• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
No one wanted him.
I didn't want him before he was announced, but I love him and will allow no harm to come to him.

^^^^ this this this

So far Sakurai has been introducing fighters that bring new things to the table in the pass. Joker has Arsene and the Revolution (?) Meter, Hero has the Command Menu and a small chance for critical hits, Banjo and Kazooie have their side special which they can only use five times per stock and renders them (mostly) invincible, and Terry can use Power Geyser and Buster Wolf using certain inputs at 100% damage or more.

When it comes to Tales, even though Lloyd is super popular due to Symphonia originating on GC, and Yuri has ToV Definitive on Switch in his favor, Velvet would be the most unique from a gameplay perspective. Yes I know there’s her outfit, but it’s nowhere near comparable to Mai Shiranui’s situation and Velvet’s idle animations don’t focus on sexuality; her design is more “edgy” than sexy. Just cover the cleavage a bit and make her shorts longer and you’re good
Rebellion meter on Joker.

Yeah, but Yuri is just absolutely massive as a character in the Tales franchise and Lloyd is the one Smash players seem to want. I just don't see them going for Velvet without quite a significant backlash, exacerbated because a number of Tales fans would be upset with the choice as would the Smash fans that might have otherwise accepted Tales. It just feels so much like it has to be Yuri or Lloyd at this point, with a leaning towards Lloyd given his relationship to Nintendo and the Smash fan base it seems.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
So, a lot of people ask me about my confidence in Geno and one aspect I don't think I've talked about concerning the "list" is the nature of it. If you want to ignore the rest of this post, here's the takeaway: more people would be upset with the names not on it than that are and Ryu is the most "controversial" one if that tells you anything. It's pretty fanservicey and I think that's the entire point of the post-pass characters. The Fighter's Pass had mostly been about Sakurai's choices and celebrating video game history while most of the hypothetical post Fighter Pass characters are the equivalent of drunk online shopping at 3 in the morning with a credit card.
Is this list similar to the leaked Square list last year? As in, those are all the names going around, but only some of them will make it in?

TBone06

Smash Ace
Okay, I don't post as much anymore, but this has kind of been bothersome. Regarding what Sabi has said and everything regarding FP5, this doesn't change anything. Geno was 99% NOT going to be in this fighters pass.

What Reggie said at the Game Awards was essentially the characters in the pass were going to be characters from franchises not already represented. Lets look at who we have. Joker, Hero, Banjo Kazooie and Terry. All four (five including Kazooie) have never had representation in Smash before. While I don't think there are rules, there certainly are patterns. Geno is in the game as a spirit, and while I don't think that deconfirms him for being playable, I never expected him to be part of this pass. I don't see why they would change their way of thinking for FP5 when the other four characters were all completely new, as Reggie stated.

Trust me, I've been around for a long time, longer than most of you and I want Geno in Smash more than any other character like a lot of you. He's my background on my laptop and represents a huge part of my childhood. But we have to be realistic. Geno wasn't ever going to happen for this fighters pass. Getting angry and salty about it isn't going to do anyone any good, especially yourselves. But guess what? There is more DLC, and this is really where Geno finally has a shot again. The lack of his Mii costume, the songs getting striked, him being one of the most popular characters that has yet to be made playable. There are still a lot of things going in his favour.

I'm not saying give up hope, because that's the last thing I'd say. But just temper your expectations time wise. Fighters Pass #2 or individual DLC is 100% more likely when Geno would be announced if he were to become playable. Yeah, waiting sucks, but we've already been doing it for a long time.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I’m still sticking to my theory that every single rep in the pass will be used to represent a new company, with Joker and Hero counting for Atlus and Enix respectively. I also tend to think that the pass will trend towards older, long-standing franchises(after the “ascended second-party” that is Bayo, Banjo’s legitimately the most recent playable third-party franchise).

Now, under those conditions, a lot of the best choices have sadly been... deconfirmed by insiders, apparently. Ryu, Crash, Scorpion, and now apparently Doomguy are all apparently out. Rayman, another frontrunner from that era, is as well(specifically for #5) due to Spirits. So, who does that leave?

Even though we did certainly just get Banjo in this pass, Master Chief still makes the most sense to me to properly represent Microsoft, since Banjo, as incredible of a character as he is, doesn’t really fill that role. As well, we still have that Ori/MCC leak from earlier in the year that appears half-true as of September, yet there has been absolutely no sign of the particular other half, which would make an insane TGA reveal. However, while I don’t necessarily think that one would prevent the other from ever happening since they would have two incredibly different playstyles, Chief as #5 would be the final nail in the coffin for the video leak’s Slayer, as there’s no way they’d be developed so close together.

Bandai-Namco’s a huge name in the leak scene right now, but I just can’t personally see a Namco rep being #5, with how the rest have been from new companies and all. ...However, that doesn’t count out Bandai! I could see Agumon being a pretty huge announcement, as it makes Smash an official example of (a) Digimon fighting Pokemon, which would be a pretty insane sight for those that grew up with both.

Reimu, in my opinion... actually has somewhat of a chance, and there’s still that tracklist leak from a while back. However, I personally doubt her as #5, especially with how Sakurai mentioned how special getting so many SNK songs was.

When it comes to iconic retro Playstation characters... sadly, the two best options are currently owned by a company that apparently is completely deconfirmed for #5 according to multiple insiders. So if they want a PS rep, they’d have to go a generation up with Ratchet, who would actually be a pretty great choice.

And for my final spot on this list, while I personally am not exactly a fan of this company for various reasons, I still have to mention a Valve rep as a legitimate possibility, in my opinion Pyro. Heavy’s more outright iconic, but in my opinion has considerably less moveset potential, especially in regards to recovery.

TL;DR version: I think that the character is going to be from an older franchise from a company with zero representation in Smash so far. My picks, not counting characters apparently deconfirmed by insiders, are Chief(counting Rare separately), Agumon(counting Namco separately), Reimu, Ratchet, and Pyro.
Some love for Agumon here, thank you

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is this list similar to the leaked Square list last year? As in, those are all the names going around, but only some of them will make it in?
More than likely. There's been about 7-8 names floating around and, with most people thinking "Season 2" will be 4 or 5 characters, not everyone will make the cut. Crash, Ryu, and Geno are the ones that have been made public by other people but I've been asked to not outright share the others in case they are actual leaks.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Not an official list, just names that have been in insider circles for awhile.
I’m sure you probably can’t, and sorry if I’m not getting the context of this, but with these names going around is this post pass? And if it is are there any first party character names, or is it all third party? I just don’t want to get my hopes up for some of my other most wanteds.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I’m sure you probably can’t, and sorry if I’m not getting the context of this, but with these names going around is this post pass? And if it is are there any first party character names, or is it all third party? I just don’t want to get my hopes up for some of my other most wanteds.
These are names that have honest to god been floating around as early as last September and they can be prime candidates for #5 and post pass. Also, there are first/second party names but not a lot. Most of the characters would be new to Smash too so, like I told the thread yesterday, if you're crossing your fingers for a ton of NPC promotions, you're going to be super disappointed.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
These are names that have honest to god been floating around as early as last September and they can be prime candidates for #5 and post pass. Also, there are first/second party names but not a lot. Most of the characters would be new to Smash too so, like I told the thread yesterday, if you're crossing your fingers for a ton of NPC promotions, you're going to be super disappointed.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
So today was an absolute massacre and we're back wondering who fighter 5 could be

I realize its hypocritical of me to use relevancy as an argument when I'm rooting for Geno and pushed for Banjo and Sakurai JUST made a point to say relevancy doesn't matter... but I just don't see Reimu at all when she's mostly region locked in terms of recognizability. I mean, Sakurai admitted that he wouldn't have added Lucas if he had known Mother 3 wasn't getting localized

So its up in the air now. I personally see Lloyd, Sora, a Capcom rep (Like Dante or RE), or maybe even Lara Croft as a surprise
Sakurai stopped the relevancy argument in the Terry Stream though.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I think i’m just going to stop posting Sabi’s latest stances. She’s been soooo wishy washy with this ****. I mean, just a while ago, she was saying the Mii leak is 99% false. Now apparently it’s completely back on the table, just unrelated to FP 5.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I'm glad that we're feeling pretty good about Geno regardless of the leak. I will say I think Doomguy still has a chance however at least as an icon of gaming in general. Doom popularized the FPS genre, and while not entirely a point in his favor I think it's funny Sakurai even considered someone like James Bond for Super Smash Bros. Melee at one point. I figure it's because of the popularity of GoldenEye on the N64 that he considered it, but I really don't know. It's interesting though because that does mean he considered a sort of FPS character somewhat at some point. I would think Doom has a bigger impact even more so nowadays since we have the classic titles plus the more recent entries which include Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal on the Switch.

All that is to say - yes, I still think the leak could potentially come true, but I also believe it can come out as fake (like the tweet that was posted a page or two ago with the modded Mallow hat in Ultimate). It's been an exciting week regardless and I'm glad to see so much activity in this thread.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
So first, Sabi is like, "Well, it could be real, could be fake, I dunno," then he's like, "Nah, it's 99% fake," and THEN he's like, "Well, it could be real, could be fake, I dunno," once again.

Sure, we know DLC5 isn't Doom Marine or Geno at least, but this miscommunication and wishy-washy behavior is why people have trouble believing him. It's frankly getting frustrating. At least Papa spoke with actual clarity and nailed the information we needed to know on the head in no uncertain terms.
S+++ post. This is absolutely how I feel about Sabi. Their attitude (being surprised people doubt them) is rather offputting. But thank you for putting into words what I feel with less frustration than yesterday.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well I'm glad my questions have finally been answered albeit though other people's requests. Knowing that Nintendo characters and promotions are a possibility to happen at some point make the future seem a little brighter and I really hope speculation will become a little looser on what is deemed "aceptable" now. BWD issac waluigi and maybe rex are the only ones that feel like they have a shot and I'm willing to bet only half of those at most are actually making the rounds. That said it's good to hope again.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
More than likely. There's been about 7-8 names floating around and, with most people thinking "Season 2" will be 4 or 5 characters, not everyone will make the cut. Crash, Ryu, and Geno are the ones that have been made public by other people but I've been asked to not outright share the others in case they are actual leaks.
New to smash in what sense? Cause I'll be damned if it isn't hard to think of any Nintendo characters that arent in, or havent been in smash at this point, in some shape or form.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think i’m just going to stop posting Sabi’s latest stances. She’s been soooo wishy washy with this ****. I mean, just a while ago, she was saying the Mii leak is 99% false. Now apparently it’s completely back on the table, just unrelated to FP 5.
That was always kind of the case though. Like I've been telling you all, it could be fake but still coincidentally have info that is right. I think people are too hung up on #5 because we're probably going to get another year of DLC once it passes. Besides, from what I know, #5 probably boils down to two characters that people decently want or a curve ball so I think it's going to be a good reveal either way. Yeah, sucks it's not Geno but nobody has expected Geno to be part of the Fighter Pass since August anyways.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Like a lot of NPCs that nobody expects them to be promoted as DLC fighters or just more characters that were not in smash?
Stuff like sprits.

New to smash in what sense? Cause I'll be damned if it isn't hard to think of any Nintendo characters that arent in, or havent been in smash at this point, in some shape or form.
As in literally new to Smash, meaning they've never been in a Smash game before. Most on the hypothetical "list" fall in this category.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Stuff like sprits.

As in literally new to Smash, meaning they've never been in a Smash game before. Most on the hypothetical "list" fall in this category.
So would they be like.... promotion picks? Cause I can't think of any prominent Nintendo characters who haven't been spirits, bosses, assists, trophies, stickers etc. That really only leaves new releases, in my mind.

D

Deleted member

Just wondering, is Doomguy part of this? I recall you saying that he was being passed around somewhat but I'm curious as to what extent.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Stuff like sprits.

Well if MOST on this hypothetical "list" are completely new to Smash, but Geno is still on the list, at least that's a plus. Nintendo/Sakurai HAS to know how popular and wanted he is. But I wouldn't be surprised with more third parties.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So would they be like.... promotion picks? Cause I can't think of any prominent Nintendo characters who haven't been spirits, bosses, assists, trophies, stickers etc. That really only leaves new releases, in my mind.
No. From what I've gathered, Season 2 would be overwhelmingly about fan service with maybe like 2 possibly being tied to promotions.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I wonder if the whole "missing spirits" thing from way back when is actually going to pay off now. Poochy and sylux might not be in a list of fanservice but porky or Adeline I could possibly see being stretched that way. Would be weird for 2 Kirby characters so I think seeing one of dee and Adeline would soft deconfirm the other.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I gotta say then, I'm stumped about what first party characters have literally never been in smash before.
Well we have a Three Houses Character, a SwSh character and an Astral Chain character but other than those I'm stumped too I can't really think of any first party characters that haven't been in Smash before.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I gotta say then, I'm stumped about what first party characters have literally never been in smash before.
Yeah, and if that’s the case it doesn’t sound very fanservicey. Most of the first party fan favorites have been in Smash already in some form.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just wondering, is Doomguy part of this? I recall you saying that he was being passed around somewhat but I'm curious as to what extent.
Not... Really? He's only seriously been part of the conversation for the past week. People kind of weighed the idea of him being a curve ball for #5 but it seems like most people have moved on and concluded that, if he's coming, he'd be post pass.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So not AT’s? That sucks to hear. Maybe it’ll change. But there’s a lot of spirits I’d like to see upgraded so that’s cool.
A while back he mentioned that there is one that was speculated on being overturned but that isn't actually based on any info as far as were aware so not in this list. Comforting to hear coming from the insiders though.

TheDarkMix

Smash Rookie
I never really understood why so much despair for # 5 knowing that more content is coming in the future

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

Ryu was the most controversial pick on the list according to him, there obviously isn’t any promotional picks (Like FE Three Houses or Sword & Shield)

D

Deleted member

No. From what I've gathered, Season 2 would be overwhelmingly about fan service with maybe like 2 possibly being tied to promotions.
If we do end up getting 2 spirit upgrades I could only really see: Geno and Rex/Pyra (hence the second pass having some first party characters but not a lot like you said) or Geno and Rayman (Rayman is another very popular character that a lot of the fanbase wants but gave up on which fits with what you said about the post-pass DLC being Geno-tier).

I'd honestly be fine with either.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Everybody forgets Piranha Plant is technically our only first party DLC, so why is everybody complaining that we don't have any?
Because it's terrible to end first party support. This is Nintendo's All-Star cast, so I guess that means every Nintendo character is ranked way below generic enemy #3 from Mario, so much so that they now have to get characters from other companies now.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
A while back he mentioned that there is one that was speculated on being overturned but that isn't actually based on any info as far as were aware so not in this list. Comforting to hear coming from the insiders though.
Yeah. I mean I’m not going to hide my bias. The only two that I REALLY want that are left are Geno and Isaac. It’s really comforting to hear how much Geno has going for him now, but obviously Isaac is in AT hell and needs a lot to go for him to have a chance.

Hearing about the rest of the DLC being aimed at pleasing fans makes me excited......or I would think it would....but I don’t know..

After Geno I think Isaac has been the most wanted in the community since the Brawl days. I know Waluigi is popular too, but a lot of that is due to memes and him being a Mario character and being more mainstream.

I know it’s my bias, but I feel like after Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo all we would need is Geno and Isaac to wrap up the longtime Smash community major hitters. But Isaac’s status, only third party characters being talked about, and hardly any promotions makes it really hard to hear as an Isaac fan.

Sorry, not to detract from Geno because I know this is the Geno thread. It’s just most of the insiders come here. Still happy my boy Geno is very likely.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Stuff like sprits.

Nintendo character that’s never been in a Smash game at all? That’s actually a pretty narrow list I imagine, besides Three Houses and Sword/Shield content.

maybe I’ll get Ray 01 and that HD remake of Custom Robo after all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom