• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

75%. I'll probably do a big ass post about it by the VGAs but the main takeaways:

-Been part of insider conversations since last September.

-Very high insider confidence almost across the board.

-Dodged the Mii costume and Assist Trophy bullets.

-Already has assets that can be used for helping to make a full on character.

-Actually brought up at both Square and Nintendo of America.

-Biggest competition is already in the game and Sora is basically TBE until evidence actually comes up.

-Honestly one of the only characters that's been given high praise by Sakurai that's not in the game yet.

-A metric ****ton of coincidences and odd happenings tracing back nearly two years.

It's looking spectacular but I also don't want to do the coveted "he's in" because I was super confident that the VGAs was going to come down to two characters before one took a massive hit literally two days ago.
EDIT: Nevermind

Last edited by a moderator:

MattX20

Smash Hero
75%. I'll probably do a big ass post about it by the VGAs but the main takeaways:

-Been part of insider conversations since last September.

-Very high insider confidence almost across the board.

-Dodged the Mii costume and Assist Trophy bullets.

-Already has assets that can be used for helping to make a full on character.

-Actually brought up at both Square and Nintendo of America.

-Biggest competition is already in the game and Sora is basically TBE until evidence actually comes up.

-Honestly one of the only characters that's been given high praise by Sakurai that's not in the game yet.

-A metric ****ton of coincidences and odd happenings tracing back nearly two years.

It's looking spectacular but I also don't want to do the coveted "he's in" because I was super confident that the VGAs was going to come down to two characters before one took a massive hit literally two days ago.
So basically, we should only expect one character reveal and not two? I was figuring we were getting character 5 for sure.

D

Deleted member

So basically, we should only expect one character reveal and not two? I was figuring we were getting character 5 for sure.
I believe he meant that Character 5 was between two characters and thanks to the mystery info that he got, it's basically all but confirmed to be one of those two. I don't think anyone seriously expects two characters at the VGAs...

D

Deleted member

I do honestly. I can even see a Smash Direct in December with FP5 and the first post Pass character both getting revealed.
A Smash direct isn't the VGAs, though. I would love a surprise like that, but for the time being, my hype is pretty low, especially since all signs are pointing to a very underwhelming Dark Souls character rather than Namco's hundreds of other more Smash-fitting characters. Fortunately, it's my favorite time of year so there's plenty to distract me from caring too much about where the DLC is headed.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
A Smash direct isn't the VGAs, though. I would love a surprise like that, but for the time being, my hype is pretty low, especially since all signs are pointing to a very underwhelming Dark Souls character rather than Namco's hundreds of other more Smash-fitting characters. Fortunately, it's my favorite time of year so there's plenty to distract me from caring too much about where the DLC is headed.
Is there anything to support Dark Souls outside of a random 4chan leak that was most likely lucky at guessing the first four characters?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Exactly how is anything pointing towards the Namco rep being a Dark Souls character at the moment?

D

Deleted member

While there isn’t any big leak or developer comment supporting Dark Souls, I feel that the franchise has a SNK kind of deal going with them right now.

There are reasons that make the idea of a Dark Souls rep possible (such as the relationship between Bandai Namco and Nintendo, the former’s support of the Switch, the legacy of Dark Souls, the Solaire amiibo, etc...), but it’s not direct proof.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Exactly how is anything pointing towards the Namco rep being a Dark Souls character at the moment?
Agreed. However, I wonder if it would even be worth it from a game play mechanic.

Seems like his move set wouldn’t be all that different from what we have now. It’s my understanding that Dark Souls is a slower pace action game compared to Bayonetta, KH, or DMC. So translating that feel over may not work well if that’s their intention. Idk much about the character tho.

D

Deleted member

Is there anything to support Dark Souls outside of a random 4chan leak that was most likely lucky at guessing the first four characters?
For one, I think it's foolish to believe that a list from March of this year that had Banjo and Terry, in the correct order, is just a lucky guess. I'll let "Erdrick" slide since everyone wanted to throw him into their fake leak after Vergeben wouldn't shut up about him, but this guy didn't fall for the Steve trap. Not to say that it's real, but it's a little too uncanny to just write off as a lucky guess.

Aside from this /v/ text leak, the type of which should never be trusted, I think we're very truly in the territory of several people knowing who fighter #5 is and our sources are just waiting for the moment to say it without destroying their sources. Fatman has been open about his theories and how they're slowly getting confirmed, and basically told us in not so many words that even he knows the final fighter and gets suspiciously quiet around the mention of Chosen Undead/Solaire as a fighter, whereas he's been quick to dismiss characters like Reimu or KOS-MOS.

Sometimes it's what you don't say that says a lot.

D

Deleted member

So guys, after all the rumors and the confirmation back in June of a second wave of DLC characters, how confident are you in Geno's inclusion in the post-fighter pass DLC? I could say I'm like 60% certain that he will be in the game eventually, because past experiences make it impossible for me to go 100% on this.
About 50% it's honestly a coin-flip in regards if he makes it or not. If Fighter 5 comes and goes without Geno's mii costume his chances boost up to possibly even 75% as the possibility of his Mii Costume coming back for a "grand finale" kind of scares me. We'll see but for the moment it's 50/50.

MattX20

Smash Hero
While there isn’t any big leak or developer comment supporting Dark Souls, I feel that the franchise has a SNK kind of deal going with them right now.

There are reasons that make the idea of a Dark Souls rep possible (such as the relationship between Bandai Namco and Nintendo, the former’s support of the Switch, the legacy of Dark Souls, the Solaire amiibo, etc...), but it’s not direct proof.
I could make a similar argument for Layton minus the amiibo part as the franchise has massive legacy on the previous two generations of handheld gaming, the massive support Level 5 has given Nintendo etc.

D

Deleted member

I could make a similar argument for Layton minus the amiibo part as the franchise has massive legacy on the previous two generations of handheld gaming, the massive support Level 5 has given Nintendo etc.
Exactly.

It is reasonable stuff, but not direct evidence to make claims.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For one, I think it's foolish to believe that a list from March of this year that had Banjo and Terry, in the correct order, is just a lucky guess. I'll let "Erdrick" slide since everyone wanted to throw him into their fake leak after Vergeben wouldn't shut up about him, but this guy didn't fall for the Steve trap. Not to say that it's real, but it's a little too uncanny to just write off as a lucky guess.

Aside from this /v/ text leak, the type of which should never be trusted, I think we're very truly in the territory of several people knowing who fighter #5 is and our sources are just waiting for the moment to say it without destroying their sources. Fatman has been open about his theories and how they're slowly getting confirmed, and basically told us in not so many words that even he knows the final fighter and gets suspiciously quiet around the mention of Chosen Undead/Solaire as a fighter, whereas he's been quick to dismiss characters like Reimu or KOS-MOS.

I think a legit pre dated Season Pass leak that had all the correct characters in it would have "Hero" in it instead of "Erdrick" or "Luminary" honestly.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Not going to lie, this "power of six" thing doesn't actually sound very good for Geno at all. It gives me the impression that they're just withholding his Mii Costume to put into another Square character's pack rather than upgrading the costume itself for a full-fledged playable character. (Which would be an awful thing to do instead of just ripping the bandaid off early, but I wouldn't put it past them at this point) Sorry to be the negative guy of the thread again but, yeah, not feelin' it.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So the people of this thread have been discussing Bandai Namco and Capcom characters that could make it in, so let me pose a question for the people of this thread:

For Bandai Namco, would you rather have Lloyd or Heihachi? (Or, to be more general in my question, a Tales of character vs. a Tekken character, since I know there was debate in this thread who would represent Tales of.)

For Capcom, would you rather have a Resident Evil character or Dante?

Please explain the why you picked the character you chose.

P.S.: Honorable mentions go out to a Dark Souls character and Pheonix Wright, but I feel as if those characters will only get in if some certain set of circumstances occur with them (like for Dark Souls, I see a rep from that game being good for Fighter #5, but if they aren't, I can't see them over Lloyd and/or Heihachi for post-pass DLC).

Edit: This doesn't necessarily have to be Fighter #5 specific, I'm more so talking in general.
Bandai-Namco: Heihachi, by far. While the only Tales game that I've played is Tales of Symphonia, I enjoyed playing as Heihachi in the few Tekken games that I've played, and I feel like it would be a nice change of pace to have a villain as a third party character, seeing as all of them are unambiguously heroic so far.

Capcom: Dante, 100%. I haven't played a ton of Resident Evil (mainly RE4, RE5, and Umbrella Chronicles), but I was so inspired by the first three DMC games alone that I was able to come up with basically three separate movesets for Dante (it involved weapon switching), and I barely even scratched the surface of what he was capable of. (I don't think I even got into Style switching, and I could probably make several movesets based on DMC5 alone) The idea of Dante in Smash Bros. inspired me more than basically any other character has up to this point.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not going to lie, this "power of six" thing doesn't actually sound very good for Geno at all. It gives me the impression that they're just withholding his Mii Costume to put into another Square character's pack rather than upgrading the costume itself for a full-fledged playable character. (Which would be an awful thing to do instead of just ripping the bandaid off early, but I wouldn't put it past them at this point) Sorry to be the negative guy of the thread again but, yeah, not feelin' it.
Jafar: Patience Iago, patience!

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I really don't care about seeing dark souls in smash. But if it means they're going to put more dark souls on the switch, even if its just ds2, then sign me the **** up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think a legit pre dated Season Pass leak that had all the correct characters in it would have "Hero" in it instead of "Erdrick" or "Luminary" honestly.
I mean, "Erdrick" is a title that almost every Dragon Quest Hero picks up at one point or another. The real Erdrick is almost the equivalent of Anri to Marth - a historical figure that did some pretty cool stuff, but we never play as him. Might as well fault them all for always calling third Hero "Erdrick" when his name is Arusu.

There is another possibility I can consider, though: that Hero/Banjo/Terry was known for a long time. Right now we have two posts to my knowledge that predate E3 2019 yet include Terry, but both have a different 5th character. The other one I'm talking about had Hamtaro, which is obvious BS, but it may speak to more than just a lucky guess on both of their parts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset or anything. I love the Souls franchise, I just think that out of all of Bandai Namco's properties, it's the least viable for Smash. I'm going to continue to believe that we're getting literally the most faceless swordsman available until either someone comes out and tells us otherwise, or the reveal happens unspoiled. Since we already know it isn't Geno, I don't care too much, so I might as well brace for what I think is the worst possibility and be pleasantly surprised when Klonoa or someone equally deserving finally shows up.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Tbh would they end on two fighting game characters? Probably not. Thing is with Lloyd is that JRPG saturation in smash is somewhat precedented it's a fairly big genre and as the biggest counterargument for Lloyd can't be used then it seems it should be him. If we were going to get another fighting game Character it probably would have happened before now imo.
Smash reveales has never ended with a high note and we got Joker and Hero (2 RPG characters) back to back. So yes I think Tekken is likely. Especially with a certain Mii costume missing

Also https://youtu.be/9jbc0VVGyW0
The Switch port of Death Stranding looks weird

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Dark souls in Smash? I have heard no one discuss that aside from the ones who think the fighter pass absolutely has to end on a shock announcement at the VGAs and Dark souls is the most realistic option to adhere to both of those guidelines as well as being owned by a criminally unrepresented despite the fact that none of what I just said is set in stone and has to happen. Much like Smash 4 dlc it is a very high possibility that fighter 5 is a character who isn't at all unexpected and not too hype inducing aka Lloyd who everyone will call Brown Haired Red Costume Wearing Marth with Two Swords which is only part of how differently he will be received. Although Lloyd has his fans he certainly isn't Geno levels of requests or Sony Levels of unexpected. He has quite a bit going for him that coupled with the precedence of Nintendo ending DLC for smash disappointingly makes it seem he could be 5

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I mean, "Erdrick" is a title that almost every Dragon Quest Hero picks up at one point or another. The real Erdrick is almost the equivalent of Anri to Marth - a historical figure that did some pretty cool stuff, but we never play as him. Might as well fault them all for always calling third Hero "Erdrick" when his name is Arusu.

There is another possibility I can consider, though: that Hero/Banjo/Terry was known for a long time. Right now we have two posts to my knowledge that predate E3 2019 yet include Terry, but both have a different 5th character. The other one I'm talking about had Hamtaro, which is obvious BS, but it may speak to more than just a lucky guess on both of their parts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset or anything. I love the Souls franchise, I just think that out of all of Bandai Namco's properties, it's the least viable for Smash. I'm going to continue to believe that we're getting literally the most faceless swordsman available until either someone comes out and tells us otherwise, or the reveal happens unspoiled. Since we already know it isn't Geno, I don't care too much, so I might as well brace for what I think is the worst possibility and be pleasantly surprised when Klonoa or someone equally deserving finally shows up.
I hope to God the Namco rep is a Soul Calibur character like Yoshimitsu or Nightmare. Either of them, especially Yoshimitsu would make me jump out of my seat.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Smash reveales has never ended with a high note and we got Joker and Hero (2 RPG characters) back to back. So yes I think Tekken is likely. Especially with a certain Mii costume missing

But an extra Marth with 2 extra Marth swords is probably more disappointing than Heihachi or whoever else from Tekken. Heihachi was probably more requested than Lloyd in the ballot

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm partial to the theory that no character who was a Mii costume is going to be part of this fighters pass, and that every character in it is going to be absolutely brand new to Smash Bros, having never featured in the game in any form, not trophy, sticker, music track, the whole shebang.

If Fighter 5 really is a Namco character, I think we'll find out which of those two Mii costumes is going to be our fighter in Season 2, if either of them. I pity the Lloyd and Heihachi guys, it's a tense moment for them, way more so than Geno, even if it is still hella tense.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
But an extra Marth with 2 extra Marth swords is probably more disappointing than Heihachi or whoever else from Tekken. Heihachi was probably more requested than Lloyd in the ballot
People would complain more about Tekken because "same character" complaint back to back

Last edited:

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
If they add Lloyd and he feels too much like another "Marth", then that just means they did a bad job with him. He's got more than enough moves to draw from to give him a fleshed out and unique moveset, and yeah it would be "another swordsman" but I mean at this point it's just kind of a class of character in Smash.

And I feel like listing every character who fights with a sword as a "Marth" but not calling every fist fighter a "Ryu" is hella disingenuous. I get there's a lot of them, but many of them are pretty popular characters.

It is definitely a little irksome that there are about four or five characters who feel like a slightly different take on the base of Marth, but Lloyd should not come out that way by any means. Like, he shouldn't have a counter or anything, Tales movesets analogue almost directly to Smash. If anything, they'd probably struggle to implement as many of his classic artes as possible.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm teetering on 60/40 for Geno at the moment. Some days, I feel 70/30, but it's more realistically and consistently 60/40. It looks pretty darn good, but my expectations are tempered.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I have never played a Fire Emblem game in my life, but for those who didn't play Awakening before Smash 4 came out, how many of you including myself thought that Lucina was just a genderbend version of Marth? I certainly thought she was at first.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
If they add Lloyd and he feels too much like another "Marth", then that just means they did a bad job with him. He's got more than enough moves to draw from to give him a fleshed out and unique moveset, and yeah it would be "another swordsman" but I mean at this point it's just kind of a class of character in Smash.

And I feel like listing every character who fights with a sword as a "Marth" but not calling every fist fighter a "Ryu" is hella disingenuous. I get there's a lot of them, but many of them are pretty popular characters.

It is definitely a little irksome that there are about four or five characters who feel like a slightly different take on the base of Marth, but Lloyd should not come out that way by any means. Like, he shouldn't have a counter or anything, Tales movesets analogue almost directly to Smash. If anything, they'd probably struggle to implement as many of his classic artes as possible.
I'm fairly certain he wouldn't be another Marth but knowing the community most will start calling him Marth which is just one reason why he wouldn't be over hype and if these rumours of fighter 5 being Hero or Terry levels are true (which may be the case as it is somewhat precedented) then Lloyd is the prime candidate especially with everything else going for him

I have never played a Fire Emblem game in my life, but for those who didn't play Awakening before Smash 4 came out, how many of you including myself thought that Lucina was just a genderbend version of Marth? I certainly thought she was at first.
Marth IN awakening looks like a genderbent version of Marth as well as Lucina imho

D

Deleted member

Yeah, sword users in Smash aren't the bane of my existence since some are really cool (Roy and maybe Hero for example).

Right now I am honestly cool with anyone getting in.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, sword users in Smash aren't the bane of my existence since some are really cool (Roy and maybe Hero for example).

When are we going to get one of the Marths in costumes from FE Heroes like Doc Mario playable?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Zero, Yoshimitsu, Nightmare, and Isaac are all mostly sword users I would love to see in Smash. Zero also has a buster cannon while Isaac is also a Earth mage. All of them would be very unique.

D

Deleted member

When are we going to get one of the Marths in costumes from FE Heroes like Doc Mario playable?
Tomorrow at 3pm.

Sakurai will upload a video showcasing all the FE reps in Smash getting costumes from FE Heroes as part of a huge free update that also adds the whole DK rap from Melee with the Lanky, Chunky and Cranky parts.

Droodle

Smash Lord

Fatman is literally speculating though, he is not an insider. I like the guy, but sometimes you all just take his words too seriously; even he himself stated that fighter 5 may be a total curveball. Yes, he's in Sabi's discord; but even I doubt Sabi knows who character #5 is. Remember that when the Mii leak came out, Fatman was thinking Doom Slayer is character 5.

None of the legitimate insiders know who fighter 5 is, it may very well be Dark Souls; but it very well may not. As far as I know he has never actually deconfirmed Reimu or KOS-MOS either.

Also yes, it is important that the leaker specifically states Hero instead of Erdrick. You're telling me that this guy knows every character in the fighters pass back in March, but somehow doesn't know the specific name of character 2?

It's just like the KidChameleon "leak", except that happened all the way back in December. It is just a prediction list, but people here think it is way more credible than it actually is due to 4chan. I guess we should expect KOS-MOS as character 5 because some random person guessed all the other characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom