• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I just got the news that my friend from Madrid lost his grandmother at 4pm while she was watching TV.

I'm considering the idea of taking a small hiatus from the site until I overcome the news.
Definitely take that break, my guy. Here's hoping you feel better soon!

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I just got the news that my friend from Madrid lost his grandmother at 4pm while she was watching TV.

I'm considering the idea of taking a small hiatus from the site until I overcome the news.
I’m so sorry to hear that. Do what you gotta do, we’re not going anywhere.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
When you guys were in elementary school did they serve literal green eggs and ham for lunch in Dr Seuss’s birthday? As in, scrambled eggs with green food coloring and slices of ham that were NOT green (in defiance of clear Green Eggs and Ham canon)

D

Deleted member

When you guys were in elementary school did they serve literal green eggs and ham for lunch in Dr Seuss’s birthday? As in, scrambled eggs with green food coloring and slices of ham that were NOT green (in defiance of clear Green Eggs and Ham canon)
oh man we did that in kindergarten but only as a function of our class, not the whole school.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
THANK YOU!!

Just got flamed by some moron after I expressed my opinion on the situation. I said honestly that I didn't get the geno hype even after LOVING the game growing up. If you can't explain your position without actually having human decency then (imho) you should just not say anything.

After watching the video that Fatmanonice Fatmanonice posted and the op video... it seems it mostly just related to hype. I honestly don't get onto many "hype" trains so that's probably why I don't get it. I try to look at a character's relevance and ask myself if there's a good reason to have them in the game.

I'm NOT hear to bash a character... I'm just simply trying to understand why people request him and so far I don't have a satisfactory answer. In fact the video that Fatmanonice Fatmanonice posted had a (what looked like reddit) post of someone saying he didn't DESERVE to be in the game I pretty much agreed with everything the guy had to say.

Eh... oh well.
I agree with you to certain extent. Everyone has reasons why they want character A in. However, even Geno has reasons that are outside personal experiences that warrant his inclusion on the roster. Geno represents a part of the Mario series that is missing in smash. The mario series I would say can be broken down into 3 main genres. RPG, Adventure, and Party games(This includes their sport titles). Paper Mario would also be a good choice. However, we already have 2 marios, and I personally would rather see a Mario character whose design deviates from what we normally see.

If you're asking why so many people want this character in, its because the game sold really well in both Japan and the states. More people are probably aware of the character than you think.

Besides, regardless if character is relevant or not has never been a factor. Pit, Dr Mario,Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, Capt Falcon, Earthbound,etc.. ( The list goes on) Many of these characters weren't relevant at the time of their announcement. Smash just made them relevant. Geno at least comes from a title that sold well enough to merit a slot Id say.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
https://youtu.be/JLF2HdyYsiY

A thank you to Mr. Sakurai.

With all of this talk about DLC and our hopes and desires, let us not forget all Sakurai has done for us. Is SSBU perfect? No, as nothing is. But even if there are roster picks and decisions we don't like, let us all be thankful for what we DO have.

(And please... don't think Sakurai has contempt for you/hates your desires just because he doesn't do exactly what you want. Thank you.)

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I agree with you to certain extent. Everyone has reasons why they want character A in. However, even Geno has reasons that are outside personal experiences that warrant his inclusion on the roster. Geno represents a part of the Mario series that is missing in smash. The mario series I would say can be broken down into 3 main genres. RPG, Adventure, and Party games(This includes their sport titles). Paper Mario would also be a good choice. However, we already have 2 marios, and I personally would rather see a Mario character whose design deviates from what we normally see.

If you're asking why so many people want this character in, its because the game sold really well in both Japan and the states. More people are probably aware of the character than you think.

Besides, regardless if character is relevant or not has never been a factor. Pit, Dr Mario,Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, Capt Falcon, Earthbound,etc.. ( The list goes on) Many of these characters weren't relevant at the time of their announcement. Smash just made them relevant. Geno at least comes from a title that sold well enough to merit a slot Id say.
Quick discrepancy just because I see this misunderstanding often. Mother was relevant leading into Smash 64 since Earthbound 64 was a planned title, and Mother 3 dropped in Japan in 2006 just a few years before Brawl. It's easy to look at the game's retro art direction and think, oh yeah, that's an oldie. But it was fresh with installments for both Ness and Lucas.

Great points though. Pit is the perfect example of this.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
When I left the thread: Heartfelt and articulate discourse about Geno's importance

When I get back: Green Eggs and Ham
It's worth the hype. It's a classically animated G rated Trains, Planes, and Automobiles that's whimsical without being obnoxious, respects the original content, has adult jokes that are "adult" because they're smart and not dirty, and has actual character development and depth. It's something of a miracle, especially since it's a 13 episode season based on a children's book that only uses 50 words.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I absolutely love reading all these stories about Geno, it really warms my heart and gives me even more of an appreciation for him.

While I'm, like quite a few others in this thread, don't really have a personal connection with Mario RPG/Geno, I would absolutely love him in. His design looks sick, his moveset sounds really interesting, and the thing that mostly got me was the fan demand. Idk, like seeing all the support for a character like Geno who's only been in like two games getting all this support because they love him so much was so charming, especially seeing how the attention was noticed with his Smash 4 Mii costume. I remember watching Projared's Mario RPG playthrough back in November last year to get more of an idea who Geno is and what his game was and that definitely boosted my thoughts on Geno and his game.

Let's hope he comes in this next DLC batch. I'm pretty confident he will and it's going to be beautiful.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kinda off-topic but related to Mario.

The latest issue of the Super Mario Kun manga had some huge special guests due to the new Olympic Games of Tokyo:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, anyone thinks that something will happen next week regarding Smash Bros. Ultimate? If not, the week after?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, anyone thinks that something will happen next week regarding Smash Bros. Ultimate? If not, the week after?
Personally think if Nintendo's going to do literally anything this month, it will be next week. I don't think Nintendo has ever done a major presentation during Thanksgiving week because they're usually too busy horking things for Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Man a lot of you guys have really deep reasons for liking Geno. Thanks for sharing your stories. Ngl I teared up for a couple

I was born in 02, so I definitely wasnt around for the game’s release. I consider myself kinda an honorary 90s boomer since I spent a ton of time play games on the SNES and N64 as a kid, and I have a deep connection to a lot of those games (Banjo, Fzero, Pokemon Blue). When I started collecting myself one of the first games I spent a pretty penny on was Super Mario RPG (it was something ridiculous like 80 bucks).

Im one of those people who has a hard time completing games. If I get interupted in the middle of a playthrough, I usually just abandon the run. If I’m being honest there’s a lot of games I love that I havent finished, and unfortunately SMRPG is one of them. I think I got to around Boosters Tower. I have some time off soon so im gonna play through it asap.

When I did play though I never took Geno off my team. I really like Geno’s character design and his powers. He’d be a really good fit in smash and he really does deserve it. He represents the greater Mario universe and RPGs, as well as Nintendo and Square’s old friendship. And something else he’d represent is the golden era of SNES rpgs. We have Ness, but no one else. No Terra, no Crono, no Geno, etc. Those games were really important to me, and I’d love to see more in Smash.

Geno would also show just how much of an effect a loyal fandom can have. We’ve resurected a “one off side character from an irrelevant Mario game” and he’s probably about to be immortalized in the greatest cross over of all time. I know its a meme but I gotta say I am so proud of this community.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Personally think if Nintendo's going to do literally anything this month, it will be next week. I don't think Nintendo has ever done a major presentation during Thanksgiving week because they're usually too busy horking things for Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.
Well you heard it here first folks, DLC Fighters 6-17 confirmed to be announced alongside SMRPG HD, Metroid Prime 7, and Mother 3 in a Nintendo Direct on Sunday, as confirmed by prominent leaker Phetmon O’nice

T2by4

Smash Lord
PicsArt_11-15-03.47.25.jpg

Ken and Banj(o) (c)arrying Geno back to the Smash Ultimate roster after finishing the Great Grinch War of 2018. Circa 2020

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
When I did play though I never took Geno off my team.
The very, very first time I played through the game, I played with nothing but Mario, Bowser and Geno on my team. I wanted to have my bases loaded with nothing but badassery. The only fight I ever had to drop one of them was against Smithy himself because I just couldn't outheal his AOE's without Peach. I had to choose between Geno and Bowser because the game wouldn't let me drop Mario. At the time, I went with Bowser because I figured he had better tanking stats, but on my second playthrough I went with Geno instead and FECK that boi does some sweet damage. He may not take a hit like Bowser, but man oh man can he dish it out. I ended up killing Smithy twice as fast the second time because Geno straight-up broke his foot off in the ol' skull robot's ass. It was a thing of beauty.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Green eggs and ham but Sam I am is trying to get Guy to support Geno for smash.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
@JDCabrera I'm so sorry for your loss, buddy. I'm sure your friend is devastated, too, of course... I wish for the best as you both recover from this tragedy. :(

Today is just a day full of tears and love. We have our pitfalls, but I do genuinely love our community.

StarLight42

Smash Lord

Geno's voice is slightly better here than last time, maybe not as good as 2008 but definetely better

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I'm NOT hear to bash a character... I'm just simply trying to understand why people request him and so far I don't have a satisfactory answer. In fact the video that Fatmanonice Fatmanonice posted had a (what looked like reddit) post of someone saying he didn't DESERVE to be in the game I pretty much agreed with everything the guy had to say.

Eh... oh well.
On a basic level, I really want Geno because he would work and fit perfectly in Smash. His design an story is extremely unique. He's a spirit warrior possessing a doll, and equipping the doll with guns and laser beams. Like that's just so cool and different than most Mario characters you see. Then there's his moveset potential. There's just so much from his one single appearence to pull from. Light discs that can instant KO? Giant laser beams? Summoning the heavens above to create a giant colorful star shower? Turning into a cannon and shooting out what essentially looks like a sun? That to me just screams like a fun character to play with, and seeing all of that from his design and attacks being remade with updated graphics is something that would be really amazing to see to me

On a more personal level, I want Geno in because he's the best representation to the games I played when I was younger. I wasn't born when Mario RPG came out, but I still ended up playing it, and a bunch of other Mario RPGs as a child. Not just the one that started it all, but mostly all of them. From Mario RPG, to Mario & Luigi, these games are special to me. When Smash 4 DLC was going on, I didn't by any of the DLC characters, but I did go out and buy the Geno Mii Costume. That's how special I find those games. The wacky fun adventures they give you, the standout music, the fun combat, they were just experiences that I enjoyed a whole lot. I want something to represent those games I played in Smash, and I can't think of a more perfect pick than Geno. His design and moveset as stated, as well as the fact that he came from a game that started the whole Mario RPG genre, he's worthy to me of being the representation of these games

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Since everybody is sharing their Geno stories, I feel I should probably share mine. I never played Super Mario RPG, the earliest console I remember owning was an N64 so it had just passed it by. I remember spending a lot of time browsing Newgrounds back in the day, watching all kinds of fun flash animations, mostly Mario, Zelda & Sonic related. As an aside, who here remembers that one really good Super Mario Land flash animation? Ahh, good times.

Anyways, the earliest I remember hearing about Geno was probably from the Smash Kingdom flash animations. Didn't really leave much of an impression on me at the time, but this is where I had learned about people wanting him for Brawl. DEAR MASAHIRO SUH-KURR-RAI! As an aside, it's so surreal to see that one skit nowadays, where a bunch of third parties start joining Smash and Kirby gets really fed up with it. I had also heard of Rawest Forest back in the day. Gotta be honest, I don't really like it all that much.

I never really gave much thought to Geno with regards to Smash 4, though by that point he was a character I was well enough aware of. That sort of mindset continued well into Ultimate, with my focus shifting more towards King K. Rool and Isaac. I actually discovered papagenos papagenos somewhere during that with his first video on Mach Rider. It was his video on the Banjo statues that got me following the Smashboards thread, but it wasn't until Banjo had finally been revealed that I finally joined Smashboards, as well as this here Geno thread.

Yeah, I know it isn't really as personal and emotionally driven as some of the other stories you guys have shared, but I think it's worth sharing because it really goes to show how dedicated his support base is compared to most other characters, to where I could go from not really paying him much mind to throwing my full support behind him, making all sorts of sprite memes and writing wonderful literature like this:
>I was only 9 years old
>I loved Geno so much, I had all the merchandise and game
>I pray to Geno every night before bed, thanking him for repairing the Star Road
>"Geno is love" I say; "Geno is life"
>My dad hears me and calls me a boomer
>I know he was just jealous of my devotion for Geno
>I called him a zoomer
>He slaps me and sends me to go to sleep
>I'm crying now, and my face hurts
>I lay in bed and it's really cold
>Suddenly, a warmth is moving towards me
>It's Geno
>I am so happy
>He whispers into my ear "Come on! Let's get this show on the road."
>He grabs me with his powerful puppet hands and puts me down onto my hands and knees
>I'm ready
>I unequip my Lazy Shell for Geno
>He Geno Whirls my body
>It does 9999 damage but I do it for Geno
>I can feel my body aching as I start to pass out
>I hold myself together
>I want to please Geno
>He lets loose a mighty Geno Flash as my body explodes into coins
>My dad walks in
>Geno looks him straight in the eyes and says "Thank you, everyone! The Star Road is back to normal! And..."
>Geno leaves his puppet body and returns to the Star Road
>Geno is love. Geno is life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom