• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Once Geno gets in, I’m definitely making an arena on this thread so we can all battle each other as our Beloved Geno
I’ve been considering making a Master Chief moveset to win some of the people on the thread over, but idk if I should go with a gimmicky one based on weapons drops and switching or a straight forward one (grenades, jet pac, two~three guns and definitely energy sword on side smash)
I think you should do weapon swapping, and one moveset I saw had the gimmick of the Chief having an Energy shield meter, and while it’s on, he takes way less damage and knock back, but once he takes enough damage and the meter is gone, he takes more damage and knock back than any other character, and you ha be to wait for it to get refilled
Master Chief and Doomslayer could be very different

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
Once Geno gets in, I’m definitely making an arena on this thread so we can all battle each other as our Beloved Geno

I think you should do weapon swapping, and one moveset I saw had the gimmick of the Chief having an Energy shield meter, and while it’s on, he takes way less damage and knock back, but once he takes enough damage and the meter is gone, he takes more damage and knock back than any other character, and you ha be to wait for it to get refilled
Master Chief and Doomslayer could be very different
I’m totally down to play when that happens!

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Please don't taint Smash. It's literally the definition of a good game in an age of garbage.
You seriously need to expand your gaming horizons if Smash is one of the only games you consider worthwhile in recent years. Hell, it seems like a great game releases every other week for this year alone.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Phew, all caught up with the thread after the last couple days.

So I just wanted to say that I am sorry that one person came in here and was kinda sorta taking a dump on Geno. (Or, if you don't want to call it that... the person, at the very least, was being a bit tone-deaf saying what they were saying in a thread supporting GENO.)

As people who have read my perspective on this topic multiple times should know, I have never played Super Mario RPG (I intend to soon though), I have no personal connection to the Geno, and I still have characters I want in Smash. But due to the roster being so huge with so many great characters already, I have given my support to this thread because I truly want you guys to get your wooden doll (as he is the most popular, longstanding character in the hardcore Smash fanbase not playable yet). I truly do think he has a chance to get in soon (not as Fighter #5 though). There are some "interesting" people in this thread to say the least, sometimes they make being in here a headache... but I truly enjoyed seeing people gush about why they want Geno. As someone who has no connection to him, those posts are the kind of thing that warms my heart. There are characters I don't know who got into Smash, but once I looked into their history and saw how happy they made people, well, I was happy! (And no, that doesn't mean I'll accept anything Sakurai throws at me. The game isn't perfect, obviously.)

In short, I'm really sorry that happened. But I suppose there was a silver lining to that since it brought out such great discussion for the most part! I am no insider, but based off of everything that has been going on regarding Geno's chances in Smash (according to Fatmanonice), I think you guys just need to be patient for a little bit longer. Hang in there!

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
You know, I actually had a Geno dream not long ago. They were revealing the last Ultimate character, and they had all of these star and doll references throughout the presentation, and even a few children's drawings of Geno, I think. ...And then Sakurai announced that the last character would be a tall, purple haired robot girl with transparent legs called GoGoRo. And in the dream I thought something like 'but she's from a manga, not a game', and then I went outside and people were actually rioting, smashing car windows with sledgehammers.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
You know, I actually had a Geno dream not long ago. They were revealing the last Ultimate character, and they had all of these star and doll references throughout the presentation, and even a few children's drawings of Geno, I think. ...And then Sakurai announced that the last character would be a tall, purple haired robot girl with transparent legs called GoGoRo. And in the dream I thought something like 'but she's from a manga, not a game', and then I went outside and people were actually rioting, smashing car windows with sledgehammers.
They were just mad he went with such an obvious choice most likely.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I had a more ordinary Sakurai dream, once, too, but that was a while back. He just came over to my house to play Smash, but then when it was time for him to leave, I wanted to take a picture with him, and that was when my phone's touchscreen decided to stop working so neither of us could take the picture.

..You'll notice a bit of a theme in how my dreams tend to end.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
I had a more ordinary Sakurai dream, once, too, but that was a while back. He just came over to my house to play Smash, but then when it was time for him to leave, I wanted to take a picture with him, and that was when my phone's touchscreen decided to stop working so neither of us could take the picture.

..You'll notice a bit of a theme in how my dreams tend to end.
To be honest, the ending where you couldn't take a picture with Sakurai sounds more upsetting than the one in which people started rioting.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Just woke up from seeing Jin kazama get revealed as fighter 5. Neat gimmick of moving around like in tekken and banjos stage was apparently created in the process of getting this idea to work, but oh Lord was the internet not having this especially coming right of the heels of Terry, the character presentation was actually done with Harada playing and talking with Sakurai because aparently he got directly involved in the design and they made Jin as accurate to his home game as possible which while neat to look at unfortunately made him the most complicated one of the bunch to play by far and honestly looked basically unusable without actually being good at tekken which I imagine almost the entirely of the smash consumer base would not be so that just the whole situation even worse. People raised a massive stink and a movement to get Nintendo to allow for refunds for the pass had started but didn't end up changing anything. At the very least we finally got to see all the stages from different camera angles and the team actually had to redesign most of them because the backgrounds did not look glamorous from any other angle as we were shown in the video after they booted up an older build.

I'll be honest I'm pretty relieved to wake up and find out that it wasn't real I wasn't exactly happy with the situation myself. At least it was interesting to see what free camera smash would be like.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Just woke up from seeing Jin kazama get revealed as fighter 5. Neat gimmick of moving around like in tekken and banjos stage was apparently created in the process of getting this idea to work, but oh Lord was the internet not having this especially coming right of the heels of Terry, the character presentation was actually done with Harada playing and talking with Sakurai because aparently he got directly involved in the design and they made Jin as accurate to his home game as possible which while neat to look at unfortunately made him the most complicated one of the bunch to play by far and honestly looked basically unusable without actually being good at tekken which I imagine almost the entirely of the smash consumer base would not be so that just the whole situation even worse. People raised a massive stink and a movement to get Nintendo to allow for refunds for the pass had started but didn't end up changing anything. At the very least we finally got to see all the stages from different camera angles and the team actually had to redesign most of them because the backgrounds did not look glamorous from any other angle as we were shown in the video after the booted up an older build.

I'll be honest I'm pretty relieved to wake up and find out that it wasn't real I wasn't exactly happy with the situation myself. At least it was interesting to see what free camera smash would be like.
lhxO8Sg.gif

Although Jin Kazama would be much better than Heihachi because his Devil gene could allow him to be more unique.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
View attachment 247016

Although Jin Kazama would be much better than Heihachi because his Devil gene could allow him to be more unique.
Yeah Jin sprouting wings and shooting eye lasers would definitely make a more interesting character than just an old man electro-punching. Sakurai always seems to go for a franchise’s main character, but at this point who IS the main character in Tekken? Jin was the protagonist for a little while there but I don’t know where it stands anymore

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
..Has anyone ever discussed the possibility of a Warriors rep getting into Smash?
That’d be a Koei/Tecmo rep so I wouldn’t expect them to pick that over Hayabusa. Also aren’t the main Dynasty Warriors characters based off of like real historical figures or something?

D

Deleted member

Imagine unironically thinking that Doomguy would be a Mii costume. That's like making Hero a Mii Costume.
He's getting in as a fighter or none at all. He is NOT a Sans 2.0 You seriously can't compare Toby to a huge company like Bethesda.

Griselda

Smash Lord
That’d be a Koei/Tecmo rep so I wouldn’t expect them to pick that over Hayabusa. Also aren’t the main Dynasty Warriors characters based off of like real historical figures or something?
Technically, yes, but they're so exaggerated and nothing like their historical counterparts in personality or appearance that they're basically just people with the same names. It's a similar case to Goemon, who got in as a mii costume.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Yeah Jin sprouting wings and shooting eye lasers would definitely make a more interesting character than just an old man electro-punching. Sakurai always seems to go for a franchise’s main character, but at this point who IS the main character in Tekken? Jin was the protagonist for a little while there but I don’t know where it stands anymore
I'm not too familiar with Tekken's plot, but from what I've gathered, the "main character" was Kazuya Mishima for a few games, with Heihachi as the main antagonist. Then Kazuya shifted over to an antagonist role (while still being enemies with Heihachi), with Jin taking on the protagonist role starting with Tekken 3 before starting to fall into the same antagonist-shift again like Kazuya.

Honestly, Kazuya and Heihachi are the most likely Tekken characters to be in Smash, just based on being series mainstays since the first game. If you think the Devil Gene form and attacks would be absolutely essential for an interesting moveset (which I don't), Kazuya also has had those abilities since Tekken 2.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Technically, yes, but they're so exaggerated and nothing like their historical counterparts in personality or appearance that they're basically just people with the same names. It's a similar case to Goemon, who got in as a mii costume.
... My face when I realize that Goemon is named after a real person:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think the general consensus is that Jin Kazama is the protagonist overall since most of the canonical story has revolved around him since Tekken 3.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Remember when Fatman said a series not represented in Smash that was first party? Correct me if I'm wrong.
I know he said it wouldn't be anything recent but has anybody thought about Dragaux from Ring Fit Adventure as a playable character yet? The game is doing super well, so it'd make sense to capitalize on it.

They could also do Codename S.T.E.A.M, especially since Goemon is based off a real person, you could always do Tom Sawyer(?) I know he technically isn't a real person but still, it could work(?)

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I'm not too familiar with Tekken's plot, but from what I've gathered, the "main character" was Kazuya Mishima for a few games, with Heihachi as the main antagonist. Then Kazuya shifted over to an antagonist role (while still being enemies with Heihachi), with Jin taking on the protagonist role starting with Tekken 3 before starting to fall into the same antagonist-shift again like Kazuya.

Honestly, Kazuya and Heihachi are the most likely Tekken characters to be in Smash, just based on being series mainstays since the first game. If you think the Devil Gene form and attacks would be absolutely essential for an interesting moveset (which I don't), Kazuya also has had those abilities since Tekken 2.
Oh, I’m not saying that Devil Gene stuff is required to make an interesting character, I just feel like it’d be more interesting to me personally. Honestly kinda surprised that Kazuya hasn’t really been mentioned until now, he’s the one typically front and center in marketing and box art isn’t he?

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
..Has anyone ever discussed the possibility of a Warriors rep getting into Smash?
We could always see a Hyrule Warrior exclusive character like Lana or Linkle that could represent both the Zelda and Warrior series without using historical figures.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
... My face when I realize that Goemon is named after a real person:
That's the majesty of the Mystical Ninja/Ganbare Goemon series! I remember too finding out back then that Goemon was based-off of the real-life folkloric figure of Ishikawa Goemon. Not only did it gave Goemon's character more weight, but made sense also some of his moves, and overall role within the Ganbare Goemon series (him attacking using Ryo coins, as well as using a pipe as a weapon). A few weeks ago, the very first Goemon game was released onto the Nintendo eShop, and in that game, Goemon more closely resembles the character from folklore.

When I saw Goemon's Mii Costume revealed during Banjo's presentation, I felt both glad and bitter. On one side I felt glad because we finally got Goemon in Smash (in some way), yet on the other hand I felt bummed out because him being a Mii Costume sort of lowers his chances for potentially being a DLC fighter down the road. The Mystical Ninja/Ganbare Goemon franchise, although not widely known in the west, is a long-running franchise in Japan, dating back to the Arcade era, NES, with a good number of game releases (NES, SNES, N64, DS, PS, PS2). I'm still hoping Konami comes through and puts the franchise back into the spotlight.

Griselda

Smash Lord
We could always see a Hyrule Warrior exclusive character like Lana or Linkle that could represent both the Zelda and Warrior series without using historical figures.
Linkle might be nice, but Nintendo seems to be firmly set on keeping Hyrule Warriors content exclusive to Hyrule Warriors. I think, though, if any Hyrule Warriors character got in it'd be Volga. He's got surface potential that Sakurai wouldn't even have to get creative with, and turning into a dragon and bodyslamming an opponent just screams Final Smash. I feel people might complain that Linkle would just be 'another Link' even though she doesn't fight anything like he does. And isn't even intended to be a Link even in the game, where she's just someone with a similar name.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
My take is if they would plan to add Volga, they might as well go the extra step, talk to Square and add Kain Highwind instead.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
My Smash dreams were always very vague, but I’m continually haunted by a short clip of Flint landing on Isaac’s shoulder followed by a splash screen.

Btw my Chief moveset is coming along well, the text part is nearly done but it’ll take awhile to get the visuals

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Here’s a Super Mario RPG question that’s been bugging me.

https://www.mariowiki.com/images/5/54/Mack_SMRPG.png

Is Mack the little guy riding the knife or is he the knife?
Yes.
... okay but in all seriousness, I don't think we'll ever know for sure, but if you were to ask me, I'd say that Mack is the knife itself and the little rider guy is just a part of his body. I mean, his eyes are right there on the top of the guard, plus the shine on the "head" extends onto the "eye hole" in this image, implying that it's not an eye hole at all.

link2702

Smash Champion
Since we’re now on the topic of game related dreams, i had a really weird one a couple nights ago...

Started off with seeing mario guiding many game characters through what could only be described as a mix of fallout’s wasteland, and WoW’s blasted lands fleeing from something, mario finds some sort of protective armor in a chest along the way. They end up at a deserted mansion similar to RE’s. It cuts away from that to some character (couldn’t make out who, possibly Geralt from witcher 3) having to fight the old original 2d dk, with only a sword in front of an area that looked like an 1800s abandoned southern mansion. However in undertale like fashion The character was Able to spare him by talking to him. But doing that would mean They’d go into the building there which was occupied by...Golden Freddy.

It switches back to an area on a highway similar to ones in fallout....

Annnnd then i woke up, wondering just what the hell i did to have a dream that weird.

Possibly been because I’ve been playing a lot of fallout games and witcher 3 lately, as well as WoW classic. Still it was one hell of a weird dream...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom