• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
ResetERA's Smash speculation topic, I'd imagine.
I know, though I was going to ask for the exact link.

But knowing ResetERA, there would probably be cursing in that link, which is probably not allowed to be posted here.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Is that really a common issue with resetEra links?

That's weird.
I was just saying. I know we have posted 4Chan leaks before, which contain cursing, but I am personally not much of a fan of it, the cursing part, that is.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Ryce does think positively of Geno's chance but unlike with MvCI he's just a speculator here.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
For those asking for the where and when, I can't really provide a link. That topic is huge, and I don't even know if I'd be able to search the specific post down so easily. If anyone else wants to try their hand at hunting it down, though, be my guest. :drshrug: It's just... so much to wade through, and it doesn't help that I don't have an account there lol.

link2702

Smash Champion
Eh? So we’ Discussing pkmn now eh? Ok I’ll throw my cents in.

The series is in desperate need of actual drastic change, has been long before sword and shields controversy. They’ve been literally using the same core gameplay design and “story” cliches since the original gb games from the 90s. The most drastic changes the games have ever had was the introduction of online, and FINALLY having 3d animated pokemon models with x/y on 3ds. Hell they didn’t even fully animate the sprites during battles until black and white, when they were capable during the gba generations. And the battle mechanics are in desperate need of change.

D

Deleted member

The series is in desperate need of actual drastic change, has been long before sword and shields controversy. They’ve been literally using the same core gameplay design and “story” cliches since the original gb games from the 90s. The most drastic changes the games have ever had was the introduction of online, and FINALLY having 3d animated pokemon models with x/y on 3ds. Hell they didn’t even fully animate the sprites during battles until black and white, when they were capable during the gba generations. And the battle mechanics are in desperate need of change.
Honestly I think they dumbed down the story cliches. Your rival has progressively moved away from being a secondary antagonist and crept towards being nothing more than a dimwitted friend, or friends, depending on how many children the developers wanted to cram into one scene. The bad guy team has started to become "bad guy" team, where their plot is Saturday Morning Cartoon villain at best, and almost every team leader is given some sort of justification or redemption rather than just having them be bad. Rainbow Rocket is the only breath of fresh air in this regard since Gen 3 (and the bad guy plan in that is so ridiculously self destructive it's hard to take Aqua/Magma seriously). As for the sprites, honestly they never actually animated them. Two or three frames of actual physical changes and the rest is in-engine sprite stretching/translation. It's been lazy since Crystal when "animations" were first introduced. To say at least one positive thing, though, I think the battle mechanics are timeless enough to not need to be changed.

I really hope Sword and Shield becomes a turning point for how Nintendo/The Pokemon Company approaches Pokemon from here out... Though, I have to assume that if it does poorly (by whatever metric Nintendo/TPC has set out, there's no way the game will actually do "poorly"), they'll likely focus on mobile releases since Pokemon Go undoubtedly proved to them that there's an audience that will not only take what they're given, but pay for it by the slice. And being real? I hope they do. A lazily produced bloated monster like Pokemon deserves the mobile audience, and the mobile audience deserves it.

Geno, on the other hand, deserves to be in Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Since serenade brought it I have to say crystal still probably has my favorite looking stuff they ever made. Something about those animated sprites is just so clean and crisp it gives me goosebumps thinking about seeing my favorites for the first time like that. Some of the really involved ones like hitmonlee and scizor just look incredible especially for the time.

Last edited:

Kewl0210

Smash Apprentice
Ryce has said before he basically thinks anybody who has been speculated/requested for many years have the best chance. Like when the Shinobi Leak happened with Banjo he was saying that he felt like surely they would get in eventually anyhow.

Firox

Smash Master

#BringBackMegas

I'm sorry, I know how fickle Gamefreak is with their features, but Mega evolutions were so incredibly fun and opened the door for making historically mediocre pokes into beastly ones. Couple this with how awesome they were in stuff like Pokken Tournament, I think they'd be a lot cooler and less cumbersome to incorporate into other media than the Dyna/Gigamax Pokes. Could you imagine how stupid it would be to have Dynamaxes in Pokken Tournament 2? It just doesn't have the same appeal or practicality.

PS: Show some love for Gen 2, dammit! They give megas to Gens 1 and 3 but not 2?! Where's muh Mega Typhlosion?!

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Maybe I'm in the minority but I really didn't like mega evolutions. They just centralized teambuilding around them and stole what would have been a new evo in a previous gen and locked it behind a temporary gimmick than would get overlooked anyway because they would inevitably have to compete for slots with the actually good pokemon that got one too and we were back to where we started. Personally I wish they would stop doing these wierd one shot gimmicks, especially when they are kinda just restricted versions of previous ideas.(mega/new evos, z moves/gems)

andree123

Smash Ace
Ryce has said before he basically thinks anybody who has been speculated/requested for many years have the best chance. Like when the Shinobi Leak happened with Banjo he was saying that he felt like surely they would get in eventually anyhow.
Well, is there things that Ryce got wrong?

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Ryce does have inside connections and he’s a chill guy but he’s a speculator most of the time. Do not look too into what he’s saying

Firox

Smash Master
If Geno were getting a trailer, I would imagine it would be very sentimental and have a giant reunion at the end.
I really like this idea. Imagine Geno's trailer ending with him running over to give Mario and Peach a group hug. (Bowser shrugs in the background, then smiles in recognition.)

D

Deleted member

I don't get where this idea that post-pass DLC won't get a trailer came from. Sure, they're probably expensive, but the character trailers are basically a commercial for the game and the character DLC wrapped up into one, and also huge fanservice. Advertising budgets are mindblowingly huge so I imagine the cost of the trailers is average in comparison. I know the Smash 4 DLC characters didn't get the kind of trailers the base roster characters got, but since so far the DLC characters have gotten trailers of equal quality to the base roster, I don't see it stopping.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If the post-Pass characters aren't getting any trailers (or at least not the same ones the base roster and current Fighters Pass characters got), I'd like to imagine it's because they're instead doing one big trailer that reveals all the post-Pass characters ahead of time.

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
Well, you can maybe not go the full-on cinematic direction in the style of Terry. I dunno how they'd do announcements, but you can bet they'd still make them suspenseful and exciting, as Smash kinda thrives on that sort of thing.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What exactly do you mean that leaking is Sabi’s career? I mean, leak reputation is one thing and you’ll just get disowned as a source of information/at worst into legal trouble for leaking classified information... but the way you describe it as a “career” implies a greater deal of importance and severity than just being a “leaker.” You make it sound like Sabi’s livelihood depends on leaking information. Care to clarify?
I've mentioned this before but Sabi is literally an incognito investigative journalist for at least one gaming website. I believe it's on their Twitter profile.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
#BringBackMegas

I'm sorry, I know how fickle Gamefreak is with their features, but Mega evolutions were so incredibly fun and opened the door for making historically mediocre pokes into beastly ones. Couple this with how awesome they were in stuff like Pokken Tournament, I think they'd be a lot cooler and less cumbersome to incorporate into other media than the Dyna/Gigamax Pokes. Could you imagine how stupid it would be to have Dynamaxes in Pokken Tournament 2? It just doesn't have the same appeal or practicality.

PS: Show some love for Gen 2, dammit! They give megas to Gens 1 and 3 but not 2?! Where's muh Mega Typhlosion?!
Agree about the giving gen 2 some love and kind of agree about megas. I think megas were absolutely one hundred percent done wrong. The designs are great and the concept of sacrificing an item in order to gain additional benefits is great and should have been used exclusively for pokemon that already had full evolution lines not sableye and mawile. It's literally not that hard to come up with new excuses to give Pokemon evolutions and gen 4 did it best by saying look they can learn this move now and that allows them to evolve because it just does. Literally no one cares how much sense it makes, they just want new Pokemon. Imo regional variants is what should continue to translate over to new games with is why I'm glad sword/shield went for that instead of megas since they did that the right way and now region specific evolutions is a nice way to build on that in new ways. Don't get me wrong there's no mistaking that dynamaxing is hecka lame and mega evolutions and z moves as separate mechanics were much more intriguing but out of all things considered, I'm glad regional variants was what got chosen to be continued.

Firox

Smash Master
I've mentioned this before but Sabi is literally an incognito investigative journalist for at least one gaming website. I believe it's on their Twitter profile.
So just out of curiosity, is Sabi male or female? I've literally seen the pronouns "he", "she" and "they/them" all used by various posters. Is it supposed to be ambiguous or what? I mean, I know it's not a big deal or anything but I like to refer to people as specifically as possible.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So just out of curiosity, is Sabi male or female? I've literally seen the pronouns "he", "she" and "they/them" all used by various posters. Is it supposed to be ambiguous or what? I mean, I know it's not a big deal or anything but I like to refer to people as specifically as possible.
Nazyrus came in a few weeks ago to specifically say sabi is male but before that it was just a tf2 pyro situation and I think that might have been intentional like you said.

Firox

Smash Master
Agree about the giving gen 2 some love and kind of agree about megas. I think megas were absolutely one hundred percent done wrong. The designs are great and the concept of sacrificing an item in order to gain additional benefits is great and should have been used exclusively for pokemon that already had full evolution lines not sableye and mawile. It's literally not that hard to come up with new excuses to give Pokemon evolutions and gen 4 did it best by saying look they can learn this move now and that allows them to evolve because it just does. Literally no one cares how much sense it makes, they just want new Pokemon. Imo regional variants is what should continue to translate over to new games with is why I'm glad sword/shield went for that instead of megas since they did that the right way and now region specific evolutions is a nice way to build on that in new ways. Don't get me wrong there's no mistaking that dynamaxing is hecka lame and mega evolutions and z moves as separate mechanics were much more intriguing but out of all things considered, I'm glad regional variants was what got chosen to be continued.
I see what you mean, but my major beef with regional variants is that they're REGIONAL. As in, unattainable outside their region. Think about it. If GF is already cutting pokes with each game, you can't honestly think that we'll see Galarian exclusives in the next one. I like the idea of getting more evolutions for Pokes like Farfetch'd that never had one before, but I would rather simply ADD evolutions instead of tying them to a particular region. Otherwise, it just adds to the already cheap POS cash-grabbing tactics of GF by having two separate versions of every game, especially since the games are more expensive now.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I always thought Sabi was female but Nazyrus insists that Sabi’s a dude. Idk myself tbh. I think they wanna keep it ambiguous so theyre less likely to be caught

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
His gender is clearly Schrodinger's gender. Let's just change which gender we're referring to her as at random.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I think Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield was their chance to really do it right, do something completely different, make big changes.

If they aren't doing that now they never will. Pokemon will just shamble on until it dies.

Firox

Smash Master
I think Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield was their chance to really do it right, do something completely different, make big changes.

If they aren't doing that now they never will. Pokemon will just shamble on until it dies.
Shamble on? Yes. Die? Never. At very least, it will be a pathetic hollow shell of its former self.....undead. It'll be a zombie franchise.

"Brains! Brains! Money! Money!"

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
Yesterday I played with someone called wabisabi in Monster Hunter World and the character was male so I'm just going to assume that was Sabi.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I see what you mean, but my major beef with regional variants is that they're REGIONAL. As in, unattainable outside their region. Think about it. If GF is already cutting pokes with each game, you can't honestly think that we'll see Galarian exclusives in the next one. I like the idea of getting more evolutions for Pokes like Farfetch'd that never had one before, but I would rather simply ADD evolutions instead of tying them to a particular region. Otherwise, it just adds to the already cheap POS cash-grabbing tactics of GF by having two separate versions of every game, especially since the games are more expensive now.
True and unfortunately the compounding negative aspects of Pokemon probably won't change the landscape enough for Pokemon to change drastically as a result since it's constantly picking up new fans and appealing to an enormous variety of people. And unfortunately, these kind of games simply require ridiculous budgets and teams to achieve the way fans truly want because of all the attention that has to go into the creatures, battle mechanics, overworld, etc so smaller developers won't really be able to challenge Pokemon and Pokemon will never change for the better because it doesn't have to. The reason I bring this up is because regional variants would not be an issue or as much of an issue if multiple regions were available to explore in games opposed to just one. But they just refuse to sink to the time and money into this money maker. I mean they had the NPCs that traded over alolan forms in let's go and they could do that over and over until the entire new regions were filled with such NPCs. Or maybe just simplify it and have it done through the professor which naturally makes more sense as the professors in the anime and games are often seen referring to other professors in other regions like they share research so could share regional variants presumably as well.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Hey there fellow Geno fans. My friend at work has been working on a Geno figure of my very own. He’s been working on it since March. He’s so talented!
1573673497144.jpeg

D

Deleted member

I think she want to keep their gender very ambiguous so he doesn't get caught by Nintendo or anyone else. It's simply to keep her gender secret I think. I'm not too sure though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yesterday I played with someone called wabisabi in Monster Hunter World and the character was male so I'm just going to assume that was Sabi.
Sometimes women like to play male avatars like how men sometimes use female avatars in games?

source: I’m a woman who often plays the male Octoling in Splatoon 2 because he’s a good Oomi boi

D

Deleted member

This isn't entirely relevant to the topic at hand, but I've found myself visiting /v/ at least once a day in hopes the guy who made the Mallowdemon leak finally comes out and admits to it (and no, this statement does not mean there's any definitive evidence that it was faked, I'm just erring towards fake since it was proven jiggle hats can be made). If my memory serves me, Doom Guy was a really popular /v/ pick for a while there, and was really fueled by the Bethesda interview, but it seems like now that he's got the distinct "misfortune" of being associated with Geno, Mr. Doom is a hated item around there.

I just think it's funny that the irrational hatred of Geno will make them lose their **** and start to hate characters they already liked. I know it was mentioned earlier about how we should "humble brag" or "take the high road", and that's great and it's for the best there's people in the world like that, but I can't say I'll be doing the same once our boy is confirmed - ****posting is time spent not grinding Geno data until not a Geno hater nor a Geno lover survives against him in bracket.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
This isn't entirely relevant to the topic at hand, but I've found myself visiting /v/ at least once a day in hopes the guy who made the Mallowdemon leak finally comes out and admits to it (and no, this statement does not mean there's any definitive evidence that it was faked, I'm just erring towards fake since it was proven jiggle hats can be made). If my memory serves me, Doom Guy was a really popular /v/ pick for a while there, and was really fueled by the Bethesda interview, but it seems like now that he's got the distinct "misfortune" of being associated with Geno, Mr. Doom is a hated item around there.

I just think it's funny that the irrational hatred of Geno will make them lose their **** and start to hate characters they already liked. I know it was mentioned earlier about how we should "humble brag" or "take the high road", and that's great and it's for the best there's people in the world like that, but I can't say I'll be doing the same once our boy is confirmed - ****posting is time spent not grinding Geno data until not a Geno hater nor a Geno lover survives against him in bracket.
No, see, that’s after he’s released. The ****posting is for the month or two in-between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom