• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
iirc, Peach, Dedede, and Meta Knight were all considered for 64 and technical difficulties kept them out. No source, sorry, so take it as hearsay. That aside, Ness was the first "Wtf" character and was probably only added for the shock factor.
I read on the source gaming compilation it was mewtwo and Marth, with Bowser and Dedede actually making it decently far before they had to cut them loose for time or something. If anything that just makes Ness staying in look better.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm almost vibrating (probably from it being Manic Monday and drinking a whole lot of coffee) but things are falling into place so damn hard. What I wrote earlier gives backing to a theory that I've been using literally before Ultimate was announced... Useable assets. Inkling, Isabelle, Chrom, Dark Samus, and K. Rool all had usable assets from Smash 4. One piece of the puzzle was in front of me the whole time...

Of course they renegotiated for Geno! He was in the base game and if Season 1 of DLC was planned and finalized before launch, of course Nintendo already had permission to use the assets, especially if the original plan was to bring back all the Smash 4 DLC costumes! It makes so much sense! Of course he was always going to come back either way but we all assumed it was the Mii costume. No! That ship has sailed, mother****ers, and hasn't been to port in four months!

Now, similar situation, DLC was kind of sprung on Sakurai for Smash 4 too. Originally it was JUST going to be Mewtwo as a little bonus gift but around November 2014 they were like "**** it, let's do a whole line up." Now, ladies and gentlemen, who were the first three characters outta da gate? Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy. Lucas was in Brawl and Mewtwo and Roy were originally planned for Brawl but ultimately cut despite having the most work done by far. Why these three? USABLE. ****ING. ASSETS. A lot of the basic work bull**** was already done for these characters. Same could easily be argued for Lloyd and Geno. USABLE. ****ING. ASSETS. There's a whole goddamn buffet table spread for ATs and Mii costumes being used as references and models for full playable characters. MMMMMM! That's some GOOOOOOD speculation, right there!

Our time is coming, my brothers and sisters! Our time is near!

View attachment 249438
Ok Fatman put the weapon down....there is no need to chop anyone up over this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I read on the source gaming compilation it was mewtwo and Marth, with Bowser and Dedede actually making it decently far before they had to cut them loose for time or something. If anything that just makes Ness staying in look better.
"staying in" like they were going to just cut a completely done character?

... you know what, this is Nintendo, who never released a completely finished game (Star Fox 2) and did cut basically completed characters from Brawl so what am I saying? I'm just full of bias because Mother is basically my favorite Nintendo franchise.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
lol this thread stresses me out.

Anyone seen the undying hatred for Geno on gamefaqs? It's kind of pathetic in a way.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I agree with everything you said and that this could mean great things for geno in the future, I personally think he is 7 at least with lloy being 6.

Howewver I still have one doubt. If your theory is correct and sword users will be a theme for the mii costumes of number 5 and in the case that vergeben is right and is not a bandai namco character. There are pthrr sword users that has not been decofirmed taht could also fit the criteria. Also if Lloyd is number 6 it would be weird to have two namco characters back to back, also that nightmare and also sol are fighting game characters so they will be the same genre as terry. So i personally think that number 5 is not bandai namco, it is a company totally unexpected, no heard about but is a non rpg sword user.

That could give some light in the darkness of the number 5 mistery.
I think 2 Namco characters back to back is honestly small potatoes and there's a number of work arounds:

1. They just announce multiple characters on the same day like Banjo and Hero.

2. They announce them in the same trailer like Simon and Richter.

3. They just don't give a **** and just do it anyways.

Yes, it's unconventional, but that's its only obstacle. Announcing 5 new characters in one presentation last August was unconventional too. All in all it's kind of irrelevant and Nintendo will ultimately just do what it wants anyways.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I personally still have my doubts its Nightmare. Because he seems super out there even by Joker standards.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice what are your thoughts on Verge saying FP5 isn't a Namco rep? I believe your theory over Verge's words, but I just want to hear your thoughts.

I personally still have my doubts its Nightmare. Because he seems super out there even by Joker standards.
I don't think so. Soul Calibur isn't the biggest Namco franchise, but it certainly isn't niche that's for sure.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
"staying in" like they were going to just cut a completely done character?

... you know what, this is Nintendo, who never released a completely finished game (Star Fox 2) and did cut basically completed characters from Brawl so what am I saying? I'm just full of bias because Mother is basically my favorite Nintendo franchise.
I should have worded it better then, I need to go read the interview quotes again but it seemed to imply that at some point they realized they weren't going to finish without cutting off some of the fat, and out of the current cast Bowser and dedede got the boot. I think they said they only got as far as a controllable model so who knows that the timeline of this all was.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Anyone seen the undying hatred for Geno on gamefaqs? It's kind of pathetic in a way.
You can't generalize about an entire website, of course, but it might just be that Geno's been consistently popular. From what I recall, Ridley and K. Rool were met with similar reactions before they were revealed. (saying that Ridley's too big, or saying that K. Rool wouldn't be included in Smash since he hadn't been in a game since Mario Super Sluggers in 2008)

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I think 2 Namco characters back to back is honestly small potatoes and there's a number of work arounds:

1. They just announce multiple characters on the same day like Banjo and Hero.

2. They announce them in the same trailer like Simon and Richter.

3. They just don't give a **** and just do it anyways.

Yes, it's unconventional, but that's its only obstacle. Announcing 5 new characters in one presentation last August was unconventional too. All in all it's kind of irrelevant and Nintendo will ultimately just do what it wants anyways.
*starts to imagine a Game Awards trailer starting from the Hero trailer where Nightmare appears and then Geno and Lloyd show up to fight him*

HMpoweredMan

Smash Cadet
I'm almost vibrating (probably from it being Manic Monday and drinking a whole lot of coffee) but things are falling into place so damn hard. What I wrote earlier gives backing to a theory that I've been using literally before Ultimate was announced... Useable assets. Inkling, Isabelle, Chrom, Dark Samus, and K. Rool all had usable assets from Smash 4. One piece of the puzzle was in front of me the whole time...

Of course they renegotiated for Geno! He was in the base game and if Season 1 of DLC was planned and finalized before launch, of course Nintendo already had permission to use the assets, especially if the original plan was to bring back all the Smash 4 DLC costumes! It makes so much sense! Of course he was always going to come back either way but we all assumed it was the Mii costume. No! That ship has sailed, mother****ers, and hasn't been to port in four months!

Now, similar situation, DLC was kind of sprung on Sakurai for Smash 4 too. Originally it was JUST going to be Mewtwo as a little bonus gift but around November 2014 they were like "**** it, let's do a whole line up." Now, ladies and gentlemen, who were the first three characters outta da gate? Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy. Lucas was in Brawl and Mewtwo and Roy were originally planned for Brawl but ultimately cut despite having the most work done by far. Why these three? USABLE. ****ING. ASSETS. A lot of the basic work bull**** was already done for these characters. Same could easily be argued for Lloyd and Geno. USABLE. ****ING. ASSETS. There's a whole goddamn buffet table spread for ATs and Mii costumes being used as references and models for full playable characters. MMMMMM! That's some GOOOOOOD speculation, right there!

Our time is coming, my brothers and sisters! Our time is near!

Maybe it is time to see a psychiatrist.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I don't think so. Soul Calibur isn't the biggest Namco franchise, but it certainly isn't niche that's for sure.
It still feels weird. Even knowing that the fighter pass was basically a lot of Sakurai's wants. There are a bunch of characters he heavily raves about but then ends up going with Nightmare. It just seems like a really odd choice.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It still feels weird. Even knowing that the fighter pass was basically a lot of Sakurai's wants. There are a bunch of characters he heavily raves about but then ends up going with Nightmare. It just seems like a really odd choice.
Like do we know at all on what Sakurai's thoughts are on Soul Calibur? No, no we don't.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My argument about usable assets isn't that things like Mii costumes are 1:1, it's that they're frames of reference. For example, as pointed out a lot, playable K. Rool shares a ton of traits with the K. Rool costume. The playable Little Mac shares traits with the original AT, noticably his running animations. Little things like this is definitely better than starting with absolutely nothing. It's like painting a bowl of fruit that's right in front of you as opposed to painting it from memory. Same premise.

HMpoweredMan

Smash Cadet
My argument about usable assets isn't that things like Mii costumes are 1:1, it's that they're frames of reference. For example, as pointed out a lot, playable K. Rool shares a ton of traits with the K. Rool costume. The playable Little Mac shares traits with the original AT, noticably his running animations. Little things like this is definitely better than starting with absolutely nothing. It's like painting a bowl of fruit that's right in front of you as opposed to painting it from memory. Same premise.
You don't give the artists enough credit. They don't need a 'frame of reference' when the original IP is the reference. That's like saying it's easier to work with someone else's rendition of the Mona Lisa to paint your own than referencing the original.

They've demonstrated time and time again that they are good at research and creating characters very faithful to the originals.
These people have the benefit of being able to speak to the original creators.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice what are your thoughts on Verge saying FP5 isn't a Namco rep? I believe your theory over Verge's words, but I just want to hear your thoughts.

Don't believe him. Verge hasn't been right about Smash in over a year (last August if we want to be super blunt) and has honestly had an awful year altogether. This is the guy that fell for both the Steve and Star Fox Grand Prix leakbait, after all. Yes, his track record for base roster was great but the info wasn't exactly esoteric among insiders. Lots of people knew but nobody said anything because they didn't feel a need to. Verge was leaking stuff for e-cred and efame and I've come to find that a lot of insiders just find that trashy. Rumors, hints, and teasing are one thing, outright leaking is very hard looked down on, especially if you have a public platform. This is also why **** hit the fan for the Seven Squares. Full scale leaking games/info that you absolutely know are true is largely seen as unethical.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think the thing with re-used assets is like... recycling stuff from an old sketch, if we'll use artist metaphors here (and boy, as an artist, I love those). You've sketched a character from their original design that you made a long time ago and didn't complete it, and now, you're working on something at a grander scale. Instead of starting with a new sketch, you're like, "Hey, I actually did something that might fit with this," and you can take either portions or the entirety of that sketch to make something new. It uses assets from the original, both the sketch and your final piece, but your sketch is a framework you'd already made that could be recycled. It, too, is very faithful to the original design and original assets, and it can be helped to shortcut things.

I've done this too many times, which is painfully common when you make a million things that you never finish. :drflip: Whoopee, failure to be dedicated to WIPs has its benefits! It's not like it's disparaging for artists to do that, too. Even the most skilled artists have done this very thing. They can pick from the original sources and from prior projects to make something fresh a reality. I truly feel like that was done at least with King K. Rool's costume's assets, as they mirror the playable K. Rool quite well. You can also see the inspiration from both of his older designs, the one from Rareware's DKC series and the one from PAON. It was all used to make the beautiful concoction we have today.

tl;dr: Reusing things, even the tiniest things, isn't giving artists less credit they deserve. Rather, it's a commonly integrated part of an artist's life, professional or not. It's just logical. It can even boil down to just reusing and sprucing up texture maps or pieces, which, in the case of Geno's outfit, is definitely possible. They already have a basis with his cape and hat. Why not tweak those and give them a fresh coat of paint? They've already got some groundwork there, and they can alter the already done models to best fit the real deal. It's not like it's an impossibility, and in fact, it could potentially make the workload easier.

Also, unrelated, buuuuuuut...

THAT MARIO MAKER 2 UPDATE IS MAKING MY ZELDA II-LOVING HEART SING.

D

Deleted member

You don't give the artists enough credit. They don't need a 'frame of reference' when the original IP is the reference. That's like saying it's easier to work with someone else's rendition of the Mona Lisa to paint your own than referencing the original.

They've demonstrated time and time again that they are good at research and creating characters very faithful to the originals.
These people have the benefit of being able to speak to the original creators.
Almost two months ago, the Supper Mario Broth twitter made a post about Peach's Mario RPG model that they used to create her sprites, and it's ridiculously detailed for the time. Ever since seeing it, I've been really hoping that somewhere, those models still exist and they use Geno's original model as a reference for his Smash debut.

Don't believe him. Verge hasn't been right about Smash in over a year (last August if we want to be super blunt) and has honestly had an awful year altogether. This is the guy that fell for both the Steve and Star Fox Grand Prix leakbait, after all. Yes, his track record for base roster was great but the info wasn't exactly esoteric among insiders. Lots of people knew but nobody said anything because they didn't feel a need to. Verge was leaking stuff for e-cred and efame and I've come to find that a lot of insiders just find that trashy. Rumors, hints, and teasing are one thing, outright leaking is very hard looked down on, especially if you have a public platform. This is also why **** hit the fan for the Seven Squares. Full scale leaking games/info that you absolutely know are true is largely seen as unethical.
Not to mention that once Ridley was in, almost everything was a safe bet. Waluigi was dead in the water (... apparently), Daisy and the concept of echo fighters was in, and Ridley was here. The sky was the limit and every character added was a safe bet afterwards - and the ones that weren't safe bets, Richter and K. Rool, Vergeben screwed the pooch on.

I'm taking his word on the Namco/Level 5 deconfirms only because he's been relatively quiet outside of piggybacking and this is his first big move in a long while - Minecraft was a bad hill to die on, but this one will be the nail in the coffin if he blows it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Soul Caliber is basically the Crossover King of Namco and second only to Smash in gaming as a whole. Here's a list of the huge properties that Soul Caliber has crossed over with over the years:

-the Legend of Zelda
-Tekken
-Spawn
-Star Wars
-Assassin's Creed
-Nier: Automata
-God of War
-Samurai Showdown
-Tales of
-Xenogears

Add in cut content and it gets even crazier:

-Bayonetta
-Final Fantasy
-Devil May Cry

Soul Caliber is hard slept on.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Nightmare is the face of Soul Calibur, he's even on Project Soul's logo

1575310464041.png

As for Sakurai's wants, we only know what he's been public about what he likes. From his SNK presentation we know the dude is BIG into fighting games, so it's not unreasonable to think Soul Calibur would be on his radar, and again, I think the biggest point in Nightmare's favor is that he and Link have crossed paths before

1575310612579.png

This crossover is still unprecedented by Nintendo's standards. We've had Bowser and DK in Skylanders and the FE crew in that weird steampunk game and X Zone, but Link being in Soul Cal 2 was, and still is, a big deal

Sakurai strikes me as the kind of guy who'd be willing to return the favor, and even hype up a big rematch between the two of them

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I made the mistake of looking at gamefaqs for a while. Then, I found this thread and it seemed like the gods were smiling down upon me.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I think the thing with re-used assets is like... recycling stuff from an old sketch, if we'll use artist metaphors here (and boy, as an artist, I love those). You've sketched a character from their original design that you made a long time ago and didn't complete it, and now, you're working on something at a grander scale. Instead of starting with a new sketch, you're like, "Hey, I actually did something that might fit with this," and you can take either portions or the entirety of that sketch to make something new. It uses assets from the original, both the sketch and your final piece, but your sketch is a framework you'd already made that could be recycled. It, too, is very faithful to the original design and original assets, and it can be helped to shortcut things.

I've done this too many times, which is painfully common when you make a million things that you never finish. :drflip: Whoopee, failure to be dedicated to WIPs has its benefits! It's not like it's disparaging for artists to do that, too. Even the most skilled artists have done this very thing. They can pick from the original sources and from prior projects to make something fresh a reality. I truly feel like that was done at least with King K. Rool's costume's assets, as they mirror the playable K. Rool quite well. You can also see the inspiration from both of his older designs, the one from Rareware's DKC series and the one from PAON. It was all used to make the beautiful concoction we have today.

tl;dr: Reusing things, even the tiniest things, isn't giving artists less credit they deserve. Rather, it's a commonly integrated part of an artist's life, professional or not. It's just logical. It can even boil down to just reusing and sprucing up texture maps or pieces, which, in the case of Geno's outfit, is definitely possible. They already have a basis with his cape and hat. Why not tweak those and give them a fresh coat of paint? They've already got some groundwork there, and they can alter the already done models to best fit the real deal. It's not like it's an impossibility, and in fact, it could potentially make the workload easier.

Also, unrelated, buuuuuuut...

THAT MARIO MAKER 2 UPDATE IS MAKING MY ZELDA II-LOVING HEART SING.
Wonderful comparison! I was just about to make that same case, but with music.

You know how many versions of jingle bells there are? You don't really see a new hot take of that song. You have the same lyrics and overall feel, but the tempo could be different, the beat could be odd, but it's still Jingle Bells.

You take inspiration from the original and make it your own, while using the source material as reference. You wouldn't go 'I want to make my own jingle bells, so I will burn what I could use to help me' ...a bit of an extreme example, but hopefully the point i made.

EDIT: It's hard typing on my phone.

Last edited:

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Vergeben said it won't be a Namco rep for the next character, I'm 100% conviced that Geno will be in this Smash but I don't think it will be the next (Vergeben also said that Geno will not be the next). Remember what Sakurai said in the Terry Bogard presentation, "it's more important that a character is fun to play, not just recognizable" perhaps it's a hint meaning the next character is another retro character or a niche character idk.

D

Deleted member

Vergeben said it won't be a Namco rep for the next character, I'm 100% conviced that Geno will be in this Smash but I don't think it will be the next (Vergeben also said that Geno will not be the next). Remember what Sakurai said in the Terry Bogard presentation, "it's more important that a character is fun to play, not just recognizable" perhaps it's a hint meaning the next character is another retro character or a niche character idk.
I doubt Sakurai was dropping hints about the next character like that, he was probably just being general about the post pass characters - if he wants to please the longtime fans, he's gonna be dropping some characters that zoomers are gonna have to crack open a history book to know about, and they won't be listed in the first few pages like Terry.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Almost two months ago, the Supper Mario Broth twitter made a post about Peach's Mario RPG model that they used to create her sprites, and it's ridiculously detailed for the time. Ever since seeing it, I've been really hoping that somewhere, those models still exist and they use Geno's original model as a reference for his Smash debut.
I would hope so...but I fear it might be lost. Square was bad about keeping materials back then. It's believed that they lost most of the source materials for all final fantasy games, including source code. That's why all FF7 ports are based on the old pc version (which another company did, that DIDN'T lose everything).

It makes me incredibly sad, but I bet all of the Mario RPG materials are lost to time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would hope so...but I fear it might be lost. Square was bad about keeping materials back then. It's believed that they lost most of the source materials for all final fantasy games, including source code. That's why all FF7 ports are based on the old pc version.

It makes me incredibly sad, but I bet all of the Mario RPG materials are lost to time.
True, I heard that's why it took so long to get a Final Fantasy 8 remaster. But, Mario RPG has the advantage in that Nintendo was involved with it.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
To throw my hat in the ring about the reused assets argument: I think Geno is in a better position than most

The Mii Costume could be used as a perfect base, Geno's proportions are almost identical

1575312103399.png

Compare to when a Smash 4 mod used the costume as a baseline for porting him over Megaman

1575312135994.png

So them using the Mii Costume as a foundation to build Geno up isn't an unreasonable guess, if anything, I think Fatmanonice Fatmanonice is on to something

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
Geno's Mii costume was the first time the character has ever been modeled officially in 3D if I'm not mistaken. For that reason, they would probably use the Mii costume as reference when making him a playable fighter similar to how Ovaltine Ovaltine described.

D

Deleted member

Geno's Mii costume was the first time the character has ever been modeled officially in 3D if I'm not mistaken. For that reason, they would probably use the Mii costume as reference when making him a playable fighter similar to how Ovaltine Ovaltine described.
as I was mentioning earlier he was fully modeled in 3D back when they made Super Mario RPG, as all of his sprites were "pre-rendered" - i.e. they were rendered as models, screenshot, and then touched up to work as individual sprites (tiles, to be more accurate)

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Geno cannot be playable as there are already too many characters in Smash that start with the letter G in their name like Duck Hunt, Alph and Incineroar.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Obviously, I've buried the thread in paragraphs about why I think it's a Namco character, and now specifically Soul Caliber, but I feel like all the character additions for this Fighter's Pass have had a lot of gravity to Sakurai himself.

Joker:

f0c.jpeg

Hero:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...on_next_weeks_dragon_quest_xi_s_launch_stream

Banjo:

eb5.png

Terry:

The longest Smash presentation in Smash history and it's mostly just him gushing about SNK.

Namco has helped Sakurai make the last two games and basically has been on this crazy ride with him since 2012! It's almost been 8 years! That's absolutely nuts and DLC is probably going to go on for at least yet another year so almost a decade working with these guys. I feel like people undersell this talking point way too often. The Fighter's Pass was originally going to be it. What better way to end it than thanking the company that's been with him for the longest and biggest ongoing project of his entire career and probably life by uplifting that company's biggest crossover franchise? Think about it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And than there's also the fact he piggyback off of Shinobi with Banjo & Kazooie and Nintendo themselves with Terry Bogard.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Here’s an idea I had regarding the mii costumes being reused. What if the miis are being used as the skeletons themselves. We had that mii swordfighter glitch awhile ago and people thought it was for Hero. However, Hero is very likely built from Link. So what if they use the mii as Lloyd’s base, and since the costumes already work with the mii, they improve it from there and maybe merge the assets together? Same thing could happen with Geno and the gunner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom