• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Mii Costumes take that much time to get considering that we have more third party Mii Costume than we do third party fighters. We even got Mii Costumes of series never represented in Smash Bros. It is entirely in the realm of possibility that Sakurai went to Bethesda just to get two Mii Costume. This is the guy who went and got Bomberman as an Assist Trophy.

Also you say they won't show off a Mii Costume from a brand new company that doesn't have a playable rep, but yet we keep forgetting Sans was shown with Banjo. New Company shown with an unrelated Fighter. Doesn't matter if it's a indie character it still happened.

Ok but here is my question to you wynn. What mii dlc mii has been added that is not from a company represented in smash? Not series but COMPANY. Also Banjo probably did not get miis for banjo because of x box. Also sans is not that hard to add in so dont you dare metion him cus he does not count. Also bomberman is owned by konami who is supporting the game. So it was not that big of a deal to get him in as a At.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Also you say they won't show off a Mii Costume from a brand new company that doesn't have a playable rep, but yet we keep forgetting Sans was shown with Banjo. New Company shown with an unrelated Fighter. Doesn't matter if it's a indie character it still happened.
TOBY FOX IS NOT A ****ING COMPANY YOU RUBE.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Imagine Geno coming with the following Mii Costumes:

- Mallow (at this point its expected due to the "leaks")
- Smithy (maybe if Mii Costume list is legit)
- Crono (with Corridors of Time remix... PLS!!!)
- Chocobo Hat
- Geno (I think it's likely that Geno could come along with his Mii Costume as well)
- Cecil Harvey (Paladin version or Dark Knight version)

:nifty:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Sans came as a standalone costume because it was almost certainly never in the cards for Undertale to receive anything else. He was a special exception from the start, which is also probably why his costume is so high quality - they knew it'd be the only Undertale representation besides the music and went all in with it.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I don't think Mii Costumes take that much time to get considering that we have more third party Mii Costume than we do third party fighters. We even got Mii Costumes of series never represented in Smash Bros. It is entirely in the realm of possibility that Sakurai went to Bethesda just to get two Mii Costume. This is the guy who went and got Bomberman as an Assist Trophy.

Yeah but

1. Hudson was bought by Konami, so they own Bomberman now.

2. Toby Fox is pretty much a one man company as well as a personal friend of Sakurai

3. The time investment of negotiation with Bethesda would not be worth two 75 cent mii costumes, with one being a generic enemy that would naturally sell worse than someone like Dovakhin or the Power Armor from Fallout

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

- Chocobo Hat
- Geno (I think it's likely that Geno could come along with his Mii Costume as well)

I hadn't thought about it, but Crono and Cecil costumes coming with Geno would make sense, since they're both from prominent Square SNES RPGs. Otherwise it could be Bartz or Terra, I suppose.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
This is really touching. Thank you.

Again, I like being honest with all of you. I value this community a lot and that's always been the case. I... I just have some worries on my end. People like Psycho and KCChief have literally been supportive since the very beginning when I made the Geno support thread on Nsider in 2005. They were there during "Operation: Star of Heaven" and helped create the 128 page portfolio (half English, half (half assed) Japanese) I took to Nintendo of Japan in the summer of 2006. (Also, no, I didn't go to Japan for the sole sake of Geno. It was a high school graduation gift to myself using 2 years of restaurant tips and the timing was serendipitous and we got a wild hare up our asses and decided to go for broke when Sakurai announced the Brawl poll at E3 06). It was exhilarating going online while I was in hotels in Osaka, Kyoto, and Tokyo and giving the Geno fanbase updates and seeing other websites and fanbases gush about it and saying things like "dude, this guy flew to Japan to get Geno in Smash; how can we top that?" People were inspired... By me. Weird little (abnormally tall) me. I felt like I was making a difference.

When I came back, suddenly tons of people cared about what I had to say. Suddenly people were taking Geno seriously as a character. People listened to my theories and even defended me. I never really had that before. Of course, Geno wasn't in Brawl in the end. I looked like a fool and all the lengthy theories I had seemingly turned to dust. Again, I was back to being a weird guy who was excitable and felt like a crazy person who screams at traffic from the sidewalk. You can go back and look at my posts from that time period and see, no, I didn't handle very well (or maturely) but could anyone really blame me? Of course, the fall out caused me to be a bitter ******* during Smash 4. The Geno fanbase was still going but I found myself scolding fans for their optimistism like @kiteinthesky and even PapaGenos before he became a monolith in the Smash fanbase. I was kind of a **** and I'm sorry...

Of course, in my heart of hearts, I still wanted Geno. Geno the kitten and now the 5 year old cat is a literally a daily reminder of how much not only this but this fanbase means to me and how I don't want to let anybody down. So, the Geno Mii costume came out for Smash 4 and it was somewhat of a relief. It was some degree of acknowledgement after years of work so it was better than nothing. Psycho even messaged me to ask if I was okay and I've kept the message on my wall to remind myself of what a stand-up guy he is and how he kept the Geno fanbase going when I bowed out and tried to bury myself in self loathing. A little bit of time passed and then the Nintendo World column by Sakurai came out in early 2016.

I was blown away... Sakurai liked Geno?! Sakurai acknowledged his fanbase?! Sakurai not only strongly considered Geno for Brawl but actually tried to get him in?!?! My theories were right... All of them... I wasn't crazy... I think I actually cried reading that article because all the hurt and blame and loathing I had felt for making Geno "a meme" just sort of evaporated. Sakurai had heard us. It hadn't been a total waste of time...

Fast forward and I think you all know my story for Ultimate. More drum banging. Seven Squares. Grinch. Sabi. Meeting the NoA source. Brave. Learning about Banjo 2 months in advance. Mii costume missing. Additional DLC announcement. It's been a wild ride and I'm happy to have gone on it with all of you. Just... Thank you. Thank you for listening to me and giving me a place online that I can call home and have been able to for nearly half my life. It's no small exaggeration that it means the world to me and, whatever, the outcome, I'm just happy to have gone through it with all of you. Thank you.
You know what, once Geno gets in this game and I buy a Switch and play as him to get a bit of an idea on how to play him, my next goal is to play a first to ten with Fatman. Win or lose, doesn't matter, just to enjoy having the character I wanted with someone who is my senior in general age, playing my favorite game, being a Geno supporter and showing that support.

I don't think it would be complete without that. I don't care if I have to wait in line, I'll wait. It's one of those things that just matters more than others.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Ok but here is my question to you wynn. What mii dlc has been added that is not from a company represented in smash? Not series but COMPANY. Also Banjo probably did not get miis for banjo because of x box. Also sans is not that hard to add in so dont you dare metion him cus he does not count. Also bomberman is owned by konami who is supporting the game. So it was not that big of a deal to get him in as a At.
So we're going to use the who "it never happen before argument," right? Just because we don't have a situation occur doesn't mean it can never happen. Way way back we had argument of whether two characters can be added in from a third party series. While I can't give a situation of something like happening doesn't mean we should write that scenario off completely and put all chips of Doomguy 100% getting in.
TOBY FOX IS NOT A ****ING COMPANY YOU RUBE.
I bloody know that, but he's still holds the rights of a character in the same way as a company holds the right of a character.

link2702

Smash Champion
You know after what vector said, it does make me wonder just WHO could possibly be the final character? Whoever it is does in fact have to be earth shattering and/or something everyone agrees on, but who on earth would that be?

The only thing for certain is that they’ll get hate no matter what.

I wonder though...what if sakurai does something really crazy and makes Iwata actually playable as one final tribute to him? Not a mii fighter, but a full fledged character in smash. Could people really hate the final dlc character if it was purely a tribute to Iwata? (....probably unfortunately)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I bloody know that, but he's still holds the rights of a character in the same way as a company holds the right of a character.
Toby Fox is one man, who personally went to Sakurai’s house and played Smash with him. That’s not comparable to what Sakurai would have to do for Doom stuff at all.

Last edited:

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
So we're going to use the who "it never happen before argument," right? Just because we don't have a situation occur doesn't mean it can never happen. Way way back we had argument of whether two characters can be added in from a third party series. While I can't give a situation of something like happening doesn't mean we should write that scenario off completely and put all chips of Doomguy 100% getting in.

This coming from the guy that always says spirits deconfrim every time he gets the chance. Just because something is possible doesn't not mean it is the one of the most likely out come.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Now this certainly is a curious Tournament.
https://nintendosoup.com/famitsu-an...nament-for-corporations-starts-november-22nd/

A Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Tournament for Corporations. Hmm...
"The tournament’s format will be tag matches, with each company sending two representatives to form a team."

Oh my god I can't believe we're getting Doom Marine and Dovahkiin for Bethesda.

Phoenix Wright and Jill Valentine for Capcom.

Geno and Sora for Square-Enix.

Heihachi and Lloyd for Namco.

etc. etc. :4pacman:

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
You know after what vector said, it does make me wonder just WHO could possibly be the final character? Whoever it is does in fact have to be earth shattering and/or something everyone agrees on, but who on earth would that be?

I wonder though...what if sakurai does something really crazy and makes Iwata actually playable as one final tribute to him? Not a mii fighter, but a full fledged character in smash. Could people really hate the final dlc character if it was purely a tribute to Iwata? (....probably unfortunately)
I can see it now.
"You can't have Iwata in smash! He's not even a video game character!"

Still, as someone who's kind of against non video game characters (I'll let you guess who I mean here), I'd be totally happy with Iwata being the final one, however likely or unlikely that might be. The man helped make smash what it is today after all, so given that he's been so closely associated with video games to begin with, I think he'd be an obvious exception to that "non video game character rule" (as I'm officially dubbing it. Totally official now. Anime deconfirmed boys).
Point is, he'd deserve a spot.

Last edited:

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice

- Chocobo Hat

A Crono mii costume? With a Chrono Trigger remix???
Yes please.
I haven't been spending the cash on many mii costumes, but that. That would be a priority.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
This coming from the guy that always says spirits deconfrim every time he gets the chance. Just because something is possible doesn't not mean it is the one of the most likely out come.
I said Spirits are only deconfirm for the Fighters Pass due to the fact that these characters had to be chosen back in early 2018, so they had to know what characters were coming when deciding Spirits. Especially when each Fighters Pass character brings their own Spirit. Future DLC is all on the table with Spirits being upgraded. But fine, I guess there zero reason arguing about this. Just know that I don't take any pleasure of thinking Doomguy is only being a Mii Costume, but I ain't going to believe that he's coming like the rest of you do.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I can see it now.
"You can't have Iwata in smash! He's not even a video game character!"

Still, as someone who's kind of against non video game characters (I'll let you guess who I mean here), I'd be totally happy with Iwata being the final one, however likely or unlikely that might be. The man helped make smash what it is today after all, so given that he's been so closely associated with video games to begin with, I think he'd be an obvious exception to that "non video game character rule" (as I'm officially dubbing it. Totally official now. Anime deconfirmed boys).
Point is, he'd deserve a spot.
He'd be worthy of the exception, of course, but I personally wouldn't really feel all that comfortable beating up a representation of Iwata.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
If Sakurai was going to do something like that it would have been in base. I have a hard time believing the corporate suits would ok something like that for paid dlc. Besides the idea was already soft answered when the Sakurai/Miyamoto/Iwata/Reggie thing happened a few years back and I'd imagine his answer would still be the same.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
What I find curious about the tournament is the people that will be participating in it. Representatives from participating corporations; and the teams that win will have their Corporation sponsored by Famitsu. Hmm... now I'm curious to know which Corporations will be sending their reps to participate. :nifty:

Wait... wait a minute...

What if the participants... end up being some certain individuals we've seen frequently in events such as E3, EVO, TGS and such? Like say...

Representing (examples)

Katushiro Harada, and special guest Hideo Yoshizawa ;)

Hideaki Itsuno, and Yoshinori Ono

Toshihiro Nagoshi, and Takashi Iizuka (not the retired professional wrestler :glare:)

MisterMike

Smash Champion
But he's still only a man, so negotiations would be signifigantly easier than with a whole company. To wit, the dude played Sakurai at his own game in his own house. Can't get any closer than that, really.

D

Deleted member

Tournament for Corperations huh? Hmm? Don't know if it's anything but hope they have fun. It'll be nice to see Mashpotatoe Samurai joking with all the directors and just having a fun time playing the game. For example maybe we get something.

But I doubt it.

Grumbo

Smash Ace

(Opens on shot of stars)
ooooooooaaaaaaoooooooaaaaaoooooooaaaaOOoooo

(Pans over to a Halo)
OOOOOOOOAOOOOOOO OOOOO OOO
OOOOOO

(Chief is holding his helmet to the side)
DUNNN NA NA NAAAAAAA
DUNNN NA NA NAAAAAAA
DUNNN NA NA NAAAAAAA
NAAA NAAA NAAA

(Cortana makes some quip about smash)
*violin solo*

Now this certainly is a curious Tournament.
https://nintendosoup.com/famitsu-an...nament-for-corporations-starts-november-22nd/

A Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Tournament for Corporations. Hmm...
What if whoever wins gets their character in the game lol. It’d be especially interesting if they invite western companies like Activision or Bethesda

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
(Opens on shot of stars)

(Pans over to a Halo)
OOOOOO

DUNNN NA NA NAAAAAAA
DUNNN NA NA NAAAAAAA
DUNNN NA NA NAAAAAAA
NAAA NAAA NAAA

*violin solo*

What if whoever wins gets their character in the game lol. It’d be especially interesting if they invite western companies like Activision or Bethesda
Todd Howard being in Smash would be amazing, as we all know what we'll get for his stage map

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
(Opens on shot of stars)

(Pans over to a Halo)
OOOOOO

DUNNN NA NA NAAAAAAA
DUNNN NA NA NAAAAAAA
DUNNN NA NA NAAAAAAA
NAAA NAAA NAAA

*violin solo*
And that's when we get gameplay of a master chief mii costume!
...Before it gets hit by a sticky grenade.
Assuming that would even make it in to the his moveset.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anyways yeah I don't expect there to be anything revealed at that tournament thing as they've never revealed anything at tournaments except that there was going to be an August direct last year and base game vs. DLC is way different.

DLC has a much stricter release and announcement window while base game you can reveal something at pretty much any big event. E3, EVO, Directs you name it they could reveal something there yet that's not the case for DLC. I don't expect anything to come out of this and at most (even this is a stretch) they'll reveal that they'll reveal something at the game awards like last year.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Please don't taint Smash. It's literally the definition of a good game in an age of garbage.
I agree that there isn't as many good games out today, but not everything is trash nowadays y'know. There is still a lot of good games to try out today.

By the way, have we passed the Smash 4 Ridley thread yet? Feels like we have.
No, we still got 181 pages to go.

Edit: Please come and merge this post with the other one mods.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
And that's when we get gameplay of a master chief mii costume!
...Before it gets hit by a sticky grenade.
Assuming that would even make it in to the his moveset.
I’ve been considering making a Master Chief moveset to win some of the people on the thread over, but idk if I should go with a gimmicky one based on weapons drops and switching or a straight forward one (grenades, jet pac, two~three guns and definitely energy sword on side smash)

Last edited:

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice

Someone made the point earlier (either in this thread or in the Newcomer thread) that none of the Smash games have ended on large jaw dropping character so we should expect roughly the same with SSBU. SSB64 had Jigglypuff, SSBM had G&W, SSBB had ROB, Sm4sh had Duck Hunt for base to end on and Corrin to end the DLC on (also keep in mind the base Ultimate roster was going to end with Piranha Plant). We can't use, "this is Sakrurai's last game" as a note either since both Melee and Brawl was intended to be his last Smash game as well but due to specific circumstances, he ended up sticking around to make more. I don't think either FP5 (the original planned ending for DLC) or the true last DLC will be anything special but I may be wrong on the true final DLC character after reading some of Fatman's speculation on potentially Sora getting added since that would be a pretty big deal. Outside of that though, I could see them end with a pretty lack luster (but fun to play) first party character as the final DLC since that has been a trend amongst each Smash game.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
I’ve been considering making a Master Chief moveset to win some of the people on the thread over, but idk if I should go with a gimmicky one based on weapons drops and switching or a straight forward one (grenades, jet pac, two~three guns and definitely energy sword on side smash)
Another difficulty might come in the form of Doom Guy having a similar moveset in terms of weapon drops and gunplay (not saying they'd be one for one, just that there might be a bit of overlap), though I don't know much about Doom, and my knowledge of Halo and Master chief are horribly outdated.
Either way, I'm always down for moveset ideas, so go for it if you decide on anything concrete.
Though yeah, for sure, side special needs to be the energy sword. It'll be a good way to bring back horrible memories of my friends and I gunning for it and murdering everyone else, lol.

Someone made the point earlier (either in this thread or in the Newcomer thread) that none of the Smash games have ended on large jaw dropping character so we should expect roughly the same with SSBU. SSB64 had Jigglypuff, SSBM had G&W, SSBB had ROB, Sm4sh had Duck Hunt for base to end on and Corrin to end the DLC on (also keep in mind the base Ultimate roster was going to end with Piranha Plant). We can't use, "this is Sakrurai's last game" as a note either since both Melee and Brawl was intended to be his last Smash game as well but due to specific circumstances, he ended up sticking around to make more. I don't think either FP5 (the original planned ending for DLC) or the true last DLC will be anything special but I may be wrong on the true final DLC character after reading some of Fatman's speculation on potentially Sora getting added since that would be a pretty big deal. Outside of that though, I could see them end with a pretty lack luster (but fun to play) first party character as the final DLC since that has been a trend amongst each Smash game.
Now, I could very well be misunderstanding the order process for characters that most people use, but with Sm4sh, wouldn't we have ended the roster (DLC wise) with Bayonetta, the fighter ballot pick? That seems fairly climactic to me, seeing as she was one of the higher voted characters (#1 in Europe if I remember right). Not to say that I think Ultimate's final dlc character will be hugely exciting or anything either, but I WOULD consider Bayonetta a more jaw dropping pick.
Feel free to let me know if I'm misunderstanding though.

D

Deleted member

I would be happy if he got in Master Chief would be great. Plus the Internet would have a meltdown if he got in. Really enjoyed the Halo series from what little I've played. He's still Microsoft's mascot and still exclusive to Xbox systems. But man that'd be hype!

link2702

Smash Champion
The only reason I brought up Iwata is cuz ultimate is supposedly sakurai’s final promise to Iwata or something like that. That’s why this time things seem a bit different.

Mix this in with how many big names we’ve already gotten, and how many huge fan requests are left that might in fact be on sakurai’s radar, and it just feels like the last character in ultimate is gonna be something quite different from what we got in the past.

Like, imagine for a bit that BOTH geno AND sora get in, but neither are the final character? Who could we end on? Yeah it could follow the trend of past smash games and be underwhelming, but I just have this nagging feeling Nintendo doesn’t want to do that again...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If we're going to get a character to represent Iwata just put Balloon fighter in there. We didn't get a true retro character yet anyways so why not? Sure Villager's Up-B references the game but I'm sure Sakurai can do more than that for Balloon fighter proven by Piranha Plant.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
From this point on, let's all assume a fighter will be announced at anything Nintendo related, unless they state so. Like the deconfirmation of a reveal for Terry's showcase! :4pacman:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Another difficulty might come in the form of Doom Guy having a similar moveset in terms of weapon drops and gunplay (not saying they'd be one for one, just that there might be a bit of overlap), though I don't know much about Doom, and my knowledge of Halo and Master chief are horribly outdated.
Either way, I'm always down for moveset ideas, so go for it if you decide on anything concrete.
Though yeah, for sure, side special needs to be the energy sword. It'll be a good way to bring back horrible memories of my friends and I gunning for it and murdering everyone else, lol.
I think that if the weapons they use are different enough, and there’s a decent chunk of time (<6 months) the reaction to both wont be bad. They’re both beloved by many gaming circles so I think they’ll be fine.
I would be happy if he got in Master Chief would be great. Plus the Internet would have a meltdown if he got in. Really enjoyed the Halo series from what little I've played. He's still Microsoft's mascot and still exclusive to Xbox systems. But man that'd be hype!
I used to be a really stickler for the Nintendo relevancy argument but Cloud and later Joker kind kicked the legs out from under that table. Right now its only hanging by a thin thread, and I wouldnt be surprised if that’s fully cut eventually.

There were rumors of Reach and MCC coming to the switch eventually, so I really hope that’s the case. There’s also the minecraft skins but those don’t really count lol

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
I think that if the weapons they use are different enough, and there’s a decent chunk of time (<6 months) the reaction to both wont be bad. They’re both beloved by many gaming circles so I think they’ll be fine.

Agreed. I don't think it'd be an issue for them both getting in (should that be the case, which would be wild), just something to overcome when making a move set for them each. Hardly that much of a problem though, considering how much there's to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom