• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
The contact is an NoA ambassador so he tells us about the going ons of NoA and rumors floating around there. No clue how NoJ responded but NoA probably had a lot to report to HQ on the matter.
It's not NoJ, it's NCL.

Kewl0210

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Speaking of which, ThatOneMartini (Martin) a dataminer posted this. This is what the CSS would look like if it has the "max count" before it crashes.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Obviously it could probably have more if they really wanted to but this seems to be the current planned max. Which would be 11 more.
At the rate things are going, I legit wouldn't be suprised if we fill up all of those spots in a few years time.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Y’know, funny thing is for me personally, I probably would’ve been happy to see Isaac’s AT were it not for the Grinch leak. Just getting to see a new 3D model of a friggin Golden Sun character in 2018 is insane. Heck, I was happy to see literally any Custom Robo content for example. But the “leak” got my hopes up.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In regards to Geno and the Grinch Leak, here's some important takeaways:

-Grinch Leak basically forced Nintendo to acknowledge Geno's popularity. Let's face it, Isaac, Banjo, and Geno were basically what made it into such a megaton hoax.

-Shadow and Isaac were doomed from the start but Banjo was in his super early stages and obviously a huge secret while Geno was a JPEG. Geno probably was planned to be a Mii costume with Hero in the initial draft but, obviously, that didn't happen and Power of 6 theory helps provide a foundation for that.

-Geno is literally the only major character from the Grinch Leak that isn't playable or an AT a year later.

Again, my speculation, yadda yadda yadda, but it's kind of gotten hard to escape the shadow of the mountain of evidence and coincidences that Geno's eventually coming.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Speaking of which, ThatOneMartini (Martin) a dataminer posted this. This is what the CSS would look like if it has the "max count" before it crashes.

Obviously it could probably have more if they really wanted to but this seems to be the current planned max. Which would be 11 more.
Should point out as always that the CSS in past installments has really had no rhyme or reason to it. It would be nice if they filled out even rows, but, I doubt that they're going to push DLC further than they feel comfortable simply for organization purposes.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord

-Grinch Leak basically forced Nintendo to acknowledge Geno's popularity. Let's face it, Isaac, Banjo, and Geno were basically what made it into such a megaton hoax.

-Shadow and Isaac were doomed from the start but Banjo was in his super early stages and obviously a huge secret while Geno was a JPEG. Geno probably was planned to be a Mii costume with Hero in the initial draft but, obviously, that didn't happen and Power of 6 theory helps provide a foundation for that.

-Geno is literally the only major character from the Grinch Leak that isn't playable or an AT a year later.

Again, my speculation, yadda yadda yadda, but it's kind of gotten hard to escape the shadow of the mountain of evidence and coincidences that Geno's eventually coming.
Could we say that the Grinch Leak somehow helped Geno's chances?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Fatman this is asked largely in vein, but since you said their may be at least one assist promotion, does Isaac have a ghost of a chance currently or is he still dead in the ground?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
As long as Geno is the only takeaway from the Grinch, I'll be fine. I really don't want a "Wave 2" dedicated to realizing the rest of that stuff as I just want Grinch as far removed from this community as possible and the remaining character choices are fairly low energy additions outside of Geno (with a respectable Isaac who I do feel for). In general I'd prefer DLC to be as not influenced by fan reactions from base roster as possible. Just responding to that seems predictable and unambitious if I'm being perfectly honest.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

It’s good that it sounds like they got the proper message from that ordeal, though I can’t say I’d complain if character 6 ends up being Mach Rider

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I have a lot of sympathy to Nintendo in regards to the reactions though. I mean, no other game franchise in existence pays this much attention to fan service in every conceivable way, and few of this quality and caliber give out as much content as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate did on launch (specifically with fans in mind no less with much of the additions too). I think Nintendo just underestimated how spoiled fans were and figured, "Hey, we're paying all of this fan service to franchises that would literally otherwise not get anything, this is great." And then the fan base had to go and fan base at literally every part of the cycle and haven't stopped since it began again.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

>Geno is the only character that isn’t playable/AT
322A055D-1BA3-45EE-BA68-B13F4F5CE321.gif

You are forgetting Mach Rider & Chorus Kids. They are spirits too, AKA neither playable or AT

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

This is 100% what I’m thinking. People have come into the thread in the past to say that hype and social media posts don’t have any effect on roster selection for SSBU and this if true would make that objectively not true. I fundamentally believe the support shown to Geno around the time of SSBU’s release and after is what saved him from being a mii costume. I believe Nintendo had an interest in using him in some capacity and fan response+Grinch leak is what made them pull the trigger for smash.

I also fundamentally believe whoever gave Vergeben the fake information about Steve/Minecraft content is going to be ultimately responsible for Steve getting into Smash eventually.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I just feel like this sets a terrible precedent though. Going forward, fans could think "Hey if it worked for Smash, we can keep complaining to get our ways"

I mean if it means a playable Geno, I'm happy, but I feel like it opens a can of worms.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Release all the Grinch leak characters. Call it "The Green Leak pack." We'll all know what it means and get a good laugh out of it.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Damn I knew they got angry phone calls and all that but I didn't realise how much in panic they probably were around the whole situation. I really hope Geno get's his time, you guys have fought so hard for it. I know many of you probably think ATs are dead in the water as of now but if speculation from me and a bunch of fellow Golden Sun fans are correct that Camelot could be working on a new one or a remake, Isaac could very well have a decent shot imo. It's literally a genius idea to promote the release with an upgrade since Isaac has been demanded as he is for so long. When it comes to protags of newer releases the main problem I think was the fact the characters were new but Isaac is a protag from an almost 20 year old game so that doesn't hold him back. Fingers crossed we get our boys
1573613656317.png

Please Nintendo complete the trinity

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I just feel like this sets a terrible precedent though. Going forward, fans could think "Hey if it worked for Smash, we can keep complaining to get our ways"

I mean if it means a playable Geno, I'm happy, but I feel like it opens a can of worms.
”Complaining constantly about characters is wrong, but as long as I get my most wanted, its totally justified!”

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Other games/companies set this precedent long before SSBU was a thing. Blame game companies in general for putting too much stock into what people on Twitter are saying. At the same time though companies would be dumb to completely ignore the desires of consumers when there’s money to be made.

”Complaining constantly about characters is wrong, but as long as I get my most wanted, its totally justified!”
Wait are we going to start passive aggressively scolding one another because we’re happy about Geno getting in while posting in the Geno thread?

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Damn I knew they got angry phone calls and all that but I didn't realise how much in panic they probably were around them. I really hope Geno get's his time, you guys have fought so hard for it. I know many of you probably think ATs are dead in the water as of now but if speculation from me and a bunch of fellow Golden Sun fans are correct that Camelot could be working on a new one or a remake, Isaac could very well have a decent shot imo. It's literally a genius idea to promote the release with an upgrade since Isaac has been demanded as he is for so long. When it comes to protags of newer releases the main problem I think was the fact the characters were new but Isaac is a protag from an almost 20 year old game so that doesn't hold him back. Fingers crossed we get our boys
He's just such a great fit too. I think they need to re-release Golden Sun 1&2 as part of a bundle for the Switch. Then maybe a new game once it inevitably does well. After playing GS1, I'm sold on Isaac. He's a clear number 2 for me and if I had one choice of an AT upgrade, he'd be it.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
So the Grinch Leak only affected NoA with complaints. Yeah, I don't think the complaints NoA received from the Grinch Leak is going to be taken into consideration since they probably didn't care about the leak over in Japan. Remember, Sakurai did the one tweet that was only in English, and was directed more towards the western side of the world saying they weren't interested in hearing requests for characters. Ya'll getting your hopes up that this Grinch Leak will somewhat come true when it's probably done, buried, and they never want to hear anything involving that leak or characters ever again.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Damn I knew they got angry phone calls and all that but I didn't realise how much in panic they probably were around the whole situation. I really hope Geno get's his time, you guys have fought so hard for it. I know many of you probably think ATs are dead in the water as of now but if speculation from me and a bunch of fellow Golden Sun fans are correct that Camelot could be working on a new one or a remake, Isaac could very well have a decent shot imo. It's literally a genius idea to promote the release with an upgrade since Isaac has been demanded as he is for so long. When it comes to protags of newer releases the main problem I think was the fact the characters were new but Isaac is a protag from an almost 20 year old game so that doesn't hold him back. Fingers crossed we get our boys
View attachment 246415
I’m gonna have to go read y’all’s theories on what Camelot’s doing, I’d buy a GS remake on Switch in a heartbeat. Obviously a new game would be even better but I’d understand if Nintendo wasn’t sure about making that investment

TBone06

Smash Ace
I mean.. I wouldn't say it's justified, but I'd be reaping the rewards for sure!

Other games/companies set this precedent long before SSBU was a thing. Blame game companies in general for putting too much stock into what people on Twitter are saying. At the same time though companies would be dumb to completely ignore the desires of consumers when there’s money to be made.

Wait are we going to start scolding one another because we’re happy about Geno getting in while posting in the Geno thread?
You're 1000000% right. Your customers are the ones spending the money, so you should try your best to make them happy.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

I don't see how giving the fans what they've been desperately asking for for over a decade (Banjo, Geno, Isaac) is "opening a can of worms". It's pathetic that they were honestly that out of touch that it took the Grinch leak for them to realize this

D

Deleted member

He goes into more detail about it here: https://old.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/dvkfqf/smash_ultimates_maximum_number_of_css_icons_has/
So if this is what we end up getting we'd be seeing approximately 2 years of DLC. That'd certainly be fun.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
So if this is what we end up getting we'd be seeing approximately 2 years of DLC. That'd certainly be fun.
It’s probably just in case they decide to keep going, but I will literally keep buying characters until they stop making them so if they do this I’m all in.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I don't see how giving the fans what they've been desperately asking for for over a decade (Banjo, Geno, Isaac) is "opening a can of worms". It's pathetic that they were honestly that out of touch that it took the Grinch leak for them to realize this
I agree that they were incredibly out of touch, and in this instance I don’t think the fans are out of line. But there are times fans can just never be pleased. I mean I feel pretty great about this game as a whole. If I wasn’t a huge Geno fan I’d be 100% satisfied.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
So it seems that the stars are aligning (heh) for our boy after all. I won’t say it’s 100% certain but it definitely feels like just a matter of time at this point. My main hope at this point is that Geno’s return to the gaming landscape doesn’t stop at just Smash. I want to see him in Mario Kart, I want to see him in Mario Baseball or at least one of the sports games that were LITERALLY MADE BY SQUARE ENIX USING MARIO CHARACTERS SOWHYDIDNTTHEUSEGE-
Ahem

sorry about that.

What I hope happens for Geno, and for K Rool and for Banjo and for Terry and for whoever else they add, is that being in Smash leads to them being in more games outside of Smash as well.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I mean.. I wouldn't say it's justified, but I'd be reaping the rewards for sure!

“Its not justified, but at the same time, do it to get your most wanted!”

I’m sorry, but this is exactly why so many people regard this fanbase as an absolute joke.

This game has so much blood, sweat, and tears put into every last line of code. And yet all of you still insist on flooding/harassing the devs with constant complaints, just because your most wanted did not get in (Not just this thread, a ton of other fanbases too.)

Its fine to want a character in. Acting completely entitled when they get deconfirmed isn’t

Wait are we going to start passive aggressively scolding one another because we’re happy about Geno getting in while posting in the Geno thread?
But he hasn’t gotten in yet.

Don’t say that for certain unless you see his full 3D render on your CSS.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Operation Starfall is the prime example of how fan outreach and desire should be handled.

If any of y'all called/wrote Nintendo in the wake of the Grinch, **** that.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Exactly how is anything pointing towards the Namco rep being a Dark Souls character at the moment?
Dark Souls would definitely be different from the other people in the pass, people love to point that we had 2 JRPG characters but it’s possible but Hero and Joker could literally not be more different, also Dark Souls would be mindblowing, but not necessarily extremely hype

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
So the Grinch Leak only affected NoA with complaints. Yeah, I don't think the complaints NoA received from the Grinch Leak is going to be taken into consideration since they probably didn't care about the leak over in Japan. Remember, Sakurai did the one tweet that was only in English, and was directed more towards the western side of the world saying they weren't interested in hearing requests for characters. Ya'll getting your hopes up that this Grinch Leak will somewhat come true when it's probably done, buried, and they never want to hear anything involving that leak or characters ever again.

Not true actually. The tweet said they did not want people to spam Nintendo or his twitter with request not that they did not care for requests. Stop trying to spread misinformation.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I think a Dark Souls rep is quite possible. The series is quite popular and I could see the chosen undead having a defensive style with a good punish game and some great weapons and items to help him. If you ask me, people are sleeping on Chosen Undead too much. Sure Heihachi and Lloyd have a better shot, but remember, people thought Steve had a better chance than Banjo.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I’m sorry, but this is exactly why so many people regard this fanbase as an absolute joke.

This game has so much blood, sweat, and tears put into every last line of code. And yet all of you still insist on flooding/harassing the devs with constant complaints, just because your most wanted did not get in (Not just this thread, a ton of other fanbases too.)
Forgive me, I missed the part where anybody in this thread was harassing the devs or flooding them with complaints.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Hey, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , so I know this is unrelated to Smash, but with you just talking about NoA being aware of the fan regarding the Grinch situation...

how has Nintendo reacted to the Pokémon Sword & Shield uproar? Not just the National Dex, I mean the whole negative/unhyped aura surrounding the game for a chunk of people it seems.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
View attachment 246415
That picture continues to haunt me to this day. These three were literally my top three, so I was kinda devastated in November ngl. Banjo’s in and Geno looks very likely. I really hope that Isaac makes it by the end of the dlc, even if he’s the only assist upgrade

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Forgive me, I missed the part where anybody in this thread was harassing the devs or flooding them with complaints.

You know, it's funny. I hear people complaining about other people complaining much more than I hear those people complain firsthand.

Kewl0210

Smash Apprentice
People on 2ch/5ch (Japanese message boards) were definitely talking about the Grinch Leak at the time. A lot of people believed it, and translated all the evidence and such. All big leaks get over there really quick. Reactions tend to be about the same as you would see on 4chan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom