• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Ok this thread is super slow so I’m gonna ask a question:
If Geno got in smash, how do you feel he would play? And what moveset do you feel fits him the most
Personally I feel he would use a lot of projectiles, Geno Whirl would be a side smash,
And he would use his rocket fists for some tilts and if you timed it right they would explode
Also his down air could be just like megamans, the rest of my ideal moveset is based off of Brawlfan1s video

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Here’s a Super Mario RPG question that’s been bugging me.

https://www.mariowiki.com/images/5/54/Mack_SMRPG.png

Is Mack the little guy riding the knife or is he the knife?
I’d say Mack is the little dude and the knife is named Knife :ultpacman:
If Geno got in smash, how do you feel he would play? And what moveset do you feel fits him the most
Personally I feel he would use a lot of projectiles, Geno Whirl would be a side smash,
And he would use his rocket fists for some tilts and if you timed it right they would explode
Also his down air could be just like megamans, the rest of my ideal moveset is based off of Brawlfan1s video
Definitely a lot of projectiles like Megaman. All of his specials will probably make use of the timed hits as well

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Here's another SMRPG question that's been bugging me:

Are Jonathan Jones' eyes in his mouth?
I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT THIS YESTERDAY

I /think/ so, which then raises a further question, is he actually a shark or just a weirdo in a shark costume?

I see him being somewhere between Samus and Mega Man in that he’d have projectiles but not quite to the extent that Mega Man does. I see the rocket fists as a side smash. When he first fights Bowyer he does that teleport thing that the thief enemies and Axem Black do when they attack so I envision him being a somewhat speedy runner and doing the “teleport” while dodging. Also I’m pretty sure he Shoryukens Boywer so maybe that’ll be his up Smash lol

owjies

Smash Journeyman
One thing to consider is Geno's stats from Mario RPG. Let's compare him to Mario:

Mario
HP: 179
Attack: 127
Magic: 94
Phys Def: 85
Mag Def: 70
*Speed: 20

Geno
HP: 167
Attack: 153
Magic: 106
Phys Def: 105
Mag Def: 75
*Speed: 30

*Speed only determines turn order and does not change upon level up.

Geno hits really hard. His total physical attack actually rivals Bowser's (158). Geno is also the fastest party member by a pretty wide margin with only Peach coming close (24). Even though Geno's often considered a glass canon, he actually enjoys greater physical defense than Mario as well.

I see Geno as a combination of Toon Link and Megaman. I think Geno will focus on a variety of projectiles that travel varying distances. That said, I think he'll also be fairly quick and aggressive for a zoner and maybe even surprisingly sturdy. I'm most intrigued by how Sakurai will represent his specials. Geno requires a charge time, and that stationary build up has hampered characters like Samus (pre-Ultimate) and Robin.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Here’s a Super Mario RPG question that’s been bugging me.

Is Mack the little guy riding the knife or is he the knife?
The guy... I think? It's a pun because "Mack the Knife" is a famous German jazz song about a gangster from the late 1920's but really took off when Louis Armstrong did a cover in the late 1950's. I guess either could work based on the inspiration...

Plank08

Smash Lord
One thing to consider is Geno's stats from Mario RPG. Let's compare him to Mario:

Mario

Geno

One thing to note is that Geno hits really hard. Geno's total physical attack actually rivals Bowser's (158). Geno is also the fastest party member by a pretty wide margin with only Peach coming close (24). Even though Geno's often considered a glass canon, he actually enjoys greater physical defense than Mario as well.

I see Geno as a combination of Toon Link and Megaman. I think Geno will focus on a variety of projectiles that travel varying distances. That said, I think he'll also be fairly quick and aggressive for a zoner and maybe even surprisingly sturdy. I'm most intrigued by how Sakurai will represent his specials. Geno requires a charge time, and that stationary build up has hampered characters like Samus (pre-Ultimate) and Robin.
I just hope that Geno is as fun as banjo, I really want to main geno

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Mario

Geno

One thing to note is that Geno hits really hard. Geno's total physical attack actually rivals Bowser's (158). Geno is also the fastest party member by a pretty wide margin with only Peach coming close (24). Even though Geno's often considered a glass canon, he actually enjoys greater physical defense than Mario as well.

I made one a while back, if you're interested.
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-1511#post-23603157

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I just hope that Geno is as fun as banjo, I really want to main geno
This is a point I'd like to laborate on because there may be some that haven't considered it yet. Seeing mega man revealed in smash 4 was by far the hypest moment in smash for up to now, it single-handedly sold me the game despite having the weakest case of newcomers ever imo. But when I finally got my hands in him I was dismayed to find that I just didn't gel with him at all. He just felt completely awful to play and until the cheesy infinites were discovered it seems I wasn't alone in that. If they hadn't fixed cap back after trashing him in brawl I probably would have forgotten about that game altogether. Luckily megaman went through some drastic buffs to almost every single one of his moves and his new ultimate version plays exactly how I always hoped it would since seeing him in action that e3 all those years ago. The point of this story is that I'm terrified I'm going to go through the exact same thing with geno and seeing how ridley and especially k rool turned out have only intensified that fear. Granted the team have been a lot more willing to work with bad characters in meaningful ways this time and so far dlc has been mid tier at worst, but I technically did have it happen again with hero as I was really hyped to play solo in smash but his moves are so laggy and punishable your forced into a extremely unconventional method of attack by just exploiting a few cheesy moves to keep up that just feels really off. Maybe it will end up fine and it probably will but until it does I'm going to have that in the back of my mind.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I dont have so much hope in Geno.

Genobros, we lost?
Nah its just been a little quiet recently. The insiders still think he’s likely and the mii leak isnt dead yet, so I think we’re still good

Last edited:

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
Looks like I'm late to the party again, but people were talking about why they got into this stuff earlier so I thought I might impose my own tale upon y'all. Might be a little long winded, but I felt like going on for a while about it.

I hung out a lot at the GameFAQs Brawl board way way back in the day, before that game even came out. Met a ton of people there who've become the basis of a group of friends that I still spend most of my "socializing on-line" time with to this day. Back then, I just kinda watched the speculation scene somewhat bemusedly. Didn't really have a strong desire for any character to be in, I just wanted to play Brawl. It was rather curious, I found, that people wanted Geno. I loved Super Mario RPG and all, was one of my favorite SNES games. But Geno in Smash? Well, it didn't really seem like it was impossible, but I was more busy making hot Landmaster jokes (everyone there really thought it was hilarious that there were three of them).

Fast forward to the pre-release for Smash 4, and I've had a thought since then - going a whole game without him made me realize just how much I missed Mewtwo. I hoped and hoped that Mewtwo would be in that game. The roster got leaked coming up on the 3DS release... and he wasn't. Sad day. But I wasn't really about to start complaining - from my perspective, that game's roster was absolutely insane. I mean, Mega Man? That was just hype. I loved Mega Man as a kid. I'd also been getting some exposure to a pretty ardent Metroid fan amongst my friends, and while I didn't really care for those games that much, I really was hoping Ridley might get in for their sake at least. Though, my one strong wish was still Mewtwo. But alas, it seemed it was not meant to be...

And then there was the 100 Fact Extravawhatsit. And that in development Mewtwo model... Wow. I don't think I'd ever screamed that loud into a voice channel before. I felt like I finally got it at that point. Why people cared so much about this stuff. Because it was kind of fun, sitting around with your friends talking into the wee hours of the morning about who you think could be in the game. And how great it felt when something you were really hoping for finally came true.

Over the course of Smash 4 DLC, a lot of older characters were added, which made me pretty happy. I'm not someone who likes roster cuts. Even if it's a character I never play, the second you take it away from me I develop a sudden and unreasonable urge to play it. So it made me happy to see the characters coming back that did. And Cloud and Bayonetta (cursed gameplay aside) were very interesting additions. But, particularly with Cloud, I had the thought "There's no way that they can do this again." Sure, it might be fun to have these characters now, but later on we're just gonna be thinking about how much we miss them (your mileage may vary with Bayonetta).

And so on the morning of E3 last year, I came into it knowing there'd be a new Smash game. But they'd gone into it so fast! I feared the worst, I cannot lie. Some sort of scaled back game with a minimal roster due to development time constraints. Or just a simple port of 4 with some small add-ons (while I did enjoy the roster, the gameplay I found generally pretty janky and unpleasant in 4). I'd been running my mouth with my friends, saying I had no expectations. I was getting too old for this stuff! Oh I'd still watch the reveal, of course, we always watched E3 together.

Well, Mr. Sakurai gets going and all of a sudden I come to realize that not only is this game not disappointing, not only is this game not just a simple port... this game is actually exactly what I've wanted from the series for a long time now. Pichu and Young Link, characters I'd have probably bet my life savings would never be in the game again, are just there. My boy Mewtwo doesn't make me wait this time. Cloud returns. EVERYONE returns. The second I see that I realize that not only am I going to play this game, I'm going to play this game a lot.

Oh, and there's Ridley. Nice. And a few months later, there's K. Rool. I can feel those Brawl threads tugging at the corner of my mind. K. Rool in particular is a special one for me because the DKC series was basically what I grew up on. But for some reason I'd never really considered him in Smash. People talked about it, sure, but I never thought it'd really happen. I was pretty darn happy. I wondered, are they just going to make all those old dreams people had come true? It felt legitimately like this game was going for the ultimate in fanservice.

So I think about it, I really think about it. There's four characters from things I've played that I would really, really like to see in Smash: Banjo, Isaac from Golden Sun, our boy Geno, and Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia. I figure, I'm already pretty ecstatic with the roster. 4's was great, and Ultimate not only returned all the characters, but added a real winner for me in K. Rool. But even so, since the Smash team is going so far above and beyond, these characters are ones I'd really like to see. And then the Grinch shows up.

Hoo boy.

I'll say for the record that I always clung as hard as I could to thinking it was fake. Because I didn't think it made sense with what Sakurai had been saying, there were some small inconsistencies on the banner, and it just generally seemed too good to be true. But... man. I'd have literally died at that roster. It was really, really, REALLY good. It hit three of my four before we were even going into DLC! Though in the end, we all know how it turned out. I got Banjo eventually, which was absolutely fantastic, and he's basically everything I hoped he'd be. And I got Joker, from a series that I am quite a fan of. The prospects for some of my boys (Isaac) are worse than others, but even if none of those three make it in the rest of the way you won't hear a complaint about the roster from me. It's amazing.

So now the friends of mine who were brought together not really by Brawl speculation, more like Brawl ****posts, but more or less grew up alongside it, waste away hours of our free time pondering at who might show up in the game, and of course playing it with each other and getting unreasonably into it. As I've grown older and had more responsibilities thrust upon me by life, Smash is the one thing that still really makes me feel like a kid. Which is why, in the near future, I might be caught on a hot mic screaming overjoyed nonsense at the reveal of a certain puppet being playable in my favorite game.

It's a great ride, and I'm pleased to share it with fans all over. Celebrating with the Banjo thread was a joy and I'm looking forward with the hope of doing it here, too.

Plank08

Smash Lord

link2702

Smash Champion
This is a point I'd like to laborate on because there may be some that haven't considered it yet. Seeing mega man revealed in smash 4 was by far the hypest moment in smash for up to now, it single-handedly sold me the game despite having the weakest case of newcomers ever imo. But when I finally got my hands in him I was dismayed to find that I just didn't gel with him at all. He just felt completely awful to play and until the cheesy infinites were discovered it seems I wasn't alone in that. If they hadn't fixed cap back after trashing him in brawl I probably would have forgotten about that game altogether. Luckily megaman went through some drastic buffs to almost every single one of his moves and his new ultimate version plays exactly how I always hoped it would since seeing him in action that e3 all those years ago. The point of this story is that I'm terrified I'm going to go through the exact same thing with geno and seeing how ridley and especially k rool turned out have only intensified that fear. Granted the team have been a lot more willing to work with bad characters in meaningful ways this time and so far dlc has been mid tier at worst, but I technically did have it happen again with hero as I was really hyped to play solo in smash but his moves are so laggy and punishable your forced into a extremely unconventional method of attack by just exploiting a few cheesy moves to keep up that just feels really off. Maybe it will end up fine and it probably will but until it does I'm going to have that in the back of my mind.
I’ve thought about this constantly. My worst fear(next to him never getting in) was always that he very well could be so unfun to play as for me that I simply couldn’t use him.

However...I’m also of the mentality that if he gets in, i WILL force myself to learn to use him effectively and make him my dedicated main no matter what. Even if his playstyle goes completely against the type I enjoy to play. I’ve waited for over a decade to see geno return, if he gets in, nothing will stop me from being a solo geno main. Idc if his playstyle doesn’t feel good to me, if he’s the worst character in the game at the bottom of the tier lists, or even if he’s considered the absolute best by a wide margin and there’s a stigma around that “you’re just a top tier ***** for picking geno”

If geno gets in, he’ll be my main, period. All my time training my ganon, optimizing him to the best of my ability, will all go to the trash, as I’ll never pick him or anyone else again slightly exaggerating...

RingJ5

Smash Ace
With all these nice questions, here’s a... different one, a bit of a hypothetical: Geno gets in tomorrow, but he comes with a negative permanent change to the game as a whole. Which of the following changes would you be able to stand for instant Geno?

1. Tripping returns, and occurs about twice as often as in Brawl.

2. It is now mandatory to play with all items on.

3. Final Smash Meter is always on.

Out of those, I think I’d have to pick #1 just because of how much I’m not a fan of the meter, but it’s incredibly close.

link2702

Smash Champion
I’d take fs meter, as I never want to see random tripping ever again so long as I’m alive and smash exists.

So yes I’d rather put up with the surge of zeldas all over the place than deal with tripping or forced items.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So what if the "Number 6" theory not only accounts for the companies that are still missing costumes from Smash 4, but companies that don't have a Mii costume yet or at least one as well? Like for example: Konami only has Goemon and Toby Fox has Sans. What if there are 5 more Konami and 5 Indie costumes coming along with a Konami a rep and a Indie rep in the future?

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I like a lot of things about this moveset, especially the recovery, but i feel like it’s too many physical attacks, I kind of want to make my own Geno Moveset, and combine everything I like about the geno movesets I’ve seen, and combine them into a perfect Geno Moveset for me.(hey that rhymed)
Thanks man. Not sure what you mean by there being too many physical attacks, most of them are ranged projectiles or heavily disjointed and most of them are for his tilts.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Well, who would the indie rep be? The Knight? Freddy? Reimu?
Also permanent FS meter is my choice. Doesn't kill the game like the other two

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
So what if the "Number 6" theory not only accounts for the companies that are still missing costumes from Smash 4, but companies that don't have a Mii costume yet or at least one as well? Like for example: Konami only has Goemon and Toby Fox has Sans. What if there are 5 more Konami and 5 Indie costumes coming along with a Konami a rep and a Indie rep in the future?
That Would be Insane to possibly be true, but i find it super unlikely for Konami to have more costumes. Heck, i don't even know what they have for costume ideas for mii's.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
With all these nice questions, here’s a... different one, a bit of a hypothetical: Geno gets in tomorrow, but he comes with a negative permanent change to the game as a whole. Which of the following changes would you be able to stand for instant Geno?

1. Tripping returns, and occurs about twice as often as in Brawl.

2. It is now mandatory to play with all items on.

3. Final Smash Meter is always on.

Out of those, I think I’d have to pick #1 just because of how much I’m not a fan of the meter, but it’s incredibly close.
3 easy, supers could eventually get toned down to how they are in other fighters with enough fan outcry but 1 and 2 would make the game completely unplayable.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That Would be Insane to possibly be true, but i find it super unlikely for Konami to have more costumes. Heck, i don't even know what they have for costume ideas for mii's.
They could do some stuff like:

Metal Gear
Castlevania
Contra
Silent Hill
Frogger (Even that's even possible to make as a Mii costume)

But yeah since Goemon is out, if we do get another Konami rep, will have to be either a Contra rep, Silent Hill rep, or Frogger.

Well, who would the indie rep be? The Knight? Freddy? Reimu?
Also permanent FS meter is my choice. Doesn't kill the game like the other two
Reimu, Shantae, or Quote I suppose.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
They could do some stuff like:

Metal Gear
Castlevania
Contra
Silent Hill
Frogger (Even that's even possible to make as a Mii costume)

But yeah since Goemon is out, if we do get another Konami rep, will have to ve either a Contra rep, Silent Hill rep, or Frogger.
Right, i wasn't thinking of ideas as to why i couldn't say what series they should use but i had Metal Gear and Castlevania in mind.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Thanks man. Not sure what you mean by there being too many physical attacks, most of them are ranged projectiles or heavily disjointed and most of them are for his tilts.
I’m talking about the tilts mostly, I feel that Geno would be more likely to use shorter range versions of his moves instead of punches and kicks

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I like a lot of things about this moveset, especially the recovery, but i feel like it’s too many physical attacks, I kind of want to make my own Geno Moveset, and combine everything I like about the geno movesets I’ve seen, and combine them into a perfect Geno Moveset for me.(hey that rhymed)
You definitely should, I’ve found moveset making to be surprisingly fun

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In a perfect world the third Konami rep would be Bomberman
Technically, Bomberman would be a Hudson Soft rep since he was their mascot before they died out. Konami may own him now, but I agree with you about Bomberman being a globally bigger figure then Goemon. Goemon is only iconic in Japan and is niche everywhere else in the world which, pains me too admit that as if you couldn't tell from my avatar I'm a HUGE Goemon fanboy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom