• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
While I'm not really sure how he could be implemented in Smash a way that both makes sense and isn't boring, if that could be figured out I think Nathan Drake would be a nice addition.
Nathan Drake is from a series known for MOSTLY being about narrative, with very little stand-out gameplay. Crowbarring him into Smash seems like a very poor idea IMO.

Kratos or Ratchet & Clank would be much better Sony inclusions.

So, a lot of people ask me about my confidence in Geno and one aspect I don't think I've talked about concerning the "list" is the nature of it. If you want to ignore the rest of this post, here's the takeaway: more people would be upset with the names not on it than that are and Ryu is the most "controversial" one if that tells you anything. It's pretty fanservicey and I think that's the entire point of the post-pass characters. The Fighter's Pass had mostly been about Sakurai's choices and celebrating video game history while most of the hypothetical post Fighter Pass characters are the equivalent of drunk online shopping at 3 in the morning with a credit card.
For some reason I take this as a Rayman deconfirmation, which saddens me.

T2by4

Smash Lord
The main piece of evidence right now that it's fake is that Nintendo's not decapitating people left and right about it. Nintendo tends to freak out about bigger leaks and goes full force. For example, they're having a full on nuclear ****ing meltdown about Sword and Shield. The leaker will probably be sued into poverty, review copies are being put on hold indefinitely, events surrounding the game are being flat out cancelled, and Nintendo's even allowing people to cancel their pre-orders over it. The issue though is nobody still knows if it's fake or not or if this situation even warrants going full SWAT team over. That's where insider circles are stuck right now.
Pretty much what you said is how I see it. I feel like they're going nuclear on the pokemon guy because the game is already getting trashed by people, and they want to sell as many copies as possible. The smash mii costume leak isn't a big deal but they're still probably gonna find out who did it.

Last edited:

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Hope everyone is settling in for the upcoming holiday season. It will probably be a while before another Direct announcement and especially if you're waiting on the VGAs for some kind of Smash news, so in the meantime get cozy and comfy as the weather chills down. The Yetee just busted out a holiday sweater-themed lineup (also available as shirts) and I think you all might like some of the designs put up, especially the 2nd in the top row in the pic I'm posting.

https://theyetee.com/

EI2w87nWsAA5Qjo.jpg

This will probably be the 5th or 6th piece of clothing I buy with Geno on it and I don't reget a single one. Here's hoping for an eventful Smash Winter!

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I know Fatman's probably getting his inbox blown up right now, and I don't want to be "that guy", but...

Fatman, do you have any opinion on Sabi's source saying the Mii leak is "most likely" fake? I think this is the first time we've received negative input from an insider instead of just "I don't know"

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I know Fatman's probably getting his inbox blown up right now, and I don't want to be "that guy", but...

Fatman, do you have any opinion on Sabi's source saying the Mii leak is "most likely" fake? I think this is the first time we've received negative input from an insider instead of just "I don't know"
See:
The main piece of evidence right now that it's fake is that Nintendo's not decapitating people left and right about it. Nintendo tends to freak out about bigger leaks and goes full force. For example, they're having a full on nuclear ****ing meltdown about Sword and Shield. The leaker will probably be sued into poverty, review copies are being put on hold indefinitely, events surrounding the game are being flat out cancelled, and Nintendo's even allowing people to cancel their pre-orders over it. The issue though is nobody still knows if it's fake or not or if this situation even warrants going full SWAT team over. That's where insider circles are stuck right now.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Don't expect to many.... There's really only 3 that absolutely needs to happen. Man that's a scary statement though.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Geno thread when Fatman says "oh yeah Geno is being heard a lot:

giphy.gif

Geno thread when Sabi and Fatman say why people are starting to think Jiggle Mallow is fake but no decisions are being made one way of the other:

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Like I explained, the reasoning I gave is the reasoning some insiders are saying it's fake. Historically speaking, this could wind up being like the "Palutena leak" back in early 2014, a well done fake but something that ends up being true anyways which is why I'm metaphorically smacking people in the back of the head when they insist that Geno and Doom Guy's chances live and breath only because of Jiggle Mallow.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I can see how Nintendo not going after the leaker would cause some people to think it’s a fake leak, but correct me if I’m wrong, the Ken leak wasn’t attacked like SwSh is being right now. Also they’re two Mii costumes, and not characters so I would think they’re much lower priority considering how definite those would be. There’s still some wiggle room with who would be characters (nothing saying Geno has to be playable, could just have his Mii costume again sadly. Also Cacodemon could come with a general Bethesda rep). I think this leak is just more ambiguous to the general public compared to those in the speculation scene and maybe that could be why Nintendo hasn’t gone after anyone just yet.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
The fact that he's willing to say they're happening at all is great even if geno kinda proves that himself. But I'm completely happy with "not too many" as long as that means the idea is absolutely on the table. I've come to terms that most of the snow globe squad is done for but if only the ladder could be extended down just a liiiiiitle father and scoop up Isaac out of the pit before the end as well I'd be perfectly happy with where ultimate ends up no matter what that is.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So guys, I've been chatting with Sabi and I think something that hasn't been delivered quite well is the potential source.

So, I want to list some things right now.
  1. I don't know who the source is. I didn't ask and I doubt Sabi would tell me if I did, regardless of how much I value his position and do my best to fact check and stop misinformation about him. Frankly that doesn't matter: all that matters is that Sabi finds them reliable and credible.
  2. This source that Sabi trusts apparently already knows who Fighter #5 truly is. I feel like this is entirely possible but I didn't ask for further information. They could easily be wrong or right and I didn't ask who they have heard #5 is. I'm not here for spoilers this close to a possible reveal.
  3. This same source who supposedly knows Fighter #5 is the one saying it's likely fake. If these costumes are real and meant to be coming with the next fighter or so, this person would be one to find out that information.
  4. This source doesn't know for sure yet and is working on getting info back to Sabi. Sabi will know when he knows and we just have to wait.
  5. I would like to point out that not only is nothing concrete either way, but that these costumes could be farther ahead then this source has knowledge of. This could be that even though this source check in, they could still potentially be wrong if they have no info past Fighter #5.
  6. If this source REALLY DOES know Fighter #5, this makes me feel like Sabi could be hinting at them being revealed at the VGAs. Honestly, if they do know for sure, it makes sense if the reveal was coming soon as reliable stuff usually only comes out shortly before release or reveal.
Keep it together, boys n gals. We're in the end game now.

D

Deleted member

So, a lot of people ask me about my confidence in Geno and one aspect I don't think I've talked about concerning the "list" is the nature of it. If you want to ignore the rest of this post, here's the takeaway: more people would be upset with the names not on it than that are and Ryu is the most "controversial" one if that tells you anything. It's pretty fanservicey and I think that's the entire point of the post-pass characters. The Fighter's Pass had mostly been about Sakurai's choices and celebrating video game history while most of the hypothetical post Fighter Pass characters are the equivalent of drunk online shopping at 3 in the morning with a credit card.
If what you say is true hopefully drunk Sakurai bought a certain blue doll and blade wielding duo ;)

Sure all of those characters would require promotions but I don't think two promotions would be too much to ask.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
In regards to the MII LEAK SPECIFICALLY, not Geno...

That Mallow costume looked sooooo good. I hope him and Smithy are still coming...

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
In regards to the MII LEAK SPECIFICALLY, not Geno...

That Mallow costume looked sooooo good. I hope him and Smithy are still coming...
Dude, take it easy.

It hasn't been disconfirmed yet. As of right now, it's as solid as ever.

As for Geno's chance, even without this it's still kinda crazy for him I have to agree.

Both the Mii Costume list and leak could be proven fake today and I would still be confident in his chances!

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
1) People keep sleeping on poor Amaterasu for a Capcom rep. She has a great arsenal to pull from.

2) "Not too many"? Interesting. If any, I am willing to bet it'll be Geno, Rayman, or Bandana Dee, if any promotions come out of this lineup. With Ryu being the most controversial, I have to raise a few eyebrows at what this lineup contains.

3) I'm working on a new project since I finished moving into my new house called the "Wall of Smash." It's basically a massive timeline of Smash fighters, their original promo art design, the game they debuted in, the year it released, their logo for their series, and a description for the fighter. I'll have to go through 80+ fighters but it'll be worth it. Really hoping I can add Geno to it someday.
Example:
King Dedede ⭐
First Debut: *Kirby's Dreamland* (1992)
Description: Self-proclaimed king of Dreamland, King Dedede stole all the food in Dreamland for himself until Kirby came along! Since then, the two have saved Popstar from the forces of evil for years...

I am completely open to suggestions on descriptions.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
As far as Spirit promotions go, I really only need Geno, Rex, and Shantae; anything else would just be icing on the cake.

I just want that stupid fan rule of Spirits deconfirming characters for the remainder of Ultimate's lifespan to finally be laid to rest.

T2by4

Smash Lord
As far as Spirit promotions go, I really only need Geno, Rex, and Shantae; anything else would just be icing on the cake.

I just want that stupid fan rule of Spirits deconfirming characters for the remainder of Ultimate's lifespan to finally be laid to rest.
Oh yeah, wasn't sakurai really sorry about the whole rex thing? I don't think he's gonna leave ya'll hanging like that.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
So guys, I've been chatting with Sabi and I think something that hasn't been delivered quite well is the potential source.

So, I want to list some things right now.
  1. I don't know who the source is. I didn't ask and I doubt Sabi would tell me if I did, regardless of how much I value his position and do my best to fact check and stop misinformation about him. Frankly that doesn't matter: all that matters is that Sabi finds them reliable and credible.
  2. This source that Sabi trusts apparently already knows who Fighter #5 truly is. I feel like this is entirely possible but I didn't ask for further information. They could easily be wrong or right and I didn't ask who they have heard #5 is. I'm not here for spoilers this close to a possible reveal.
  3. This same source who supposedly knows Fighter #5 is the one saying it's likely fake. If these costumes are real and meant to be coming with the next fighter or so, this person would be one to find out that information.
  4. This source doesn't know for sure yet and is working on getting info back to Sabi. Sabi will know when he knows and we just have to wait.
  5. I would like to point out that not only is nothing concrete either way, but that these costumes could be farther ahead then this source has knowledge of. This could be that even though this source check in, they could still potentially be wrong if they have no info past Fighter #5.
  6. If this source REALLY DOES know Fighter #5, this makes me feel like Sabi could be hinting at them being revealed at the VGAs. Honestly, if they do know for sure, it makes sense if the reveal was coming soon as reliable stuff usually only comes out shortly before release or reveal.
Keep it together, boys n gals. We're in the end game now.
The biggest takeaway I get from this is that it could easily be a reverse-Verge-and-Hero: with no actual ability to say 'yes, this is fake', they are just assuming it is because it's not the fighter they've heard info on.

The scenario that comes to mind first is that the 5th fighter is neither Geno nor Doomguy (my personal guess is a Namco character, given all 3 of their Mii costumes are still missing), and the two of them are both post-FP characters.

Unless the informant has the ability to specifically say these are fake, from the current situation all they seem capable of saying is 'they aren't FP5.'

Firox

Smash Master
  1. This source that Sabi trusts apparently already knows who Fighter #5 truly is. I feel like this is entirely possible but I didn't ask for further information. They could easily be wrong or right and I didn't ask who they have heard #5 is. I'm not here for spoilers this close to a possible reveal.
  2. This same source who supposedly knows Fighter #5 is the one saying it's likely fake. If these costumes are real and meant to be coming with the next fighter or so, this person would be one to find out that information.
  3. This source doesn't know for sure yet and is working on getting info back to Sabi. Sabi will know when he knows and we just have to wait.
  4. I would like to point out that not only is nothing concrete either way, but that these costumes could be farther ahead then this source has knowledge of. This could be that even though this source check in, they could still potentially be wrong if they have no info past Fighter #5.
Based on these points, I've drawn the following conclusions:

A) If the source knows who fighter #5 is and they doubt the leak, then I'm 95% sure that fighter #5 is NOT Geno or Doomslayer.
B) The leak itself has yet to be solidly disproven aside from the source's apparent knowledge of fighter #5, thus
C) Unless someone presents solid evidence against the leak, I would conclude that Geno and/or Doomslayer will appear somewhere within the next fighter's pass but not before. This would make sense since Sakurai likely didn't consider Geno as a fighter until the number of DLC got expanded by Nintendo. This also explains why Sabi tweeted that they were "tempering expectations" for the VGA's.....because she knows that it won't reveal Doomslayer OR Geno as fighter #5.

Last edited:

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
Operating under the assumption that the leak is fake, and just holding out hope they’re both in anyways. At least Geno obviously but Doomguy is another one I’m very fond of

Dynamic Worlok

I think some of you might be misinterpreting the "don't expect too many promotions" quote. In context it appears to mean that geno might be the only one, if at all. Don't go around expecting a set number of promotions here.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Oh yeah, wasn't sakurai really sorry about the whole rex thing? I don't think he's gonna leave ya'll hanging like that.
Remember. The Xenoblade fanbase is the only fanbase Sakurai has ever apologised to personally when a character of theirs became a Mii costume.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Based on these points, I've drawn the following conclusions:

A) If the source knows who fighter #5 is and they doubt the leak, then I'm 95% sure that fighter #5 is NOT Geno or Doomslayer.
B) The leak itself has yet to be solidly disproven aside from the source's apparent knowledge of fighter #5, thus
C) Unless someone presents solid evidence against the leak, I would conclude that Geno and/or Doomslayer will appear somewhere within the next fighter's pass but not before. This would make sense since Sakurai likely didn't consider Geno as a fighter until the number of DLC got expanded by Nintendo. This also explains why Sabi tweeted that they were "tempering expectations" for the VGA's.....because she knows that it won't reveal Doomslayer OR Geno as fighter #5.
I do question as to why she liked that one specific tweet that said doomguy on jan 17th and geno after. It was the only tweet she liked and it was very specific.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I do question as to why she liked that one specific tweet that said doomguy on jan 17th and geno after. It was the only tweet she liked and it was very specific.
Accidental likes happen all the time on Twitter, especially on mobile when trying to scroll.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
That alone gives me a tiny bit of hope in Rex being promoted.

It also doesn't hurt that Sakurai is a fan of Xenoblade and loved XC2, so hopefully "Sakurai bias" wins out again lol.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I think some of you might be misinterpreting the "don't expect too many promotions" quote. In context it appears to mean that geno might be the only one, if at all. Don't go around expecting a set number of promotions here.
If we are getting Geno promoted, I would at least expect Rex to also be promoted as Sakurai had specifically stated Rex was too late to join, that's the most specific Sakurai has been when confirming/deconfirming a character.

Also consider the fact that most of the fan-favorite soundtracks from XC 2 are missing. The only way I can see Rex NOT get in is if they put XC 2 KOS-MOS in instead, along with the stage and music.

So at this point I'd say the most likely promotions are Rex, Geno, and Isaac in that order.

Dynamic Worlok

If we are getting Geno promoted, I would at least expect Rex to also be promoted as Sakurai had specifically stated Rex was too late to join, that's the most specific Sakurai has been when confirming/deconfirming a character.

Also consider the fact that most of the fan-favorite soundtracks from XC 2 are missing. The only way I can see Rex NOT get in is if they put XC 2 KOS-MOS in instead, along with the stage and music.

So at this point I'd say the most likely promotions are Rex, Geno, and Isaac in that order.
I mean I don't claim to know what the future holds, I just didn't want this to become a game of telephone and have people believing a misconception because I paraphrased one of fatman's posts

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, I think Rex is out of the running, as if he were to become playable, both the Mii Costume and the apology would be pointless. He’ll just have to get his chance another day.

anyway, Stan Elma. I have a good feeling about her being a Spirit promotion

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I mean I don't claim to know what the future holds, I just didn't want this to become a game of telephone and have people believing a misconception because I paraphrased one of fatman's posts
Sakurai once said there might be “one or two more 3rd party characters” in Brawl after Snake, and a LOT of people got their hearts set on two, so I agree with this line of thinking. For now I think it’s fair to assume that Geno is the only “promotion”

But c’mon they could totally just replace Bomberman’s Assist Trophy with Max

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
With Geno and Doomguy potentially not being Fighter's Pass characters but could show up afterwards combined with the amount of songs SNK got I think it's Reimu and the Reimu leak was real.

Helps that Touhou was why the Bullet-Hell genre is less niche so she would be part of the "History of gaming" lineup Sakurai has been doing.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Yeah, I think Rex is out of the running, as if he were to become playable, both the Mii Costume and the apology would be pointless. He’ll just have to get his chance another day.

anyway, Stan Elma. I have a good feeling about her being a Spirit promotion
The Mii costume and apology were issued at a time when future DLC beyond the initial Fighter's Pass was uncertain, though.

Not saying that Rex's chances are particularly great even with that, but I still feel like he's the most likely choice for a new Xenoblade rep if Sakurai considers adding one.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
So, different leak yet same dance I take it. This is why you take every with a grain of salt.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Sakurai once said there might be “one or two more 3rd party characters” in Brawl after Snake, and a LOT of people got their hearts set on two, so I agree with this line of thinking. For now I think it’s fair to assume that Geno is the only “promotion”

But c’mon they could totally just replace Bomberman’s Assist Trophy with Max
I mean it's totally possible there is no promotion at all, it's dangerous to assume that Geno would be the only one promoted.

That said, if it is only Geno I would be pretty happy because that means Yuri/KOS-MOS would most likely be the Namco rep, and they are high on my list.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
If we get promotions it really should be Geno, Isaac, and Waluigi to finish off the big fan demand characters. Although really it sucks in general they don't regard more first party additions for Smash. The 3rd parties are cool for sure but dang some balance would be nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom