know a character and one got side content wrong. They both have been widely supported on their talks for DLC regardless. When they say a fighter is or isn't happening far better to take note.
Oh, don’t mistake my intent, I’m not dismissing Verge entirely, I’m just also not taking his word as gospel. If another leaker comes out and corroborates “no Namco” then throw everything out the window, as that happened with all the other disconfirmations, but for now it’s just Verge

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So he's Terry. Mixed with Dante.
Uhhh...what?

You mean he's a dude that wears red?

No I get it: he's got Dante's badass factor and he's a male fighter who took in a kid that wasn't his and taught him how to fight like Terry.

Seriously though, there is no original idea under the sun: you just make old ideas more refreshing and appealing. This kind of character happens in media all the time, the mentor character, though this trend is that you see the mentor grow and develop before taking on an apprentice versus learning about them through a flashback or ****ty prequel. Just because an idea has been done before doesn't mean you have to call it out in such a manner.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Obviously, I've buried the thread in paragraphs about why I think it's a Namco character, and now specifically Soul Caliber, but I feel like all the character additions for this Fighter's Pass have had a lot of gravity to Sakurai himself.

Joker:

View attachment 249454

Hero:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...on_next_weeks_dragon_quest_xi_s_launch_stream

Banjo:

View attachment 249455

Terry:

The longest Smash presentation in Smash history and it's mostly just him gushing about SNK.

Namco has helped Sakurai make the last two games and basically has been on this crazy ride with him since 2012! It's almost been 8 years! That's absolutely nuts and DLC is probably going to go on for at least yet another year so almost a decade working with these guys. I feel like people undersell this talking point way too often. The Fighter's Pass was originally going to be it. What better way to end it than thanking the company that's been with him for the longest and biggest ongoing project of his entire career and probably life by uplifting that company's biggest crossover franchise? Think about it.
Again, I don't see how this doesn't apply to other characters, even within the same company like KOS-MOS who has not one but two associated entities that have helped Sakurai a lot (Namco and Monolithsoft) and Smash in its current form wouldn't be what it is without BOTH of them.

I actually think the Xbox mention and Terry presentation length are kind of weird as far as circumstantial evidence goes. Both were post-announcements, so I'm not understanding using them as analogues to pre-announcement hints.

Thinking about it more, the way "thank you" theory is being talked about seems kind of limited, doesn't it? Why couldn't 2B be a thank you to Yoko Taro for contributing to Sakurai's "never give up" attitude after needing more than a decade to find success. Why couldn't Travis Touchdown or Agent York be a thank you to Suda51 and Swery respectively for being fun drinking buddies? Why couldn't Reimu be a thank you to ZUN for being such an important player in the grassroots scene of Japanese game development, while simultaneously thanking the genre that got him into game development in the first place? Why couldn't Sora be a thank you to Nomura, who he's just longstanding friends with? Why couldn't Mavis Beacon be a thank you for teaching him how to type?

Soul Calibur is absolutely being slept on, but we don't need to think bigger here, we need to think wider. It genuinely feels like it's anyone's game at this point.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Idk if Imu-sama is from the void century but if you have a theory about this I'll take it ^^
It's not exactly my theory, but the thing is that there has been a few theories out there that suggest the immortality surgery was done on Imu-Sama during or before the Void Century. Thus, he is over 800 years old if true. There is also a theory that he was the King of Dressrosa before the Celestial Dragons moved into the Holyland Mary Geoise.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Oh, don’t mistake my intent, I’m not dismissing Verge entirely, I’m just also not taking his word as gospel. If another leaker comes out and corroborates “no Namco” then throw everything out the window, as that happened with all the other disconfirmations, but for now it’s just Verge
Honestly I have no intention of taking his word as gospel, I would very much like him to be proven wrong, however, I'm just taking the opposite approach, I'm keeping his words in consideration until Sabi or someone else disproves him.

D

Deleted member

Uhhh...what?

You mean he's a dude that wears red?

No I get it: he's got Dante's badass factor and he's a male fighter who took in a kid that wasn't his and taught him how to fight like Terry.

Seriously though, there is no original idea under the sun: you just make old ideas more refreshing and appealing. This kind of character happens in media all the time, the mentor character, though this trend is that you see the mentor grow and develop before taking on an apprentice versus learning about them through a flashback or ****ty prequel. Just because an idea has been done before doesn't mean you have to call it out in such a manner.
Hey, I know I have a cynical streak in me, but this one was a joke. Obviously Terry's dead girlfriend wasn't used to make pocket size Gundams :ultpacman:

Last edited by a moderator:

pinshadow

Smash Lord

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Honestly I have no intention of taking his word as gospel, I would very much like him to be proven wrong, however, I'm just taking the opposite approach, I'm keeping his words in consideration until Sabi or someone else disproves him.
I honestly hope Verg and Sabi keeps talking, so they eventually get proven wrong and we don't have to hear about them for the rest of times

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I honestly hope Verg and Sabi keeps talking, so they eventually get proven wrong and we don't have to hear about them for the rest of times
Wishful thinking. Both of them have already been wrong plenty of times.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I have a meme already prepared for the day of the glorious announcement, so I will postpone it until his new render is released (I could publish it now but I don't think it will have the same impact if i used his only official SMRPG render)

Bee Card

Smash Ace
It's not exactly my theory, but the thing is that there has been a few theories out there that suggest the immortality surgery was done on Imu-Sama during or before the Void Century. Thus, he is over 800 years old if true. There is also a theory that he was the King of Dressrosa before the Celestial Dragons moved into the Holyland Mary Geoise.
Ah yes ! that could explain why she/he looks the giant straw hat like a trophy. A theory claim that this is the hat of Joy Boy who could have been the king of the ancient kingdom (especially cause the hat is in a cold room for better conservation). So if Imu wasn't from the void century, perhaps she wouldn't have looked the hat like a trophy

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Wishful thinking. Both of them have already been wrong plenty of times.
I know Verge has been wrong plenty, I don't know how people can take him seriously after "NO LINKS AWAKENING REMAKE", but when has Sabi been wrong, genuine question.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Again, I don't see how this doesn't apply to other characters, even within the same company like KOS-MOS who has not one but two associated entities that have helped Sakurai a lot (Namco and Monolithsoft) and Smash in its current form wouldn't be what it is without BOTH of them.

I actually think the Xbox mention and Terry presentation length are kind of weird as far as circumstantial evidence goes. Both were post-announcements, so I'm not understanding using them as analogues to pre-announcement hints.

Thinking about it more, the way "thank you" theory is being talked about seems kind of limited, doesn't it? Why couldn't 2B be a thank you to Yoko Taro for contributing to Sakurai's "never give up" attitude after needing more than a decade to find success. Why couldn't Travis Touchdown or Agent York be a thank you to Suda51 and Swery respectively for being fun drinking buddies? Why couldn't Reimu be a thank you to ZUN for being such an important player in the grassroots scene of Japanese game development, while simultaneously thanking the genre that got him into game development in the first place? Why couldn't Sora be a thank you to Nomura, who he's just longstanding friends with? Why couldn't Mavis Beacon be a thank you for teaching him how to type?

Soul Calibur is absolutely being slept on, but we need don't need to think bigger here, we need to think wider. It genuinely feels like it's anyone's game at this point.
It's really not though. It's going to be a character that means something to Sakurai in some way or another, which limits things.

Also, much like with Terry's announcement, I'm seeing a lot of people who really don't know about fighting games outside of Smash...and as a guru of fighting games, this makes me pretty bummed out. Fighting games come out with the coolest characters, man, you guys don't even know the half of it.

Oh, and before someone says that 'No one knows who Sol Badguy is. Get out of here gamer boomer!" Let me drop some how phat knowledge real quick.

Smash had never gotten this big up until recently as Melee had basically dropped off the face of the earth and there was a time where the Smash Community was essentially dead in terms of competitive play. The biggest face for tournaments is Street Fighter, made by Capcom. We are slowly moving into another age with Capcom that happened int he early 2000s where they just couldn't make a good fighting game and they kinda just dropped off the face of the earth up until Street Fighter 4 brought them back. During this time, one of the biggest fighting games was Guilty Gear X and X2 and people loved it. Sometime around or after 2007, much like how SNK was unable to make more games because they went bankrupt, something happened and Arc System Works couldn't make Guilty Gear anymore. It's unclear and I can't find any information on it, but it was some sort of rights issue. Thus, they made Blazblue, which also is very popular and was considered the spiritual successor to Guilty Gear much int he same way Paper Mario was to SMRPG: not quite the same, but you can tell the love was there.

Then finally, the stars aligned in the heavens and Arc System Works made Guilty Gear Xrd, proof that whatever that struggle was about was now over, and now Guilty Gear Strive is coming out in late 2020...and if you think people aren't excited for it...well, let me just show you the reaction the announcement got at EVO if you don't remember or didn't watch.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This is Sol Badguy.

I don't know a ton about Guilty Gear, but the music of the games are on point for sure. For some reason, I often find myself coming back to Juno in particular.

D

Deleted member

I don't know a ton about Guilty Gear, but the music of the games are on point for sure. For some reason, I often find myself coming back to Juno in particular.
This is why I'm down with Sol Badguy - if he brings May's Theme we're all good.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This is why I'm down with Sol Badguy - if he brings May's Theme we're all good.
Gonna be honest, part of the reason I would be okay with him in(Beyond music and the style he has) is because I really like watching Maximillian Dood and I know he loves Guilty Gear a ton. I can only imagine the sheer joy he would have with such a reveal. Anyone else here watch him?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Soul Calibur is absolutely being slept on, but we don't need to think bigger here, we need to think wider. It genuinely feels like it's anyone's game at this point.
Because the Fighter's Pass was originally going to be it and the series was probably going to take a long hiatus. #5 would have been the last Smash character for basically an ongoing project that has technically been going on almost a decade. That's a big deal. That's a very big deal. Like Sakurai has said, he has strong doubts that he'll ever be able to top this game and it comes off as a Magnum Opus. I said this on the Papageno's Discord but Soul Caliber is basically Namco's Smash. It has had absolutely crazy guests from Link to Kratos to Ezio to DARTH VADER and YODA. Star Wars is worth 65 BILLION, with a hard B, dollars. The entire Mario series? 36 billion. I mean... That's an enormous deal. Like I keep saying, I don't think people fully grasp the full significance of how big of a deal this would be given it would literally be the merging of the two biggest crossover franchises in gaming.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Gonna be honest, part of the reason I would be okay with him in(Beyond music and the style he has) is because I really like watching Maximillian Dood and I know he loves Guilty Gear a ton. I can only imagine the sheer joy he would have with such a reveal. Anyone else here watch him?
Oh man I love Max’s videos. After Cloud, Mega Man, and Terry I wonder if his heart could take Sol...

Or Nightmare now that I think about it, he loves Soul Calibur too

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
To swing back on Sora again; Sakurai and Nomura are buddies and Sakurai even gave KH a shoutout a few weeks ago

Disney always goes to Nomura when it comes to doing stuff with Sora, and I highly doubt he'd say no if offered the chance for his pet project to be in his buddies game

1575322177236.png

RingJ5

Smash Ace

I know I sound like a broken record at this point and just brought him up a page ago, but don’t sleep on Monokuma either, this exists after all.

81CEE7D9-0679-478B-86D1-2A3C8BAA6D08.jpeg

...Hm, I actually didn’t realize before that not only has Takada worked on Smash(as recently as Ultimate) and Danganronpa, he also composed for NMH. The “Monokuma or Travis” chances are only getting larger and larger as more characters get deconfirmed.

D

Deleted member

Now I'm interested in looking into Guilty Gear.
So, I normally don't have much good to say about traditional fighters, but Guilty Gear is one that I really would try to get into if we had a more active scene for it around here. It's got a great style and a really diverse cast of characters, in terms of gameplay. It's in the same boat as Skullgirls with me in terms of coming at a high recommendation despite the fact that I'm laughably bad at both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom