• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can't find the exact timestamp but it was basically something along the lines of "PAC-MAN is Namco's only fighter so I always refer to him as "your character" when talking to them.
Oh yeah... That quote. That probably doesn't mean anything for the next Namco rep if anything.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
While not entirely without precedent I can't feel confident in a december direct happening. If one gets announced though especially a smash one I expect both reveals easy and maybe even somthing more.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I've said it once and I'll say it again:
Geno and Doom Slayer should get a double reveal and it needs to be titled "Heaven & Hell"

Firox

Smash Master
A double reveal would be quite nice, though I'm not counting on it.
I'm gonna be honest, if Fighter#5 comes during the VGA's, I highly doubt the double reveal due to the time limitations and potential thunder of fighter #5 being stolen by fighter #6 without any further context for Sakurai to add. That's why I'm hoping more for a special direct. If we get a direct specifically for Smash, then I'd give it a 90% chance of a double reveal, especially since we got totally stiffed for new characters with the Terry release video which rarely happens for presentations of that length. In addition, the mii costume leak and this year's development cycle this far for DLC suggests that fighter #5 at very least is pretty far into development. If we get a special direct without so much as a tease of fighter pass#2 or fighter#6 I'll be very surprised.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, something real quick, I appreciate the hell out of all of you. This isn't spurred by anything that's happened (or alcohol or depression or my meds because you all know me pretty well at this point) but the fact that a lot of us here have been around for like a year and a half, taking good news and bad news together as a community, is honestly great. I've known some of you for only a few months and some of you literally half my life but I'm happy I can call this community "home" and keep coming back here day after day. Your ongoing companionship is a comfort and honestly a small joy in my life that I wouldn't trade for anything. I hope we don't have to wait too much longer for Geno but, either way, I'm thankful for and appreciative of the Geno fanbase.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
So, something real quick, I appreciate the hell out of all of you. This isn't spurred by anything that's happened (or alcohol or depression or my meds because you all know me pretty well at this point) but the fact that a lot of us here have been around for like a year and a half, taking good news and bad news together as a community, is honestly great. I've known some of you for only a few months and some of you literally half my life but I'm happy I can call this community "home" and keep coming back here day after day. Your ongoing companionship is a comfort and honestly a small joy in my life that I wouldn't trade for anything. I hope we don't have to wait too much longer for Geno but, either way, I'm thankful for and appreciative of the Geno fanbase.
****, I knew it. Geno's been deconfirmed!
I kid I kid. Always a pleasure to be a part of a fandom with people like you in it!

OffBi

Smash Ace
Oh, did ya hear news about Geno from your insiders, Fatman?:denzel:

D

Deleted member

Oh, did ya hear news about Geno from your insiders, Fatman?:denzel:
"this isn't spurred by anything that's happened"

...but then again a good number of us didn't believe that Nintendo was telling the truth about the Terry presentation. Smash speculation has really hurt our collective ability to trust, huh?

RingJ5

Smash Ace
A double reveal would be quite nice, though I'm not counting on it.
What I’m sadly not counting out in any way is basically the most underwhelming double reveal possible: Slayer gets a massive Game Awards reveal, Doug Bowser or someone starts talking a bit with Geoff, and then right before he leaves, drops “Oh, hey, we’re happy to announce as well that Geno will be the first post-pass character” and then walks away, no CGI, no gameplay, no trailer of any sort, just the announcement.

Don’t get me wrong, it’d still be massively hype for us, but... I’d still absolutely want a full reveal trailer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What I’m sadly not counting out in any way is basically the most underwhelming double reveal possible: Slayer gets a massive Game Awards reveal, Doug Bowser or someone starts talking a bit with Geoff, and then right before he leaves, drops “Oh, hey, we’re happy to announce as well that Geno will be the first post-pass character” and then walks away, no CGI, no gameplay, no trailer of any sort, just the announcement.

Don’t get me wrong, it’d still be massively hype for us, but... I still absolutely want a full reveal trailer.
That's kind of weird to assume as a possibility. I mean, sure, it isn't impossible, but they basically have a tradition going of showing impressive character trailers. No one's gonna get cheated out of a reveal trailer, regardless of the venue.

Droodle

Smash Lord
As more and more stuff comes out for the Mii leak; I'm leaning more towards it being real (70/30). I personally don't think Doomguy will be #5, but instead Dovahkiin.

Geno is probably #6, but there is a small possibility he ends up being an upgraded Mii Costume (a la Sans). That would suck, but I can totally see it happening.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Likewise Fatman, your efforts have kept hope alive for Geno and fans of him for Smash, even in the seemingly darkest periods. Thanks a bunch, man!

Dynamic Worlok

I have to wonder, if they do a double reveal trailer, which character gets a stage? As far as I can tell, every single time multiple characters get revealed together, the gameplay segment has never shown more than one stage. Best case scenario (lack of meme value aside) we get two trailers back to back, so both doomguy and geno get a stage.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
We largely think the same about you. Seeing you poof out of existence for 2 months was a real drag and this place just isn't the same without you and the rest of the old guard.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
"this isn't spurred by anything that's happened"

...but then again a good number of us didn't believe that Nintendo was telling the truth about the Terry presentation. Smash speculation has really hurt our collective ability to trust, huh?
Pretty much. I will say though that Brew's feelings about Geno being a "safe bet" is kind of the general consensus among insiders now. Yes, there is still a lot of doubt and suspicion about Jiggle Mallow but I'm happy to relay that a lot of people consider it irrelevant to Geno's chances. Obviously, if it's real, it's a silver bullet and GG to all the haters but if it's fake then whatever, it's just kind of irksome because we spent so much time dissecting it. People are starting to feel that way about Doom Guy too but it's much further behind since, like I said the other day, serious discussion about Doom Guy behind the scenes is literally about a week old now.

D

Deleted member

Pretty much. I will say though that Brew's feelings about Geno being a "safe bet" is kind of the general consensus among insiders now. Yes, there is still a lot of doubt and suspicion about Jiggle Mallow but I'm happy to relay that a lot of people consider it irrelevant to Geno's chances. Obviously, if it's real, it's a silver bullet and GG to all the haters but if it's fake then whatever, it's just kind of irksome because we spent so much time dissecting it. People are starting to feel that way about Doom Guy too but it's much further behind since, like I said the other day, serious discussion about Doom Guy behind the scenes is literally about a week old now.
Dissecting the leaks is my favorite part, right behind getting characters I actually want. The only time it becomes bothersome is when it turns out fake and no one fesses up.

I think we all know where my finger is pointing.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
While I'm nowhere selfish or masochistic enough to trade it it's really going to be sad to say goodbye to this old place when the time comes, I'm sure I'll see many of you on the new general thread or some shiny new character discord that gets made but its certainly never going to be like what we have here. I guess that's just the price to pay for victory in this business.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While Geno isn't my number 1 most wanted character ever, I will say that there is no Smash fanbase like Geno's. His community is something special like no other. Honestly, I'm more on board for Geno because of all you guys and how long and hard most of you have fought to get him in at this point.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Geno feels like one of the last of the quote-on-quote “Old Guard” - those characters that have been around and highly requested for years and across multiple games.

Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo all got into Ultimate, and aside from Isaac, Waluigi and other ATs, it seems like Geno is the last one standing, and once he gets in it’s like a chapter in Smash Bros history will close. Which is both awesome, but also bittersweet in a sense too.

In a post-Geno world, who even becomes the “new guard” frontrunners? Both among 1st- and 3rd-party characters

Dynamic Worlok

While I'm nowhere selfish or masochistic enough to trade it it's really going to be sad to say goodbye to this old place when the time comes, I'm sure I'll see many of you on the new general thread or some shiny new character discord that gets made but its certainly never going to be like what we have here. I guess that's just the price to pay for victory in this business.
I mean we can always band together again for smash 6. Because boy you know there are gonna be cuts, and nobody is safe. It's gonna get bloody.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
That's kind of weird to assume as a possibility. I mean, sure, it isn't impossible, but they basically have a tradition going of showing impressive character trailers. No one's gonna get cheated out of a reveal trailer, regardless of the venue.
It’s mostly just due to how Geno doesn’t really seem like a big Game Awards sort of announcement, yet things seem to be setting themselves up for a big double-reveal, like with the site update and such. I’m definitely hoping otherwise, though.

As more and more stuff comes out for the Mii leak; I'm leaning more towards it being real (70/30). I personally don't think Doomguy will be #5, but instead Dovahkiin.

Geno is probably #6, but there is a small possibility he ends up being an upgraded Mii Costume (a la Sans). That would suck, but I can totally see it happening.
See, I could have absolutely seen that happening three or four months ago, but at this point things have built up far too much. If Geno’s just a returning costume, they really, really should have ripped that bandage off either with Hero or Banjo. Even without this leak getting everyone’s hopes up, a Geno costume now would just feel like a massive kick to the face.

As for Dovahkiin, while I personally think it’s Slayer, I would actually quite prefer either him or Vault Boy(and that’s not even because of my want for Chief, who I still think could get in later as post-pass regardless of Slayer).

I think that Vault Boy could fit really, really well into Smash and be quite easy to tone down for a general audience, and for Dovahkiin, well, the idea of FUS RO DAH-ing people into the blast zone is just incredible.

I really hope that we at least get some outfits from those series if we do get Slayer after all.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Ive been here a long time as well Fatman nearly same as you and ive been pretty much ONLY the Geno Thread. Off and On though when i come back i am here in this Geno thread. Im with you i hope our puppet man comes to life pretty soon and I know Sakurai wont disappoint. Heres to GENO IN 2019!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In a post-Geno world, who even becomes the “new guard” frontrunners? Both among 1st- and 3rd-party characters
From the way I'm seeing things right now and onwards after Geno?

1st party wise: Isaac, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong

3rd party wise: Shantae, Crash Bandicoot, Sora

RingJ5

Smash Ace
From the way I'm seeing things right now and onwards after Geno?

1st party wise: Isaac, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong

3rd party wise: Shantae, Crash Bandicoot, Sora
Add Rayman to that, and that’s basically my list as well.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I mean we can always band together again for smash 6. Because boy you know there are gonna be cuts, and nobody is safe. It's gonna get bloody.
Your absolutely right about that, but frankly I have extreme doubt about any of the major fan characters are going to get cut especially just one game after they made it. Sakurai's only human after all and I know if I were him the outcry would break my heart.

I think the majority of those cuts are going to be for all the new crossover characters since with all the fighters fully built already for ultimate I imagine the legal rats nest smash has become is the far bigger problem than development issues.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It’s mostly just due to how Geno doesn’t really seem like a big Game Awards sort of announcement, yet things seem to be setting themselves up for a big double-reveal, like with the site update and such. I’m definitely hoping otherwise, though.
Out of the whole Fighter's Pass, if I wanted to show off anyone at The Game Awards, it would have been Banjo, but they mixed the formula up on us. For a long time, people have complained that Smash reveals start off incredible and peter out towards the end, and the DLC is a roller coaster, so far. I don't think there's a "Game Awards" type of reveal in Nintendo's playbook right now. Honestly, I really doubt a double reveal.

Probably literally 100 pages ago, I went over how there is no purported extra slots on the website according to the code on resetera, but if someone has found something to refute that claim, I'd love to see it. The code changed, yes, but it made a more general container class for fighters rather than adding "space" for fighters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
It’s definitely going to be an end of era when it happens For many MANY fans of Geno
I honestly miss the big old Ridley and King k. Rool thread

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Geno feels like one of the last of the quote-on-quote “Old Guard” - those characters that have been around and highly requested for years and across multiple games.

Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo all got into Ultimate, and aside from Isaac, Waluigi and other ATs, it seems like Geno is the last one standing, and once he gets in it’s like a chapter in Smash Bros history will close. Which is both awesome, but also bittersweet in a sense too.

In a post-Geno world?
I want to say some of the younger generation (Smash 4) may want a chance at the the spotlight too and they'll get their chance some day...

Attachments

Rohanx17

Smash Lord

Isaac definently, was able to tangle with k rools numbers in ballot polls and even after the third party wave and taking an AT to the face he's still in the top 5, that's just crazy

Waluigi BWD will sit under that, and then all the other perennial requests like skull kid Ashley paper Mario Krystal Dixie kong ect. 3rd parties are harder to gauge because there hasn't been enough time since the post joker era began to gauge it. Though if I had to take a guess shantae shovel knight sora rayman crash bomberman zero Phoenix Dante are all good candidates.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord

See, I could have absolutely seen that happening three or four months ago, but at this point things have built up far too much. If Geno’s just a returning costume, they really, really should have ripped that bandage off either with Hero or Banjo. Even without this leak getting everyone’s hopes up, a Geno costume now would just feel like a massive kick to the face.

As for Dovahkiin, while I personally think it’s Slayer, I would actually quite prefer either him or Vault Boy(and that’s not even because of my want for Chief, who I still think could get in later as post-pass regardless of Slayer).

I think that Vault Boy could fit really, really well into Smash and be quite easy to tone down for a general audience, and for Dovahkiin, well, the idea of FUS RO DAH-ing people into the blast zone is just incredible.

I really hope that we at least get some outfits from those series if we do get Slayer after all.
Yeah, it would be cruel for Geno to be an upgraded Mii costume after so much, but it's totally possible. Remember, people thought both Isaac/Shadow would be playable in the base game because they had so much evidence going for them too, but they waited all the way till the end to reveal them as Assist Trophies.

Also both Lloyd and Heihachi are missing their Mii costumes, but I doubt both of them will be post-pass characters. I've stated this before but I think Yuri will come with both Lloyd and Heihachi Mii costumes, as well as a KOS-MOS (?) Mii Costume.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Out of the whole Fighter's Pass, if I wanted to show off anyone at The Game Awards, it would have been Banjo, but they mixed the formula up on us. For a long time, people have complained that Smash reveals start off incredible and peter out towards the end, and the DLC is a roller coaster, so far. I don't think there's a "Game Awards" type of reveal in Nintendo's playbook right now. Honestly, I really doubt a double reveal.

Probably literally 100 pages ago, I went over how there is no purported extra slots on the website according to the code on resetera, but if someone has found something to refute that claim, I'd love to see it. The code changed, yes, but it made a more general container class for fighters rather than adding "space" for fighters.
I’d say that Slayer is a good TGA sort of reveal. Well-known character, most might assume he’d never get into Smash, has a big upcoming game that the trailer could be initially disguised as being for... it lines up, I’d say.

As for the code thing, I assumed that was what Fatman was referring to with his “setting the table” thing from a while back.

Firox

Smash Master

Don’t get me wrong, it’d still be massively hype for us, but... I’d still absolutely want a full reveal trailer.
Lol You call that the most underwhelming double reveal possible??!!

A) Getting Doomslayer would still be hype as hell
B) Hearing the words "Geno is coming" out of the mouths of Doug Bowser or Sakurai himself are as good as a reveal to me
C) Imagine not getting ANY reveal trailer and having Doug Bowser simply say, "Goomba is fighter #5, Geno, Sora, Doomslayer, Crash, Phoenix Wright, Spyro and Shantae are all Mii costumes and Igglybuff is fighter#6. Good night and go **** yourselves, the end." THAT, sir, is the most underwhelming double reveal possible.

Dynamic Worlok

Imagine a geno reveal in the style of k rool, except it's plant wearing the mii costume.

I actually really want to see that now. Just replace dk, diddy and rool with Mario, bowser and peach

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've barely been here for a year and I've been through some accounts but same to you dude. Same to you. I always enjoy reading your posts and your speculation is always a blast to read/react to. I'm glad to be apart of the Geno fandom and I'm glad to have you along with us so hopefully we get our dude sooner rather than later. Always a pleasure Fatman! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom