• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I've shared my opinion on this but given that so many insiders and even people like GameXplain have heavily weighed in on Jiggle Mallow, I feel like that some aspect of the video is true. There's probably something that's true even if the video winds up being a hoax. In my opinion, that's the bigger takeaway. We get bombarded by fakes all the time but one actually made some of the bigger people in Smash speculation weigh in on it. Insiders very rarely weigh in on things if they think it's total bull****.
I think it’s just more likely that the bigger insiders just want peace and quiet when the fandom gets too rowdy demanding answers from people. It’s a “Please shut the **** up” type response we see from insiders when they get absolutely hounded by people looking for an answer. Plus, stepping into more prominently leaks can always provide a boost to credibility if you’re right to many in the community.

Kewl0210

Smash Apprentice
Everyone forgets about Piranha plant. Technically Fighter Pass character #5 would be DLC 6. A "Fighter Pass Season 2" 1st character would be DLC 7.
The numbering Nintendo used actually got everything very confusing.

stixie

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post: trolling
I think it’s just more likely that the bigger insiders just want peace and quiet when the fandom gets too rowdy demanding answers from people. It’s a “Please shut the **** up” type response we see from insiders when they get absolutely hounded by people looking for an answer. Plus, stepping into more prominently leaks can always provide a boost to credibility if you’re right to many in the community.
THANK YOU!!

Just got flamed by some moron after I expressed my opinion on the situation. I said honestly that I didn't get the geno hype even after LOVING the game growing up. If you can't explain your position without actually having human decency then (imho) you should just not say anything.

After watching the video that Fatmanonice Fatmanonice posted and the op video... it seems it mostly just related to hype. I honestly don't get onto many "hype" trains so that's probably why I don't get it. I try to look at a character's relevance and ask myself if there's a good reason to have them in the game.

I'm NOT hear to bash a character... I'm just simply trying to understand why people request him and so far I don't have a satisfactory answer. In fact the video that Fatmanonice Fatmanonice posted had a (what looked like reddit) post of someone saying he didn't DESERVE to be in the game I pretty much agreed with everything the guy had to say.

Eh... oh well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Everyone forgets about Piranha plant. Technically Fighter Pass character #5 would be DLC 6. A "Fighter Pass Season 2" 1st character would be DLC 7.
The numbering Nintendo used actually got everything very confusing.
Geno number 7 baybeeeeeeee

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
THANK YOU!!

Just got flamed by some moron after I expressed my opinion on the situation. I said honestly that I didn't get the geno hype even after LOVING the game growing up. If you can't explain your position without actually having human decency then (imho) you should just not say anything.
I see where you're coming from. The reason folks are so sensetive is because they've spent a decade plus attempting to justify the validity of this character. We're more unified and hopeful than ever, so there's definetely some thin skin going around. The coolest thing about Geno, is he isn't relevant. Or, at least not without us. You can dissect the character design, his place in the story, his unique status as a character that once bridged Square and Nintendo, but really we have made him relevant. There's no reason other than our love for the character that he should still be at the forefront of discussion twenty years after the fact. He's a cult favorite for some great individuals who have stayed true and blue to his potential, and in that way we've assured that he has some form of relevancy. When you think about it, that's even tighter than a character being conventionally relevant imo.

D

Deleted member

So I'm 33 years old and Mario RPG was one of my favorite games growing up. This game was one of the best games on the SNES (along with Link To The Past, Mario World etc.) VERY VERY good game............................... but I have to be 100% honest I have NO IDEA why Geno is such a requested character. I literally couldn't not care less about him.

He has ONLY been in ONE mario game (albeit a great game) and imho does not deserve smash roster status... I mean why not put Smithy in then?? He's the main villain. Or Mallow or even Croco? If Geno was in 3 or 4 games I'd say yeah but we have WAAAAAAAAY enough mario reps in smash. I'd prefer basically ANY other character over him. Like Lloyd Irving for example. There isn't a single tales character in this game and if we're talking about rpg characters... I'd MUCH rather have one from Tales than ANOTHER mario rep.

Just don't get it.
Here's another good video if you want to try and see why people like Geno:
https://youtu.be/n6htFA0ugYk

Also let's not dunk on this dude he's simply trying to understand why we want Geno and that's not a bad thing. From an outsiders perspective Geno is one of the weirdest characters you could choose to rally behind as he's been relevant in only 1 game with only a handful of cameos outside of it and for a 20+ year old character that's pretty bad.

Of course I love Geno and I fully understand why we rally behind him as he's an awesome character and in my mind could represent the new bond between Nintendo and Square like they used to have back in the NES/SNES days but an outsider might not get everything like this so let's be a little more patient with the dude.

stixie

Smash Apprentice
I see where you're coming from. The reason folks are so sensetive is because they've spent a decade plus attempting to justify the validity of this character. We're more unified and hopeful than ever, so there's definetely some thin skin going around. The coolest thing about Geno, is he isn't relevant. Or, at least not without us. You can dissect the character design, his place in the story, his unique status as a character that once bridged Square and Nintendo, but really we have made him relevant. There's no reason other than our love for the character that he should still be at the forefront of discussion twenty years after the fact. He's a cult favorite for some great individuals who have stayed true and blue to his potential, and in that way we've assured that he has some form of relevancy. When you think about it, that's even tighter than a character being conventionally relevant imo.
Hm... my question is though, what makes a character "smash worthy?" Is it fan hype for a character or is it the character being relevant to a series. I mean I think Cloud (even if you think he's just another "swordie") was a WAY better rep for smash than Geno (from Square) because of his game representation. But if we base it off of just character hype... holy moly... we could get literally anything into the game.

Firox

Smash Master
Thanks for the troll.

Lloyd's probably my #1 pick but as I said I'd take basically every other DLC pick over Geno.

I honestly just don't get the hype around him... just don't.
OK, here's the acid test:

If you were only allowed one paid DLC character and you had to choose between Piranha Plant or Geno, which would you pick?

D

Deleted member

It's always the same tired arguments against him, though. When people argue his place in the story, they conveniently forget that half the characters in the game aren't even the main character. Marth and Ike are the only Fire Emblem reps that have appeared in more than one Fire Emblem title as a main character, but apparently we can't live without the rest of them. Falco is nothing but Fox's cool sidekick and despite the fact he's been considered bad for the two previous Smash titles and is off to a rocky start in this one, we can't live without him. I could go on, but eventually it's "oh but Geno's third party". It's goalpost moving and it never stops and will never stop until he gets in. I'm not thin skinned or sensitive or anything, I'm sick and tired of the same old same old, I've been eating the same crap since Geno moved from what felt like a popular character pick from after Melee through Brawl speculation to the most hated non-reptile character choice on the planet. If Mewtwo can come back because people loved him, and Little Mac and Isabelle and Dark Samus can get out of an assist trophy and even absolute nobodies like Pichu and Young Link can make it back into the game after a two game hiatus, all because I guess people loved them, coming around with some trash about how Geno doesn't fit or shouldn't be hyped is some high grade ****posting and I don't entertain it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Sakurai said it himself that it doesn’t matter if a character is well known as long as they’re fun to play

And Geno is really cool and we think he’d be fun to play

stixie

Smash Apprentice
Here's another good video if you want to try and see why people like Geno:
https://youtu.be/n6htFA0ugYk

Also let's not dunk on this dude he's simply trying to understand why we want Geno and that's not a bad thing. From an outsiders perspective Geno is one of the weirdest characters you could choose to rally behind as he's been relevant in only 1 game with only a handful of cameos outside of it and for a 20+ year old character that's pretty bad.

Of course I love Geno and I fully understand why we rally behind him as he's an awesome character and in my mind could represent the new bond between Nintendo and Square like they used to have back in the NES/SNES days but an outsider might not get everything like this so let's be a little more patient with the dude.
Now that last argument is probably the best one I've heard but we DO already have Cloud (fyi).

OK, here's the acid test:

If you were only allowed one paid DLC character and you had to choose between Piranha Plant or Geno, which would you pick?
I 100% get that argument but you also have to take into consideration Piranha Plant has been in like every mario game ever (maybe except for 2), geno in only 1 game.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Y-you too...

There's 1700 pages that you can go read and maybe understand why we want Geno, or not. Surely you didn't come into this thread and expect the red carpet rolled out for you when your 20th post on the entire site is to come into a smelly den of Geno supporters and say "damn dude how do you want puppet man"
Who smells worse: Geno supporters or Melee players

Something I thought of regarding the remaining mii costumes is that the two Megamen could come with Geno (or potentially Doomguy) since they fit that “gunner” archetype.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Now that last argument is probably the best one I've heard but we DO already have Cloud (fyi).

I 100% get that argument but you also have to take into consideration Piranha Plant has been in like every mario game ever (maybe except for 2), geno in only 1 game.
Well, Ice Climbers and Duck Hunt both had appeared in one game of their own outside the Smash series. They are Nintendo characters while Geno is Square Enix, but Geno did appear in a Mario game. So I don't see why he shouldn't get in if other characters can get in despite few appearances.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
For me personally, one of the big reasons behind my big support of Geno is that SMRPG was the last major game of my childhood in both a figurative and literal sense. It was before sexual abuse, anxiety, depression, stumbling in school, suicidal thoughts, self harm, social isolation, etc. My teenage and early college years were not a happy time for the most part and I didn't really start to climb out of that pit until early 2009. Geno represents a happier time for me. Playing on the playground, playing video games from sun up to sun down, drawing comics in class, having a sizeable circle of irl friends, etc. SMRPG and particularly Geno is just something that I can return to year after year and it still makes me happy. It's been one of the few constants in my life when a good portion of my life between late 1996 and early 2009 was tumultuous. Obviously, I don't expect everyone to "get" that so I rarely fight people about it anymore. I do agree that the Geno fanbase is one of those "you either get it or you don't" sort of things.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
So I'm 33 years old and Mario RPG was one of my favorite games growing up. This game was one of the best games on the SNES (along with Link To The Past, Mario World etc.) VERY VERY good game............................... but I have to be 100% honest I have NO IDEA why Geno is such a requested character. I literally couldn't not care less about him.

He has ONLY been in ONE mario game (albeit a great game) and imho does not deserve smash roster status... I mean why not put Smithy in then?? He's the main villain. Or Mallow or even Croco? If Geno was in 3 or 4 games I'd say yeah but we have WAAAAAAAAY enough mario reps in smash. I'd prefer basically ANY other character over him. Like Lloyd Irving for example. There isn't a single tales character in this game and if we're talking about rpg characters... I'd MUCH rather have one from Tales than ANOTHER mario rep.

Just don't get it.
A few points:

1. If it's one of your favorite games, then wouldn't it be cool to have an original character from that game? This is one of the main reasons we want him in. Plus he has great moveset potential. Of course, Sakurai talking about the character on multiple occasions has made him a more popular request as well.
2. "Couldn't not care less" means that you do care?
3. A character only being in one game has never stopped other characters from getting in, and there are other characters one could argue don't deserve Smash roster status either. But hell, Sakurai recently even stated as long as the character is fun to play it doesn't matter. And Geno would be very unique and fun to play as.
4. Mario is the best selling video game franchise of all time and is Nintendo's mascot, so it deserves the amount of reps it has and then some. Now Fire Emblem, that's a franchise that has too many reps.
5. Well, I'd MUCH rather have Geno than ANOTHER generic anime swordsman. But honestly, I think both are getting in and it's not like this is a Steve vs Banjo situation. Geno and Lloyd don't really have any direct competition with each other since they're from separate companies and series.

RingJ5

Smash Ace

Wait, Cloud is literally the opposite example of that bond, he was the mascot of Square’s big exodus to Playstation.

Plus, as other people are saying, we have quite a few characters in Smash already who’ve only appeared in one or two games, even as far back as Ness.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Reminder to not take bait or pander to people who are coming into the thread in bad faith just desperate for attention. Several pages of people going over the same points trying to convince someone of something they already said they don't want is kind of pointless after awhile.

Who do you think Geno would main if he played SSBU?

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I just want to add that Geno in Smash would basically be the ONLY acknowledgement of any character from ANY Mario RPG series aside from trophies/spirits outside of the RPGs, aside from the Star Spirits from Paper Mario showing up in Mario Party 5 and Koopatrols showing up in Mario Pinball

Firox

Smash Master
The point I'm trying to make is that regardless of how many appearances a character has, or how "known" they might be to the general populous, they can still have an amazingly fun and original moveset and bring a ****load of hype. Let's look at how many characters are in Smash that have had only one major appearance in gaming history PRIOR to their inclusion:

-Pit
-Palutena
-Ice Climbers
-Duck Hunt (if you even count them at all, since nobody even though of them as "characters")
-Wii Fit Trainer (who also comes from a now-dead system so yeah, don't even TRY to talk relevance)
-Shiek
-Shulk
-Chrom
-Lucina
-Robin
-Corrin
-Ness
-Lucas
-ROB (was actually a one-off peripheral)
-Incineroar

And those are just off the top of my head. Now, I'm not going to go into an all out comparison between PP and Geno because we've been down that road too many times, but if you think a generic Mario enemy would be more hype than an original character with HUGE moveset potential (remember that that is actually a higher priority to Sakurai than popularity alone), then we really have nothing more to discuss. Your negative bias will be abundantly clear. Also, as a final point, I'd like to point out that if you like SMRPG so much, wouldn't you like to ever see another? A sequel? Or an HD remake? Smash has the potential to boost a character's/franchise's popularity enough to do it. PP is great an all, but its inclusion has no real significant impact on the Mario franchise as a whole. Geno, on the other hand, opens a door between Nintendo and SE that we haven't seen the likes of which in decades.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I can see Geno playing Kirby or Meta Knight. I think he’d feel some kinship with fellow Star Warriors. Or maybe he’d just hang out with them and play, like, Samus or Mega Man because laser gun hands.

D

Deleted member

Hm... my question is though, what makes a character "smash worthy?" Is it fan hype for a character or is it the character being relevant to a series. I mean I think Cloud (even if you think he's just another "swordie") was a WAY better rep for smash than Geno (from Square) because of his game representation. But if we base it off of just character hype... holy moly... we could get literally anything into the game.
I personally do not care if a character “is not worthy of smash” as long as I find them fun to play as. Sheik is technically a side character that only has one game and got an appearance on Hyrule Warriors some spin-off game but I do find her fun to play as. If SMRPG was your favorite game, don’t you think it would be cool that an original character who is a favorite playable? Smash doesn’t have to be all about relevancy. No offense to piranha plant, but it’s nothing but an obstacle it’s whole life and same thing as a goomba.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oshawott777

Smash Cadet
For me personally, one of the big reasons behind my big support of Geno is that SMRPG was the last major game of my childhood in both a figurative and literal sense. It was before sexual abuse, anxiety, depression, stumbling in school, suicidal thoughts, self harm, social isolation, etc. My teenage and early college years were not a happy time for the most part and I didn't really start to climb out of that pit until early 2009. Geno represents a happier time for me. Playing on the playground, playing video games from sun up to sun down, drawing comics in class, having a sizeable circle of irl friends, etc. SMRPG and particularly Geno is just something that I can return to year after year and it still makes me happy. It's been one of the few constants in my life when a good portion of my life between late 1996 and early 2009 was tumultuous. Obviously, I don't expect everyone to "get" that so I rarely fight people about it anymore. I do agree that the Geno fanbase is one of those "you either get it or you don't" sort of things.
Jesus... Fatman, i never would have guessed. I like Geno for similar reasons, though its because I had nostalgia due to Nsider Brawl hype and didn't play SMRPG before then. I never really thought about people having that happen to them. I'm so sorry.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
For me, it's not some big important reason like cultural relevancy or fandom. I just liked super Mario rpg, I think his attacks are neat, and I'd love to play him. I can't really decide what makes him smash worthy, only sakurai really gets to make that call. But I Just think he's neat. Only reason I need, really.

Though I have to ask, when you hop into a support thread without directly posing a question and one of the things you say is "personally, I'd rather have any other dlc than the character you support" how do you honestly expect people to react? Getting indignant when people don't react positively certainly doesn't help things. Far be it from me to assume your intentions, I'm just calling it how I see it.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Just don't get it.
I completely understand the lack of hype around him from people who just... don't get it. I think you'll find my input interesting at this point, given I loved SMRPG but HATED Geno for how overrated he was. Like, I absolutely couldn't stand him, yet now, I'm one of the biggest Geno fans in my friend circle.

I feel it all boils down to how personal a character becomes to people, and by way of his design and concept, people were able to forge their own reasons for becoming fond of the character. Some people find that, some people don't — and that's okay. Personally, I thought his potential was woefully understated. His design is adorable, and from an artist's perspective (and goodness knows I am knee-deep into the intricacies of art and design), it checked all of the marks of what to do with character creation. His colors are very complimentary and pleasing to the eye, anchored by the brown that ties everything together. His shapes, as used in character design, work for the kind of character he is. He has a lot of round shapes, generally signifying a soft and friendly vibe, but he also features many triangles in his design, signifying something more 'cool' and 'strong'.

His personality has a lot of potential that was hugely squandered, and I'd blame bad writing for that. You can see the hints of something there. He jumps for joy when he possesses the doll, laughs at Mario and Mallow's confusion over his existence, and laughs at Bowser after persuading him to remain as an ally. Like the other party members, he is capable of dancing around in Bowser's Keep on the chandeliers. He's able to cheer Mario on during the game. Those last two aren't character-exclusive, yes, but it does give us a little more to work with. He's also great with children, as seen in the way he treats Gaz. We can surmise that he is a very kind and sweet character, as well as a jovial sort.

Geno is also... kind of a massive dork. He spouts 90's slang like nobody's business, literally giving his whole higher authority soliloquy seconds before shouting at Bowyer to 'chill out'. The way he yells out, "YO, SMITHY!" when in the final freaking battle, the most harrowing of them all, is beyond hilarious to me. He isn't giving some super serious speech or acting like a 'badass'. Just... YO, SMITHY? Holy crap, that screams dork. He runs into a wall when you first see him possess the doll. His facial expressions are a laugh and a half. He's soooo expressive, it's not even funny.

He's very adamant about doing his job, too, to the point that his Belome clone can only, ONLY think of the star pieces. Belome clones show themselves to be exaggerated caricatures, yeah, but it does go a long way to show Geno's dedication. He even gets fuming angry at Mario, SUPER HUFFY AND PUFFY (the sprite is so funny rofl), if he tries to leave Star Hill without the star piece in the area. It's gold. Despite all of this, it's clear that he's had some kind of development from this. With how ambitious he is about his job, you'd think he'd be ready to blaze through the cosmos and get back home ASAP... yet in Smithy's Lair, he shows reluctance to. For the first and last time in your journey, Geno doesn't seem like he wants to finish his mission. He doesn't want to leave his new friends... yet he pushes through and does the responsible thing anyway.

That last bit is incredibly powerful, in my opinion, and probably the best moment of his character. The one most determined to see their mission come to a close... now doesn't seem so gung-ho about doing so. He went from focusing on his mission and ONLY his mission to wanting to be with his friends. It could have been so much more powerful if he was written better and given more screen time, but alas, Square didn't do so.

A more minor thing, but he also cowers when it seems like his life is about to be snuffed out by Bowyer. That's the one time (aside from status effects) that we see Geno genuinely afraid for his life. I wish we could have gotten some expansion on that.

Basically, how I see it is... I see more in Geno than what we got. I wish we could have gotten more. I'd love to see him in a new RPG again, but I doubt it'll happen. A Smash inclusion would lend well to SMRPG's legacy, being the first Mario RPG to inspire the lines of others we got in the future. Geno's farewell was impactful for a lot of people, myself included, and it makes us want even more to see him reunite with his friends, with us. When he expressed such sadness at the idea of leaving them behind, I thought, "Geno does so much for granting other peoples' wishes. I want his wish to be with his buddies to come true, too." He's granted so many wishes for other people, chances are, so... why not let him have his wish finally come to pass?

If we see Geno in Smash, I feel like he'll really be able to live on in the hearts of gamers in so many ways. I could see so much coming from his potential for decades to come, even if not from Nintendo and Square themselves. He'll have his reunion with his friends. Our wishes will be granted and, in turn, so will his. I've crafted a lot of lore of my own personal interpretation of Geno, and I've just forged a love for the character that is so specially and uniquely mine. I will admit that it means my adoration and desires for Geno in Smash, 'deserving' or not, comes from a place of sentimentality and bias... but I can promise that it is entirely genuine and heartfelt. I can't expect anyone else to feel and think the same way, so if you don't and never will, that's perfectly fine. I just hope this kinda gives you more of a perspective as to why someone might want to witness his return, coming from someone who couldn't give a hoot about Geno until revisiting him as a character and making what she could of him.

100% second this, even down to the... unfortunate suicidal implications. I'm not gonna beat around the bush: I'm mentally ****ed up five ways to Sunday. I've always been an outcast with mental problems that only served to destroy my emotional state, and I'm a survivor of abuse, just to top it all off. It's left a lot of mental scarring, and Geno, crafting lore and personality for him, and SMRPG as a whole got me through a very tough patch in my life. It does serve to help make him feel that much more sentimental of a character to me.

There's also one more thing to compound that even further: The Mario RPGs were one of the ways I bonded with one of the closest family members I had, my late grandfather... so... yeah, that... whoof.

Last edited:

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
THANK YOU!!

After watching the video that Fatmanonice Fatmanonice posted and the op video... it seems it mostly just related to hype. I honestly don't get onto many "hype" trains so that's probably why I don't get it. I try to look at a character's relevance and ask myself if there's a good reason to have them in the game.

I'm NOT hear to bash a character... I'm just simply trying to understand why people request him and so far I don't have a satisfactory answer. In fact the video that Fatmanonice Fatmanonice posted had a (what looked like reddit) post of someone saying he didn't DESERVE to be in the game I pretty much agreed with everything the guy had to say.

Eh... oh well.

I get what you mean but it kinda comes of as you bashing the character when you come in here saying LMAO WHY DO PEOPLE WANT THIS DEAD CHARACTER IN SMASH or I WOULD RATHER HAVE (insert character hear) THEN ANOTHER MARIO REP.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I like Geno because he's cool and interesting, having a nice and cool personality and his design alone was enough to get me interested.

I personally don't care for any "deserving" arguments because I find them bunk considering it's a videogame and we all want who we want. Sakurai already likes Geno too, so meh, whatever.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
For me, it's not some big important reason like cultural relevancy or fandom. I just liked super Mario rpg, I think his attacks are neat, and I'd love to play him. I can't really decide what makes him smash worthy, only sakurai really gets to make that call. But I Just think he's neat. Only reason I need, really.
Totally agree. Smash is the greatest crossover in video game history, and it's a lot of fun imagining which characters might become playable or receive a reference in the game. Smash is also a sort of video game hall of fame. It's understandable that when discussing characters we as fans try to decipher the curatorial process that goes into each selection. That said, Smash Bros. is still a fun party game / competitive fighting game. Sometimes people just want a character because they're: From someone's favorite game, is cool, and would have a fun moveset.

All of those things describe why I support Geno, and I recognize that everyone's experiences and tastes are different. Mario RPG was the first game I purchased with my own money. I washed cars in my neighborhood all summer as a 6 year old to save up and afford an SNES and Mario RPG. That's a special memory for me. I do believe that Geno is worthy as Sakurai and Nintendo select characters for a multitude of reasons. However, I've answered the "Why Geno" question objectively way too many times to count. What I've realized is that it's okay to just want this character in Smash because he's my favorite character from my favorite game.

Last edited:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
So it seems as of now, more and more fan rules have been put to rest.

> "Character is irrelevant!" argument was hard shut down by Terry's existence, and Sakurai's statement in his showcase.

> "Geno has no moveset potential!" (This was a real comment. I will not share their username here. I refuse to start witch hunts.)
My guy/gal, Geno has a built in moveset. Smash Bros. generally has 5 special moves, down, neutral, side, up, and final smash. Geno, in his game, has Geno Whirl, Geno Blast, Geno Beam, Geno Boost, and Geno Flash. 5 special moves. Fits Smash PERFECTLY.

> "He'll just be another Mii Costume." Then where is it? Why didn't they just simply port it over from Smash 4 for Hero's Mii Costume list? Are we really supposed to believe Geno went from a Mii Costume in Smash 4 to a google search PNG spirit? Most of all the popular character mii costumes from Smash 4 were directly upgraded to playable characters, King K. Rool? Upgraded. Chrom? Upgraded. Inkling? Upgraded. Geno? missing.

> "Spirits can't be characters." Honestly can't wait for this one to be shut down too, if i'm honest. It's a dumb rule. If spirits deconfirmed characters, then damn this roster is pretty small. I can't believe they made a Smash Bros. with no characters! (referring to the unlockable fighter spirits) :4pacman:

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Reminder to not take bait or pander to people who are coming into the thread in bad faith just desperate for attention. Several pages of people going over the same points trying to convince someone of something they already said they don't want is kind of pointless after awhile.

Robin

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Another thing I don't think I've ever talked about on here is two of the reasons why I loved SMRPG practically right off the bat.

-The art style of SMRPG reminded me a lot of the Nightmare Before Christmas. I'm a huge Halloween enthusiast and seeing TNBC in theatres in November 1993 at a mere 5 years old is one of those moments in my life that I would describe as magical and life changing. I love the hell out of that movie and few things in media have shaped my personality and tastes more than it.

-SMRPG was the first game that I followed the development cycle of. I love Mario, that's no secret, and I've been playing Mario games since I was three years old. I remember seeing beta screens for SMRPG in a now defunct gaming magazine in 1995 and immediately being intrigued. It was so different and weird and I loved it immediately and tried to get my hands on any sort of news about the game. I remember sometimes just sitting on the ground in the magazine aisle in Walmart thumbing through every gaming magazine they had just to see if there was literally any new developments that I could drool over.

D

Deleted member

I've never really thought about it too much, but my early years of gaming were defined by platformers and RPGs. Super Mario Bros was my first game, and I think it really defined in my mind what a game is: you move sideways and have complete control over your character as long as he's on the screen. Stuff like Pokemon, and Mario RPG were the only things that I had that weren't sports games (or Zelda) that broke away from being a platformer, and while I had tons of fun with them, it always felt like to me that I should be able to do more than turn based combat with random numbers in an RPG. Smash really brought that to reality for me - Pikachu was my first main because of how novel it was to be able to run and jump and throw out Pikachu attacks just at will. It really felt like finally I was playing as the character. Your words "I'd love to play him" really woke me up to this, because for as much as I loved Geno, I've never played "as" Geno - much like a Pokemon, I was just bossing him around.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
It's kind of hard to imagine someone loving the adventure of Super Mario RPG and going through the whole journey and not understanding the love for Geno, but I guess they're out there.

For me, Geno is such a mysterious character who, like an angel of light, descends on a doll that comes to life and goes out of his way to make sure all the dreams and wishes of the people who live on the earth come true. He's very determined to accomplish his goal, even if there's no major reward for his actions. He's quite selfless to go out of his way in making sure the stars are returned to their proper place and the world is safe from Smithy even if it is his job. He's like the Mario equivalent of the old west hero who shows up out of nowhere and saves the town and rides off into the sunset. I feel like the mystery of his character leaves me wanting to know more about him, and it's sad to have to say goodbye after sharing all the wonderful memories with him when you're riding along for the journey. It's a bittersweet moment watching him leave at the end of Mario RPG, one that felt pretty deep for a Mario title that came out in the mid-90's so it gave some of us a weight of emotions for wanting to see this legendary hero appear - at least one more time, before disappearing into the pages of gaming history.

Firox

Smash Master
I like Geno because he's cool and interesting, having a nice and cool personality and his design alone was enough to get me interested.

I personally don't care for any "deserving" arguments because I find them bunk considering it's a videogame and we all want who we want. Sakurai already likes Geno too, so meh, whatever.
Funny how simple and yet effective this argument is. In the end, we like what we like for the exact opposite of why people hate what they hate. When it comes to Smash characters, you can try to think up every reason in the universe why a character "doesn't fit" or "doesn't deserve" to get in, but at the end of the day, our opinions are irrelevant. We voice our desires and then it's up to Sakurai if he wants to indulge us. Period. HE decides who fits or who "deserves" to get in regardless of how much we do or don't want a given character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom